1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome back to QQ. The search function will be unavailable for some hours until the index has been rebuilt.
    Dismiss Notice

Band (Worm/Scion)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by BrotherMouse518, Jul 26, 2020.

1. BrotherMouse518

BrotherMouse518 Know what you're doing yet?

Alright. So i had a shower thought; I should actually have the Scion side interact with the Brockton Bay/Worm side more. Not just around the Band. SO! I whipped up this strawpoll to see which of these yahoos get a brush with the supernatural.
    As always feel free to chime in with your answer and justification, without interaction I have lack of context and dirrection

Ajlove and Assblaster5000 like this.
  2. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 Know what you're doing yet?

I find the idea of a history teacher, no matter how bad, getting involved with the supernatural unreasonably funny. Why I can not fathom, but I do.

3. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

What we know about the LaBorn Patriarch is

1)He's hard.
    2)He knows he can't look after Aisha, and is willing to step aside for Brian.
    3)He married Celia Laborn, and had two kids with her.

I thought he was the one who taught Brian to box, but it's not in the Wiki, and I'm not going through Worm to find out.

The impression I got was a hard man, who knows he's kinda terrible, and thus, tries to minimise how much his bad traits screw those he cares about.

Now that I think of it..... A big, tough black guy who doesn't like drugs and druggies is at odds with all three big gangs in the Bay.

Assblaster5000 likes this.
  4. BrotherMouse518

Well, regardless of the outcome of the poll, he will be a character. Also try to give an ACTUAL reason why he aint there for both his kids and why he aint fighting for them. Don't matter how bad a dad you are, your baby mama is a crack whore you could not do worse you fuckup.

Simonbob and Ajlove like this.
  5. Simonbob

One of my little sisters friends had a mother with issues. The mother in question tried to look after her daughter, tried to raise her right, but couldn't.

When the dad remarried, and got his life together, she sent her daughter off to live with him, away from her loonie, violent, unpredicable, mother. Who then killed herself, giving her daughter all her stuff.

She put it in her Will. She thought this was the only thing she could do for her daughter.

There are some really fucked up people out there. They might love their kids, and still know they're bad for them. And, that's before Family Court gets into the mix, because there's problems there too.

Brian wanted money and legitamcy to save his sister. His dad might well have been in a similar situation. Or, not.

The E88 are big in town, after all.

Ajlove likes this.
  6. BrotherMouse518

True. We dont know the situation of Casa Laborn beyond Celia being a crackwhore and Papa Laborn (who in this fic is Kevin) being....absrnt.

Ajlove likes this.
  7. Charles Flynn

Charles Flynn Not too sore, are you?

I'll be honest here, I voted for Gladly. Largely because he's so much of a pretentious jackass in canon that I wouldn't mind seeing him get eaten by a dragon.

I'll admit, I was partly swayed towards the Brian's Father and Panacea camps, but, ultimately, I realized... there's a Gladly-shaped hole in my heart. And it leads into a draconic buffet line.

So vote Gladly.

He probably deserves it.

8. BrotherMouse518

Sadly nobody, not even Gladly, would die or be seriously injured in such a scenario (honestly thinking of having it be side story bit) and it'd be;

1. World Building
    2. An excuse for me to drag more people into the mad world of myth
    I'm gonna be up front with you 2.X is still not even outlined and I may just pad out the time between me banging my head against the wall with more PHO posts and occasionally posting my shower thoughts.

Like for instance, did you know that there are deified scions introduced in 1e's Scion: God book that are an entire plot hook?

The Band called "The Keepers of The World" are a Band of Scions conspiring to use a massive amount of Legend, Will, and a fuckton of Fatebindings to sever the connections between The World (as in the planet Earth), the Overworld (Heaven, Mount Olympus, Yorubaland, Asgard, etc), and make the trip to the Underworld (Hell, Hel, Duat, Valhalla, etc) one way only.

Why? So that Humanity can be freed from the influence of the Gods, yes even these Scions.

