• A notice about Rule 3 regarding sites hosting pirated/unauthorized content has been made. Please see here for details.
  • Staff is working to deal with the problem of synonymous tags. See here for more information and to suggest tag mergers.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.

StarWars. A Lifetime with Darkness. Padawan

I enjoyed this arc a lot, thank you for sharing. There's an economy to the writing, and how it leaves enough connections implicit rather than spell everything out. There were only a couple times where that balance went too much towards the implicit and made me feel lost instead of intrigued. The character interactions are well-written, and the characters themselves seem well-realized instead of being puppeted around.

I tend to prefer larger chapters to less than 1k words of single scenes, but at least you posted them all at once :).

Looking forward to reading more.
 
I enjoyed it after binging it all! Sometimes however I can get confused at quite what is going on, much like our protagonist I think lol.

Poor buddy just needs some time off (and not get sexually harassed by alien women all the damn time lmao)
 
Poor buddy just needs some time off (and not get sexually harassed by alien women all the damn time lmao)

I am wondering what Arla's father would do when he hears his precious daughter found some one.

It's one thing being harassed by alien women, and totally another by fathers lol.
 
1. A date New
"Again," said Cera in my mind.

Swatting away a bead of sweat, I slowly inhaled, focusing on my breath, and sharply exhaled before returning to the initial position.

My lightsaber facing forward, my feet even, shoulders slightly up.

"Why Shii-Cho?" I asked in my mind before committing to another Shii-Cho velocity. "Don't you know anything else? Ataru, perhaps?"

"Because it's simple,"
she said. "And you need simple to recognise when your control slips. Begin."

Letting the Force flow, I swung my saber, taking a step forward and attacking Zone 2—right shoulder—and immediately stepped back, swinging through Zone 5—right leg. Sarlacc lashing out.

Projecting the intent to cut, to take the limbs away, I recalled the smell of Totto's burning flesh, beginning a Force-induced loop.

Cut. Burn. Maim.

Boosted by the Force, feeding the loop of totally not Jedi desires, I picked up the speed, slicing air with my humming saber.

Breathe. Focus. Let it go.

Breaking and starting the loop again, I tethered to the edge and increased speed.

More.

And it was working. I was faster, stronger. Lethal. But most importantly, in control. Almost.

Breathe.

Working myself to the bone, I taught myself to let it go when everything in me screamed for more.

Focus.

Finishing the Sarlacc Sweep, targeting multiple imaginary enemies, I changed the last swing from cutting a head off to the Sum djem, swinging at the weapon of my imaginary opponent.

Let it go.


The Force vibrated around me as I rested back into the initial position, my saber facing forward.

"Who taught you that?" Master Vin's voice echoed through the empty salles. Shit. I was sure I was alone…

"Master Vin," I said, turning around. And sure enough, here he was, standing by the closed door. Was he here all this time?

"Answer the question, Knight Lose," he said, staring into my eyes.

It reminded me of the time we spoke last, when he told me about the choice. And about the one I had made. Back there, on Ryloth.

"I live to serve," I said, calmly staring back.

He tilted his head as something changed in his eyes, taking away a sharp edge I had just felt.

"That you do," he finally said, echoing Cera's words I had heard on Ryloth, right before everything changed for me. "Your form is shit."

A laugh escaped my lips. They are so alike.

"Tell him,"
said Master Cera, appearing in her ghostly form before him and placing her hand on his cheek. "Tell him about how I died."

Glancing between her and him, I realised that for whatever reason, he didn't see her. Nor did he feel her touch.

"Master Cera said the same," I said, looking down at my saber and turning it off before beginning to flip it lazily in my hand.

"You know, before she died, she used everything she had to save kids. Everything. Even her body was just gone," I said, looking up.

He stared at me through her ghostly form, saying not a word.

"She could have just saved herself, maybe even restored her health, by simply absorbing them, but she didn't," I said, remembering the pull of the Hunger.

"She would never," he said, closing his eyes. "She is one with the Force now."

If you only knew.

"Tomorrow, at six," he said, sharply opening his eyes. "Don't make me wait."

And before I had even a chance to open my mouth, he was gone, leaving the door wide open.

"Lesson is over," said Cera, staring after Master Vin. "I will be away for some time. Don't get into trouble."

And she was gone, too.

How fortunate. I didn't want her to come on my date anyway.

—

"So, where do we go?" R'ana asked, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"It's a surprise," I said, hiding a smile.

Walking down the Temple's main stairs, we didn't look like Jedi. No robes, no lightsabers hanging on our belts. I was in the jacket I bought on Corellia. She was in a nice summer dress, with a green shawl over her shoulders. A totally normal-looking couple, on a totally normal date on a sunny day. The way I wanted.

My wrist-comm beeped, and I glanced at the message. Just in time.

"This way," I said, grabbing her hand and pulling her towards the landing cab. Her cold and delicate fingers in my palm almost made me fly. She laughed, squeezing my hand, and didn't let it go.

The cab door opened, and we squeezed into the back seat. Still holding hands.

"Should I close my eyes?" she asked, leaning on my shoulder as the cab lifted from the ground. "So I don't see where we're going?"

"Should be fine," I replied, gently playing with our intertwined fingers. "We can play a game to distract you."

"What game?" she asked, moving slightly away and looking at me, and I already missed her warm touch on my shoulder.

"You need to guess what kind of gift I have for you. I'll say whether it's warm or cold," I said, looking into her green eyes.

"Like the Hot and Cold game?" she asked, raising her eyebrow.

