• A notice about Rule 3 regarding sites hosting pirated/unauthorized content has been made. Please see here for details.
  • Staff is working to deal with the problem of synonymous tags. See here for more information and to suggest tag mergers.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.

Sakku's hall of snippets and recursive goodness

Created
Status
Incomplete
Watchers
7
Recent readers
33

Frankly, just stories I don't want to worry too much about, because for the moment, I'm having fun with the limited time I have.
Day Training - (Project Moon - OCs) New

Sakku

Getting out there.
Joined
Dec 14, 2025
Messages
24
Likes received
1,504
"Is everything at work alright?" was what pulled him out of my reverie. He nearly choked on the stir-fry leftovers they had for breakfast. Thankfully it was shrimp.

He didn't know if he could handle meat.

"What was it, Chae-Yeong?" He said, grabbing some water and downing it to clear my pipes.

"I don't know. You seem distant since you finally are out of the trial period. Are you doing alright?" She looked at him with her big black eyes with clear concern, and as always, when he felt like lying to her, he looked at her right in the eyebrow, like he would a stranger.

"I'm fine. It's just… you know how working for a Wing is. First incident in recorded history six months ago… they're on our asses right now," He blurted out the answer, a crooked smile on his lips.

"Hm," she grunted, clearly unsatisfied.

"Maybe if someone would give me enough sleep, I'd have a better performance review at work…"

It was her turn to choke and to turn beet red, she drank with desperation to clear the congestion in her throat. He chuckled, he still had it. He finished and put the dishes in the washer before walking to the door.

"Get me those Andong Jjimdak from the little shop near your office!" She shouted while he was putting his shoes on and grunted in confirmation. He knew exactly which one she was talking about. It was the one the visitors would enjoy to get access to some District 23 street food. It wasn't the District of flavor for nothing.

He wasn't a native. Not like her. When he managed to get into this Nest, six months ago, the only thing that made him stay was the promise of gainful employment and safety. Now, it was her, only her. Four months ago, he had cleared the written and physical exams somewhere ahead of the pack. He'd been informed about it three weeks ago, as he was still working in the convenience store where he met her. They had a two-week training program.

Two weeks ago, he watched some tapes and memorized three employee manuals that made Chae-Yeong's need for physical affection a much-welcomed escape.

He emerged from their relatively comfortable study apartment to the actual corridor of their complex. The smell of smoke and distant rot, mixed with the remnant of his meal, assaulted his nose. He frankly didn't care. It was better than out there, on the backstreets, where piss, the acidic tang of garbage and the greasy cling of dead bodies dominated.

No need to worry about that though. It was always humid in District 23, with all the vapor coming from the kitchens and restaurants, especially at this time of day. The very dawn was when the kitchens preparing themselves for the lunch rush were beginning their preparations. Washed down in blue light, he'd never guess that the sun was soon to rise. The high-rise made it almost impossible.

He only had forty minutes of walking to do in the most crowded part of the streets, looking discreetly behind his back, to find his way towards the biggest, most important building, the one where two proud arrows of azure crossed and formed a W.

He sighed. It was likely that he wouldn't be seeing the sun setting either that workday. Shame.

He took a deep breath and walked towards the automatic door. They opened, he entered.

He had to blink away the sudden change in color, or rather in light level. Dull blue neon light was replaced by the energetic white of a sanitized train station and the constant movement of people. Him? He wasn't going in the trains. Nope.

He made a beeline for a door marked with "employees only", scanned his employee card, and entered. Of course, the card wasn't actually linked to his clock. He'd only be fully clocked in when he'd be in the full W.corp cleanup crew panoply, which included another internal identifier that would then let him pass the Cleanup crew only doors. Then, and only then, would he be able to clock in, which is why he'd needed to do that quickly.
Chit-chat would only happen on the company's dime, while he was being productive. He saluted some people idly passing by, and went to the locker room. Frankly, divesting himself didn't take that long. The standard W.corp Cleanup crew panoply was also thankfully made of pretty good fabric and plates. A cap, a long shirt, a necktie, gloves, pants, a belt, combat boots, and some pouches for equipment, ammo, and first aid. All in the black, gray, and blue of the company.

He retrieved his trade tools, their holster secured to his belt. He let the identifier on his assigned body armor open the door for him, and he was in.
Once again, to be in a world completely awash with blue.

"Confirming: L1 Agent, Paris, present on the platform. Next train arrival in… 200 seconds. Please join your team at dock 7A"

7A?! That was literally on the other side of the facility. Oh no.

He ran like hell. Of course, he was clocked in, but his performance rating was still very much at play there! He couldn't afford to be fired, never!
"Caution: L1 Agent Paris, please check in at Dock 7-A. Next arrival in 150 seconds," he heard the clerical voice follow him through the PA system.
He growled, keeping as much of his breath as he could allow himself to while raging against the absolutely gigantic architecture of polished metal floors and blue neon lights he had to navigate. In another reality, he would be thankful that his job kept him physically active. It made it almost worth it. Almost.

"Caution: L1 Agent Paris, please check in at Dock 7-A. Next arrival in 90 seconds," he heard again when the ghost of a smile crept on his features, killing it instantly.

