1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Battletech: The Ghost Who Walks (Battletech Isekai)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Imperator Pax, Jun 5, 2021.

1. RoyalTwinFangs

RoyalTwinFangs For The Chancellor!

Will Gene be getting that Devastator or will someone else get it?

Omni likes this.
  2. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

Gene will be using it as his primary assault mech, but there will be instances where others swap into it, if the current outline of the Black Jack fight scenes hold given that Gauss rifles don't heat up like regular weapons and there are some hostile enviroment fights coming up Gauss Rifles though really reflect how Gene prefers to fight even though there is an ammunition requirement.

3. kioras

kioras Versed in the lewd.

So how do the Davions even handle a reward like this.

This is a shitlosd of desperately needed hardware being handed over. Not even counting the very important documentation and tech manuals hidden all here.

Does Gene get a few vehicle companies as his share, does the FedSuns throw more funding at IS?

Does all the units involved in finding this walk out with large bonuses also?

Thanks for the gear but spare us the headaches?

4. RoyalTwinFangs

RoyalTwinFangs For The Chancellor!

You meaning going for the head?

Omni, Silverbullet and Imperator Pax like this.
  5. Imperator Pax

Early in the chapter, Gene made a pointed comment to Yvonne, loosely quipping "i don't have a problem with material what I need are soldiers"

This sets up for in the 3020s where those recruits are available. Of course by that point Gene in both this primarily timeline and the Whoops sidestory, are pretty tightly associated to House Davion, and then later the Federated Commonwealth

As for everyone else, thats going to be a little awkward,

What they thought was happening "OH GOD are we under attack" in response to being to get the fuck up and into your mechs, followed by four five hours hiking through the back country in formation being yelled at to stay vigilant followed by two more days of standing around, and then being told "OH yeah we found a star league cache guess who all is one the duke's christmas card list." There will be rwards for everyone but it will vary based on how Sandoval wants to do that, since he's FMDMM.

In the near future:

"Oh look I only have twelve rounds left." Looks around, climbs up on the only hill for about five miles of open grassland, "I also have the high ground, and there is only a company of you." Five minutes later "Also I still have PPCs."

6. Bofors40mm

Bofors40mm Experienced.

the answer is being made into nobility probably a count or maybe even a duke. and having favors owed from the ruling family never hurts at all

Least Devotee and Omni like this.
  7. Silverbullet

Silverbullet Experienced.

Cunningham is going to jump his bones. Straight up offer her hand in marriage for this.

[​IMG]

She’s not bad looking. I’m just soured on her from that one Flashpoint where you’re taking down a Cappie terror cell and she gets mad if you prioritize rescuing hostages over killing the ring leader.

Stating, “It would have been a tragedy but one we could have blamed on you and saved face. Your whole purpose is a deniable asset. Take your C-Bills and leave I have a mess to clean up.”

So yeah, at least Renauld “Bob Kurita” Yamaguchi is always forthright with me in his flashpoints, works with me in situations where the contract changes like red hare fiasco, and at the end of Heavy Metal he doesn’t go all, “you have failed me.” But invites the Marauders over for a damn party admitting they’re the closest thing to friends he has. His level of chill is no doubt him being disgraced and exiled to the opposite side of human space from the Combine.

8. Bofors40mm

Bofors40mm Experienced.

Isn't Cunningham a Countess?

Silverbullet likes this.
  9. Imperator Pax

Yes, she is the Countess of Kestrel, which presumably means she's her father's heir apparent.

Omni and Silverbullet like this.
  10. Bofors40mm

Bofors40mm Experienced.

hmmm I wonder what stuff kestrel has that's valuable for a merc unit

11. BlueRanger O-Doom

BlueRanger O-Doom Not too sore, are you?

What really makes me laugh is that Gene is really reminding me of Nick Moran ‘The Chieftain’. When he’s at rest or talking about the equipment I get the same vibe from Gene as in Chieftains YouTube videos.