"Exactly! But no cheating, no using the Force," I said, smiling.

"Alright!" she said as her eyes briefly ran over my body. "It should be small, probably in your pocket."

"Hot," I said with a nod.

"A necklace?"

"Cold," I said, enjoying it. "Freezing cold."

—

Helping R'ana out of the cab, I couldn't hold my smile. Neither could she. Gently pressing the perfume bottle to her chest, she left the cab and accidentally leaned on my chest.

Just for a second, I lost myself in her eyes, forgetting where we were or what we came for. My heart drummed in my ears as she leaned her head back, almost offering her lips for a kiss—

"Sorry!" Someone bumped into us.

On instinct alone, I caught their hand, already in my pocket, and looked down, and down. Aleena.

"It was accidental!" the aleena specimen exclaimed, looking up at me. "Let me go."

Ignoring the wriggling, I looked around, sensing attention directed at us and immediately spotted two massive besalisks moving our way. Fun.

"Let them go, Taren," R'ana asked me, placing her hand on my shoulder. "No harm done."

Looking into her eyes, I nodded and let them go. There was no point in ruining our date.

"Is this where we go?" she asked, nodding towards the restaurant behind me. "Little Keldabe. Interesting."

"I hope you like spicy food," I said, smiling. "But if you don't, I have a backup plan."

"No, no need. I love spicy food," she said convincingly. Too convincingly.

"You sure?" I asked, glancing at the wooden door over my shoulder. What is wrong?

Instead of answering, she grabbed my elbow and pulled me across the sidewalk. The door dinged as she forcefully opened it, and I had no choice but to enter after her. Something was really wrong here.

"Welcome to Little Keldabe. A little home away from home!" the waitress greeted us. "A table for two?"

"Kajir par t'ad, cyar'ika," said R'ana, surprising me. Table for two?

"Jiila," the waitress said, turning around and pointing at a table. "Olar."

"Vor'e," replied R'ana, waving her away and pulling me to the table.

"I didn't know you spoke Mando'a," I said as she dropped me in the chair and walked around the table to take her seat.

She froze before slowly turning toward me. Her eyes found mine, and she searched for something in my gaze.

"You don't," she whispered. "You really don't."

"No, I don't?" I said, looking at her. What kind of minefield did I land in?

"I'm so sorry," she whispered, hiding her face in her palms and dropping into her chair. "Of course you don't. Stupid me."

Leaning forward, I gently touched her hand. "Care to share?"

"Me'copaani gaa'tayl, ori'vod?" the waitress asked, appearing at our table with a leather-bound menu and a smile that made me feel like I was at gunpoint.

This was a mistake.

"Vor'e,"
R'ana said, rubbing her face before looking up. "Ni jate."

Definitely a mistake.


Waving the waitress away, she turned towards me, and I felt her closing up. Whatever had caused her reaction, she just buried it deep inside herself.

"I was almost seven when I was brought to the Temple," she began, shifting her gaze away. "I only spoke Mando'a back then."

Listening to her story, I nodded along. It wasn't bad per se, but neither was it pretty. Kids never needed much to start pushing buttons.

I knew it very well, being the last in class. Or ginger, back on Earth.

—

"… and that was why I chose to become a healer instead of competing for a Padawanship," R'ana said, sipping on her tea.

"It suits you," I said, sipping my own quite spicy tea. Way better than a sweet one.

Whatever hiccups and bumps we had were gone now.

"I wouldn't have it any other way," she said, placing her cup down and reaching for my hand. "Now you must tell me why you have chosen this place. Only truth."

Feeling her now almost hot-to-the-touch fingers on my hand, I realised that… I hadn't thought about that. It was a decision on a whim, perhaps influenced by the spice Jasper had shared with me, but remembering Lady Vizsla…

Looking around, I realised that, perhaps, it was a really bad idea to come here.

My wrist-comm beeped, then beeped again, and using it as an excuse, I glanced at the screen. Oh fuck.

"What is it?" asked R'ana.

"I've been summoned to the High Council," I said slowly. Cera, what did you do? "Urgently."

"That's unusual," she said, letting my hand go and waving to the waitress. "Do you know why?"

"It didn't say." But I have my own suspicions. "Sorry. I really should go."

"Not your fault," she said, sadly smiling. "You are a Knight. That will always be your priority."

"Those old farts. They ruined our date," I sighed dramatically, fetching a credit chip.

"Don't say that." She playfully clapped my arm, smiling. "They deserve respect."

"Of course," I smiled back, remembering that at least one of those old farts could read my mind. Cera, we are in trouble.

But wherever she was, she was either busy or didn't hear me. What did you do?

"Your bill," the waitress said and, spotting the credit chip in my hand, fished out the reader.

It didn't take me long to pay it.

"Let's go?" I said, returning the reader to the waitress. "I'll call the cab."

—

Getting out of the cab, we both looked up at the stairs leading back into the Temple. This is it.

"You know, I wanted to tell you something," she began, taking my hand, "but then that aleena happened, and, well, the Little Keldabe made me totally forget about it..."

"Hm," I hummed, looking away from the stairs and getting captured by her gaze. She was so close.

"I don't remember much about my mother. But when I tried the perfume back there in the cab, I… It smelt like her," she said as her face got closer and closer to mine. And before I knew it, she pecked me on the lips, leaving a burning aftertaste. Spice. Spice and wood. "Thank you."

And then she ran.

Watching her hurry up the stairs, I felt like… like… I am in love, am I?

