1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

SHINOBI: The RPG - Act 2 (Naruto/Fallout SI)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Fulcon, May 7, 2019.

1. kayfizzlejosh

kayfizzlejosh Getting sticky.

So, with that in mind, how are you going to write him now? I assume he's still going to have the same flaws as before, but if that part of you is dead, I feel like you might struggle to put yourself into his mindset.

Sheaman3773, Wheenesss and Fulcon like this.
  2. Seru

Seru Lodissian Cross

Rewrite has been Watched with OP notifications, and I will still use this as the benchmark of a good Gamer Fic.

Thank you for being why I got back into writing at all, and may your muse be forever your ally.

RichardWhereat and Fulcon like this.
  3. Warer

Warer Shadowstep12 Sleep fucking is impoilte

In a way this is the most beautiful ending possible.

Fulcon likes this.
  4. MMMm

MMMm Know what you're doing yet?

I disagree that Daisuke was a bad person. He was someone with a disability who was never intentionally vicious or cruel. Despite having incredible power, he didn't use it to abuse anyone. He lives in a world of monsters and was a better person than most of the people in his village.

He can't really control if people get hurt by his callousness. Life is pain and you'll constantly injure other people regardless of what you do. I never got why people kept getting upset at someone that can't learn why people are mad and is incapable of learning. It's like berating a one-handed man for not being able to knit properly.

Primarily, it made me hate his friends. I still think his teammates are both completely worthless and he shouldn't care about them. They served very little purpose in the story besides causing the main character pain.

I think if you had wanted him to come off as being a jerk, it would be better if he did it intentionally. Like he was incapable of seeing others as anything but NPCs and he treated people poorly unless they had quests for him or he needed them for something. Once he knew he could gain EXP from creating jutsu and killing people, he technically didn't need the Leaf village anymore. Or anyone, really. And what does his little group of friends really matter if they won't give him what he wants? He could have easily found other people elsewhere who would drool over him for the money or power he could offer them.

There weren't really any elements of objectification or negative intent in him.

But the general premise of the story was somewhat flawed because people will tolerate assholes if they're useful or powerful.

Michael Winters from Pyroclasm is a better version of Daisuke though. He's my favorite protagonist of any stories you've written. You nailed the isolated loner thing there.

I was also invested in Daisuke eventually gaining emotions and didn't really care that he got a new personality. His original personality was just his disability. It wasn't a big deal in my books.

My main consideration with any Gamer story is that you need to add more obstacles on his path to prevent him from easily acquiring power and power leveling past all of his enemies. Especially if he can do stuff like giving himself elemental kekkei genkai. You quickly reach the point where none of the canon enemies could challenge him, which is probably why you included the Gods.

It's a point I didn't like much, Jashin or the other guy being around. Daisuke had no reason to stick around in a world where he knew there was an evil god who intended to screw over all of his progress in trying to make the world a better place. Why not just take all the people and go somewhere else that Jashin can't follow? What other option does he have besides killing Jashin, something he was incapable of doing?

I couldn't see how he expected to win this without waging war against Jashin indirectly for thousands of years. What's the point of any of this? Who cares about the Naruto universe? He claims that it's his new world now, but was it really? At the time his close friends could be counted on one hand and his village hated him. I never got his logic.

Either way, you had a very worth reading story. It was better than most other gamer fics. I'll read the rewrite.

Seij, Mike45 and bluepencil like this.
  5. SALADBAR

SALADBAR Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

• Do not necro. This is against Rule 7.
    Yuh-fucking-YEEEEEEEEET!

I'm really excited by this new rewrite, most stories that I follow that is being rewritten is dead, so this is very ducking welcome as I need some entertainment in this quarantine.

6. Demon Lord Diablo

Demon Lord Diablo Ready and willing to hand-hold

Aight, so I'm in a pickle now. I'm reading act 1 on fine and I just finished chapter 44, so far everything was great, But now I see your AN, where you actively discourage us to read more. and while I'm super-impatient for the rewrite, I just want to know what others think, so I don't needlessly spoil stuff for myself. Should I red the remaining chapters till chapter 70? and do I need to read the rest so I can understand ACT 2 (i.e. this thread).

thanks to anyone who helps me out, I guess?