12. Bofors40mm

Bofors40mm Experienced.

speaking of the hoplite it really does need a refit, you mind if I give it one?

Omni and Imperator Pax like this.
  13. Threadmarks: First Davion 12 (Extra)
    Imperator Pax

First Davion 12
    (Extra)

She shut the door, even though it was more for show than anything. She doubted anyone would eavesdrop but the glass facade was hardly going to stop anyone from noticing them. 'Just' Elidere would have warranted elevation into the petty nobility of the Federated Suns. One of the first things to likely to happen on New Avalon was of course that the Prince would knight the Victor of Elidere, and Ander's moon.

Golden spurs and a laurel wreath were about the bare minimum of public recognition he could expect on arriving at the capital of the Federated Suns.

She reached down to smooth her skirts. "They're still working to inventory the cache."

"I didn't expect them to finish." He replied tossing the stack of paper, the colonel sighed, "That should address what we know the Dragoons had in inventory in 3005 and the approximate roll out dates, the Imp I have no idea on."

That wasn't what she wanted to here. It was an admission which created other issues. Lady Yvonne had wanted details and if Alexandria was going to guess they were about to be put in a situation where the dragoons raised even more questions than they had had.

She coughed slightly, "We," Alexandria declared in as serene a tone as she could manage, "need you to order the suspension of work on the San Saba."

"Excuse me?"

"I've spoken with Lord Aaron, and we have come to the conclusion that a portion of the cache needs to be shipped to New Avalon immediately. Since most of the Cache are lost tech vehicles." Being largely constructed from between 2660 and 2710 or so. "I also need you to depart for New Avalon using one of your unit's JumpShips carrying those supplies."

... and of course the problem she had was what to do. As unit liaison she should have been remaining with the unit that had been the planned itinerary after all. After all it would have looked base to accompany the colonel to New Avalon without having participated in Elidere... but now there was teh Cache near Purki.

She expected to be criticized for failing to press some advantage or another and that was why she had a migraine. The recovery of the lost depot of the 63rd Mechanized Infantry Division that had originally been posted to Elider had included things like spare ASF frames, but mostly had included equipment for mechanized infantry. Carriers, and small arms along with other infantry equipment. Impressive, but not nearly as impressive as the Victory won on Elidere.

"I was under the impression that the Duke intended to distribute mechs to his knights."

.... an apt quote. That was what it was. "Some will receive mechs... " She paused, "Some of the cache will go to the Training Battalion," For the Robinson Battle Academy. "However what I need you to take to New Avalon is for an academy there."

"Have you put together a list of what needs to go?" He asked.

... and that was the other problem. "They haven't finished the inventory," she remarked, returning the matter to what the conversation had opened with.

"And you haven't decided what should go and what should stay." He replied, "What's the objective, what are you trying to accomplish with the units you want shipped to New Avalon? Are these likely to be pushed to a training battalion, see military service with a frontline after. Or is this about having a collection for reference at the school?"

He had other questions, which only distracted from the issue.

He paused, "My suggestion is you go through what's listed in the inventory, and select either on the basis of what is the most available or the least. Unless there is something in particular you know New Avalon wants, but even as steerage there is only so much space in any individual dropship." Which wasn't to say Gene didn't implicitly understand the reason behind asking for the San Saba, "Do you have enough dropships to warrant Lebanon diverting from here, or Colorado?" He was a little loath to taking Pasha off seen, going deeper into the FedSuns would make it difficult for the Azami to do their black box comms... "Lebanon is a Liberty class, four collars, so three plus San Saba. If you mean to bring more than that, Colorado, but it is my advice that the Colorado would better remain on station if we have to respond to a combine incursion."

Admittedly that hinged having dropships to deploy the Robinson Rangers alongside any response to the Combine coming over the border.
    --
    His Grace the Duke of Robison, Minister and Field Marshal of the Draconis March could not have found himself in a better mood. There was a certain point in a man's life that one simply had to accept that you'd never know everything... most men just accepted that to mean understanding their wives, but there was a simple reality that there were more things than just that. At fifty five Aaron Sandoval understood his highest responsibilities were to the people of the Draconis March. A realization he had come to late in life, because of course he hadn't been the heir.

