1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

How I Saved History (Fate/Grand Order SI)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Charles Flynn, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Charles Flynn

Charles Flynn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Flynn wouldn't know. He barely pays attention to Mash, much less what he thinks of as Mash's dog.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So Mash lost one of her closest friends...

... God dammit, just... fuck....

Flynn the character may not know, but Flynn the author probably does.

Will he at least show up again?

3. Charles Flynn

Probably.

After all, Flynn managed to accidentally destroy his faith in humanity. He'll definitely show up again.

You can count on that.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Flynn destroyed his faith in humanity...

Somehow I'm not all that surprised.

Cath is going to attack Flynn if he shows up again, isn't he?

Hopefully he still has some faith left in Mash at least, and Fou will come back instead of staying in Cath form aka Primate Murder.

5. Delta Green

Delta Green Know what you're doing yet?

Merlin is going to see him and go "Good job, Flynn. I sent Cath Palug to where he'd stop being a threat to Humanity... AND THEN YOU FUCKED IT UP."

And crow to Galahad "Artoria always blamed me for shit. But now? Now it really isn't my fault."

One, Solomon was not punished for his Sheba shenanigans.

Two, I'd find it funnier if a certain carpenter from Nazareth appears in answers to prayer.

Since, you know, Rin Tohsaka can be summoned to serve as Ishtar's vessel.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I really want to see this now.

Yeah, but people can make exceptions for some people, and while he may have let Solomon off the hook others weren't so lucky, like full on genocided unlucky.

This may be possible given the fact that summoning Servants can also summon one's from different points in time, like how they summoned Merlin despite him being born way after ancient Babylon.

Silver W. King and Charles Flynn like this.
  7. EVA-Saiyajin

EVA-Saiyajin Connoisseur.

To be fair, Cath Palug obviously had extremely high standards. Charles isn’t that bad a guy when it comes down to it compared to the sorts of bastards the typical magi would produce.

I'm tentatively hopeful for another clash of “doing what I can with what I’ve got for an impossible task” vs “you should have been impossibly, unwaveringly good” ala Ozymandias, although probably not quite as reasonable.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

True, but being morally better than your average magus isn't exactly all that difficult to accomplish.

9. EVA-Saiyajin

Yeah, but when it comes down to it I haven’t seen him as being really that bad. Got huge, gaping flaws, but reasonable and wanting to be good, even trying to, and being committed to saving the lives of all humanity.

Way to go making me dislike Fou for once Charles Flynn

10. Charles Flynn

And, in truth, the entire reason that it was Flynn that destroyed Cath Palug's faith wasn't that he was all that bad a guy.

It was that he was a perfectly normal, average guy. Which was why he, entirely by accident, managed to convince the Fourth Beast of Gaia that all of human existence consisted of inevitable suffering, and the only way to help them would be to put them out of their misery.

Flynn is, ultimately, a perfectly average human being, a representative of humanity as a whole. He can and has pulled off incredibly feats...

But he also constantly ends up shooting himself in the foot, and rolls 1s just as often as he rolls 20s.

11. EVA-Saiyajin

No wonder there’s a legend about Ccarb Palug coming into conflict with King Arthur's Knights, Kay specifically.

She strove for the ideal whereas Cath Palug was focused on the general.

Silver W. King and Charles Flynn like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Fou didn't do anything wrong here aside from having some high standards.

Charlie was also the guy that poisoned several of Chaldeas workers in a game, so there's that.

And he has admitted to being a bit sadistic, and somewhat enjoying killing people.

Jedarol and Silver W. King like this.
  13. Me. Joka-r

Me. Joka-r Professional Procrastinator

80% of servants are like that and worse, no one gives them shit about that.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

True, but the author did say that the reason it was Flynn that destroyed Fou's faith in humanity was because he was an average and normal guy, and playing games where you poison those around you, enjoy killing people a bit, and viewing most interactions like a manipulator would aren't exactly the traits of an average and normal guy.

LazyGlutton and Silver W. King like this.
  15. Charles Flynn

There's really no such thing as a truly average human being, in the end.

Flynn is nothing special, really. Just a flawed and self-destructive person whose vices are equal to his virtues, forced to deal with something way above his paygrade.

As he's admitted himself, he's not entirely sane anymore, no matter how good an act he puts up. Because no one could go through the Grand Order without ending up a bit fucked in the head.

16. HelloThereItsMeGeralt

HelloThereItsMeGeralt Know what you're doing yet?

If anything, Flynn's workplace practices are very tame. Depending on infinitely powerful "servants" on whom you depend for almost everything who will never respect you: I bet mc realized it on the very first day. Then there are people who are pissed at him for doing his job well, I mean did he ever face a demon god pillar? He killed the villains beforehand. Fearing defeat and failure is something only complete humans can sympathize with, not Heroic Spirits.