Aurain and Relyt33 like this.
  7. Seru

Seru Lodissian Cross

I think if nothing else, it is certainly a deeply enjoyable read. Go into it with your eyes open, and be ready for things to get weird, and have fun.

Demon Lord Diablo and Aurain like this.
  8. Demon Lord Diablo

Demon Lord Diablo Ready and willing to hand-hold

yeah, I couldn't help but be curious, and while I did enjoy it, I could see what Fulcon meant by it being rushed, since many segues were random, and the skipping took away from a lot of the fic. the tone for the rest of the story changed significantly, it basically just changed to angst after he he hit level 30.
    Still, it was, as you mentioned, a deeply enjoyable read, and was definitely fun, and if I've been able to get into fandoms like Harry Potter, despite a plethora of bad writing, skipping over a few segues is still much better than most. honestly though, the latter parts started getting too whimsical, but to be frank, I didn't actually disagree with anything Daisuke did. all of his actions seemed perfectly reasonable, up until the end of ACT 1. haven't read this thread yet, I'm planning on doing so now.
    One thing I did like about Fulcon's writing style, though, is that his conversations seem natural, instead of forced, which is a part where most people get stuck on, and he still manages to show how exactly being antisocial could affect conversations, without making it seem random. I hope the rewrite takes it's time and comes out even better than the first

9. Seru

Seru Lodissian Cross

For what has been written so far, it most certainly has come out so.

Demon Lord Diablo likes this.
  10. Threadmarks: An Apology
    Fulcon

Fulcon Not working on it anymore. Sorry.

So, I wanted to put this here, hopefully to put some stuff in context and get my thoughts out in a place where people can see it.

I owe the readers of SHINOBI: The RPG an apology. Why? Mostly to clear my conscience and to finally put this authorial misadventure to rest. At least, I hope.

So, here we go.

I, Fulcon, apologize for ruining the story and allowing my negative feelings toward fanfiction, Naruto itself and toward some of you to taint my worldview and sully a story you all enjoyed so much. For the sake of authenticity and transparency, I'm going to go through how I ruined the story, my thought process and the consequences therein. There'll be explanations, but those are there to provide context for my failure and not to excuse anything because, at the end of the day, injury was done and that's all that matters.

#1: Patreon.

So to be frank, at the height of Shinobi's popularity, I rushed through things in a vain attempt to turn the audience of a fanfiction into paying customers. Paying...for what exactly? Attaching their name to my project. No advance readings, no special attention from Fulcon or behind the scenes stuff. Just a spot in the credits. Why did I do this? Because I didn't want to slow or halt my imagined career as a writer to go get a job. A job which I would undoubtedly quit within six months due to my own insecurities and how hard it is for me to deal with the jobs I got - dealing with customers, even most friendly and benign ones, drained my soul. Working in the service industry has been and still is a nightmare scenario for me.

The thing is? People in my position still get jobs in these industries or find work in a place where the environment suits their degree of introversion. I was, and am, weak. I still don't have a job and all attempts at trying to write a new story even to publish failed.

#2: Underage Harem.

...yeah. This is just awful on all accounts. No matter how you look at it, this was a horrible decision. This was a bad way to take the story and I apologize from the bottom of my soul.

I hope you'll indulge me in hearing my excuse and how this sort of thing got introduced in the first place.

After the blow-back on Shinobi after I tried to ham-fist a Patreon into SHINOBI, I got, well, bitter. Especially as the story started to fail and people grew more critical of every decision that I made. I grew hateful and resentful of the story, any of its readers that took issue with how things were going got added to the pile and I then turned my hate and resentment to Naruto itself. To this day, I can't even look at a Naruto meme without getting ill. So...I wanted to destroy the franchise. Or at least, destroy it for some people whose ear I had. How would I do so? Well, Naruto was based on the Warring States period. During that time, there was a lot of things that, today, we would consider degenerate and evil.