Who is in this Band?

Himiko (as in the Queen of Yamatai) Scion of Amaterasu
    Hernan Cortez (Yes as in the guy who fucked the Aztecs) Scion of Quetzalcoatl (I'm not kidding)
    Wayland Smith/Volund the Smith Scion of ... Some Aesir we never find out about
    Herakles/Hercules Scion of Zeus
    Imhotep Scion of Ptah
    Marinette, some fucking ugly ass Haitian Loa who is the most vile and amoral of the bunch and just wants to rule Haiti forever.

I've already made plans to incorporate at least three of them.

9. Simonbob

I voted for LaBorn, I though he could be interesting.

BrotherMouse518 likes this.
  10. BrotherMouse518

Alright ladies and gents, the greater synopsis of 2.X is done along with the main focus character's sheet. I'm going to try and outline ALL of 2.X before I start writing individual chapters and such and hopefully this means that you'll get more chapters in quicker succession followed by a bit of a lull. Just trying to figure things out NGL. In the meantime, it's looking like the Strawpoll results are coming in nicely with Amy in the front, Daddy Laborn in second, and Parian in third place. Votes have more or less spoken. Here's the thing, I kinda wrote the perfect niches for our top three by accident? So congrats those of you who voted those three, they're all getting caught up in this bullshit. Gladly? I have plans for him don't worry. Skidmark and Hakenvulf? Not fatebound but most certainly running in to supernatural BS.
    Don't worry, the actual top three will get greater focus than the bottom three. As for how and how severe? Nothing too life changing.

Anywho, quick rundown of what 2.X is gonna be:

It's title will be Bend & Break, it'll be the last time Walt has POV for a while and he's only the POV for one chapter, Taylor once again gets POV but only for a chapter (this will contain Foreshadowing and hints at the greater metaplot), and then for the rest of 2.X Lily becomes the focus and we see a proper Visitation and what a Hero-Tier Scion's capabilities really are.

Now for some questions to ask you;

Regarding the character sheets I make for the Band, should I post em (or links to em) as they get their Visitations or all at once when the Band actually gets together?

Do you guys want more PHO Posts (Traffic Reports, Art of Asskicking, other similar bits) in between lulls in posting or pure focus on the main story? (I do PHO posts in one sitting to make them as off the cuff and organically internet chat speak as possible)

What about the fic do you dislike and why?

Where do you feel I can improve?

Do I do these progress report updates to often?

That's all for now, I'll probably be lurking for the rest of the day as I write the outline and will be able to reply semi quickly. Have a good one!

Assblaster5000 and Ajlove like this.
  11. BrotherMouse518

Feedback time; Outlining 2.1 you guys want the little "Toku Pizza Party" that Lily and Donnie roped everyone in to or do you feel it would detract from the main content of the chapter; Day 1 of Winslow?

Ajlove likes this.
  12. Charles Flynn

Charles Flynn Not too sore, are you?

The second. I'd prefer to get to the meat of things.

13. Miller At the Wash

Miller At the Wash I trust you know where the happy button is?

Flashback it mid-chapter maybe.

14. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 Know what you're doing yet?

I have to wonder how this happened, the Mesoamerican Gods were bloodthirsty sure, but Cortez wasn't exactly a good thing for their followers. I'd also expect Tezcatlipoca to be the one that made Cortez into a Scion, not Quetzalcoatl, He(? She? Fate's corrupted me okay?) tends to be the nice one among that grouping of pantheons.

Not really sure how Scion treats all of this lorewise though, as far as I know Tezcatlipoca doesn't even exist in that/this universe.

15. BrotherMouse518

Short Answer; Quetzalcoatl went to Spain, disguised himself as papa Cortez and for it on with Mrs Cortez. Why? Because he felt like it.

Hernan kinda lost it after thsy, finding out you killed your own people and that youre a demigod will do thay to you.

His role in the Keepers is ome wbere he sacrofices himself and an entire city to fuel the Keeper's plan.

