• A notice about Rule 3 regarding sites hosting pirated/unauthorized content has been made. Please see here for details.
  • Staff is working to deal with the problem of synonymous tags. See here for more information and to suggest tag mergers.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.

My brothers Keeper, an SI as the twin brother of Stalin (Reworked)

Redemption or replacement? New
Excerpt from the Wikipedia page of Axis of evil

The phrase "Axis of Evil" is a political term coined by U.S. President Ronald Reagan to describe the three principal member states of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO), the Soviet Union, the People's Republic of China, and the People's Soviet Republic of Korea, which the Reagan administration defined as the primary strategic and ideological adversaries of the United States and the London Pact.

Reagan first employed the phrase in his State of the Union address on January 19, 1978, delivered before a joint session of Congress. The speech came fewer than six months after the conclusion of the Shaba I Crisis (February–June 1977), in which Soviet-backed forces from the Republic of the Congo launched an incursion into the Shaba Province of Mobutu Sese Seko's Zaire. The intervention was repelled following a coordinated military response by the United States, France, Morocco, and Belgium.

The address framed Shaba as a decisive victory against Soviet expansionism in Africa, while arguing that the West had for too long conceded ground to the CSTO bloc. Reagan cited a cascade of strategic setbacks in the last 10 years as evidence that détente was dead: the Great Middle Eastern Crisis and subsequent second oil shock, the loss of Southeast Asia, the Ogaden War, and the Soviet Union's sustained economic warfare campaign against the United States and its allies via its Victory by Endurance campaign and its constant proxy wars. Taken together, he argued, these reversals demonstrated that accommodation and peaceful coexistence had only emboldened Soviet aggression.

The speech is widely regarded as marking the formal birth of the rollback doctrine, committing the United States to active intervention against communist movements and governments worldwide at a scale and intensity without precedent in the postwar era.

Excerpt from the Wikipedia page of The London Pact

The London Pact, formally the Treaty of Mutual Defense and Cooperation (TMDC), is a collective defense alliance established by treaty on October 9, 1946, in London, United Kingdom, two years after the conclusion of the Second World War. The term "London Pact" commonly refers to both the treaty itself and its resultant military alliance, the London Pact Organization (LPO; also known as the London Treaty Organization, LTO). The organization serves as a system of collective security and deterrence, whereby its independent members agree to defend each-other from attack by any outside party. This is enshrined in Article 5 of the treaty, which states that an armed attack against the territory of one member shall be considered an attack against them all.

The Pact was founded by fifteen nations: the United States, the United Kingdom, Iceland, Canada, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and the Philippines. The inclusion of Japan and the Philippines alongside the Western European founding members reflected the alliance's explicitly global orientation from its inception, a clear response to the CSTO's own reach from the Rhine to the Pacific

September 1, 1923
The Kremlin
Moscow, USSR


Elsa bent over the toilet, heaving until there was nothing left to bring up, then she took a slow careful breath. The nausea kept rolling through her in waves, receding only to surge back moments later. She stayed like that for a while, waiting it out, until it finally began to fully ebb. She pushed herself up, went to the sink, rinsed the taste of bile from her mouth, and washed her hands with soap, she was methodical about it, buying herself time so she could think. She looked down at her own hands for a moment, then let them drift to her stomach, resting there. A small sob escaped her before she could stop it.

She hadn't thought much of it when her cycle failed to come last month, it had been unreliable for years now, ever since she'd first come to serve in Russia. The country hadn't exactly offered ideal conditions, and even now, with the war and famine finally behind them things were only just beginning to settle.

But this week it should have come again, and instead she was on her knees in front of a toilet, exhausted in a way that sleep didn't relieve, her whole body felt wrong, as if something was missing. The vomiting had started nearly a week ago. At first she'd assumed it was something she'd eaten, or the early stirrings of the flu with the season turning. There was no mistaking it now for either of those things.

She left the bathroom and made her way toward their quarters. It was late Saturday afternoon, Mika usually kept half-days on Saturdays, so he should have been back by now. A soldier stood at attention outside their door and saluted as she approached, a formality she'd never quite grown used to, though there was no room in her right now to care about that. He opened the door for her, and her heart sank when she stepped through to find the room empty.

She turned back to the soldier. "Where is Mika?"

He straightened further, if that were possible. "He is in a meeting with Comrade Stalin. He asked that the meeting not be disturbed. He should be back by evening."

"Can you get a message to him? I need to speak with him. It's urgent."

"I'll try," he said, though his tone carried little confidence. "He made clear it was an important meeting with Comrade Stalin. I'll see what can be done."

"Thank you." She paused. "It's Anatoly, isn't it?"

"Yes, Comrade Brandström."

"Thank you, Anatoly. Tell him I'll be waiting."

He shut the door gently behind her, and she was alone. She sat at the edge of the bed, eyes drifting to the nightstand, a lamp, and a handful of framed photographs. One of Mika alone. One of the two of them with Mika's children. One of Mika with Maria.

She'd only met Maria a handful of times, early in the Civil War, on the occasions she'd gone to Smolny to have Mika petition the government on her behalf, fighting to keep red cross operations running while the war tore the country apart. Mika would sometimes have Maria with him during those visits, and she and Maria would exchange a few words, they were mostly courtesies, introductions, nothing deep. Elsa's Russian had never been strong; and Maria spoke to Mika almost entirely in Georgian. But she'd heard enough in the tone between the two of them to know they'd loved each other completely, whatever disagreements Mika later admitted they'd had.

She lay back on the bed, staring up at the ceiling, one hand still resting over her stomach. It was a strange little habit of Mika's, this staring into nothing. It helps me think, he'd told her once, weeks ago at Lenin's dacha, the two of them stretched out on the grass after lunch. Running the security services, let alone helping run a country is exhausting work. I need somewhere empty to put my mind or I'd go insane.

She'd doubted it at the time. But lying there now, doing the same thing herself, she felt something in her chest loosen, just slightly. She kept staring, and little by little her eyes grew heavy, until she drifted off entirely, no dreams, nothing she could later recall, only the sensation of floating, weightless, somewhere far from the room.

Then something brushed her cheek, and a voice, low and close. "Elsa... Elsa... Elsa."

She opened her eyes. Mika was leaning over her, one hand still resting gently against her face.

"Mika." Her voice came out thick with sleep.

"Elsa." He straightened slightly, studying her. "Anatoly said you needed to speak with me. That it was urgent. What happened?"

She pushed herself upright, meeting his eyes, and pressed her hand flat against her stomach. "I'm pregnant Mika."

He went still. His face gave away nothing at all, no shock, no smile, nothing she could read, and for a long moment he simply breathed steadily without interruption, only watching her. Then, slowly, he nodded. "I see." His voice was calm, careful. "What do you want to do about our baby?"

"Our?"

"Well duh." A faint laugh crept into his voice, as if the question itself slightly offended him. "The child is obviously mine." He continued, gentler now. "What do you want to do? Keep the baby, or not?"

"What do you want?"

