1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Deltawaves1

Deltawaves1 Getting sticky.

Great chapter. But I was wondering 2 things.
    1. Just confirming that Melanie us faultline.
    2. What time zone are you in TanaNari? i only ask because it will give me a reasonable point of reference forwhen you will post.

2. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

champagne

Is Pantheon going to approach any of Earth Aleph's governments to be part of their federation?

Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  3. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

"Hey guys, you want in this super-powered world war we got brewing?"

I mean sure, once Pantheon conquers everyone everywhere and ushers in a new age of prosperity and subjugation, then they should give Aleph a call and see if they want in on utopia, but right now they'd just be a politically useless bag of angry, rabid cats.

4. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

Which super-powered world war are you talking about? The one between Pantheon and the Endbringers, the one between Humanity and Scion, or the one between Pantheon's allies and the rest of the worlds?

On second thought, you might have a point.

5. Threadmarks: Ch 225- Riley
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 225- Riley

It's cold here. That wasn't exactly a surprise, of course, it was the middle of winter. But on Avalon, the temperatures tended to be pretty even thanks to the Yggdrasil's regulation of the weather. Or maybe it's because I'm accustomed to the weather near the coast, which is still warmer than this far inland.

"Are you going to be okay?" Amelia asked. No, I reminded myself. This is a mission, she's Gaea here. I smiled as she placed a hand gently on my shoulder. She's concerned about my wellbeing.

"Dinah gives me almost ten percent better odds than anyone else," I answered, looking up at her. "Besides, it's Clarice, not me. I'm perfectly safe."

"I know," she answered, her breath visible in the chill air. "But this is still Nilbog."

She's scared of him, I realized. What he is, what he represents, what he's done. A dark mirror to her own power, what she could have become. What she would have become, if Jack had gotten ahold of her. "I know," I answered with confidence, though it didn't seem to make her feel better. "You don't have to worry, there's nothing he can do that compares to me. He's a fairy tale. I'm a goddess."

She didn't seem comforted by that, either. If anything, it seemed to upset her more. I suck at making people feel better.

"Everything's ready on this end," Khepri responded. "Relay bugs are through, I'm expanding out to cover the city. It's strange, though. Even for this time of year, there should be more bugs. There's barely even any worms in the soil. I don't have the ability to search for anything."

"There's still time to cancel the mission," Defiant asked us. He had been the one most vocally opposed to this plan from the beginning. He was also the one that Dragon trusted to monitor this mission up close.

"No," Minerva answered immediately. "Our odds plummet if we wait much longer. Whatever inconveniences we face now, keep in mind we have an over ninety eight on this. Besides, we need this victory now, after the destruction of Behemoth got claimed by the CUI."

"Hardly seems we can consider Behemoth and Nilbog to be equivalent," Defiant countered. He doesn't like Minerva. That's a point in his favor. Then again, that was a point in almost everyone's favor.

"Not even close," she agreed. "But better than nothing by far."

The pair of them and Yum Kaax were managing our command center for this mission. Our other tinkers all had their own projects. Tir was working on large scale shunt devices for Japan alongside Hecate. Dragon would listen in, but she was putting most of her efforts on our world into establishing an industry base and moving the core of her operations to our world. Who knew populating our own nation-world would take so much work?

Their advice wouldn't make the difference in this mission, anyway. I'm the key component, I'm the one whose actions determine success or failure.

We had positioned at the epicenter of the city, the heart of it. Finding the Goblin King would be Taylor's job, but it was likely near us, or in the most impressive looking building left standing.

"The scan's complete," Yum Kaax informed us. "We're bringing up the dimensional viewer system."

There was a shimmer as the sky changed and our otherwise barren landscape was replaced by buildings. Most suffered from general lack of repair, but were mostly intact. Snow coated the ground in thick drifts. Old snow, from the looks of it, but still pristine. Throughout the city there was no sign that the smallest bit had been touched by life since it had fallen.