He had finished traversing the Dock 6 ensemble, eight linked docks where he could already see people prepare for the morning rush. His team was in view. He could see one of his teammates wave his hands towards him.

The whole new feather sprinted and high-fived the waiting arm of his senior, who giggled at the rolling eyes of his new chief. Personally, he also found the unnaturally positive, and dare he say immature, attitude of his colleague to be irritating. But it was his senior. And as a junior, it was one of his responsibilities to indulge his more experienced colleagues.

"Hey there, buddy! Ready for a brand new day?" L2 Warp Corp clean-up crew agent Candide asked him completely genuinely. Paris had known him for only a week and couldn't fathom the taller man to ever be ironic… Or be anything other than the human incarnation of a Golden Retriever.

"I can try," answered the newbie, shaking his head and saving his breath. He had… 70 seconds before the next train appeared, and it would be a pretty high-intensity marathon as soon as the doors opened.

"Almost late," she who he would call his boss touted. She was a bit taller than him, though he frankly didn't mind. He was middling in height, always had been, and was used to seeing people taller and smaller than him. Impeccably dry-cleaned clothes and polished armor, she was the pigtailed corporate drone he needed to watch out for. Well, not really. He was just sure that she was some sort of tattletale. She had been one of the people responsible for the newbie's orientation and formation, meaning that he got to know her for three weeks.

His high score on the entrance exam had warranted her attention. Had he known, he would have tried to be middling there too, or refuse.

"Jeanne-nim, the company manual does mandate that an agent of the W Corp's clean-up crew isn't late to care for their passenger before thirty seconds ante-arrival-"

"Provided that the highest-ranked employee doesn't also want to modify the team roster one day prior, which I did by adding another one of the 'promising' recruits of this batch, which gives us fifty seconds ante-arrival, as per Motion 5 of Article 3 of the last edition of the employee's manual, as found in the fifth employee's letter," she announced proudly and smugly, giving him a regulation he already knew by heart. "It is, however, good that you know the standard regulation, rookie."

If he hadn't already gotten what kind of person Jeanne was, he would have asked why he hadn't been notified. He had wizened up about her on his second day, and… she was L3. She was the reason why he knew all of those by heart already, she had quizzed him. Maybe that was why Candide seemed to always be the first to arrive.

"Oh, where's the rookie? Is it her first day?" Candide asked, eager to get another friend.

"Just… in time," Jeanne supplied, looking at her watch.

A young woman in standard L1 gear and two space-ripping daggers cleared from the crowd, winded.

"Oh, hi Tanit," he said to one of his table neighbors from his two weeks of formation. Apparently, Jeanne poached her from her previous team.

"Yay! More B.S. !!!" Candide shouted, almost jumping in joy.

Paris really didn't see how he could manage that with 45 seconds until the next clause in their NDA.

"Introductions are in order! Level 3 agent of the esteemed Warp Corporation Clean-up Branch, Jeanne, responsible for Squad A-P0-C." Began the boss, holding her ripper-polearm a bit straighter while she puffed up with corporate pride.

"Oh! It's my turn!" Candide performed a relaxed military salute with his ripper-gloves. "Well, I'm L2 Wcorp agent Candide! I love doing anything!" He said with his usual enthusiasm. Paris could swear he could see his eyes twinkle.

"Well, my turn. L1 Paris," he said, completing the assignment without satisfying either Jeanne's need for corporate talk or Candide's enthusiasm. Brevity was the soul of his wit. He raised a single eyebrow towards the all too calm rookie. She had begun exactly as soon as he did, why was she so calm, especially after changing teams so soon? There was an angle he wasn't seeing.

There had to be a reason. She'd reveal herself sooner or later. People revealed themselves through what they did when exhausted.
"Welp, Hi. Tanit. Level 1, all that. I guess I'm the most junior on this team, even though I began at the same time as Paris." Again, too relaxed. He was brief but correct. She either didn't read the rule or didn't care about proper introductions.

"Caution: Dock 7-A. Train arrival imminent. 20 s. Estimated state: Delayed."

"Well! Good, an early test of our capacities as a team! Now, Tanit," she began to ask, with her eyes closed, "Can you cite the five levels of threat from the returning passengers once a Warp train arrives at its destination?"

That was an obvious one; it was always the first thing she grilled you about. Of course it was useful since knowing the estimated threat levels could obviously save your life.

"Huh… Unobstructed, Delayed, Congested, for which we need to call L4s, and then Cancelled and Derailed, but only L5s do that since it has Grade 1 fixer-level threats inside."

Not to be said that while the train station system could estimate a provisional threat level based entirely around the identity of the paying clients (if they bothered to give their real one), a growing phenomenon made it less and less indicative of the real threats the agents would find inside a docked train on its way for the grand return to the station after its eon-long voyage.

The actual threat rating was done by the agents themselves, and could easily go up or down. It only took one combat-capable person with the right tools… and a routine cleanup could become a disaster.

"Hm, good enough," Jeanne simply commented, looking at her watch. Of course, she would have wanted the whole tirade, which she could then interrupt and then give her some well-prepared speech about the usage of time. All full of well-picked and very exact corporate jargon. He knew it because it's what she did with him. Tanit had avoided the trap, all to Jeanne's disappointment.

"Caution: Dock 7-A, Opening door to the train. Please proceed."

