1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ripple of Kindness(Attack on Titan)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Akumakami64, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Akuma-Heika

Akuma-Heika The Devil Exists Within

I was just trying to edit it in (cannot edit, while opening new tabs for QQ), that I might have misremembered. It has been awhile. I remembered the wording making me think that she commanded other Titans (possible I got mixed up due to the talk of the Coordinate and its abilities though)

2. Renko

Renko Look closer ~☆

Another good chapter!

I'm more interested in how all of this will affect Eldia and Eldians in the future. Will Ymir's abilitities will get passed on just like in canon? Will there even be any Titans in the future?

And the future of Marley and the rest of the world! I wonder about that too!

:D

3. EchoDragon

EchoDragon Experienced.

I wonder if her death cut the power's growth short, I think the curse of Ymir is beyond her control, as she wouldn't have a reason to kill the royal family.

Than again, she is immortal, and can pop back to the world on command through her descendants (even if she couldn't at the start), so it is up to you to decide if it is going to stop in nine titans, or if she starts developing the abillity to grant titan shifter powers on command, Eren with full control on the founding titan could summon every shifter, even if he was limited to the nine titans.
    There will be titans, I remember subjects of Ymir which the founding titan made immune to sexual diseases were mentioned.

And she did get the purple eyes of the founding titan now.

4. Threadmarks: Chapter 8: Burying the Past
    Akumakami64

Akumakami64 Experienced.

Ancient Eldian Historical Discoveries:

"Where the Power of the Titans came from is a heavily debated topic in history, and religion, making it a very sensitive topic to address. However, most agree that at some point, Ymir was a human, or lived as one in any case. Thus the question becomes, where she came from. Most that know not all Eldians are of Ymir's blood just assume that she was a member of the original tribe of Eldia. After all, if she was from another tribe, that tribe would unlikely to be forgotten, being the birth place of the Primordial Titan herself.

However, another plausible theory is that she came from another tribe that was absorbed into Eldia. It is impossible to know if Eldia was already absorbing other tribes into their own before the time of Ymir began. Yet depictions of Eldians from Pre-Ymir times and the early days of the Empire describe most Eldians as being dark of hair. Ymir's blond hair places her origins to the south-southwest of Ancient Eldia. It is not unlikely that Ymir came from a dying village and came to start a new life in Eldia, and thus the name was forgotten even in her own time.

A third possibility is something much less realized; It was very common in this era for both people and places to have names ending in -mir. It is entirely possibly that Ymir's name was similar or even the same as her birthplace, and thus was unintentionally phased out as languages changed and records were misinterpreted as meaning something else about Ymir the person rather than a location."

Ymir found herself laying listlessly as the moonlight shined through a window, moving slowly as the hours passed on. She couldn't sleep. And trying to force it only made her more awake.

With great care, she slipped from the sheets next to her master. The children were still asleep and, true to Fritz's word, both of Maria's feet were out from under the blankets. She gave a small smile at that before silently leaving the room. The guards gave her curious glances, but didn't stop her. She didn't explain, giving them a gesture to remain quiet as she slowly closed the door. They nodded in apparent understanding. Disturbing the king AND the princesses wasn't a danger anyone wanted to risk.

A short walk later, she found herself outside. "Lady Ymir?" one of the guards addressed in surprise, keeping his tone low. "Taking a stroll?"

Ymir paused in consideration before nodding. She supposed that was true. The guards did not pry further as she walked off to the side, her path lit only by the moon's pale light.

This village really was just like Eldia use to be. Just like hers use to be as well.

She didn't remember her parents well, but she recalled many things about her village. Little details, scattered memories with only vague contexts. The empty old well nobody was suppose to throw rocks into, for some reason, but everyone did so anyway, for no reason at all. A wedding performed before a wooden carving of a bear someone had made a long time ago, to honor the god Bjorn. A strange dog no one owned but everyone took care of. A tree that somehow grew lopsided enough to have its "top" branches pointed downward. Children whose names she couldn't remember. And the grave of someone she couldn't recall.

She remembered her mother's smile and long flowing hair. Her father's beard was prickly and he smelled after a day of work.

The only thing she couldn't remember at all...was the name.

It saddened her, not being able to recall the name of her homeland. But that wasn't what was keeping her from sleeping tonight.

It took her a little while to find them in the darkness, but she did: the pile of bones that had been placed out to one side of the path. The remains of some nameless souls that had the unfortunate luck to die out here, likely alone. Were they murdered? Was it a sickness? An infection? No one would know now, save the gods.

It was a pointless, meaningless thing. But she felt a desire to do it. Besides, she was helping in a way. She was sure no one wanted to see these bones laying about.

She certainly didn't want her daughters to see them either.

Meanwhile

Fritz frowned as he realized that Ymir hadn't returned yet. That was a long trip to relieve one's self. Not too long ago, his first instinct might be to assume she was trying to run away. But that was a foolish notion even disregarding his new insight into her. She had a great many chances to flee before now. She was the Titaness for the sake of the gods! And he knew that Ymir wouldn't abandon her daughters, or Eldia. No, this was something else.

With a grunt, he stood and shrugged off the blanket, looking over at his daughters to make sure he hadn't woken them. They were still dreaming the night away, and he decided not to dwell on why or how Sheena ended up sleeping upside down.

"Morning, King Fritz," the guards greeted quietly as he stepped out. "Everything well?"

"Where, by the Forts, is Ymir?" he asked gruffy while massaging his temple.

"She was taking a walk outside, King," one of them informed calmly.

Fritz nodded. That was good. If his guards didn't know where she was, then they wouldn't be doing their job right. With a mighty yawn, he walked outside, being greeted by the guards there as well. He grunted, giving this one a very pointed and curious look.

The guard didn't need further prompting, knowing exactly what Fritz wanted to know. He tilted his head to the side and pointed down the path to his left. "We have another two keeping an eye around the back side," he answered vaguely. Fritz didn't like his guard being cryptic, and his frown showed it. "Lady Ymir is...well, we offered to help, but..."

Fritz shook his head and decided to go see for himself, heading off down the path. He spied two guards standing by a house, staring at the last building on this edge of the village. He was about to address the soldiers, who were glancing between him and something else, when he heard it.

The sound of soil being dug up.

He hummed, brow furrowed, as he changed course slightly and headed around the corner of the final building.

He rose an eyebrow at the sight of Ymir the Titaness, wielding a shovel as she poured dirt over a freshly dug hole. "Ymir?"