Big Sis saw it, too. "Everything's dead," she muttered.

"Not everything," Minerva answered. "We're getting life signs. Nilbog's monsters. There's not a lot of them, but they're there. Buried under the snow or hibernating in buildings. You'd think they were dead. In fact, a lot of them are dead."

"It's the cold," Yum Kaax replied. "His creations, they've stripped this city of resources. Probably running on solar energy just to keep themselves alive. But Nilbog isn't like Amelia. He can't just magic up biosystems and remodel them at will. He imagines and he creates, but that's it, there's no understanding of how or what he's creating. More like Genesis than anyone on our team. They may be stronger than anything Amelia or I can build conventionally, but they're starved for raw material. Proteins. Some of the complex saccharides, perhaps. And he doesn't know how to grow something that can make more."

"Wasteful," Defiant muttered. "He could have grown gardens. Potatoes and soybeans would cover most needs."

Yum Kaax simply shrugged. "I never said that he was smart. Clever, maybe, but definitely not smart. Then again, by the time he ever realized he needed seeds and other supplies, they were probably eaten by something."

"He'll wait until spring and have the living bring him the dead," Minerva added. "Then he'll consume what he has to and replace what he can. That's why Dinah said it had to be now, during this cold snap. It's the time when he's weakest, when he's most aware of the inevitable point when he no longer has the resources to keep his creations alive."

"If we were going for an assassination," Defiant volunteered, "Now would be the time. Or we can simply allow him to die of starvation."

"Dinah says that results in the death of millions of people," Minerva responded. "No matter what plan I suggest, or what counters we propose, it always results in millions of deaths. And, yes, I verified that it's human people, not Nilbog monster people. Yes, that applies to just leaving him alone. Eventually he'll get desperate enough to break out of containment."

"I believe I've found him," Khepri answered. "It's the one building with heat, and it's about a block from here. Aceso, time for you to shine."

"On it," I responded, taking a seat. Clarice and Bella, or stripped down models of them both, started to move. A couple buttons pressed, Bella stretched her beautiful wings, and they both shunted over into the heart of Nilbog's realm. My sensors started relaying data immediately

It was far colder here than on Avalon. Temperatures well below freezing, although nothing that could threaten our constructs. Calmly, I approached Nilbog's throne through Clarice. The building was obviously once the town hall, but was now covered in wild growths of plants and vines that had either died or went dormant. Flags and other colorful cloth draped the area like something from a medieval reenactment, but had long ago started to tear and fade. Now they were mere rags.

Two monsters barred the door. Both were large, feline in nature. Their heads were distinctly humanoid, however, and they had almost comically large breasts with much of their torsos keeping to a mostly human form. Their eyes were enormous in proportion to their faces, and they had minuscule mouths in comparison. This is the work of a man who forgot what humans looked like, I realized. Something intended to be beautiful, but instead only fit to disgust and disturb. This is why I'm the ideal candidate. I know how he thinks.

"Sphinxes," Minerva informed. An obvious statement, if there was ever one. But I waited for the insight that should come. "Nilbog's put more effort into these than most, and he's keeping them active despite the cold. They're some of his favorites. There were three, but they died recently. These two are what he had the supplies to rebuild. This is why Dinah's numbers spiked recently."

I might be able to use that.

"Who are you," one demanded. Her voice was wrong, irregular, an unnatural combination of high pitch and loud that wouldn't happen in most normal life. It was more like listening to Minnie Mouse with the volume up far too high. And her inflections were stressed, as if from a second rate actress trying to mimic royalty or dramatic speech. Or a child imitating something she watched.

"I wish to speak with Nilbog," I told them. "I am an emissary from the gods."

"Going a bit off script there," Gaea whispered, although there was no need to.

"No, it's perfect," Minerva insisted. "Riley, you're a genius." To my surprise, the insulting comment comparing me to Doctor Frankenstein or something similar didn't follow, a rarity. Probably just doesn't want to be unprofessional during the mission.