As for Magi and Engineers, in the game, they lived only because Ritsuka/Gudao were not normal human/magi at all. I mean try working in a group of 10 people in a simple office project. There will be a good amount of disagreements. The disagreements, the fights, and strong negative feelings will pile up the longer the project runs. Very good leaders can mitigate this, but consider the higher cadre of mages and engineers they will have infinitely larger problems. Chaldea would not have survived during the grand order if Olga was there, it is Roman that carried them. I say Roman, because I do not remember Ritsuka/Gudao interacting with the staff much.

A normal man will go mad in the prologue itself, then the subsequent singularities are more and more brutal. Camelot/Jerusalem is like Noah from old testament, but this Noah fires nukes and you are a sinner, not an animal/Noah's family. And Babylonia is almost the setting of Berserk [Manga/Anime].

I do not know what will happen in lostbelts, but I know the story will remain good.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Servants are very much capable of fearing defeat and failure.

They're not beings incapable of sympathizing with ordinary humans, they're complex characters that have complex human emotions.

18. HelloThereItsMeGeralt

HelloThereItsMeGeralt Know what you're doing yet?

As of now there is no servant who has faced a circumstance as dire as Flynn. Unless there is parallel grand orders going on and the servants share the experiences. Frankly speaking we will not know what they feel. Author limitations aside, as there are too many servants to make interludes to, even in game we did not get much inner depths of servant thinking. We got their responses, but not their thoughts, not in very details at least.

In this story it is entirely possible that there are servants who have positive feelings towards flynn, but have not got a chance to speak of it. Maybe there are some who want him to be better, whether they have something to help towards it or not. As for coworkers, most are not likely to help him.

Charles Flynn we will go for lostbelts, psuedo singularities yes? And did I miss the various events? I read about the Fuyuki event , any more planned?

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Many of these Servants lived lives in which they had to protect potentially millions of people from death and protect their nations from destruction.

Some of them weren't some kind of super powerful beings during their lives, but were still human, so they can sympathise with Flynn in protecting the world, the whole becoming Servants thing have them their current powers.

Some Servants already feel positive feelings towards Flynn, like Cu, Cursed Arm and Georgios, who cares about Flynn even if he doesn't always agree with him.

20. EVA-Saiyajin

Yes, he mentioned Cosmos in the Lostbelt and Nero only showing up then at the earliest.

Charles Flynn likes this.
  21. Charles Flynn

True. I think I'll leave Cosmos in the Lostbelt for a sequel series, once canon has finished with the arc.

LazyGlutton and Darko like this.
  22. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

No Servant ever actually went through a situation where the whole of human history was incinerated, however. Even for the incredibly superhuman standards of heroic spirits, that IS beyond the scale.

And no Servant who was a leader in life ever had to lead a group like Chaldea's contingent. The task is simply too unrealistically hard. In the practice, it should be unfeasible and Guda only gets to do it because the plot plays for him and has every Servant magically attracted to and respecting of his generic blandness.

I realized this when I tried to write Grand Order myself. It can't be done without ringing hollow and false. Usually, even connecting in a believable way with a single warrior from the distant past is a major task on itself, as prior Fate stories will tell you. Handling more than 200 at once while being a token Japanese Protagonist Cipher only can work if the story is outright making it so that works.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Servants in the Fate franchise have sometimes led lives in which they saved the world, at least according to some of their myths and stories, so they may have some understanding of what's happening and how Charlie feels.

They also sometimes belonged to groups that were very diverse in their behaviour and even led them, so they also have some understanding of that as well.

LazyGlutton and Silver W. King like this.
  24. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

Again, not the same thing.

The whole world never died during their watch. Even the most dire circumstances they had to face pale in comparison to having all of mankind ever die on them and then having to command every major figure of history ever, including the very same betrayers and enemies who felled those same Heroic Spirits, all living under the same roof for months if not years (depending on how you look at the Grand Order sliding timeline).

That goes way beyond the usual 'save the world' fare. Heroes from the past, more often than not, only had to lead members of a single culture, more or less uniformly organized, not people from literally every background ever. I repeat, in the practice, that is an impossible task. It'd be impossible even for the best, most charismatic individual on their own (the originally intended multiple Masters system Chaldea had would've had much better chances), and the fact it works when a cardboard print like Guda is at front only functions because of plot fiat.

LazyGlutton and Charles Flynn like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

True, but even if they didn't have to restore the world to how it was they still struggled to save it and can sympathize with Charlie over his circumstances because they've faced similar challenges in their lives, even if it isn't exactly the same kind of challenge he is facing.