It was gratifying to hear that the Camerons of old had had concerns about the combine. It would have been better still to have the camerons act on these concerns, but he supposed if they had he'd never have found himself in the position he was in. If, on the domestic front, there was going to be anything troublesome about all of this it would be Elidere and Ander's Moon's in particular but the other venerators of the star league hoping to make pilgrimages to the Star league sites, and have a look around.

Still there was no getting around he was in a wonderful mood, and that there would need to be rewards for all involved... even if in real terms there was only one person responsible. The Colonel was leaving though. Colonel Shepherd was due to depart his domain for that of Lord Aaron's own liege lord, and the First Prince would have additional gifts awaiting him.

... and well he supposed it was entertaining that the Prince's champion hadn't predicted. If she had had any indication that there was ... this Brian Cache thing on his world she'd have never left. Colonel Shepherd had explained of course that the Caches had been casting interrogatives looking for the right sort of person. Someone who knew how to return the guide handshake, apparently the broadcast had been looking for a while now... maybe since the Combine had invaded Robinson back during the first succession war.

Purki's factories and the industrial sprawl that had once defined the region had been laid to waste by that invasion, and while the deep bunkers hundreds of meters beneath the surface were not effected it seemed reasonable to conclude other systems closer to the surface had been. It didn't matter. In two days of work, and really less than that, his domain was even better positioned to fight the snakes. The printers could work overtime, they were earning it. Reproducing star league manuals just for the prestige of being the one to have the originals was worth their salaries, but the real value would be in training his armor to use them.

"She has your nose to the grind then?" He asked applying the break to his wheel chair.

The young man looked up as Colonel Cameron moved to attention. The inventory was, when you got down to it a list of names and numbers. There was a certain point where you had an inventory and you were lucky if you knew what you were looking at.

Formal greetings out of the way lord Aaron did his best to look at the paperwork. "So the Archer?"

"It makes sense for it to be the most common heavy mech in the cache." Colonel Shepherd replied, "Its not a bad mech, and its no surprise being an age of war design that they'd be in Caches like this, what will you do with the Highlanders?"

"I was considering offering one to Colonel Cameron."

"Ah thank you your grace.

Lord Aaron nodded, "But really what I'm here for is to discuss the readiness of the Company. With you departing are there going to be nay issues with training them?"

"Nothing stands out. For better or worse everyone has experience in battlemech duels, given the ubiquitous nature of the Highlander in SLDF regiments and we have enough of them, I'd almost recommend moving half the company over." He suggested. "I know that most of your rangers are using personnel mechs and that might prompt objections. I have every confidence in Bahar's ability to instruct in advanced maneuver and engagement."

... and he had every right to be confident, "Of course, I wasn't questioning the Captain's ability. She demonstrated that taking down that warhammer during the trials."
    ==

--
    Notes: Here, small Sunday update. So in July the planned schedule changing up some, now before we get to that I will be attempting to return to updating the expanded Luxen content it has its own thread. However we will have a series of interludes focusing on Bahar, Septim, and also Bubbles and Beau with their respective specialties. Also possibly Hanzo So basically the named staff thus far, as well as the Duelist Task Force over the course of the Robinson series of content that takes place while Gene is off doing New Avalon stuff.

Which brings us to the conclusion of this arc, and what it means. Now that we are here, I can actually post parts of the Last Gunslinger series of snippets for Hesperus without hopefully any confusion of where did the gauss rifles or Arrow IV come from in terms of that battle, or for that matter using those in the second battle of Dieron in the alternate timeline of there goes the HPG network.

14. Bofors40mm

Bofors40mm Experienced.

With the contents of that cache it might be possible ro reestablish one of the old Robinson Ranger units in addition to the other stuff it will be used. The Sandovals would need ro get the lift for the new unit though

Omni likes this.
  15. Imperator Pax

In the long term there is enough material to potentially restart some old Age of War designs and have them actually be built at Robinson with the First Prince's support, which means the need for a larger garrison force.