The train appeared into view with barely a sound, just the grunt of settling metal and the displaced air. 10 wagons, 40 seats per wagon. Thankfully, they sold 50 first-class seats, so in truth, only 350 passengers to be accounted for between the four of them, about 88 each.

What it actually meant was that they needed to enter from the first-class cars, then strike hard and keep the momentum going before the passengers could think of establishing barricades or organizing some defenses. They were told that after 20 000 years without stimulation, the inhabitants of the trains had much reduced brain activity, but the threat classification system told him that it was a corporate half-truth at best.

The door to the first-class car opened. They went in running. It was simple, they had three seconds to enter the train before it could warp again. Yes, it did that. It was an essential part of the process. The shifting between the dimensions really wasn't the most energy-hungry part of the process. According to the employee handbook (second volume), it was the maintaining of the memory-field inside the train itself.

They got in, they warped back into the pocket time. Now, they had as much time as they would ever need. If there ever was a major discrepancy with the provisional threat level, they could request some aid.

The first class cars smelt like a hospital. It was chilly too. The new edition of the employee's handbook had an addendum about the possibility of complications for the first-class passengers. Just in case.

It also meant that they now informed about a lot of the machines' processes. From the chemicals, their possible interactions, their intended effects, to the circuitry of the machine. Of course, it had been part of the exam. At the time, he didn't know why.

Now he knew, and was tasked to verify that everyone was in their proper place and in one piece. It was a quick check. Five minutes in total.

Without having to be told to, he punched out a hidden panel and began typing his corporate ID and password to identify himself, allowing the train to fully communicate back with the station. It had been part of the exam too, and of their post-exam. He engaged the connection, then checked the vitals of all of his passengers. 19 out of 50 hibernation pods online. The indicator of a possible future downsizing. Not great.

At least, all of the passengers were left unmolested. Good, no need to try and apply the nightmare of PR-protecting maneuvers that was apparently the logical conclusion of his job. It was written in legalese so obscure and dense that he didn't understand it. At all.

He had been considering asking Jeanne about it, but her fluency in legalese meant she was currently drowning Tanit with corporate slop while explaining what he was currently doing and, of course, the rules. It could be explained in such simple terms… Corporate always had a way to make something simple sound like rocket science.

The technical details weren't that important, it was more about operational security, then making sure that they had everyone and that they were right in their seats when the train came back from its great voyage, making sure you were logged off and fully out of the train, then sending it back in the seconds that remained.

Thousands of people routinely got to work on time thanks to their services.

"ID complete, Jeanne-nim, the first-class passengers are all accounted for and undisturbed," he announced with the minimum amount of enthusiasm required, preparing his weapon.

"Good, then let's move in synergistic fashion. Tanit and Paris, you will assist Candide and me in liquidating the first fourteen cars, then you'll let us clear the rest of the delay. You will put every one of our dear passengers in their seats to begin the returning process. Am I clear?"

"Yes, boss!" they all shouted, activating their weapons in a flash of blue. He strung his bow with a push of a button, making it taut.

Paris prepared his breathing mask and didn't wait to put it on. It was normally in regulation to put it on after one would hear the hiss of the airlock between the first class and the economy class, but he really didn't care for that special blend of 'all the fluids present in a human and allowed to macerate for thousands of years'.

On his first train, when it was just Jeanne, Candide and him, he had been tasked with opening the airlock. The hot, damp, and fetid air had blown right into his open mouth when he was reciting procedure. He vomited and couldn't eat for the rest of the day. Had chewed him off for that, of course. But rather than take a W Corp-branded vomit bag like she had advised him to, he took out the mask a few seconds earlier than tasked for, and he breathed in the plastic-flavored air as deeply as he could.

The door hissed audibly, and Tanit grimaced, but didn't quite flinch. No need for a mask with her. Jeanne and Candide put their own masks on and waited, on guard, for the five seconds that followed for the airlock to completely equalize the pressure and open.

With a squelching of flesh, it opened. Tendons and muscles, glued with grit and time, ripped and let a body fall, revealing a massacre in the train. The remains of the passengers were caking the walls, ceiling, and floor in a very thorough and almost artistic manner. In fact, some of them were sewn together so as to represent a new inhuman shape of contorted bodies, kept together and stretched to their very limits. It looked like a tree that was silently screaming in agony. No eyes. They were either crushed or lodged somewhere else. He sincerely hoped they didn't shove their eyes in their cavities to try and see inside.

Anyway, that was sadly just the habitual result of a prolonged stay in an enclosed environment with no hint of any stimulation or need. A jungle of red.

"No assailant so far. Car one out of twenty-eight secure," declared Jeanne with pride.

"No traps?" asked Tanit.

"Nah, not their style when they do obvious arts and crafts like those! It's more of a worship-place!" Candide replied while cutting through the construct with his space-ripping gloves, displacing and parting tendons and tensioned meat like it was air through cuts in the fabric of space itself in great blue and purple gashes.

"Way's open, misses and gentlemen! Let's get to it!"

Paris took a deep, sterile-smelling breath, took a blue-tipped arrow from his quiver, and drew the bow.

Tanit ran and flashed her identifiers on a hidden part of the wall that allowed her to keep cover.