You know Zabuza and Haku? There is an above 50% chance that they were sodomizing each other. Well, actually, Zabuza was sodomizing Haku. I don't remember what a pairing like that is called, but it was a thing in that time period and it grosses me out (was Zabuza a groomer?). Given the obsession everyone had with Kekkei Genkai, it also seemed logical to me that people with special bloodlines would get harems for the express purpose of spreading that bloodline. However, the powerful have this way of getting whatever the heck they want and Daisuke was a god. A god who had abandoned his identity as someone from our world and went fully native as he understood it. Which meant, yeah, inducting underage girls into a harem.

God, typing that feels disgusting.

However, a lot of my historical justification and perspective comes from ancient Israel. In the old testament, King David had over five hundred wives. Job, a man called Perfect by God Himself, had seven wives to start and was awarded seven wives by God after his ordeal (EDIT: This is Incorrect, should've paid more attention to my sources). Oh, and at the time of the Roman's, they arranged marriages between girls who were thirteen or fourteen to men who were in their thirties. The girls were that young to facilitate as many children as possible due to childbirth complications being common (as I understand it) and thirty was when men were actually trained and able to have a career to provide for their wife.

...this means that the Virgin Mary was 13-14 when she was pregnant with Jesus and God Himself had no issue with that, which raises questions on how many morals are absolute and how many of them are simply cultural norms (but that is a topic for a later date). Or perhaps God is evil? Is religion just 'us verses them' on a spiritual level? Sorry, I'll stop now.

Now you'll notice that all of this is the wrong country and the wrong time period. I was literally transposing one cultures values and norms to another based on judgements I made on my limited perspective of warring states. I know Polygamy was a thing and I know that marrying age is 13 in Japan to this day (depending on the province) but I was making a lot of assumptions that may, or may not be accurate and I was doing it to air my negative feelings about the franchise and my own sexual frustration.

(I hate myself right now).

I got flak for taking the fic in this direction and I took it badly, thinking that moving to QQ was enough to insulate myself from criticism because, well, look where we are. I don't really go to the NSFW section of the site, but that section is the whole reason this site exists. But it followed me because they didn't want to see the fic go down this road. And...I'll be honest, I agree with the critique. That's why it stung so bad ('Don't you understand? That's the point!') They got mad and rightfully so! I was doing it on purpose to destroy the franchise.

#3: Godhood and Marriage.

The only things I regret was not clarifying that Daisuke used a non-murderous Impure World Reincarnation to 'ascend' to godhood. Also, that his 'godhood' wasn't in the vein of God the Father and Jesus Christ (or Buddha or any other Monotheistic religion), it was in the vein of Zeus, Thor and Raiden. Of course, him going to create a world did not help that at all.

Also, I wish Daisuke and Anko's marriage wasn't framed so heavily in 'he did something great for her, now he owns her soul'. I had a lot of misconceptions about relationships and marriage, in spite of how much research I had done. Most of these being the misconceptions born from my parents dysfunctional marriage (Dad is a narcissist. Not clinically diagnosed, but he exhibits most of the symptoms) which is not a fun thing to read or recall writing. I apologize for this failure and will strive to do better in the future.

#4: Naruto vs. Daisuke.

I wanted Daisuke to assume Sasuke's role in canon. I thought it'd be a fun ideological conflict to have Daisuke and Naruto clash. Instead of it being a mission for revenge (actually, wait, that's a lot of what it was) it was a moral change. I wanted Naruto to be the main POV character of Act 2, Daisuke and he would fight a lot and both Naruto and Daisuke convince each other on some things and are able to come to a compromise as they work, together, as friends with Konoha, to bring the world to a brighter future.

But that just wasn't going to work. Daisuke would fold the second Naruto opened his mouth. Naruto couldn't fight Daisuke no matter how hard he tried. Daisuke could literally just stand there and go 'are you done? Are you done? How about now?'. Act 2 needed a much stronger division between Daisuke and Naruto in order to work because Naruto literally brings about world peace and Daisuke believes in his ability to do so. Act 2, as I imagined it, would not work no matter how hard I tried to force it. And try to force it, I did. No matter how hard it wouldn't work, I was going to have Naruto and Daisuke fight.