Production in this case are like, Archer, and Dervish. The Feds already have a Marauder line in operation, because GM.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    Omni likes this.
  16. Kataphraktos

Kataphraktos Versed in the lewd.

Gene didn't even try to snag some Highlanders?

Omni likes this.
  17. Bofors40mm

Bofors40mm Experienced.

Hmmmm age of war designs. Does that include non royal Reunification war era designs?

Omni likes this.
  18. Imperator Pax

Why fight over Highlanders, when there are Alacorns Mk VI's in the cache? And partly He doesn't have the mechwarriors or the mech bays to store mechs with the present expectation of needing to move Davion mechs for the campaign. [Not when the duelist group is slated to be billeted aboard the overlord, alongside the missile boats]

But what he does have are vehicle bays a plenty so there are cold logistical reasons at play here.

[Seriously I didn't process / remember how old both of those designs are, the famous configurations of both the Alacorn and Highlander are both the Early 2590s.]

Yes. A lot of this is going to allocate for stuff a ways in the future, particularly after the Arano restoration [since I've outlined the 3024-26 years around the HBS game, and have ahd that on the books since I started this timeline]

Omni likes this.
  19. Bofors40mm

Bofors40mm Experienced.

Hmmmm for good mechs from that era....not much on the light front that the SLDF had other than the Falcon and the Firestarter. Maybe the Ostscout. And of course you have the trio of classic 20 ton bug mechs which are at best meh
    Mediums....the kyudo(albeit the OG model), wolverine,kintaro(which is still in production in suns space at that if not very many being made)the griffin, the dervish, and the shadow hawk for the calvary role. The Hunchback and the Hoplite and maybe the Swordsman for the trooper role. Oh and you can't forget the OG Rifleman.
    You might see a clint or two in the cache along with the Wyvern, Whitworth, Scorpion, Sentinel, and Phoenix Hawk.
    For heavies....oh boy. You've got the Champion, Ostol and Ostroc for the calvary role. The ostwar, Orion, Black Knight, Crusader(the OG model that is), Catapult, Guillotine,Archer Warhammer, Hammerhands, Battleaxe, and the Thunderbolt in various 4/6 roles. And the Helepolis in the artillery mech role. And the Galahad in the 3/5 sniper of doom role. And maybe some Lancelots.
    For the assaults...The Mackie, the Longbow, the Emperor(probably the less advanced variant), the Highlander, the Pillager(same as the Emperor), and the Stalker for the classic slow murder machines.
    With the Striker, Victor, Thug, and Banshee( needs to be given the old 3-S treatment ASAP) for the fast assault role.

20. Imperator Pax

... I just checked the 2578 version of the Black Knight has endo steel... hell a lot of the late 26th century (Thug, Wyvern and they're not even Royal specific models) mechs have endo steel for some goddamned reason and yet somehow no one figured out a way to keep endo steel production going through the succession wars despite having been in production for two plus centuries. GOD DAMN IT FASA stop giving me a headache.

Least Devotee, Omni and kashim27 like this.
  21. Bofors40mm

Bofors40mm Experienced.

Good news! There are a lot of downrated models. But yeah the endosteel bit never made sense to me. If nothing else you'd think the endosteel forges that would be in orbit of worlds like Tharkad would be intact. Not Luthein though. The LCS Nightwind probably put paid to them in 2787

Omni, kashim27 and Imperator Pax like this.
  22. Bofors40mm

Bofors40mm Experienced.

Anyways i hope that list I made is useful to ya

Imperator Pax likes this.
  23. Imperator Pax

Yeah it was similar to the one I already had.

One thing as ubiquitous as the Centurion is (litterally everyone has it on their random tables) its a sucession wars davion mech. Its not Star League, its not even 'we built this for the league and there was this one really early run i.e. the 7A with its large Laser, or the Panther, with its large laser' no its a davion mech from the succession wars and yet everyone has them.

