1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ringing of a Forge of Stars [Warhammer 40k/ Celestial forge V3||OC...ish]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Slider Zero, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Bob Knob

Bob Knob Getting sticky.

You just had to add nuclear fuel to this grease fire, didn’t you?

pochez01 and Kaelan Isble like this.
  2. Slider Zero

Slider Zero Know what you're doing yet?

[​IMG]

You are seriously getting ahead of things here. Calm down a bit and relax. There are reasons for why things are happening.

I will give one hint: it is connected to Satori in some way.
    Also, who said which Earth was the base Earth?

[​IMG]

3. Kris-71854

Kris-71854 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm mixed on Yukari and Eirin showing up. I actually liked the moon fairies more even if their appearance was brief. As you have mentioned, Yukari provided no actual info that they didn't already have. She just was trolling for drama and providing transport. I just don't buy that Eirin or any entity that the CF copies their perks off of would be able to pop by and test who has the perk. Oh, I'm sure that they'd like to, but that sort of breaks the entire spirit of things.

Other than that visit, I enjoyed most of the chapter. It was fun watching them clean things up and squee about the alchemy stuff. I also liked the medical scan stuff.

I have no idea what settings that you are crossing here. The real big thing though is this is a very, very different Earth. Unlike Earth Bet, they've had space travel and space station and moon bases.

I can actually see the EBs and Shard-based powers not being able to do anything about the aliens that the pair just finished cleaning up. In theory, they were scanned and plans were made for them. In practice, they likely just left the station going and made sure that no tinker tech or anything came up. Actually, shard limits likely prevent any cape powers or tech from working outside of the atmosphere. That would prevent the capes from leaving their sandbox.

There wasn't enough info about the 100 incoming ships. He should know it, but we just don't have enough at the moment. Depending on who they are they might not be that much of a threat. Meh. Our pair were from Wh40K, there isn't any way they'll let any alien group have free reign in the space of Earth.

I'm wondering if you just dropped all these folks together or if this Earth has always had that blend. They wouldn't have needed the tinkers or anything to have tech advantages. They already were at an impressive tech level from what we've seen.

The devil invasion could be handled by any number of secret magical groups or government groups.

I'm wondering what sort of reflection this will have back on their WH40K setting after they are done. I have a feeling that everything that is happening is due to factors present from when they left. The more that they clean things up, the better things will likely be when they return.

Meh, I'm actually ready for more recon and find out WTF is going on Earthside and what they can do about it. Also, I could see them setting up an orbital defense grid.

4. InfiniteChaosRai

InfiniteChaosRai World's only not-cringe Furry

>Sees everything in the little pocket universe go to shit
    >oh shit, pocket universe was promoted to parallel universe
    >So its C&C Fantasy, Maybe SMT, a little bit of PREY, and Worm?

Im just gonna wait till the Covenent or ADVENT or something lands down, or a Commander pops out of one of the rifts and solves all of their problems in 4-5 chapters of techwank powerfantasy bullshit. Or see our favorite Tails expy do it in 9-10 chapters of glorious character development, Techwank powerfantasy, relations with dragon super engineer, abuse of Forge PerksTM, and just a little bullshit, for good measure of course.

Also glad to see the story's back, though that might just be me being a braindead insomniac that spends 4 hours falling asleep and forgetting to check the story's progress.

pochez01 likes this.
  5. Morkail

Morkail Shado-Master

Demon, parahuman and now bleeding aliens ant life in rapture, I mean earth grand? So are there two earths being combined down there or
    is this a prey/worm crossover from the start?

InfiniteChaosRai likes this.
  6. InfiniteChaosRai

InfiniteChaosRai World's only not-cringe Furry

[Insert 'always has been' meme here]

7. Silverwing15

Silverwing15 Avid reader

Doom maybe?
    And the mentions of Origanium infection points to the mutations possibly being from Arknight.

8. Acolyte

Acolyte Know what you're doing yet?

Eh its fine, the guy can build something to kill all foes in like 5 minutes.

Only problems are the rifts and thats only because i forget if he has star trek perks or something like that.

9. ATP

ATP Experienced.

Great chapter,as always.When i read it first times,i was sure,that Yukari wished them best of fuck.Well,they would need that,too.
    Moon fairies - interesting,how they would interact with Kerbals.
    Is Gensyoko on Earth there,too? if so,asking some vampire princess for help in fight could help.
    And which heroic spirit Alaya would use to cosplay as Emprah?
    Pity,that old one are too weak - Gilgamesz certainly have ego as big as Emprah,so could act as him.

Please continue.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  10. Omni

Omni I trust you know where the happy button is?

So.... Why did Gaia die if there was a new Earth in the Pocket Dimension?

Devils sounds like Devil May Cry, but it could equally be D&D Devils or something else.

Rifts could mean RIFTS?

pochez01 and caspian1a like this.
  11. Slider Zero

Going to answer this one right off since I have time.

Gaia died because the Earth that she was linked to, outside of this recent zone of influence that Satori is in, was devastated and desolate. Also, neither Satori nor Mio have set foot onto the actual Earth of that mashup, and thus lack a connection to it.

as for the rest... I entertain any and all theories.

12. Toguro

Toguro I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wonder if the Space Pigeon is having a [Wut?] moment.. :V

RIversand likes this.
  13. Thine Spree

Thine Spree Know what you're doing yet?

So that fleet on the way is either NuCom's xenos or from the Valk-Cores are from.. Heck could even be from at least two other settings in his forges perview. Entirely can see the peeps laying in on the devils being xcom or maybe a different shadow agency from his forges perview if we follow how there has been some interesting bleed over from perks so far.

(Personally I'm looking forward to if he has either generic shipgirl/kanmasu down there or specifically KC/AL memes)

14. Slider Zero

Heh.
    According to various bits of lore, Word of Wildbow (which is basically trash) and some fanon, the featherduster doesn't pay much attention to things off-planet. this would have caught her attention...if Satori didn't have the ability to no-sell her sight on general principle.

Poor (soon to be Fried) Psychic Chicken...

It really wasn't meant to be much of a shock, but that is the Ayys fleet of NuXCOM. Specifically, the one that comes in after you take out the temple ship and kind of curbstomps Earth to force XCOM 2. Dealing with it is going to be a non-trivial issue simply due to lack of available Shipping Tonnage. Rising Phoenix is an amazing ship, but it is both A) a Frigate at best and B) untested in actual combat.

Trust me, if it was something from Earth-AG, you would know. The Antagonists do NOT Fuck around.
    As for who is laying in on the Devils...well, follow your hunch.

pochez01 likes this.
  15. Threadmarks: Chapter 24
    Slider Zero

Calling the madhouse that they were currently embroiled in a mere battle was an understatement of the highest caliber, from Arikia’s perspective.

Somehow, the Speranza had managed to break through the multiple blockades of the Sol system in a bid to reach Holy Terra for a purpose that none but the AI of the ship itself knew.

And Silent Lightkeeper was not talking.

The problem, of course, was that The system itself was under siege from what seemed like every possible force in the galaxy all at once and then some. A Warband of Orks were attempting to push the defensive lines in one area, constant hit-and-fade attacks from the Eldar in another, and what looked to be a full-on push for the ages from a would-be Chaos Champion as well, and all at the same time!! It was complete and utter madness, and they had been sucked into it almost as soon as they had exited the warp in-system.

Which then led to the ship and it’s crew to fight for their lives by any means necessary. It was fortunate that these “Valkyrie Cores” that their power armor had been enhanced by were so capable, or else she and her sisters would likely be dead by now.

As it was, they were probably inventing an entirely new branch of warfare right this very moment, taking the fight to the enemy vessels and delivering devastating blows from their newest weapons and wargear, graciously donated to them by Silent Lightkeeper as a means to help defend the ship.

Though, she felt it would never truly become tiring to be able to fire a Battleship-caliber Macro Cannon while in mere power armor and feel no recoil whatsoever.

“We have another wave coming? More Fighters!! Lisbeth, pull back to the second line and let Annalise handle them!”

Sister Beatrice was doing well to coordinate the defense of the Speranza as she was, despite the confusion of the surrounding battlefield, and had so far managed to swat down at least two Ork Rokks and a corrupted cruiser with her barrages. Sister Annalise, meanwhile, was picking off the fighters from that makeshift carrier that the Orks had dragged in-system like flies using an extremely high-powered hellcannon variant of some kind, and she was enjoying every second of it.

Sister Mariel was spamming missiles everywhere she could get even the slightest of target acquisitions, and they were reaping their toll upon the Xeno and Heretic alike in equal measure, despite the damned Eldar and their attempts at weaving through the ever thickening fields of fire.

Even Harrison had not remained idle, utilizing his strange abilities to deliver devastating amounts of destruction to wherever he chose, practically at will.

And yet it was never enough. There were always more coming, more howling beasts in the darkness attempting to snuff out their light. The tides were unceasing in their assault, and for the first time since this battle had begun she felt the beginning twinges of fatigue.

Considering that they had been fighting their way towards Mars, at best speed, for the better part of forty-eight hours, now, that was saying a great deal more than anyone was willing to give credit for to the mere mortals of the Imperium.

Was this what it felt like to be an Astartes?

A glimmer of movement in the distance caught her attention. There appeared to be a ship of some kind rapidly approaching the combat zone, and from the energy readings she was getting, it was prepared for war. As of yet, there was no way to resolve anything as to what it was–

“Silent Lightkeeper to all hands: Withdraw to the ship. We will be executing an emergency egress. Repeat: Withdraw to the ship immediately.”

What? What manner of situation had occurred now?

No matter. She could discover what was going on after their base wasn’t about to run away from them.

“Sisters, heed the Lightkeeper! Return at once to the ship!”

Even as she turned and sped back towards her current home, she heard five voiced sing out in acknowledgement.

Now, to see what madness was due to occur that required them to egress so quickly.

“Alright, anyone know what the hell is going on, or am I the only one in the dark, as usual?” Harry asked the exhausted crew compliment, such as they were. Given that even he was worn down to the bone, he wasn’t expecting much of an answer, but sometimes people would surprise you…

“No idea sir!” screamed back Richardson, one of the techs from Van Saar. He had been manning the autodefense consoles in the CIC during the battle, and even he looked like hell. “Bloody AI just told us to get ready for a move. No reason why.”

