1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have added another rule, please check the Rules post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Due to some issues with Freenode, the QQ IRC Channel is moving. See here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Enter the Dragon (Harry Potter/Shadowrun)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Dunkelzahn, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Purplepurple

Purplepurple Getting sticky.

In any story with at least a partial realism and characterization that makes sense her reaction is perfectly fine.

Mind control, enslaving, attempted life-long slavery with all what is associated is perfectly fine reason to be a mopey a bit. In fact, lack of reaction (of some sort, that is one of viable ones) would be really ridiculous.

I will happily admit that I was mopey after far lesser attacks/events and I am older than 12 years old.

And characters not being supernaturally competent in everything does not make them dense and idiots.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  2. Mashadarof402

Mashadarof402 Experienced.

Hermione is a person who is very assured of herself. She 'knows' how the world works, and that everything will work out in accordance to her ambitions as long as she works hard at it.

So when the world doesn't work out the way she thinks it does, especially in a traumatic manner, she can only do one of two things. Understand her world view is wrong and start rebuilding it from the fundamentals... or repress and want things to go back to the way things were where she wasn't wrong, and everything will work out like she's absolutely sure it should.

Hermione's attitude is of the second and, quite sadly, a very common affliction to a vast number of grown adults in the world, magical or not.

3. hwjumeau

hwjumeau Fascinated but cautious

Glad to see you back Dunkelzahn, was worried this fic was dead. Great chapter, cant wait for the next one.

4. Purplepurple

Purplepurple Getting sticky.

I just want to note that this approach is often more effective.

Realistic and rational view often leads to "guess I can give up anyway", especially in case of situation like here.

While "I will work harder, it will definitely give results" may be misguided and false but actually more likely to give results.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Dunkelzahn likes this.
  5. RIversand

RIversand Getting out there.

I wonder if they should have harry do his first alchemy training thing with making water into that stable 'sludge' yo bleed off excess from him in the process, for the next big bleed off. It was said to be a self limiting alchemical reaction, and is creating a seemingly stable material.

6. Dunkelzahn

Dunkelzahn No one of consequence

Corrections taken without offence. Edits made.
    As it turned out, it was a pretty simple change. Edits made.

Thanks for the advice, I've tried to rework that segment, and sorry about the delay in responding, busy week at work. That link is very helpful, puts a lot of things together in one place and gives some place names I had been lacking.

For reference, yes Hogwarts is up at Kinlochmorar as seen on the map in the article (embedded below for reference). Hogsmeade is a long, narrow affair extending from the Coille a Chuirn Mhoir along the lakeshore, past Oban and back into the valley to the east-southeast. The Hogs Haulage yards are on the far west side of town, with the station on the west edge of that northwest-pointing rounded headland, and the docks are just east of it (providing that initial view across the lake. The Black Woods (Forbidden Forest) start at the west edge of town and extend from there back into a fairly large area. The Lair is about three and a half miles to the southwest of that edge, overlooking a valley that houses what in real life is a hamlet (terminology?) called Meoble according to Google Maps. The Black Woods fill that entire area, and the valley holding the Loch to the south of the Lair. Haven't really worked out their full extent at this point.

[​IMG]
    I also made a rough diagram on a screenshot from Google Earth:
    • Orange - Hogwarts
    • Red - Hogsmeade
    • Green - Black Woods
    • Purple - Hogsmeade rail line
    • light blue - The Lair and the site of the new machine shop (access tunnel, dotted line)
    [​IMG]

As for the deforestation issue you mentioned in your corresponding post on the CaerAzkaban group, the return of the trees is actually something of a minor plot point here. The Black Woods have been quite healthy, having been hidden from the charcoal ovens by magic and then defended from marauding deer by centaur hunting parties. With that healthy population serving as a seed, the marauding plague of spiders has been extended the tree line for the past five decades by eating anything that even remotely resembled a deer or sheep that they could sink their fangs into, and despite having curtailed the spider threat, Harry has recently extended that range even further with his own hunting. With that and with rapidly increasing environmental magic boosting growth rates of most everything, including trees, pretty much the entire southern shore of Loch Morar is now at least lightly wooded, and the forests are on the (rather slow) march across Scotland once more.

Edit: Had listed the wrong direction for the Lair's location. It is southwest of Hogsmeade, not southeast,

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  7. krzys2000

krzys2000 Getting sticky.

Lol. Because of this part I imagined Ents (or trents) marching across Scotland with army of tress to reclaim their ancient lands.

8. Doghead13

Doghead13 Grumpy Old Scottish Biker

For some reason the term 'hamlet' isn't used in Scotland, I don't know why - we include places on that size range in the term village.

You'll sometimes see places such as where I grew up referred to as 'crofting townships', though I've never heard that term used by a local and in fact first ran into it online years after I'd moved east.

