1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Faraday [Worm AU]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by JMHthe3rd, May 27, 2015.

1. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

Temperamental? Chaotic? Loose? Really most antonyms of viscous don't really work as it's specifically referring to material properties so most related words are as well, it's just one of the ones that works better otherwise.

2. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

I'm pretty sure powers are at least tangentially related to how you Triggered in the first place. How do Emma's powers relate to her trigger at all? I can't see it.

Am I the only one who noticed that Emma is planning outright murder?

It pains me to hope Sophia gets off lightly, but she deserves far less punishment than Emma.

JMHthe3rd and Ack like this.
  3. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

Considering it as an option, not necessarily planning it. And it's not wholly unreasonable that she's considering it as an option, given she thinks Sophia might be going after both her and Taylor, and she knows Sophia's killed people in the past.

Mind, it's still not a sign of a reasonable and healthy psyche. But it's not particularly wrong.

Prince Charon and GiftofLove like this.
  4. JMHthe3rd

JMHthe3rd Not too sore, are you?

Despite the blaster/striker/brute applications, Emma is a (short range) shaker, with a breaker aspect (she's largely immune to electricity) as well as a very specific trump power (against Sophia's and Taylor's power-set).

Her shard's ''theme' is connected to Sophia and Taylor's 'anomalous smoky' thing. Going by Wildbow's explanation, a shaker power results from 'Environmental danger, ambient danger, often nonhuman or only abstractly human,' which fits with the unseen and unknown nature of Taylor's master attack, of which Emma was only semi-consciously aware (e.g. 'The bathroom seemed to darken somehow, as if my grief had saturated the air.').

A breaker triggers from, 'Abstract physical danger or harm, difficult to define pain or stress (not mental or physical.) Frequently arises from the hardest triggers to label.' A vague explanation, but I think it can reasonably result from Taylor's mind raping.

The trump power is due to Taylor being balls-deep into Emma's brain. The specifics of Emma's power are almost an exact counter to Taylor's or Sophia's. If Emma's purple is up, neither Taylor nor Sophia can touch her.

It hasn't come up yet, but Emma also has a resistance (not an immunity) to master attacks; basically, her shard 'corrects' in her brain what the master power's doing. Once again, this is due to her triggering in the midst of Taylor's meddling.

It's worth noting that right before she triggered, Emma recognized how horrible she's been but lamented that not only could she not fix what she's done, but she was too much of a coward to do anything about it. Her post-trigger brain restructuring essentially turned her into the person she desperately wanted to be.

Hence:

That was the shard's first influence.

Bare in mind, Emma's turned into the person she's wanted to be--but not necessarily a good person. Better, though.

OT: I've posted my first quest: Uncle Grubb's Mysterious Mansion. It's gotten a few replies on SB and SV, but none so far here. I'll write the next chapter in a couple of days or so.

Right now, I'm working on Chapter Nine of 'Tales of a Power Armor Apocalypse.'

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    Prince Charon and Ack like this.