Under most circumstances, Harry would have found this odd, and thus worthy of further investigation. This was not most circumstances. “Well, you have any idea what it might be, then?”

Richardson shook his head, and then slumped back in a chair, tending to his cup of recaf. Harry didn’t blame him.

“Attention: emergency evasive maneuvers will be initiated shortly. Brace for warp transition.”

Wait, WHAT!?!

He tried to shout out a command. Something, anything that might have prevented the coming disaster.

Nothing came. At least, not fast enough for it to have mattered.

The Speranza executed an incredibly brief dip into the Immaterium, and was in and out in record time.

The interior of the ship, however, was now crawling with minor daemons…that…seemed to be dying by the truckload? The fuck?

“Error. Navigation Database indicates that exit coordinates do not match with projected course. Senior crew members to the bridge to assess.”

Harry blinked at the message, even while Daemons were all but evaporating all around them. He could only shrug at the events.

“Well, might as well see what he wants, right?”

As it turned out, ‘not matching with projected course’ ended up being near halfway across the galaxy, because somehow their luck worked like that.

The good news was that at least it was an Imperial world they had ended up in orbit to.

“Repeat, Unknown vessel, this is Ryza void control, respond, or you will be fired upon. This is your last warning.”

Yeah, VERY off course.

Another daemon popped as it attempted to close the distance between them. Harry could only laugh ruefully at the occurrence.

So, the initial scans had not told us anything good. Further refinement of the Earth-facing scans using both technological and supernatural means had confirmed that things were well on their way to being completely in “hell in a handbasket” mode.

For one, my best guess is that the original, base Earth for this place, at least prior to the merger or whatever else had happened to the world, was Earth Bet. Which had its own issues, aside from the fact that it meant that from what little I knew of the damned story it was based off of via cultural osmosis, the world was currently being run by idiots with delusions of grandeur.

Or potentially a multidimensional conspiracy that was completely in over their heads even before the adds showed up. I had no way of knowing, and my knowledge of the series was limited to fanfic. Either way, they were going to need help, no matter what, but the actual nature that help took would depend on whether they were actually capable and competent in doing their fucking jobs.

Of course, there was also the issue of that Typhon outbreak happening near Morgan’s landing site. From the looks of it she had mostly mopped it up (and onsite Transtar security had helped to eliminate the rest) but it looked like there were some issues regarding the fact that she was even alive in the first place. Seemed that the Yu’s were very much cutthroat, even to their own children.

As long as the damned Typhon stayed contained long enough for Morgan to finish the job, it was not my problem. I was more worried about the bigger time bombs, namely the Devil invasion that was attempting to happen, and the ongoing issue with the Golden asshole and his three pet kaiju wannabes. From what I knew, the author had a bit of a fetish for buffing the damned things past the point of all reason until they were effectively invulnerable to most methods, and the fandom made a point of trying to uphold that bullshit. Finding a way to kneecap or outright destroy the damn things, preferably without erasing the planet in the process, was a priority.

More concerning was the golden bastard. The same cultural osmosis told me that he was only truly ‘beaten’ by being driven to suicide by the series protag, as he was otherwise too powerful for the locals to deal with in any meaningful capacity. While I was certain I could rig something up to deal with that asshole, doing so without erasing the planet was, again, going to be an issue.

In fact, just from a general planning perspective, it was looking like most of the issue we were going to have was coming from the people on the planet below not being ready to actually deal with a threat of this magnitude in any way, let alone multiples of them. Easy solution: training, training, and even more training, preferably in something that would act as a massive force multiplier right out of the gate. Magic would likely be the best bet, Aura a close second.

“So, I see you over there working up a plan, but what exactly are we going to do about the shitstorm down there?” Mio had calmed down since the news started hitting, likely due to my having forcibly relaxed her for long enough for it to stick. Still, the fact that she was asking me for a plan and not trying to cobble one together herself was a bit surprising.

“What, you don’t already have something in the works? I thought you liked being prepared for situations like this.”

Mio shrugged. “That mess, and I am more than happy to admit this, is entirely beyond my expertise in any capacity. I have no way of telling what would happen if I unilaterally decided to push in any one direction, and there are entirely too many glass houses down there that are at risk of shattering if something goes wrong. Best not to push without need.”

I nodded my agreement. It was the core problem to the entire mess, that there were too many problems to deal with, and nowhere near enough resources to deal with them with. At least, not without spooking the local authorities so hard that they would consider us bigger threats than the actual threats they faced.

Which reminded me of the other problem…that damn fleet headed our way. Dealing with that was going to prove to be an issue at a minimum. Perhaps even more, if things went south (as they were likely to do).

One of the fairies, Gloria, dropped a flexipad into my hands, excitement clear in her aura. The flexible tablet-like device was a spur-of-the-moment invention on Mio’s part, and they had quickly become a favorite of the fairy crew after they discovered them. They tended to use them for most things nowadays, including accessing the central data servers for useful info.

The screen was currently showing a map of what looked like the continental United States, with a glowing dot emanating from a spot on the New England area. I peered closer at the data, only to realize what I was looking at a moment later.

Mio poked her head in as well, and quickly came to the same conclusion that I had. “That’s Rico’s transponder signal!!”

The grin on my face was utterly infectious. “Indeed it is. The little guy’s okay after all. Better yet, he can help us get some access to local information instead of snooping on stuff from up here. Normally it would not be that big of a deal, but with the bitch of feathers hanging in orbit, I’m not wanting to risk hacking a satellite for intel.”

Mio paused to think for a moment. “Can Rico even use anything to transfer information that fast? I would think that he’d have some slight issues with the connection on his end without help.”

She brought up a good point. We could reestablish contact, definitely, but anything past that was going to require us to get some kind of equipment groundside and in a place that was reasonably defensible. There was also the consideration that it would need to be a base for most of our endeavors while on the planet, at least for some form of duration or another, which would likely evolve as the situation developed and people reacted to our presence and actions.

I sighed in frustration. “This is looking more and more like a total clusterfuck every second. I think we need to sidestep a problem for a bit.”

Mio looked at me curiously, and I could sense the same curiosity from the fairies that were listening in. I just smiled.

“Instead of forcing the issue on the ground, especially without intel, we sidestep a bit and do something else that we can accomplish. In this case, preparing things for that invasion fleet coming our way, and possibly a bit more. We can wait on everything else until after Rico gives us a read on the ground situation. Fair?”

Mio nodded. “Agreed. Now, then. Let’s get to work, shall we?”

Having a newfound crisis on our hands was an oddly focusing experience. Things that we were kind of playing around with were completed and shuffled around in record times, only for newer projects to take their place. For my case, I had come to a series of inspirations, a possible epiphany, and a certain resolve.

The Epiphany had to do with the N-Way reaction process. The base form of it was using some advanced shielding for the reaction chamber to allow more than two bodies within a fusion reaction. On its own, it is a massive innovation, but limited to fusion reactions due to the technology. (Of course, there was extra stuff built into the reactors themselves to allow for effectively unlimited power generation, but that stuff is both extra and stupidly complex.)

I took the concept and ran with it. Previously, I had only attempted to apply this technology to Photon reactors, and with little success, due to the difference in the way the tech operated.

Now? I knew, not thought, knew I had the solution in my hands to the problem. Better yet, implementing it, not only for a photon reactor, but for the etherwave reactors as well, was going to be an absolute cakewalk. And would result in at least a 650% increase in power output, no less.

For the mark one.

The implications were staggering, honestly, and the uses for that much power were all but writing themselves, one of which I fully intended to put to use later.

But first, I had to do some redesign and rewriting, as I had a bit of inspiration regarding the nature of Shiekah technology as well. Not only about the quasi-mystical power source that could be easily curated and cultivated in so many ways, but the nature of the unique shiekah script as well.

And part of my newest project was going to be a complete redesign of the Shiekah slate and a cleanup of the code within, because I could do that now.

I had also had a breakthrough regarding the optical storage systems that I was working on, leading to an absolutely exponential increase in data storage capacity and access speeds, as well as a noticeable increase in write/rewrite operations stability and efficiency as well. In fact, merely getting it off the ground properly gave me a big enough hunch to get a highly efficient variation of quantum computing running and operational, though at the moment it was extremely unrefined. I would be looking through some of the other databases later for anything I might be able to use as a means to increase processing speeds, but otherwise it stood as a valid example of crystalline-based computing.

And all of it was going to be tuned towards one purpose.

I had noted it previously during the larger projects. Always, we’ve had an issue regarding practical size limits of what we could work on, what could be worked with. Sure, given enough time and effort, and with a little bit of supernatural assistance in the form of Telekinesis, Mio and I could create wonders of astounding size in equally baffling speeds…but this was not true of others who we would pull in to help, nor was it a bypass for the truly massive projects that would be the cornerstones of later major innovation and production.

No, what I needed, now more than anything else, was a machine that was capable of allowing for normal people to accomplish the things that would be needed in the days to come.

Basically, I needed a Mecha.

The problem was what kind of mecha? The term encompassed everything from simple powered exoskeletons to gigantic super robots capable of destroying entire galaxies, after all. So, what was I looking to accomplish with building this?

First, it had to be operable both in space and on the ground, which meant that the frame had to be sturdy enough to survive being used in atmosphere.

Second, the base design had to be at least understandable by normal people, mostly so that I could avoid being seen as a Tinker and attracting the attention of idiots, so nothing too outlandish or funky related to advanced technology. As much as I was fully intending to do a tech uplift, it was going to have to be done at least somewhat carefully to blunt the inevitable PRT backlash.

That this also had the benefit of allowing for actual science to happen without my input was a notable, if not strictly intended, benefit.

Third, the design had to be adaptable. As much as it would be easy to just create a giant forklift thing or similar, it had to be capable of multiple tasks with minimal effort on the part of the crews operating them, meaning that certain design philosophies were not going to work.

Fourth…was more a preference, but it tied into the third very much. I wanted the final design to be humanoid, mostly for the benefits of adaptability that it would provide.

Take all these aspects together, and I had a general idea of the intended end product, but there was still a ton of variance even then, as size ranges could vary massively. The estimated ‘top’ end was, of course, the iconic Mobile Suit, averaging out at about 18-20 meters in height, which worked well for the task, but…

Mobile Suits themselves were designed for an environment where most guidance systems were either extremely local or were unreliable due to various reasons, usually involving Minovsky particle interference in most cases. The smaller types of mecha, however, had the issues of being less capable in heavier labor tasks the smaller you got.