The sphinxes moved toward me, but a simple command brought Bella back and took her further off the ground. The gust from her wings disturbed the snow only barely. Neither of Nilbog's guards came out to mar the perfect white. "I will speak with your master, he is worthy," I told them. "You are not."

"Offer him a gift," Khepri responded. "Or, no, call it a blessing. We'll get it ready."

=============

A/N- Next chapter is either meeting Nilbog, or me cutting to a different scene entirely. Guess which!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  6. Divabot

Divabot KILL ALL THE HUMANS

One day someone needs to hit Amelia hard over the head with the point that Minerva has an excellent track record of being right about important things, and that it might be worth her while to think better of the advisor who is mostly right about important things.

7. Navrin

Navrin Experienced.

If you're talking about this chapter, it was Riley thinking poorly of Lisa for the reason that Lisa had previously imposed the duty upon herself to make sure Riley stayed miserable about the past and also worked to cut down on the sympathy that others felt about her. I think Riley disliking her quite a bit is more than understandable.

Also, when Lisa is wrong, she REALLY messes things up. Partially because she pushes for extremely high stakes moves without consulting with others or admitting to uncertainty.

8. Divabot

Ah, you're quite correct, it was Riley!

9. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

I wonder if you can blame it on shard conflict as well?

But Divabot isn't wrong. Lisa really is trying her hardest to keep everything and everyone together. To the point that she triggered again because of her reason for doing it. She's probably the member most likely to stick through everything, no matter what goes wrong, and all the time whilst everyone else but Taylor hates on her (or ignores her).

Both. Flashback (a different scene) showing a meeting with Nilbog.

Just to mess with everyone.

10. Jackercracks

Jackercracks At Two With Nature

As you wish.

11. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

Should be Yum Kaax.
    They could do even better though, have a brief interlude with Nilbog's view leading from a brief covering from the initial outburst to this goddess arriving and making an offer to meet with him. It would probably be a little bland though as there is only so much character development you can do with someone slowly forgetting humanity and losing faith in themselves during their gradual descent into insanity.

Alternatively it could be interesting to see what Accord thinks of this new government he helped create.

12. Cyclone

Cyclone Disciple of Zor

TanaNari likes this.
  13. Zarohk

Zarohk Worldbuilder, Idea Collector

That is exactly correct, thank you for saying so.

I don't know where either of you got the idea that the Eden-Shard powers come from anyone but Cauldron. It's very specifically stated in canon that both of these cases (The Travelers and Skidmark) are cases of someone who was not supposed to have them getting their hands on a number of Cauldron vials. Just because you stole something once doesn't mean you have access to it. The Travelers only had access to the Cauldron suitcase full of vials because the previous owner was either dead or fled in the wake of the Simurgh, something that Contessa couldn't predict.
    I can't find the exact quote about Skidmark, but a major part of that scene was that Lisa and Taylor grabbed a bunch of papers from the suitcase full of powers that he was carrying, and the papers were all about Cauldron. That's why Faultline's crew was so interested in that information.

And here is the quote about the Travelers finding the suitcase.

14. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

Looks like Dragon is going to be moving soon.

Any chance for a press conference where she 'comes out?'

Media: "Another gay superhero? Not really a juicy story."

Dragon: "Actually, I'm an AI."

Media: "..."

Dragon: "Also, I'm every single PHO mod at once."

Media: "..."

Dragon: "And I have a steady boyfriend, juicy enough yet?"

Media: "...we're gonna need a bigger front page."

...and then PHO imploded in a singularity of Robot Overlord jokes.

15. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

Wait till she lets them know her (technical) age and then how old her boyfriend is.

Or that all the parahumans going to the birdcage are only watched over by one person.

Or that she's not just every single PHO mod, but also a number of mods/boards, multiple satellites, etc.

