1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Control through Compassion - MCU/Lantern Corps

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by JeckJack, May 26, 2020.

1. SystemSearcher

SystemSearcher "I fought the door and the door won"

Yeah, basically.
    Thank you for your correction. I´m operating from two years of studying Japanese academically, which failed because my memory just isn´t good enough to study it as a teritary language, so my knowledge is spotty. Although now I´m wondering about the etymology of the word... specifically, about why it was chosen and how it was formed, because while my knowledge of Japanese is spotty, my knowledge of Chinese is outright nonexistent.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  2. Orannis

Orannis I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's good that pink is starting to show.

3. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

To paraphrase a Twitter thread...

“So what are the largest hot deserts on your world, Terran?”

”Well, there’s the Sahara Desert, the Arabian Desert, the Gobi Desert, and the Kalahari Desert.”

”...Did you just repeat the word Desert eight times?”

4. DadofBoy

DadofBoy Getting some practice in, huh?

Wait...she found the alien hot, but not Cobey Smulders? Well...some people have weird tastes.

Jonn Wolfe and ClassyCobra like this.
  5. JeckJack

JeckJack Mask Seller

When dealing with SHIELD she was trying to be professional, and was more focused on trying to help, while with Carina, the most immediate problem was already dealt with, and she had a big glowing violet signal to draw her attention.

6. Tamarind

Tamarind Know what you're doing yet?

Oh wow.

Did she just have everyone's maps change Terra/Midgard to Earth? Everyone going into space is going to have aliens go 'hey, you're from dirt right? We used to call you guys Midgardians but were corrected by that nice glowing girl.'

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Great chapter.

ClassyCobra likes this.
  8. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

Not to nitpick, but only Sahara and Gobi can truly be said to be "desert", since Arabian has nothing to do with deserts (what with Sahara being based on the arabic word for deserts), and Kalahari only tangentially meaning desert ("an infamous dry place" is a very rough transliteration).

9. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the term Arab was originally derived for a Semitic word meaning desert, and which came to mean nomad by analogy.

Tammin, ClassyCobra and Jonn Wolfe like this.
  10. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

ClassyCobra likes this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey I just wanted to ask, but are you going to continue this story?

ClassyCobra, Caerwen and Someoddball like this.
  12. Pavalos

Pavalos Versed in the lewd.

Great story. Pretty well written. I don't agree with everything they are doing, but that's probably more my personality and why I wouldn't be the best fit for an Indigo Ring. Hope you continue it. Either way, thanks for the awesome story

ClassyCobra likes this.
  13. Mastersgt

Mastersgt Experienced.

Kinda bummed... I LIKE this story. But MC does not seem to be... using, her powers well.
    She could use indigo, blue, or orange light to make herself better. Have Wolverine/Deadpools immortality/healing. Be an Asgardian, with the strength and everything. She could go to Kamar-Taj and not be limited to JUST being dependant on that staff. She could make a White lanter ring... maybe.
    There is just SO MUCH that MC is not doing, that she could.
    It's just, one of my pet peeves is when you have stories like this. With HUUGE potential for self-improvement. That the MC just ignores...
    Zola's inability to change her is literally just the limitation of his own knowledge. Not an actual inability to do so.
    I mean, The Eternals were VERY capable of doing so. Heck most VERY advanced people were/are.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    ClassyCobra likes this.
  14. Zealous Specter

Zealous Specter Getting out there.

Because that would very quickly turn into a vain, shallow and inevitably abandoned powers fantasy fic all about min maxing stats instead of telling a story. Power for the sake of power is like a juvenile getting far too excited over the thought of having more and more new abilities with no actual reason for it just so they can be the super special snowflake that's over 9000. But in reality they just end up being a tool with a shallow depth of character. A piece of paper would have more character than that type of crap character.

Tammin, MechaNova, zarion and 4 others like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Are you planning on continuing this story anytime in the near future?

16. Flareonflare

Flareonflare Making the rounds.

• Don't necro. This is against Rule 7.
    Finally a ring bearer that isnt a massive piece of shit
    lantern stories are cool, but the main characters tend to be such enormous unlikable selfish wankers, like holy shit can i have the cool superhero story without the main character being a creep or jerk without an ounce of morality in them?

well this story broke that mold, and i liked it
    pity it seems to be dead, but know you are appreciated for writing this much of it

17. Zaibech

Zaibech Getting out there.

Earth means ground, not dirt. Earth (dirt) is named after earth (place everything sits on). Kinda like how orange (color) is named after orange (fruit).

It kinda grinds my gears every time I see that misconception in SF/fantasy.

Ajlove and Kaelan Isble like this.
  18. Myrtenaster

Myrtenaster Mood: (ᅲ﹏ᅲ )

Oh my god, stop with the fucking necro-posts.

Mods, please?

ParaDXThrowaway likes this.