The door opened. Paris saw one of the passengers. A red shape. He loosed the space-ripping arrow.

A line of purple-tipped blue distortion followed and impaled one of his clients, passed right through, and opened a massive gash, losing its charge and getting stuck into another one of the creatures. No fusions. No weapons. Good.

Ten inside. Either they hadn't migrated, or they had claimed a territory, this. Given that an estimated 65 to 70% of all civilian passengers were used as wall decoration according to Warp Corp statistics, the second option was likelier. That still left an estimated 100 to 120 people to neutralize at each boarding.

Jeanne and Candide followed the arrow. Tanit followed them. The clients screamed in animalistic fashion. What could they do against prepared W Corp specialists?

Candide went in first and initiated with a hook from his right, separating five of them. The one he clocked got ripped in half, eliminating it. Jeanne cleaved through 3 at once with a single swing of her charged polearm. Deep light-blue, she was confident since she was overcharging her weapon. Tanit gave it her all, she ran and gave her own target a double slice in the torso, cutting right where the chest muscles should be, then activated her weapons to cut even deeper. She went through like butter, but continued and capitalized on her momentum, reversed her grip, and in a circular, almost dance-like motion, nailed another one right in the head, decapitating it.

No weapons, likely no strategy. There was something weird at play, but Paris wasn't paid to think about the future. He was paid to act in a synergistic fashion with his team. There were only three left. Paris struck, the things had mostly kept to the walls. In turn, his team had converged to the walls of the very spacious wagons. This meant that he had carte blanche when it came to loose arrows. He had two. The first one went right into a passenger's leg, it discharged, severing it cleanly and making them fall. The second got his client in the back, cutting right into the spine.

Candide was implacable. He kicked the wall he was near to give himself momentum, and did it with such force that he completely repulsed a circle of flesh a meter in diameter that had been coating it. He flew towards the falling passenger and kicked it right in the head, decapitating him.

Adjusting his cap on his head, the L2 cleanup agent smiled with all his teeth and slid on the well-worn floor to intercept the third inhabitant of the train. He charged his fist with blue energy and hit the poor thing right in the center of the back. Hard enough to hear an audible crack of glass as space itself was fractured through the power of this single punch. The passenger was left in viscous shards while the deep indigo hole in reality closed itself. Jeanne ran and decapitated the last paralyzed passenger just a second later.

The door to the next railway car opened itself alone (bad sign), and a hulking monster with a cloak of human skins for sole garment revealed itself, accompanied by a pack of other feral-looking people. Likely one of the reasons the train was delayed.

With Candide in front, Paris was at a very bad angle to shoot. The big one growled and tried to grab at the lanky man. Not a great move. Candide dropped to dodge, put one hand on the ground, and pushed. The space-ripping boots nicked one of the arms right in the bone too. The creature flinched. Paris narrowed his eyes. It had enough sense to make sense of combat and consider risks to itself.

Tanit and Jeanne were otherwise occupied destroying the chaff. He didn't bother to count the normal ones. They'd fall fast, standard passenger. The archer jumped to a seat and, standing on the top rails, found an angle. He loosened the arrow. He made it curve downward more than usual. The arrow lodged itself in the thing's guts and opened the abdominal cavity, to its roar of pain and anger. Great… gut shots were debilitating for the clients.

"Don't worry, buddy, I got this!" Candide shouted to himself, dodging a febrile strike from the big guy, then dancing back to avoid a small one that wanted to get him from behind before kicking it in four. Children were always a pain to clean up…

"A bit of help here?" asked Tanit, trying to staunch what seemed to be a near-unending tide of very energetic attackers. She and Jeanne were nearly overwhelmed.

"Coming!" He shouted. He braced himself and tried to jump out, already reaching for his standard Warp baton.

He felt something tug at his leg and fell in a flash of pain and fear, making him lose his bow. Shit! One of the passengers, an unnaturally elongated one that he had thought to have been assimilated into the wall, you know, as part of the DECOR, had grabbed him by the leg and was now running towards Car 1 with a wheezing laugh.

"Ambush type !" He screamed. His voice was lost in the melody of a massacre of fighting, feeling the fear rising. He felt the sleek floor stain his back. In a panic, he tried to reach toward his baton. He couldn't get to it. The lanky passenger screamed and threw him at the wall with a gurgle.

He got the wind knocked out of him and fell on waiting arms. The mask fell from his face, hitting him with the wet smell of the train's inside all at once. They tried to rip at his uniform with their nail-less fingers, caked in blood and old sweat and other fluids that refused to leave their owner. They tried and failed just long enough for him to reach his baton. They were thankfully too far gone to grab him by the arm.

He drew the baton and cut in a restrained arc, freeing himself before giving up on manners and tackling the one that thought he could be so easily grabbed. They were light. They always were when they were altered that way. Black anger rose in his chest, burning inside, and he struck the struggling creature in the head with the baton. Again and again and again, space ripping to the lowest level, just to feel the shock reverberate in his baton. Again, it hurt. The thing barely moved anymore. Again, until the brain exploded out of the brain case and he had trouble feeling his arm. His shoulder hurt, so did his back, but that's why he had armor. Shit, the others! He ran to the other wagon to see the fight continuing.