She looked up in alarm at his voice, holding the shovel close and looking very unsure of herself.

He frowned harder, looking down at the hole. It was dark out though, and she had already started burying whatever was in it. "What are you doing?" he asked, regarding her intently.

"...Grave," she answered softly, nodding down to the hole. "Bones."

Fritz rose an eyebrow. "You wanted to bury the bodies we found?" he supplied, getting an nod. "Why?"

"Someone. Should," she answered softly, looking down. "I'm. Sorry."

"You could have told someone else to do it," Fritz pointed out idly. "I was thinking about burning them, but...well, I suppose this is less noticeable for the girls than a fire."

Ymir nodded, glad he shared her thoughts on this. Slowly, hesitantly, she returned to burying the bodies. Fritz watched her for a moment, moving the dirt one shovel-full at a time, before sighing. "Where did you find that?"

Ymir stopped again, tilting her head to show her lack of understanding.

"The shovel, Ymir," he explained with a groan as he massaged away some grogginess, wishing she had at least picked a different hour to do this.

Ymir's eyes widened and, for some reason, she suddenly appeared uneasy. Carefully and silently, she placed the shovel against the wall. He grew very interested as she looked around cautiously, bringing one hand forth...

Fritz bit his tongue to hold back his alarm when Ymir's hand started to glow softly. Before his very eyes, flesh-stone began to spread out of her palm. It formed a staff, a handle and eventually an entire shovel. It turned from white to grey, before resting in Ymir's hand.

"...How long have you been able to do that?" Fritz asked in an entirely level tone.

"Just. This. Night." Ymir answered honestly, bowing her head. "I'm. Sorry."

"If you only figured it out now, why are you sorry?" he asked with a scowl.

"You are. Upset. With Me," she answered meekly. "I. Should have. Figured. This out. Sooner. Master."

Fritz gave her a strange look. "Ymir, I wasn't angry that it took this long for this...new power to show itself. I just thought you were keeping it secret."

Ymir looked surprised by that. "Master. I. Do not. Have. Secrets," she answered, as if she was stating the obvious.

Fritz rose an eyebrow. For a woman with no secrets, she was a grand mystery at times. "Give it here," he prompted, taking the shovel from her and holding it experimentally. It was a bit heavier than a normal shovel, and the balance felt off, but it would do. "Well, let's get this over with," he said with a sigh as he began to shovel the dirt himself.

"Master?" Ymir asked in shock.

Fritz sighed. "Ymir, I don't give two shits about whoever is in this grave. But this is obviously important to you. So let's get this over with," he stated bluntly.

Despite the tone, Ymir didn't flinch. She almost smiled even, as they made short work of the pile of dirt.

"There. Gods, why couldn't you have done this at dawn?" Fritz grumbled as he wiped the dirt from his clothes.

"I'm...sorry."

Fritz's grogginess vanished instantly, replaced by alarm as he noticed Ymir panting heavily and leaning against the wall. "Ymir? What's wrong?"

"I. Don't. Know," she answered, looking very exhausted and pale. "Flesh-Stone?"

Fritz scowled. "It must be harder to use that like this instead of as the Titaness," he guessed, reaching his hand up to her nose before examining it. No blood, so that was a good sign.

"I'm. Sorry," she said, leaning fully against the wall now. "You. Told me. Not to. Overdo it."

"Yes, and neither of us knew you could do this at all when I said that," Fritz reminded with an eyeroll as he grasped her arms and helped her take a seat on the ground. "Is there a reason my Titaness went through all of this?" he asked idly as he sat beside her.

Ymir took soothing breaths, feeling her body calm down. It was like she had ran a great distance in a single instant, and now her body was trying to readjust. That gave her time to ponder his question, and her answer. Why was this important? For all she knew they were murderers and thieves. But by that same token, they could have just people that got lost between someplace else and the capital.

"Master? May I. Ask. A question?" she requested softly, longingly.

Fritz looked very interested by her tone. "Yes, Ymir?"

"Do you. Remember. My village?" she asked distantly. She knew she was ignoring his question, and she shouldn't do that, but...It felt like this was somehow the answer, in a way.

Fritz froze, completely motionless and expressionless. "...Yes," he answered without infliction. "What of it?"

"Can you. Tell me. The name?" she requested, bringing her legs up to her chest and hugging them.

"What?" Fritz asked in shock, head turning to her in a snap.

She was staring up at the sky, her beautiful face marred by melancholy. "I can't. Remember. The name," she repeated, feeling ashamed. "I do not. Even remember. When I. Last Heard it."

"That's...that's all?" Fritz asked slowly. "Just the name, nothing else?"

She finally looked towards him, in confusion. What was he saying? What was she suppose to be asking?

"You aren't going to ask me why?" he asked, utterly baffled.

Ymir didn't blink, or even look shocked. Her eyes just softened into a sad, knowing look.

"I know why."

The answer came so soft and certain, Fritz couldn't believe she said it, even as he stared into her solemn eyes.

"...Himir," he answered after a second. "Your village's name was Himir."

Ymir nodded slowly. "Himir. Thank you."

Fritz stared at her as many old questions resurfaced in his head. What was going on with her head? Why didn't she hate him? Or at least get angry over the memory of her village's destruction? She just sat here and thanked the man that destroyed her li-

"Master?" Ymir spoke up again, pausing his thoughts. "Did. Himir. Have. Slaves?"

And suddenly, he was reminded of who Ymir was, who he knew her to be. "...Yes, they did."

Ymir looked up at the moon. "We are. All. Very. Cruel," she mused to the heavens.

Fritz watched her for a moment before gazing up at the moon with her. "Do you remember the day you became the Titaness?"

Ymir lowered her gaze, pushing away the memories of arrows, dogs, running, and blood. "Yes," she answered, hugging her legs harder.

"Do you remember when you came back to the village?" he continued.

Ymir stopped, blinking as she flowed through her memories. "I. Think. So?" she answered uncertainly. She remembered most of it. The whole thing had been a blur after she fell into the tree.

Fritz snorted. "Everyone thought we were going to die," he stated bluntly. "We thought this giant...thing was here to destroy our village."

Ymir didn't say anything, letting him talk. If he was going to punish her for scaring the old village, he would have done it all those years ago.

"I knew it was you."

Now she looked to him with a stunned expression.

Fritz shrugged and explained. "It seemed a strange chance, a slave girl sent into the forest, then a female giant with the same hair color emerges from the Ash-tree."