I ultimately decided to aim for the 10-12m class and average upwards if I needed to. If nothing else, it would allow for some decent setups with regard to optional equipment, and could still do heavy labor if needed.

Besides, more room for the power plant, which is the real fun part.

With these basic details decided, designing the rest was almost painfully simple, even down to materials. Most of my design utilized my now standard modular design principles, and intentionally used a power supply that could be built with tech levels appropriate to what I remembered of Worm’s setting, which should have been the early 2010’s.

The truly revolutionary stuff would come later.

The end result was something that would probably have scared a lot of people, even with the fact that it was unarmed and primarily designed for workmen.

I would pointedly not be mentioning how easily it could be up-armed and armored in the case of the inevitable outside escalation event requiring it. Nor that I was capable of things far, far more impressive with almost frightening ease. At least, not yet.

I loaded the design into the central database for simulation testing and moved on with the day. The time for building the first test unit would come soon enough.

The Rising Phoenix finally arrived in the Lunar space a few days later, to the joy of the Kerbal crew, who were rather sick and tired of having to deal with the ship being finicky. For our purposes, it meant that Mio and I could check on the odd transformation process that the ship was undergoing before the Mechanicus ruined things.

Besides, it was a distraction from the wait for better SIGINT to come back in, or at least for Rico to attempt to get a message back to us and establish proper contact, both things that we had no actual control over.

The Kerbals had somehow managed to get the Phoenix in the docking slip we’d built with minimal fuss, and had more or less bumrushed the expanded facilities like kids on a sugar rush. Only a bare few of them bothered to stay behind and fill us in on what had happened.

“...and after that, I just floored it.” Jeb sighed. “There was no reason to hang around, and that weird stuff was actively trying to eat the ship even as we ran. Almost got us, too, if not for the hyperspace generator working as intended. Still, it kept us from coming to assist you with the space station up there. And from the scans we took of the place as we came in, you would have needed the help.”

I shrugged. “We did alright, though most of the issues we had were because of residual chaos taint. Made a few new…acquaintances, at that, though they are planetside at the moment.”

I took a moment to look Jeb over. He seemed alright, but that escape would have been harrowing for anyone, let alone a being who had no concept of just how big of a bullet he had dodged. Still…

“Once you guys are done up here, I want you all to go through a medical check, just to be sure. No reason to invite trouble if we can avoid it, after all.”

Jeb nodded. “No complaints from me, boss. Just…try to not have us go through that kind of thing again, at least without having a way to fight back? Please?”

“No promises, but I’ll keep it in mind. Can’t predict the rest of the universe, after all…” I replied, my amusement clear.

Jeb chuckled at my comment, and soon the both of us were in full-blown laughter.

Having had a good laugh, Jeb proceeded to show off the current state of the ship, with Bob tagging along as a translator of sorts. The fact that it was needed at all came as a bit of a shock, as I distinctly remember what I built into this ship.

And only the most superficial aspects were the same, at this point. It seemed that whatever had been the driving force behind the transformation had noted that it had arrived at a safe port, and had immediately redirected a ton of resources (mostly energy) to the effort to finish its conversion process. Even now, I could feel the rapidly strengthening impeller lightly clashing with my own passive field, seeking out the limits of its area of control. Based on that, plus a few system logs, I estimated that the process would complete itself within two hours at most.

And then we could see for certain what the reborn Rising Phoenix was capable of.

Abbreviated tour having completed, I moved into getting the Kerbal crew settled into the moonbase proper. There was a bit of a shock involved, mostly at the fact that they were actually on the fucking moon (even if it wasn’t their own moon, it was still an awesome feat) and many a Kerbal ran to get peeks at the more scenic views of the base.

Wernher, of course, was having none of it until he had set up his workspaces to his standards. Even with everyone else taking the time to enjoy the sights, he was hard at work doing things at his own pace.

I more or less laughed at his attempts to claim nearly the entirety of the labs as his personal demesne, mostly because he would be fighting directly with the portions of Liz’s fairy crew who were more science curious and had been poking things since they had arrived.

“I said NO, you ugly green dummy!!”

“You foolish woman!! You will not stand in the way of progress!”

Hell, I could hear the screaming coming from across the base already!

I’m sure that Wernher and the Science Fairies would get along just fine.

Aside from that, there was not much else going on, save the great preparation and setup dance while we played the waiting game for new infor–

My HUD blinked, as did most of the screens in the base, with a proximity warning.

Which confused the hell out of me, as there was nothing that should have had enough size or sheer speed to have triggered it anywhere on the moon without having been caught by an operator first. And cycling back through the various feeds showed me nothing and nada that fit the bill.

So what the hell had set off the alarms?

Mio caught up to me in short order. “What is it?”

I shrugged, focusing on a sudden unease that I felt coming from…that direction. “I don’t know. Hell, I didn’t think that there was anything that could trigger those when we put them in, at least not without getting spotted first. And the Operator feed have nothing.”

An impulse had me suddenly checking on the new occupants of the base, who were all in a bit of shock. The Kerbals, despite this, were already moving to suit up and batten down, just in case there was a containment breach. The Fairies, on the other hand, were all oddly tense, and seemed to be sensing the same thing I did. Now if only I could figure out what the hell was going on…

“We might want to be outside for this, hon. At least then they won’t be breaking our base if they’re hostile.” Mio opined. And as was usual for situations like this, she was speaking my innermost thoughts without actually looking inside.

“Alright then.” I turned to Liz, who had planted herself more or less at my side for the moment. “Liz, make sure that everyone stays safe for me, alright?”

Liz pointedly did not react to her nickname, but instead nodded solemnly at my command as Mio and I rushed for an exterior access airlock.

It was mere moments later that we were outside, frames out, and searching for whatever had been ringing our bell so hard. Our mystery guest deliberately decided to be a dick and refuse to appear, because that would be polite and reasonable and thus would not happen.

Instead, we got to flail about as sensors completely failed to pick up whatever the hell was out here with us. A brief check with active magical sensors revealed more of nothing. And yet, the sense of presence refused to go away–

[MOVE NOW]

I obeyed without question, the warning coming just in the nick of time.

The mass of blackness that rushed past my previous position was actually terrifying to behold. The sound made by its passage even more so. Even with my own enhanced senses, I could barely see it move. Worse, the damn thing didn’t actually stop moving at all, and was already moving around for a counterattack.

Mio and I shared a single thought at that moment. As one, we rushed headlong into battle.

For all the good that it did us, anyway. The damned thing was just moving too fast. Nothing I had available to me was actually getting a good lock on the damned thing, and my frame had a lot of usable weaponry.

Mio tried to go for a box-in attempt, and was quickly shown the futility, as the damn thing simply dove underground and started swimming through the regolith like it was water, and in the process nearly getting us caught up in a spat of friendly fire.

And the entire time that same damned sound echoed around it, almost as if it was a calling card of some kind.

The sudden reappearance of our aggressor directly underneath me kind of negated my moment of introspection, forcing me to attempt an awkward dodge that only just got me out of the line of attack…only to immediately get hit by some kind of damaging projectile. The damn thing all but tore at my impeller field, nearly managing to breach the defense even as I dodged. Mio’s attempt at a counterattack was ignored, simply by dint of sheer speed.

I crashed back to the lunar surface with a loud bang, my senses jarred by the onslaught. Even then, I could still feel the monster going after Mio with the same ruthless precision, and dealing with her in the same manner. Something that I took great offense to.

The spell formula came to my mind almost on reflex, the wide-area lockdown field slamming home with an almost audible roar of power…and merely slowing our opponent down to something approaching sane speeds for Valkyrie combat, which was still stupid fast for everyone else. It did, however, allow me to finally get a decent scan in on the fucker.

The results were not pretty. Apparently this thing was some kind of amalgamation of the remaining Typhon on the Moon, along with some kind of abandoned hypertech relic…and something else that pinged as being unique within the mashup itself. That the identifier for said uniqueness was in chozo script was all the warning I needed that things were going to get ugly.

As for the creature itself…it looked like a gigantic snake-thing, complete with armored ‘scales’ protecting it’s soft bits from harm. My mind almost immediately drew up a comparison to the Serris creature of Metroid fame.

The creature, seeming to sense the disabling of it’s speed as a weapon, instead unfurled it’s head…into at least eight other heads, all of which started blasting.

Yeah. Serris…except Serris wasn’t a goddamn Hydra.

The blasts were only powerful enough to tear through a non-enhanced impeller field with ease, after all. And they were only being aimed with a precision that would put even an expert sniper to shame.

Too bad for the Orochi wannabe that I was already adapting to the fight. A quick reset of my Impeller, and a blatant cheat move of doing some more personal management of the fields allowed me to triple, and then triple again the strength of my field barrier, along with adding a few extra layers to the mix for the next hit. Which was tested not even a microsecond afterwards as I got battered from no less than three directions by the apparently homing bullet-type attacks that the fucker was interspacing between the big beam blasts.

The good news was that the bullets were weaker than the big beams. The bad news was that this was a relative weakness, and I got to watch in horror as my defense was whittled down to a thread. A muted scream echoed across the space, and I vaguely recognized that Mio had gotten hit too, and just as hard.

This shit was getting ridiculous. We’d barely managed to get a proper counterattack going against it, even with the damned interdiction field I’d set up. Hell, if anything, the fucker was toying with us. How the hell?

I felt Mio’s rage hit a peak, and felt it even more when she infused herself with something as she roared. The shockwave alone ripped up a good chunk of the landscape as it connected with the unexpecting beast, and the actual main thrust of the attack hit even harder, managing to knock it off balance, even if for a moment.

A moment being all that she needed.

Mio streaked in to zero range, inflicting absolutely devastating blows to the creature as it tried to rally itself, to no avail. The sheer savagery of her strikes and the utter rage I could feel from her was terrifying even to me, and I had to actively push myself to get my head back in the game and provide proper covering fire.

I unloaded everything and more. Missiles, beam weaponry, the fucking works. Most found their marks, to varying amounts of damage…and yet the fucker still stood, acting as if we were merely inconveniencing it.

And now I was mad.

