1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Commercial Break (Worm / Slut Life) (Borderline SFW)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Jonakhensu, Apr 8, 2018.

?

Should I post 2.9 a week early or keep to the normal schedule? 2.10 will be on 11/13 regardless.

Poll closed Oct 23, 2018.
  1. Yes, post 2.9 on 10/23

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. No, wait until 10/30

14 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. RageKnight

RageKnight My heresy senses are tingling

That last one though

2. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

The only thing missing is her saying the Worst Thing Possible in a Work Fic:

"Meh...I can take her..."

Still, I have a feeling that this Denise is not going to be in for a good time...

Ack likes this.
  3. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

So one question.... did everyone forget 'Shitposter' is literally one of SL's Jobs?

I'd say it'd be more accurate to say that Denise would get punished if she didn't do a shitpost. That's what she's paid for after all.

That said, I'm glad my suggestion of adding a shitposter to that interlude garnered such.... positive reactions. :D

4. Nightmare723764

Nightmare723764 I HAVE BECOME THE HORNI HORSE!

... I had actually forgot about the Shitposter job...

5. Darkarma

Darkarma Loli Ōtsutsuki

I could have sworn I read about half this already a week or two ago. Am I going crazy?

6. Fragment off

Fragment off Getting sticky.

Maybe she was doing her job as a shitposter/troll.

7. Jonakhensu

Jonakhensu I trust you know where the happy button is?

My understanding is that PHO is heavily based off of a forum system that existed in the real world in the 1990s, though I forget what it's called. I'm using the Myrrdin PHO wizard because it does a decent job formatting things the way I want and is easy to work with. I definitely wouldn't want to be doing all this formatting by hand. With that comes its preferred symbols. Honestly, not using the arrow would just be a ton of extra work for a relatively minor visual change. As for @ the symbol is used to say 'at', so I can't see why they would use any other symbol for it.

Or, the Watsonian reason is that this is a simple message board (probably the original Slut Life message board) and the larger forums are elsewhere. This one gets used because it is the original, so it has brand name appeal.

The Doylist explanation is that I'm using pre-made tools and have no intention of trying to format this thing on my own. Just fixing it to work on FFN took around two hours, so I'm going to continue using what works, especially since it is directly based off of the idea of the PHO-interlude.

Now, the question is, how many of them did you get correct? Still, I had fun writing it, and you had fun reading it. At the end of the day, that's all that's really important.

That said, I have a spread sheet with every used handle and a description, so they'll hopefully be consistent if/when I make another interlude like this.

A number of the responses were mentioned last week when Ross and Cindy were looking over the forum, so you aren't going crazy. A lot has been added, however.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Ack, TheWave and 5ColouredWalker like this.
  8. SystemSearcher

SystemSearcher "I fought the door and the door won"

Or maybe Bob Ross is using an IRC client, or something of that sort. He just has everything setup exactly how he wants it and doesn't want to adapt to other layouts >>w>>

9. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

Okay, as far as I'm concerned this post saved the chapter from being completly annoying and implausible.

Not that I agree with him, and the chapter was well written, but there were too many people going too far overboard about how horrible the Trio were and no one with more toned down reactions. While the shit poster was a lot more extreme than I'd expect there should have been a bunch of "com on guys, yes what happened to the girl was bad, but there's plenty of worse stuff" or people questioning if it wasn't inflated by Taylor's subjective view point or some such.

The fact that I find Hellsing annoying in general probably didn't help.

10. Flutters Is Shy

Flutters Is Shy Friend of the Rage

Denise is a bitch.

Is it telling that once I reached the end of the newest entry, I actually reached out and tried pushing the next page number? For a singular split second, I forgot that it wasn't an actual forum post. I tried to to go to the next page of a FICTIONAL site. Gosh darn it, this story is too entertaining.

TheWave and Czlyydwr Llrngwl like this.
  11. edale

BBS boards. And they existed as far back as the 70's (first public one went up during the Chicago blizzard of 1978).
    Might want to put "@..." in [plain][/plain] tags.

