1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a Phase [Worm]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by FirstSelector, Dec 20, 2021.

1. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

No. There are cases where a minor can file a lawsuit without their guardian, but they're very limited and this is not one of them. Danny might have been to get a lawyer to help them do something like that (depending on the details of the laws ansd what exactly the PRT had done, but with the way he is in this story Taylor would basically be asking the PRT to sue itself...

apeljohn, SlickRCBD, BF110C4 and 2 others like this.
  2. RogueInquisitor

RogueInquisitor Getting sticky.

Actually, she would be suing the school. If the PRT got involved at all, I would expect it would be the school trying to claim they were acting at the direction of the PRT as a defense. However, actually filing the lawsuit would require the assistance of, at the minimum, the conspicuously absent Agent Watkins, who I strongly doubt views their role as anything other than a name on the guardianship form, and doesn't expect to have to actually do anything.

3. Praetrunco

Praetrunco Getting sticky.

Hmm. I must have read a very different scene, because not once could I find anything remotely tangential to Taylor agreeing she'd never reported anything, or mention of the freshman year at all.

I don't see how that doesn't fit what we see of Taylor in canon, as she literally has to escalate to the point of threatening to bring a weapon in and *still* Blackwell does not give any aspect of her existence the same regard as she does Emma, Sophia, and Madison, despite them being accused of a laundry list of various offenses that, you yourself, admit she is guilty of criminal offense in not doing her due diligence by remotely caring about in any sense.

You'd have to be operating with the exact same mindset as Blackwell to come to that opinion of the relevant scene and Taylor, frankly. Especially given that, again, nobody mentions ANYTHING regarding freshman year, prior incidents, or anything of that ilk.

And to
    No, the stupid mistake would be assuming that paperwork is going to do a damn thing to people willing to employ concerted malicious negligence to the degree they already had prior, and did in reader view up to and especially there, to where they disregarded whatever the fuck they want at a whim.

The only way that school and that principal especially does anything, is if they are removed from a position of authority and forced to by someone else.

I'm honestly surprised Blackwell managed to appropriately clean up the locker and not wind up getting the student body quarantined by the CDC.

4. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

The issue is that Taylor wouldn't be suing the school, she's a Minor and couldn't sue them.
    Her legal guardians would need to do so on her behalf, and that's currently the PRT.

Since the whole point of the lawsuit in the original post was to force the PRT to reveal information they want kept hidden, there's no way they'd agree to that.

THere was no mention of Freshman year at all, but they state Taylor didn't complain about Emma until after she'd attacked Emma outside the school, and (unlike the lies and twisted truths Taylor reacts to, that she just accepts as the full truth.
    I'm talking about Taylor's character. Do you honestly think Taylor giving up and knuckeling down to authority fits what we see of her in canon?

If all you do is file the report, and trust the school to act on it? Sure.
    The issue is that if you (very sensibly) don't trust them you need to establish a paper trail before you can escelate over their heads.
    Baiscally if you go to the school District with "The school isn't treating me fairly, and I want you to do something about it" the first thing they'll ask is for the paper trail of the reports. If you have them, even if the school tried to trash them or refused to acknowledge them? Then you will get them to move forward (that doesn't mean you'll get what you want, but at least you can get them to listen to you). If you don't have them not only won't you get anyone to listen, you'll establish yourself as a troublemaker who refuses to work with the Bureaucracy, i.e you'll make the school's case for them.

Now granted, a child without an adult to support them would have a lot of difficulty leveraging this but even before e-mail got very common it was not impossible especially as one of the cases where Minors can hire a lawyer on their own and file lawsuits without a guardian involve abuse. That means that even if you can't get the school district to do anything with the reports, you need to establish the paper trail so you can get a lawyer to force them to do so (and with the level of abuse Taylor suffered there'd be plenty of lawyers who'd take her case on a contingency basis to sue the school...if she had established they were ignoring her).

Basically, there's no benefit to saving the incidents for one big report, and a lot to filing a bunch of reports, and that is more true if the school is ignoring the reports.

There's a bunch of stuff their bosses can do to them short of that, but even granting that for the sake of argument, the point is the only way you can reach that end game is if you have a paper trail to demonstrate what they did.

I'm not.
    First, fanon really likes to overstate how dangerous the locker was, there's no way the CDC was going to get involved because of that.
    Second, a single incident, no matter how bad, is a single incident and not assumed as the fault of the school administration just an indication of how messed up kids can be. Now if there was a pattern of incidents that the school ignored? That would be very different, but with no paper trail Blackwell can easily claim she had no way of knowing about it.

apeljohn, BF110C4 and riaantheunissen like this.
  5. Praetrunco

The thing about character is that it changes based on one's experiences, the majority of the time. The exception is people who are magically able to ignore absolutely everything, either because they're broken at 100% optimism, or they're sociopaths, and can't.

