1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Starwars discussion thread

Discussion in 'General' started by OverReactionGuy, May 15, 2017.

1. BigBoom550

BigBoom550 Relentlessly Hedonistic

From what I recall on the Mandalorians... (Mando Wars era)

Mandalorians are good soldiers. That's the thing people are forgetting. They're better than the Republic soldiers. Not the level of disparity between, say, the USMC and Roman Legions, but they're better. Their average soldiers are better, and their 'peak' soldiers are better than the Republic peak. Now, that said, the Mandalorians are terrible armies.

"But you just said-"

A good soldier does not always a good army make.

The Mandalorians are caught up in their ideas of honor and glory, to start with. They want to earn prestige, glory, tales of bravery and skill and 'HOLY SHIT LOOK AT ME DOODS'. A Mandalorian attack is more akin to a riot than an actual, organized attack. Further, the Mandalorians love to equalize the field before they attack- so they'll spam droids to soften the target, before they themselves attack. Make it a 'fair' fight.

The Outer Rim wars were critical to Revan because he saw what was happening- the Mandalorians were snowballing. They weren't all that strong, but would gain industrial capacity and force with every new system conquered. Combine this with the Republic army being... basically peacekeepers at this point more than an actual army, and you can begin to see why the Republic was getting their ass kicked in engagements. The Mandalorians were continuously ramping up, and the Republic was growing demoralized.

Revan decided enough was enough and stepped in. Under his guidance, he shaped battles to play to his strengths and the Mando's weaknesses.

Notice how the Clones- Mandalorians with none of that 'glory obsession'- kicked ass? This is why.

Now, as for the claim that TOR retconned Revan's motivation? Untrue. That would be at the latest in Kotor 2, when Kreia makes mention of the True Sith and Revan going out to fight them. Bastila and Carth also discuss it in a cutscene.

Speaking of.. with Kreia, it's not all lies. Factual information might be presented through a lens, but as long as it doesn't regard the Force itself, Kreia's usually pretty on the mark. Further, she never outright lies to you, just omits information, in much the same way as Ben Kenobi did. "From a certain point of view" sort of shit. Again, though, that's in regards to non-Force stuff.

2. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

The word you want there is warrior. The Mandalorians are good warriors.

Warrior
    1. One who is engaged in or experienced in battle.
    2. One who is engaged aggressively or energetically in an activity, cause, or conflict

Soldier
    1. One who serves in an army.
    2. An enlisted person or a noncommissioned officer.
    3. An active, loyal, or militant follower of an organization.

A soldier is above all else one who serves in an army, the root of the word partially comes from referring to the payment of soldiers in an army. A warrior is "one who makes war" or someone who engages in battle.
    It's why Mandalorians are fine as mercenaries or hired muscle much like most warrior societies, but break down a lot when engaged in large scale warfare that demands a lot more than just being good at busting heads.

Now, because their warrior society bullshit is cultural rather than genetic, taking Jango's DNA and making a few billion clones to fight in your galactic army is fine because they're going to be schooled and trained as soldiers, not as chest thumping henchmen warriors.

3. MadGreenSon

4. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

5. BigBoom550

BigBoom550 Relentlessly Hedonistic

That Obi-wan one is awesome.

Prince Charon likes this.
  6. MadGreenSon

It's Bruce Lee with the Force. False moves are not a thing.
    Right? I would love to see something like that live action. Even a well done fanfilm or something.

7. OverReactionGuy

True

8. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I've seen a few fanfilms that look like they could have done that (meaning that they have pretty good hover/levitation VFX), but most seem to concentrate on cool lightsabre tricks and showing off the gymnastics & martial arts skills of their actors (or embarrassingly fail at same). I don't think I've seen one that did 'PK a bunch of blasters to float and fire,' though. Too bad, it does look cool.

9. MadGreenSon

It does look cool.

As far as lightsaber fighting in fanfilms goes, I've seen some that looked pretty brutal, even if they weren't all that skilled. Also I really enjoyed this one:

It's plotless, but it's got great camera work and they get a bit tricky with the fighting.

Edit: to be fair, Ryan Wieber has won an Emmy for visual effects.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  10. Daeth

Daeth Know what you're doing yet?

Regarding The Exile, I always though that the wound in the force, was exactly that, a wound. Not an inversion or a black hole or something. As such it doesn't make up the totality of their being. I thought that the Exiles rapid rise in power was because the were always powerful and skilled, and had a great deal of experience in combat, after all the were a General due to competence. Master Kevar or who ever it was on Onderon clearly believed that they were capable of easily carving their way through an army, and they knew them from before they were a Wound. So the rise in power was more like a skilled warrior releasing how to fight with a missing arm.

Kreia fascination with them, I thought, was not because they were a wound in the force, but because they were wounded and survived, and she really wanted to know how they did it.

When facing Nilhus I thought it was more like he reached out to grab their arm, and couldn't grab onto a stump, rather than he reached out and couldn't grab on to an insubstantial ghost.

I saw Malachor as sort of a wood chipper, those not killed in its immediate physical effects, and were close enough got dragged in. While Scion and Nihlus survived somehow, they got horribly mutilated. The Exile survived because when their hand got caught in the pull they cut it off before the rest of their body could get dragged in.

ShadowStepper1300 likes this.
  11. 2 Hot Crown Subdues the Sinful

2 Hot Crown Subdues the Sinful Aris

Is anyone else feeling 'meh' about The Last Jedi? I'll probably watch it if I have nothing better to do, like a month after it comes out.

12. OverReactionGuy

The last samurai?

Filthy gaijin no use katana right, should have killed entire army no problem! Filthy gajin. :p

Anyway, shitposting aside, Disney announced the new starwars movie already? I bet ya people don't die in one hit or lose their limbs when they get tagged by lightsabers in it. >.>