1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a Phase [Worm]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by FirstSelector, Dec 20, 2021.

1. BF110C4

BF110C4 Know what you're doing yet?

It would need to be both for a Second Trigger, and even then she would need to be trapped with the dying and rotting body of her father for it to happen. The Slaughterhouse arc showed clearly how high are the standards for a Second Trigger to occur basically destroying Grue physically and mentally in one of the most nightmarish scenes of Worm, it says a lot that even for the SH9, whose usual target for torture far worse than death are other parahumans, a Second Trigger is incredibly rare.

That said, Taylor would probably gain a Mover power, because the only way to keep her trapped are to either throw her in a pocket dimension, bury her alive so deep that she cannot phase out before running out of air or a absolutely perfect force field, tractor beam or gravity plate that keeps her in the same place. All the same her personal traits would be magnified, so we should expect rampart paranoia and her basically becoming a hermit who really hates the government.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  2. KingCrimson1081

KingCrimson1081 Experienced.

Yeah that seems like what would have to happen in order to cause Taylor to second trigger it would also probably be needed to be done by someone Taylor trusts on some level just to nail in the connection to the first trigger.

As for the potential powers a second trigger might give considering her powers seem to be based around escaping and threat avoidance a mover ability seems likely perhaps an ability to phase through various dimensions. It could also enhance her trump ability making her go from a thinker blind spot to something that actively attacks thinkers if they attempt to use their abilities on her. Or she can get something unrelated to her current abilities such as a master power to control other people by phasing into their bodies like an evil spirit.

BF110C4 likes this.
  3. Qaw

Qaw Know what you're doing yet?

A second trigger is usually a cop-out by a mediocre author that wrote themselves into a corner or has run out of ideas.

It is the Evil Twin trope of worm.

4. BF110C4

For what I remember about Second Triggers (ST) it can't ever be unrelated to the primary power because the mechanics are that the ST allows the shard to reevaluate the experience it has gained from the host and then edit the powers with that additional knowledge, which is the reason most of the people without a Manton Limit had a ST and the shard that now has a better understanding of the human body and mind (particularly the host's) looses the restrictions of the power in question allowing things such as manifesting force fields inside others, also during that period shards are able to enter in 'conference call' mode with other shards to learn other tricks within the basic field of the shard of the host ST.

For Taylor to gain a Master power first she would need to have her second trigger close to one or more Master capes with a compatible enough power mechanism to her own. For example I think that Regent/Hijack could do the possesion trick because his shard would teach Phase's how to manipulate nerve connections when ghosting over someone, but Gallant's Emo-blasts would be too different for Taylor's shard to learn enough to Master someone.

KingCrimson1081 likes this.
  5. KingCrimson1081

I kinda just threw in the master power idea because while Taylor may have different powers in this fic her shard is still QA and is very much geared to controlling different life forms. It is also not so far fetched for Taylor to be near Regent at some point considering that Lisa is gonna have an upcoming roll in the story so the other Undersiders showing up at some point and meeting Taylor is not outside the range of possibilities. Hell Taylor might get a striker ability based around the Sting Shard if she happens to ST near Lily.

BF110C4 likes this.
  6. KingCrimson1081

Just had an amusing idea about Emma being very hostile to Browbeat due to her seeing it as someone else taking Taylor's spot on the Brockton Wards team. Even more so if Browbeat is actually Madison like in Inheritance.

7. BF110C4

If she even thinks about it the rest of the ENE Wards as well as any supervising adult are shutting her down hard. After the local Wards lost Phase to Sophia's and Emma's psychopatic actions, the lesser reveal that at least Sophia was bothering Vista and the constant remainder that the Youth Guard nowadays is always watching there is no way Gallant or Aegis won't confront her the very second they see her acting anything less than cordial with the new Ward no matter how hard she tries to dismiss her behavior as harmless.