Ymir stared for a moment before nodding. She supposed it was a good point and an obvious conclusion. She just...had never thought about what that day had been like for everyone else.

"I said it once, I'll say it again: I thought you were going to kill me. I was prepared for that," he admitted before smirking. "The giant kneeling down, you emerging from the neck, and falling onto the ground? That caught me off guard. Then I saw your wounds healing as you-

"I stood up. I walked. To you. And I knelt," Ymir finished in a lost tone, deep in her own memory.

Fritz nodded. "For the next three days, I swore I would wake up one day and the whole thing would be a strange drunken dream."

Ymir glanced to him a few times before carefully adding in something of her own. "I thought. I was. Dying. And. Imagining. Everything."

"That was my second guess," Fritz remarked, giving a half smirk. "Though, you would have already been a full grown woman by then if it had been my dream."

Ymir said nothing to that, wondering where this was going. Where had it even started? What...was this, this moment? She didn't know, but she was sure it would end if she asked.

"All I dreamed of for the first year was using you to destroy all of Marley, lay every city to rubble and burn the rest," he admitted darkly as Ymir bowed her head.

She'd do it too. Ymir knew she'd do it if he told her to. Marley was suppose to be the biggest empire in the world. How many people would she have to kill, to kill them all? How much more blood would she have to spill until it was enough?

Fritz suddenly sighed before shaking his head. "But then I stopped being an idiot."

Ymir looked to him in surprise. "Master?" she asked in concern, never hearing him speak ill of himself.

"Don't mistake me, Ymir. Marley could sink into the sea and I wouldn't shed a tear for the bastards. I'd probably finish off the survivors. But..." he paused, weighing his words. "At some point, between uniting the tribes and decimating Marley's armies, I figured something out. Right now, conquering Marley wouldn't work. We just don't have enough people and warriors to keep control of that much land. So, I had to pick between my two greatest desires: Destroy Marley or create a future for Eldia."

"A future," Ymir repeated, her mind drifting to Maria, Rose, and Sheena.

"That's why I accepted their surrender," Fritz explained. "They relinquish some nearby territory, stop raiding our lands, and I don't unleash you on them."

That made sense to Ymir. And if the threat of her led to less fighting, she supposed that was a good thing. Except for one detail: The Assassination. "And now?" she asked, knowing Fritz was a cruel and vengeful man to his enemies.

"I don't know," he admitted stoically. "I'd rather avoid restarting the war, but that's in Marley's hand now, and how they react to my warning. Either way, I just want to leave as few problems for Maria as possible."

"Maria?" Ymir repeated curiously.

"Yes? She is the oldest," Fritz reminded, wondering why that wasn't obvious. He also had no particular reason to think Sheena or Rose should be given the throne over Maria. Yet at least. Who knew how those two would turn out later.

Ymir paused before looking to him curiously. "What. About. Rose. And Sheena?"

"One day at a time, Ymir," he said with a headshake. "For now, they are just children."

Ymir almost smiled at that.

"Come on, lets get back to bed," Fritz grumbled as he stood up, Ymir following suit as well.

Without another word, they began to head back to the main hall. Ymir paid it no mind, but Fritz couldn't help noticing the interesting looks the guards gave them as they passed. They thought they were being discrete, but they weren't. As did the guards at the main hall, but one of them was at least brazen enough to voice their suspicions.

"King, Lady Ymir," Baugi greeted, leaning next to the door, eyeing their dirt-stained clothes with a knowing look. "Glad you're enjoying the night,"

Fritz rubbed his head as Ymir looked unfazed by the assumption. "Why again, did I leave your brother behind for this trip, Baugi?" Fritz grumbled with a sigh.

Baugi just chuckled as the royal pair passed him, as did the other guards.

Fritz didn't have the energy or patience to care at the moment, so he ignored them in favor of returning to the bedroom.

He and Ymir returned to bed, only pausing to glance at their daughters quizzically.

"Now. They are. All. Upside down," Ymir observed in confusion, wondering how all three of them ended up sleeping on the opposite ends of their makeshift bed.

"First time in less than a bed," Fritz murmured, waving her to bed.

They still had a few hours before dawn, thankfully...

The call of a raven, its eye staring upon her.

Hands of dying men reaching to her desperately, pleadingly.

A room of trophies, each pedestal dripping with blood.

A white tower in the midst of a desert.

Lightning striking a city, shattering it to ruins, and then it was naught but ash.

A giant wolf, bigger than any horse, stood viciously over the corpses of Eldian warriors. Fritz alone stared the beast down without fear, a sword in his hand.

A cold voice in her head, and in her heart:

"You should have let him die."

Ymir awoke in a cold sweat, gasping for breath as she clutched her chest. Her eyes darted frantically around the room.

This was the bedroom she and her family had been staying in. Right, they had left the city to do some tests with her powers.

Her breathing slowed to a more normal pace. It was just a bad dream, just a night terror. A strange one, admittedly. She hadn't any in a few years now, and those had always been less...cryptic.

Shaking her head, she looked around the room again and confirmed what she saw the first time: she was alone. Her daughters and Fritz were already up, and had left her to sleep.

She wondered why that was, but didn't dwell on it as she rose.

She used to be very sore when she laid on the floor, when she was younger. But after becoming the Titaness, that didn't really happen anymore. Any stiffness in her joints vanished as soon as she opened her eyes every morning, unless she overused her powers.

She wandered out and the hall was empty as well, meaning they were outside. She exited the door, finding a few guards gathered near it.

"Lady Ymir," they greeted, standing a bit straighter.

She looked from them to the abandoned village, seeing some warriors wandering about or doing some task or another, and hearing noises not too far off in the distance.

"King Fritz has the princesses practicing their riding skills," one of the guards supplied after a moment of silence..

Ymir glanced to him and nodded minutely before heading down the path. Her gaze drifted towards the sun. It wasn't that high in the sky. Mere hours had passed since dawn. Why wasn't she awakened? Then again, they were not at the palace anymore. She had awakened every day, just as the sun rose, with servants bringing her breakfast, and news of anything Fritz might have planned for her today.

Given the nature of their stay here, she had assumed she would have been awakened at dawn to begin the tests again at the earliest chance.

She found her way to the edge of the village, and saw the soldiers and wisemen were eating a stew, the large pot steaming over a fire.

Not only them, but two of her daughters as well.

"Lady Ymir," Baugi greeted with a nod from his seat on a log, drawing the attention of Sheena and Maria, who were sitting next to him.

