1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Stand By Me (Worm/JoJo SI)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Leingod, Mar 19, 2018.

1. MechaJesus

MechaJesus Versed in the lewd.

Uh...

What is that exactly and why does he need it?

2. dnkru135

dnkru135 Getting out there.

It's the Belmont Crest which is worn by Belmont characters in Castlevania.

3. IsaacTheAutobot1229

IsaacTheAutobot1229 Not too sore, are you?

Well, that is going into the "Badass" folder.

4. Leingod

Leingod Immaculate Blooming Lotus

The crest? Yeah, it's pretty cool. A bit too intricate for a birthmark, though.

5. dnkru135

dnkru135 Getting out there.

Well this is the simplified crest if you're interested in the idea
    [​IMG]

Prince Charon likes this.
  6. Dudenator

Dudenator Know what you're doing yet?

Not bad and the SI didn't come off as a obnoxious prick in the first two chapters unlike so many SI's which try to hard, that said while going for Taylor is cliche it's not too bad on it's own. However i'd recommend not just rehashing things from canon (Lung fight > Join Undersiders > Bankjob etc) also a big problem with cliche's in worm isn't people using them so much as it's when the fic becomes nothing but one cliche after another instead of an actual plot.

ThedudeManBro, Ergoan and Leingod like this.
  7. Leingod

Thanks! Glad the SI isn't coming across as insufferable just yet.

And trust me, I have no intention of just rehashing a bunch of canon events. I mean, stuff that the SI and the ripples he creates (couldn't resist) through his actions (and simply through his arrival in Earth Bet) can't reasonably change or influence are still going to happen, but two of the three you just quoted don't fall under that aegis and the last is going to either happen offscreen or in a short interlude if I think the outcome and events would change enough to make that worthwhile, so hopefully that'll be enough.

8. Dudenator

Dudenator Know what you're doing yet?

I think you misunderstood abit those were just put up as examples since they're the most common alongside cliches such as 'prefect flawless untouchable woobiesiders who never do anything bad' or 'Taylor goes for a walk trips over Lisa and becomes best friends 10 seconds later' another bad one would be 'flanderizing the PRT to the point even the gangs look better' etc.

You can still use such things in a fic, i just feel it becomes really boring and bland when you use too many of them if that makes sense.

But yeah the SI is going better than 90% of SI's i've read so far when it coems to personality or something like that.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  9. Leingod

Oh, that's definitely not happening. The moral ambiguity is the most interesting thing about most of the street-level stuff in this series, why would I take that away?

Sweet, from personal experience that puts me at "just about tolerable." Much better than expected.:D

10. IsaacTheAutobot1229

No, that puts you at "watched like a cheese-burger by a fat man" level of interest. (This sentence makes sense to me, not sure if it does to anyone else though.)

11. Pancakes

Pancakes Getting sticky.

The SI is gonna run into money problems fairly soon if he keeps living off only stolen money. He has no id so he can't get a actual job without going to the PRT probably. Also don't see anyway Taylor will be able to help him get financial security.
    This Taylor also has probably already joined the undersiders, otherwise she's kinda ooc.

12. Leingod

He caught her at a very bad time, on a day where just hours ago at most she seriously considered going Carrie on Winslow High, even if only for a moment. Even early on in the story, there were moments where Taylor could be hostile and combative when the wrong buttons were pushed at the wrong time, and this was one of those times.

13. IsaacTheAutobot1229

So right place, REALLY wrong time?

14. Leingod

That's one way to put it. Don't worry, though, it totally won't be a running theme or anything.;)

Solconbur and Prince Charon like this.
  15. CrowesDebt

CrowesDebt Activate the Third Hand

Well if that’s a case like that, then I shudder to see when he’s at the wrong place, at the very right time.

Solconbur likes this.
  16. IsaacTheAutobot1229

Contessa getting a Dynamic Entry maybe?

17. MrTwistr

MrTwistr Not too sore, are you?

This looks really interesting so far.

Mammal_man and Leingod like this.
  18. GameDragon

GameDragon Writing. Probably. Hopefully.

This is a great story, and i had an idea like this, but never went anywhere with it. Had a hard time justifying the power of all the stands and not overlooking any of them. This a great beginning and looking forward to more chapters!

Leingod likes this.
  19. Leingod

Well, a lot of outfits in JJBA incorporate some kind of jumpsuit...

Thanks! I really wanted to see someone use an idea like this, too, but since I never saw one I figured I might as well bite the bullet and try out my first Worm fic at the same time.

