1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

SHINOBI: The RPG - Act 2 (Naruto/Fallout SI)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Fulcon, May 7, 2019.

1. Rechte

Rechte Getting sticky.

I don't use him as an example. He's a game character so he operates on different physics to begin with

2. Alipheese

Alipheese Not too sore, are you?

Based on the movie Logan, the adamantium skeleton Wolverine has was poisonous enough to overpower even Wolverines regeneration after years of having it in him. Granted, it took a long time, but Wolverine could regenerate pretty much anything in just minutes. Basically any time he lost his regenerative abilities even for a short time, the adamantium worsened the poison inside his body, eventually getting too much for his regeneration to handle, such that suppressing the poison was all it could do.

That said, Daisuke was fine without the regeneration of Wolverine, so I'm guessing some part of the Adamantium Skeleton power negates the poisonous part of the metal.

3. Fulcon

Fulcon Not working on it anymore. Sorry.

Good point.

I never saw Logan (though I really want too) so I didn't know Adamantium was poisonous. Huh.

Rabid Tagger and Relyt33 like this.
  4. ElLobo

ElLobo Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Yup, in some few comics ive read where Wolverine's healing factor was suppressed, he started suffering from extreme metal poisoning. Accelerated hair loss, cancers, and what ever else that level of poisoning may cause.

5. Fulcon

That's nasty.

...hm. Not sure I'll be able to explore it in this fic, though.

Rabid Tagger, Krazyfan1 and Relyt33 like this.
  6. GamingPizza1998

GamingPizza1998 Verified Pizza

Can't Daisuke just boop her on the Nose and bam she's immoral

7. Fulcon

Yup!

8. Kuma-Kun

Kuma-Kun Knight of the Seven-Who-Are-One

I mean, he is a god which are sometimes used to establish a baseline of morality, but whether or not he he can rewrite what is right and wrong with a boop is a debate for the philosophers. :p

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Rabid Tagger, Relyt33, Rechte and 2 others like this.
  9. GamingPizza1998

I'm sure once they are married they will thoroughly debate boop together. *eye brow wiggle*

10. Fulcon

They might even get around to bop. ;)

Rabid Tagger, Rebu and Relyt33 like this.
  11. GamingPizza1998

Anko's given name is a Dango and her surname is a Syrup covered Dango. Cause that could be a reason in itself to take her name, if you catch my drift.

Rabid Tagger, Relyt33 and Fulcon like this.
  12. Fulcon

I think Anko would rather become a Shimoda, to be honest. She want's to be Daisuke's Dango. :D

13. GamingPizza1998

Is it bad I want some smuck to say something like this just to see Daisuke kill them with Killing Intent alone.

That actually made me go aww.

14. Neruz

Neruz HISSSSSS!

To be fair; Wolverine's healing factor varies wildly from story to story, IIRC in at least one instance he literally regenerated entirely from a single drop of blood. Adamantium causing heavy metal poisoning also doesn't make a whole lot of sense, given that heavy metal poisoning is caused by metal particles accumulating in soft tissue, which implies that the Adamantium was somehow eroding inside his body. Which shouldn't be possible, as Adamantium is functionally indestructible and thus should not suffer erosion from mere internal body functions.

But then again, comic books have never had a very sensible relationship with physics and biology, or indeed any form of scientific study.

Rabid Tagger, Rebu, llat-2 and 4 others like this.
  15. Fulcon

No, because it'd be hilarious.

Did the same to me, to be honest.

This is just truth right here.

16. Fulcon

Progress Report: 1k words done. I should hopefully get the chapter done this week.

It's looking to be a Wave Centric chapter with Cells 7 and 13 (a Sum 20 mission?) and the Penguins, but I might be able to squeeze in the wedding if there's room (i.g it's not just tacked on at the end). I think I like the format with 'Wave - Daisuke - Wave - Daisuke' though it might make things take a bit longer than they should. I dunno, we'll see what my muse thinks.

Also, as several people have pointed out, Wave and Water are two different countries. I'll go back at some point to fix my errors and correct this; I honestly thought that the English dub retranslated Water as Wave because it sounds cooler. My mistake.

17. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

Water is different from wave which is different from rain which is in turn different from waterfall which is ALSO different from whirlpool. Ya follow?

Water is the wettest of the five major shinobi nations. Had Isobu stuck in a mind controlled mizukage, and actively embroiled in a bloodline purge/civil war until roughly the time of shippuden in canon.