"Good Morning, Mother!" Sheena greeted with a smile, almost spilling her bowl of stew in the process.

"Mother," Rose gave as well, more quiet and uncertain.

Ymir almost smiled, but looked around at the others in obvious search for her eldest, or for Fritz.

"Father took Maria horse riding," Sheena supplied, pointing out to the forest. Sure enough, through the trees, Ymir could see two horses riding along, one of their riders distinctly smaller than the other. "Rose is next, and I already went," Sheena said proudly.

"Our smallest princess actually tried to race Fritz back here," Baugi said with a laugh.

"I would have won too, if I had a better horse," Sheena protested with a pout.

"Ha! Good luck finding a horse better than Blood Hoof!" Baugi said with a laugh.

"Blood Hoof?" Rose asked in confusion. "Is that what Father named his horse?"

"Huh? You mean to tell me you never heard the story of Blood Hoof?" Baugi asked in surprise, looking between the two as if they just told him the sky was green.

"I have!" Sheena answered eagerly. "I heard the people that take care of the stables talking about it! They said Blood Hoof smashed the head of a Marleyan general!"

"Well, that's the short version of the story," Baugi murmured to their interest.

Ymir's as well. When had that happened? The only thing interesting she remembered about Blood Hoof was that time the Marleyans tried to burn her with catapults hurling flaming boulders at her. That had been a bad day. She was fireproof as the Titaness, but the Eldian warriors were not, and they hadn't been expecting the flames. She spent most of the battle trying to keep her master and his army from being burned. Blood Hoof had been one of the horses unafraid of the fire.

Baugi grunted as he rose from his seat. "Sorry for rambling a bit, Lady Ymir, I'll go let the King know you're here."

Ymir watched as the man headed off towards the tree line. With nothing to do, she looked to her daughters who were watching her curiously. Ignoring the feeling of everyone else's eyes on her, she took a seat with them, Sheena promptly moving aside so that there was space between the two sisters for their mother.

Sheena looked between her silent mother and her uncertain sister with a frown before deciding to break the quiet herself. "Mother, did you eat anything yet?" she asked curiously. Ymir looked to her and shook her head in negative, prompting Sheena to jump off her seat. "I'll get you a bowl!"

Ymir watched as her daughter walked away for a moment before looking back to her second born. If they were alone, she would ask what was wrong. But speaking with so many others close by made her hesitate, watching as Rose fidgeted under her gaze. Was she making Rose feel unsafe? She didn't like that thought, but she didn't want to make Rose feel like that.

What did mothers do to comfort scared children?

There was one, obvious answer.

Rose froze as she felt her mother's arm wrap around her shoulder and pull her into a soft embrace. She quivered and shook before latching onto Ymir desperately. "I love you, Mama," Rose whispered into her robes, soft tears staining the cloth.

Ymir's only response was to hold Rose tighter, resting her forehead against her daughter's.

Ancient Eldian Historical Discoveries

One mystery that may never be solved is the origins of Blodughofi, the Blood Hoof. There are many tales of this horse throughout the histories of Eldia, supposedly having riders across the centuries. Where as Ackermans are best described as Titans in human form, Blood Hoof was often dubbed as a Titan in horse form, having allegedly slain great foes, even without a rider. Obviously, the general consensus is that there were many Blood Hooves, all named after the legendary figure, but the original Blood Hoof is hard to place.

The only clue to a potential origin of the tale is a fragment of a Marleyan text, telling how a "Stallion of Bloody Hooves bore Fritz from the battle." However, the fragment is only a copied piece, the original having been lost to wear and tear long ago. As such, it is impossible to know if the original was authentic and when it was written, let alone which member of the royal family this refers to.

Some believe it was ridden by Ymir herself when not in Titan form, given as a gift by a suitor. Others believe it was a horse raised by Sheena herself. It is entirely possible that Blood Hoof was just a folktale that became so popular that it became a part of history. Whatever the case may be, many have been named in honor of this perhaps mythical steed. The most popular are the Blodug cavalry from the sixth and seventh century of the Eldian Empire, Bloody Hooves the race horse, and a Blodhofi Academy created to train those aspiring to join an illustrious cavalry unit.

End of Chapter

Aaaand there we go. Oi, I did not mean to put off this chapter for so long. But here we are. Ymir and Fritz had an odd moment together in the middle of the night, Ymir had a strange dream, and things are improving between Ymir and Rose.

Hope you all are still enjoying this piece of mine, and are enjoying the anime. I'll say it again, I've been enjoying building up this ancient world.

MoonCliff, Tomailo, oct9010 and 19 others like this.
  5. FirstKingPotato

FirstKingPotato King of Potatoes

I wonder what ends up happening to Ymir. All these historians are talking as if she's been long gone, but she wouldn't die of old age considering that she's a titan.

Hypervane likes this.
  6. CC_Red

CC_Red Supremest of Slimes

I love your interpretation of Ymir. Thank you for the chapter!

Hypervane likes this.
  7. Homer Simpson & The Brain

Homer Simpson & The Brain Versed in the lewd.

• Do not necro. This is against Rule 7.
    I'll be honest, I almost expected the horse's name to be Glitterhoof. :p

8. Threadmarks: Chapter 9: The Badger and the Witch
    Akumakami64

Akumakami64 Experienced.

While the Power of the Titans is often feared for its ability to take lives, it's power to save lives should not be understated. From the earliest ages of the Empire, the Kings of Eldia have doctors possessing the Blood of Ymir, who the founder can make immune to any disease. This allowed them to treat those without Ymir's Blood, Eldian or otherwise, regardless of the danger of a plague.

In later ages, when the number of Subjects of Ymir grew, this also made it possible for the Kings of Eldia to heal any soldier that lost a limb in war. Indeed, even without bringing Titans themselves into the fray, Eldia's Armies held a great advantage in how much harder it could be to kill even the common soldier.

Maria didn't crave attention, not really. She learned to appreciate what she received from a young age. Her parents were often busy in her youngest years, in the war against Marley. And by the time she could truly remember anything, Rose had already been born and she quickly learned to help care for her, and later Sheena.

So, Maria didn't realize how much she'd enjoy this. Spending time with just herself and her father, and it having nothing to do with Eldia, the future, or anything else. Just the two of them, doing things families normally did. Or what she thought families normally did.

She smiled brightly as her horse galloped through the forest, her father keeping pace just behind her. He seemed pleased himself, as he watched her steer the beast rather well.

