• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

Sharks are older than:

Saturn's rings

The Pleiades cluster

One galactic orbit of the sun

Polaris

At first I thought you were joking but literally all of that is true and I'm having to have a big think right now about how Saturn's rings weren't always there because I mean obviously but trying to mentally picture that is like pulling my teeth I can't envision it.

At first I thought you were joking but literally all of that is true and I'm having to have a big think right now about how Saturn's rings weren't always there because I mean obviously but trying to mentally picture that is like pulling my teeth I can't envision it.
Yeah, it's no joke. Sharks are ooooooooold.

I... might be misremembering and it was tree-eating fungi rather than bacteria. It's been a while and I don't exactly have eidetic memory.

Either way, such organisms didn't yet exist.

Though both fungi and bacteria evolved long before trees.

Random aside: my spellchecker thinks I should change 'eidetic' to either 'deistic' or 'idiotic'... damn this thing's dumb...
I had heard about the high levels of oxygen, but didn't know it was due to things not being able to eat wood well enough?

I am in this weird state where I'm too tired to do anything, but too awake to just lie down and just get some sleep, so I'm just sitting there, stewing.

Anyone got any ideas how to deal with that?

I had heard about the high levels of oxygen, but didn't know it was due to things not being able to eat wood well enough?
I've heard of it, but never really thought about what it meant. Oxygen is a waste product of plant metabolism, so it makes sense that it took some time for something to evolve to use it after it became common. Nor is it unrealistic that there was an overabundance of it that threatened the ecology. Plant and animal defenses/attacks are a constantly evolving mix of mistakes and successes, and there has already been reports of things adapting to and using industrial waste as a food source.

I am in this weird state where I'm too tired to do anything, but too awake to just lie down and just get some sleep, so I'm just sitting there, stewing.

Write a story. If you're that tired, it'll be really bad, but should give the rest of us a laugh at your expense.

If you like still and close your eyes, it does provide rest. It's not 100% as good as sleep, but it's helping you become less tired.

So lie down as if you were sleeping and don't worry about being able to fall asleep, because what you're doing is still helping.

Maybe try music or something to generate white noise while you follow evildice's suggestion to give your brain something to focus on too. If you can slip into an almost meditative mindset while resting you might get at least a couple hours of actual sleep without noticing.

The only other suggestion would be to force yourself to do some kind of physical exercise until you let brain and body kind of give up on staying awake and you sleep through sheer force of tired but if you're already exhausted they could just lead to hurting yourself.

Alternatively maybe some melatonin could help if you have it, unless you're one of the poor souls for whom melatonin gummies just make anxious or something.

furiously masturbate, it'll either wake you up or tire you out enough to pass out.

Hey!

So I want to start a quest. I have a decent idea for it, I think, but how am I supposed to do the votes thing?

Okay, so this story... takes a bit of setup.

As I've said a few times, I live next door to a swamp. By which I mean 'my back yard would be part of the swamp if I didn't keep driving back the weeds'.

Now, part of that driving back is that once the water table finally drops below soil height, I have to go out there with a scythe, carve my way through that crap, and rake it all up so the sun can actually dry up the ground, and only then can I mow that fucker. This is an all day and then some job. It's a big yard.

And half the time it's going to rain enough times in a row that I'll be doing it again at some point during the summer.

Before you ask: no, I can't just dump a few trucks worth of dirt to raise up the ground. There are laws. I checked.

That and last I priced, it'd take something like fifty grand worth of sand. Let alone anything decent. But I digress.

This year, I was looking at the electric Stihl mower I bought last year. And decided 'fuck it, what do I have to lose?'

This mower that I only bought because 1- I needed something and everything else around here was either garbage or way too expensive. 2- It was a Stihl. Stihl does not put its name on bad products. And 3- Stihl's pretty good about returns, so if it wasn't up to snuff I'd get one mow out of it and a refund.

Well, in spite of feeling really weird to operate, it turned out to be really good. About half the weight of gas push mowers, so quiet the neighbors don't even hear me mowing, barely feel any vibration. Like I'm pushing a vacuum cleaner. It feels like something so lightweight and quiet would be garbage, but the performance is great.

Just... if you have any more than half an acre, you're gonna want an extra battery. They recharge fast enough that you only need the two- one will mostly refill before the other runs out. But they only last about once an hour or so at a time.

And so I'm thinking about it this year- this thing is way lighter than any other mower... so I take it out into the swamp I call a yard and see if it can clear the tall grass. Which, well, it kept getting clogged... so I use a stick to redneck open the bag vent, slap some safety glasses on, and push down on handle the entire time so that the front tires are off the ground as I go.