I rushed in right alongside my wife, and together we proceeded to beat the brakes off of the fucker in the most savage way possible. This is not to say that it was all our way, mind: the Orochi wannabe was giving out just as good as it was getting, and even was pulling out new tricks every time it thought it could get away with it as well.

It wasn’t until I missed another strike against the damn snake because of it outright blinking out of the way somehow that I remembered a thing. Specifically, the existence of the ‘advanced’ impeller techniques used by Elite and Ace Valkyries, one of which was effectively a teleportation technique in its own right. And while trying to use the teleport trick right now was not going to cut it…there was another note that I remembered as well.

Impeller fields could be meshed together for ‘group’ techniques.

If nothing else, it would help lock down the fucker even harder than he was, and probably stop the damned blink-shift thing it was doing to dodge around the killshots we were throwing at it.

Mio, being as always my beloved wife who is always in tune with me, knew the plan even before I had finished creating it, and moved to execute without needing to be prompted. I felt her impeller reach outwards towards me, and reciprocated even as we were dodging around yet another megablast from Orochi, who was still attempting to boost everywhere to regain its advantage.

Together, we reached outwards, enveloping the entire battle space as defined by my lockdown field…and basically told reality to take a hike.

The wide-area interdiction, as crude as it was, worked wonders. Snakey-boy found itself screeching to a halt as the forces arrayed against it became too much for it to overcome, and was summarily trapped and bound by follow-up techniques and magic as appropriate.

And then we went to town.

The screams of pain and rage echoed across the lunar landscape, and I was pretty sure that some of them were even echoing in vacuum, at that. And we did not let up.

The crater that was forming from our onslaught was growing miles wide as a result of the sheer power we were throwing around, and we did not relent.

The lightshow grew bright enough that I was pretty sure that there would be some very pointed questions from the space agencies when we finally got in contact, and still we did not relent.

Only when we heard the death scream from the creature, which by now had truly earned the name of Orochi, did we cease in our applications of excessive firepower. Answer both stood there, waiting, making sure that it was actually dead and not just trying to fake it.

But no…it was dead and done. The typhon-infested bits, what little were left, anwyway, sloughing away in a puddle of inky black gore as the remaining mechanical portions collapsed inwards on themselves, barring a few isolated areas and places.

One of which was our missing chozo-tech artifact…in the form of a cube?

“Err…Satori, dear…” Mio called out to me, “don’t those normally come in sphere shapes?”

I shrugged. “I’m as confused as you are, honey. I have no clue what the hell that could be.” Though for some reason I felt that it was important, I could not for the life of me understand why.

Moving forward, I made sure to scan everything I could of the wreckage as I moved. Nothing really stood out, aside from the fact that the remains of the (now clearly identified as alien) technology was based on micromachines, or possibly even nanomachines of some kind in a networked intelligence. I stopped long enough to store some samples and kept going. Finally getting to the cube thing, I picked it up…whereupon it immediately began assimilating into my frame, breaking down as it did so.

[ERROR: instability detected between technology bases. Attempting to compensate. Upgrade data placed on hold until resolved.]

Well, shit. That can’t be good. At least it was an actual upgrade, and not some kind of trap, though…

“Honey? You alright over there?” Mio asked, having walked closer as I cleared the wreckage, and obviously wanting to ensure that I was not dying inside my suit. She placed a hand on my shoulder in support.

And, because of course it would, the data for the upgrade immediately jumped to Mio’s Minerva, too. And immediately after, I heard her cursing softly as she likely received the same error message.

A dialog box appeared in my HUD. [T: The error in question is due to the methods used to integrate the Chozo Power armor into your existing Frames. The armor systems have their own methods of acquiring and integrating abilities, and are attempting to prioritize their use in this situation.]

A second prompt appeared after the first, in a different shade. [M: the issue involved here is that the changes required for the upgrade to function are much, much deeper than the core system augmentation normally allows for, and is attempting to apply itself to the entire system as a whole instead of just the frame. It is creating a conflict between the integration and upgrade systems that is currently irreconcilable.]

Mio had started sorting though the wreckage at this point, storing anything that caught her interest. So far, there wasn’t much. “So, can’t we just let this upgrade go through, then? It shouldn’t hurt much, right?”

[T: under normal circumstances, you would be correct. However, the required upgrade involves creating a compatibility layer for an entirely new form of energy that would be used as part of the capabilities it grants. The internal database of the upgrade itself refers to the power source as ‘Aeion.’]

[M: We are unsure of how much this energy would affect other systems, and our attempts at doing proper cross-talk between the elements has forced the issue to a head.]

I sighed. “So, what you are saying is that we need to do complete refactors of the entire frame to get this fixed?”

[T: No. Rather, this alone will not alleviate the issue. The issue here is a hierarchical one, with the chozo suit’s onboard systems attempting to apply upgrade logic to my core systems without regard to actual limitations with respect to the Frame divide. A complete refactoring of my core itself would be required to remove the imbalance, effectively creating a whole new system. Minerva has the same issue.]

[M: We estimate that the process can be completed quickly and safely, but it will require you to either empty out your impeller storage or risk losing everything inside as part of the process. We also recommend that you apply certain upgrades to your core systems during the downtime to better allow for us to support you, and also to ensure functionality of the third generation cores that Mio will no doubt be working on soon. Estimated time for refactor as of current variables is twenty hours, assuming a complete desync.]

The two of us started making our way back to Pytheas as we listened, having grabbed everything of interest from Orochi’s corpse, and I couldn't help but smile at that timeframe and condition. “So, what you are saying is that if we stayed partially synced, the time could be reduced as a result of our abilities.”

Mio was just as enthused. “Potentially even reduced outright?”

[T: Or increased exponentially as a result of a new connection with the forge of stars. I currently have no way of modelling the outcome.]

Yeah, that was fair enough. Can’t guess at the unknown, even if Thoth had a good idea of how things worked with the forge. Still, it was something to think about while we got the upgrades we wanted installed.

Once we were back at the base (and finished getting mobbed by the Kerbals and Fairies both) we quickly got on task with the required preparations for the upgrade process that our partners would need. This was doubly important compared to even the other preparations, as there was no doubt in anyone’s mind that people on the ground had seen the aftermath of that battle and would be asking questions. Sooner or later someone would notice that there was a radio transceiver on the moon, and would try to ping it. We needed to be ready for when that happened.

“BOSS!! WE’RE GETTING A SIGNAL!!!”

Like right now.

Another of the fairies (this one was…Bethany, I think) handed me a flexipad, already tuned in to the appropriate frequency.

The transmission was a solid 5 by 5. The content?

“This is NASA’s Mission Control in Houston. To unknown station on lunar surface, please respond.”

I hesitated for a moment. This was actually a huge deal for me, to be talking to the guys down at Johnson Space Center…especially from the moon itself. There was a sense of odd pride and nostalgia there for me. I made the odd observation of the Kerbal team gathering around me, anticipation in their eyes.

Mio softly nudged me, her own encouragement clear even without the soft smile on her face. She, at least, understood.

I keyed the mic, the brief feedback of doing so clearing up almost immediately. Somehow, I could even feel the guys down ‘below’ at JSC perk up and pay attention.

“This is Technical Sergeant Satori Green, United States Air Force. How you guys doing down there?”

And so it begins. Contact has been established.

Also, before anyone starts bitching, Orochi was moving at speeds that were blindingly fast even by Valkyrie Standards. As for the powerup? I will state that it is an actual Metroid Item, and Orochi was using it. That should be more than enough hints.

Also, the thought of being able to communicate with Mission Control at all is a dream for any space nerd. Satori’s reaction here is appropriate ^_^

-Artistic Architect (Halo - Forerunner Saga) (100CP)
    Forerunner structures are not simple. Even in the worst of times, there is a beauty to their layout. Patterns woven into walls, shining pillars reaching to the sky, and shimmering glass panes adjourning corridors. Forerunners don't just build big. They build artfully. Like so many other Builders, you have an eye, and a hand, for beauty in construction. From the most simple of floors, to the most terrifying of weapons, you can spruce them up so that they are breathtaking to behold.

-Device Meister | Similar Principles | Ancient Knowledge
    Device Meister (600CP)
    This is the real treasure of the TSAB's technological capabilities - mixing the use of magic and technology inorder to create Devices that can channel the energy outwards. You have a complete knowledge of how to build and maintain Devices, along with how to program AI for said Devices to use.
    While you can construct most Devices and similar items presented here, the ability to make Unison Devices isn't included here - you'll have to learn that one on your own, and many have tried and failed to do so in the past. You could, with some experimentation, combine different magical systems into Devices together, especially with the help of 'SimilarPrinciples' to streamline the process...it will take some trial and error, but you could apply these principles and Devices to other systems if you work at it enough.
    Similar Principles (400CP)
    It’s strange how similar concepts can be between dimensions, no? The line between magic and technology just doesn’t seem as thin as it otherwise should be, especially in your hands. The TSAB system combines both, and while this doesn’t let you start building Devices from the ground up, you understand the principle enough that you can combine magic systems from other worlds with technology. Guns that fire beams of mana, helmets that create a telepathy-based chat network, wristbands that let you form an outfit from thin air...spells can be made into technology much more easily, and the technologies play a bit more nicely with magic in your hands, even if a particular system of magic isn’t fond of being ‘simplified’ by science. How about that?
    Ancient Knowledge (400CP)
    The legacy of the Belkan Empire exists not merely within ruins or Lost Logia, but in the blood of its people. You have inherited a bloodline of note, and while it may or may not be one of the canonical or major bloodlines, a piece of it has followed you in your very DNA, subconsciously nudging at your memory. While this creates no stress or strain on your personality, the connection is diluted enough that you can't consciously access this memory...but when you come into contact with Lost Logia, you will rapidly gain insight into how it functions and possibly ways to engineer it once again. You will need actual technical skills to pull this off, but with a little bit of time, perhaps you can restorewhat is lost? Post-jump, this same insight applies to 'lost' or 'forgotten' technology, though you will likely need other sources of knowledge and abilities to truly restore it, depending on its complexity. May or may not come with brief instances of acting and speaking like a resident of the Belkan Empire at random intervals.