Wave is the tutorial arc area with the bridge and a couple missing nin displaced by water's civil war.

Rain is Pein's house. Where it rains. Go figure. Also got ravaged in EVERY shinobi war for being unlucky enough to be directly between three of the land connected nations.

Waterfall was the only minor village to be gifted a biju, specifically lucky seven Chomei, and had the honor of getting raided for said biju off screen. Also an extremely bland pre-shippuden movie I'm pretty sure isn't even canon was centered there.

Whirlpool is the island nation Naruto's Uzumaki ancestors called home before getting fucking rekt by, if memory serves, a three-pronged alliance that was the catalyst for the third war. Konoha failed to come to their allies aid in time, which is why they wear the blood red swirls on the back of their uniforms in mourning/reminder of failure. That this mistake repeated itself with Naruto himself will have different effects on your mood based on whether you believe that comedy=tragedy+time.

This has been your daily fictional history/geography/sassy jokes session. Now back to anticipation for continuing story, or more topics to pounce upon with great enthusiasm befitting the world's most vicious big cats.

18. Alipheese

Actually, they wear the swirl because the Senju and Uzumaki clans were basically cousins. Senju Hashirama was the one to make Konoha ninja wear the Uzumaki swirl. Taken straight from the wiki: "Following the founding of Konohagakure at the end of the Warring States Period, the Senju chose to symbolize their clans' friendship by adding the Uzumaki's emblem to Konoha's flak jackets."

19. Galacticplumber

Yes and do you know why the swirl WHOSE BASE FORM IS WHITE is colored red on Konoha uniforms?

Fulcon, GamingPizza1998 and Relyt33 like this.
  20. Fulcon

It's fashionable?

21. John Sandman

John Sandman Versed in the lewd.

Stains on white clothing is more noticeable so they went with a different color?

GamingPizza1998, Relyt33 and Fulcon like this.
  22. Limbo

Limbo God knows I was just trolling, right?

Well, I told myself I'd follow you here. So here I am. But I think I'll stay for the NSFW forums...

Lazurman, Fulcon, llat-2 and 2 others like this.
  23. Galacticplumber

Funny all, but seriously pretty sure I remember watching this during the anime.

Fulcon likes this.
  24. Alipheese

Was it in a canon episode or a filler though? I've only read the manga, and the times I watched the anime I always skipped the fillers, and I can't remember the swirl being any color but red. That said, I last read the manga when it finished back in 2014, almost 5 years ago, so I might not remember everything right.

Fulcon likes this.
  25. Galacticplumber

Pretty sure it was the same episode we learned what happened to whirlpool. Whatever canonicity it has is equal to this entire history to begin with.

Fulcon likes this.
  26. Alipheese

In that case it was probably just the fact that those pages weren't colored in the manga, so it was just a shade of grey, like everything else. I don't remember much of the anime aside from the chuunin exams and the wave arc, so I probably just missed that episode or forgot it. The red version of the swirl is just so much more common it's the first version I think of.

Fulcon likes this.
  27. Galacticplumber

Probably because the story primarily focuses on Konoha, and the Uzumaki are mostly extinct. I mean there's Naruto, Karin, Nagato, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the scattered that lived ended up in Samurai country.

Fulcon likes this.
  28. Fulcon

Thank you and I promise that I'm not judging you. :)

Ah, I was just having some fun to cover up how I have no idea.

divoratore1 likes this.
  29. Threadmarks: Chapter 14: Uncomfortable Truths
    Fulcon

The Following is a fanbased work of fiction: Naruto and Naruto: Shippuden are owned by Shueisha, Viz Entertainment and Masashi Kishimoto. Please support the official release.

---

“Our main priority is to interrogate the bridge builder Tazuna,” Kakashi stated to everyone. “We shouldn’t actually need to get rough or even let him know that it’s actually an interrogation. We need to know if the bridge was built to his specifications or if Daisuke just built his own, we need to know if Daisuke told him anything and the history Gato Company has with this village in particular.”

The team managed to get the office fortified properly, having staked out it’s entrances, exits and blocking other ports to prevent the civilian mob from sneaking in while they were unawares.

“How do we plan on avoiding the enemy Ninja that are stalking us?” Hisako asked, her eyes narrowing as she surveyed the map in the center of their circle. “They seemed to have stuck to the ocean but I wouldn’t bet on them staying there while we’re moving inland.”