Think of it like a cop sympathizing with a soldier over taking another persons life. Yeah the soldier fought in something much bigger than the cop, but both of them still went through something very similar and can sympathize with each other.

While true that a lot of the diverse groups tended to have members from one culture, there were some groups that were made up off members from different cultures, like Iskandar's armies, which had members from the various cultures he conquered in them.

The Servants are also most likely mentally struggling with the situation.

Remember that while some of them have an unusual, somewhat inhuman, outlook on the world, others are still very much more human, incredibly brave humans, but still humans.

Yeah the fact that they have incredible powers and can be re-summoned after being killed makes it easier for them compared to Charlie, whose an ordinary human that can't be brought back if he dies, but some of them still fear death, Scherezade being a prime example of a Servant terrified of death, because if they die then whatever killed them can also kill their Master, who is the last Master Chaldea has, and if he dies then the mission if basically over and the world stays dead.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  26. Threadmarks: Chapter 145
    Charles Flynn

Our progress, guided by Ishtar, is far swifter, seeing as our goodly and generous guide is capable of disintegrating the lion-creatures (helpfully identified as Urdimmu) in a single shot. Thus, in less than an hour, we can see a line across the horizon.

“What is that?” I marvel, trying to parse out just what it could be.

“The Absolute Demonic Front,” Ishtar answers, flying in close. I didn’t realize she was within earshot of me. I’ll have to be more aware of her position in the future.

She doesn’t clarify, and I’m honestly too terrified of her to ask questions. But, as we get closer, and the line comes further into focus, I realize what it is.

It’s a wall. A wall one hundred feet high and manned by humans. A wall under siege.

The beasts, some familiar, others new, are swarming the wall. Some are content to wait, but, every once in a while, one of them tries to scale the wall, and the others follow their brother’s example, the bestial horde creeping up the stone like a wave battering away at the beach. And like the waves of the ocean, they are forced back down, under the roar of the walls artillery emplacements, and the battle cries of its men.

Ishtar stops us while we’re still a couple miles out. “Right. This is close enough. You all stay here, okay?”

“Yes, milady,” I answer dutifully, as the goddess forms a portal and steps through.

Seriously, Flynn, do you really have to keep brown-nosing with her?’ Galahad sends over the mental link. ‘I mean, I guess she’s a good fighter, but that hardly seems like a worthwhile reason for tossing aside your dignity!

“AN GAL TIGAL SE!” a familiar voice roars in the distance, and suddenly, all the world is a spectacle of sound and fury.

The monsters die, of course, and I can feel the shockwave from here. The roar of the falling planet drowns out all sound, and as I lie dazed on my back, twenty feet behind where I was initially standing, I can feel blood trickle down from my ears.

Medea’s on me in an instant, repairing my blasted eardrums, and as I get to my feet, I give Galahad a Look.

Consider my objections withdrawn,’ he says in a subdued tone, staring at the half-a-mile-deep impact crater. She positioned her blast carefully, just far enough away to leave the Front unscathed, and close enough to wipe out the monsters. I have to admire that level of precision, to be honest.

And then, soaring through the skies, Babylon’s goddess of sex and violence is among us once more. “Come on, I cleared us a path!”

She’s cheerful, exuberant, even. Completely casual about the sheer destructive prowess she just displayed.

I have the weirdest boner right now.

“Indeed, milady, your kindness knows no bounds.” And with praise having been offered unto her, we depart.

---​

We have more trouble traversing the crater then we do with the Demonic Beasts. Soon, we’re at the gates of the Front, facing an entirely different problem.

“What part of ‘let me in,’ is so hard for you to understand, human?” the goddess asks irritably, glaring at the hapless garrison commander. “I am your goddess, am I not?”

The poor man is sweating up a storm. “What I mean is- we’re fighting the Three Goddess Alliance, and- um… Aren’t you our… enemy?”

Ishtar, for her part, looks distinctly unimpressed. “Little Denib, and yes, I do in fact know your name, you think I am your enemy.”

“Y-Yes.”

“I do believe that I have never heard anything so thoroughly insulting in my life!” Ishtar notes cheerfully, while I take several surreptitious steps away from her, striving to be outside the upcoming splash zone. “And I’ve talked to Gilgamesh, so I know insulting when I hear it.”

“M-my goddess, I intended no offence-“ the hapless commander babbles, damn near shitting his pants while his subordinates decide that I had the right idea and start backing away.

