1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Immortals [Worm]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Expo Onethousandone, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

Eye sockets are kinda a weak point.

No, he's just arrogant.

2. Gear

Gear Who threw that wrench!?

You also have to consider the time this happened in. Riley is still new. Very new, so her tinkertech isn't as good as it is during canon, as well as Jack may not have trusted her brainwashing enough to put himself under her mercy yet.

3. Tisaku

Tisaku Experienced.

million
    -Because you are something other than a complete moron? Overpopulation is a thing.-

myraddin likes this.
  4. Starfox5

Starfox5 Experienced.

Overpopulation can be dealt with easily with the kind of tech she has.

Valor and UberJJK like this.
  5. Tackyseven

Tackyseven I trust you know where the happy button is?

Isn't Riley like 12 during the S9 arc in canon? and triggerd around 5-6 years of age meaning she's been active for about 6 years the first time we see her and about 2-4(?) in this story?

UberJJK and KaneTW like this.
  6. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

In canon, Imp jammed a knife into Riley's eyesocket, but it didn't make it to the brain due to modifications that she'd done to herself. Pretty sure she could have done the same for Jack and the others.

Fleischer, Tackyseven and jrbless like this.
  7. Ack

When she was freshly triggered, she was good enough to keep reviving her family from fatal wounds over and over again, with items found in a common household. She only let them die when she became too physically, mentally and emotionally weary to keep going. She was really, really good, even then.

8. Syqadelic

Syqadelic Versed in the lewd.

It occurs to me that this is precisely the reason why Contessa engineered the PRT ENE's downfall. The secrets behind tinkertech, or Piggot and Armsmaster? No contest.

Khepri Plan? What's that?

9. Landr

Landr Getting sticky.

About Hatchet Fase and knife to the eye? Imp in cannon wasn't super-strong, right? And now HF got low-brute falling knife-first vith thinker's presicion, calculated for dealing macsimal damage. It's not the same things, IMHO.

P.S. English - not my first, so I give my apology for grammar and misspelling.

Subrosian Smithy likes this.
  10. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

And Jack died because it was fucking Aegis stabbing him in the eyes.

11. Landr

Landr Getting sticky.

Not just Aegis, but freshly-triggered AU-Aegis with less def, but lot more bite.

12. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

Basically when a brute stabs you in the fucking eyesockets, you feel it.

13. Subrosian Smithy

Subrosian Smithy Lady of the Mysteries

He hadn't triggered yet. If he had then both him and the 9 would have been disabled for a moment. More than that, if he had triggered, then - even though Jack himself might not have enough time to physically react - Broadcast would still pick Carlos' intentions up, and message Shatterbird/Burnscar/Siberian to take care of him ASAP. Jack's BS telepathy basically makes the 9 a subconscious extension of himself.

Hell, just look at Carlos talking about how he discovered his powers:

Sounds like a viable trigger event to me.

Fleischer, Shoes and theprofool like this.
  14. Ack

Jack has no telepathy.

His Broadcast shard does three things:

1) Lets him 'broadcast' the sharpness of a blade over effectively infinite distance.

2) Lets him be far more persuasive toward capes than should normally be possible. Maybe by undermining their judgement so that they actually listen, instead of dismissing what he's saying.

3) Lets him react to the actions of a cape before the action takes place, because he's subconsciously reading their intent via their shard.

I recall no situation where he's able to control the Nine as if they were a part of him.

15. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

Actually... The three of those things combined with his familiarity to them basically allows his shard to pass them 'suggestions' in a manner that he can basically predict how they would react to in a similar way to how he gets others to listen to him.

Ie he's not mind controling anyone... But he's so familiar with them that he can get them to do things he wants them to even without direct communication.

Subrosian Smithy likes this.
  16. Subrosian Smithy

Subrosian Smithy Lady of the Mysteries

Never outlined in canon, but it's there in the WoG if you care to believe in that stuff.

So Jack isn't just an intention receptor. He can also directly interfere with the intentions of capes, in a limited fashion... although he never knows he's doing any of it, because his shard is Halping.

17. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

That's an example of why a lot of people prefer to ignore WoG.

UberJJK likes this.
  18. Ack

Yeah.

So I suppose that explains how Jack survived for so long. One member or another 'accidentally' got in the way of attacks meant to take him out. The Nine were never more than mobile ablative armour for him.

19. Necrovore

Necrovore Not too sore, are you?

Gives some interesting parallels to King then.

20. Tackyseven

Tackyseven I trust you know where the happy button is?

the fact that Carlos wasn't a cape when he killed jack slash is the reason he succeeded in the first place. Jack was taken completely by surprise since there was no shard that broadcast could communicate with to read Carlos intentions.

