1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Fifth Race Quest

Discussion in 'Questing' started by SamPardi, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Walkir

Walkir Super Happy Awesome Fun Time On Vacation

It's left over RP...

Am on phone right now so there's no way to deal with that muxh text. Change the plan accordingly and I vote for the new version.

2. SamPardi

SamPardi Versed in the lewd.

voting closes in 23 hours.

3. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

Forgot about that, Walkir's plan with revised scouting action is here. Winged One just in case you want to change.

[X] Morph Queen x6 – 30 RP, 6 steel hive larvae
    [X] Morph 6 Hundling Swarms – 9 RP, 18 larvae, as many as possible with steel upgrades
    [X] Add Drone Swarm for Mining +10 RP (2/36 Slots) (1 slot per 1 quality of resource)
    [X] Develop Research and Education Campus (200/200 RP) (+20 EP/turn, reduces EP cost of Unit Improvements by 10%)
    [X] Add Queen to act as researcher for +5 EP (0+4/4) – all 4 morphed, assign them already even if they don’t grant bonuses this turn.
    [X] Improve Infrastructure to Basic (50+450/500 RP)
    [X] Great Project: The Ark of Ecology (0.01/100,000 RP, 0/1000 EP, 0/100 Scouting Expeditions)
    [X] Artur: Scout + Drone Swarm + 2 Hundling Swarms (NW, NW, SW)
    [X] Rashe: Scout + 2 Drone Swarms + 6 Hundling Swarms (SE, SE, S)
    [X] Queen: Scout + 2 Drones (N, SE, SW)
    [X] Queen: Scout + 2 Drones (SE, SW, N)
    [X] Queen: Scout + 2 Drones (NW, S, NE)
    [X] Hero: Caiti: teach Myrrdin to dance (suggested effect: assign Caiti and Myrrdin, chance of Myrrdin gaining Dancer, smaller chance of Myrrdin gaining Cultured and/or Charismatic, small chance of Caiti gaining a trait from Myrrdin)
    Caiti dances with a proper troupe in the hopes of gaining you an additional CP.
    [X] Evolution: Amphibious Buildings (25/100)
    [X] Evolution: Improved Drones (45/50)
    [X] Barnacle: 2 VP
    [X] Harmony

There's no issues with any of that right SamPardi? I fixed the error I noticed with Hundling counts (the original plan accidentally halved RP cost instead of larvae cost) but we still have enough available for it to work. Haven't accidentally missed a drone swarm or anything right?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  4. Walkir

[X] Xilph

5. Winged One

Winged One Not the Simurgh

[X] Xilph
    [X] Politics: Harmony

6. Walkir

I just noticed the obvious, delaying the improved drones until the project is done saves us 5EP.

So... amphibious buildings 70/100 should be better.

Edit: 6EP, actually

7. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

Or we could just get the drones now as we'll be getting 40EP/turn from the university from now on so the extra 6EP saved probably doesn't matter much?

Also I added the politics of harmony, it's like internal harmony within the hive right? It fits best with my views of long term goals at least.

8. Walkir

We might need them later on. I hate wadting research points.
    43EP now, 1 next turn?

9. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

Except we won't be wasting them? Considering various factors for our growth having a bonus now instead of one or two turns into the future should easily outweigh the minor EP cost of doing it now, and the 6 EP saved would take even more turns to possibly get us something faster anyway considering the costs of everything involved.

10. Threadmarks: Politics Expounded
    SamPardi

Not sure if I enumerated this before so here we go.
    Hunger:
    A typical member of the swarm that falls within the Hunger quadrant of the political spectrum believes that the fundamental Zerg instincts are not only right but a good thing. They believe the swarm should grow, improve and necessarily consume the resources around them so that they may be put towards the overall improvement of the swarm. While they favor expansion they don't necessarily favor war, though they do produce more pro-war thinkers than not. Still, they have as much desire to hold the moral high ground and distaste for conquering peaceful peoples as any of their peers.

Harmony:
    Harmony is an ironically insular ideal. It's strongest adherents believe ferociously in the importance of the community and the bond of the swarm. Nothing should come between the members of the swarm and the bond should be used to foster greater understanding and unity within the community whenever possible. However when it comes to anything or anyone outside the swarm they can be remarkably apathetic. While few would espouse anything so crass as 'they're not us, so they don't count', they would say 'without the Swarm to give them purpose they are unstable and dangerous, how can we trust them?'

Concord:
    Followers of Concord believe strongly in a manifest destiny of becoming the fifth race and the benevolent protectors of the galaxy. They support expansion and military growth, but are strongly against starting wars for any reason besides moral reasons. Can be exceptionally stubborn at times due to their feeling of having the 'moral imperative' on their side.

Independence:
    Despite how its name may appear, Independents are not after a dissolution of the swarm or the hive mind. They instead believe that the strength of the hive is an amalgam of the strengths of its individuals and so focus on improving the whole through improving the individuals within the whole. In their mind it is important that people are a part of the Hive Mind and not merely parts in the Hive Mind. Of all the groups they focus least on expansion, instead favoring self-improvement, and are usually in favor of diplomacy unless provoked.

reeezzzaaa, Tamahori, Kaldi97 and 4 others like this.
  11. Walkir

New vote without wasted EP.