-Junkyard (Mass Effect Andromeda) (400CP)
    Junk to some is treasure to others. You get a doorway that leads to a small pocket universe that is filled with the local area's lost, broken and/or discarded items. You might find broken gear, ruined vehicles, or maybe a pristine limited edition item that someone just forgot about. Everything in here will be somewhat useful to you, but you get to decide if it's use is as a source of resources, or if something is worth fixing.The doorway takes the appearance of an expandable hula hoop that opens a portal to the pocket universe.
    The pocket universe will refill with junk as you travel, or as the local area around you generates junk that will be siphoned off. In addition, if you haven't cleared out the junk universe in one jump, then you can still pick it up in another, while the junk from the new jump will slowly filter in as space is opened up.

-Black Boxing (Warhammer 40k - Squats) (200CP)
    While certain red-robed rats of Mars always trying to get their grubby mechadendrites on your stuff is annoying, messing with them is endlessly entertaining. You can easily tweak your work to be nearly impossible for others to duplicate. If you're feeling particularly spiteful, you can build in some cross-connections so anyone trying will blow themselves up.

-Taylor made | Resolute Thread (Skulduggery Pleasant) (200CP)
    Tailor Made (200CP)
    You have the knowledge of how to weave magic into clothes, making them incredibly durable and protective. They're capable of protecting the wearer from most things, including bullets, knives, magic, extreme heat, and large amounts of blunt-force trauma. They also look damn stylish.
    Resolute Thread (200CP)
    You have a spool of thread that's supposedly made from the stomach lining of an Emperor Dragon over 2000 years ago. The more pressure applied to it, the stronger it becomes. You could bind a superhuman or use it to hang hundreds of tons off of the ground. Spool refills and used thread once a month.

16. Kahalah

Kahalah Know what you're doing yet?

Hehehe now NASA and prt plus us governments will freak the fuck out. Maybe UN also depends on if the space treaties were signed.

17. Cheetored20

Cheetored20 Versed in the lewd.

I'm betting XCOM is going to get on the line when they point out the incoming enemy fleet.

18. Thine Spree

I want to say that was the dash module from dread in use by that 'boss'. Nice to see Lightkeeper getting 'hands' on data of how absolutely crazy a fully adapted Valk is, and these weren't even ones in full on space frames, just PA and fun expressions of standalone shipgrade weapons :D also wooo! Forge Ryza is going to go bloody nuts over the implications of the Valk cores and hopefully being given the STC-Slate/s by our Valk-Nuns.

19. Slider Zero

Clear Lake: HOLY FUCK
    USG: At least he's ours...
    PRT: *Sounds of Distress*

Central: Get me any data you have on his unit. I want him en route to the Anthill soonest.

The Sisters have at least five remaining STC modules, not including what the Speranza itself has in terms of data, should they be allowed to access it withou getting ganked by Silent Lightkeeper. As for the displayed capabilities of a merely upgraded masterwork Selsenia-pattern Power armor? yes, there will be insanity to be had in droves.
    (NOTE: Armor pattern is intentionally custom to avoid issues)

20. ImmortalEmperor34

ImmortalEmperor34 Making the rounds.

So with everyone and the kitchen sink attacking Sol what next spaceball 1

21. LollipoPReapeR

LollipoPReapeR Versed in the lewd.

Why should the MC care about the PRT? They have no authority or power over him and they are (technically) only the institution of a single country of a pre-merge world. You would think they’d have bigger problems with everything else happening and the general world merge…

22. Thine Spree

A number of near conceptual kill shots that Contesa could set up on him with her PtV and how the PRT is just a massive bloody cats paw for Cauldron?

Also yeah the PRT and other Worm factions are probably dealing with lots of problems thanks to the sheer number of settings that are probably getting expressed on that planet.

SyfyMovieFan likes this.
  23. Slider Zero

You speak with common sense and reason.

Do you really think for one second that the PRT as a whole, and Cauldron in particular, wouldn't try something when it became known that he was a US citizen, even if dimensionally displaced? And while they are indeed but one agency, they are still a federal agency, with all of the funding and clout that pertains to.

And then there's this. Cauldron is well known to fuck over others who are interfering with their plans, regardless of what others were doing and the actual overall effect on the world, simply based off of their mistaken belief that they know best. They live in fear of Scion (which is not unreasonable) but also let this fear drive their actions to doing things that are rather...foolish.

As for the other matter: Contessa is effectively neutralized by outside context problem, so she has to do her thing the hard way instead of being bogeyman extreme. Besides, even if that was not the case, getting through an active Impeller is a severe undertaking. The amount of effort that would have to get put in to make it happen is immense, and unlikely to go unnoticed.

24. Thine Spree

If I remember right Sting, that is Flechets shard, does some fun bending of reality to make its attacks pass though everything... But good luck doing that though an actively interdicting impeller or one that's actively 'smoothing' out space-time like is seen with Anna when she first enters the sims in HABBHSCQ.

Also having just finished reading that quest from start to finish I am very impressed at just how obserdly good a roll you got back in Ch4 to get Thoth.

caspian1a likes this.
  25. Ajlove

Ajlove I trust you know where the happy button is?

Sting makes objects/projectiles be in every dimension, so only dodging will keep you safe

26. ATP

ATP Experienced.

So,Harry with his harem is on Speranza - but why is it manned by gangsters from Necromunda,not Mechanicus?
    Wernher get Fairy science harem,good for him,and Satori could deal with anybody except Scion.
    If killing him normally is impossible,why not use warpfuckery on his brain?

P.S i remember some story on SB,where SI/not Taylor/ become Eldar and killed Scion using mindfuckery.
    Forget title,as usual.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    SyfyMovieFan and Ajlove like this.
  27. Slider Zero

I strongly suggest you go and read Battle Action Harem High School Side Character Quest, so that you can have the complete details of what is know about the Impeller Field. because...they are busted on a level that has to be seen to be believed. There is a reason I said that even Sting would have a bad time.

I feel the need to point this out here and now: Entity BS is not the supreme trump card that you think it is, especially not here.

This is likely a failure on my part to mention it. I apologize for that.

Silent Lightkeeper has effectively hijacked the Mechanicius crew members and is remote-piloting them to do as it wishes.

28. RIversand

RIversand Getting sticky.

I am VERY hyped for the next chapters. I am soo looking forward to how Greene handles all of these 'shenanigans' of cosmic fuckery. It's like the worst case of SEVERAL sets of earbuds tangled together in the same pocket. Nightmarish. I look forward to the detangling process.

Ajlove, SyfyMovieFan and Cheetored20 like this.
  29. ImmortalEmperor34

ImmortalEmperor34 Making the rounds.

With all that is happening to satori will he decide to escalate and build a commander

Ajlove likes this.
  30. Threadmarks: Chapter 25
    Slider Zero

The city of Houston, Texas, has seen many an up and down over the years. Everything from natural disasters to those of a more man-made dint have graced the city over the years, as well as some of the greatest wonders to have been seen by anyone at any time.

Many of these have only grown in their legend over the years, such as the famous “eighth wonder of the world” the Astrodome. This continued even through the Parahuman age, to the point that Houston was home to arguably the most powerful member of the Triumvirate, Eidolon.

But none of these compared to the facility that sat next to Clear Lake, out in the southeastern suburbs of the city.

For here was the site of the legendary Johnson Space Center, home of the equally storied National Aeronautics and Space Agency’s Mission Control. This building alone had earned Houston the moniker of “Space City USA”.

It was here that all space-based activities of the United States of America were conducted and controlled, all funneled through the equally famous Mission Control center.

And so, it was here that the nation, and by extension the entire world, learned of the newest occupants of the Moon.

“This is Technical Sergeant Satori Green, United States Air Force. How you guys doing down there?”

The uproar in the control room would later be said to have been heard through the entire building.

After everyone had somewhat calmed down, the on-site controller, an old hand of the glory days of the space program (before the Simurgh had appeared and dashed all their dreams), found himself in the position of having to fudge things.

He took a moment to calm his own nerves, running a hand through the mohawk he’d had for years, before responding. “We’re doing good, Mr. Green, though we do have some questions as to how you got up there.”

The entire room heard the nervous chuckle come through the speakers. “Well, mostly cleaning up and expanding the old Pytheas Moonbase up and repurposing it for my own ends, among other things…oh. If Transtar tries to get on your case about this, tell them I call salvage rights, as the place was technically abandoned.”

A bevy of hushed conversations broke out at that comment, and it took a bit to get people to calm down before a return transmission was sent out. “Well, that would be a little difficult, Pytheas, as there is no Transtar corporation in existence that we know of, and they definitely do not have a facility on the moon. That being said, we’d love to hear about the place since you are obviously there anyway.”

A distinct sound of shuffling and movement was heard across the transmission, and everyone in the Mission Control center quickly came to the amused realization that Green had left the mic hot. The bits of commentary that followed from the other side were more than worth it.

‘Somebody hit the archives for me!!’ ‘We already did; nothing there!’ ‘Still looking for it, boss!!’ ‘Can’t we just rig something? It’s NASA, right?’ ‘They still need receiver hardware, dummy!!’ ‘What about the Talos Relay?’ ‘Won’t work, too busted. Need at least ten minutes to fix it right…’

Someone started snickering in the corner, and it spread and grew to full on laughter at someone else knowing their pain of dealing with everything that could go wrong in space.

Soon enough, though, Green came back to them. “Err…sorry about that. Had to do some digging to see what data transmission sources you guys had left…and from what I’m seeing it’s not much, really. I think I can do a tightbeam transmission to you but…kind of a bad angle at the movement.”

Again, the controller had to stifle his own chuckles. “Well, we’re more concerned about how you managed to get up there in the first place, son. Must’ve been one hell of a rollercoaster to get past Ziz, now…”

There was a distinct pause, followed by a series of muttered curses, and something about needing to find a flyswatter. “Err…it’s complicated, Houston. Also, potentially related to other issues you’re having down there, so I can’t go into details just yet. Short version is that we are possibly from a different dimension.”

The general excitement level increased exponentially at that. The only other contact they had with alternate dimensions (at least prior to this mess) was Earth Aleph, and that was information only. The possibility of a traveler with space-faring technology to share was a major point, one that needed to be capitalized on as quickly as possible.

The operator kept his cool all the same. This was old hat to him, after all.

“Well, I can see why that would complicate things, then. Let’s switch topics. You know why we were trying to contact you, correct?”

“I can guess it has something to do with there being an actual receiving station up here for once?”