“Naruto, I want you to create four squads of clones when we’re ready to move out,” Kakashi replied. “Have them henge into copies of us and send them on separate routes. We’ll go last and from then on, we’ll go out at a random order to where we need to go. Send at least one team that looks like it’s making a move on the bridge.”

“You got it, Sensei!” Naruto said with a grin. “You can count on me!”

“Good,” Kakashi eye-smiled at him. “Again, we are not to let him know that this is an interrogation. Just a friendly visit. When we get there, I want Nichiren, with Naruto and Sakura to handle the interrogation. Hisako, Sasuke and myself will stand guard over the house and be ready to either defend it or to provide backup if you need it. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Sensei,” Nichiren nodded.

“Alright,” Kakashi said, directing the group to stand up. “Let’s move out.”

---

“Captain, they’re moving,” Masato reported, pointing down over the edge of the roof they were standing on.

“Riku, my spyglass,” Shizo ordered, taking the spyglass made of snow and ice from the outstretched flipper and putting it to his eye. “Yeah, they’re moving out…for a walk around the town, likely to gather supplies. We need to tail them and make sure it’s not a ploy to…to…wait a minute.”

“What’s wrong, Captain?” Rookie asked with a frown.

“They aren’t talking,” Shizo pointed out. “At all. They’re just walking together, not even talking to the villagers.”

“That’s suspicious,” Masato replied, his eyes narrowing.

Captain Shizo didn’t respond to this obvious declaration, instead keeping an eye on the group and alternating back to the building entrance. When the building entrance opened again, Shizo simply closed the spyglass. “Men, they’re using clones to throw us off.”

“Your instincts have proven right once again, captain,” Masato complimented with a bow.

“They always do.” Shizo smirked. “Masato, take Rookie to the bridge. If that’s their goal, respond appropriately. Lethal force is authorized, but try not to get yourselves killed.”

“Uh, didn’t Shimoda ask us not to kill them if we could help it?” Rookie asked, raising his flipper.

“Rookie, they’re Ninja. Not civilians,” Shizo replied with a nonplussed expression. “If we don’t use lethal force and they’re going to kill us and destroy the bridge. Come on, it’s obvious.”

“Sorry, Captain,” Rookie apologized with a frown. “I just remembered what he asked us to do and wondered if we should change plans.”

“No,” Shizo shook his head. “They aren’t fragile little egglings, they can take a beating.”

“Lethal force also has the best chance of simply driving them off,” Masato pointed out with a raised eye-muscle. “Captain, if their move on the bridge is a distraction, where do we rendezvous?”

“Riku and I are heading to secure the bridge builder’s house,” Captain Shizo explained. “If the bridge is a distraction, rendezvous with us there by sea. If their move on the bridge builder is fake, we’ll come to you. Move out.”

---

Naruto felt oddly nervous as they hopped through the trees, jumping from branch to branch. Like something was watching them that they desperately needed to get away from. But he couldn’t see whatever it was, which only contributed to the odd anxiety he suddenly felt.

“Does anyone else feel that?” He finally asked.

Sakura hummed. “Feel what, Naruto-kun?”

“I feel like we’re being watched,” Naruto replied. “Like something bad really bad is keeping an eye on us.”

“I think we should trust Naruto’s instincts here,” Nichiren piped up as he hopped from one branch to another. “Whoever it was that attacked us yesterday might be watching from a distance.”

“Maintain formation,” Kakashi ordered. “Just keep an eye out for anything that looks odd or funny. We don’t want to get caught by a surprise Genjutsu.”

“Yes, Sensei,” Hisako affirmed. “Sasuke, you got your Sharingan on?”

“I never turned it off,” Sasuke replied, his red eyes examining the foliage below as he landed on a branch and pushed off.

Naruto took a deep breath, still looking around. For some reason, the shadows seemed just a little longer than would be considered normal and that there could be something hiding in every single one.

They arrived at the house without incident, however and the feeling of being watched passed. Naruto breathed a sigh of relief.

“Nichiren, take the lead,” Kakashi told him. “Naruto and Sakura? Help, but don’t say anything you’re going to regret later. Alright?”

“Yes, Sensei,” Naruto and Sakura replied, with a bow as Kakashi, Hisako and Sasuke disappeared into the trees.