16. Extras: Art of Asskicking #2
    BrotherMouse518

Due to some extra work coming my way I won't have as much time to write this and outlining has kind of gotten to a slog so for a bonus thing to tide you all over I give you a bonus Art of Asskicking, Homebrew to come sometime tomorrow. Enjoy!

■​

Welcome to the Parahumans Online message boards.
    You are currently logged in, Mori_Corvus
    You are viewing:
    • Threads you have replied to
    • AND Threads that have new replies
    • OR private message conversations with new replies
    • Thread OP is displayed.
    • Fifteen posts per page
    • Last ten messages in private message history.
    • Threads and private messages are ordered chronologically.
    ■​

♦ Topic: Monsters; Fair Folk; Spring-Heeled-Jacks
    In: Boards ► The Art of Asskicking
    Mori_Corvus
    (Original Poster) (Verified Scion) (Verified Asskicker) (Corax MC)
    Posted On Jan 9th 2011:
    Let me start by saying I don't give a rat's ass if you idiots believe any of the posts we make on this board.

Got that?

Good

Contrary to the press of the day, Spring Heeled Jack was not a demon and he wasn't one person.

Spring-Heeled-Jacks, as they were named by the Victorian London Press, are a breed of the Fair Folk that made their first appearances in The World around 1830 and then reported by Mortal press in 1837.

They are Fair Folk that stick to urban metropolitan areas with abundant alleys and verticality. Their motives vary greatly; some prefer to merely scare small children and steal trinkets or baubles, some prefer to explore the dark and abandoned corners of cities and emulate the urban explorers and parkour enthusiasts, and a troubling amount more prefer to stalk and hunt Mortals for some sick sport.

Regardless of what they do, they will do it as cruelly and with as much malice as possible.

Some important information regarding these creatures;

1. Spring-Heeled-Jacks stand at three feet tall at the shortest and four and a quarter feet at the tallest.
    2. Their skin is jet black and they perspire an oil like substance that allows them to slip through even the most narrow of spaces.
    3. They carry knives made of a material that cannot be found anywhere in The World and cut better than any knife made by Mortal means.
    4. Their maximum jump height is twenty feet vertically and/or horizontally
    5. They enjoy talking, a lot.

What can you do if you encounter them?

If unarmed, run. If armed, make sure to lead your target. Either way you need to make sure you make every action count, they can out pace any Mortal and their natural coloration makes it very difficult to attack them in their preferred hunting grounds of light-less alleys.

Being Fair Folk they have three particular weaknesses of note;

1. Iron will burn them on contact and the pain will be excruciating enough to give you an opening to either finish it off or run
    2. Any kind of cream will make them especially inebriated and if you somehow manage to catch wind of a spot they will ambush from, leave out bowls of cream and they will greedily drink it down and be too drunk to fight back. Don't bother trying to placate them as they attack you, they'll just take the cream after they kill you.
    3. Strawberries on the other hand they will find irresistible and will chase any that are thrown nearby. The fresher and the less processed the better.
    That's it.

(Showing page 1 of 27)

►Morgan Sinister
    Replied On Jan 9th 2011:​
    Wait, isn't Fair Folk another way of saying fairy? We're supposed to be scared of Tinkerbell now?​

►Tumbles
    Wait you don't mean like Grimm's Fairy Tales Fairies right?​

►Mori_Corvus (Original Poster) (Verified Scion) (Verified Asskicker) (Corax MC)​
    Spring-Heeled-Jacks are Unseelie and that should be enough, if that's not enough then read a fucking book.​

►White Fairy (Veteran Member)​
    Ok this is going to sound rich coming from someone with Fairy in their name, but what do you mean @Mori_Corvus?​

►Lasersmile
    I KNOW THIS!​

Fairies are divvied up into two courts. according to Scottish folklore​

You got the Seelie Court who are more or less benevolent but still very dangerous to deal with. I've got a direct quote right from one of my books on the subject!​