"Whatever you want." He took her hand in his. "I'm not against it, if that's what you're asking. If you want to keep the baby, that's more than fine, I'll claim him or her as mine without hesitation. I'll marry you tomorrow too if that's what you'd like. And if you'd rather not go through with it, that's fine too. I won't think less of you either way." He paused, and something firmer entered his voice. "The one thing I won't accept is abandonment. If you have the child and want no part of raising them, that's your right, but I will raise them myself. I have more than enough money and standing to see they have a good life. You as well, if you'll let me."

"You'd really marry me if it came to that?"

"Yes." He leaned in and wrapped his arms around her, holding her close. "I love you Elsa. Whatever makes you happy, that's what I'll do. All of it, without question or hesitation. I would have done the same for Maria. And I won't fail this time." He stopped for a moment, closing his eyes and breathing deeply. "This time I'll make sure to protect you. I won't fail you like I failed Maria." He sobbed a little. "I love you Elsa."

She said nothing at first, only held him tighter, burying her face against him. "I love you too, Mika."

September 1, 1923
The Kremlin
Moscow, USSR


Stalin sat at the head of the family table, as he always did, working through dinner with a slow, deliberate patience he had cultivated over the years. Part of him despised these evenings even now, he felt he was wasting time, time that could be spent on Party administration, on the endless grinding work of extracting every last useful detail from Mika's journal. Instead this time was wasted instead on soup and small talk. Mika. Even now, months into knowing the truth, the name still caught somewhere in his throat before he could say it naturally. He was different. The journal had made that clear enough, and he'd confirmed it himself, watched the proof of it with his own eyes. And still some stubborn part of him resisted believing it, even as the rest of him had no other explanation left standing. After all, how could he explain the way his brother carried himself, the way he looked at the world compared to everyone else around him.

He speared a piece of pork with his fork, brought it to his mouth, chewing slowly. He would allow himself this much, the knowledge Mika had was useful. If even half of what he claimed turned out to be true, he let a small, private smile cross his face at the thought, half of Europe, laid out before him like a map with the borders already drawn. The war Mika had described, the plan already taking shape. The world within his grasp. All he needed now was for Lenin to die, and for Trotsky to be swept away, and it would all be his.

His eyes drifted to Kato as she fussed over her plate while Yakov seated beside her. They sat close enough that their shoulders nearly touched. Something in him still recoiled faintly at the sight of the two of them together. But he understood the calculation behind it well enough by now, Mika was handing him his own daughter as a hostage, tying himself to him in a way that couldn't be undone. It was a leash, one he had willingly made and handed to him. He watched Mika eat from a plate that bore no resemblance to the borscht in front of everyone else, two slices of bread, a piece of chicken between them, breaded, fried, dusted with some foreign blend of spice. Mika claimed he'd discovered it in Cuba and fell in love with it. Stalin knew better. Another scrap pulled forward from that other life of his. He'd had the kitchen prepare him a taste of it earlier that afternoon, during their meeting, he found it over-seasoned, too sharp on the tongue, and yet there Mika sat, working through his portion with obvious, uncomplicated pleasure.

Stalin said little, letting the rest of the table carry the conversation, watching Mika joke with the children, with Nadezhda, with their mother, with Elsa, with the servers drifting in and out with fresh plates. One of them, a young woman, reached to collect his own plate, and he looked up at her.

"I'd like another." His voice came out flatter than he'd intended.

She froze mid-motion, plate half-lifted, something like fear flickering behind her eyes before she caught herself. "Yes, Comrade Stalin."

"What is your name?"

"Tatiana." The word came out rushed, and she pulled the plate free and turned to go almost before he'd finished thanking her.

"Yes... thank you, Tatiana."

She was gone. He kept his eyes on his own hands for a moment, then glanced sideways. Mika was still talking, still easy and unbothered, hadn't so much as looked over. Stalin felt the exchange settle into his chest like a stone. He should not have spoken to her that way. It had come out wrong, stiff, almost pleading, and he replayed it once, twice, feeling something curdle low in his stomach each time. His jaw tightened. Beneath the table, his fist closed slowly around nothing.

A hand settled over his. Nadezhda, beside him. "Is everything all right, Soso?"

"It's fine." Sharper than he meant it, and he watched her flinch, very slightly, before she withdrew her hand and returned her attention to her plate without another word.

Dinner went on. He kept watching Mika, unable quite to stop himself. Something about him tonight sat differently than usual, looser somehow. One of the guards had interrupted their meeting that afternoon, murmuring something about Elsa needing to speak with him, and Mika had ended the session early without a flicker of irritation, which was, in itself, unlike him. Now, at the table, whenever his eyes found Elsa, something in his face changed. Softened. Stalin filed the observation away without quite naming what it cost him to notice it.

As the meal wound down, Mika rose, lifting his glass and tapping it once with his fork until the table quieted. "Everyone." He was smiling, that same easy, unguarded smile he wore so freely and so often. He turned first to the children. "You're going to have another sibling." A pause, just long enough to let it land. "Elsa's pregnant."

Stalin's fork came to rest against his plate, deliberate, silent.

Pregnant. The Swede was pregnant.

Which meant she would not be leaving. Not now, not soon, not ever, another permanent fixture lodged inside his own household, in his brother's life. His hands folded together beneath the table, knuckles whitening slowly against each other, and for one unguarded second his eyes cut toward her, sharp and cold. The Swede was here to stay. I should have killed her after Kronstadt.
 
Last edited:
Family matters New
Excerpt from the Wikipedia page on Richard Sorge

Richard Sorge (alias: Siegfried Kircheis) (Russian: Рихард Густавович Зорге, romanized: Rikhard Gustavovich Zorge; 4 October 1895 – 7 September 1988) was a high-ranking SS and police official in Nazi Germany, and a Soviet military intelligence officer. His codename was "Lockpick" (отмычка).

Sorge is best known for his service in Germany between 1924 and 1944, during which he was one of the founding members of the SS before rising to become head of the Gestapo in 1934, a position he held until the end of the Second World War in 1944. He was subsequently responsible for assisting in both the roundups and mass executions of former SS, Gestapo, and high-ranking Nazi Party members during the Great Terror, as well as the roundup and forced recruitment of Nazi scientists, technicians, and experts, and the seizure of various prototypes, during Operation Thesis.

For these achievements, he was twice granted the title Hero of the Soviet Union and twice Hero of Socialist Labour, and was awarded the Order of Victory, the Order of Lenin, the Order of the Red Banner, and a Marshal's Star, along with an honorary promotion to Marshal of the Soviet Union.

September 1, 1923
The Kremlin
Moscow, USSR


Yakov sat on the living room couch alongside Kato, Iosif, Aleksander, Besarion, and Aleksandra. Papa stood in front of them, Elsa beside him. Dinner had gone quiet the moment Papa announced Elsa was pregnant. Now that it was over, he'd asked them all to come to the living room so they could talk properly. He knelt down in front of them, bringing himself to eye level.

Yakov felt Kato's hand tighten around his. He glanced at her, she looked angry, she had looked angry ever since the announcement. Part of him understood why. Mama had raised her, and ever since she died it was as if something inside her had died as well, not just that, Papa had changed. He had gotten colder. More distant. But the Swede seemed to bring something back out in him, something Yakov barely remembered from before Mama passed.