“Alright,” Nichiren started. “I’m thinking we tell him that we’re Leaf Ninja hired by one of Gato Company’s competitors hired to protect the bridge. After that, we keep our focus on the bridge until Daisuke comes up, and he will come up, if you’re patient. Once he comes up, we act absolutely astounded by all the crap he pulled while he was here. Alright?”

“Yes, Senpai,” Naruto nodded.

“Senpai?” Sakura began. “Won’t we need to be able to prove that’s why we’re here?”

Nichiren hummed and pulled out a piece of paper. After a few hand sign’s, he placed his hand on it and it filled out to look like an official mission document, proving that they were here to protect the bridge.

“Where did you learn how to do that?” Sakura asked with astonishment.

“It’s Daisuke’s paperwork jutsu,” Nichiren replied wryly. “He taught it to Hisako and I after we made Chunin.”

“Wait, a minute,” Naruto started, also looking surprised. “The Old Man would’ve killed for that Jutsu!”

“Well, maybe Hisako and I can teach it to him once we get back,” Nichiren replied. “But seriously, we need to get back to the mission.”

“Sorry, Senpai,” Naruto replied sheepishly, with a nod.

Sakura also bowed her head slightly as they walked up to the door. Nichiren gave it a firm knock and they waited. On the other side of the door they heard footsteps and the grumbling of an old man. The clicks of the locks coming undone got the three of them to stand up straight.

The door opened, and in the doorway stood Tazuna. “What do you brats want?”

“Hello,” Nichiren said brightly. “We’re Shinobi from the Hidden Leaf village, hired by one of Gato Company’s competitors from the Land of Fire to protect the bridge that recently got finished for the next few weeks. You’re Tazuna, the bridge builder, right?”

“Oh,” Tazuna opened the door completely and dusted himself off. “Yes, that’s me. How can I help you?”

“We’d just like to talk about the bridge and learn about it,” Nichiren continued. “Structural weak-points that need to be protected, that sort of thing.”

Tazuna hummed and his eyes narrowed. “Do you have any proof?”

Nichiren produced the document that he had just finished counterfeiting. Tazuna looked it over really carefully, then handed it back. “Alright, well. Come on in. Truth be told, I don’t think I’ll be much help since I didn’t actually build the bridge.”

“You didn’t?” Nichiren asked with a frown as the three were let into the house. “Then who did?”

“A Shinobi by Shimoda Daisuke just showed up out of nowhere and finished the whole thing in ten minutes,” Tazuna replied with a shake of his head. “I couldn’t believe my eyes.”

“He finished that bridge?” Nichiren asked with a frown. “By himself?”

Tazuna led them to the front room, where mats were arranged to be sat on. Tazuna took one, the Ninja took the others.

“Yeah,” Tazuna nodded. “I almost still can’t believe the bridge is done. You know what else? He paid all the workers what they would’ve made if they had been allowed to see it through to completion. Ha!”

“That sounds incredible,” Sakura supplied. “Did Shimoda-sama follow your blueprints for the bridge?”

“He did,” Tazuna shook his head and rubbed his eyes.

Naruto looked at Sakura and mouthed, “Shimoda-sama?”

Sakura just shrugged.

“My foreman and I all walked over the bridge, checking it’s stability once he left,” Tazuna replied. “Beyond using better stone and steel than what we were using, he followed what we had planned to the letter. Just super, if you ask me.”

“Do you know if he left any additional protections on the bridge?” Nichiren asked with a frown. “Jutsu, seals…perhaps guards?”

“No,” Tazuna shook his head. “Honestly though, I wish he did. The idea of Gato Company destroying it now that it’s finally done is starting to scare me.”

“Well, that’s why we’re here,” Nichiren lied like a snake. “I don’t think we’ve seen anything that could endanger the bridge, but we’d hate for it to get destroyed.”

“To be honest, you seem pretty young,” Tazuna pointed out, adjusting his glasses. “But after what Shimoda pulled, I’m not going to take a Shinobi at face value.”

“A wise policy,” Nichiren said. “Now, assuming that it has the same structural weaknesses, what do we need to watch out for?”

“If someone wanted to destroy it and knew what they were doing,” Tazuna began. “They’d go after the supports. It’s got a lot of them, so they’d need a lot of explosives. But honestly, if they wanted to put the bridge out of commission, they wouldn’t need to remove all of the supports. They’d just have to make a gap in the bridge by removing one every…four? Four legs. That’s what I’d watch out for.”