As for say the champion, they're present because Bergan has the right connections in the hegemony to get them bought from the factory just basically to be put in holes in the ground and forgotten about (which admittedly is a plot point I've used in other stories)

Omni likes this.
  24. Bofors40mm

Bofors40mm Experienced.

You have the equivalent lists for AFVs or ASFs done? If not I can do that.
    Also as related to the Centurion it used to be made in the FWL until late in the 2nd SW and even then the parts where still being made. The Suns only just started making it on new avalon in 3012

Omni likes this.
  25. Imperator Pax

I have no good AFS sources so sure. And if you want to do the AFVs I'm happy have a second list to check against

As to the Centurion, again thats one of the things, where canon tells us something but the actual numbers and locations of plants they tell us exist or did exist... then proceeds to get give us 2+2 = fish situations where things don't add up.

Like very likely because in the grand scheme of this fic, its very much the Fed Suns and then FedCom end up doing very very well overall and the right investments are made... and some of those investments will be touched on during the travel September 3017 chapters.

Hanzo talks about Errai, Septim talks about logistics and force deployment Bahar has her stuff, Bubbles deals with assault mech stuff, Beau deals among other things Sutton's Md. There will not in this interlude series / chapter mention of a new centurion factory but it will probably happen, maybe in the Outback somewhere but the AFFS is in a position where they can't jsut rely on we just got a big resupply of material and the other guy just lost a bunch of his and the FedCom hasn't happened yet. Steiner hasn't even sent out the peace proposal yet.

Omni and kashim27 like this.
  26. Bofors40mm

Bofors40mm Experienced.

Ok then I'll get ya a list of ASFs available prior to 2600 or so. And I'll possibly do the AFVs later

Omni likes this.
  27. Bofors40mm

Bofors40mm Experienced.

Thunderbird, Stuka, Lightning, Centurion, Eagle, Rapier, Sabre, Chippewa, Hammerhead, Sparrowhawk, Seydlitz(yes the SLDF used those), and lastly the Samurai are the canonical ASFs that all predate 2600 and where used by the SLDF and thus are likely candidates
    Might see some Ironsides, Rogues, Gothas, Hellcats, and Swifts but not many. Alas not likely to see any of the glorious Tomahawk in the cache or other birds like the Ahab, Zero or Trident

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  28. Awantax

Awantax Its called Hentai. And its art.

I suppose Hanse is going to be one that will not be able to stop himself for asking if he is really a Hegemony officer from before the Amaris's coup?

I've been waiting for a true discussion about this subject for a while.

Omni likes this.
  29. Imperator Pax

SO on Tuesday I have an Extras segment that is going up.

I'm mentioning it early, because it is not necessarily canon per se. As I've written this there have been changes, I've left somethings vague, just to give me wiggle room beyond unreliable narrator, and I've probably left some things too vague in some cases.

Originally one of the core parts of this story was going to be the Aurigan Campaign (HBS story campaign) dealing with the directorate, another part of that being dealing with Black Jack McGirk and Kristofur being alive, and in that later case that leds into Kerensky showing up because he's responsible for Joshua's death... and that in turn leads into the Dragoons finding out that HOLY FUCK there are Amaris's still alive (this is related to McGirk and friends).

And Frankly this was always going to be a story where the principle inner sphere allied house is House Davion, and then FedCom, but gradually over time the expression of those plans had changed and developed in other ways. So anyway Tuesday will have an a snippet going up its relatively short, its not necessarily canon but it does contend with material that will show up in the future. There are certain details and characters were thats going to happen.

And I like be able to explore and share 'alternates' for these sorts of things.

Least Devotee, Omni, kioras and 2 others like this.
  30. Bofors40mm

Bofors40mm Experienced.

you going to involve the dobrev at all? Because I'm pretty sure she's a carrack class ship and while those are wimpy warships they're still warships. plus the info on the clans and her cargo