"I know the announcement was sudden," Papa said, looking around at each of them. "But this doesn't change how I feel about any of you. Or about your mother. I loved Maria. I loved her with everything I had. Even now, if I could trade places with her, I would, gladly." He rose to his feet. "But I also love Elsa. And soon, she'll likely be joining this family."

He paused, glancing at Elsa, then back at the children. "I don't expect you to accept her right away. If some of you never do, I won't be surprised. But at the very least, I expect you to treat her and your future brother or sister with respect. I won't ask you to call her Mama. I have too much respect for Maria for that. But I expect courtesy. Miss Elsa. Lady Elsa. Comrade Elsa. Something."

He knelt again and went to each of them in turn, hugging them one by one. Most sat still and let it happen. But when he reached Kato, she shoved him away, stood, and walked off, already sobbing.

"Kato…." Papa started after her, Elsa close behind. Yakov turned to the others, and something in the way Papa glanced back told them to follow. They got up and trailed after, Iosif falling in step beside him.

"She looks angry," Iosif said quietly.

"I know," Yakov said, and kept walking.

They rounded the corner just as a door slammed shut ahead of them. Papa and Elsa were already standing outside it, knocking. "Kato," Papa said. "Open up. Please."

Yakov reached the door alongside him. Through it, muffled, came the sound of crying.

Papa turned to him. "Yakov, get some guards. We may have to break the door down."

Yakov turned to the others. "Stay here." Then he ran, rounding the corner until he found one of the guards posted down the hall. "Comrade Jugashvili needs you, he wants a few more men."

"Yes, Comrade Stalin." The guard hurried off.

Stalin. The name still felt strange, even now. He'd grown up as a Jugashvili, the name that had belonged to his father and to Papa since birth. It was only recently that Papa had convinced him to take the new name instead.

"You're his son, Yakov," Papa had told him a few weeks back, after handing him his new identification papers and Komsomol card. "It's only natural you take his name. But no matter what happens, you're still the son I raised."

As he made his way back to the room, half a dozen guards jogged past him, heading the same direction. By the time he caught up, they already had their rifles out, using the butts to hammer at the door. Papa just stood back and watched as they broke it open, it took maybe thirty seconds. Once it gave way, he turned to the guards. "Stay outside. I'll handle it."

He stepped through the doorway, Lady Elsa close behind him. Yakov followed, and so did Iosif and the others.

Inside, they found Kato curled up under the bed, blankets wrapped tightly around her, sobbing.

"Kato..." Papa started, moving toward her.

"Get out!" she screamed.

"No," he said quietly.

"Leave!" She screamed it again, but he kept walking, kneeling down and pulling the blankets away. Kato lashed out, scratching and hitting at him, but he just wrapped his arms around her and held on, absorbing it all, the clawing, the screaming, and the sobbing without letting go. She kept fighting him for what felt like minutes, until slowly, gradually, the scratching and hitting began to fade, dissolving into pure sobbing.

Papa held her through all of it, humming low and rocking her gently as she finally broke down completely.

"Mama..." she said between sobs. "I want Mama. I miss Mama."

"I know," Papa said, and Yakov could hear that his voice had gone thick too. "I know..." He held her tighter. "This doesn't mean I'm going to forget her. I never will. You don't have to accept Elsa. I'm not asking that. Just respect her. That's all I want from you."

Kato kept crying, her face buried in his chest.

Footsteps sounded behind them. Yakov turned to see his father stepping into the room, his expression already souring. "What is the meaning of this?"

"Just some family matters," Papa said, still cradling Kato against him. He glanced up at his father, and Yakov caught the look that passed over the older man's face, somewhere between annoyance and disgust.

"Family matters." He looked around the room, at the splintered door hanging off its hinges. "That's putting it lightly."

"Is there something you need, brother?"

"Come find me in my office. Once you're done with... this."

"Understood. I'll be there shortly."

His father only nodded, turned, and walked out, leaving them alone in the wreckage of the room.

September 1, 1923
The Kremlin
Moscow, USSR


I sat in Joe's office, nursing a bottle of Georgian wine I'd smuggled in from around Sochi. God, I needed it. It had been one hell of a day, and my face still ached from Kato's little tantrum. Part of me was annoyed, genuinely irritated at the sheer disrespect, the insubordination. But she was my daughter, and she was hurting, and hopefully that would burn itself out and she'd calm down eventually. Thankfully tomorrow was Sunday. I had plans, a little family outing to Zubalovo after mass, maybe a swim in the pool. Some quality time, God knows we all needed it.

"What was all that?" Joe asked, cutting through my thoughts.

"Kato was upset about my little announcement. Don't worry about it, I calmed her down."

"She caused a scene," he pressed. "You had guards break down a door."

"I did." I nodded. "But it's fine now."

"You're far too soft on your children. You're spoiling them."

"There's a difference between being emotionally present for your family and neglecting them entirely, then dressing it up as some noble sacrifice against bourgeois sentimentality." I looked at him. "And it's not just you, Joe. It's the whole Party. Riddled with this exact problem. No wonder this country fell apart before the century was even out."

That landed. He scowled. "You may hold the future in your hands, Mika, but your overconfidence is going to be your undoing."

"And your lack of self-awareness will be yours." I shrugged. "But-" I raised a finger before he could snap back, "-we know our strengths, we know our weaknesses. That's what makes us such a good pair. We cover for each other."

"We're not here to talk about that." He waved it off. "Where do things stand with your so-called criminal federation? Is everything set for the Stockholm meeting?"

"It is." I leaned back. "We've arranged passports for all the heads of the major crime families. I've got the Fourth Directorate running background on every last one of them."

"Why the Fourth?"

"Opposition research."

"Opposition research," he repeated, like the words tasted strange in his mouth.

"These are criminals, Joe." I tapped a finger against the desk for emphasis. "Doesn't matter how much money you dangle in front of them, some of these idiots, especially the Italians and Sicilians are still clinging to nonsense. Tradition. Codes of honor. All of it just a coping mechanism for being the dregs of society and knowing it." I smiled. "So it's simple. I walk in, lay out the terms of the federation. Whoever accepts, I bring into the fold. Whoever doesn't, gets one warning. Don't touch the operation. Touch it, and there are consequences—consequences I'll happily illustrate with the dossiers sitting on my desk right now. Daily habits. Friends. Families. Routines, down to the minute. Step out of line, and we don't just wipe out the man responsible. We wipe out his wife, his children, his fucking servants, his dogs. When you're burning a weed, you don't just cut the top off. You dig out the root and burn the stem too."

He studied me, his face giving away exactly nothing. "Will this come back on us?"

"Doubt it." I shrugged. "Worst case, I acted without your blessing and you throw me out. That's the extent of your exposure." I stretched out my arms, well, my arm and stump. "Will that be all?"

"I'll trust you to see it handled."

"And I appreciate the trust, truly." I stood, looking down at him. "Tomorrow I'm taking the family to Zubalovo after church. You should come. Bring Nadezhda, bring Vasily. Yakov and Mama will be there too."

"I'm busy. I have too much work."