“Hm, that’s a good point,” Nichiren nodded.

“So why was this bridge so important?” Naruto asked, eyes narrowed. “Duh-uh, Shimoda sounds like he wouldn’t do something like that without a reason, right?”

“I don’t know,” Tazuna just shrugged. “For all I know, he could’ve done it on a whim. But the bridge was really important for us, for the Land of Waves, just because of Gato Company.”

“Was Gato Company really that bad?” Sakura asked, frowning.

“Yes,” Tazuna added. “He ruled the land like a Tyrant. He choked the people out of their money with his outrageous prices and smuggled drugs into the country. If you protested, his army of thugs would break you in two.”

“That sounds horrible,” Sakura replied with sympathy.

“It was. The worst part is what he did to my family,” Tazuna replied, getting a dark look on his face. “I don’t suppose you’ve heard about Kaiza?”

“We heard that name while we were in town,” Nichiren replied. “Who was he?”

“He was my adopted son-in-law,” Tazuna said, grunting. “Ah, I shouldn’t be bringing you into this, you’ve got a job to do and I don’t want to tell this story sober anyway.”

“No, no,” Nichiren protested. “This is a part of our job. Gives us more reason to protect the bridge.”

“Do you have sake here?” Sakura asked. “I could grab you a bottle.”

Tazuna looked at Nichiren and Sakura thoughtfully. “You know what, that’d be great. I’ve got a couple bottles in the kitchen, around the corner there. Grab me one?”

“Sure,” Sakura replied, standing up.

As she walked around the corner to the kitchen, Tazuna rubbed his neck. “Thank you both for coming here. Really. It’s just super that the bridge has some protection now.”

“We’re happy to be here,” Naruto replied with a smile.

Sakura came out of the kitchen with a bottle and a sake bowl. “Here you go.”

“Thank you,” Tazuna replied, taking both. He poured himself some sake and drank up. “Did any of you want any? You can drink in your Ninja villages, right?”

“We can,” Nichiren replied. “But we’d rather keep clear heads since we are on a mission.”

“Understood,” Tazuna replied, pouring some more. “Now, where was I?”

“Kaiza,” Sakura gently reminded him.

“Right, right,” Tazuna let out a breath. “Kaiza. My adopted son-in-law. A few years ago, someone threw my grandson’s dog into the ocean, then my grandson. Kaiza dove in and saved him.”

The three simply stayed quiet while the old man told his story.

“He started spending a lot of time with the family and we grew to love him,” Tazuna said. “He wound up marrying my daughter. Super! And he especially spent a lot of time with Inari.”

“Inari?” Naruto asked with a confused expression.

“My grandson,” Tazuna explained, pouring another dish of sake. “He’s out right now, or I’d introduce you. But he got really, really close with Kaiza. He saw the man as the Father he never knew. A lot of what Kaiza said was how important it was to protect those precious to you, with his two arms, he’d always say. Well, when he saw how Gato was trying to take over the Land of Waves…heh.”

Tazuna shook his head and drank his sake. “Kaiza stood up to Gato and tried to rally the village to stand up too. Tried to stop him. But Gato had his thugs sever his arms. An insult and a mockery of what he used to say. Then he executed him in front of the village, even Inari.”

Naruto got very wide eyes.

“It was at that point that we decided to build the bridge,” Tazuna continued. “We needed it to break Gato’s hold on the Land of Waves and we still need it now keep ourselves free. Although…”

Tazuna began to laugh. “I think the gods might’ve had enough of Gato’s garbage given what happened to their company. Kaiza’s probably laughing too, in the pure world. Serves them right.”

The three shinobi looked at each other while Tazuna was staring into his sake dish.

“Serves them all right.”

---

“How’s it looking?” Kakashi asked, landing on the same branch that Hisako was squatting on.

“It’s quiet,” Hisako replied, taking another scan of the horizon. “I don’t see any sign of hostiles, even though we’re close to the shore. Naruto’s distraction must’ve worked.”

“It must’ve,” Kakashi nodded with an eye-smile. “I’m heading out to check on Sasuke.”

“Wait, Sensei?” Hisako held out her hand to stop him from leaving. “I need to ask you something.”

“Alright, what did you need?” Kakashi asked.

“Well…the Chunin exams are coming up,” Hisako began. “And two weeks afterwards are the Jounin exams. Right?”

“Yes, that’s right,” Kakashi nodded.