The operator had to hand it to Green: he actually tried. Got a good laugh out of the crew, too. “Sorry, but no. We were more concerned with the light show that was happening up there recently.”

There was some more muffled cursing, this time feminine. Still, it was Green that responded. “Of course you would be worried about that…right, so the incident has been resolved. I can tell you that much. As for what it was…call it cleanup. There was something weird up here that decided we would make a good target…and we dealt with it. The lightshow and explosions were part of that. Apologies for the fuss.”

Another voice was suddenly heard over the comms, shouting excitedly. “BOSS!! WE CAN KILL THE STUPID BIRD!!”

The entirety of the control room froze. They couldn’t mean…

‘Wait, what? Without destroying everything? Send it here…holy fuck, it can work. This can actually wor–MIO WAIT DAMMIT!!’

More confused shuffling happened, and there was the distinct *whumpf* of hard contact as something got hit by the mic, hard. A louder sound of a whine of sorts echoed slightly before fading.

‘Well, fuck. She’s going after the bitch solo. Mandy, help me out of these!!’

There were more sounds of jostling. Followed by a resigned sigh. ‘Just make sure they stay in contact, please. Need to make sure that this gets done right.’ Another jostling sound, before a different voice, this one female, got on the mic. “Sorry about that, Houston. Had some things happen up here that needed to be dealt with. Anyway, back to the meat of the discussion. The base is more than available for anyone who wants to come up and take a look, and we definitely could use some permanent staff up here for things we are planning. The Boss isn’t sure if we need to go through the idiots in D.C. or not, though. Any thoughts?”

Nobody could respond, as one of the girls from down in space tracking suddenly ran through the door. “We just caught sight of something happening in orbit!! We think that Ziz is–”

The poor tracking tech was silenced by a solemn control supervisor, his face clearly showing the severity of the situation. By being in a state of pure shock. “We know. We’re talking to the people who are doing it.”

“Hey…Houston, you guys there? Need to inform you of something real quick.” yet another voice came back through the transmission. He sounded…resigned, somehow. And suspiciously like the legendary ‘Buzz’ Aldrin.

Many in that room right now were there, back then. He even thought he’d heard someone in the back muttering something along a question of ‘Aldrin, that you?’

As always, even with the prospect of the Bitch of Feathers being removed from orbit and the path to space opening again, the operator was cool and collected, though he was now scratching at the Star designs in his haircut, a nervous tic he’d picked up years ago and hadn’t quite broken yet. “Go ahead, Pytheas. We’re listening.”

The next words out of his mouth would be replayed around the world for years to come.

“Well...it’s a bit sooner than expected…and definitely unplanned…but we’re about to–excuse me, have just taken care of your orbital psychic pigeon problem.”

There was pure silence. Nobody even breathed. “Can…can you repeat that, Pytheas?”

“Yes. Yes I can.

“The Simurgh is dead.”

A second tech came racing into the room, holding a sheet of paper in his hand and screaming about something. Nobody paid him any mind, too lost in their own thoughts…until what he was saying registered.

“Orbital Tracking has confirmed that the thing headed this way is outbound to the Moon…and the Simurgh is GONE!!”

He said other things, the operator knew. Other words that were meaningless after that were not worth repeating. But the message was all the same.

He thought he heard someone sobbing in the background before the first cheers broke out.

Well, that could have happened differently.

As it turned out, NASA was rather enthused by the sudden and unexpected windfall of having the Bitch of Feathers killed off in real time by people who would be more than happy to give them access to new space technologies and even experience on a Moonbase.

I think they were happier about the Simurgh getting offed, though.

And that was the weirdest part, too. Apparently the endbringer dimensional BS was not strong enough to compensate for being drawn into an active impeller storage, and the core connection was even more fragile despite the amount of protection the physical antenna had to the body. It had created a bit of a mess when the whole dimensional overlapping thing had fallen apart without the focal point of the technique, though, and had resulted in both myself and Mio ending up playing super-quick cleanup of the orbital space before the leftover corpse pieces could vomit endbringer chunks into the atmosphere.

We did deliberately miss more than a few pieces, however, just to drive the point home that the bitch truly was dead and not coming back. At least, not without something exceptionally stupid happening, anyway.

Now, after cruising back to Luna and properly disgorging the mess from our impellers into the recycler systems of the hanger (which yielded a bunch of exotic materials of a new type and composition from the Typhon stuff, and merited further explanation) We were busy examining the leftover core.

And…it wasn’t much to write home about, as far as I could tell. Sure, it had the receptors for whatever oddball technique was getting used for the standard endbringer bullshit to work, but without an active connection to work with it had jack and shit to use, and was just…there. Our attempts to pull usable data from it so far had failed to yield fruit, as well. Which was frustrating after the rather grand success of dealing with NASA.

So, we tabled it and instead got to putting together the care package that we’d be sending to them now that the orbitals were clear of interference. It was nothing too special in our books, but the contents were absolute game changers for an early 21st century world: countergrav and repulsor tech theories (and a few simplified working designs), advanced power generation systems (including workable fusion reactors) Superconductor theory and practicals, stuff like that. Of note was the one thing that Mio had insisted be included in the set, a brace of varying Imperial Lasgun Power packs, both standard issue and modified by us in varying stages.

It was enough to cause a total technology revolution the instant the science and engineering teams got a hold of them, even without the advanced material science to go with it. I’m sure that they would be thanking me for a long time to come.

Of course, aside from hearing that Jeb apparently sounded like Buzz Aldrin (there were a few people in the control center who were hardcore NASA vets, and had been there for the first landings), there was the whole ‘getting the base ready for actual cohabitation’ thing. Everyone was working everywhere they could to spruce the place up and make sure it was as good as it could get for guests.

The fact that we’d managed to get the bloodstains out of things in multiple areas helped.

Still, there were a few things that felt a little unnerving to me. For one, despite the fact that an endbringer had been outright erased from existence not an hour ago, the word had yet to properly spread around. And considering just how many people tended to watch the psychic chicken as she ran around, that was concerning and stank of a coverup.

Then there was the issue surrounding Pytheas (still pending rename) itself. Apparently some idiots in the government had caught on to the fact that I was Enlisted military, and wanted to use that as a means to exert pressure on me, or even outright claim the base for themselves through sending up an officer of some kind to assume command.

There was already a search underway for potential candidates, from what we were getting out of the official communications. And considering that the presence and even existence of Pytheas as they knew it wasn’t even in its second hour of life, that was moving blazing fast, especially for something that would heavily impact the DoD. I could already see the beginnings of the backlash forming from those who were getting stepped on and/or leveraged to do the dirty work of some dumbass politician.

That being said, not everything was bad news. The issues on the ground were not as severe as they initially appeared to be: the originium patches that were dotted all over the place were actually rather self-contained and showed no signs of either the normal catastrophes or general spreading that was normally associated with the material, and the various terrestrial invasion attempts by demonic(?) powers were running into even harsher interference than we’d first estimated, meaning that most of the big boys were being occupied and only the minor stuff was getting through.

And people were adapting to the new normal in ways that were still being investigated properly by the various authorities. Most of the exact means of doing so were still in super-preliminary stages, but I could feel the difference just by directing my senses to the planet for a moment. People were, somehow, awakening to their innate supernatural talents. And they were using those newfound talents to take the fight back to those who would prey on them.

It was something that would need to get addressed sooner or later, especially with the parahuman wildcard still in play, but we had a bit of time to work with, at least for the moment. No need to rush things even more than we already were, after all.

The care package had been assembled, the base had been cleaned p, and now we were just trying to decide on a new name for the place. Naturally, this prompted both the Kerbals and the Fairies to chime in.

“Kaguya!” “NO!! ARE YOU TRYING TO GET US KILLED!?!” “How about Selene?” “But she’s not even up here, it won’t hurt…” “Aldrin sounds good. You know, after the astronaut...” “Just pick something else.” “If we’re going there, we can call it–” “No, it won’t work right. Besides, that name is reserved for the other base.” “Well, maybe we could call it Nokomis?” “How about Artemis?” “You really want to name the place after her?” “I vote Yue.” “Nah, Io.” “But isn’t that already being used for a moon of Jupiter?” “Like that matters. And it’s Saturn, not Jupiter.” “No, it’s definitely a Jovian moon…”

Yeah, the discussion was heated.

“Still can’t decide?”

Mio had, of course, managed to corner me perfectly without so much as trying, her presence being entirely too comforting for me to resist allowing it.

“Nah. Not really. It has a lot to do with the fact that most of the names are actually really good, and not just crazy stuff I can reject out of hand.”

One of the Kerbals, who had taken a rare step for the non-command crew and introduced herself to us (Silmeria Kerman was her name, and daredevil piloting was her game) stopped after hearing my gripe.

“Why not just put everything into a hat, then? That way you don’t have to crush people for picking a favorite.”

Her fairy countepart-slash-tagalong, by the name of Lenneth, quickly voiced her agreement. “Yeah! It’ll let all of the other crazier ideas filter in without stuffing people for being stupid, and then we can just agree that the name was chosen at least somewhat fairly, right?”

Mio gave me one of those nudges. The ones she usually has on hand for when she thinks that I have a good idea that I need to just shut up and implement. Being a wise husband with a wife worthy of the title, I heeded her silent counsel.

“Alright. Get everyone to toss their suggestions in a hat for us to pull out of. One name per person, whatever comes out is the new name.”

The both of them were off like rockets, quickly informing the relevant people of the happenings. It wasn’t much later that we had a freshly-made stetson hat of shockingly good quality for something that neither my wife nor I had participated in creating, the article flipped upside down and filled with slips of folded paper.

I quickly got everyone’s attention. “Alright, guys…and girls, there’s enough of you here now.” The fairies got a good snickering in at this slight dig. “Time to rename the moonbase. Whatever comes out of the hat is what we get. Now then, let’s see what we got going for us, eh?”

The name I pulled out kind of surprised everyone, especially as it was kind of an obscure name in most of the cultures represented here…but it was nothing that we didn’t like.

“Alright then. From today forward, this base shall henceforth be known as Miakoda station!!”

The general cheering was worth it, in my opinion, even if the activity itself really wasn’t that much of a big deal.

Still, with that particular formality settled, it was time to prepare for our departure down to the planet below.

At least, it was. Mio apparently had other plans, and informed me of them in her usual manner.