He sprinted, jump-kicked one of the passengers that was beginning to get curious with his bow, and used his movement to ride the unfortunate creature like a surfboard on the slimy metal floor of the wagon. Baton well in hand, he overcharged it and cracked the first head that came in view, before stomping on the head of his living vehicle.

"Be wary of the wall, they're type 3," Paris said to the two girls, weaving in and out of the client's strike before retaliating.

Tanit groaned and cut her next victim. Jeanne didn't, but she twitched before bisecting a whole group of them in a single, seemingly effortless arc of space-ripping. A true veteran. Everyone hated type 3 walls. They were shit to spot during the theory exams, and shittier to spot and deal with in real life. Because you never know if they're just decorations, traps, or predators lying in ambush.

Paris felt the raking motion of one of these things grating its finger on his body armor and retaliated by hitting it in the arm, severing it, then another hit right on the cheekbone.

"Buddy!" Candide shouted, him and his brute had moved. Paris turned around to see his bow flying towards him. Candide dodged a devastating strike from the monster. The archer grabbed it with one hand, used its space-ripping limb to brain another of the aggressive passengers in a single night-blue arc, used the momentum to turn on himself while drawing, lowering his center of gravity and pushing more charge than he ought to into that arrow. The arrow had a small capacitor inside.

What corporate didn't tell people, but he discovered himself, was that one could overcharge them. Losing arrows was expected in fights. A 100% retrieval rate wasn't expected of him (though anything less than 70% per train would be docked from his salary…). Overcharging was very bad for the arrows. You didn't want to do it unless you were very confident in your timing. He was pretty sure that he was hitting a sweet spot just before the arrow became so overcharged that it would just detonate and kill him.

Arms shaking and fear set deeply in his sick belly, he loosed the arrow. It ignited in the atmosphere of the train, severing and rending space itself on its way to the musclebound passenger. It tried to dodge, to its credit, it almost had the reaction time necessary to avoid this attack. But it was too big to do so. The arrow went deeply into the thing's reinforced muscles, and in the sound of a great shattering of glass, three-dimensional spiderwebs and great cracks exploded outwards in a flash of deepest purple. The fabric of the very cosmos was revealed to all in a spectacle of impaling light, and then it collapsed in on itself in a great clap of wind, making the giant explode.

"Thanks, buddy!" Candide said, bouncing again to avoid yet ANOTHER ambushed passenger and giving it a spinning kick of untold power that made its head spin in its neck. The veteran gave the archer two thumbs up and an encouraging smile before charging towards the fray.

Paris searched for a calm place within his mind, one that had olive trees and the scent of the sea, and part of him retreated there while continuing his job. They continued and pushed on their momentum. The plan to leave the other two at Car 14 was abandoned, since the environment was apparently too hostile to afford isolating the two least experienced workers. But finally, after two hours of grueling fighting… they secured it. The train was completely empty of all moving life. They had taken a rest at Car 13, for a 'team-building 5-minute pause' as Jeanne put it.

Paris had lazed about for 5 minutes, filthy with blood and other sticky substances that thankfully couldn't pass the waterproof layer of insulation his uniform granted him. Unfortunately, that also meant that he was sticky with sweat. His own, at least.
They never got as much resistance as the big lad in Car 2. He must have been something akin to the chief, or some form of top-order predator in this train's ecology.

With one last fall of the glaive, Jeanne had finished off the last one standing.

"Confirming: Railway status, Unobstructed, Team AP-0-C, next departure in 5min, please complete cleanup ASAP," they heard from the train's announcement system.

They could finally do their actual jobs. Given that what they did inside the train happened instantaneously, it also meant that they had all the time in the world to do their actual job. Then a five-minute pause before the next train would arrive. Their tools were actually meant to part passengers from each other in case of a fusion or if they had decided to fuse.

His was an innovative iteration on the Warp Corp philosophy. This yet unnamed phenomenon of professional combatants enjoying a ride in their economy class rather than the first-class meant that they needed to be more aggressive and have some agents with tools specialized in all ranges. Or say, had Jeanne said with her eyes closed and a tear threatening to escape them while she recited the corporate scripture with diligent fervor.

Cleanup was… frankly less disgusting than anything else. They just needed to make piles and use their handheld analyzers to verify that the meat and fluids they scooped up were genetically identical to the code that had secretly been registered on the seat. This was busy work, but thankfully, Jeanne's obsession with efficiency and "going above and beyond quotas" meant that she was also thinking for the four of them. They didn't need all of their client to reconstitute them. Thankfully, only 80% of the initial mass was necessary to have a full recovery.

One problem, however. In car 9, the passengers had apparently developed a culture of… plastering other people into the walls and furniture. To the point that a thick meat moss had been deposited, and intestines hanging like loose jungle vines.

Paris sighed when he saw what they had to separate, sort, and then bring back to their rightful place. Jeanne put a firm hand on his back.

"Time to show corporate the high standard this team was built from," she announced to her underling.

"Meaning that you chose me based on my exam results to… sort tangled bodies?" he asked, baffled and still winded some.

"A major part of our production pipeline!" she insisted with a satisfied smile, making him frown discreetly. She saw that. He knew. Few things escaped her gaze. "And think about it, if we perform well this quarter, we'll be rewarded with the highest honor the company can grant us."