“I wanted to ask,” Hisako continued. “If you’d sponsor my entry into the Jounin exams. Please.”

Kakashi hummed, turning the request around in his head as he thought. “Yes, I’d love to sponsor you. I think you’re ready.”

“Really?” Hisako asked, beaming. She stood up and embraced her sensei. “Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!”

“You’re welcome, Hisako-chan,” Kakashi replied, returning the hug. “But really, you deserve it. You’ve worked really hard to get where you’re at so I think you’ll pass the exams with flying colors.”

“Thank you, Sensei,” Hisako broke the hug and went into a bow. “I couldn’t have done it without you.”

Kakashi just waved it off. “Don’t worry about it. Just keep training and doing what you’re doing and you’ll be fine. Now, I got to go see how Sasuke is doing…”

---

“Did anyone catch her name?” Shizo asked.

“Hisako,” Rookie replied. “That seems familiar.”

“It does and it’s bothering me,” Shizo replied with a nod.

The penguins were all sitting beneath the struts that held Tazuna’s house above the ground, the hole they had dug to let them get underneath from the ocean without being seen partially filled with water next to them.

Riku just shrugged.

“Wait, Hisako,” Masato snapped his fins together. “I remember! That’s the name of one of Daisuke’s teammates!”

“You’re right,” Shizo nodded. Then he got this really, really uncomfortable look on his face. “Oh, that’s not good.”

“So, are we not supposed to use lethal force anymore?” Rookie asked with a frown.

“Negative, and that’s why it’s not good,” Shizo responded. “If we use exclusively non-lethal tactics, they’re going to figure it out and then it’s going to become harder for us to not get killed in action.”

“Daisuke’s not with the Hidden Leaf anymore,” Masato pointed out. “So, we have to assume that they will not hold back because we’re Daisuke’s summon team.”

“Oh,” Rookie looked disappointed. “But we don’t have to exclusively use lethal tactics, do we?”

“No, of course not,” Shizo shook his head. “We might wind up favoring those a little bit when we can afford it. But if this turns into an up close and personal fight, we can’t put on kiddie-flippers.”

“But Captain,” Masato began with a look of concern. “What if we have to kill one of them in self-defense?”

“Then I guess Daisuke’s just going to have to forgive us,” Shizo pointed out with a deep frown. “For now, keep up surveillance and see if we can isolate the target. That way Daisuke himself can handle his team and we can avoid getting our flippers dirty.”

---

“See you later,” Nichiren bade farewell. “Don’t worry, the bridge is in good hands.”

The trio dashed off and got met with the other three on the road.

“We’ll head back to the office,” Kakashi instructed. “From there, I want a full report from the three of you.”

“Yes, Sensei,” Nichiren replied with a bow.

With that, they took off, never quite aware of the quartet of birds following them under the water, until they zipped into the forest further inland.

Naruto was deeply frowning as he hopped from branch to branch. Thankfully, whatever presence that was watching him seemed to have disappeared for good, because he didn’t need that extra stressor right now. His mind was a cloud of conflicting emotions as he stared ahead, hopping mindlessly forward, following the other Ninja.

“Naruto, are you okay?” Sakura asked with a concerned expression.

“Yeah.” Naruto sighed. “Just thinking is all.”

“About what Tazuna told us?” Sakura asked.

“Uh huh,” Naruto replied. “Look, can we talk about it when we get back? I need to focus on jumping.”

Sakura just frowned deeper. “Okay, Naruto.”

They arrived back in town, getting into the office quickly and arriving in the upstairs office they had designated at their briefing room.

“Alright,” Kakashi began, turning to the three. “What did you find?”

“Tazuna started work on the bridge to break Gato’s hold on the Land of Waves,” Nichiren reported. “Gato himself had been heavily involved in drugs as we knew. He met resistance from the locals, particularly from Kaiza, Tazuna’s son-in-law. Gato’s response was to execute him in front of everyone and mock him. Now that the bridge is complete, the people of Wave now have some hope.”

“Alright, so is there any threat to Konoha or the Land of Fire the bridge’s construction prevented?” Kakashi asked flatly.

“No, Sensei,” Nichiren replied. “Beyond Gato Company itself potentially being a problem, but they’re our clients.”

“Alright, we’ll move to destroy the bridge tomorrow,” Kakashi replied.

“What?” Naruto cried out in alarm. “Sensei, we can’t destroy it! They need this!”