"I hope your panic calls have nothing to do with kissing a woman. I refuse to give you the Talk,"
said Cera, appearing at my side and watching R'ana, too.

Oh, for God's sake.

"I have been summoned to the High Council,"
I thought, sighing heavily.

"On the other hand, the Talk doesn't look like much trouble now," she said, turning towards me. "What did you do?"

"Sure it's not your doing?"
I asked, raising my eyebrow and looking back at her.

"Absolutely. Now, let's put you back in robes and make a quick stop somewhere before you go to find what the hassle is."

It felt like trouble.

—

"What do you want?" Master Vin questioned me, opening the door. To his private quarters. She didn't warn me.

"Would you agree if I did?"
she asked, appearing behind Master Vin.

No, of course not. What am I doing here?

"He ignores me,"
she said. "Stupid reek."

"There is something you need to know," I said with a sigh. Women. "Privately and urgently."

He silently stepped aside, and I squeezed in, curiously looking around. His quarters were as old as he was, with a few things collecting dust here and there.

"Be short," he said, closing the door. "I'm in no mood for talks."

"As you ever were. Tell him you see me too. That I am not his stupid Dark Side Temptation," she said, dramatically throwing her hands up in frustration.

"I see her too," I said, turning around and pointing at her projection or whatever it was. "She is the one who taught me that technique you saw me doing in the salles this morning."

"Cera." Her name vibrated in the Force in his voice as he slowly turned towards her. "Is it really you?"

"Finally, you dumbass."


"I thought…"

"I know what you thought. Now let me block his memories before he goes to the High Council, and you tell him to come back here after."

Wait—


~

Blinking bright spots away, I looked at Master Vin's face. Where am I?

"Hm, you seem fine," he said, moving away, and I realised I was lying on a sofa. Master Vin's quarters.

How did I get here? Right, after a date with R'ana, I stopped to tell him about the High Council summons… Why?

"Come back after the meeting with the High Council, and we'll figure it out then," he said, turning away. "Now go, don't make them wait."

Figure out what?

Right, I came to ask about… about something… training. Yes, training.

"Alright. Thank you, Master Vin," I said, rising from the sofa. Why am I on the sofa?

Later. Hurry up.


Leaving his apartment, I glanced at the door that had closed behind me. I was missing something. Something important…

My wrist-comm beeped, receiving a message. A summons to the High Council with no further delay.

Great.

—

"Masters," I greeted the full council with a bow, glancing at Librarian Tan standing at the side. What is she doing here?

"We reviewed your report," began Master Vocu Dam as other Council members stared at me. Some with curiosity, others disapproving. "And while none of the tragic events were your fault, some of your actions raised questions in the Senate."

"You are too polite, Master Vocu Dam," snorted Master Ater. An old cathar, with his fur sporting white strands here and there. "Knight Lose. We summoned you because apparently you couldn't just do a simple mission without leaving havoc behind you. In what world does a simple delivery mission require a race across an old battlefield, hm?"

"It's obvious, Master Ater," said another Master and to my surprise, I didn't remember his name. Something Something Mek, a blond human in dark robes. "A hot girl challenged him to the race, and he couldn't resist showing off. And now we have to pay a fine to Denon's officials."

"Fortunately, it also made us aware of an old Sith corsair warship, and Knight Lose did one right thing and escalated the issue immediately," Master Corn calmly said, holding all four of his hands interlocked on his chest. Besalisks.

"And that the shuttle he recovered in the old wing still has a working transponder from the New Sith War era," chimed in another Master. Wild-looking feathers instead of hair on their head and a sharp-looking beak, a bird in robes, really. Master Shi-Khen. Fosh.

"Which brings us back to the matter at hand," Grandmaster On said slowly, silencing everyone. A dark-skinned near-human of the delphidian species. Like my Master. "Knight Lose, your mission is to accompany Librarian Tan to the Denon system as Captain James Cameron, a captain who just so happens to have found an old shuttle from the New Sith War era and become our trusted chartered freighter captain. Questions?"

"Why as James Cameron?" I asked with a bow.

"Because Knight Lose was never on Ryloth," he said with a sigh. "But Captain Cameron left too many trails. Anything else?"

"No, Grandmaster."

"Dismissed."
 
Ooohhh you can see the steamy order politics just wafting off the high council.

Let's hope poor James's mental health continues improving
 
2. Denon. Again New
"Let's go. Your shuttle is ready," said Librarian Tan as soon as we left the High Council Chamber.

"I need to change," I said, sure that I was also forgetting something. Right. "And food. We need food supplies."

"Already taken care of, and LB is delivering your clothes to the hangar as we speak," Librarian Tan said, entering the turbolift.

"I need to stop by Master Vin's quarters," I said, following her inside and frowning. Something about it wasn't right.

"Call him. I am sure he'll understand," she said, pressing the hangar level.

I brought the wrist-comm up and paused with my hand over the display. "I don't have his frequency."

She eyed me suspiciously for a good few seconds, then reached for her datapad and typed something.

"Here, be quick," she said, turning the datapad towards me with his profile and personal frequency code on its display.

Frowning, I typed the frequency on my wrist-comm. I was missing something.

"Yes," Master Vin said, accepting my call.

"Sorry, Master Vin. I have been sent on an urgent mission and am already on my way to the hangar," I said, glancing at Librarian Tan. "I will stop by when I am back."

"Fine," he said grumpily. "Just remember it was your choice."

Choice… what choice?

"Weird," I said, looking at the wrist-comm and the message "End of transmission".