"The Seelie Court were described as those fairies who would seek help from humans, warn those who have accidentally offended them, and return human kindness with favors of their own. Still, a fairy belonging to this court would avenge insults and could be prone to mischief. Seelies were known for playing pranks on humans and having a light hearted attitude, forgetting their sorrows quickly and not realizing how they affect the humans they play pranks on."​

Basically think A Midsummer Night's Dream​

Then you have the Unseelie Court who are lean towards the malevolent but not exactly Evil per say. Again a direct quote;​

"The Unseelie Court, conversely, was used to describe the darkly-inclined fairies. Unlike the Seelie Court, no offense was deemed necessary to bring down their assaults. As a group (or "host"), they were thought to appear at night and assault travelers, often carrying them through the air, beating them, and forcing them to commit such acts as shooting at cattle. In Scotland they were seen as closely allied with witches. Like the beings of the Seelie Court who are not always seen as benevolent, neither were the fairies of the Unseelie Court always malevolent. Folklore includes stories of Unseelies becoming fond of particular humans if they are viewed as respectful, and choosing to make them something of a pet."​

My guess is these are the most Unseelie of the Unseelie court.​

►Noveltry
    Ok, so in the last one @TJ_On_The_Moon called Vista a "Starborn" and said that (what I assume) Parahuman powers won't always work the same way on stuff like Nasties. Does the same apply to fairies @Mori_Corvus?​

►Numbah1Celtaboo (Verified Scion) (Verified Asskicker)​
    Forgive my kinsman, he's not big on the internets and we kinda forced him to make an account in the first place and getting him to post twice was a chore in ajnd of itself. Yeah @Mori_Corvus won't be replying.​

He also has been punching my arm whenever I tell him that there are people asking for more info.​

It's starting to bruise!​

Anyway, short answer; yeah.​

From the few times that our fellow Verified Asskickers have seen Starborn encounter actual fairies (and not some fucking poser like that OO-lame chick) I can tell you that "Master" powers won't work at all. Everything else? Probably fair game depending on what it is and where you are.​

If you are in side the realm of the fairies, then you are SOL for everything but good old physical shit.​

ALSO do not lie to them, do not try to weasel your way out of a deal, and FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THE GODS DO NOT RESPOND TO THE QUESTION​

"May I have your name?"​

WITH YOUR ACTUAL NAME!​

Say something like "You can call me X" and you will be able to walk away with your identity intact.​

Also, never party with them if you value being a person and not turned into a tea cozy or a dog or something.​

And with that I have a hot date with a member of House Fiona, and I shall leave you all to wonder what the hell I mean by that.​

End of Page. 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27

■​

17. Simonbob

►Noveltry
    Replied On Jan 9th 2011:
    Is it an actual House? Or just their member?

What? We are on QQ, here.

18. BrotherMouse518

Pfft!

Yes. I am taking the Noble Houses of the Fae from Changeling: The Dreaming and using them as the Nobility for fairies. They are not 1:1 the same as the fairies are not Changelings. (Although Changelings are a tyoe of fairy in Scion when I run it) let alone from C:tD.

Fiona is one of the Seelie Houses and their shtick is they are VERY passionate and very much into revelry and merryment. Especially in the bedroom.

They also partied with Fionn MacCumhail and his Fianna. Hence the Scion connection!

Ajlove likes this.
  19. Extras: Homebrew: Spring-Heeled-Jacks
    BrotherMouse518

Spring-heeled-Jack w/Curly Mustache

Tier: Hero
    Archetype: Rival
    Qualities: Group Tactics (Leader), Armor Piercing (Spring-Heeled-Jack Knife), Twitchy (already factored in), Natural Camo (Nocturnal), Slippery, Leaps and Bounds, Mystic Arsenal (Spring-Heeled-Jack Knife), Addiction - Strawberries (Sandbag), Strange Inebriation - Cream (Sandbag), Vulnerability - Iron (Sandbag)
    Flairs: Keep Away!,
    Drive: Sadism, Thrills, being a nuisance, Strawberries and Cream
    Primary Pool: 9
    Secondary Pool: 7
    Desperation Pool: 5
    Health: 3
    Defense: 4
    Armor: 0
    Initiative: 8
    Extras: +1 Enhancement for Offensive Stunts/Actions, +2 Enhancement for all other Stunt