Which included having Naruto turn evil. I'm still convinced that could've worked, but I don't think anyone actually wanted to read it. In fact, people were pretty hostile to the idea, leaving the fic entirely over the conversation between Naruto and Jashin. Which means it wouldn't have worked because what is an entertainer without his audience? So I apologize for trying to force a character arc that was completely out of place and trying to include themes that, while potentially realistic or plausible, clashed with the story and source material itself (Sasuke never got a harem and you know how valuable the Sharingan was). It was wrong, and I will strive to not repeat my mistake in the future.

---

...so there it is. Typing this out, I feel a lot of relief and that, maybe, I might be able to move on. I mostly continued the story because I liked having hundreds of people follow my work and felt like I could bring it back if I continued my work. That was the worst possible mindset to have and I am really, really sorry I took so many of you for granted. I continued well past burnout just to stay relevant and then, to try to regain my status. But it's not really me you guys care about, it's the story. After all, very few people care about J. K. Rowling herself, we just love Harry Potter. So I apologize for my ego, my poor decisions and my personal weakness. I'm sorry for taking a story you loved and twisting it into something that didn't match why you fell in love with the story and ignored your feedback.

(Some of you I ignored because you were unpleasant but 99% of you? Yeah, I should've listened).

If I could go back in time, I would give myself one piece of advice.

"Ignore the people telling you to write what you want to write. Instead, focus on writing what you want to read."

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  11. Katorishi

Katorishi Not too sore, are you?

huh well best to you happy life

KIro, Venyr4434, anonermoose and 6 others like this.
  12. Fulcon

Given how 'at peace' I feel after having written this, I'd say things will be better now. Thank you.

Have a cookie. :)

KIro, MitchHead, Venyr4434 and 17 others like this.
  13. theonebutcher

theonebutcher Hahaha! ... Waitaminute... Oh God NO!

Eh, this is qq.

Look, we love those characters. Really we do and the fact that they are underage... we mostly ignore that bit. Don't feel bad about the underage harem bit, don't try to justify it. If you justify yourself you're telling the trolls that you did something wrong and that's like bleeding into a shark tank.

You haven't hurt any children and Daisuke doesn't need to be wholly moral.

Daisuke might have been an SI, I.E. older than them, but from his characterization he reads just as mature as them. He's not a creepy old man.

On the patreon bit: As long as you tell people that there will be no advance chapters and maybe refund the money when you skip too many updates or slow down in your writing you're in the yellow.

KIro, Sol Mark-1, Venyr4434 and 8 others like this.
  14. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Why I only write every few months at best. Happy that you’ve found a bit of tranquility mate.

KIro, Venyr4434, Gorgrath177 and 5 others like this.
  15. Fulcon

I appreciate your advice. Thank you, I will consider what you have said.

Have a cookie. :)

Thank you, have a cookie. :)

KIro, Venyr4434, Gorgrath177 and 4 others like this.
  16. theonebutcher

theonebutcher Hahaha! ... Waitaminute... Oh God NO!

Why does everyone everywhere want to sabotage my diet? WHY?

KIro, MitchHead, Venyr4434 and 8 others like this.
  17. Fulcon

Put it in the fridge/stasis chamber/whatever and save it for a cheat day! I promise it'll keep. :)

KIro, Venyr4434, Mastert3318 and 4 others like this.
  18. MasterMarx

MasterMarx The Most Ridiculous Boss

I'm glad you're in a better mental space in regards to the fic's postmortem. Hindsight's kicking in hard tbh- I'd like to offer a rather belated apology for any part I had in the negative feelings.

KIro, Venyr4434, llat-2 and 3 others like this.
  19. Fulcon

Thank you. I don't recall you being a part of that, but your apology is accepted and appreciated in any case. :)

KIro, Venyr4434, llat-2 and 3 others like this.
  20. Reader_as_a_Hobby

Reader_as_a_Hobby Versed in the lewd.