"Any more urgent matters?" she asked as the turbolift reached the hangar floor.

"Actually, yes. My chinar tree," I said, exiting the turbolift, already contacting R'ana.

"Taren?" Hearing her voice, I couldn't keep the smile from creeping onto my face.

"R'ana. I need a favour," I said, fruitlessly trying to pretend to be the Knight I was. "My Master is on a mission, and you are the only hope my tree has."

"What tree?" she asked with a smile in her voice.

"It's a chinar tree, sitting alone in my quarters. Would you mind tending to it while I am on a mission?"

"So you got a mission?"

"Urgent matter, unfortunately," I said with a sigh, watching Librarian Tan walk in front of me and pretending not to listen. "Leaving in a few minutes."

"Alright, send me your access code. But fair warning, I've never tended to a tree before."

"I believe in you. I'll call you later?"

"Please. May the Force be with you, Knight Lose," she said playfully.

"May the Force be with you, Healer Vo," I said, finishing the call and sending the access code.

Just in time.

We were already in the hangar, reaching my shuttle with the painted Vizsla sigil on its hull.

Shit, that could be a problem.

"Masters," LB greeted us, appearing at the lowered ramp. "The fuel tank is full. The food has been received and secured properly, according to protocols. Your belongings are in the crew quarters. The shuttle is ready to depart."

"Thank you, LB," Librarian Tan said, walking up the ramp.

"Good to see you, LB. Ready to fly Lose Airlines again?" I joked, following after Librarian Tan.

"For the record, I was against it, Master Lose."

"I heard that," called Librarian Tan from within the cargo bay. "And it's Captain Cameron for the duration of this mission. Now hurry up, you two."

"You heard her, buddy," I said, clapping LB on the shoulder. "Let's get this baby into the air."

"Acknowledged, Captain Cameron," LB said, sharply turning. "I'd better secure my body before takeoff."

Watching LB hurry across the cargo bay, I couldn't hide my smile. It was learning.

—

"What exactly should I do in Denon?" I asked as we entered hyperspace.

"Denon officials don't know about the Sith corsair warship," she said, releasing buckles and standing up. "Officially, we are there to disable active systems on the Jedi warships."

"And unofficially?" I asked, checking readings and locking the dashboard.

"Help Master Kr'an and me board the Sith corsair warship," she said, leaving the cockpit.

"I beg your pardon?" I said, looking over the chair. "Last time that thing almost got me!"

"Check your weapon systems," she said without turning or stopping. "I'm going to take a shower and sleep. Don't wake me up."

"Sure thing, Boss!" I called after her. Bossy.

Turning back, I reached for the comp and began tapping through the menu. Weapon systems.

Oh-la-la.


The chin-mounted turret was back in place once again. One of the two laser cannons by the ramp was back too. And the pods got anti-missile rockets. Together with the HE-FRAG Arla found for me, I was ready.

A smile split my face. Oh, I was.

—

Yawning, I looked at the timer. The thirty hours it took us to reach Corellia were uneventful. Really.

I ate, I changed, then read and ate again, while Tan kept sleeping in the crew quarters.

It was boring.

Glancing at the interface I had set on the viewport screen, I smiled through another yawn. At least now, the shuttle had some teeth to show. And with a few adjustments here and there, those teeth were ready. Oh, they were.

The navcomp beeped with the five-minute warning, and I let the Force wash away my tiredness before checking readings. They were fine.

Recalling what had happened when I passed Corellia on my way to Ryloth the last time, I rubbed my face.

Tey.

Was she still there, on Corellia, chasing whatever lead Totto gave her? She gave me her frequency last time. And just for a second I thought about calling her.

The last time she helped me greatly without knowing. If not that, I doubt I would—

A pain flared in my temples, and I rubbed them, focusing on the Force.

What did I just think about? Something about—

Grinding my teeth, I just breathed, trying not to think. This. This wasn't anything good. And I was sure I was forgetting something.

The navcomp beeped again, informing me about exiting hyperspace, and I looked up through the pain. Corellia.

Receiving updates, I decided against calling Tey. Maybe when I'm in Denon.

—

Breathing out in relief, I locked the dashboard and massaged my temples again. Corellia came and went, but I kept returning to that thought about Tey, torturing myself with pain.

Something had happened to me back in the Temple. I remembered having those weird laughs in my head on the way back from Ryloth. I remembered worrying about them and what had happened to me on Ryloth. Then High Council late at night, and then… then… Ouch.

Did they fuck with my memories?


I didn't know. All I had was a subtle feeling of danger coming from the High Council. And I didn't like that. Not one bit.

"Did we just pass Corellia?" asked Tan behind me, and a strong smell of her body hit my nose. She was togruta, like Tey…

Reality split in half, and in one I said, "Yes. Fifteen hours until Denon," while in another I saw an alert on the comm system, on the Jedi emergency frequency.

I saw myself dropping the shuttle out of hyperspace. I saw Librarian Tan hitting hard against the dashboard, and then the message.

"… I repeat. We are under attack and… assistance…" in Tey's voice.

And then the sound of the shattering glass, the merged realities. I threw my hand back, pushing Tan into the cockpit wall, and reached for the emergency reversion lever at the same moment the alert went off.

"Brace!" I shouted, dropping us out of hyperspace.

The whining, the jerking of the shuttle and then the message, as we exited back into normal space. Who knew where.

"... Sending coordinates. I repeat. We are under attack, pinned down on an island with a pirate base located on Arat Fraca. Immediate assistance…"

Exactly like I just saw, but this time Tan didn't hit the dashboard, and navcomp was beeping, showing coordinates.