Taylor's experience with authority is that it is incapable, uninterested, and maliciously incompetent.

Except for when she as a cape is capable of brute forcing her position, she knuckles down. Of course, that said, once she is no longer just a civilian, most of her knuckling down is simply brute-forcing things with subtlety.

As such, explicitly, yes.

Yes, trust the staff that are engaging in malicious negligence to not do so that you can prove they aren't. ;)

Given, basic reason (events that are documented elsewhere, such as the police, the hospital, etc), there exists enough of a paper trail that Taylor can establish such without requiring the veritably insipid route of walking in and going "Hey, can I have things that generally, you don't have to release to me at all, and informing you that I desire them could conceivably open me up to even greater negligence AND violence from those you're existentially conspiring with?"

To draw on real life: In my freshman year, I was given 60+ visits to ISS by my vice principal. He, at around 55, informed me that, by the rules, should've expelled me back around 34 or 35 because that was district policy. Given my grades, tempering influence on friends (while I was sort of the anchor for numerous and varied cliques, I spent the majority of my time with the metalheads/stoners/goths/etc), relative innocuousness of offenses, and other factors (such as basically a perfect year in 8th grade), not only he, but the principal, and their bosses, didn't feel it would be conducive to "reformation" to go strict and zero tolerance on me. He'd only informed me of such because that particular punishment's inciting incident was a bit worse than my typical.

Given the state of Winslow, I'd make a safe guess the district has no lesser school to remand students who can't properly follow the rules to, and apparently doesn't believe in in school suspension at all, so...

If you push and the administration refuses to do *anything*, the only realistic option is to evade them entirely. And, to reiterate, it would be a mistake to assume they'd cooperate in any extent in providing you the necessary information to cost them their jobs or send them to jail.

Just the scene with Gladly alone - pre bombing, nevermind his contribution to the post-punch scene, establishes that the schools' claims are vapor and that the paper trail that should exist, as well as any relevant actions thereafter, are abhorrently absent and Blackwell especially egregiously negligent.

Given said focal scene, you'd have to be ignoring every individual event of significance to pretend that there isn't already a trail firmly establishing they have failed to even contemplate due diligence, especially given that afterwards, Taylor isn't taken to task. RL again: In sixth grade (in a completely different state from prior example), I once joked to a friend that I was going to kill him - referring to our habit of playing video games together after school - and in under a minute, the teacher had removed me from the classroom, where I was taken to the office and then ISS for the rest of the day, before being expelled for a brief period of time, like two days if I remember correctly, owing solely to an absolutely stellar record.

An overreaction, even for the fact Columbine was literally less than a year fresh, especially given that not once - from the teacher laying hands on me, to the district staff informing me face to face of my expulsion, asked for input that might you know, provide any context beyond "Oh hey, words.", neglecting even the tone of their delivery or their reception. My friend was just as confused as I, even after the fact. They never even bothered asking him about it. None of the kids sitting by had reacted because they knew all we talked about was either video games or sci-fi and fantasy books.

Back to the issue proper, given other factors *cough* Sophia, her handler, etc *cough*, Blackwell's failures are magnified in extreme. On Bet, in BB, post-bombing, after referential punching? Yeah, no.

And hey, even if we ignore Taylor trying to go to the district before, after that, there damn well actually is a paper trail now, and your entire stance is orders of magnitude more pointless, 'even for the sake of argument'.... as she can use that troublemaker bullshit nobody would fucking care about in that position TO HER ADVANTAGE.

That's not even a question of fanon, that's just simple basic scientific fact. Pretending otherwise is like stating you believe in that 10% of the brain garbage Hollywood loves. It instantly destroys your credibility and implies a lack of general intelligence, much less relevant knowledge.

Rotting human refuse is not fun to play in.

A single cut from shaving her legs or city buses being garbage and there's an instant vector for infection, and a weakened immune system from stress can mean she doesn't need to sit in it for hours or overnight like some fics to develop issues, even if not resulting in amputations, organ loss, and so on.

Decomposing biological material, bad. Menses, one of the more concerning brands.

The CDC can and frequently does get itself involved in STD or other "minor" outbreaks, so arguing they have no grounds for involvement there is... just plain dumb.