The horse suddenly came to a stop, rearing back on its back legs with a loud and frantic neigh as Maria clung tightly. "Wow, wow, easy! What's gotten into you!?" Maria said, trying to calm and sooth her mount.

Fritz's Blood Hoof came to a much easier stop than Maria's. "What's wrong, Maria?" Fritz asked, looking at the fitful beast his daughter rode on. It was calming, but decidedly still spooked.

"I don't know, I just-" Maria stopped, hearing a rather violent hissing noise was in the air. Not like a snakes, no, more like a cat.

"Forts be damned, haven't seen one of those in a while," Fritz remarked as they spied a small black and white creatures.

"What is it father? Some kind of cat?" Maria asked, curiosity battling against her worries.

"No, that is a badger, Maria. We call these ones Hondahs," Fritz explained, keeping a pointed eye on the very angry animal. "You have a very smart horse there, Maria."

"Father?" Maria asked in confusion.

"Whatever you do, do not get down. These things are very vicious. Even horses don't want to fuck with these bastards, and I don't blame them," Fritz remarked dryly.

"But...Blood Hoof isn't afraid?" Maria pointed out, watching as her father's horse lowered its head and looked directly at the badger.

"Yeah, and Blood Hood bit a wolf once," Fritz countered, Blood Hoof snorting, chopping its teeth at the honey badger a few times, angrily. The smaller beast tried to keep up its bravado, but ultimately fled when it looked like Blood Hoof might actually try to bite.

"...Father, how do you have all your fingers with that horse?" Maria asked in awe and a new found wariness for Blood Hoof.

Fritz shrugged. "I've been asking myself questions like that for a long time, Maria."

As much as she didn't want to ruin this moment, she knew there might not be a better time to speak with him. "Father? Can I ask you something, about being King?" Maria asked cautiously.

"Maria, you're my daughter and my heir. Ask me anything," he answered calmly.

She took a small breath to ready herself. "What is...the worst thing you've ever had to do, as King?"

Fritz scowled before glancing to his daughter with a curious look.

"I know that...being in charge, leading means having to make hard choices. And sometimes, you have to do things for the good of Eldia that you don't like. I understand that. I just...don't know what those things might be," she answered solemnly.

Fritz paused in thought. He could tell her any number of things. Even how he originally sent Ymir to die in the forest. Or how he slaughtered so many Marleyans to send a message. Or any number of people he sent to be blood-eagled. But he didn't. Not because he didn't want to, but because they weren't the truth.

"Are you sure you're ready to hear that, Maria?" he asked warily.

"I don't know," she admitted softly. "But I want to know anyway."

Fritz remained silent for so long, she thought he might not answer.

"I killed a child, Maria."

The eldest daughter of Fritz paused, blinking at that blunt but impossible statement. That was terrible, true, but there had to be more to this story than that.

"He was about your age," Fritz continued, turning to see Maria's face go ashen. "Do you still want to know?"

"...Yes, Father. Please," she answered, grabbing her reigns tightly.

"There was a sickness in the lands. I had only become riek a few seasons ago. People died pitiful deaths in their beds, choking on their own blood, covered in festering boils. And there was this boy, limping towards our village. But even from that distance, we knew he had the sickness."

Maria watched her father grow silent.

"There are plenty of reasons people kill children, Maria. Sometimes just to hurt the parents, sometimes because they're a threat to your rule by existing. But that boy trekked for miles. Hoping for anything. And all I could give him, was to be struck down by a spear before he ever reached the village."

Maria trembled at the thought, the imagery her father painted.

"We used arrows to light his body on fire. Not even sure if he was dead before he caught fire. Because that was how we survived the sickness, we didn't let it in," Fritz said with a frown. "I don't regret a lot of the people I've killed or had killed, Maria. But that boy? After everything? I wished, at least, I could have given him a more peaceful death. A last meal and a warm bed."

"You..." Maria took a breath. "You did what you had to do, Father. If you hadn't, Eldia...might not be here today."

Fritz nodded. "I pray it is many years before you and your sisters have to consider such things, Daughter."

Maria smiled with familial love. "We do as well, Father."

"Come on. It's time we head back," he instructed, turning Blood Hoof around, Maria following after diligently.

"Father?" Maria called after. "Do you think I can be as good a reik as you one day?"

"Maria, when you're older, I expect you to kick in the teeth of anyone that suggests otherwise," Fritz said in a blunt form of affection.

Maria smiled. "I think Sheena would do it for me before I got the chance."

"Ha!"

Meanwhile

"Lady Ymir."

She turned from where she sat with her Rose and saw the young Wiseman, Hrimthur, offering a bowl to her. Sheena was next to him, and promptly retook her seat on the log. Ymir stared at the offered food for a few seconds before taking it.

"It's not much, but it is filling," Hrimthur stated conversationally. "We've been going over the plans for today's tests, would you like me to go over them?"

Ymir rose an eyebrow. This was starting to sound like one of the longer plans or strategies Fritz had to explain to her during the war against Marley. Often, he just had to tell her the general idea of what to do, and she did so. But some things needed to be done a bit more carefully, so the plans were explained to her more thoroughly before the fighting started.

Still, Fritz told her to listen to Hrimthur and the other advisors for these experiments. If he thought she needed to know today's plans in advance, than she supposed that would be for the best.

She nodded and began eating, while Hrimthur smiled for some reason. "Excellent. For today, we'll be starting with attempts to mold the walls you made yesterday."

Ymir glanced to him, hoping her question was easy to guess by her face. It was, by Hrimthur's expression.

"Well, we know you can, shall we say, re-bond with Flesh-Stone, but the uses of that were never experimented with, besides the Eldbru bridge," Hrimthur explained idly.

Ymir knew what bridge he spoke of. The Eldbru Bridge was first time they found out her powers had limits. She used her power as much as she could every day, for three days, making a massive bridge piece by piece. Every time, she would come out of the Titaness with a bit of blood coming from her nose and mouth. The third day, she vomited and passed out. Fritz avoided pushing her that much after that.

"Among other things," Hrimthur continued, recapturing her attention. "We'll be attempting to see how well Flesh-Stone can be molded after its already been "set" for lack of a better word, and if you can link two different walls together."

Ymir understood that all, more or less, but didn't see the point in telling her.

"Well, they're on their w-" Baugi started, only to scowl as he saw Hrimthur with the royal family.

Ymir might not have noticed it, but many of the soldiers nearby had stopped all other activities and were watching Hrimthur pointedly. Hrimthur noticed, however.