Arat Fraca. A planet in the Arat Fraca system.

"Premonition?" Tan asked, dropping into the second seat and buckling up.

"Yes." Navcomp beeped, calculating the new route. We were close enough to be there… in five hours.

"What did you see?" she asked, and I looked up, feeling her gaze on me.

"Only the message, but too late to get coordinates," I said, absently running my eyes over her form previously hidden beneath Jedi robes. She was fit.

"Good, that's good." She nodded, turning to the controls and bringing up Arat Fraca's information on the screen. "Jungles, tropical. Island in no man's land of the southern hemisphere. Maps are outdated."

"Why is it good?" I asked, turning back to navcomp. Almost.

"Because it has already happened. Changing vision never ends well. Trust me on that. How long?"

The navcomp beeped once more, finishing the route calculations, and I began turning the shuttle, preparing it for re-entry into hyperspace.

"Four hours and forty-nine minutes," I said, engaging hyperdrive. The stars stretched, forming a hyperspace tunnel. "Including landing."

"Should be fun," she said, checking her buckles again. "Did you know that your re-entry on Ryloth is considered impossible?"

"How do you know about it?" I asked, turning her way. She snorted, giving me a rare smile.

"No one interested in Dragon Void missed that record. It's the hot topic of the week."

—

It was Ryloth all over again.

Microjump to the planet, re-entry and fall through the atmosphere, pretending to be a falling meteor with a burning tail behind us.

Well, technically, before us.

Breathing sharply, I checked readings and glanced at Librarian Tan. She wasn't a twi'lek, an exile, and maybe a pilot. No.

"Registering heavy fighting on the ground," she reported, barely showing that my changes to the inertial compensator affected her at all. Librarian, fuck me sideways. "Heavy blaster repeaters, anti-air defence system."

[ Warning: Targeting system detected ]

Throwing the shuttle sideways, I glanced at the traced blaster fire in the viewport, crossing the sky, and primed HE-FRAGs. A bit more.

Shields beeped with warnings, catching a few stray bolts, and I throttled up, bleeding speed. Just a bit.

"Jammer," Tan said a moment before the readings went crazy, blinding the shuttle systems.


[ Active jamming system detected ]

[ Calibrating ]

[ Identification request received. Transmitting authentication key ]

[ Successful identification ]


"They are using our systems," she said, glancing away from the screen for the first time. "The Army of Light identification codes."

"How fortunate," I said between breaths, switching targeting to manual on launch pods. "Very fortunate."

Whining with repulsors, I disabled main engines and flipped the shuttle 180, for the first time seeing the island with my own eyes in the viewport.

It was burning.

"Package delivery," I mumbled under my breath, activating both pods and sending HE-FRAG payload.

Rocket trails streaked across the sky, each reaching the marker I had just set, and explosion after explosion brought chaos to the ground.

"There." Tan pointed to the far end of the island, lit by heavy blaster fire.

Throwing the shuttle forward, I activated the chin-mounted turret and laid down supporting fire around someone I felt burning in the Force.

Just hold on. Almost there.

"Something is not right," Tan said. I agreed. The Force felt weird. Too much death. Too much pain. Burn. Burn. BURN.

Dropping the shuttle on the beach, I activated the ramp opening and jumped out of the seat, running. Late. Late. Late.

The corridor, the cargo bay. They flashed by as I ran. Burn. Burn. BURN.

"Taren, wait!" Tan called from behind me, but I ignored her. She didn't understand.

Landing on the glassed sand, with raised craters here and there, I ran through smoke, through haze. And all this time, the feeling of what I would find there burned in my chest.

Late. Late. Late.

Burned, maimed bodies were everywhere, among the scorched sand—

Cut. Burn. Maim

—and I felt I knew this song. It thundered in my blood, screamed in my ears.

More.

And then I saw her. Her saber in her hand, raised high, her glowing orange eyes.

Hate. Hate. Hate.

And at her feet was a man. A man I knew. Cut. Maimed. Burnt. A man who was my father, all but in name. Master Yad.

"Taren!" Tan called behind me as I stopped a few feet from Tey. "She has fallen. Together!"

I ignored her, seeing images of us in the cargo bay. Naked and passionate with each other.


"My eyes were on something else…"

"Is she pretty?"

"… her well-being does."



Ignoring the snarl on Tey's face. Ignoring Tan slowly circling her, I stepped closer. And closer.

"So, that's your love interest, Taren," she snarled, showing her bloody teeth. "Does she know about us?"

I ignored that too, stepping closer.

"Does she know how I fucked you senseless?"

"Taren, lightsaber," called Tan, stepping closer too. Her yellow lightsaber in low guard.

"Traitor! You all are traitors!" screamed Tey, jumping at me in a flash.

Time stretched.

Looking at her twisted face—

Cut. Burn. Maim

—I remembered.


"I pull it in, channel it into passion…"

"And then release it back into the Force"

"You are the trouble, aren't you?"



Ignoring the splitting headache, I stepped forward, swatting her lightsaber with my hand. It hurt me.

Cut. Burn. Maim

It hurt like hell, but it didn't cut through.

And I stepped closer, wrestling the lightsaber out of her hand and pressing her hard against myself.

Breathe. Focus. Let it go.

The Force vibrated around me. And the Living Force sang.

And I remembered.

—

Holding Tey as she shook with sobs, I looked at Tan. She met my gaze, tilting her head, and extinguished her lightsaber.