There doesn't appear to be much info relating to Meoble online - beyond that there's a shooting lodge there that was used as a training base by the SOE during the second world war - nor is there a road in. As far as I can work out it's still used as a shooting lodge with access primarily by helicopter these days, however while Googling around I ran into this piece of local folklore;

https://mikedashhistory.com/2010/07/24/the-grey-dog-of-meoble/

9. Ehbon

Ehbon Know what you're doing yet?

Phew, I just caught up with all 500k+ words of this story and I can’t drum up anything of appropriate significance to describe this feeling. Instead I will just mention that it has been quite the journey and offer up the observation that the author must really like trains.

I really hope both Hermione and her parents get the proper wake up call from all this hoopla going forward. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, warned them about this exact scenario playing out multiple times. Being unprotected and unspoken for in the wizarding world as it currently stands is beyond reckless, or rather the dismissal of the threat posed by remaining like this is reckless. It’s the very first thing Snape warned Hermione and her parents about, if she doesn’t have a Dumbledore/Harry level patron then she will live in perpetual danger. Even with those protections she needs more methods of both escape and defense because people that powerful have enemies too. I hope the whole “doubting Harry” stuff clears up quickly enough too, he essentially got down on his knees (along with Abigail) and begged her not to do this and even arranged for Gringotts to take care of her and gave her a torc and everything. Hermione and her parents distancing themselves from Harry will just make them less safe, as Snape explained. Harry may not be omnipotent, but his threat of force in regards to messing with the interests of House Potter will be a whole lot scarier when he gets back and unleashes an entire 64-pack of whoop ass on everyone even tangentially related to this. He’s even working on a proper torc for her, which is just so adorable. A massive 60+ foot long dragon making a tiny piece of jewelry for her just because she means that much to him, when it would be a piece of cake to just buy or commission a silver pendant or whatever anywhere is the cutest imagery.

The same also goes for Harry as far as wake up calls go, honestly. He’s seemed somewhat lackadaisical about warding and protecting his lair/interests and the homes and such of his close companions because he has never really understood just how much danger they are all in. He’s just gone on expanding and expanding without protecting anything. He’s very much trapped in the mindset of being an overpowered dragon who could easily escape any such attempt on his person, and seems to figure that he can just go knock some sense into whoever messes with his friends. That’s not true, his tracking abilities are abysmal and he can’t be everywhere all the time, he can’t protect all of his interests with his ginormous dragon bod at the same time unless he drags them everywhere with him (and revenge can’t bring back the dead). He has no sense of caution, whatsoever, and now it’s finally going to sting him. It’s about time he takes Snape seriously and looks into a way to, at the very least, protect his people from the dark sides of magical society.

Anyways, ramblings complete, can’t wait for the next chapter.

10. TheLostArchivist

TheLostArchivist Identifies as a Greater Dragon.

Yes, this is true... kinda... but it's not that she leaked incriminating information about the government but that she just torpedoed their big corruption and slavery mop-up. Which is something I suspect they would have a bit of an issue with. That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if the corrupt elements managed to make it legal to leak information that was being used against them, simply because the whole place is a festering crap-heap.
    Yes, this was what I was referring to. Although I quite like your alternate suggestion for how to handle it.
    Fair enough. I hadn't really considered that side of things. I need to remember that characters are supposed to be human at times (even though they're figments of imagination ... you know what I mean).

11. Edmond G. Bertrand

Edmond G. Bertrand Getting sticky.

M.G.F. and krzys2000 like this.
  12. killgore444

killgore444 Not too sore, are you?

The initial blast would be a little to similar to a nuclear blast (all major explosions have a funnel cloud shape), what with the whole glowing cloud thing. So no one is really going to give two f***s about boarders here.
    Besides, at the time this story takes place, the joint US/Canadian Air Defense network is still very much in place (yes, the US has military stationed within Canada, and routinely does flyovers with their permission (at least they did)), so who responds first is more a matter of who is closer with what aircraft. This is close enough to Seattle for a Carrier (with it's wide ranging CAP) to be well within range.
    That's not even dealing with the constant overflights of both US and Canadian Air Forces using both combat craft, and AWACs.
    It's remote enough that it's doubtful they'll have anyone on sight in less then 10-15 minutes, but close enough that 30 minutes is being rather generous.

Not that it matters to much. Within 3 minutes of the blast being spotted in Vancouver (and being aired live on TV within 1 minute), virtually every single country with a satellite network will be in the process of retasking some of them to look at the area. Like I said, close to Seattle/Vancouver, a MAJOR military outpost for both nations, so I'd be very surprised if it didn't have something in geosynchronous orbit. Most likely something from multiple countries.

Long before any of those aircraft would arrive on site though, the Russian President would have already contacted the US President (I don't know if there's a direct line from Moscow to Ottawa). Likely the Chinese and Japanese as well. European countries might wait for a bit assuming there isn't something going on on the eastern seaboard of N. America at the same time.