"Which woul-"

"Yes! A one-of-a-kind Warp Corp-sponsored pizza party!" She said with uncontained excitement and longing, actual stars dancing in her amber eyes.

He decided to shut up and get to work, leaving his boss to rave about pipelines and leveraging. That was train one out of… he didn't want to think about it. Nor about the unavoidable team-building exercise Jeanne wanted them to perform at the end of the week.

Eventually, they got to clean up that train. It was in Paris' dubious honor to activate the patented Warp Corporation singularity, which would begin restoring their passengers into a completely pristine state, turning back the clock for 20 whole thousand years, erasing all these years and leading them exactly to the state they were in when they boarded.

They made their exit through the first-class entrance, and as soon as they did, the identifiers stopped pinging from the inside of the train in subspace, leading it to finalize its travel.

Paris pulled up one of the screens of the Dock. It had live footage of their passengers, hearty and hale, completely unaware of what had transpired. A good few of them had been children, excitedly following their parents out of the stomach of the metal worm.

He didn't want to think about that. He lowered his cap on his head and followed his team, walking toward their next work objective. It was announced to be Unobstructed for now. It could easily change.

"Ten seconds to anywhere," Paris recited their slogan, looking a bit bitterly at the Wcorp logo.

He had fought with all his might to land this job. He didn't know if he would have, had he known.



I tried to bridge the gap to see if that could fit in the Project Moon universe.

At first, I only wanted to examine the thoughts of a relatively normal guy needing to do this job. I ended up with a team of violent corporate idiots.
I love them all. Dunno if there's going to be more parts of it.
I just like imagining that the climax of this story would be a Derailed train. See what kind of chaos that would need.
 
Last edited:
Grumpy to be in this wonderful world (Konosuba SI) New
Apparently, there was some kind of deep misunderstanding.

The… girl in front of me was deeply confused, and I was asking myself if that was one of those prank shows. It seemed like the perfect set-up. Imagine, if you will, I get a vacation to Japan in winter and decide, like the boss that I am, to do some mountaineering. Nothing better, after all, than watching the world from up high, especially in a country that was so famous for its mountains. Of course I planned to go and do some weebery, but that would come after relieving the country of some of its rocks.

Well… it went perfectly well, and I even had a great photo to show the class when I'd come back. I dodged some terrifying rock slide on the way, but it just helped to make me even more motivated. I was in a great mood, so I decided to try another Japanese cultural institution: The onsen. I liked the hamams and the saunas. I needed to know how enjoyable bathing in hot spring water would be. I approached the water, ready to get in and then…

"Ma'am?" I heard someone ask. Of fucking course, even here of all places I had to be taken for a- I remembered that I fell. Only to open my eyes in a dark void.
Lights on.

And there we went, with the confused girl in blue and me. As naked as the day I was born, quickly trying to hide something, anything, to keep a minimum of modesty intact.

"I really need to get a raise if I need to send so many weirdos per century…" she muttered.

"… Where am I?" I asked, voice… surprisingly clear

And there, like a light bulb suddenly lit up inside her head. Her closed fist fell on her open palm, gently.

"Oh yeah! You're new!" She cleared her throat. "So... Welcome to the afterlife, mortal! My name is Aqua, and I'm the Goddess in charge of Earth!" She said, colors

Talk about a clash of theology. My heart sank a bit.

"There are three choices for you! You could go to heaven because you've been pretty good, we could reincarnate you into a rich and loving family that would allow you to completely ignore the part where you need to climb the social ladder at all that… Or you could go as you are, to a world of adven-"

"Heaven, please," I said with little hesitation.

"Wait, but you didn't let me finish!"

"I'd like to go to Heaven, please," I repeated. If we were going to have to… live in a polytheist reality (fucking ew), I was going to take something that would be beneficial to me. The rich life was interesting, but nothing said that I wouldn't waste my life there, if the family really was that rich and doting. And… come on, we've all read isekais, we knew where it ended. In horrible harems with girls all too young for my taste that would fall all too easily and dress with very little modesty.

If I was particularly unlucky, I would end up as some kind of monster, to be hunted down by polite civilization and forced to become a bad guy. Or worse, I could be stuck with a society of people I despise. Couldn't be me.

"Wait! You're not Japanese, right?" she asked. And yeah, my naked form wasn't exactly the prototypical Japanese man, but I liked to imagine myself as some sort of cosmopolitan man down to the genome.

"No, I'm not Japanese," I answered the heretical deity.

"Well! Well, it's easy, heaven as you know it is not the reality! There's a ton of scantily clad girls and you have no body at all! All you can do is bask in the light and look! Do you really want that?!"

Oh… was that panic I felt? I felt the familiar rush, one that told me to rage against the heavens. And now, I wasn't against a united heaven, but a single easily flustered goddess.

"Ok, let's admit that heaven is the wrong choice. What prevents me from just wanting to reincarnate then?"

"Well… I mean, you never know! Besides, wasn't Earth really boring?"

"Heh, there's worse than having a happy, fulfilled life, don't you think? And because you seem very focused on girls, if I really want to get it on, I'm sure I'll have a lot of choice. And if I'm intelligent as well, it's going to be even better. Wouldn't that be more fulfilling than a life of adventure ?"