Also the psychologist currently in rotations would have quite a few words with Emma if she tries to be hostile to a new person just because she feels is taking Taylor place, not only due to the fact that the only persons guilty of driving Phase away were Shadow Stalker and Ampere but also because Emma's instintive reaction of finding a scapegoat and torturing it when in any form of emotional distress is the kind of coping mechanism that needs to be destroyed ASAP, for her sake and the safety of those around her. Frankly considering the extremes she carried out the bullying of Taylor and the danger of an unstable parahuman doing that basically to any random person a few too many incidents and they might start considering putting her in observation in a full time mental institution for a few months until they can be assured she won't try to do it one more time.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  8. KingCrimson1081

Yeah the main reason why Emma got away with her bullying in canon was that she and the others had been gaslighting the school against Taylor while maintaining a good reputation with everyone else, in this story however her reputation is basically garbage due to the knowledge that she and Sophia tortured and innocent person until they triggered and didn't feel guilty about it until being hit over the head by the consequences of her actions. Now that is revealed what Emma is actually like when no one is around to call her out on her actions is gonna put a lot of her teammates on edge around her already it seems that all of them have droped her as a friend baring Dean which might get him in trouble with Vicky considering her opinion on Emma in cannon even more so now if she knows why everyone is now treating her differently now.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if Emma started having problems dealing with other heroes in Brockton due to her professional reputation being destroyed due to her actions and makes heroes like those in New Wave and other Protectorate branches view her with distrust or being uncomfortable working with her going forward.

9. BF110C4

Yeah, the inner workings of the Wards are probably thrown out of whack due to the toxic influence of Emma and Sophia as well as the disruption of the YG applying full punitive actions against the ENE Wards Program, one more incident and the Wards might do something the adults will regret.

At this point of time any bonds of friendship between Emma, Sophia and the rest of the ENE Wards is already broken, Emma can forget about double dates with Gallant and GG, Dennis does not crack jokes in front of either of them and any patrol is done on a uncomfortable silence. If a second case of bullying is found by the Wards and the adults decide to once more deal with it quietly, without informing them of the measures taken the team might decide to be proactive for their own protection. From there the good Wards got plenty of options to make Emma's stay in the program as uncomfortable as posible, things like the Law of Silence whenever either get in the room, hyperawareness and overreporting of breach of the regs, unvolunteering whenever they got patrols -with the reasons registered in writing- and letters of complain up to the chain of command thorugh Youth Guard.

With how fragile is the position of the ENE Wards in the eyes of the larger PRT/Protectorate community something would give eventually and either Piggot would be forced to deal with the situation openly or the National Protectorate Office would get directly involved and take control off her hands which would be easy in the administrative sense simply because a PRT office taking command of a Ward team from the local Protectorate leader was an aberration in the first place.

10. KingCrimson1081

Its even mentioned in story during Armstrong's pov that the Youth Guard was digging up a lot of irregularities in Piggot's department to a point that the entire Wards team was benched due to the investigation and considering this story was inspired by Implacable I have a strong idea on what those irregularities are, it could also explain why Lisa was in Boston if the Youth Guard was getting closer to Coil's operations he could have sent her to investigate the ward that caused all of it. It wouldn't surprise me if the ramifications on what happens in Brockton will effect Taylor's situation in Boston.

11. BF110C4

Actually in canon the Wards Team was pretty insulated from Coil’s spy network until Chariot tried to infiltrate the operation (and was discovered by Kid Win while recruiting him), he didn’t knew their secret identities nor had a hold of their operations. If anything he is probably trading favors with Accord, who is probably concerned about having an anti-thinker Ward near his base of operations and needs additional information to adjust his plans.

12. KingCrimson1081

True but I was mostly referring to any issues in the ENE PRT's files that the Youth Guard are going through during their audit that could lead back to Calvert and his operations to undermine Piggot's authority in Brockton. While on that topic it would be halirious if Taylor got called into Armstrong's office to be congratulated for helping uncover the corruption in Brockton Bay due to her sending the complaint that started the investigation.

As for the Accord situation that is probably what is happening considering the fact that the person Taylor saved on her first night out was most likely working for Accord and probably reported back to his boss about the new vigilante and Accord acted accordingly. Which brings up the chance of Taylor being targeted by Accord and his ambassadors for either recruitment or death.

apeljohn and Ashley9469 like this.
  13. Brian1973

Brian1973 Getting out there.