Someone moved at my feet, and I looked down, meeting my Master's gaze. Alive.

"When did you die, Taren?" he asked, and Tey froze in my arms.

"Sorry to disappoint, Master, but we are both alive," I said with a smile.

"Then why do I see you?" he asked. "I am sure I am dead."

"You look alive to me," I said, listening to Tan's footsteps. She was coming closer.

"Nay. I lost half of my torso—" he began, touching the right side, and froze.

I froze too. There, between the burnt robes, was fresh flesh, just as black as Master Yad himself.

Oh shit.

"Force healing?" I proposed, watching Tan squat by Master Yad and press her finger to his exposed side.

She nodded to herself, and then looked around, at the sand around us. I followed her gaze, realising what she had found so interesting.

Here and there, green shoots were pushing through the sand, slowly turning the beach into a small meadow.

Then she poked my hand on Tey's back. The hand I had used against Tey's lightsaber. It didn't hurt.

Bringing it up, I saw why. There was fresh skin, slightly pink, in the place of the burn I was sure I had got from Tey's lightsaber.

"I must say, I read the report on your ability to use Tutaminis, but this is different…" she said, trailing off as she looked at my freshly healed hand.

Cera is going to be mad.

"Mad about what?" she asked in my head, appearing a few steps away and looking around. "Lovely place."

"I think I… Force-restored my hand… and brought Master Yad back to life," I thought, trying not to look her way.

"Nonsense," she said, coming closer and touching him. "Heavy blood loss. Heart failure. Neural damage. Healed now. No, you didn't. He almost died, but didn't."


"Did you hear that?" Tan asked, looking around in alarm. "We should move to the shuttle."

"Oh, she senses me," said Cera, appearing by Tan's side, and Tan jumped sideways, looking around. "A perceptive little shadow, innit?"

"And call for reinforcement," Master Yad said, trying to sit up. "Someone needs to secure this place."

Tey began to shake with sobs again, pushing herself into my chest, and I silently picked her up.

This was a mess. But it didn't need to be solved right here, in the middle of the beach.

"Librarian Tan, if you please," I said, nodding towards Master Yad.

"Of course," she said and helped him to his feet.

"I could wipe their memories," said Cera in my head.

"You'll do no such thing,"
I thought, slowly walking back to the shuttle. "And never again wipe mine without my explicit permission."

"You don't need to worry about that,"
she said, appearing before me and walking backwards.

"What do you mean?"

"You have developed a resistance. Finally," she said, beaming. "I thought it would take longer."

"So you planned it?"
I asked, stepping on the ramp.

"You ask the wrong question."

"And pray tell me what is the right question?"

"What for."

"What for?"

"See, you can learn when you want it." She beamed again. "And the answer is simple. To hunt a Sith."

The fuck.
 
3. A Sith New
"A Sith," I thought, entering the cargo bay with Tey in my arms. "Aren't they all dead?"

"I wish they were,"
she sighed in my head. "But first, I don't like your plan."

Ignoring her, I passed through the airlock and, crossing the corridor, entered the common room.

"LB, do we have the Force-suppressing handcuffs?" I asked, crossing to the sofa, and Tey tensed in my arms.

"We do," said Librarian Tan from behind me. "LB."

"Yes, Master," LB said and clunked out of the room as I gently put Tey on the sofa.

"Look at me," I said, kneeling next to her and placing my hand on her shoulder.

"I understand," she said, as her teary eyes met mine. "I am dangerous."

She looked broken. Given up.

"We all are," I said, squeezing her shoulder. "The handcuffs will help you to relax."

She just blinked at me.

"Anyone care to explain?" asked Master Yad, slowly sitting on the other end of the sofa. "I feel like I am missing something."

"Here," said Librarian Tan, sending something sliding across the table. Handcuffs.

Catching them, I nodded to her and turned back to Tey.

"Where do you want me to put them?" I asked, dangling them in the air. "Left or right arm? Or do you prefer to put them on your lek?"

She blinked at me again, clearly confused, but that was exactly what I needed.

"Left?" she said finally, extending her arm.

"Left it is." I nodded, snapping one cuff around her wrist in one quick motion. "Now, try to relax. Caf? Water?"

Ignoring me, she looked quizzically at the cuffs, with the second cuff weirdly dangling from her wrist.

"I… I don't hear it anymore," she whispered. "It's gone."

Giving her a smile, I stood up and looked at my Master.

"You good?" I asked.

"Considering that I am not dead? Wizard," he said, touching the exposed skin on the side, as if checking if it was still there.

"So, what's the issue?" he asked, tilting his head towards Tey.

"Remember that mission you were both on a month ago?" I asked, turning to the caf machine. Hot chocolate. Yeah, that should go well. "And the reason I got Knighted?"

"Yeah, but what does it have to do…" he began, trailing off. "You were subjected to a Dark Side mind-trick. You think?"

Finishing punching the code into the machine, I turned around, rested my butt against the kitchenette and looked at him.

"I think the trap you got caught in back then was connected with what had happened to me. Most likely organised by the same person or group of people." It was my true thought. I didn't lie.

"And now, you found an island full of weapon systems dating back to the New Sith War, and belonging to the Jedi," I added. Truth as well. "I bypassed security systems around this island only because the shuttle still has old codes. You sure this isn't another trap?" I asked, as the machine began pouring a drink into the cup behind me.

He looked up at me, then glanced towards Tey, who sat with closed eyes, almost dozing. But I was sure—she was listening.