"What the heck, aren't you supposed to be a nerd?!"

"I'm an adult nerd, nerd. With a job, dead dreams, and responsibilities. Also the capacity to think about something else but my dick. Waaaait…"

I approached her, glaring at her.

"You're using teenage males. You're used to them, you pervy goddess, you're desperate to send them. Where are you sending Earth's souls ?"

"Well, if you'd let me finish!" She pushed me away and got back on her throne. "I propose you a world! A world threatened by a Demon lord! The classic adventure with companion AND-"

"-Oh no…"

"-A cheat skill or object as well!…" She continued, which I quickly ignored. I also lowered my gaze. She was really enthusiastic about this part of her rehearsed speech, and she put one of her legs on her throne. She wasn't wearing anything down there.

Anyway, I knew it. She was trying to sell me the classic isekai slop. Which, you know what? It was almost tempting to have in real life. Almost. I liked my life a bit too much to care about it. But apparently, I was dead, so there wasn't a lot of life to enjoy anymore. Shit. That meant I wouldn't be able to give Mom that souvenir I bought in Kyoto… Or see her at all. Or my dogs… I was less sad about that. Dogs were fun, but I disliked the slobber and the responsibility. A lot. Fuck. Ok, I was the belly of the beast, it was time to concentrate and rage against the heavens, not be depressed.

Ok. This Aqua was very much some sort of metaphysical bureaucrat that used teenagers because they were easy to manipulate, and focused on tropes they were familiar with to send them to do her bidding and kill that Demon Lord. I didn't like to imagine fifteen to seventeen-year-olds having to endure the possibility of war. Or worse. Shit… I didn't like what they'd do to the populace either. Teenagers with cheat skills would be terrifying. Or ridiculous.

"Aqua," I interrupted her again, stopping her shilling of what seemed to be her church.

"What?" she asked, cranky.

"I'll go to this world. Under two conditions."

"What do you mean conditions? I don't see you asking your god for conditions!"

"I could also speak to your manager. I really don't think you're doing your job right, and I'd like to be reassured. We're talking about the fate of nothing less than my immortal soul, after all," I said with my best customer service smile.

She smiled, a little shyer.

"There's really no need, you know."

"So you'll agree to my two tiny conditions. They're not that big, ridiculous even for a goddess," I said.

"I mean…"

"But I'm sure your manager would be more amenable to giving me those concessions after all… I mean, you're only the god of a planet."

"What's that supposed to mean ?" She seemed offended now, but also afraid.

"No, really, you only take Japanese kids, so are you only the god of a single country? I wouldn't want to ask anything of you that you couldn't do. I really wouldn't want to put you in a difficult position after all…"

"Bastard, I'm already in a difficult situation! You're asking too much!"

"And that's why I need to speak to your superior. Surely, my two little conditions wouldn't be a big deal for a high-ranking deity. I mean, I really only need five minutes, if that'll be alright."

She jumped from her position on the throne, flashed me, and ran to me to shake me.

"Shut up! Shut up please! Don't ask me to call them! Don't!!!"

Holy shit, she was strong, really strong. I was a reasonably fit grown man. She could ragdoll me.

"I don't want to be an intern again. You don't understand what it's like to clean up clouds for two thousand years, please! Please! Please!!! I need this! I haven't gotten my quota yet!"

"And how is that my business, you pervy goddess?! What's the matter with your world?! Given your pitch, all the otakus would take a cheat skill and go to that world to kill the demon king!"

"I… I kinda don't meet a lot of them. Hehe…" Her index fingers met.

"...What do you mean?"

"I mean.. I kinda have a quota. You know, usually you should be super selective about your heroes and all… but come on, any old otaku with half a heart and good tropes can do it! So… I kinda sla- I mean, wait until the moment is absolutely critical! As a Goddess of my stature should!"

"Yo," I said, colder now.

"Huh?" She blinked, confused by the change in tone. My glare turned into a look of absolute disgust.

"You. You owe me three things just for that."

"Hey, don't get any ideas. I don't care for the way you're talking to me, and I could have you go to Hell so-"

"Wanna do it that way? MANAGER!!! IS THERE A MANAGER HERE? I HAVE A QUES-"

Aqua stopped me, putting her hand over my mouth and effectively stopping me, because she was just that strong.

"Shut up! Shut up! You'll attract them!"

Who? I didn't care to know, I licked her palm. She retracted with a disgusted shriek, just in time for a literal column of light to appear, and in it, an angel. I shit you not, an actual angel, like pop culture shows them. Not of the brass-skinned individuals with a voice of thunder and wings of precious metal and fire, and the eyes of jewels. No… a woman with wings and a really skin-tight outfit.
"Aqua-sama, I hope I do not intrude, but I heard that one of our charges wanted to see the manager, could you spare some ti-…"

I turned to the goddess, livid. She WAS THE MANAGER?!

"Yes, that would be me!" I said, with cheer, and she got pale. "I would like to speak with the level above, please, it seems that there may be some problems of comprehension concerning my placement in the new world and Misses Aqua's quota."

"Oh. You were the human," the angel said, a bit absentmindedly, "how strange. We're deeply sorry but he doesn't exactly do young death nowadays. I'll leave you with your current host of Heaven, but do not hesitate if you have anything you want!"

