1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dreaming of Stories (Omake welcome)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Ace Dreamer, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I'm like most authors, sometimes I get an idea for a story, but it doesn't go further than that. You might call it a 'dream' (some literally arise when I'm asleep at night). The second sort just wont go away, worry at me until I have to write them, assuming I can't kill them off by reading more than is good for me.

This thread is for the first, the story ideas that maybe don't have big, or sharp, enough teeth. It occurred to me that some might interest others. Could lead to an Omake. Maybe, lead to an entire story, that justifies it's own thread!

So, stories start as dreams, sometimes grow into anecdotes, maybe into entire novels (lets not mention trilogies). This is a place people are encouraged to see if that growth works for them.

Have at it!

---

I was advised to put this bit in. Apparently each thread has its own 'culture', and it can help to define some of that at the start.

So...

Constructive feedback, and things like spelling mistake corrections are appreciated. But, in no way do I expect these ideas to appeal, or even look halfways sane, to all readers. You cannot please everyone, and trying to do so is a route to insanity.

Ultimately, these ideas are a bit of fun, though I reserve the right to wander off into weird bits of science, philosophy, or, even mysticism. You have been warned! The world is a strange place, and I might be a bit strange, too. :)

AN: There'll be Author Notes, like this, at the bottom of many fragments/ideas. Maybe, even, at the start of some. You can ignore them, but, you do so at your own risk. Some are bits of humour, some are 'links' to things referenced above, some are about the 'logic' of the fragment/idea. You've been warned! :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  2. Threadmarks: (RL) Raven Worm 1, Author Omake 2
    Ace Dreamer

(RL) Raven Worm 1, Author Omake 2

Next >

AN: This is an 'Author Omake', from my story 'Raven Lunacy'. It's a 'drop in the middle' episode fragment which shows a scene from a larger story, Taylor Hebert of 'Worm' having gone off, become 'Raven's Apprentice' in a 'Teen Titans' (DC Comics) world, then returned to her home world.

AN: This was intended to be a 'one-off', but grew a second part.

"Yes, I am the Rogue, Arachno Mage, and this is my loyal sidekick, Arachnophilia! I wish to make it quite clear that I have nothing to do with the Hero, Flutterby, and her Butterfly Horde!"

Emma smiled, while gritting her teeth. Never mind that she was in drider-form, and therefore fell under Taylor's powers, which applied to anything vaguely buggy. The fact that she was dressed in nothing but a small, domino, mask, as anything else caused intolerable itching, meant Taylor had endless blackmail material.

Her only hope was that the heroic Flutterby would hear of her fate, and rescue her from the evil, though admittedly no longer weak, Taylor. But, she wished that she'd hurry up!

OK, the wings, the flying, were nice, as was the wall-climbing, the webs, the venom that Taylor could make do just about anything she liked. But, Brockton Bay was chilly, this time of year, and a model needed to look after her good looks!

AN: There you are, an Omake! Everything is is quite clear now, isn't it! :)

AN: Honest, this Emma got her powers by being bit by a radioactive drider. Honest!

AN: I suppose I should point to here, so you can see what this was based on...

Raven ripping an early Skitter (and Queen Administrator) out of the Worm-verse might be fun... Taylor really needs friends... Taylor with magic... Of course she'd use it responsibly. :)

(So, how easy would it be to make tiny harnesses for butterflies, that make them near-indestrucible and give them the strength of an immense giant? A few thousand, preferably? :) )

((Introduces the possibility of butterflying-away problems???))

Next >

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Prince Charon likes this.
  3. Threadmarks: (RL) Raven Worm 2, Author Omake 3
    Ace Dreamer

(RL) Raven Worm 2, Author Omake 3

< Previous

AN: This is an 'Author Omake', from my story 'Raven Lunacy'. The second episode fragment of what was supposed to be a one-off!

Madison was Nematode Girl. Some sort of tiny worm, you might think? Unimportant. Ignorable.

Nematodes are all over the place. And, her name was misleading, because she also 'got' mites. And, just about every healthy human has those.

She was also a sort of slave. Of the rogue, 'Arachno Mage'. And, she got to be chief slave, of all the other girls who'd followed her and Emma. But, at least she got to know she was a slave, they just got their minds used as useful tools, without them realising.

Emma, as Arachnophilia, was the visible face of Arachno Mage's power. The strong arm, and, one who healed, amazingly quickly, from anything that anyone had done to her, so far. The fights between her and Shadow Stalker, those'd been interesting to watch. And, the fights with various villain capes in Brockton Bay.