Whatever. They can wait a few hours…

Mio found herself slightly dreading heading down to Earth. It would be the very first time she had ever set foot on the planet in any sense, after all, and the sheer significance of the event for her was not to be understated. Even the fact that this was technically not her Earth, the Holy Terra of the Imperium of Man, did not remove the jitters.

Fortunately, she had her Satori with her, and he was more than enough to act as a rock for her to steady her nerves on. She’d done it enough times for him, after all.

Besides, it wasn’t as if he wasn’t excited himself. Being able to get direct access to the people that were effectively his personal heroes, those carrying the dream of a Humanity expanding to the very stars, was kind of a big deal for him. She could feel him all but radiating his eagerness even without their link, and the feelings were acting as quite the effective anchor for her to ground on.

It was also helping going over the recent update log for the forge, this one having come from Watts’ still mysterious wife. The basic summary wasn’t too much to look at, some precursor-level architectural knowledge and a bit of unusual thread being the things that stood out to her the most. Still, it was something, and from the looks of it, the update was still processing, so it would be a bit before they saw everything anyway.

That being said, both of their moods were being tested by the Air Traffic Controller, who didn’t seem to have gotten the memo about their visit.

“Moonrider, I say again: You are to divert course and stand by for further instructions. Failure to comply will result in severe penalties. Confirm compliance immediately.”

As I was saying, stuck-up ATC. I knew the type of old from back in the day. They were the guys who were nearing the end of their ropes in the career, on the verge of burnout for the most part. Not all of them finally hit the flames, but enough did that it was something of a stereotype in the community.”

Satori was explaining the phenomenon that they were currently being exposed to, in the form of a petty bureaucrat being faced with the rather abrupt uselessness of their jobs in the face of the unknown. Especially considering that Satori had constructed a standard IFF transponder for use to be ‘seen’ by the local airspace control so that there would be no accidents, and yet somehow still was getting bitched at despite coming in on a near vertical like straight towards our landing zone.

And he was not happy, as he then explained to the poor bastard in the hot seat.

“I already told you, We have special clearance for an expedited landing at Ellington. So unless I am clogging up an air lane somewhere, please leave me the fuck alone and let me set down already, you dumbass. I will be assuming a VFR profile as soon as I can shed enough speed and altitude.”

“Moonrider, you are to–”

Mio couldn’t take it anymore, immediately reaching out and shutting off the radio. “We aren’t going to be getting any help from them at the moment, and there is no reason for you to stress yourself trying to do so. We are too new and unknown to the system for them to know how to deal with us. Let’s just get on the ground, shall we?”

As much as her husband wanted to complain (and she could feel it quite clearly from him), he eventually acquiesced to her request. This was, of course, made easier by the fact that Mio was the one doing the flying. “Fine. But you get to tell the guys on the ground why the FAA is wanting to murder us.”

Mio had no clue what this “FAA” was, but the fact that Satori seemed very much resigned to facing them made her assume they were some kind of government functionaries. The most she could think of was to give token platitudes to them for trying to do their jobs despite not being in the loop on their arrival, she supposed. If nothing else, it would allow for some soothed egos over what was to come next.

Landing was a very subdued affair, despite the fact that she has intentionally put their craft down in a full vertical landing on the parking zone of the flight line instead of using the runway like everyone else. It was yet another intentional flex of their capabilities, meant to show off just a hint of what was possible with the goodies they were bringing along.

Personally, she thought it was just at bit too overengineered for the task at hand, but it was meant as an example of what could be done with the tech…and they’d needed an actual transport anyway unless they planned on teaching everyone magic and such before they got back to Miakoda station.

As it turns out, despite the constant badgering from the Air Traffic Controller, there was still a small delegation waiting for them as they landed, a mixture of suits and military uniforms prominent among the small crowd, along with the rapidly expanding security cordon of soldiers that had appeared as more of the regulars noticed what was going on and tried to get a better look. Of note was the odd assortment of varied and colorful uniforms on display as well–likely these were the so-called ‘capes’ that tended to be about.

Personally, she was not really in the mood to try and hide from anyone, but if the locals felt it was necessary, she would allow it…for now. The instant she thought otherwise...well, the planet had a rudimentary if oddly developed global infonet, and she could make use of it if it came to that.

But that was for later, if that later came. Right now, it was time to meet the brass, as Satori would put it.

The rear hatch had been angled to face their greeting party, and a simple control on the door itself allowed for the hatch to open, complete with the standard center division allowing for the bottom portion of the hatch to act as a cargo ramp. The two of them awaited on the edge as the ramp lowered…

“Huh. I was expecting something a bit different, you know?”

The comment had come from one of the capes in the back, a man in a white outfit that featured metal points on his shoulders…and head, for some reason? And a mask covering the upper half of his face. Mio had Minerva catalog the appearance for analysis later.

Satori, for his part, merely laughed it off. “I said I was Air Force. Dunno what you were expecting aside from this.” The ‘this’ in question was a standard olive drab Flight suit, complete with a name patch and, for him anyway, a specialty badge denoting his Military occupation. Her own flight suit was the same, but her name tag lacked the specialty badge.

Ice being broken, the pair stepped off of the (jokingly named by Satori) Owl transport and onto the planet Earth for the very first time. The Suit Delegation stepped forwards as well, and the pleasantries began, with the capes in the back attempting to be subtle about shuffling around to maintain a proper presence. As she was unfamiliar with most of the early M2 social protocols, she leaned a bit harder on Satori for support through their bond, from which she got back nothing but warm encouragement.

One of the military men, a solidly-built, dark-skinned fellow with graying, close cut curly hair similar to her husband’s own and a slightly receding hairline, stopped in front of Satori, who offered him an old-fashioned salute. A closer inspection on her part confirmed that this was a US Air Force Colonel, what was nominally termed as a ‘full bird’, mostly due to the rank insignia worn (which was itself a bird). The colonel returned the salute while introducing himself.

“Good afternoon Sergeant. I am Colonel Nathan Gibson, in command of the Air Guard post here. With me are Majors Grainger and Parker,” the colonel motioned to two others who stepped forward at being mentioned, the first a ruddy-faced man with obvious laugh-lines on his face as well as minor marks of sunburn, the second a blonde woman with oddly stern gray eyes and a professional demeanor, “As well as representatives from the Johnson Space Center down the way. I’ll let them introduce themselves in a moment.” There seemed to be an air of good cheer here from both the colonel and the NASA people, all of them clearly eager to learn more about what was in store.

“Also present, at the request of the Parahuman Response Teams Houston branch, are the Protectorate Members Dispatch, Grey Knight, Hawkwind, and Frostbite.” Unlike the others, this introduction was rather clearly stated with a slight strain to the colonel’s voice, easily heard with her enhanced senses. Her guess (which was backed up by Satori’s own observations) was that the capes had more or less muscled in on the affair and everyone else was forced to accept their presence.

Mio immediately dismissed two of the four from her mind right off. Frostbite and Hawkwind were clearly not worth any further attempts at interaction from her outside of studying the parahuman phenomena in more detail. Dispatch was a different matter, as Minerva had pulled up a relevant entry on the infonet that stated that he was the second-in-command of the local Protectorate Branch, under someone who named themselves Eidolon.

The last, Grey Knight, was a completely different issue entirely and needed to be handled with care. Mostly because she could literally feel his powers from where she was standing, his internal mana flowing easily throughout his body in what looked to be a passive reinforcement technique. The relatively light and archaic armor he wore seemed to have similar mana flows attached to them, and she found herself curious as to what process was used to create the items in question, as well as if he was interested in an upgrade.

The colonel continued onwards. “That’s about it for the current personnel that you will be dealing with, though I have been informed that there are some high brass en route to debrief you regarding certain information. As well, several of my colleagues, across all the services, have been given some rather hasty TDY orders to get down here ASAP, and…well, you can understand the madhouse that usually brings.”

She noticed Satori visibly flinch, and a quick glance at his surface thoughts explained why: Somewhat similarly to Imperial formations, having a large number of high-ranking officers appear at a station all at once, especially if said officers were of flag rank, was almost universally seen as a bad thing by all services and ranks. Unlike an Imperial formation, however, the increased reliance on Non-commissioned officers for mid-level tactical thinking meant that having a sudden increase in officers in general was a bad thing, and made worse the higher ranked the officers got.

Which boiled down to the fact that the poor sods stationed at this airfield very suddenly and unexpectedly had an otherwise backwater post become the center of a very large amount of official attention and scrutiny. Which generally ended badly for everyone.

To his credit, the colonel was seemingly very sympathetic to the plight of those around him, and apparently didn’t actually want to be disrupting things to this degree as it was…but as with all things, you didn’t always get what you wanted.

Satori chose to address the issue directly. “About that, sir…why the hell are so many people getting shuttled around so fast for this? I thought that I’d made it clear that I was willing to come to you.”

The colonel shrugged. “There lies the machinations of the Pentagon, Sergeant. I have no more insight on their motivations than you do. Your guess is as good as mine.”

Mio decided to interrupt. “Excuse me, but you mentioned the people from NASA would be introducing themselves. I would like to know them so that we can get other things rolling, colonel.”

One of the men from the NASA delegation stepped forward. He was clad in a simple dark blue business suit that had clearly seen better days, and seemed to be chewing on something as he walked forward. “My name is Scott Langley, Director here at Johnson Space Center. Alongside me are my deputies: Director of Mission Operations, Kenneth Wineland, and Director of Engineering, Lauren Johns. We also brought along Mr. Omar Hayes.” The last person was somewhat unique among the others in that he was weaning a simple flight suit, and had a rather unique hairstyle that was accentuated by the (colored!) star patterns shaved into his head.

Satori took one look at him before smiling. “I take it you were the one in Control when we called in?”

Mr. Hayes returned the smile with one of his own, if a little wilder. “Yeah. The only reason I’m not out partying with everyone else is because you mentioned you were coming down.” He extended a hand, which Satori immediately took. “I just had to meet the guys who finally took out the damned Simurgh, you know?”

Judging from the flinch that Director Wineland had only barely suppressed, along with the sudden interest from the cape contingent, Mio was forced to conclude that this was not meant to be public knowledge just yet, at least not to certain groups. The rather abrupt push by the one named Dispatch was proof enough, as he quickly moved himself to the front of the group, stance threatening.