"You know delegation exists, right? It's one day, Joe. You won't keel over from taking a single day off. Have your secretary send some paperwork along if you absolutely must, but relax for once. We're having a picnic, not a Politburo meeting."

"Mika-"

"Joe." I cut him off. "Come on. Relax. Not everything has to be a struggle for power. You're going to run yourself into the ground and lose whatever's left of your mind if you don't stop and breathe every once in a while."

"No."

"You really think Kato wouldn't want you there? I guarantee you if she was still alive she would come to Zubalovo with the rest of us and spend the whole day sulking that you didn't bother showing up."

"Fuck you."

I laughed. "I'll take that as a yes. See you at the Kremlin gate after mass. We're going to have a good time whether you like it or not."

September 2, 1923
Zubalovo Estate,
Kalchuga, Moscow region , USSR


"Check." Aleksander slid his queen directly beside his own king, sacrificing it outright. For a moment, Stalin felt genuine surprise. He'd known his nephew had a fondness for chess, but he hadn't expected the boy to actually give him trouble. He exhaled, irritated, and moved his king to take the queen. Fortunate, the boy had simply forgotten to defend it. A child's mistake. Nothing more.

The game dragged on another fifteen minutes. He wore Aleksander down steadily, trading pieces in his favor. By the endgame, Aleksander had only his king, a rook, and two pawns left on the board. Stalin still held his king, two knights, and a bishop.

It was his move. He maneuvered a knight to intercept the pawns, they were creeping dangerously close to the far rank, and if either one crossed, it could cost him the game. Aleksander seemed to sense it too, pushing the pawns forward with sudden urgency. Stalin managed to eliminate one. The second slipped through. Aleksander swapped it for a queen. "Promotion," he announced, in Georgian.

The next ten minutes turned into a brawl. His knight fell. He answered by taking Aleksander's rook, losing his bishop in the exchange. Then his last knight went too. He tried to maneuver for at least a draw, but there was nothing left to work with. Checkmate, his king cornered with nowhere left to run. A flicker of embarrassment stirred in him. The boy was eleven. Eleven, and he had outplayed him like this.

"Who taught you to play like that?"

"Yakov did," Aleksander said. "He's in the chess club at school. We play most nights."

Yakov. He hadn't known his son played chess. But then, he realized, there was very little about Yakov he did know. His son by blood yes, by name as well, yet when he actually searched his memory, he couldn't recall the last real conversation they'd had aside from asking how school was going during dinner. He glanced out toward the garden, where Yakov and Iosif were kicking a soccer ball back and forth, and turned back to Aleksander.

"How long have the two of you been playing?"

"About a year. I've only beaten him a handful of times."

"A handful of times," he repeated quietly, eyes drifting back to Yakov. "Go call him over. I want to see what he can do."

"Of course comrade….sorry. Of course Uncle Joe."

Aleksander scrambled off toward the boys. Joe. He hated that nickname, found it grating, undignified. And yet he couldn't bring himself to be angry at the boy for using it. Aleksander was a good child. He leaned back in his chair, and for just a moment, unbidden, he thought of Kato, how she'd smiled the day Yakov was born, how she'd held him against her chest like he was the only thing in the world. He closed his eyes and shut the thought down immediately. The past. Meaningless now.

He reset the board, arranging each piece with care, and by the time he finished, Yakov was approaching with Iosif and Aleksander trailing behind.

"Is everything all right Father?" The boy's voice was stiff. Guarded.

Father. Not Papa. Another thing Mika had taken from him, whether he'd meant to or not. "Sit," he said, gesturing to the chair Aleksander had just vacated. "Aleksander tells me you taught him chess. I want to see what you're made of."

"All right." The tension in Yakov's shoulders eased slightly as he sat and studied the board. "White or black?"

"White. You'll play black. Show me what you can do at a disadvantage."

"Fine."

Stalin opened, sliding his pawn to E4, the Sicilian defense, a classic approach. The game progressed, and he was careful, methodical, protecting every piece the moment he advanced it, making certain nothing could be taken from him without cost. Twenty minutes in, he was well ahead, both knights gone from Yakov's side, a rook, a bishop, half his pawns. He'd lost only a rook, a bishop, three pawns, and a single knight in return.

He reached for another of Yakov's pawns. And that was when he saw it, the smile.

"Are you sure, Papa?"

Papa. The boy had called him Papa. Something in his chest loosened, just slightly, just for a second, he let himself feel it. But that smile lingered, and instinct sharpened underneath it. The boy was planning something. He forced the warmth back down. "What are you plotting?"

"This." Yakov slid his queen in a clean, uninterrupted line straight down the board. "Checkmate."

He stared at the board. His king was boxed in on every side, the only open square lying directly in the queen's path. He went over it again in his mind, retracing every move that had led here, searching for the error, refusing to believe it had happened this cleanly. Beaten. By his own son. Like this.

"Everything all right over here?" Mika's voice cut through his thoughts. "Steaks are almost ready. How does everyone want theirs?"

"Medium, please," Yakov said.

"Medium rare," said Aleksander.

"Almost burnt, Papa," Iosif said, grinning.

"Medium," Stalin said flatly.

"So what were you all up to?" Mika asked, looking between them.

"Father asked me to play him," Yakov said. "I won." There was a note of quiet pride in it.

"Is that right?" Mika raised an eyebrow, glancing at Stalin.

"A careless mistake," Stalin said. "It won't happen again."

"Well, you can all have a rematch after lunch. Food's ready, come on."

Yakov rose and headed toward the house, Iosif and Aleksander close behind. Stalin remained seated a moment longer, still turning the board over in his mind, replaying it move by move, until he felt a hand settle on his shoulder. Mika, grinning down at him. "Told you you'd have a good time. Come on Joe. Let's eat."

"Fine," he said, and stood.
 
Eve of the conference New
Excerpt from the Wikipedia page on The Chilean Civil War

The Chilean Civil War (Spanish: Guerra civil chilena) was fought in Chile from 1973 to 1977 between the socialist government of Salvador Allende and his Popular Unity coalition, supported by the Soviet Union and the CSTO, and the opposition-controlled National Congress of Chile, backed by a group of military officers led by General Augusto Pinochet and supported by the United States and the London Pact.

The war began following the partial failure of the September 1973 coup d'état against the Popular Unity government by a group of generals in the Chilean Armed Forces. The putschist faction consisted of right-wing groups, including the National Party, the Christian Democrats, the Radical Democrats, and various other minor factions. However, Allende, aided by Soviet GRU forces, Cuban special forces, his personal militia the GAP, the Movement of the Revolutionary Left, and loyalist elements of the Chilean Armed Forces led by Alberto Bachelet, managed to escape Santiago and establish a rival government in Araucanía, securing control of the southern half of the country.

November 10, 1923
The Kremlin
Moscow, USSR


I sat in Stalin's office, drinking from a bottle of Coca-Cola while he read through today's edition of Pravda, the copy I'd brought him myself. I set the bottle down and finally looked over at him. "See? Told you." I pointed at the paper. "Hitler's finally made his move, exactly like I said he would. And of course, his pustch already failed. He wont be relevant, for now at least."

He set the newspaper down and looked at me. "What's the next step then?"