[X] Morph 6 Hundling Swarms – 9 RP, 18 larvae, as many as possible with steel upgrades
    [X] Add Drone Swarm for Mining +10 RP (2/36 Slots) (1 slot per 1 quality of resource)
    [X] Develop Research and Education Campus (200/200 RP) (+20 EP/turn, reduces EP cost of Unit Improvements by 10%)
    [X] Add Queen to act as researcher for +5 EP (0+4/4) – all 4 morphed, assign them already even if they don’t grant bonuses this turn.
    [X] Add Barnacle Swarm to improve prototyping rate. -1 EP to bio-morph research or unit improvement research. (0+1/1) (Barnacles Req.) – Barnacles are bought below.
    [X] Great Project: The Ark of Ecology (0.01/100,000 RP, 0/1000 EP, 0/100 Scouting Expeditions)
    [X] Hero: Caiti: teach Myrrdin to dance (suggested effect: assign Caiti and Myrrdin, chance of Myrrdin gaining Dancer, smaller chance of Myrrdin gaining Cultured and/or Charismatic, small chance of Caiti gaining a trait from Myrrdin)
    [X] Evolution: Amphibious Buildings (70/100)
    [X] Concord

Edit: I hate working with text on a fucking touch screen. Fucking UI fiasco.
    Edit: politics changed

12. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

Ooh! That's what you wanted? Still think it's kinda bleh for so small an EP gain but I've come up with a variant, I've lowered the EP put into drones to 45 as we don't get the barnacle improvment (as we need to morph barnacles first, not just research) but as soon as the university finishes it lowers in cost by five. Is spending a single extra EP to get the improvement a turn eariler good enough?

13. Walkir

That also works, didn't notice you dropped the barnacle expansion as well.

Let Winged One decide with his vote, I'd say, I'll keep mine now I fought against my phone so much to make it.

14. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

It's less dropped the barnacle expansion and more realised we can't actually do it until after morphing barnacles, and the plan doesn't do that as we haven't created them in the first place yet so we sang put barnacles on this turn. That will have to be a project for next turn once we can actually morph some.

15. Walkir

I undetstood it so that the barnacle expansion is morphing them and adding them. If only to cut down micromanagement.

16. Kerfirou

Kerfirou Cultivating Dantian inside a Star

Huh, seems like independence sounds the best for me.

With Concord as second best.

Walkir likes this.
  17. Walkir

I like Concord as well, polutics changed

18. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

The main issue I see with that is it requires allocating both RP and larvae to the morph so it can go through, however while there is plenty of larvae there is no RP to spare so you can't actually morph it, and being able to use next turns RP for this turns morphing seems really unlikely.

19. Winged One

Hm... I still like Harmony, despite the clarification of the others and its own flaws.

[X] Plan Walkir
    [X] Harmony

Walkir likes this.
  20. Kerfirou

Kerfirou Cultivating Dantian inside a Star

[X] Add Barnacle Swarm to improve prototyping rate. -1 EP to bio-morph research or unit improvement research. (0+1/1) (Barnacles Req.) – Barnacles are bought below.
    [X] Evolution: Amphibious Buildings (70/100)
    [X] Independence

21. Daeth

Daeth Know what you're doing yet?

Not voting on a plan this round.
    [X]Independence

22. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

I mean I can get putting everything into Amphibious buildings but why delay drones by two turns to save up to one EP (might be less if -10% goes after flat bonuses), it's not like they're in a short supply and given that everything we've got will still be the closest at a multiple of five minus one so it would be at least half a dozen turns before it even has a chance of being useful, very possibly we could go forever without it helping simply due to the difference between EP requirements and a single EP. Since it will only ever be useful if we are less then one EP short of getting something on a turn, which has such a minuscule chance of happening as to be effectively irrelevant.

23. SamPardi

voting closed. I'll edit this with the tally once I get done counting the votes.

[X] Plan Walkir

Tie between Concord and Independence with 2 each. (Harmony: 1, Hunger 0)
    Rolling Concord (1-40)/(51-100) Independence.
    Result 48
    [X] Concord

Culture rewards table in the errata updated.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Daeth and Walkir like this.
  24. SamPardi

So.... I've spent at least ten hours at various points working on this next update. As much as I like the idea of this quest and wanted to play it out, I'm stuck with the simple fact that every time I try to simplify the work, I find myself facing even more. I'm still finding new rolls for this turn and that's just ridiculous.

This is nothing on you guys. Straight up, mea culpa, I wasn't truly prepared and made a bunch of avoidable mistakes. At this point the quest is little more than a load around my neck and I've finally just gotten sick of hauling it.

This quest is closed.

Sorry guys. A thousand apologies. _(-.-)_

25. Walkir

...damn, and here I had already considered it dead until I saw that post.

Well, it was fun. Thanks for that.

Least Devotee and SamPardi like this.
  26. Winged One

Aw. Well, it was fun while it lasted. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Least Devotee and SamPardi like this.