Technically speaking, most Buddhism is atheistic. Not including the blends like Hindu Buddhism. Buddha is just the name of those who have achieved enlightenment, though the person we usually think of when we say Buddha is someone who attained that enlightened and also went about teaching of that journey and how one might also achieve it themselves.

But yeah, glad you feel like your in a better headspace and that this confession might have eased any shadows following you from it.

21. Chara Dreemurr

Chara Dreemurr Determined to find LOVE

You did some good writing. I had my enjoyment with it even if I kind of stopped reading when the pace slowed down and the story seemed to focus less on Naruto(the manga/anime not the character).

I'd like to see you take another crack at writing, it isn't like even more famous people on here like Dark Wolf Shiro hasn't run into mistakes and felt the need to hit the big red reset button. If you don't want to take another crack at this story, it would make a good learning experience for any future stories.

At the end of the day, writing a story isn't easy. Writing in general is but I doubt anyone wants to see my poor attempts at smutty fanfiction. You caught my interest towards the start with a good concept, OP Gamer Ninja in Naruto, even gave your character some character flaws to humanise them. But pacing issues and regrettable story beats lead to reaching here, you acknowledged this so I don't see a reason you can't improve from this.

If you make another story or reset this one, I'll be there to read it at least. If not, I wish you luck with whatever you chose to do.

KIro, Venyr4434, Mastert3318 and 5 others like this.
  22. Fulcon

I appreciate the clarification. Always good to learn new things. :)

Me too. Thanks for the kind words! :)

I mean, yeah. It's supposed to be a Naruto fanfic. Shouldn't the focus be on Naruto?

Maybe one day. I managed to recover the entire first draft of this story, plus half of the re-write so it's not out of the question.

Right now, I'm trying to learn how to draw. It's been a long time since a new discipline has excited me like art has. Maybe it'll turn into something, who knows?

23. GamingPizza1998

GamingPizza1998 Verified Pizza

Huh, been awhile and with how everything was effecting you before I thought you wouldn't be back. It's good that you're feeling better and this whole thing has helped you.

I hope you start writing something you enjoy cause I did enjoy what you wrote and it goes better than before.

24. Fulcon

I did need some time away, most of which was spent trying to swallow my pride and learn some stuff.

I hope I can write something new eventually. But I'm going to take my time, in any case.

KIro, nirmtheworm, llat-2 and 3 others like this.
  25. Seru

Seru Lodissian Cross

Hello Brother, good to see you're doing well!

I credit your absence with why I commissioned someone to write my own Gamer SI in Naruto, and why I am writing it's sequel atm.

You remain an inspiration. Be well, and Go with His Grace.

26. Fulcon

Thank you very, very much. Your words are a great kindness. :)

Have a cookie.

27. Seru

Seru Lodissian Cross

Diabetic, enjoy it as my thanks for the inspiration you granted.

Mastert3318, Relyt33 and Fulcon like this.
  28. asdo

asdo Experienced.

Hope you feel better. Maybe you could just write a op powereank story in a setting so bad that you forcibly changing the world to your point of view would be seen as a good in in and out of the story?

Advice of the day: Go see your local old penguin sage if it lasts for more than 4 hours

GamingPizza1998, Relyt33 and Fulcon like this.
  29. Fulcon

Well, that sucks, friend. I will enjoy this cookie on your behalf. :)

...Like Warhammer 40k?

The thought has occurred to me.

:p

Have a cookie.

30. Chrisleech

Chrisleech Experienced.

The harem part wasn't actually that bad, although it is kinda weird how Anko is insistent on it and doesn't understand why he wouldn't want it, whereas the others are firmly against it. More of an issue is just how much he's stuck on his old world, and how it would definitely be better to copypaste that system into this world. And he even gets things continuously thrown in his face about how horrible his plan is, and he kinda sidesteps a bit but it honestly made me less interested in him succeeding.