"Just conversing with Lady Ymir about the plans for the day," Hrimthur answered neutrally.

Rose and Sheena looked between the warrior and the advisor. While they noticed the tension in the area, they didn't understand it. The man seemed nice.

"Of course you are," Baugi said with an odd tone. "Shouldn't you and your lot be getting ready to leave for those tests soon? The King is on his way, after all."

"A valid point," Hrimthur accepted calmly, heading off into the town. "Until later, Lady Ymir."

Baugi looked from his retreating form, then to Ymir, who was finishing the last of her stew.

Before he might have said anything, a short scream interrupted them. Ymir was instantly on her feet at an alarming speed, all the men either on their feet or grabbing their weapons.

"Father! Father, stop. I'm fine," Maria's voice called as she came into view, carried by her father in both arms while she clutched her nose.

The soldiers relaxed some, if only because of Fritz's lack of alarm.

"Maria, are you okay?!" Rose called out in worry as she and Sheena raced over with worried looks, Ymir just ahead of them.

"What happened?" Ymir asked, looking her daughter over in distress.

The whole area went silent, save Maria's soft groans, as every warrior suddenly looked to the Titaness. For most of them, that was the first time they had heard her speak.

"Maria got her foot caught on the saddle dismounting. Landed on the ground, her nose first to the dirt," Fritz explained bluntly. "She'll be fine. She just need to sit down and pinch her nose for a bit."

Ymir sighed in relief, looking between her daughter and Fritz meaningfully.

Understanding her desire, Fritz allowed Ymir to take Maria in her arms. Despite her unassuming appearance, Ymir had no trouble holding the eldest of her children.

"Mother, please, I'm fine," Maria protested weakly as Ymir sat her down. Ignoring her protests, Ymir pulled up the bottom of her own dress, using a discarded knife near the camp fire to cut off a strip, using it to help clean and hold Maria's bloody nose.

"Baugi, go off and find the wisemen, tell them to send back one of the healers, to give Maria's nose a look over," Fritz instructed.

"Maria, are you okay?" Sheena asked softly, gazing up at the bloody nose with a sad kind of fascination.

"I will be," Maria said softly. "I'm sorry, Mother. I was excited when I saw you, and got careless. I should have been more careful."

Ymir didn't say anything, merely pulling Maria closer and stroking her hair.

"Now I'm ruining both of our clothes," Maria said in apology and shame.

"Not important. You are," Ymir said in a quiet, firm voice.

"Fritz, my reik, is it too bold to say she has the most beautiful voice I have ever heard?" Ullr questioned in astonishment.

"Only if you don't mind me telling your wife and daughter. Which one of them loved to sing again?" Fritz asked bluntly.

"I take the question back," Ullr conceded, knowing not to pick that fight.

Fritz watched his daughters around their mother, as Ymir held the cloth to Maria's nose firmly. He squinted his eyes. Was the sun playing tricks on him, or was there a small glow under that fabric?

"My King, you called for me?"

Fritz glanced back as he saw one of the wisemen approach with Baugi, before nodding to his family. The instruction obvious, the man moved to kneel down next to the Titaness and the princesses.

"Please let me look, Lady Ymir," he implored respectfully.

Ymir accepted the instruction, slowly removing the cloth. Maria winced but otherwise only wrinkled her nose. The healer tilted her head up, peering into the nostrils.

"Princess Maria, I'm going to touch your nose, to see if it's broken. Tell me if there is any pain," he informed, giving her an instant to prepare before placing his hand on the nose. He hummed and Maria blinked. "There doesn't seem to be any issue. Princess?"

"It feels...a lot better now," Maria admitted, somewhat surprised as well. "There, um, wasn't any steam, was there?"

"No, Princess. Sometimes, these wounds just bleed a lot before closing themselves," the healer assured, looking to Fritz with a nod. "She should be fine."

Normally, Fritz might have threatened the healer, but he was of the same opinion if not for the same reasons. "She'll be okay now, Ymir. You should head off with the wisemen."

Ymir nodded, leaning forward to kiss Maria on the head before placing her on the log, her sisters taking up spots on either side of her.

"Was the horse ride fun at least?" Sheena asked hopefully.

"Yes. We saw a honey badger," Maria informed with a smile.

"Do...do they eat honey?" Rose asked curiously.

Ymir walked away with the healer before glancing back to the girls. "Don't worry," Fritz said from next to her. "I'll keep an eye on her."

Ymir looked relieved at that before turning to leave fully.

"Any trouble while I was gone?" Fritz asked to Baugi.

Baugi glanced to the princesses, mindful of his volume. "Nothing this time."

Later

Ymir felt very, very stupid.

She knew she wasn't smart, but she didn't think of herself as a brainless fool. Until now, that is.

Today had started about how she expected: She had breakfast with Fritz and the children, listening to what he and the advisors wanted her to do today and then she rode out to turn into her Titaness form.

That was how she found herself at the test-walls she had created yesterday. The plan was simple: While they didn't expect her to finely craft entire structures like this, they did want to see if she could add on useable stairs for soldiers to get to the top of the walls. Ymir had her doubts she could make steps small enough for humans to walk up instead of climb, but she would try her best.

Or, she would, if she wasn't so stupid.

She forgot how to mold Flesh-Stone after she seperated from it! She had done it before, years ago, when she made the mountain-bridges. But she hadn't done that in at least seven, maybe eight years?

So, the enermous Titaness was currently on all fours, grasping one of the walls, and doing absolutely nothing because she couldn't remember how to do this!

She frowned to herself, thankful that the wisemen weren't geting impatient yet. But what would her master think? She didn't think he'd be disappointed that she couldn't make these steps at the right size, but because she couldn't remember how to do something they both knew she could do? He'd be displeased, maybe even angry with her. What would he do? He had been...different lately, towards her. Considerate? Curious? Patient? She didn't know, but she couldn't imagine it would stay if she failed like this.

Ymir came back to her senses, a segment of the wall crushed in her hand.

"Everything alright, Lady Ymir?!" one of the wisemen called up curiously.

"It's been nearly a full day since she made them," Hrimthur observed thoughtfully. "Maybe it can't be changed after so long."

"I suppose that makes sense," another mused, scratching at his beard. "We'll have to be more conservative with these tests then, or the area will be overrun with these Flesh-Stone walls."

"Should we tell King Fritz?" Hrimthur wondered allowed. "Or should we just-"

He paused as Ymir's giant hand hissed with steam, for an instant, before the large slab of stone turned into it less-solid, white state.