"Someone I trust told me that Sith are not gone," I said, picking up the cup and placing it before Tey. "And I am going outside to see if there are any leads on that."

—

Walking down the ramp, I glanced at my left hand, opening and closing my fist. It was as good as ever, but the jacket sleeve was ruined. Burnt to a crisp.

"Leaving them alone is a bad idea," said Librarian Tan behind me. Right, and I am a bantha.

"And yet, you decided to follow me," I said without turning.

"You need a backup," she said.

"Sure." I shrugged, recognising the non-answer. That was an excuse, not the reason.

"We're clear. Close it up," I said into the wrist-comm that miraculously survived Tey's lightsaber.

"Keep your eyes open, Taren," said my Master as the ramp went up, sealing the shuttle.

"Of course, Master," I said, dropping the call, and looked around the beach. Smog, melted sand, explosion craters. A warzone, really. Focusing on the Force, I felt the pulsing Living Force not that far from me. The place where I had found Tey and Master Yad.

Slowly turning around, I looked for other sources, but felt only trees and bushes.

Unholstering Totto's blaster, I checked the charge and flipped the safety lever. Tan shot me a curious look, but said nothing.

Noticing a body not that far away, I walked over. Long snout, two pairs of limbs that looked like misplaced legs and arms. Stopping at it, I tried to ignore the smell of burned flesh. Once upon a time, it was a dug. Now it was a body, cut in half, along with a blaster rifle.

"Black Sun," said Tan, stepping closer and nudging one half of the body with her foot, and I saw a strange circle with a crown tattooed on the chest. "Crime syndicate."

Nodding, I looked around and let the Force flow through me, searching for signs of the Living Force. This time something blinked in my senses.

"That way," I said, going deeper into the island, into the half-burned tropical jungle.

Arcing around a few fallen trees, cut by a lightsaber too, I pushed aside bushes and found a half-collapsed building, with remnants of an air defence system antenna. Promising.

Danger.


Ducking under the blaster bolt, I sprinted forward, then jumped, avoiding another burst of fire, and landed on the half-collapsed roof.

"Knock-knock, who is there?" I said, collapsing it under me and falling on the shooter.

"Drop it," I said, pressing my blaster to the back of the besalisk's head. Even buried under the rubble, they looked massive, like any other member of their race. But clearly not stupid.

"Alright, alright," they said, letting go of the blaster rifle and eyeing Tan walking in. "You got me. Now what?"

"Now, you're gonna tell us all you know," I said, pushing aside the rifle and stepping back.

"Why would I do that?" they asked, slowly turning around on the ground and propping their back against the wall. A male.

"Or she will cut off your little friend," I said, nodding toward his crotch.

"She would?" he asked, covering his crotch with all four of his hands.

"I have a collection," Tan said, cutting the air with her lightsaber, and it hummed nicely. "Is it big?"

"No! No! Small, very small," he said, shaking his head. "I'll tell you everything."

"He is not lying," she said, looking sad.

She didn't lie either.

"No lies. Everything you want!"

"Alright, who owns this place?" I asked, trying not to think about Tan's kinks. Red room, now this. No. Not my business.

"De Vigo," he replied, following Tan's lightsaber with his gaze. "The Nine."

"Slaves, spice, smugglers?" Tan asked, swinging her lightsaber slightly closer to his crotch.

"Yes!" he squeaked, scrambling back.

"Any visitors recently?" I asked. "Outsiders?"

"No!" He shook his head vigorously, keeping his eyes on the lightsaber's end.

We exchanged glances. That was a lie.

"Tell us about visitors," Tan commanded, putting the Force into her voice.

"Of course," he said, his voice becoming bland.

And then he jumped.

—

"What is wrong with him?" I asked, pushing his struggling body against the wall with the Force.

"It's bad," Tan said from where she had jumped to, avoiding his mad jump.

"Qâzoi Kyantuska," Cera said in my head.

"The fuck is this?"

"Sith mind control. Hold him. I will try to trace it back."


His vacant eyes rolled back, and he began to thrash in my grip.

"How long?" I thought, struggling. He was strong.

Danger.

In slow motion, I saw a thermal detonator rolling through the open door as blaster bolt after blaster bolt hit the opposite wall. Tan ducked, jumping sideways, and, with a flip of her wrist, sent the detonator back.

BD-OOM

The shockwave threw us both backwards, vaporising the wall and the struggling besalisk in my Force grip.

Shit.

Heavy blaster fire filled the air for a few long seconds, followed by falling trees, debris, and screams. And then silence, cut by the beeping of my wrist-comm with an incoming call.

"You good?" asked Master Yad.

"Yeah, your handiwork?" I asked, standing up and dusting my jacket.

"Yep," he replied. "What about Librarian Tan?"

Ah, he noticed.

I glanced to where I had last seen her and saw her rise to her feet. Cool as a cucumber.

"Seems fine. Thanks for the cover," I said.

"Anytime. Now hurry up. I have a bad feeling about this."

Aren't we all.

"Let's go," I said over my shoulder, going out of the ruins… south? "We need to go that way."

"Why that way?" she asked, following me outside.

"Just a hunch," I said, spotting a thermal detonator on a body and picking it up. Handy. "Hunch, and I saw a map on the wall."

—

No one attacked us again. Either that was the last surviving group, or they were hiding. Somewhere. Somewhere far away, 'cause I sensed no one until we reached the complex I had seen on the map.

"There is someone inside," I said, reaching a blast door. A very heavy blast door, capable of withstanding an explosion or two.