21. Expo Onethousandone

Expo Onethousandone Totally a Writer

Yes, exactly. Jack was so used to sensing attacks coming from a mile away that he was caught completely unaware by Carlos. Had a parahuman attacked him, then Mr. Slash would have been warned immediately by his shard.

Jack had been enhanced by Bonesaw, but his upgrades weren't as advanced as the ones Bonesaw would have developed in another 2-3 years. He was sporting something like the MK2 versions, rather than the Mark 4 or 5's that he would have had in another 2-3 years. He was tough enough that a 30lb oak chair swung full-force by an exceptionally strong teenager didn't cave in his skull, but not quite tough enough to avoid being knocked unconscious.

It was the follow-up that did the real damage. If Carlos had tired to finish off Jack any other way besides stabbing him straight in the brain, then Bonesaw would have been able to fix him up with little effort.

Gojira, Beyogi, UberJJK and 8 others like this.
  22. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

Just discovered and binge-read the whole thing... Awesome.
    And what makes you say healers being rare is fanon? I can only recall 2 healers from canon, Panacea and Scapegoat. And Riley by the end... (and if you really stretch, Clockblocker, from keeping people alive long enough for real help to get there)

It was even mentioned that there are NO healing powers, all healing powers are a side-effect of the real power.
    It's mentioned that the artificial muscles of Taylor's new powersuit were derived from Riley's work.
    Shard pinging is NOT known in canon. I don't even think Cauldron was aware of that. Fan knowledge of this is entirely based on WoG, and possibly bits of one of the entities PoV chapters (I know there was the Scion interlude, not sure if there were any other bits from an Entity's PoV).

23. happydeath

happydeath (Verified Nihilist)

Othala could grant regeneration.

24. lendary

lendary Making the rounds.

“Another pattern we will be exploring is the apparent effect of multiple trigger events occurring in the same time and place. There is a very strong correlation between coinciding trigger events and individuals displaying three or more powers rather than one or two predominant ones.”
    Seninel 9.3
    They don't know specifics but they are aware of the phenomenon.

“The odds are still high, even with an adopted child. It’s likely more to do with exposure to parahumans at formative ages than genetics.”
    Interlude 13
    And they're pretty certain it isn't genetic.

25. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

Shards pinging is not a "pattern [they] will be exploring." Shard pinging is when a newly activating shard gathers info from already active shards. They're exploring multiple shards activating at the same time. Basically they're exploring mass Triggers; not a Trigger happening around a lot of other capes.

Gotta love pointing to someone own cite to refute them...
    Ah, yes, forgot about her.

My point still stands, next to no named healers in Worm canon, compared to other types of Capes. I've not seen anything in Canon or WoG to make me think healers aren't extremely rare.

I'm honestly curious why healers being rare was labeled as "bad fanon."

26. lendary

lendary Making the rounds.

Ah, I see. That seems like the same phenomenon to me, but the characters apparently aren't aware of that. My apologies.

27. Ack

Scion could at least cure cancer. But getting his attention is difficult to say the least.
    Eidolon could presumably call on healing abilities. But when Hero was bisected, he still wasn't able to save him. And he doesn't seem to make a habit of healing people.
    Othala can bestow regeneration, while she's at least in the vicinity, and it turns off if she gives powers to anyone else. Also, the regeneration is relatively slow (more along the lines of 'your shattered knee will actually heal and be useful again, rather than knit together into a useless lump of flesh' than 'tomorrow you'll be dancing the tango').
    Scapegoat can swap the healthy aspect of alternate-universe versions of you with your damaged areas, taking the injuries on to himself until he can pass them on to an opponent. He suffers the full effect of the injuries while he has them. Canonically, he hates his powers.

Panacea ... can heal any injury. She can cure freaking cancer. There is no doubt that, in terms of pure versatility and accessibility, she's head and shoulders over everyone else.

TBH, there are not many powers that could have "healing" as a viable side effect. Thus, there's not many people recognised as 'healers'.

EDIT: forgot Lizardtail, but he came along later in canon, and he wasn't really well-known, being one of Accord's Ambassadors.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  28. jrbless

jrbless You needed worthy opponents.

Bonesaw can also heal just about anything.
    Marquis can heal bone injuries by causing the bones to grow the right way, but needs help with everything else.

29. Ack

Bonesaw can use Tinker-level medical capability to treat injuries. She actually has to put the patient back together physically. Doctor, yes. Healer, no.

Yes, Marquis can do that, but it's so limited that I would hesitate to call him a 'healer'.

30. turbinicarpus

turbinicarpus Formerly 'Pahan'

So, when's Simurgh going to show up and ruin Everything? :eek:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Follower38 and Impartial Panic like this.