12. Jonakhensu

You may be right about there not being enough moderating presences on the site so far... of course, we only see the first three pages of 76, so the less sympathetic people might not have bothered posting right away until they noticed 'hug box behavior' or something and decided to complain.

I honestly don't spend much time outside of creative writing boards on forums, and even then, I don't usually read all of the discussions, so I'm not entirely familiar with what is considered 'normal' behavior.

I'll take that as a compliment, thanks.

Whoops. Fixed it. I'm surprised ... is apparently a member, though.

13. Grosstoad

Grosstoad Whimsical Paranoid Creeper

I kind of agree with Unicorn.

What happened is bad, and most people's heartstrings gonna get tugged, but there probably would be trolls akin to Denise that is actually intentional in their posting, or unintentional in that they actually believed their posts, or not-trolls more akin to Abridged Alucard whose moral compass is elsewhere.

That lots of characters with questionable moral compass are compassionate enough to put down the Trio is stretching SoD.

One or three Deleted/Banned posts, with mod reminders not to actively promote psychological torture, or those types of "Cry some more." "Want some cheese with that whine." kind of dismissive posts probably adds to the diversity of the posts, instead of mostly a flood of supportive ones.

EDIT: Oh, and a defensive post from an alien lifeform whose standard living conditions have to be like the Locker would be funny, perhaps. But that's just me.

14. SystemSearcher

I just chalk it up to the simple reason of "there's a fuckload more people". As a result, there's a fuckload more nice people on the internet as well. As a result the whole "compassionate/asshole" dynamic is stretched wider across the pages due to the sheer amount of people, and we've only seen a few pages of the whole discussion.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  15. Jonakhensu

I was thinking about it more, and I've come to the conclusion that:
    A: You are wrong about the number on non-supportive posts shown
    and
    B: Assuming Denise was the only person not being sympathetic, you're still complaining about not having enough trolls and such across 44 posts out of at minimum 12

I went through and counted the posts I would consider supportive of Taylor, as opposed to being negative, indifferent, or not even on topic. I got ten. At the same time, you have Alucard calling it funny, Dethklok praising how awesome it, Betty complaining about her world being worse due to lack of super powers, and Denise. And that's just off the top of my head.

I suppose you may count anything not outright dismissing the issues as being supportive, but... your mileage may vary, I guess.

16. Grosstoad

Grosstoad Whimsical Paranoid Creeper

Hmm, I guess the less supportive ones are less vocal or memorable. 12 out of 44?

17. MissileTeatime

MissileTeatime By the power of Vaporware!

"That's fine for you, but you live there. You're supposed to be like that. She is definitely not. Imagine if we dumped you somewhere that would make you miserable -- and without asking first, not in a 'as part of something fun' way."

Well, find+replace is a thing. After the initial choosing a replacement character it would be pretty simple: copy two characters and hit a button, possibly several times. The hardest part would be remembering to do so.

18. Jonakhensu

I was going to add an edit, but stuff was posted since, so I'll do it here. This is what I get for coming up with the thoughts while trying to go to sleep and then trying to type those thoughts over several different time-crunches.

I also meant to add that SLO is only one of several Slut Life related forums and websites. A lot of people don't use it because it lacks a lot of features they like, such as the ability to embed media.

As such, it is not the most widely used site out there.

Watsonian reason for showing it: It's still the first one Ross tends to go to, out of habit and because it doesn't gather media clutter like the other sites do.

Doyalist reason: I know where to find a PHO wizard, and I don't want to worry about managing any more finicky formatting than I absolutely have to.

True, find and replace is a thing. It's also a thing I'd need to remember to do every time I export a document from the wizard, which I think I did about five or so times for this one. Eventually, I will slip, and at that point, I don't see why I should bother. Other than "Not looking like PHO," I can't think of a reason I shouldn't have an arrow there.

19. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

This. Very much this. Or maybe trying to understand why humans consider this a bad thing.