Now, assuming the magical blast doesn't leave any detectable residue, and Shadowrun makes a BIG deal over the funky relationship between magic and radiation, then they'll likely conclude it was a volcano, but there's even less evidence of volcanic eruption than a nuclear blast.

Not that it matters of course. Assuming that the author is following HP canon enough that the leaders and those who NEED to know are informed, than all evidence will be buried, an excuse will be made, and the leaders will scream bloody murder at their wizard counterparts.:rolleyes:

The Knight bus would most likely been a LOT more expensive. And it does make rather blatant use of portkey style magic in canon. I do think they would have been much better off going with something small and fast though. You can, legally driving I might add, cross the entire US in 3 days driving in shifts. Seven if you only have 1 driver who needs to occasionally stop and isn't pushing it. They would have been better off making arrangements for extra food from the tribal government then trying to bring it all in extra dimensional containers.
    Live and learn I suppose. It's not like any of them have any experience as a truck driver. Even with Harry being interested in the transport business, he wouldn't likely have studied driving in the US/Canada.
    Maybe have one of the locals suggest it for the return trip.;)
    Either that, or board a plane in Seattle to Japan, and then across Asia and Europe. Nah, stick to driving back. Besides, I think it was mentioned that magical Asia is even worse of a shithole then magical Europe is.

This is actually a good point. And it's not something you see a lot of attention paid to in fan fiction. To be fair, several minor magic items are repaired in canon, but wands are specifically not able to be repaired that way. Maybe the complexity means that you'd need someone who knew how to make them to repair them, and they'd charge you for a new wand anyway. The other magic items could just be a case that they can only be repaired so many times before their enchantments break down. Doubly so if the people repairing them don't know how to enchant them.

I thought that was reversed. Earthdawn is the world the result from all the calamities of Shadowrun.:confused:

She's a Dung Beetle, not a cockroach. Roaches are way above her position in life.

~

13. Furoan

Furoan Making the rounds.

No, Earthdawn is the 4th world, Shadowrun is the 6th World. That being said, because of licencing, Shadowrun results from Earthdawn, but at the moment Earthdawn is kind of nebulous in leading to Shadowrun because of the game licences and the fact that Shadowrun is currently a Catalyst run gameline rather than FASA. Still, for terms of law, yes, Earthdawn came first. Then the 'fifth' world which is basically up to 2011, and then Shadowrun moved into the 6th world.

Corvus 501 and Dunkelzahn like this.
  14. Edmond G. Bertrand

Edmond G. Bertrand Getting sticky.

Wed., August 11, 2021

I hate chemo. Just to be clear. It sucks.

Anyway - a perverse idea popped into my head this AM. What is Harry *ate* the NightBus accidentally? I can think of a dozen ways that might be really funny.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Regards,
    Edmond

15. stads

stads I trust you know where the happy button is?

could see it be funny think snape would think off it eating away the competition :D
    hope ya recover from chemo stay strong

Ajlove likes this.
  16. Bleakwinter

Bleakwinter Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Magic schoolbus time?

Cheetored20 and Ajlove like this.
  17. zup

zup Experienced.

If it cannot be pinned on him, and maybe even if it can because he is rich, that is just how wizarding business is done. Powerful transportation tycoon eliminating the competition would not raise eyebrows.

Cheetored20 and Ajlove like this.
  18. Redstone

Redstone Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

when he confronts the Malfoy family in their home about his damsel Hermione, and the reaction when he finds the soul jar in the Malfoy home, he will go crazy and his aura will explode outward say god bay to Malfoy manor wards :D!

Cheetored20, Ajlove and caspian1a like this.
  19. joeyjumper94

joeyjumper94 Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

what if Harry was hit by a knight bus? what kind of damage would the bus take?

Edmond G. Bertrand and Ajlove like this.
  20. Wolfboy

Wolfboy I trust you know where the happy button is?

if he is just wearing an illusion, the the damage would be consistent with the bus hitting a block wall at the appropriate speed. If he is polymorphed into his form, damage consistent with hitting a pole of the appropriate diameter at the appropriate speed

Ajlove likes this.
  21. Hunting time

Hunting time Getting out there.

from what i remember transfiguration is what Harry uses to appear human but is more like a Glamor spell from other setting in that it tricks reality into thinking/showing what you want rather than what is there. So the bus hitting harry would be like hitting a wall.

Ajlove likes this.
  22. Childe Roland

Childe Roland Making the rounds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...but more so?

Ajlove, GunSmoke, Finerc and 2 others like this.
  23. Hunting time

Hunting time Getting out there.

more like a bus wrapped around superman if he knows its coming or a big dent and rolling harry if caught by surprise [ like with the troll]

24. joeyjumper94

joeyjumper94 Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

• Do not necro. This is against Rule 7.
    i wonder what everyone's reaction will be when harry emerges unscathed from that.

SoCar37 and Ajlove like this.