How did Madison watch? Even though she wasn't a normal cape, rather one created by Arachno Mage's power over anything bug-related, she knew she was amazingly powerful. She could somehow see, sense damage to, anything close, maybe within a half-metre, about 18-inches, of the smaller bugs, like nematode worms or mites, anywhere within Brockton Bay, and recall that, perfectly. You might say she did 'bugging'.

Either from a distance, or if she wanted to see things with human-grade eyesight, as an invisible, apparently immaterial, bug-mediated presence. Or, it might be one of her 'slaves' doing the looking. Then, she could play those memories, her's and her slave's, back, for Arachno Mage. Or, 'Taylor', as she knew she was. But, couldn't say.

She was pretty sure there were 'holes' in her coverage. Things she wasn't allowed to know. Of course, she somehow had filters, bugs getting eaten or otherwise killed in a normal way was ignored. Presumably, some things Arachno Mage wanted to keep private. And, after all, she also had to obey instructions to forget things.

There was also one, rather glaringly obvious to her, hole in her coverage. Flutterby. And her weaponised butterflies.

But, she didn't hold out much hope in that direction, despite Emma's delusions about a heroic rescue. Somehow, Taylor would have that covered. No one got to bully her, these days. There was a quiet confidence about her that made it seem an amazingly bad idea.

Now, Madison was an invisible watcher in the latest fight between Emma, as Arachnophilia, and Shadow Stalker, who she happened to know was Sophia. It was obvious that Arachno Mage was just playing with her, she could've settled the matter long ago. She imagined Taylor and Sophia, just standing there, glaring at each other.

No one could hear her, no one would know. Unless, Arachno Mage asked her the right direct question, later.

So, she mumbled to herself, an act of defiance, thinking of Taylor and Sophia.

"Now, Kiss."

AN: Another 'Worm' Omake? Why, you might say. Well, it seemed there might be a bit more story to tell...

AN: I'll reference, here, nematode, and mite, for reader convenience.

AN: No, I don't anticipate any more of these. And, as a cruel writer, I'll say that Taylor does have friends, but, Madison isn't allowed to know about them. Are they visitors from the TT-verse? We may never know. :)

< Previous

4. Threadmarks: Geo Sequel 1
    Ace Dreamer

Geo Sequel 1

I've been asked about whether there might be more stories including Geo, the (OC) viewpoint character from Raven Lunacy. My initial answer to that was 'No', as Geo has to go back to her original world, and I don't get to write stories in that. But, I may need to change that to 'Maybe'...

It occurred to me that Geo told Raven, very early on, in 'Raven Lunacy', that everyone is one of a set of seven alternate selves, 'alts', and this is one thing that set Raven looking for her own. With certain knock-on results (*cough*ponies*cough*). This implies that there's another six Geo's out there. They might even meet-up...

So, 'Alternate Geo', a story that might start with Geo, loyal side-kick of the bronze-skinned hero, 'Doctor Savage', with his plucky assistant, 'Pipsqueak', the Yorkshire Combat Penguin. Battling through the Underdark, to get home, back to 20th Century Earth. Leaping chasms... Wrestling driders...

Do you think there'd be any interest in that? :)

EDIT

Thought I should make it clear that 'Pipsqueak' is an OC, and 'Doctor Savage' has no connection, of course, to the totally different Doc Savage, 'Man of Bronze'. Honest. None at all. Not one little bit. :)

---

AN: Underdark, just so you know.

AN: Believe it or not, not everyone knows what a 'drider' is. Amazing! :)

Prince Charon and Malcanthet like this.
  5. Threadmarks: Geo Sequel 2
    Ace Dreamer

Geo Sequel 2

I've been asked about whether there might be more stories including Geo, the (OC) viewpoint character from Raven Lunacy. My initial answer to that was 'No', as Geo has to go back to her original world, and I don't get to write stories in that. But, I may need to change that to 'Maybe'...

Ignoring the Author Omake in Raven Lunacy, which may turn into its own thread, 'Raven's Replacement' (RR), there's loads of ways you could get extra Geo-time. RR has Geo 'bounce', one of her goes home, the other gets thrown across the dimensions. While the RR Geo is quite 'busy', either the 'bounce' made more than just one extra of her, or original Geo decides she wants a holiday.

(The) Lord of the Rings (LotR) is a place admired as a nicely-engineered (fantasy) setting by many. Maybe Geo visits it, initially as purely an observer? Watches the Ring Maker at work, studies his techniques? Shadows certain hobbits on their way to Mordor? At Mount Doom, grabs a falling Gollem, takes the One Ring, unforges it in the forge it was first made, returning the influences to the other rings, rather than depowering them.

Do you think that'd be a fun story? :)

The Lord of the Rings, just for reference...