"Ah, there she goes," Hrimthur said with a smile.

Ymir felt a touch of relief at finally being able to reconnect with her Flesh-stone. It didn't drain her any to keep it in this malleable state, but turning it back to this state did feel like it drained some of her strength. Not enough to be of any concern, but it was there. She supposed she never noticed with the bridge because she had been adding to them immediately instead of just changing what was already there.

With that moment of worry out of the way, she fixed the damaged wall and began to mold it. Or try to at least, her hand cleanly swiping away a layer on the wall, then using one of her large fingers to push and mold the substance like it was clay. The curved indents shifted at her will, forming into straight lines to make a set of steps.

Three of the advisors approached when she retracted the oversized digit. She knew the verdict just by looking at the "steps" in relation to humans.

"These are definitely too big," one observed, looking at the stairs with each step being higher than his knee.

"Perhaps one of us should stay next to this wall?" Hrimthur suggested, wipping his brow from the heat the Titaness was currently giving off.

"Are you volunteering?" the other asked with a smirk.

Hrimthur just waved them off, looking up at the eyes of the Titaness. "Ready to try again, Lady Ymir?" he called up with a hand to his mouth.

Ymir quirked her head internally- as in, inside her giant body- as the man's clear intent to stay where he was, but didn't dwell on it. She focused on the flesh-stone, using her fingers to shorten the height of the steps. Having someone of normal sized helped a little, but...

Adding on something like stairs to the walls was, in a word, bothersome. She kept making the stairs too tall per step, even with someone standing nearby to remind her of the scale. But the comparison to a normal sized person helped at least a little. Putting battlements on the top of the walls was easy enough though.

Hrimthur stroked his chin at the steps, seeing that the stairs were shorter, but not by much. Still too high to reasonably be used regularly, let alone with weapons and equipment. It was becoming obvious that Ymir's amazing form was just too big to mold something for a single human to use, at least not quickly.

He was about to call up to her again, before the Titaness continued her work, shortening the steps again. And again. It took nearly half an hour, shortening the steps and adding more so that it would reach the top, but she did it nonetheless.

Finally, with her latest adjustments complete, Hrimthur stepped forth and started to climb the steps towards the top of the test-wall. The advisor grinned in satisfaction. "This is perfect, Lady Ymir!" he called up to her, descending down the steps as the others approached.

"So, it can be done," one of them noted in approval.

"A wall like this would take months or even years to complete," Hrimthur stated in excitement as he rejoined them. "But Lady Ymir could make and complete one in a day or two."

"I remember when it took her the better half of a month to complete a bridge," an older one stated with an amused snort, making Hrimthur frown.

Ymir listened to the animated discussion. She was surprised by their reactions. She thought they would be annoyed it took her so long to complete the steps. Instead, they actually seemed pleased.

"Okay, Lady Ymir, next we're going to try to connect two separate walls together," Hrimthur called up.

Ymir's Titaness form grabbed two different lengths of flesh-stone walls, pulling them together. The earth groaned as the structures were dragged across the ground. With some mental effort, she was able to meld them together. It took a bit longer before it became seamless, but it was successful in the end.

"Very good, Lady Ymir!" Hrimthur called on up in congratulations. "Now, let us try the next part."

She nodded, both forms of her. She held her arms wide apart, as wide as she could while nearly bowed down and keeping her hands near the ground. She looked upwards as she began to channel the flesh-stone, forming it into a curved wall, almost a half-circle. Leaning herself back up, she grabbed the center of the curve and use another burst of flesh-stone to form a straight line of wall that intersect with the curved wall, emerged from between her fingers.

"Interesting," Hrimthur mused, looking over his scrolls while tapping his chin.

"Careful, Hrimthur, you know she can only make nine a day," one of his peers cautioned.

"Stairs can be built on the old fashion way if needed, if making small changes will tire her out as much as the big one," another murmured.

Ymir continued to follow their instructions, trying not to let her mind wander to her Maria. Or Rose. Or Sheena. She couldn't keep her mind off Fritz, obviously, he told her to listen to these men after all.

She ultimately grew a tad frustrated with the task at one point and, instead of forming more stairs next to the side of the building, tried to make them descending away from the walls like a long, shallow ramp. Each step was a bit too wide, but one could make it up the walls well enough.

"Hmm. We'd definitely have to build more stairs on our own, but these would be useful all the same," Hrimthur said, nodding in appreciation as he stood at the top of one such set. "Lady Ymir, are you tired? We can take a break if you grow weary of this task."

Ymir had grown tired of killing, but fulfilling "tasks" was something she was used to. This was far more peaceful then other things she had to do in the past.

Somehow, her larger and terrifying form conveyed some of her feelings, Hrimthur nodding with a smile. "Very well, let's continue."

Eventually, it was time to stop for the day and head back to the village. Once more, Ymir emerged from her Titan and slid down it, Hrimthur bringing her horse closer even before she finished sliding down the hairs. She took the reigns with a nod before they all made their journey back.

"Mother, you're back!" Sheena called, racing over from the fire. "We're having deer tonight."

Ymir nodded as she slid off her horse, furrowing her brow as she looked to the rest of her children and noticed something important.

Maria was still wearing a bloody robe.

"Ymir, there's a lake nearby for you and the girls. I'm sure you would enjoy a dip, and Sheena will eventually insist on jumping into the river anyway," Fritz explained.

Ymir nodded in understanding, taking Sheena's hands as she collected her daughters.

"Ullr, you're in charge while we're gone," Fritz ordered. "Baugi and I will go along, just in case. Keep an eye on everyone. We'll be back before that deer is ready."

"Aye, King," Ullr acknowledged.

Ymir tilted her head. Her master was coming to make sure nothing endangered their children, because Ymir couldn't transform near them without killing them. He was bringing Baugi along as extra protection. Was there something to worry about or was he just concerned about their daughters and their safety?

She hoped it was the latter.

The lake was very closer by, and very small. More of a pond than anything.

As Ymir and her daughters disrobed for the waters, Fritz sat down with his back to a tree, his family at the corner of his eyes. Baugi was sitting on a stump.

"Baugi, I know you're not looking at my daughters, but you best not stare at Ymir right in front of me," Fritz warned causally.

"Wouldn't dream of it, King," Baugi assured with an almost distant voice. And not the pleasant kind of distant.