"I've already asked the Comintern to send me a handful of their people out of Germany. Good war records, plenty of charisma, but the most important thing I asked for was that they be married."

"Married? What exactly are you scheming?"

"The Nazi Party's on its knees right now. But it won't stay down forever. I intend to seed it with our agents and help it rebuild from the inside out. Once it climbs back to power, our people will be scattered throughout the government, spread through it like weeds in a garden. Of course, none of them will know about each other. Each one builds their own network, feeds information up the chain to us. And ideally, once they're established, we'll have one man positioned high enough to head whatever their version of the GPU ends up being. No one will ever suspect it. Who'd believe someone who infiltrated that early was one of ours?"

"Where does the marriage requirement come into this?"

"Hostages, obviously. There's always a risk one of them turns, becomes a double agent. But if we're holding onto their wives, and ideally their children, then that guarantees their loyalty. Or at the very least guarantees they won't betray us."

"This is an enormous gamble."

"Normally yes, it would be." I leaned forward and tapped the journal on his desk. "But we have something no one else has. I'm fully confident."

He rolled his eyes and pulled the journal back toward himself. "How soon will these agents arrive?"

"Zinoviev says they'll be here within the next few weeks." I sighed. "I swear, dealing with that man is like pulling teeth. When exactly do we get to be rid of him?"

"Eventually," Stalin said. "For now we tolerate him."

"Fair enough." I nodded. "I'll look forward to having him at my mercy someday. Is that everything for today Joe?"

"No. What about the meeting in Sweden? Do you have a firm date?"

"December 14th, Stockholm, the Grand Hotel. I've rented out the entire top floor. Fake identities, passports, my men, weapons, its all in place. Not even the Swedish communists know what we're actually planning."

"Good. Keep it that way." He set the journal aside. "That'll be all. I'll see you at Zubalovo tomorrow."

"In that case," I said, standing, "I'll be at Dynamo."

"Dynamo? The sports club?"

"That's the one." I nodded. "They lost the fall football championship, and I want to see what state the club's actually in. Figured I'd whip them into shape with a little motivational speech—it is the GPU's team, after all."

"Why are you so obsessed with football?"

"It was always my favorite sport. Just because I'm a Chekist doesn't mean I can't have hobbies. Besides, it's Saturday—I'm taking Elsa and the kids to watch. You should come."

"No. I have work."

"Come on, you're already going to Zubalovo tomorrow. Live a little. It's Saturday afternoon."

"Mika, I have work."

"You do. And you also need to relax."

"No."

"Come on." I walked around the desk and put a hand on his shoulder. He looked up at me, unmoved. "No."

"Please, Joe."

"That's enough, Mika." He shot me a glare, the kind that told me exactly where this was going.

"Suit yourself." I lifted my hand off his shoulder. "Want me to have the chef send something up for dinner?"

"I'll manage."

"Sure thing. See you later, Joe." I turned and walked out, leaving him to his paperwork.

November 10, 1923
Dynamo Stadium
Moscow, USSR


Dynamo Stadium was a rather simple structure, tucked into a vacant lot along Orlovo-Davydovsky Lane, just past the Garden Ring, what used to mark the old city walls of Moscow. I watched the players shift nervously as they kicked the ball around. Understandable, really. They'd just gotten mauled in the fall championship of the Moscow soccer league. And given how their soccer club and the whole Dynamo sports society was essentially owned and sponsored by the Soviet equivalent of the Gestapo, I imagine every last one of them was scared shitless at my appearance, I would be too if I was in their shoes. But when I told them to practice, they practiced, running, dribbling, drilling, all while their coach/team captain stood next to me, looking equally terrified. I let him stew for now and just watched the team work.

"This is the main squad?" I turned to the team captain/coach, a Mr. Vasily Zhitarev.

"Yes, Comrade Jugashvili." He nodded, clearly petrified.

"So what exactly happened this season? I heard your team got mauled pretty badly."

He shifted his weight, eyes darting between me, my family, and the guards standing behind us. "Relax," I told him. "I'm not petty enough to execute you and your entire family over a bad season. You have my word."

That eased him slightly, though the nervousness lingered. "We... we had complications. Difficulties against the other clubs."

"Right, right." I nodded slowly. "Complications. Difficulties." I made sure every word dripped with sarcasm. "How hard is it to just say we played like shit and the other teams played better? Is that so fucking difficult? Because every single time I ask anyone what went wrong, not just here, but anywhere, after an interrogation, a failed operation, money or supplies going missing I get the same vague bullshit and then I really feel like shooting someone to show how upset I am." I sighed and shook my head and watched Zhitarev's eyes widen, poor bastard looked like a deer in headlights. God, I fucking hated Russia. Even now, people still tiptoed around the truth to save their own skin. Fuck Vranyo, and fuck its mother.

"It's just..." Vasily chose his words carefully. "You're you sir. If we upset you, or Comrade Dzerzhinsky, who knows what happens next."

"Just like I'm upset right now." I sighed, "Whatever." I shook my head. "Here's what's going to happen. No one will get executed or sent to a camp, you have my word, you and your team are spending the entire winter season training. Not this half-assed show you're putting on for me right now, real training. Strength, stamina, ball control, all of it. Outside of eating, sleeping, and time with your families, I expect total devotion to this sport." I glanced over at Yakov and Iosif. "Speaking of which, mind if my son and nephew get out there and practice with your players? They're big fans too."

"Of course, Comrade Jugashvili." He waved the boys over, and they took off toward the field.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned to find Elsa smiling at me.

"You seem awfully passionate about football," she said in English. "I never took you for the type."

"I've loved soccer since my seminary days."

"You really are full of surprises." She rested a hand lightly on her belly.

"I know." I smiled. "And this is just the beginning."

She laughed. "Ah, here we go. Your grand ambitions. What is it this time?"

"The Olympics," I said, casual as anything. "The Comintern still insists on calling it a 'bourgeois institution,' whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. But honestly? A far bigger victory would be sending a team and absolutely dominating."

Something tugged at my jacket. I looked down to find Kato pulling at the fabric.

"What is it?" I asked gently, switching to Georgian. She just wrapped both arms around my free arm and looked up at me, shooting a cold glance at Elsa. She'd calmed down since the tantrum, civil and respectful with Elsa now, but far from warm.

"What are you two talking about?" she asked, still in Georgian.

"Just grown-up business my little princess." I ruffled her hair.

Elsa took a step forward, as if she wanted to reach out to Kato, but I gave her a small shake of my head. She caught it immediately and stepped back. "Would you like to go play with Yakov and Iosif?" she asked Kato.

"No thank you."

"Would you like me to get you a book about airplanes tomorrow?"

That did it. Kato's whole face lit up, it always did, and she nodded eagerly. "I'll have one of my men bring you one," I said, ruffling her hair again. That seemed to satisfy her, and she pulled away slightly, content to watch Yakov and Iosif on the field. I turned back to Elsa. "As I was saying," I switched back to English, "my dream is to eventually get the USSR into the Olympics, and beyond that, host an international soccer tournament of our own. Thinking of calling it the World Cup. Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?"

"It's ambitious, I'll give you that."