Spring-heeled-Jack

Tier: Hero
    Archetype: Foe
    Qualities: Group Tactics, Armor Piercing (Spring-Heeled-Jack Knife), Twitchy (already factored in), Natural Camo (Nocturnal), Slippery, Leaps and Bounds, Mystic Arsenal (Spring-Heeled-Jack Knife), Addiction - Strawberries (Sandbag), Strange Inebriation - Cream (Sandbag), Vulnerability - Iron (Sandbag)
    Flairs: Keep Away!,
    Drive: Sadism, Thrills, being a nuisance, Strawberries and Cream
    Primary Pool: 7
    Secondary Pool: 5
    Desperation Pool: 3
    Health: 1
    Defense: 1
    Armor: 0
    Initiative: 6
    Extras: +1 Enhancement for Offensive Stunts/Actions

NOTE: A Spring-Heeled-Jack's knife cannot channel Purviews or make Marvels, they are not Relics merely a very good knife. Be sure to note this when utilizing the Mystic Arsenal Quality with this foe.

New Qualities

Natural Camo
    Type: Defense
    The Antagonist is blessed with a skin coloration or pattern that assists in blending in with it's preferred environment. Specify the Antagonist's preferred environment, attempts to employ any Physical Stunt/Action suffer a +2 Complication while the Antagonist is in this environment and the Antagonist gains a +2 Enhancement to any Stunt or Action related to sneaking in this environment.

Slippery
    Type: Utility
    The Antagonist is very slippery, whether by being slimy or perspiring a natural lubricant. The Antagonist gains a +2 Enhancement to slip through narrow passages and gaps appropriate of their Size and attempts to ensnare or grapple the Antagonist with this quality suffer a +2 Complication.

Leaps and Bounds
    The Antagonist's preferred method of movement is their great acrobatic abilities. The Antagonist gains a +2 Enhancement to Stunts/Actions where the Antagonist utilizes them

Compulsion/Addiction
    Type: Sandbag
    As Unnatural Hunger/Behavior but for a mundane source (i.e. an addiction to Strawberries)

Strange Inebriation
    Type: Sandbag
    Rather than the usual faire of narcotics or alcohol, the Antagonist becomes inebriated from a strange source (i.e. becoming drunk off of cream) and can be made Vulnerable or Out of Action through this inebriation.

New Flairs

Keep Away!
    Cost: None
    Duration: Instant
    Subject: Self
    Range: Short
    Action: Simple
    Cooldown: The Opponent comes within Close Range with the Antagonist or 1d3 Turns
    The Antagonist moves back two range bands from nearest Close Range Opponent

Example Trophies:

Spring-Heeled-Jack Knife
    The knives carried by Spring-Heeled-Jacks are made from a metal found within the fae realms and is superior to almost all mundane mortal crafted cutlery. They are also the only source of this metal and thus could be melted down as material to craft something else with the metal's enhanced properties.

Springy Heels
    When properly preserved and treated, the lower legs of these malevolent faeries could be used as a wonderful reagent that many sorcerers and relic makers would pay handsomely to get their hands on.

Example Crafted Relic:
    Spring-Heeled Shoes (Rating 3)
    Footwear imbued with the same agility and lower body strength of a Spring-Heeled-Jack. Perfect for enhancing ones own jumping abilities or simply enhancing kicks. Grants +2 Enhancement to any Stunt primarily utilizing the legs of the user.

Knack: Super-High-Jump
    Increase the Scale of your jump by the number of successes of your Knack Skill Roll (Maximum of 3)