1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

E-mail from QQ Not Received Bug

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by ezok, Dec 16, 2020.

1. SixthRanger

SixthRanger Herrscher of Lewds and Power

Add protonmail to the list of email providers that don't accept anything from QQ

Silverwing15, ToaKraka and gordianus like this.
  2. Composcreator

Composcreator Versed in the lewd.

Has there been any news?

3. Spartan3909

Spartan3909 Know what you're doing yet?

The same thing happened to SV, but it's already been fixed for them.

4. mwkillkenny84

mwkillkenny84 Versed in the lewd.

Same problem for me, my notifications seems to not arrive to my main mail provider (and the secondary one is on microsoft outlook, so it should even be worse if I understand it correctly).

5. Psychic_Duck

Psychic_Duck Not too sore, are you?

I’ve got the same problem, I’m not getting any notifications, I use outlook if that helps in anyway

6. ezok

ezok Well worn.

Soooo. Any news? Or will we just have to give up on hotmail being able to receive emails from QQ?

7. Zergivore

Zergivore Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

I would like to know if there's any email provider that works at all. Looks like for now outlook/hotmail, gmail, and protonmail are out.

TodaBruh, Psychic_Duck and BomeranG like this.
  8. MyddynEmrys

MyddynEmrys Getting sticky.

The mail associated with this account expired. I created a new one for the account, but I never received the verification mail (yes, I checked the spam folder). The current one is the third mail I tried before finally be able to verify this account.

Any idea why this happened (and how can I avoid it in future)?

Silverwing15 and TodaBruh like this.
  9. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

This is a known issue (the not receiving verification e-mail).

10. akaB

akaB Not too sore, are you?

There's a couple of people posting in a thread over on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/WormFanfic/comments/lr9gu9/questionable_questing_help/) saying they can't get in contact with anyone here while trying to setup their accounts and they apparently get insufficient privileges errors while trying to post in the Introductions Thread (or at least one does, and the other's agreeing with them), and no replies when they try that 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page. So if those 'contact us' link is sending you mods emails, it might be that the replies being sent to them might be disappearing as well if they're being sent from QQ.

TodaBruh and LurkingInTheDeceit like this.
  11. Biigoh

alethiophile ultima333 tehelgee

TodaBruh likes this.
  12. Ragura

Ragura Versed in the lewd.

gmx.net also accepts no emails from QQ

TodaBruh likes this.
  13. Composcreator

So I assume this issue is never going to be resolved

14. Nuthenry2

Nuthenry2 Consumer Of Lewds

QQ can't fix it, they have to get Microsoft to fix it but its automatically gets flagged again

15. Silverwing15

Silverwing15 Avid reader

I the only way to fix it that I know of is to switch your email(from whatever you have at the moment) to gmail.

16. Composcreator

i thought gmail was also not working. does it work?

17. Silverwing15

Silverwing15 Avid reader

It sure works for me.
    But to be fair.
    I switched from my previous mail to the gmail one.
    Apparently it helped somehow.

18. Rin

Rin Always up for a chat

I mean, based on what Alethiophile said earlier in the thread, I think the problem here is that Xenforo sends out too many e-mails. Might explain SB's similar problems too. It's a serial offender. You get an e-mail for every PM message that contains the full contents of the message, you get them for conversation updates and you get them for thread updates. Other things too.

I've had them basically all turned off for years because I'd check my e-mail and it would be a full page of QQ/SB giving me updates on stuff I'd see as soon as I logged on anyway. I'm not totally surprised that it's getting blocked by some providers. If enough people blocked it manually and reported it as spam, it would get put on blacklists.

Yes, you can turn it off, but if most people don't, that's probably many thousands of e-mails a day from a single source that isn't a known bulk e-mail provider or service with a high reputation like discord (which did something similar for a while).

At least, I assume that this is the problem. I'm not an expert.

Most Blacklist operators will take you off the list if you contact them, then reduce your e-mail output and follow some best practices. That said, I'm sure Alethiophile and the rest have tried to fix the problem as best they can already. They're pretty competent.

LurkingInTheDeceit likes this.
  19. Composcreator

swtiched this to gmail and it works now

20. Feederchan

Feederchan Do you want to make a wish?

I had to switch from hotmail to Gmail to get email confirmation.

21. litaispe

litaispe -

SB/SV appear to not send full-post text to a number of email providers, changing QQ to not send full post text is probably a simple fix given most story content on QQ will trip spam filters which tend to be very prudish.

I'ld also suggest ensuring the default email configuration is to not send email notifications to reduce how many people get emails by default and then use mark-as-spam to get rid of them.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Azrael Winter and casper2222 like this.
  22. DeusExCalamus

DeusExCalamus True Magic results from Courage of the Heart

FWIW I seem to be receiving emails now, but they're delayed by a couple days. I just got one that notified me of an update on the 15th.
    Progress?

23. Biigoh

This sounds like a e-mail latency thing... but only alethiophile or ultima333 could say

What's your mail host provider?

24. DeusExCalamus

I run my own mailserver.
    Mail from QQ is the only mail that exhibits the issue (at least as far as I can tell).
    fwiw there is...kinda a lot wrong with QQ's mail setup that could (and probably does) lead to issues that would be 'fairly' simple to fix.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  25. World Theory

World Theory Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Just ran into this problem with protonmail. Was trying to switch all my accounts off of gmail because google wants phone numbers to tie their data together. Remember that phone numbers require a real name to acquire. Google claims it's for 2 factor authentication. But there are other 2 factor authentication methods that are just as good that don't require giving your phone number up. (Example: Generating a list of one-time codes to save, and use when you need to authenticate.)

Speaking of authentication... What is the real the purpose of requiring an email address for verification? It's been a practice used by almost all websites since I first used the internet as a kid. And why do we trust emails? You can host your own, though I've heard it's annoying to get it right, such that it can handle the roving bands of frothing-at-the-mouth email bots. So it's not exactly like someone is governing emails to ensure they're legit. But apparently email is impossible to make secure, because encrypting it turns it into something that isn't an email. In the USA, you need to sign a privacy waiver if you want your medical records sent to your email, necessitated by the strict medical record privacy laws.

Do we have no better alternative? Maybe some kind of Email 2.0 thing built on blockchain and peer-to-peer communications? I'm kind of disappointed in humanity for not moving past email by now. I know we already have some working peer-to-peer networks that host websites, and the publisher can even make edits to them after they go onto the network.

An email version of federated Mastodon servers could even work. Just allow communications to be end-to-end encrypted, so people all along the network can't eavesdrop. Kinda the opposite idea of social media / microblogging.

Maybe I should stop here, before I get worked up.

ToaKraka likes this.
  26. DeusExCalamus

Seems to be working normally now.

27. Spartan3909

Still nothing through hotmail.

28. Composcreator

Good thing i'm sticking with gmail

29. Spartan3909

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I'm now having the same issue with fanfiction.net.

Nuthenry2 and BomeranG like this.
  30. BomeranG

BomeranG Not too sore, are you?

Same here. Noticed it through the last week or two. Wasn't sure at first what with some of them made it to my mail. (Checking it now it was at 22nd) But there were some, where my phone app updated but no notification was sent to hotmail.