Nope, that's not at all what I'm complaining about. I'm complaining that almost all you showed us were annoying trolls and people overly supportive of Taylor, out of a 76 page thread. I did mention I find Alucurd annoying in general, right? Thus any post connected to it got counted as one of the annoying and implausible ones.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  20. Czlyydwr Llrngwl

Czlyydwr Llrngwl "Sell ya a door Learn gull" Czly/Celly for short.

Possibility for the alien who doesn't think it's that bad:

►Ouaui_Eaaiou (Verified Pronounceable)
    Replied On Jan 11th 6349:
    Luckyyy - if I want a feast like that I have to find a worldgut in reach of the surface and cut through the chiterrin and geomuscle layers. And garnished with all those swarmers too! Just wish I could meet her for a nice lunch without probably getting mindslaved...

TheWave, necrolectric and TheEyes like this.
  21. SystemSearcher

Hello from Falayalaralfali?

22. Czlyydwr Llrngwl

Czlyydwr Llrngwl "Sell ya a door Learn gull" Czly/Celly for short.

Googling that, it's apparently a waterworld, so no. It's more meant to be some kind of "living planet" in the sense of having some kind of macrofauna that dominates the entire surface as a single individual, with the poster being a member of a normal-sized species that are somewhere between parasites and symbiotes to it, depending on exactly how the whole system works out. Probably parasites given the mention of cutting open part of its guts to get a "feast" like the locker's contents.

23. Fencer

Fencer Weaponized Randomness

She’s going to be in close proximity to a number of people for a year.... her shard is going to be absolutely FEASTING on all that completely NEW magical girl combat data.... odds on her budding? Odds on the bud getting caught up in something bad enough for a second gen trigger event?

Wouldn’t that also effectively tether at least one person to at least the same world as Taylor decides to settle on regardless of which dimensional version they decide to stay on?

24. edale

Taylor can't Second Trigger for the simple reason that she already has.

It's canon that Tylor Triggered twice in The Locker.

And SL scientists will by studying the Shard, so will be monitoring any growing buds, and more than that... They can communicate directly with the Shard to find out what that sudden growth is.

Hell, they might decide arrange a setup with QA where it provides SL with any buds, and the buds are used by SL as a new type of empowerment ritual, similar to the Magical Girl one.

TheWave, Ack and 5ColouredWalker like this.
  25. Fencer

Fencer Weaponized Randomness

Who said anything about a second trigger? I’m talking about a bud latching onto one of her roomates and that person triggering.

Nothing says they can communicate with Taylor’s shard yet. The mad scientists are still on ‘holly crap! continent sized flesh computer!’

the Idea of Queen Administrator being used as the basis of a new magical girl system is WEIRD. It is also highly interesting to me.

MissileTeatime and GladiusLucix like this.
  26. SystemSearcher

If anything, it's probably much more benevolent or, at least, indifferent than some of the other stuff the magical girls are using.

27. edale

And there's that moment of shame when I realize I was mixing up the beta stuff with what's actually been posted...

You're right, there's nothing to show that they can communicate with the shard yet, no idea where I got that from.

*whistles innocently*

Fencer likes this.
  28. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Eh, we already knew that Hackerman's interface work with QA was coming up and that it would basically have to succeed or else the plot wouldn't be able to happen, so not much of a slip there.

29. Jonakhensu

I'll be honest, I have to keep checking myself when I reply to stuff here or even on Discord...

I want to keep some things back, but I occasionally forget who knows what and how far into the plotting things have been posted. I think I've caught myself every time I almost let something slip, but it's always a concern.

Well, it doesn't have to succeed. They could always just modify the contract as little as possible to get it to work on Earth.

A quick look at my sample schedule shows that everything Taylor is signed up for can be taken care of in a 25 hour day, so only minimal changes would be needed. Or none at all, assuming a 24 hour day instead of a 32 hour day means you only need 3 hours of sleep instead of the usual 4.

And I really must say, trying to conceptualize a 32 hour day without visual aides does not work for me. Luckily, spreadsheets exist.

30. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

No, it isn't. It's implied by canon, but never actually stated. We know that Numberman tells her that her trying for a second trigger to get the power she wants would be useless, but there are several possible reasons for that and "he knew she'd already had a second trigger" is only one of them.