"I don't feel them," said Tan, stopping by the lock and plunging her lightsaber into it. Universal key, Jedi way.

"Below the ground, a level or two," I said, glancing around and noticing my shuttle hanging over the trees. I waved, almost feeling Master Yad roll his eyes at me.

Something cracked, and the heavy door split apart, forced by Tan.

Following her inside, I glanced around. Bare walls, communications, and emergency lights. It was a military installation, maybe some old forgotten base.

"This way," I said, pointing at another heavy door at the end of the hall.

A panel opened in the ceiling, dropping down a turret. Only to explode the next moment, when Tan twisted it with the Force. No surprise, really.

She forced her way inside the other door, opening an empty shaft.

"Turbolift is at the bottom," she said, looking down. "Jump after me. I will catch you."

Shrugging, I followed, slowing myself down. It wasn't that deep.

She nodded approvingly when I landed next to her and continued to cut her way through. The cabin first, the exit to the level next.

"You finally came for me," said a young twi'lek. Fourteen, maybe. "I was waiting, Masters."

Her exposed yellow skin almost glowed in the blue light of the containment field surrounding the cage placed in the corner.

"Who are you?" asked Tan, slowly coming closer.

"Youngling Aayla Tarkona, Master," she said, bowing.

Oh shit.

"Put it on her," I said, taking off my jacket and handing it to Tan. Looking anywhere else but at her, I found a terminal. "I will see what kind of data is there."

"I am Librarian Tan," Tan introduced herself, walking to the cage. "Don't worry, you are safe now."

The terminal greeted me with a prompt, asking for credentials, and I looked around. Asking the Force for a password. Under the keyboard. The flimsi piece with a string of letters was there.

How secure.

"I will do as you say, Master," said the youngling behind me.

Entering the system, I got a really bad feeling about this.

A really bad feeling.

"What are you talking about, Aayla?" asked Tan behind me.

"Yes, Master," the girl replied strangely as I found data files with names, numbers, star systems, and sent them to my wrist-comm.

Danger.

I jumped. And then saw from what. From what and whom.

The girl, holding the thermal detonator that was rapidly blinking red, was already next to the terminal.

There was no time. No time.

Before everything drowned in the flash and fire, I read on her lips.

"The Force shall set me free."

—

Coughing, I spread my senses through the dust. Anyone alive? Yes.

Pushing aside the rubble, I moved towards the only source of Living Force around me.

Librarian Tan.

She was inside the cage, now completely ruined. But its containment field did the job. Saved her stupid ass.

"I found him," said Cera in my head. "You need to leave now."

She didn't need to tell me twice. The feeling of danger, rising high like a tsunami, filled my senses.

Tossing unconscious Tan over my shoulder, I ran. I ran to the elevator, through the cabin, then jumped from wall to wall in the shaft, reaching ground level.

My wrist-comm beeped, and I accepted the call without looking.

"Taren—" he began.

"NO TIME! OPEN RAMP! DON'T LAND!" I screamed, almost flying through the level. With Tan on my shoulder. "GO AS SOON AS I AM IN!"

Busting out through the wrecked blast door, I saw my shuttle. It spun around, and I jumped in, squeezing into the cargo bay through the half-open ramp.

The acceleration sent us rolling across the cargo bay, and then I saw another flash. One too many for this fucking day.

Shit.

"Where is he?"
I thought, moving towards the airlock and helping myself with the Force.

"High-speed tunnel under the ocean floor. Moving north."

"Got it," I said aloud, reaching the common room and dropping Tan on the floor. "LB, medical assistance."

"Understood," LB said, as I glanced around and met Tey's gaze.

"What has happened?" she asked.

"Later," I said, shaking my head. "If you can help, help."

Leaving them behind, I ran to the cabin, finding Master Yad there.

"The island is gone," he said in a grave voice. "So many deaths."

Looking through the viewport, I saw the same. A huge mushroom-like cloud and a rising tsunami under us. But no island.

Jumping to the second seat, I switched controls to myself and, checking the navcomp, sped up north.

"How far?" I thought, pushing engines to the max.

"Sorry, Taren," she said, appearing in the cabin. "He somehow felt me. I lost him."

Fuck.


—

We found where he came to the surface.

Standing on the beach, next to the capsule, I wasn't hopeful. He had more than an hour on us, and no matter what Cera did, she wasn't able to pick up the trace.

"So they left," said Tan, standing not that far from me. Once again, she wore her Jedi robes, carefully nursing her left arm in a sling.

I didn't feel like answering, but I had something to say.

"I got files. We will find him," I said.

"Him? How do you know?" she asked, looking at me. I didn't answer, watching the orange sky to the south.

Something snapped behind us with a metallic noise, and I felt a change in the Force. As if a thread just snapped. We both turned.

Tey.

Tey was standing there next to Master Yad and looking at her wrist, with both cuffs hugging it.

Both.

And the Force? I barely felt it from her now.

"I'm done," she said, looking up. "I quit the Order."

Meeting her gaze, I just nodded. She made her choice.

"What will you do? Where will you go?" asked Master Yad. There was an understanding in his voice.

"Away," she said, turning around and just walking. "I will send my resignation later."

Watching her go, I felt her kyber crying inside her saber, hanging on my belt. Missing her.

"Taren, will you understand?" Master Yad asked, sighing and watching her walk away. And I did.

"Go. Send me an invitation."

"Of course," he said. "Tey, wait for me."

She turned around, and I saw it then. A timid smile. They will be fine.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top