"I've already had my men look into it. There's a small organization, FIFA, its run by the head of the French Football Federation, a Monsieur Jules Rimet. I'm thinking of reaching out eventually, having a conversation with him. Though obviously someone with my particular reputation can't exactly do that himself." I glanced at her, smiling.

"You want me to talk to him?"

"Eventually..." I shrugged. "For now, it's just a plan floating around in my head. Speaking of plans, I'll be in Stockholm next month for the meeting with the crime syndicates. You want to come along? You must miss home. You could catch up with old friends, family tio."

"I'm not sure I can." She rubbed her belly absently. "Word of us has already gotten out, I've been more or less cast out of polite society at this point. And if I showed up with someone, it would confirm you were in Stockholm at all. That would compromise the secrecy your whole meeting depends on." She looked briefly saddened by that, and for a moment, I felt an unwelcome flicker of guilt myself. After all, it wasn't exactly an accident that she was in this position, I'd talked her into staying, manipulated the situation more than I liked to admit.

"I'm sorry," I said. "Didn't think that through. You're right, of course."

"It's fine. Just don't get yourself killed out there."

"I'll do my best." I smiled at her. "How about we take a vacation to Sweden after this meeting is over, would you be ok with that?"

"That would sound nice." She smiled.

"Then its a date."
 
Last edited:
Silver or Lead New
Excerpt from the Wikipedia page on The Mangione Affair

The Mangione Affair is the name given to the events in the United States surrounding the murder of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson by Luigi Mangione in downtown Manhattan, followed by Mangione's subsequent flight and defection to the Soviet Embassy in Washington, D.C., where he sought and was granted asylum by Soviet Premier Vissarion Stalin.

-----

"No doubt the US is ahead of us in household and consumer goods, but the fact Bidets aren't mainstream in the your country shows you guys have a lot to learn from us in regards to sanitation. A Bidet is the sign of a civilized nation."

Mikheil Jugashvili speaking to Vice President Richard Nixon during the kitchen debate in 1959

-----

December 14, 1923
The Grand Hotel
Stockholm, Sweden


I stood by the window of the top-floor room, looking out over Stockholm. Not that this was the only room, of course, I'd rented out the entire floor for all the scum I was about to meet, along with the largest conference room the hotel had to offer. Officially, I didn't exist. Mikheil Jugashvili was back in Moscow, helping Dzerzhinsky run the Cheka. Here, I was Viktor Reznov, a Russian exile, a cossack, and a man about to sit down with the scum of American society.

The door opened. Patruchev entered first this time, Boris just behind him, and Rothstein trailing after both of them.

"It's been a while," I said, walking toward him, my tone considerably friendlier than the circumstances warranted. "Did you manage to get them all?"

Rothstein let out a sigh, not just any sigh, but the sigh of a man exhausted down to the bone. Mentally, physically, spiritually, all of it at once. "You don't want to know how many favors I called in to get this many people in one room. Trust me."

"Oh, I quite understand. You've been traveling a lot, from what my men tell me. Los Angeles two weeks ago, San Francisco before that, New Orleans, St. Louis, Miami, Chicago, Boston." I nodded approvingly. "You've been a busy man."

Rothstein just stared at me.

"Like I said." I continued, unbothered. "I'm not some small time criminal you're used to dealing with. I have the Soviet state standing behind me, and believe me, they're very invested in how this goes. My life and my reputation are on the line here just as much as yours, my friend, maybe more than your own."

"I prefer the word associate."

"How unfortunate." I shrugged. "I'd hoped we might at least build something resembling friendship, but so be it. Anyway, the others?"

"They'll be arriving shortly."

"Good. Wait for them in the conference room, I'll come down last. Keep them entertained, liquor, food, I even cleared out half of Stockholm's finest brothels for the occasion, though that's for later in the evening."

"You talk like you're the one running this."

"Well." I spread my good arm out. "I did rent out the entire hotel. Paid for the false papers, the travel, the food, the rooms, the women, every last detail here is running on my money and my organization. So tell me, am I not in charge?"

He gave me a look then, the kind that said you're far too clever for your own good. It reminded me of Joe, oddly enough. Rothstein didn't say much after that, leaving me alone with Boris and Patruchev.

"Are the guards in position?" I glanced at Patruchev.

"Yes, Comrade Jugashvili. They're in the conference room, orders given."

"Good. Patruchev, go join them, you'll be handling crowd control tonight." I turned to Boris. "You stay with me. My personal security's your job."

"Yes, sir."

I took a small chair, set it by the window, and sat watching the city below, I saw tiny figures moving under the evening lamps. No doubt their lives were richer than mine in every way that mattered. Friends. Lovers. A place to come home to that actually felt like home. Ever since Cuba, it had felt like something in me had gone missing. beyond even the loss of whatever autonomy I'd had thanks to my little diary. It was as if reality itself had leaned in close and whispered, Look at the life you had. You'll never have it again.

I didn't feel sad about it, strangely. Didn't even cry. It sat in me more like a scar, one that had frozen over long ago and stopped hurting the way fresh wounds do. And it wasn't all doom and gloom really. I had Elsa. My kids. The one on the way. Joe, whatever his flaws, was still my brother. Nadezhda. Even my old cop buddies, the ones I'd scooped up and put on payroll. I leaned back, running through lines from Narcos, Escobar, Gallardo, trying to recall the best bits for my pitch tonight. I ran through them again and again, until the door opened behind me.

Rothstein.

I stood and turned to face him. "They're here I take it."

"They're waiting on you."

"Good." I crossed the room. "Let's not keep them waiting any longer, then."

We left my suite and walked down to the conference room where they'd all gathered. Rothstein and I paused outside the door together. I looked up at it for a second, took a breath, and pushed it open.

Every eye in the room landed on me instantly. I didn't bother looking at any of them, I just walked straight to the seat at the head of the table, where a bottle of Coca-Cola and a glass sat waiting. I poured myself a drink, took a sip, and set the glass down.

"My apologies for the wait, gentlemen. I simply wanted everyone assembled before we got started, this is likely to take a while. But don't worry yourselves. Room, board, food, women, all arranged for the duration of your stay. Men too, if that's your preference, just let my people know discreetly." I rapped my knuckles twice against the table.

Several of my men filed in, carrying a stack of envelopes, and laid one in front of each guest.

"Open them, please. Take your time looking through the contents. Save your insults, threats, and questions for after."

One of them narrowed his eyes at me. "And who the hell are you to tell me that?"

I laughed. "Open it. You'll find out exactly who I am."

I smiled, just a little, I'd always had a soft spot for the brash, defiant ones. Watching them fold under pressure was half the fun. I watched him and the others tear into their envelopes, and there it was, that same look Rothstein had worn earlier. Terror. Confusion. Disgust, thick as tar.

"What the fuck is this?" the same man demanded, the one who'd dared talk back.