On AO3 Lisa is one of the tagged characters for this fanfic. So she is probably going to come up a bit more prominently than just one short visit for assesment. In regards to that I'm kind of in a wait and see position. On the whole I personally think Lisa as all knowing McGuffin is extremly overdone (in particular when she gives Taylor/the MC a help me to get away from Coil quest which she wasn't even angleing for in canon until it basically just happened). Of course in a true AU Lisa is not nessearily beholden to Coil or even living in BB.

For similar reasons I hope we can just skip Coil. Coil is laser focused on BB and Taylor is in Boston. In adition Coil wants to fly under the radar, messing with a Ward kind of attracts attention. Coil should still be giddy about soon being able to aquire Dinah and focus on that. Coil could be way more interesting, if he actualy manages to become Director of PRT ENE and play both sides in BB. Maybe even never as antagonist but as a strange side character where it is obvious for the reader what he has going on but not to the characters we follow until the sittuation in BB is exposed by someone else.

Overall I would be happy for the story to stay in Boston and ignore several canon stations for quite some time.

14. BF110C4

Agreed, particularly because Accord is a known ally of Calvert and as an enemy he is actually far too dangerous for Coil to anger, the ability to make perfect binary choices is of little help against a plannification Thinker who can start a counterattack weeks before the effect is directly observable. Going to his territory unannounced to mess with a Ward and causing chaotic and unplanned overreactions from the local authorities would almost certainly put Thomas in the shit list of one of Cauldron's more important assets(which Coil is in debt with) who can be deliberately homicidal when the situation gets messy.

So if Lisa is working for Coil then she is in Boston with the knowledge and authorization of Accord, if not then she is there on her own and doing her best not to show in Accord's radar.

15. KingCrimson1081

The most likely theory in my opinion is that she is currently on loan to Accord from Coil do to him being curious about the new thinker blind spot running around at night in Boston, or Lisa is there looking to recruit Taylor against either Accord or Coil due to said thinker immunity.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  16. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Alternatively, she might have been recruited by Accord to start with, or be working for Blasto with part of her pay being in Tinkertech painkillers. (I don't think either one is likely in this story, but AFAIK both are possible, and I think either scenario could be interesting.)

17. KingCrimson1081

Lisa working for Blasto is an interesting scenario because that brings up the question on why Blasto is interested in a the new unruly ward in Boston, did he figure out that she is immune to thinker abilities and now wants to clone her in preparation for some offensive against Accord or for some other unknown reason. It is also possible that Lisa was never forced to work with Coil in this timeline and is an independent villian in Boston who is looking to move up in the world and needs a right hand woman and who better than someone who can no sell enemy thinker abilities.

BF110C4 and Prince Charon like this.
  18. Brian1973

Brian1973 Getting out there.

Lisa working for Blasto could actually be a fresh take.

But overall I hope most of the scenarios others pointed at will not be used. For one those are overused. Why not go with the sane notion that they leave the kid hero program generally alone just to never get heat for very tiny chances of payoff (and going after minor would be entierly the wrong kind of heat for both as well). I'm also not so sure about her anti thinker power being instantly on Coil's or Accord's radar. Even the PRT only noticed after her teammates used their powers directly on her. So her power is not some global or large scale effect. In my opinion if the largest thinker organisation in the country needed to be told to look into it then Coil and Accord did not notice indipendently either.

My personal best case scenario is that Lisa was there for something unrelated and kind of got lucky to meet Taylor and get something extra from that. As said I hope the story will just skip Coil. And should Taylor get attention from major villians in Boston she should do something to warrant it and not just by exsisting. I don't say that some parahumans wouldn't warrant attention by just exsisting, but it is the more boring setup. It is also kind of problematic to implement without changes how the world in general is set up. Such actions mean more direct conflict with the PRT. It automatically begs the question why those villians don't go after other strong heroes and Wards all the time. One could write a world where they do but security measures by the PRT for the Wards would look quite different in such an AU. The worst case in my eyes that still can go along with the presented status quo is that villians do gather certain intel but never really act on it. But then the risk for gathering is kind of wasted, isn't it?