ArKFallen, apeljohn, Ack and 12 others like this.
  6. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

Have you actually bothered to read what I wrote? The whole point is that because she doesn't trust them she needs a lot of reports.
    If they were actually trying to be helpful a single report about everything that was going on would work, because they can't be trusted that you need a much more significant paper trail, and need to work to preserve it.
    Nope. The only documented incident is the locker, that was a year and ahalf after the bullying started, we're talking about all the incidents leading up to that.

The locker has enough impossibilities that the only choice for events from there on is to suspend disbelief, I'm talking about events before that.
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention does get involved in dealing with outbreaks of infectious diseases, when called by doctors/hospitals for assistance because there is an outbreak of unknown source or a particularly virulent strain of something. It does not get involved when you have a single patient with a known (and contained) source of infection, so even if Taylor had gotten infected with something the CDC wouldn't have been called in

EDIT:
    Look, lets turn this around. Assume you're right and there's no benefit to making reports. If that's the case then Taylor was just wasting her time recording events because if there's no benefit to making reports at the time the incident happened, there's definitely no benefit to reporting things months after the fact.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
    ArKFallen, apeljohn, Ack and 2 others like this.
  7. Extras: Omake: A Fate Unlearned
    FirstSelector

FirstSelector something else entirely

Omake: A Fate Unlearned

In retrospect, I should have known it was a trap.

I had to give some credit to the PRT — I did actually have a second cousin named Katharine who lived in the area, and I had considered going to see her and her family more than once in my loneliness. However, I had not wanted to try to describe the sequence of events that had landed me in Boston (or why we hadn’t called in so long) for fear of making even more problems for myself.

The last time I had seen Katharine had been Mom’s funeral, of course, but she was only a year older than me and it had been nice to have another shoulder to cry on. There hadn’t been much time to bond further than that, though she had stuck with me during the whirlwind of other family members coming to give their condolences.

I heaved a breath — now was really not the time to be worrying about Katharine. I sincerely doubted she had anything to do with my current predicament.

At the front of the streetcar-subway-thing, the obvious PRT plant glanced back at the sound. He had seemed apologetic, for what little that was worth, but I was still stuck here on the MTA until I could suddenly magic a nickel out of thin air.

A nickel. That was all that stood between me and freedom.

If I was being honest with myself, I had let my guard down. Discovering that my cousin lived in Roxbury — just a short ride away — had seemed innocent enough, especially how much I used the public in Boston transportation to escape the PRT’s clutches during the weekends. Hop on the Green Line, hop off a few stops later… it had seemed simple at the time.

I still might have avoided the trap if I had realized that the driver of this particular train was much bigger than the typical MTA operators. Even sitting down, PRT troopers had an air of alertness that was probably necessary to survive in their jobs. I remember thinking that the driver seemed strange, but I had put it out of my mind in lieu of thinking about what I would say to Katharine.

What had really given it away was his voice. When I had gone to leave, he had informed me in no uncertain terms that due to unusually large passenger traffic, the MTA was instituting an exit fee of a nickel. It had not been the ‘follow this rule but I won’t stop you if you are threatening me’ that was necessary to not get shanked for normal drivers, but the cold, clipped tones of someone who expected their order to be obeyed.

As it turned out, that was actually a rule on the books. The price obviously hadn’t been updated from the seventies when the law was initially implemented (it had been unpopular at the time, too), but nonetheless I was barred from exiting the subway for lack of a nickel.

The most galling part was that I was sure I could leave whenever I wanted. The PRT was obviously hoping I would crack under the pressure and the absurdity of five measly cents, after which I was sure they could cook up some even more absurd reason why they should take what few rights I had left. Becoming a probationary Ward over something so stupid would be just my luck, and I refused to give them the satisfaction.

So here I was, riding the MTA around in circles instead of seeing my family.

My phone buzzing was actually a welcome distraction from watching the same buildings and stations come and go again. Lily had been uncharacteristically angry when I had texted her about my predicament, specifically the fact that I hadn’t eaten since breakfast due to being stuck on this damn train. She promised to handle everything for me, and while I was usually loathe to trust the PRT or its minions, the hunger really was starting to get to me.

Thus, as we pulled into the Government Center station, I followed her instructions and discreetly rolled down the window. Escaping myself was out of the question, but Lily was going to bring me something and this was the easiest way for her to help without getting involved.

“Taylor!” she called from the edge of the station as we rolled in. “Here, take this!” She brandished a bag at me, and I was barely able to hook it out of her hand as we rumbled through.

Inside the bag was a sandwich.

The PRT agent driving the train didn’t offer any complaint as I unpacked the food and ate it with as much grace as I could manage. It was a good sandwich, and while part of me wanted to find Lily and ask her for the recipe for the sauce, the rest of my mind was consumed by a different question:

Why hadn’t she brought me a nickel?