"That," I said, pointing at the folder in his hands, "is a little record of my work. I'm sorry, I don't believe I caught your name-" I leaned forward to check the small placard in front of him. "Ah. Mr. Masseria. As you can see, that's a modest sample of what I'm capable of." I looked around at the rest of them, letting my eyes settle on each face in turn. "The same goes for the rest of you fine gentlemen. I'll admit, I don't fully understand how American crime operates. But I do know one law that holds true everywhere in this world: strength, fear, and a demonstrated willingness toward violence are the only things men like us actually respect. So consider this a demonstration. Men, women, children, infants, even the family dog, no one will get spared when my associates and I come calling. Now." I settled back into my chair. "Now that we all understand exactly who I am, shall we begin?"

"As most of you already know, I've been working with Mr. Rothstein to ship alcohol into New York from the Soviet Union. Between July 1921 and March 1923, the Soviet state alone pulled in approximately sixty million dollars from that trade. Sixty million. And we've kept it running since—another nine months through this December adds roughly eighteen million more. Seventy-eight million total. That's New York alone." I let the number sit in the air for a moment. "And as Mr. Rothstein tells it, the market's flooded—which has left men like Mr. Masseria's Sicilian outfit understandably unhappy. So here's my proposal: I cut you all in. Not just New York, Chicago, Boston, St. Louis, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Philadelphia, every major city on the map. The USSR has an ocean of liquor, gentlemen, and there's more than enough to go around."

I stood and let my eyes sweep the table. "But this doesn't come for free." I paused, savoring it. "I've done my homework, market research from your point of view. I know the Jews, the Irish, the Chinese, the Italians in this room can barely stand the sight of each other. I won't pretend the Soviet Union is some utopia, trust me, we manage about as much mutual tolerance back home as you all do here. But I have no interest in watching my customers shoot each other in the street and drag the Bureau of Investigation down on all our heads. So here's my offer, gentlemen, plain and simple: we form an organization. One that pools resources, trains soldiers, trades intelligence, and buys silence where silence needs buying. Mr. Rothstein handles day-to-day operations stateside. All you owe him is his expenses."

I began pacing slowly around my chair. "In return, you get several things. Mr. Rothstein arbitrates every territorial dispute between your organizations before it turns into a bloodbath on the sidewalk. Alcohol prices get fixed at an artificially high, standardized rate nationwide, every speakeasy sells at the same number. If some upstart competitor tries to undercut you, we drop prices in their neighborhood and lean on them until they fall in line, one way or another. Bribes, bail, blackmail, and any liaison work with American law enforcement or government, Rothstein handles all of it. And if anyone, anywhere, is foolish enough to touch us?" I let the pause hang. "Our federation handles that too. Think of this organization as the League of nations, but for American organized crime, except with more teeth."

Masseria looked at me for a long moment, then finally spoke. "You make an interesting offer, Mr. Jugashvili." Then his expression hardened into a glare. "But tell me, who exactly do you think you are? I'll give you credit for your manners. You paid for our passage, our hotel rooms, our food. But you really think that buys us? You really think I'll work under that fucking kike?" He jabbed a finger toward Rothstein. "And you think I'll take orders out of Moscow, on top of it?"

"We don't answer to outsiders," he continued, leaning forward. "Not Jews, not Irish, not Russians, not you. We Sicilians didn't build this family so we could hand it over to some foreign commissar and his kike errand boy. In Sicily, blood is blood. Family is family. We don't open our doors to strangers, and we sure as hell don't open our books to them either. We were willing to hear you out, perhaps cooperate in some limited manner, but this?" He spat the words like they tasted foul in his mouth. "You can dress it up however you like Mr. Jugashvili, but at the end of the day you're still an outsider asking men to bow to a man they've never met, for a country they'll never see."

"That's a relief, honestly." I smiled. "I was warned you Italians, Sicilians especially were stubborn. I'm glad to see the reputation's earned. Frankly, managing men as pigheaded as you and yours would've been more trouble than it's worth." I let that sit for a second before my tone shifted, colder now. "But I will warn you Mr. Masseria, once and only once. If you or your men so much as touch one of our speakeasies, one of our men, we take ten of yours in return. Kill one of ours, we kill ten of yours. And if you're foolish enough to go to war with us, we won't stop at your men. We'll start with Maria, your wife. Funny coincidence, actually, my first wife was named Maria too. Of course after her corpse is in the Hudson we will work our way down the list. Claire. Bernard. Vitina. James. Joseph. You should have paid attention to that folder before making empty threats, I am not above touching civilians."

I watched his knuckles whiten as his hands clenched on the table, murder written plainly across his face. "You're bluffing."

I laughed. "Check the folder again, pretty sure I sprinkled some women and children in there too. I'm telling you this once Masseria. I am not some criminal off the street. You are dealing with a state. And right now, I am handing you and your wops the chance to make an enormous amount of money." I lowered myself back into my chair. "You people love your terms, omertà, made men, loyalty, brotherhood. Fancy words all of it, all to cope with whatever nonsense you all get up to. But I know for a fact that every single man in this room would sell out his own brother for the right price, or to keep himself out of a jail cell. You're not the only one I did my homework on after all. Your subordinates were remarkably cooperative once the number got high enough." I laughed. "After all, now I know your wife loves to attend 9 am mass with your family and only a few guards. In my opinion, society and me to a lesser extent doesn't need your excuses, It only needs you to know your place and cooperate."

I smiled, finally, my chance to deliver the line I'd been sitting on all night.

"So let me remind everyone in this room exactly who they're dealing with. My name is Mikheil Vissarionovich Jugashvili. My eyes are everywhere. That means not one of you moves a single finger in this country without my knowing about it eventually. And if I wanted to, I could have any man in this room who refuses me thrown behind bars before the week is out." I snapped my fingers.

The doors swung open. Several of my men filed in, carrying suitcases, which they set down on the table and opened one by one. Inside: paperwork, stacks of it.

"This," I said, gesturing at the files, "is tax documentation. Filings, records, receipts, on every single business represented in this room. Now, I couldn't touch you all for murder, extortion, anything like that, not easily, anyway. But tax evasion? That, gentlemen, I can absolutely make stick. You're all sitting on fortunes and paying pennies on the dollar to the government for the privilege. I could mail every last page of this straight to Mr. William J. Burns at the Bureau of Investigation tomorrow morning and watch every man at this table go down for evasion. And while you're all rotting in courtrooms and cells alongside your top lieutenants, I could sweep in behind you, dismantle what's left of your organizations, and leave your families with absolutely nothing." I yawned, stretching back in my chair. "But I'm a reasonable man. A merciful man. A businessman, first and foremost." I reached down, drew a pistol from my side, and set it gently on the table between us. "So the choice is simple, gentlemen."

"Silver, or lead." I looked around. "Feel free to decide whether you're in or out. And if you're out, just remember, touching the organization means war."
 
Side story 20: Procurer New
April 7, 1987
New York City
New York State, US


Yuri Alekseev Baranov stood on the corner of Fifth Avenue and East 79th Street, smoking a cigarette and looking out over Central Park. He checked his watch. Two o'clock. The irritation was starting to build. His cousin Anatoly had been due an hour ago.

"Five more minutes," he muttered to himself, feeling the scowl settle into his forehead, he could tell by the way pedestrians were giving him a slightly wider berth as they passed. Anatoly was always late; he'd made peace with that fact a long time ago. But an hour was too far even for him. He swore that this would be the last business trip he ever took with the man.