“And our client needs it gone,” Kakashi pointed out. “Which means that Konoha needs it gone. Are you trying to choose a foreign village over your own?”

“Uh,” Naruto froze. “No, no. Sensei, destroying that bridge would be wrong.”

“Letting it stand would be betraying Konoha,” Kakashi replied with a sigh. “Which is also wrong.”

“But,” Naruto began, but for one of the few times in his life was rendered speechless. “But…”

“Naruto,” Sakura put a hand on his shoulder. “It’s okay, Daisuke can just rebuild it when he learns it was destroyed. He might know immediately.”

“But he might not,” Naruto argued. He grunted to himself. “Sensei, I’d like to head out to train. I need to clear my head.”

Kakashi considered that.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Hisako replied with a frown. “We’ve got enemy Ninja in the area and we don’t know where they are or even who.”

“I say let him,” Sasuke argued. “We can’t afford to have one of us not be committed to the mission. If this helps, it’ll only be better for all of us in the long run.”

“Everyone, stop talking,” Kakashi ordered.

The office fell silent.

“Naruto,” Kakashi began. “Use clones to disguise your exit. Be back before tomorrow morning. If you run into trouble…”

Kakashi produced a kunai with a tag wrapped around it. “Activate the flare tag and throw it into the air. We’ll come find you. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Sensei,” Naruto nodded. “Thank you. I’ll be careful.”

“Can we come?” Sakura asked quickly.

“Sakura, thanks,” Naruto said with a smile. “But…I need to be on my own for this. Alright?”

“…okay,” Sakura nodded. “I don’t like it, though.”

“Be careful, idiot,” Sasuke cautioned.

“Careful’s my middle name, duck butt,” Naruto retorted hotly. “I’ll be fine.”

“You better,” Sasuke replied.

“Sensei, are you sure about this?” Hisako asked with a frown.

“I am,” Kakashi replied quietly. “I’ll follow him. You two get some rest, we’ve got work to do tomorrow.

“Yes, Sensei,” Hisako replied with a bow.

---

Much later in the day, when the sun had set and the stars were out, Naruto’s clones were disappearing and Naruto himself was standing in the middle of a clearing in the trees, panting heavily. Still doesn’t feel like I have an answer.

Naruto sat on the ground. Can’t destroy the bridge, that’d destroy the people here. Can’t not destroy the bridge, that’d be betraying my dad.

He fell onto his back, his eyes slowly starting to close. Just need a way…to make everyone happy…

He fell asleep.

Kakashi descended upon his pupil with a cheerful look in his eye. He bent to pick up Naruto, only for Naruto to stir from his slumber almost immediately, waking with a start.

“Kakashi-sensei?” Naruto asked with a frown, quickly standing up. “What are you doing here?”

“Just making sure you were okay,” Kakashi replied with an eye-smile. “Do you feel better?”

“No,” Naruto shook his head. “Really, Sensei…I need to be alone.”

“Naruto, it’s time that we head back,” Kakashi replied, reaching forward. “Come on, let’s go. We can talk some more at base.”

“No, sensei,” Naruto got an angry expression on his face. “I need to be alone! I have to work this out by myself.”

“I can’t really let you actually be alone, Naruto,” Kakashi’s eye narrowed. “Come on, I know you’re having some trouble, but we can help.”

Then Naruto took off running. Kakashi reached forward to grab his pupil, but missed. “Wait! Naruto, stop! Come back, we can talk about this!”

With a grunt, Kakashi charged after his pupil, dodging through foliage in an attempt to catch his Sensei’s son.

---

The four penguins descended on Naruto’s sleeping body.

“Rookie, check for Genjutsu,” Shizo ordered with a frown.

Rookie leaned back onto his flippers and brought his claws up for a claw-sign. “Kai!”

The Naruto that they were all standing around immediately disappeared.

“We’ve been had,” Shizo kicked the ground in anger. “Alright men, spread out and try to find him. If someone grabbed him, they can’t have gone far.”

“How long do you think it’ll take for the Sensei to realize he’s being tricked?” Rookie asked with a frown.

“I reckon we’ve got two minutes, no more,” Masato guessed with a glare down the woods. “We need to not be here when he gets back, lest we get attacked through mistaken identity.”

“If you find him, signal by Ice Mortar,” Shizo ordered with a glare.

---

“Naruto, hold on!” Kakashi zipped in front of his pupil, grabbing him by both shoulders. “This is rediculo-”

Then the clone popped.