My arms burn, and I look like I was bukakked by Dorothy's idiot friend, but it did what no other mower I or my neighbors (their yards aren't much better than mine) have ever owned managed to do.

Push. Rider. Toro. Craftsman. A bunch of generic pieces of shit that were never gonna compete with Toro or Craftsman, and oldschool push reels. All of them either hit the point where they couldn't cut any deeper into the weeds, or they sank into the mud and had to be pulled out with a winch hooked to a tree.

And this this damned electric fucking push mower does what none of them could do.

Not gonna lie, kinda pisses me off.

PS- Not sponsored. By anyone. Let alone Stihl. Would totally accept a sponsorship from Stihl.

Last edited:
Hey!

So I want to start a quest. I have a decent idea for it, I think, but how am I supposed to do the votes thing?
write a post, toss our ~3 possible options and/or a write-in option, then wait for voters to choose according to their whims.

If you mean counting though, there's a program someone made for that.

write a post, toss our ~3 possible options and/or a write-in option, then wait for voters to choose according to their whims.

If you mean counting though, there's a program someone made for that.

hmm, I see. I meant counting votes, so I'll have to check on the program.

hmm, I see. I meant counting votes, so I'll have to check on the program.

You're looking for NetTally.

A few notes:

[X] Vote
is the proper format for a basic vote- everything on the same line as the [X] will be included as the vote, while everything on the next line, like here, won't be. It's usually better to put the actual vote as a few words and the details on a separate line- but be aware that some of your players will copy/paste the whole thing as their vote anyway.

[X][CATEGORY] Vote
-This will split your votes into separate categories, just replace CATEGORY (doesn't have to be all caps but I prefer it that way) with the relevant name for the category, such as [GENDER] or [HAIRCOLOR] if you're doing character creation. NetTally will take each category and split them up so you can easily read the count of separate votes at once.

Not gonna lie, kinda pisses me off.
Hey, at least someone's advancing the science of lawn-mowing, instead of everyone putting out the cheapest crap they can get away with at the highest prices they can manage.

Out of curiosity though, what model is it? If you can find it on the website, toss us a link- we're still working out mowing our lawn. Used to have dad handling it, but he's still probably got a good several months before he can stand again.

Hey, at least someone's advancing the science of lawn-mowing, instead of everyone putting out the cheapest crap they can get away with at the highest prices they can manage.
I agree. Mostly I'm mad at everyone else who could be making things like this. But don't.

Out of curiosity though, what model is it?
RMA 510.

And apparently they're offering an extra battery free. You lucky bastard.

Last edited:
...Kind of a dark shower thought, the monsters from Monster's Inc. coming in on an abuse case. Popping out of the closet and finding something real fucked up going on.

Easy to handwave away in the 'cannon' as it'd probably have a whole lot of knock-on effects of it could happen.

Yo just filled out a cyoa my choices are below

8mhz,0ofk,sod4,jwlb,sp1y,i7bw,icne,myd7,zsp0,n84s,b57k,uxoe,0s6z,sxhj,ffrg,fy08,9mam,4ech,42jg,w0ll,mnpg,2b7c,eo3o,akq3,pr2q,whrm,r1r7,kvpo,xsyg,vntt,q0f4,cd6f,b2q6,gg25,0w4c,gjf9,jw7m,e7iw,1tj1,zam7,fw91,plxm,tnjk,1f9q,br2j,gbd9,b5vq,sdky,z5r3,o618,e2an,mv7e,kpwp,q6x8,h1lv

It was interesting...
Edit:to be clear this one .https://interactivewormcyoav6.neocities.org/WormCYOAV6.1/Worm.html.
Delete dot before and after

Last edited:
I am having trouble with pictures showing up in a post. Do I copy the picture itself or do I copy the webpage URL? I am posting from my phone, so any help would be appreciated.

I am having trouble with pictures showing up in a post. Do I copy the picture itself or do I copy the webpage URL? I am posting from my phone, so any help would be appreciated.

Imgur used to be a great hosting site, but the QQ server move broke Imgur access somehow.

You copy the URL from a site which is not imgur.

Open the image in a new page, then use that URL. If on PC you could just right-click and use "copy image address" but in my experience that isn't usually an option on mobile.

i'm having trouble to find my watched threads since the update anyone knows how to do it can tell where i find them.

So Monday I'm getting cardioversion to (hopefully) fix my arrythmia.

As part of this I had some basic bloodwork done and my doctor told me something hilarious; I need more salt in my diet.

Apparently I went too hard on cutting out sodium to reduce my blood pressure and I'm developing a salt deficiency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back