"Two things! Please!" I said, feeling some vague form of panic while the blue goddess was snickering behind me. Yeah, laugh it up, all of my threats went up in smoke for nothing!

"Yes, human?"

"Is the one above her the one I actually pray to?" I asked, full of hope.

"Oh, you're one of those…" The angel said, and I felt one of my eyes twitch. "Well, if I would say so! But please understand that we do simplify a lot of things for the sake of the mortals, so please, do not be alarmed."
Do not be alarmed? What do you MEAN? How was I supposed to react to the idea that my devotion had been wasted on someone that couldn't even see me because 'it wasn't their department'? COME ON! I could feel the migraine that was threatening to come.

"Ok…" I began, massaging my temples. "Could I get a change of clothes, please? Not that the climate is inhospitable here, but I'd rather be clothed, please."

"Granted! Please, Aqua-sama, continue with this human's reincarnation process. Your quota is due soon," she said before disappearing.

In an aggressive pillar of light, clothes appeared right at my feet? The light was so intense that I needed to protect my eyes, and when I got to see again, I saw… purple, right on the ground. Ok. Yellow huh. I could pull off yellow. I gave myself a whole minute to get into the comfortable, dare I say divine medieval ensemble that seemed to have taken the form of what I could associate with lightweight fantasy traveling clothes and looked upon the goddess. She was no less proud than me.

"… I'd like two cheat things." I almost asked, a bit humbler.

"Nope! You heard her! You can't ask the big man upstairs for favors, so you're all mine! And I make the rules, and the rules say that I give you only one cheat item! Though, you know, you could just go without one too, that could work."
I rolled my eyes and adjusted my clothes a bit more.

"Listen, if that was so urgent, and because you need souls there, I'd prefer if you'd allow me two, just so I may end the death of young men doing their best against this Demon lor-"

"Ah, no, you misunderstand, they don't die… huh… the Demon Lord kinda keeps… reappearing, kind of a bug in the system, if you will soooo… yeah. Also, a lot of them just do side-quests, and then they don't really progress against the Demon Lord! We need more heroes!"

Obviously, the solution was to throw more hormonal young men at the problem and let it take care of itself… I face-palmed, let the soothing contact pain on my face do the rest to assure me that this wasn't just a coma dream. It was a bad coma dream my subconscious really wanted me to experience.

"Ok, just one. Give me the choices. Man… what will this fantasy world be like anyway?"

"Oh, kinda like an MMO!" I cringed. Hard. Of course she saw that. "No, I mean… kinda like Dungeons and Dragons! Old guys really like Dungeons and Dragons, right!" I cringed even harder. "Anyway, since you won't be happy, here's the program, just don't look too deep into it- it's all formalities."

My eyes couldn't avoid the part where his head might go p**f and I cringed some more. I chose to ignore it and went to the sheets. I quickly perused through them, meaning that I was going over them with so much zeal that it took two minutes for each sheet to be completely read and internalized before he sorted it into a pile between good and bad. Some were good, as in OP. Some were really bad because they were situational. Especially those that apparently demanded some sort of allegiance to the Axis cult. He guessed that it was this wet bint's religion. The very same moistened bint that decided that she had to loudly eat a bag of chips right on her throne, looking bored.

"Say, Aqua."

"Can you please call me Aqua-sama, or something of the sort?"

"No. So, Aqua, I have a question."

"Hmm, yes?"

"Why are all your items mostly aesthetic in function?"

"Because looks are half of what matters to a hero!"

"… Why are their bonus stats tied to some sort of reputation system with the Axis cult?"

"Oh, because you'd be crazy not to propagate the one true religion, right?"

Sure. Gods were apparently scam artists that craved worship. Let's go with that.

"Sure," I hissed between my teeth. "Sure, let's go with that. Say what, Aqua? I'm going to take Profound Magic and Super strength."

"You can't take two! You need to choose!"

I rolled my eyes. No one could blame me for basically becoming the local equivalent of a Bronze Age hero. Too bad magic could still give me super strength if I had enough leeway with it. Perhaps even super-durability.
"Give me the magic boost and let's be done with it. I have sorceries to do and Demon Lords to kill and Thrones of Heaven to topple."

"Just try! You'd be smitten on the spot!"

Oh Aqua. Beware my vengeance. It will be as bloody and vicious as the vengeance of Ashurbanipal upon the Land of Elam. You can be sure of that.

A magic circle opened under my feet, and I ascended slowly into the infinite firmament.

"Oh, brave hero, I pray that of the many prospective heroes, you will be the one to defeat the Demon King. If you do we shall grant you any wish you have as a gift from the gods," she said with the minimum level of enthusiasm a person was capable of giving, still chewing on her crisps.

I mean… a gift from the gods, huh… We'll see if they'll be so keen about that when I betray the world itself and punch my way up to get some true answers. After all, what was a Japanese J-RPG without the protagonist defeating the real true enemy?

The False God.

I cackled, feeling knowledge being forcefully poured into my skull, and with it, thousands of years of culture.

"Now please go forth on your journey… and leave me alone!" The Goddess finally finished, leaving me to cackle maniacally and go up and up without end until I reached the light.
 
Back
Top