8. KingCrimson1081

KingCrimson1081 Experienced.

Three days later and Lily still has yet to bring a nickel despite showing up to deliver food daily. At that point the PRT agents stuck stationed on the train with Taylor are about ready mutiny themselves.

Edit: Also how embarrassed will the PRT be when they realize that Taylor actual does have a cousin in Boston, since it would be obvious that this isn't an attempt to run away.

pok08, Gojira, apeljohn and 31 others like this.
  9. Chandrak

Chandrak Verified Monstergirl Lover

I cannot fucking stop laughing. My parents practically raised me on this song. Like, literally my mother and my aunt and grandmother had full multi-harmony guitar scoring and we’d sing it at family gatherings.

Well done on all the references ;P

10. Santo

Santo I want to enter your Temple

I just, holy shit. I don't know what this references, but man is this funny. Thanks a bunch.

11. FirstSelector

12. Rymu

Rymu Connoisseur.

Lily watches too many cartoons and did in fact bring Taylor nickles.

Much to the displeasure of Taylor the next time she uses the toilet.

13. KingCrimson1081

Taylor: "I'm killing Lily next time I see her."

PRT Agent who has to accept the smelly nickel: "Me too kid, me too."

14. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

LOL!
    It took me much too long to figure out what you were referencing.

15. Rhyne

Rhyne Getting sticky.

I love that song, so much fun!

SyfyMovieFan and FirstSelector like this.
  16. MudkipSage

MudkipSage Versed in the lewd.

I'm just pumped that "The Insubordinationing" continues. Thanks for the chapter OP!

17. Extras: Omake: Sacrifice
    Mr.unlucky

Mr.unlucky Getting out there.

(this was rush feel free to used it for a one-shot)

Omake: Sacrifice

'why did it come to this' Lily thought looking through a one-way window. Taylor sitting in the interrogation room across the table she is sitting in Armstrong pleading with her to cooperate.

about two months ago Rebecca Costa-Brown herself send an agent of hers to force Taylor to get with the ward program it started with a disciplined exercise, then she was forced to see some videos of victims of Slaughterhouse 9. they hope it would promote empathy but it seems to do the opposite.

Armstrong was against all this saying this will push Taylor to be a villain but had no choice but to let the agent do what he want's. the Youth Gard was blackmailed and bribe to not get involved with Taylor. after a month of this, seeing no sign of changing her mind the agent decides the best way to force cooperation is to put her in isolation.

trap in her room with nothing but a bed and toilet. giving a tray of food three times a day. everyone in the base fully expects her to use her power and leave some wouldn't blame her but the strange thing is she didn't. she was told "When you are ready to be a real hero just knock on the door" Days go by everyone on edge not knowing what when she will run. after a week with no response, the agent opens her door with a smirk believing she would comply after being isolated for so long. he was shocked when Taylor told him to "Fuck off" and went to bed completely ignoring the agent.

every week he would come, and Taylor would say the same thing every time after a month of this the agent decide it would be best to send her to a special camp for troublesome kid cape's Armstrong asks to give him a chance to change Taylor's mind before they send her away. which wasn't working as Taylor is not responding to Armstrong pleading or what will happen to her once she is send to the camp.

"Taylor it's a Bootcamp You won't have any privacy or any sort of freedom. I can't stop them, not unless you at the very least do the Power Testing" Taylor stared at him with a blank face before responding "I want to talk to Lily" Confused by her statement Armstrong agreed hoping Lily will convince her.

entering the room, Lily worried for Taylor and wondered why she was asked to come hare. "tell me Lily do you know how I trigger?" shocked by her question she shake her head no. smiling back Taylor replay " i was shoved in my locker that was full of biowaste from the girl's bathroom. I was stuck there for hours." Lily was horrified by this before she could say anything taylor continue.
    "as you can guess i wanted out. i would hit my locker door over and over again begging to be let out. i was getting desperate, i scream 'i'll do anything please let me out'." Taylor's face was full of despair A tear fell from her eye "I never before regret more than uttering those words." both Armstrong and Lily were confused by that statement before she continues.

"my power is not intangible. it's sacrifice. i was unable to control it at the time and my memories of my Mother were gone. I don't remember her face. her name, her personality, her entire exiting was gone. the only thing i remember of her is that ward of yours taught me how she's dead."

shock and horrified by this revolution Lilly didn't know what to do. "with that sacrifice not only i can't be touched, im a blindspot for all thinkers. I wonder what sort of power would i get when i sacrifice everything you hero's done to me for the past two months?"
    Taylor's eyes started to glow blue "Let's find out shall we?"