“Really, you, or that ungrateful worm Gilgamesh my enemy? Such inflated opinions of yourselves,” she notes with relish. “If I truly considered Uruk my enemy, I would have shattered this puny little wall of yours and left you to the mercy of the beasts. If I considered either you or Gilgamesh my enemies, I would simply swat you like the bugs you are.” She picks up the gate with one hand, stepping under it to look the now-sobbing Denib in the eyes as he falls to his knees, shivering helplessly. “So, no, little Denib. Neither you nor Uruk are my enemies. Not even Gilgamesh is truly my enemy. Because, if you were, you would already be dead. And you know what I find insulting about all of this?” Denib doesn’t respond. “Answer, Denib.”

“N-No, my goddess. I do not know.”

“What I find most insulting about this is that you thought yourselves my equal. After all, what could I call an enemy but an equal of sorts? Someone who could remotely pose a threat to me.” She steps up with an ugly smirk. “And we both know that you’re not even close to that. Same goes for Gilgamesh, really. So don’t try and pretend to be my enemy. Such shameless hubris is unbefitting of a mortal.” Denib nods frantically as she puts a friendly hand on his shoulders. “Now, then, Denib, what are you going to do?”

“I’m going to open the gate?”

“Good boy.” She turns away, and he faints behind her.

The gate rises, and we pass through it.

“Truly, my goddess, your mercy is beyond compare, to be so forgiving to the one that had inconvenienced you.” I’m surprised to find that I mean it. By Ishtar standards, that was practically turning the other cheek.

She blushes at that, for some reason. “Ah, well, I mean, I’m a stern goddess, after all, but I’m not a cruel one! I wouldn’t just kill him over a first offence. Just giving him a tongue-lashing and cursing him with impotence was more than enough.”

“Truly, milady is wise and just beyond all compare,” I say dutifully, comforting myself with the knowledge that at least it wasn’t me.

“Of course I am! Now let’s get moving! Uruk’s not too far away!”

---​

We arrive just before sunset, and Ishtar stops us just before we reach the gates.

“Well, this is where we part ways,” she says to me with a grin. “The Grand Ziggurat is just down Main Street from here. My temple is behind it, although you’ll probably only get there to drop off your offerings after you’re done presenting yourself to Gilgamesh.”

“Ah. Is that required of all visitors?” I ask politely.

She laughs. “No, no, I simply thought that introducing yourself to the local ruler would be your first priority.” She smirks, and then says something that makes my blood go cold. “Master of Chaldea.”

OHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUUUUUUUUUUCK. I can’t move. My blood freezes in my veins as I stare at her in pure, unadulterated horror.

“Oh, relax,” she says, grinning ear-to-ear as she watches me freak the fuck out. “I recognized you from the start. I just played along with your little charade because you promised me a proper set of offerings, and you have a gift for flattery.”

“In light of so wise and merciful a goddess as you, milady, no exaggeration, no matter how great could truly be called flattery, for words and minds cannot encompass the sheer scope of your greatness,” I reply on reflex, to which she smiles warmly.

“See? How could I go and kill you after you said something like that.” She kisses me on the cheek, and then rises. “Now go and meet the king. And be sure to keep your promise. After all, if I find out you cheated me, then I’ll be very cross with you.”

And then she’s gone, soaring off through the heavens, and I fall to my knees thanking God I’m still alive.

“Holy shit.”

“Flynn?” Galahad asks, placing a hand upon my shoulder. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, yeah. Just… Gonna need a minute.” I take a deep breath, and then get back up to my feet. “Alright. Let’s go meet the King.”

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

While we like to make fun of Ishtar, she is a war goddess and those tend to be the types of gods you run away from when they're pissed.

Charlie really has the habit of being attracted to lunatics doesn't he?

First Nero and now Ishtar.

Now I can't help but hope that Nero and Ishtar fight for Charlies affections, even when he doesn't want their affections and is terrified of them.

If things between Charlie and Ishtar actually go anywhere then he needs to be careful not to upset her, unless he wants to become impotent.

Not sure that they can reverse an impotence curse from a goddess, though maybe Paracelcus would like the opportunity to see if he can.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This reminded me of a scene in Sandman Presents: Lucifer.

In the comic Lucifer and a Native American girl go out to kill a bunch of ancient gods that are causing chaos and to get to the place they take a ride with a truck driver that works for an ancient middle eastern god that has since become a travel agent.

During the trip the driver becomes so annoying and assholish that when they reach the destination Lucifer curses him with impotence.

This has a whole lot of similarities to the comic.

Ancient religious figure working in the modern world.

Relatively ordinary human with some magic in them travels to kill some evil beings and on the way meets a god like being that helps them, but may also present an obstacle to the mission.

Charlie even has the risk of permanently losing his family like that girl in the comic lost her brother.due to the meddling of said god like being.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  29. EVA-Saiyajin

Charles used flatter.

It's...super effective?

30. Charles Flynn

Kissing up to people that could kill him in a heartbeat is something that, by necessity, he has become very good at.