So why not a scenario where Lisa took the tour since that gave her accsess to the building and meeting the Wards was just part of what she had to do to get that accsess. Maybe she always planed to get some small intel (tidbits about powers, social interactions) but she wasn't explicitly there for Taylor in this scenario. In my opinion more interesting than a Coil/Accord already know about Taylor, have accsess to the PRT assessment and then send Lisa on the tour specifically to meet Taylor. A tour one has to assume was sheduled with tickets sold and vetted well in advandce while Taylor was as the story described a late ad hock addition.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    KingCrimson1081 likes this.
  19. KingCrimson1081

Most of the theories regarding Lisa being there for Taylor specifically comes from the fact that Lisa was smug after seeing Taylor meaning she got some usefull information out of her but the idea of her being there for something unrelated and Taylor being a bonus also works. In all honestly she was probably there to get info on the more active wards or to give herself a rundown on the Protectorate security measures regarding the wards for sone future event in later chapters. All in all, there are plenty of reasons for Lisa to be snooping around and we will just have to wait and see.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
  20. KingCrimson1081

Considering the debates about Taylor's power and its uses so far what would her PRT threat level be if she ever goes through power testing or what will they have her down as based on just their observations of her so far. Curently I would say she would have a decent rating in breaker, thinker, and trump categories but not sure the exact ratings for each. It could also be argued that she has ratings in mover (avoiding obstacles on her path via phasing), striker (can turn objects she is touching intangible with her), and potentially shaker depending on far she can spread her intangibility to the environment through touch which can give her some level of environmental control.

21. KingCrimson1081

Did the Bastion incident happen in this stroy because I recall that their was a Protectorate member in Boston who got caught saying a racial slur on camera and got sent to a containment zone as a punishment or am I miss remembering something.

Prince Charon and BF110C4 like this.
  22. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I thought Bastion was out west and not in Boston at the time, but I may be remembering wrong (or mixing up fanon and canon).

23. DresdenWinchester

DresdenWinchester Not too sore, are you?

IIRC Bastion was retconed into always having been head of the Boston Protectorate instead of Seattle’s while Worm was still being written.

24. KingCrimson1081

Guessing due to the fact that the head of the Boston Protectorate in this fic is not Bastion he has either been retconned or has already had his incident and has been moved away.

Honestly Bastion having his slip up before Taylor got transferred to Boston is probably a good thing for the PRT/Protectorate in this fic because if Bastion was in charge when she got in and then had his incident it would have become significantly harder to get her to cooperate due to it cementing her opinion on Protectorate heroes.

25. KingCrimson1081

Question, how would a yandere Emma scenario play out in this story?

BF110C4 likes this.
  26. BF110C4

Is two steps removed from the canon of Just a Phase and its canon for Worm, so yeah it would work just fine.

The only serious issue is that there’s an hour in a highway between Taylor and Emma and everyone is aware enough of the disaster that is allowing Emma anywhere close to Taylor so the moment she tries to slip her probation they will issue a bolo, put the PRT/Protectorate of both cities in alert and move Taylor to anywhere else, even to a lawyer’s office until they catch her.

27. Rymu

Rymu Connoisseur.

A proper yandere Emma would have had this AU not happen at all as she'd attempt to oust Sophia the moment she tried to get Emma to push Taylor away any if she didn't try to get the breaker to change her mind by whatever means if she was in control enough to want to try to retain a friend whilst in love with her bestie/sister.

28. KingCrimson1081

I was thinking more along the lines of Emma making the jump to yandere after the failed introduction of Taylor to the Brockton Bay wards, such as instead of realizing her mistake of what she did she starts blaming the Protectorate/PRT for taking Taylor away from her essentially having the opposite kind of realization than she did in the story.

29. Rymu

Rymu Connoisseur.

I get that. I just think that it really changes too much for the story and is a waste of the use of the archetype.

apeljohn and KingCrimson1081 like this.
  30. Extras: Omake: Nebulous Acts
    KingCrimson1081

Nebulous Acts

The hero known as Nebula was not having a good day, it had started off like any other day he got up went to work then went out on patrol like he did every other day baring special circumstances. That all ended when he was called in due to a reported robbery being committed by suspected parahumans, which turned out to be the duo Snap and Split doing their usual smash and grab job. However, when he managed to arrive on the scene he found both the perpetrators unconscious along side Boston's newest 'independent' hero Ghost. Honestly he didn't know what was going through both the Director's and Gauss's heads when he heard the reports on the new vigilante, couldn't they see their hands of policy was only going to encourage the girl rebel further. What the girl needed in his honest opinion was a firm hand to guide her in the right direction before she screws up and hurts herself further or god forbid someone else.