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  18. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

It could do with some (OK, a lot of) editing, but that's a pretty scary power.

19. Mr.unlucky

Mr.unlucky Getting out there.

It;s something that got stuck in my head. i will edited it but I'm hoping other people will take the ideal and spin it there own way.

the power not only makes Taylor more powerful it also makes her trigging worst. not knowing or remembering her mothers love for her or anything about her. making her hatred towards hero's and refused to work for them and go villain all more reasonable.

pok08, apeljohn, Ack and 6 others like this.
  20. Impatient_Quill

Impatient_Quill I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ya... it's just not a very Worm power. In DxD, One Piece, Harry Potter... a setting where concepual powers make sense, it works.

21. SlickRCBD

SlickRCBD none

I just realized that this is probably why the schools start to punish YOU for complaining.
    It discourages you from having the needed paper trail should you try to escalate or go to outside sources.
    The excuse for the punishments of "lying" "insufficient proof" "tattling" "wasting my time by making a mountain out of a molehill" "being too thin-skinned" are just excuses to punish you for complaining and making a paper trail.

I can't believe it's taken me 30 years to realize this.
    Threatening to bring a weapon is grounds for severe punishment where I went to school. Threats just merit punishment, they don't make Authorities bend to your whims. Funny how Authorities have no problem making threats even if they try to call them "warnings" or "promises". Just like "Violence is never the solution", unless they are threatening to "restrain" you or use force to get their way.
    Emma, Sophia, and Madison back each other up, and have hangers on to support their stories. Taylor has no witnesses to back up her claims. So the Trio are believed over Taylor, and after multiple times this happens Taylor gets written off as an attention-seeking liar looking to use the school as a weapon against the popular kids.

ArKFallen, apeljohn, Dakkah and 15 others like this.
  22. KingCrimson1081

Honeslty the fact that Winslow is getting away with their negligence scot free is just another slap in the face to Taylor at this point. I mean at least the PRT could have made a show of coming down on the school itself for the bullying in an attempt to get Taylor's loyalty if they weren't willing to punish Sophia or Emma but no they couldn't even be bothered to do that.

23. Praetrunco

I feel like I specifically addressed that. Oh, because I did.

I never said they make authority bend to your whims. They don't negate contractual obligations to due diligence, which Blackwell herself ironically brings up how they're ensuring it for them, but through her actions, not her.

Given that other students parents were witness to said threat, the fact Taylor saw no punishment for it puts the entire situation under a microscope that says "Highly Suspicious".

24. KingCrimson1081

You know I just found out that 'The Boys' original comic book was released in 2006 so it is entirely possible that it exists on Earth Aleph, which means that Taylor could get access to it since Aleph and Bet trade movies and books. So wouldn't it be quite the scene for Taylor to be openly reading the comic during her next PR tour as well as answering any questions the tourists have about the plot of the comic.

25. KingCrimson1081

Had some time on my hands so I decided to find some of the unthreadmarked omakes and bring them to FirstSelector 's attention.

apeljohn, Dakkah, Lement and 5 others like this.
  26. FirstSelector

Well now I feel pretty dumb, because I thought I already went through and grabbed them. Bunch of really good omake in there, so kudos to the authors. Several are close enough to canon that I'm tempted to mark them as such, but I need to check some details.

Thanks for both putting in the effort and then pinging me, I super appreciate it!

Gregory Crey, R3APER, Dakkah and 6 others like this.
  27. KingCrimson1081

Question, have we gotten a description of the other Boston Wards, and the full roster of members of both the Wards and Protectorate. I know Guass, Nebula and Bastion are members of the Protectorate but the team isn't three members same with the Wards that aren't really mentioned much like Lightspeed and Trapper who I think have been mentioned as Wards. I mean one thing Taylor did in Worm was basically eye fuck the people she met so is she just actively trying not to pay attention to the people around her in Boston?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  28. Rymu

Rymu Connoisseur.

Now that you point it out, it is a bit weird that Taylor isn't eyefucking much of her team. Guess this situation might kill her labido whilst canon couldn't.

29. KingCrimson1081

I mean both Roulette, Lily, and Connie are girls so it is very weird that Taylor isn't doing her totally not gay evaluation of their looks. I guess them being Wards is a total turn off for her after everything that happened.

30. Garreon

Garreon Horny Overlord

She has more pressing things on her mind, isn't feeling charitable towards anyone affiliated with the PRT and is trying to live a double life without getting arrested....while she lives in the building she considers hostile territory, controlled by the people she isn't feeling charitable about and can arrest her.