The funny part is that Dragon is the one that posts them all. Using everyone else's accounts.

16. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

my theory is that someone either on the inside or an outsider got their hands on the vials and have been selling for personal profit,then they sell it to a 3rd source so it doesn't get traced back to them.

here's a song for this chapter,this is Blue Foundation's "Eyes On Fire" I think the song fits the tone of this chapter because from Riley's perspective Nilbog is a fraud that has almost the same power's has Gaea but has not done anything great with them.but also they're both killers lying to themselves to get by.
    ]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  17. Snake/Eater

it less of a federation and more of monarchical Confederation, right now they are a very loose militarized federacy.
    A Confederation is an association of sovereign states or communities, usually created by treaty but often later adopting a common constitution. Confederations tend to be established for dealing with critical issues, such as defense, foreign affairs, foreign trade, and a common currency, with the central government being required to provide support for all members. A confederation, in modern political terms, is usually limited so a permanent union of sovereign states for common action in relation to other states.

daimahou likes this.
  18. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

It would be amusing if Dragon's nation was populated by PHO nerds. "It has the best internet!"

PHO might crash from a sudden influx of traffic when Dragon comes out. A lot of people who generally aren't interested in it will likely come to converse with an intelligent AI.

Ryuketsu, Xaliuss, Faraway-R and 10 others like this.
  19. dasstan

dasstan :)

... The idea of Earth-Bet's Yudkowsky-analogue losing their shit at the big reveal would be hilarious.

Faraway-R, tordg, TanaNari and 3 others like this.
  20. Divabot

"Sorry, Skynet turns out to be the good guy."

and I shudder to think what Dragon would make of Roko's Basilisk

21. dasstan

dasstan :)

"Unreproducible results because you refuse to share the data? Hn." [ARTIFICIAL SNIFF OF DISDAIN]

22. Alterego9

Alterego9 Know what you're doing yet?

Isn't that basically just Saint but more open to AI being potentially good?

23. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

I just looked that up, and it occurs to me that the only rational and moral decision if you already buy into Timeless Decision Theory is to assume that Roko has already committed his life to helping his Basilisk take over the world, and murder him, in complete defiance of any possible blackmail, thus proving that you are not vulnerable to blackmail, and sparing yourself that fate because it will have been ineffective.

Faraway-R, Lantalia, Divabot and 2 others like this.
  24. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

With Dragon moving some servers over to Avalon, I wonder if she'd work with Pantheon to try and shift some of her software over to organic systems? Computer-to-brain tech should be within their reach.

25. ProdigiousThunder

ProdigiousThunder Know what you're doing yet?

Hey Colin do these heating vents make me look weird?

*Does a twirl* *is actually a building*

26. Pathos

Pathos The Corruptor of Campaigns

Already going on, it's mentioned in the Saint interlude.

27. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

Please tell me we'll be getting a bit more info on how THAT happened.

But....but...Minerva's not the Average 5-Year-Old Adviser*!

*-Rule 12

AckermannFxn, Diller, Divabot and 2 others like this.
  28. Snake/Eater

will they ever reach true Resurrection tech where it's not the memory being transferred,it's the mind being transferred to a new mind at the moment of death,and i hope to god that they did good job of disposing all the little bits of Butcher!Khepri,because the last thing is some organisation trying to build a cyborg-zombie clone army of Taylors,it wouldn't be that hard to do,Contessa could have done a path to butcher,picked up a piece they missed.kept or sold it for testing purposes.

daimahou and dxdragon like this.
  29. dxdragon

dxdragon Experienced.

Oh My. I do hope that Cyborg!Zombie!Butcher!Taylor doesn't become one of the 5 armies at the end.

30. Lantalia

Lantalia Making the rounds.

I'm hoping he's more our worlds Andrew Richter. The goal is friendly AI after all.

Faraway-R, Volkogluk, Pathos and 3 others like this.