Kakashi’s eye was wide as he realized what had just happened. Naruto managed to fool me with a clone.

If it weren’t for the fact that Naruto was out in the woods, alone and likely training himself to exhaustion with enemy ninja around, Kakashi would’ve been patting himself on the back for his great teaching. But as it stood, Kakashi needed to find Naruto immediately.

The copy Nin ran back to the clearing he thought Naruto had been training in, and, as expected, there was no Naruto. He looked around, trying to find anything resembling tracks running off into the forest.

I can’t believe I actually got fooled by a clone, Kakashi thought, shaking his head at his own stupidity. It wouldn’t have happened if I had the Sharingan out, but I didn’t want to waste chakra if we got attacked…

“Naruto?” Kakashi called out. “Naruto!”

He walked up one of the trees, checking to see if a branch had snapped or otherwise showed signs of recent use. He saw nothing of the sort. He looked side to side, up, then down. Finally, however, he caught an orange thread, barely visible in the night that had been stuck on a branch.

This way, Kakashi thought, his eye narrowing.

He followed the trail, and found himself in yet another clearing, Naruto looking a lot more beat up, having trained himself to exhaustion. Around him, the trees were broken and knocked down, punched to pieces.

Honestly, I’m really impressed. Kakashi shook his head, kneeling down to pick up Naruto. Using your clones to distract like that…I can’t believe I fell for it. And I told you to do it! Let’s get you back to base.

Feeling absolutely relieved to have found his charge, Kakashi started the trip home with a happy skip in his step.

---

“Did you find him?” Shizo asked as the four reconvened.

Riku rapidly shook his head, taking a playing card out of his beak and then making it vanish right from his flipper.

“That is not good,” Shizo said with a worried look on his face. “Someone else is operating in our AO and we don’t know who they are.”

“Captain, the odds of this being another Shinobi are high, especially if they are from Kirigakure,” Masato began, rubbing the underside of his beak. “We need to watch for Water Release and sudden bouts of thick fog.”

“Men, we are moving to High Alert,” Shizo ordered with a sharp glare. “I want this Island blockaded. Nothing with chakra gets in or out without our say-so. Use icebergs, spikes, whatever. The target cannot be allowed to leave for the Land of Water.”

“Captain?” Rookie raised a flipper. “What if the target managed to get home early and left the Genjutsu as a prank on his sensei?”

Shizo’s head slowly turned to Rookie with an almost insulted expression that Rookie completely missed. “Alright, Rookie. If you want to sign up for watch duty on the rest of the Shinobi, we’ll let you. If you see the target, signal by Ice Mortar.”

“You got it!” Rookie smiled.

“The rest of you, get to patrolling,” Shizo ordered. “I want him found. Now.”

With that, the four penguins disbanded, sliding forward on their stomachs like land-bound torpedoes with one mission on their mind.

Find Uzumaki Naruto.

---

Watching the drama unfold from within the shadows, Jashin shook his head with an annoyed sigh.

That was depressingly simple.

---

Author’s Note: I hope you guys liked this chapter. More page breaks than I usually do, but there’s a lot of scenes and pov’s to juggle and I’m still trying to figure out how to do that smoothly.

For those wondering what happened there, Kakashi got caught by a Genjutsu without realizing it, then found a henged clone left by Jashin. The Penguins then checked for Genjutsu after Jashin had already made off with Naruto and then couldn’t find him because Jashin synced another Genjutsu with Rookie’s dispelling it.

So yes.

Jashin has Naruto.

Who wants to start taking bets on how long it’ll take for Naruto to bring Jashin to the light?

Shout out goes out too Seeking Raven, the newest Super Patron! Everyone, give him a big hand! Welcome! Thank you for your support, I can’t stress enough how much I appreciate it.

A big thank you also for Melden V, Anders Kronquist, Ray Tony Song, Volkogluk, Aaron Bjornson, iolande, Martin Auguado, Julio, Jiopaba, Hackerham, Tim Collins-Squire, Maben00, Sultan Saltlick, Ventari, PbookR, RichardWhereat, Seij, ChristobalAlvarez, Aenor Knight, Apperatus and EPiCJB19. Your contributions help keep these stories flowing!

Until the next time!

~Fulcon

30. aimlessPolymath

aimlessPolymath Getting sticky.

I feel sorry for Jashin.