That exact train of thought was why he was currently spending his off hours going through the Wards and Youth Guard rules and regulation for something he could use to pull Boston's most uncooperative ward out of her shell. Which is currently proving harder than he originally though because for as uncooperative as Phase maybe she clearly studied her manual better than most wards in the past had. Truly it is amazing just how much of a ward's duties are directly tied to them going through power testing before hand, at least now he understood why upper management brought up the issue during every meeting for the past month. Beyond a few low grade PR activities, such as getting her an official PHO account everything that could be assigned to a ward required them to be at least slightly onboard with the program which Phase was certainly not.

Deciding to finish one last page of Phase's contract before quitting and resuming later he seemingly by chance came across a statement regarding a rarely used program that might just be the key to solving his problems with the new ward.

It had taken a few days to arrange the meeting after finding out about the program during which Nebula had done further research into what he was planning to do in order to ensure their was no way Phase or the Youth Guard could avoid what was about to happen.

"Ah Nebula good to see you here on time," came the voice of Agent Watkins as she moved to sit down across from Nebula at the table.

Agent Watkins was not an attractive woman by any use of the word nor was she an ugly one if there was a word to describe her appearance it would be simply plain or forgettable if one was feeling rather harsh. The same could be said about her official records no blackmarks to speak of but also no real compliments either, she didn't make any waves in the office and did her job adequately when out in the field was the summation of her career with the PRT from what Nebula had been able to gather about the woman. Which in all honesty was probably the main reason why she is assigned to be the in house guardian for Phase during her stay here in Boston.

"Good to see you too," Nebula responded to the agent. "Have you had a chance to go over the notes I sent you regarding Phase."

"I have and I have to say that your idea is rather unorthodox usually the program you are referring to is used mostly for wards who are on probation or have other issues that would making interacting with their own teammates difficult to the extreme, and while Taylor maybe antisocial she hasn't shown signs of it getting to that point," the agent stated.

"I know but what we have been currently doing hasn't shown any signs of working and she is only drawing herself further away from everyone who is trying to help her," Nebula argued back.

The agent sighed before saying, "It hasn't been any easier on my end either. So far I have only met the girl once, and I've had no further contact with her since. I tried to talk to Weld about getting her to socialize more with the other wards when he came by to see me about her but he didn't think that would be possible."

"That is why this is so important to give her the push through the door that she needs in order to fully integrate with the rest of the team," Nebula informed the agent.

"Still I have to consider that this goes against the Director's orders regarding what to do about Taylor he still thinks that she will open up on her own if we give her enough time to adjust," came the reply from Watkins.

"We have given her over a month and she has only gotten worse and if things continue the way they are she is likely to pull a runner soon and no one wants that to happen especially with Accord and the Teeth operating in the city," Nebula stated firmly.

"Fine you have made your point now what do you need me to do," Agent Watkins replied to the hero.

Nebula smiled before reaching back to retrieve some documents, "just need you sign here as her legal guardian and we should be all set."

Passing the paper along to the agent who quickly signed on the dotted line before passing the paper back to Nebula who quickly filed them away.

"Thank you for your time hopefully this will work and we can finally start making that girl into the hero she could be," Nebula smiled as he finished up with the PRT operative.

Their business concluded with each other both individuals leave the room to resume their other duties for the day not before making sure the paper work involved was properly filed with the rest of the staff involved in the daily ward's operations.

It was early in the morning when Taylor heard the knocking on her door, getting up when it became clear that who ever was trying to get her attention wasn't going away Taylor open the door to be greeted by the smiling face of Nebula.

"Hello Phase starting today I am now your official mentor for the duration of your time in the wards," Nebula stated with a cheery tone.

Staring up at the man Taylor said the first thing that came to mind "WHAT!?"

Note: Just an omake for events based on the last chapter as for what Nebula did he used a lesser known wards program that only needed the approval of a legal guardian to be implemented rather than needing to go through power test like the other ward's activities/duties. As for what Taylor would be doing with Nebula it would mostly just be following him around while he is on base and listening to him talk, and while he can't force her into combat he can force her to socialize with the rest of the people in the building.

Last edited: May 2, 2022