That said, as far as not overlooking any of them, there's definitely going to be several Stands that just don't get used, either because they're nigh-useless in the SI's hands due to a lack of necessary skills (Pearl Jam confers no skill in diagnosing ailments or cooking), their conditions/powers are too deleterious to even consider (Cheap Trick can go fuck itself), or their powers are just too obscure/esoteric to get much use out of (Sugar Mountain's Spring is pretty much pointless). Dragon's Dream, Tubular Bells, Highway to Hell, etc. are all Stands that fall into one or more of these categories and thus likely aren't going to make an appearance.

Hopefully the OC Stands I'll be introducing can make up for that.

20. Mammal_man

Mammal_man Making the rounds.

I get that Dragon's Dream is unusable without knowledge in Feng Shui and to use Highway you need to be suicidal, but, Why not Tubular Bells? It seems like a good Stand for tracking and for mid-long range combat.

Solconbur and Ergoan like this.
  21. Leingod

Because you have to actually know how to shape the balloon into what you want to get anything of value out of it, and I can't make balloon animals for sh*t. Similar problems apply for Paper Moon King (though at least in that one you can use origami made by other people).

Pearl Jam, BTW, is the epitome of this, as it is a Stand that is basically only useful in the hands of a man like Tonio Trussardi. Pearl Jam enhances the nutritional and curative properties of ingredients to heal specific ailments; thus, you'd need Tonio's ability to diagnose peoples' ailments and his encyclopedic knowledge of what ingredients can help with what kinds of ailments. But on top of that, both the quality of the ingredients and the quality of the resulting dish determine the strength of the effect, so you also need to be a skilled chef who can work with all kinds of different, sometimes esoteric, ingredients to maximize the Stand's effectiveness.

I kind of like that about JJBA. There are a lot of Stands that are much weaker than they should be because the user is an idiot or otherwise a limiting factor (Oingo and Boingo, Okuyasu, etc.), but then there are Stands like Pearl Jam and Dragon's Dream, which would be completely worthless in the hands of almost anyone else. It's a very realistic take on superpowers, and is actually a quality it seems to share with Worm.

22. Fenrir

Fenrir Bites The Dust!

And then you have stuff like Hey Ya(gives amazing advice), Notorious B.I.G(becomes an unstoppable killing machine after the user dies), Super Fly, and Cheap Trick(which is actively trying to kill whoever its current user is*).

*So like Leet's issues with his own Shard.

PlasticSoldier and Solconbur like this.
  23. Leingod

That's actually a misconception. Araki has clarified that Hey Ya! does not give supernaturally good advice or make the user lucky; its only "power" is to encourage and motivate the user. Pocoloco's success was purely due to his own absurdly good luck; the real contribution from Hey Ya! was a constant stream of encouragement so that Pocoloco would keep pushing forward and let his luck do the rest by making it all work out for him in the end.

24. Mammal_man

Hey Leingod, do you have a list of wich Stands Dion can use right now without dying horribly and violently?

Leingod likes this.
  25. Leingod

I hadn't completely decide on everything before now, but yes. I'll even be nice and also throw out the ones where he'd end up "just" seriously hurting himself by trying to use.
    • All Along the Watchtower
    • Burning Down the House
    • California King Bed
    • Cheap Trick
    • Chocolate Disco
    • Deep Purple (Hermit Purple)
    • Doggy Style
    • Dragon's Dream
    • Fun Fun Fun
    • Harvest
    • Hey Ya!
    • High Voltage (Bastet)
    • Highway to Hell
    • Joy Division
    • Love Deluxe
    • Memory of Jet
    • Moody Blues
    • Mr. President
    • Ocean Man (Dark Blue Moon)
    • Oh! Lonesome Me
    • Paper Moon King
    • Pearl Jam
    • Public Image Limited
    • Super Fly
    • Survivor
    • Talking Head
    • Tatoo You!
    • The Book
    • The Hex (Ebony Devil)
    • Tubular Bells
    • Voodoo Child
    • Walking Heart
    • Who Do You Want To Be? (Khnum)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  26. Mammal_man

Why are there two Ebony Devils?

27. Fenrir

Fenrir Bites The Dust!

I assume one is for the actual Stand, and the other is for the doll it possesses.

28. Mammal_man

But why tho? It's the same stand just possessing a physical object.

29. Leingod

I had two different name ideas for it and didn't realize I'd written them both.

30. Mammal_man

Can Superfly turn any structure into a Stand or only transmission towers? Maybe it summons towers, it'd be hilarious if you activated it and a goddamn 60 meter tower came out the fucking ground.

Solconbur likes this.