1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Of Ancient Families and Magics

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by fellto, Feb 26, 2018.

1. fellto

fellto Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Hello,
    after reading fanfiction for years I decided to share some of the world rules I use in my daydreams.
    English is not my native language and I dont think I have much talent for writing fanfiction, but hear comes some basics
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Classification of magical Families

Magical families can be separated in three categories by whether they are "Noble" and therefore hold a hereditary seat in there countries government and whether they are "Ancient" and therefore have family magic.

Separated by "nobility":

-Commoners

-Noble Families:
    Noble families are elevated to nobility by there countries respective magical government body (in England it is named Wizengamot) or voted by Most noble families.
    Since in most civilized countries the magical government is a subdivision of the mundane government, noble families should be motivated not to piss the mundane rulers of else the find themselves commoners once again.

-Most Noble Families:
    Most noble families have been elevated to nobility by magical kings who ruled in there own right (see sovereign magical families) as such the mundane governments have not as much control over them. They however are held responsible for there actions as rulers by the magic they are sworn to.
    Most noble families (number of votes required depends on the respective country) can elevate commoners to nobility both as rewards for services to there own families or the nation but can not make nobles commoners once again.

-sovereign Magical Families:
    Sovereign magical families are an enigma as to what they actually are as they are rare.
    The only thing really known about them is that Magic herself elevated them to nobility.
    The only family that history and magic researchers fully agree to fall under this category were the Pandragons. Thou ancient Egypt and ancient China also have some of the les argued upon candidates.

Separated by "anciennity":

-Commoners (are you surprised?)

-Ancient families:
    Ancient Families are those who have the basic family magic unless they qualify for being a Most ancient family.

If we take healing magic as an example an untrained member of an Ancient family with healing magic can instinctively heal smaller wounds (a childs accidental magic, even if not so accidental) and would be capable of about 50% of what someone with a mastery in healing can do by the time they are of age if trained for about 3 hours a week starting at age 6 since family magic , even the ones that poses a danger to the user, are completely save (for the user) to use before puberty. Ad the training for a mastery in healing to that and you know why it is not smart to make fun of a family magic as "useless" as one of healing nature.

The requirements for having more than 1 family magic without being of a Most Ancient Family are not yet understood as the results of research in this direction are incoherent.

Family magic includes, butt is not limited to:
    -instinctive knowledge of common types of magic (e.g. Transfiguration, Potions...)
    -instinctive knowledge of languages
    -magic that requires being of a special bloodline to denigrate negative effects (e.g. Necromancy, Demon Summoning)
    -special magic that requires being of a special bloodline to work at all
    -Metamorph

-Most Ancient Families:
    Most ancient families are those where family magic gets interesting. Had our healer from the example for Ancient families been of a Most ancient family, he or she would have started at 50% healing mastery level of capability as what accidental magic can do and scale up from there at an even steeper learning curve. But the real power of the Most ancient families is that they have a hereditary animagus form (see blood animagus) on top of there soul animagus that correlates to the rest of there family magic and gives it a massive boost when in that form.

It is common for Most ancient families to have minor family magics of Ancient families they are related to in addition to there own, between one and three secondary magics is common, but higher numbers have been seen in History as well.
    This often jumps generations and rarely two family members alive have the same secondary magic.
    The closer an Ancient family is to extinction, the more likely the respective family magic shows in related members of Most ancient families.

-High Ancient Families:
    High Ancient Families are half myth, half fairy tale and half religion.
    Those who do not know or decide to ignore that Myth and fairy tales are almost the same will consider the power of High Ancient Families larger than they can in reality be.
    But even weakened from hiding there power a little to long and there ancient rolls forgotten.
    THEY. ARE. NOT.

What we call High Ancient Families are basically personifications of magical aspects that decided that since humans are the dominant species, that be the form they have to take.
    The total original number of them in the world is not known, but Great Britain, once known as Avalon used to have 4 in resides.

The Aspect of Authority
    Known member of this family: Arthur Pandragon
    Blood Animagus form: Dragon (can shift through different (Dragon) species at will, Metamorph)

The Aspect of Fairies
    Known member of this family: Myrdin Emrys
    Blood Animagus form: Fairy (can shift through different (Fairy) species at will, Metamorph)

The Aspect of Instinct
    Known member of this family: Morgana Le Fey
    Blood Animagus form: Demons (can shift through different (demon) species at will, Metamorph)

The Aspect of Death
    (Managed to hide there mortal names before Arthur, Myrdin and Morgana got into there litle cat-fight that ended Avalon) *cough*Peverel*cough*
    Blood Animagus form: Undead (can shift through different (undead) species at will, Metamorph)

When asked about why Myrdin was associated with fairies while Morgana had "of the fairies" in her name, a Ministery of Magic official said: „All historical texts prof that it was Morgana who was related to daemons, they have been written by respected pure bloods and are as reliable as Minister Fudge unbribable."

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Akuma-Heika and Harpy81 like this.
  2. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

... could you please change the font color to something that does not make my eyes bleed please? :p

EDIT: the current color does not agree with my color theme either. Maybe white font?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  3. Jordisk

Jordisk Versed in the lewd.

Default font would be best. Just purge all formatting.

You kind of have these backwards, if you are going by the actual lore. Le Fey (you misspelled it) literally means "Of the Fae" or "Of the Fairies", and she is sometimes said to be related to the Lady of the Lake. Meanwhile, Myrrdin Emyris, otherwise known as Merlin Ambrosius, was said to be the child of a Nun and an Incubus (a male sex demon).

Rikallyn likes this.
  4. fellto

fellto Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

... Than I would have to make Myrrdin the bad guy for my storry.

Or I have them as different people and leave the spelling errors in the names as distinctions.

I will have to think about that.

Edit: changed formate as sugested, corrected Morganas name and added something

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018