He shrugged and glanced down the street toward the Metropolitan Museum of Art. If Anatoly was determined to waste his afternoon, he figured he might as well waste it somewhere worthwhile. He started walking, past 80th Street, then 81st, until he reached the museum entrance. He skipped the main doors and slipped in through the group services entrance instead, a trick a waitress at a little restaurant in Brighton Beach had taught him on his last trip. He passed through security and approached the counter.

"Welcome to the Metropolitan," the woman behind the counter said.

"One ticket, please. Keep the change." He said it in his best English, careful not to let anything slip that might mark him as Soviet. It wasn't as if Soviet citizens were barred from visiting the States, but given how strained relations had been for the last 15 years, he preferred not to invite the hassle. He handed over a five-dollar bill. The suggested donation was $4.50 for adults, but he wasn't in the mood to wait around for change, and truthfully, he was in decent spirits despite Anatoly's tardiness, the trip itself had gone well.

She handed him his ticket. "Enjoy your visit."

"Thank you." He made his way inside, heading straight for the medieval armor collection. He'd first seen it six years ago, on his third trip to the States and after stumbling into the museum on his last day before returning. Even today, something about it still held his attention every time he came back. He wandered slowly through the hall, admiring the suits of armor while mentally tallying up the records, jeans, T-shirts, and sneakers he and Anatoly had bought. He smiled to himself, doing the math on what it would all fetch back home. They'd be living like kings for a few months, at least until the money began to run out and they had to make the trip all over again.

After roughly an hour of wandering, he made his way to the little eatery beside the exhibition gallery. He bought himself a cheeseburger, a side of fries, and a soda, then found a quiet corner table. He ate slowly, savoring each bite, letting the flavor sit. Nothing back home compared, not even the various little burger joints scattered around Jugashvilgrad. There was something about American burgers he couldn't quite put his finger on, but whatever it was, it beat anything they had back home.

He was still working through his burger when a family approached his table.

"Excuse me," the husband said. "Sorry to impose, but would you mind if we sat here? The other tables are full."

Yuri looked them over, a family of five. Husband, wife, two teenage girls who looked to be in their late teens, and a younger boy, maybe around his nephew Ivan's age. He glanced around the restaurant; every other table was indeed fully occupied. He shrugged. "Go ahead," he said, still working to keep the Russian accent out of his mouth.

"Thank you so much," the wife said as they settled in around him. "What's your name, by the way?"

He winced internally, already bracing for how this would go. He'd give his name, they'd ask where he was from, he'd admit he was Soviet, and then things would drift toward politics and get awkward fast. It wasn't that he disliked Americans. He just wished that they'd learn to mind their own business a little more.

"Yuri," he said, and reached for another fry.

"Ohh," the older of the two teenage girls piped up, "are you Russian? We just covered the USSR in my civics class."

"Michelle." Her mother's tone carried a gentle warning. "It's rude to just ask that out of nowhere."

"Yes," Yuri said, nodding, figuring denial would only look more suspicious at this point. "I'm Russian. A Soviet citizen, to be precise. And for your information, Russia is only one of twelve republics." He caught the flicker of discomfort cross their faces as the words landed.

"We've never actually met a Russian person before," the husband said. "Well, aside from seeing your Premier on TV." He extended a hand. "Hank. Hank Richards. Pleasure."

Yuri shook it. "Yuri Alekseev Baranov."

"This is my wife, Sonia," Hank continued, gesturing around the table. "My oldest, Michelle, then Sharon, and our youngest, Steven."

"A pleasure," Yuri said, letting his accent slip through a little more freely now that the cat was out of the bag.

"So what brings you to the States?" Sonia asked. "You're not a spy are you?"

There it is, he thought. Every single conversation with an American eventually circled back to that same joke. "If I were a spy I'd be sightseeing near a military base, not a museum." That got a small round of chuckles. "But for the record, I'm a postavshchik. A procurer."

"A procurer?" Hank asked.

"That's right." Yuri nodded. "To be specific, back home, American goods are popular. Jeans, sneakers, records, books, films, television, various brands and fashions. It's not illegal to own them, but the Soviet state doesn't allow American companies to operate there. So that's where I come in. I buy the goods here, bring them back, and resell them at a markup. The state gets a cut, the citizens get their appetites satiated, and I write down and report who bought what and report it to the KGB, everyone wins."

"Report it?" Sharon said.

"Yes." Yuri said. "All purchases of foreign goods need to be reported to the KGB, they keep track of everything."

"So you are a spy." Hank said.

"No," He shook his head slightly, "You could say I'm more of an informer."

"So you rat on other people?" Steven said.

"Steven." Sonia said, "That's rude."

"Something like that." He continued, chuckling at that. "Its why me and everyone else who comes here for business is allowed to remain in business. The government gets it cut, the security services gets its information. And once we give them that they let us continue like nothing happened. I even have my procurer license. Officially I am a state sanctioned logistics specialist."

"That's a rather grim way of putting it." Hank said.

"From your point of view it is yes." He nodded.

"How long are you planning on sticking around?" Sonia asked between bites of her own burger.

"About two weeks now," Yuri said, picking up another fry. "I fly out in two days. I was supposed to be waiting on my cousin Tolya, he still had some purchases to make, but he is running late as usual, so I wandered off without him. I'll track him down eventually. Tomorrow I figure I'll just take in the sights, walk around a bit."

"Sounds like you come to New York a lot," Sonia said.

"I do," he admitted. "Every four to six months or so. It pays well enough. I bought my wife a car a few months back, and we picked up a small dacha just outside Jugashvilgrad where I'm from. In theory, I could live like a king off this. But there's the anti-parasitism laws to worry about, so I can't exactly sit around doing nothing all day. When I'm home I sweep streets part-time, and I'm in the army reserves as well so I'm called to drill once a month"

"Anti-parasitism?" Sharon asked, confused.

"Ah, right, you don't have that here." He felt a flicker of awkwardness settle in. "Essentially, the government requires every able-bodied adult to work. If you don't, you're sent to a labor camp. So I sweep the streets a few hours a day every day when I'm home. After that, I go relax, catch a film, maybe drive around a bit." He shrugged. "It is what it is."

The parents and both daughters gave him a look somewhere between horror and pity. Only Steven seemed unfazed.

"A labor camp?" Steven asked.

"That's right." Yuri nodded. "A camp. Prisons don't exist in the USSR, the government just sends you off to do corrective labor instead."

"Jesus," Hank said. "That sounds miserable. How do you live with that hanging over you?"

"What do you mean? I've never actually been sent to one."

"I mean the threat of it. Just knowing it's there."

"And?" He genuinely didn't follow. "Commit a crime here, you go to jail. Back home, we just put people to work instead."

"You Soviets are strange people."

"From your point of view we are." Yuri shrugged. "If I recall, it was Stalin's brother, comrade Jugashvili who said something like this in an interview a long time ago. Let me think..." He paused, searching his memory. "Ah yes, it went like this: we may look the same, but we think about the world and see it in an entirely different way than you do."

Hank sat with that for a moment, turning it over in his head. "You know," he said. "Maybe he had a point."
 
Back
Top