He glanced to Baugi and then followed his gaze. He wasn't looking at the bathing Titaness and princesses, but at the fields visible just beyond the trees from here. "What is it?"

"My father joined the tribe of Eldia after his own was destroyed. He took my brother and I to that field one day, telling me about the battle that ended them," Baugi explained grimly.

"Marley?" Fritz guessed expectantly.

"Yes. And no," Baugi answered with a frown.

Fritz paused, looking to the field again. "The Battle of the Great Veld. Where five tribes united to push back a legion of Marley. But one tribe sold them out, becoming "mercenaries" for Marley," he recalled darkly. "The Svikari."

"Damn them to Trellborg. May all the other Forts spit on them," Baugi growled.

"Pretty sure they're already there," Fritz said with an huff of dark amusement. "Marley would have sent them to their deaths against us early on."

"Good," Baugi said, before a scream of delight drew their eyes to the pond breifly, seeing the girls splashing innocently in the shallow water with Ymir watching. Baugi looked away, but caught Fritz smiling just a bit as his gaze lingered. "So, did you ever imagine you'd have only daughters?"

"I didn't care," Fritz admitted gruffly. "As long as they survived leaving the womb and their first winter, I didn't care if they were a boy or a girl."

Baugi grew silent at that for a moment. "Sheena is definitely your daughter though."

"Is there something you want to actually talk about?" Fritz asked bluntly. "Or do you just hate being sil-?"

Baugi stiffened but didn't move as Fritz stopped.

"Ymir!" Fritz called out suddenly. "We should head back. The food will be done soon."

He saw her nod but wasn't looking in her direction as they start to come out of the pond, wipping the water from their skin before grabbing the clean set of robes they had brought.

"How many, which way?" Baugi asked, resisting the urge to look around.

"Just one, right of the pond from here," Fritz answered tersely, glancing without turning his head and pretending to adjust his helmet. "Don't do shit until I make a move," he ordered as he casually lowered his hand as he pretended to start to get up.

Only, when he got to one knee, he quickly and skillfully threw his spear across the distance, hitting a tree with a shadow behind it.

The girls startled in alarm at the noise, Ymir looking to the spot instantly with alarmed eyes as something jumped away in alarm. Baugi was already drawing his sword and running towards the bushes and trees as Fritz walked over to his family.

"Father! What's happening?!" Maria askedi n alarm.

"Someone was watching us," Fritz answered coldly. "Stay close to your mother while we deal with this."

The girls grouped around their mother for protection and comfort, Ymir stroking their heads while letting her eyes wander around for any signs of movement, of danger.

After another moment, Baugi came back, all but dragging someone by their dark cloak. A rather old someone.

"It was just this old hag," Baugi explained, pulling the hood down to reveal an wrinkled face and white hair.

The tension in the air relaxed some. "You should be careful whom you intrude upon, crone."

The woman lowered her eyes. "I mean no offense, but I am no crone, O Reik of Reiks."

"Hmm? You know who I am?" Fritz asked in wary curiosity.

"I know the Titaness," she answered, nodding over her shoulder to Baugi. "And I knew this oaf could not be the Alareik."

If Baugi took offense to that, he didn't show it, eyeing her mistrustfully.

"State your name and business while I still have the patience to hear it," Fritz ordered dangerously, his daughters looking up at him in surprise or alarm.

"I live in a hut just outside this forest. I was beginning to wonder what all the commotion was," she answered, bringing her green eyes up to meet Frtiz's gaze. "I am Giri, a volva."

Volva is a term that was used to refer to many women of soft power in in the centuries before and after the founding of the Empire. The word had many potential meanings: Seeress. Prophetess. Sorceress. Witch. Priestess. Wisewoman. It is hard to label a Volva as any one of these things. It was said that these women were able to commune with the divine, see visions of the future, and practice a form of magic called "Seidr"

Regardless, they were considered figures to respect and heed to for hundreds of years. But the dawning of the Eldian Empire showed a sudden turn of opinion against those claiming the title of Volva. It is hard to say why, as many accounts of them have been conflated with stories of "Witches" with evil schemes against the Empire. They would be ostracized by the Empire for hundreds of years before public opinions began to level out. Some to this day claim to be volva, either as scam artists or genuinely trying to follow an ancient belief system.

End of Chapter

Well, that's another chapter. Bit o drama and tension, a bit of wandering down memory lane. Also, the Anime is finally over. Still not happy with the ending, but I'll be the first to admit it was better than the Manga.

Hope you all enjoyed the update, I missed working on this fic.

9. Alzhan

Alzhan Verified Purveyor of Culture

Oh! I remember this story. I had to reread some of the chapters to refresh my memory, but I'm glad it's back.

I wasn't able to comment this before without necroing, but I love the inclusion of the historical record excerpts. I always love it when a character or place is referenced in the future, it really feels like the characters are creating history (which they are)

Tammin and Hypervane like this.
  10. Akumakami64

Akumakami64 Experienced.

Thank you! It was a sudden idea I had a few chapters in, a way to give a bit of context/expansion to a topic in the setting while also potentially giving a peak of how the future has shifted away from canon. Incidentally, they're also the last thing I do each chapter- after I get done with a chapter, I figure out two pieces of information that would be the most intriguing to expand on. Sometimes that's explaining how the Jarn are Eldia's very real version of Amazons, sometimes that's about how ostriches got worked into Eldian wedding traditions.

11. Hypervane

Hypervane "Magic Eight Ball, Lend Me Your Wisdom."

Just popping in to to also share my appreciation of this fic! It's a damn shame that it's got so few views on this site. If you're putting it up anywhere else like Ao3, I hope you get more traction there. This is great stuff!

And that last historical fact makes me nervous about what this Volva will do. It could just be that their powers seem feeble in the face of the Paths, or that Fritz listens to the Volva and things go horribly wrong, leading to a lasting dislike among the royal family. Really hope things keep going well for this family. Tbh, it sorta feels like a found family fic even though they're all literal family.

Also very excited about Ymir potentially sharing her Titanhood with Maria to heal her broken nose. Titan transformations are just iconic, and I'm sure the circumstances in which Maria would transform are going to be very dramatic!

Tammin likes this.
  12. Akumakami64

Akumakami64 Experienced.

I actually do have it oposted on Ao3 AND FFN. It actually gets the most traction on FF- or it did. FF is having email problems for the past month now, so nobody sees update alerts. Ao3 gets it decent attention, but not much.

And yeah, things are about to get interesting.

Tammin and Hypervane like this.