“You are the ones that killed the Simurgh?” It was a demand more than a question, and Mio found her power rushing to the fore, preparing to remove the annoyance from her presence before her Satori responded.

“And if we are?”

The change in demeanor was instant. Dispatch and his subordinates were suddenly super tense, as if they were preparing for a struggle of some kind, though they hid it well…from normal people. For her, spotting the tells was pathetically easy. “I am going to have to ask you to come with me Immediately. The Protectorate will be needing a statement from you.”

The commotion was immediate.

“Now wait a minute–” “Who the fuck do you think–” “You can’t just do that!!--”

“QUI~ET!!”

The shout silenced all complaints, and it was with some surprise that the rest of the group noted that the shout had come from Satori himself. Worse was the deceptive calmness that he was displaying both in body and mind.

Though the Colonel seemed unsurprised. Worth looking into later.

Senator turned towards Dispatch. “So, you say that I need to go with you so that your people can ask me questions. Is this correct?”

Dispatch nodded. “We–”

Satori was immediately inside of Dispatch’s personal space bubble, his hand in a knife shape and pointing directly at Dispatch’s helmet. ““DID I SAY YOU COULD TALK?”

When Dispatch failed to respond, Satori repeated the question. “I said, DID I SAY YOU COULD TALK.

Mio heard a gulp come from dispatch as he steeled himself. “N-no.”

“Then remain silent until otherwise instructed.” Satori waited for a moment to ensure that his command would be obeyed before stepping back and continuing. “As I was saying, you wanted me to answer some questions. My question to you is just as simple: why did you think I am required to answer those questions?”

Silence reigned for a moment, and Satori smirked. “You may speak.”

“We are empowered by federal law in handling all parahuman authorities. And as you have displayed a clear usage of said powers, or technology derived from the same, you are under our authority and purview.”

Mio barely resisted gutting him where he stood, and restraining her aura from affecting the environment was all but impossible at this point, as was made clear by the sudden thermal spike and minor tremors. The statement was a clear and unambiguous attempt to place them in the power of the Protectorate, especially as even a cursory search revealed a particular tidbit about the nature of parahuman powers.

Satori, on the other hand, was doing his damnedest to not burst out into uncontrollable laughter. He did let a few chuckles escape, though.

The others were mostly staring at Dispatch in sheer awe, likely at the naked power grab inherent in the statement.

Satori had stopped his not-laughter at this point, though, and just from his emotions alone, she could tell that the fool was going to regret his words. “And what, if anything, makes you think that I am in any way, shape or fashion a parahuman?”

“You and your companion are rather clear cases of a Case 53.” He was, of course, referring to the rather distinct and unhidden extra bits that they had, at least compared to a baseline human. The same traits that everyone else had been polite about not mentioning due to wanting to have a solid impression with the potential gold mine. “As such, you will be–”

Satori cut him off with a vengeance. “No, no, I will not. And you will shut the fuck up before I grind you into dust.” And Satori was no longer happy. In fact, he was downright furious on a level that she had seen maybe once, and that was in a fucking memory. She could feel the very air around him threatening to lash out, and there had also been a distinct temperature drop in the area as well. A surreptitious mental nudge from her was enough to get him to reign in his power, but only just.

“Do you have any idea of the concept of “chain of command’, Dispatch? Of having to answer to proper authorities of any kind?” Satori asked, mockingly. “I believe you do not, or else you would not be trying this little stunt of yours.”

And suddenly he was in Dispatch’s face again, complete with the knife hand, but now including a dramatically raised voice. “You know damn well that we are not Parahuman, or at least should have known, simply based on where we came from and the exact incidents that played out over the last few hours. And you STILL try to pull this shit?”

What followed was one of the most brutal things that Mio had ever witnessed.

Satori proceeded to, in completely unnecessary and dramatic fashion, completely tear Dispatch apart in every way possible, verbally critiquing everything from his parentage and lifestyle to his choice of occupations and even his fucking underwear. And all of it while screaming so loud that he could probably be heard across the entire base. Hell, the man she loved had somehow managed to even duplicate himself just so he could be screaming at Dispatch from no less than five different directions, each one going after a different topic, and all at the maximum possible volume.

And then he reached into Dispatch’s mind for the worst things to use against him and started going after those, hammering in on every possible fear, anxiety, and even mild annoyance the fucker had with a precision and ruthlessness that was terrifying to behold.

For other people, that is. The Military contingent seemed to be doing the best they could to not laugh, and Mio herself was only just barely avoiding going in herself to tear a strip out of the asshole’s hide. They were also drawing a crowd, as various onlookers came to see exactly what all the noise was about, only to see a parahuman getting chewed up one side and down the other in vivid detail.

One of the other civilians outside the security cordon mentioned something about a Smokey hat, which brought down uproarious laughter from his entire group, and that section of the security cordon as they shared in a joke of some kind.

Dispatch, for his part, tried to talk back, only to get knife hands from every direction and even more screaming. A field of some kind appeared, cutting the grouping off from the rest via some kind of twisted barrier in space-time. Minerva had some interesting things to say about the effect, at any rate…for the three seconds it was active, after which everyone came back out, the screaming (and now wild gestures) completely unabated by whatever had happened. If anything, Dispatch was the worse off for it, now attempting to curl in on himself but being prevented from doing so by Satori propping him up into a standing position, so he could yell more.

And adding critiques on that, as well.

It was quite hilarious, and most of the others watching were getting more than a few laughs out of it, even some of the NASA people.

Of course, the other idiots were not idle. The twin Idiots of Frostbite and Hawkwind were both attempting to position themselves for maximum effect, specifically to block off access from the military contingent and to curtail any “escape” attempts, respectively. Something that had fallen apart when Satori started his “counseling” session with their leader. They were now staring in shock and awe at the man getting reduced to a crying wreck before them, only prevented from intervening by the fact that Mio was psychically holding them in place, mostly so that she would not have to kill them for trying to harm her beloved.

Grey Knight was the outlier, looking extremely tense at the building atmosphere, and giving both Mio and Satori wary eyes. Mio’s guess was that she felt the surge of power when their emotions rose, and realized what he was dealing with long before his bosses did. And, much like many a good subordinate, he had no way to stop the trainwreck that didn’t involve falling on his own sword to save the idiots creating the mess in the first place. Which, from his body language, he was not about to do.

Mio considered him extremely wise for that. And kept him out of the stasis as a subtle reward.

Still, the situation begged a question. She stepped towards Grey Knight, who looked like he would be the most amicable towards answers. “Tell me, exactly what did you hope to accomplish by being here?” she asked, at least somewhat politely. Which was an interesting thing to do, seeing as she still had to be heard over the screaming.

“Our mission was supposed to be as a liaison and meet-and-greet for some high-priority VIPs that Director Danners had informed us about. Past that, we were supposed to listen in, attempt to confirm parahuman involvement, and if so, contact the PRT for further instructions if friendly, or capture and subdue if hostile.”

Mio considered it for a moment. “And this was not supposed to be a massive powergrab by your PRT in an attempt to solidify their position? Especially since it is known that parahuman powers do not persist beyond the atmosphere? Let alone on the moon itself? The transmission we were using was not exactly encoded in any way, and any receiver could have picked it up when we were transmitting. You know full well that we were operating in space. We made no secret of it, and this is, in fact, why the NASA people are here in the first place. So why did your leader attempt to strong-arm the situation on a known military serviceman who is completely outside of your jurisdiction?”

Grey Knight, for his part, shrugged. “I honestly don’t know, ma’am. The way things were working out, I was taking cues from my team to be ready for a fight, I seriously didn’t want one with either of you, but…”

Mio chuckled softly. “Don’t worry, I’m not going to hold it against you. Besides, there were some other things that I needed to talk to you about as well, most pressingly about the fact that you are not a parahuman at all, at least not by the legal or medical definition.”

Grey Knight looked like he had seen a ghost. “I have no clue what you are talking about, ma’am. I am very much a parahuman–”

“No, you are not. You do not possess either of the specialized brain tumors that the others have. Your powers are a direct result of your awakening to something else entirely, and is the reason why your power are so wildly divergent from the norm for most. Especially in the fact that you have been getting stronger over time. I’m sure your theorists are going nuts with that, by the way.”

Grey Knight only nodded, somewhat defeated at the ease in which he was being dissected.

Mio nodded to herself. “Very well, then. In the name of cooperation, I would like to invite you to be an attendant crew member at Miakoda Station.”

There was a wave of shock that rippled across the representative delegation, even as Satori continued his merciless berating of Dispatch.

Grey Knight hesitated for a moment. “Do you…mind if I think about it for a bit? This is a major decision, after all, and well…”

Mio considered the most obvious issues for a brief (for her) moment, and quickly moved to remove the worry. “If you are thinking about your family, don’t woory too much. We can bring them along too, if you want.” Mio turned to the others. “The same goes for you guys as well. Anyone who is accepted for heading up with us can, if they choose, bring along their families. I think it would be a good experience for everyone, after all. If you don’t want to, please let one of us know as soon as possible.”

Col. Gibson broke the shock. “This Miakoda Station, is…?”

“The new name of what you probably are referring to as Pytheas. We renamed the place, since we’d done so much in the way of renovations. We’d intended to explain it, along with some other things, after the introductions were done, and we’d gotten to somewhere where a proper meeting could take place, but…” Mio waves a hand at the still restrained capes and the now openly bawling Dispatch, who is still being screamed at by Satori.

The colonel merely nodded in acknowledgement. “I am assuming that we will receive more details later on, then.”

“That is correct, colonel. If you are ready,” this last part was pitched to include the others as well, “we can begin now.”

Col. Gibson took one last look around, before nodding his assent, which was mirrored by Director Langley. Grey Knight accepted as the de-facto Protectorate liaison, seeing as his comrades were still incapacitated.

The group then proceeded to move to a previously designated meeting space, leaving behind two capes still held in a stasis field (that would wear off…eventually) and a thoroughly traumatized Dispatch, who was only just now getting out of getting smoked into the floor by Satori, who left the wreck of a man to his own devices as he followed the group.

No one in the surrounding crowd paid the parahumans any mind.

The meeting space was a simple office nestled inside one of the secure hangars on site, and was fully equipped with teleconferencing equipment to get the rest of the important people who couldn’t be there in person. There were enough seats for everyone involved, even Grey Knight, whom Mio insisted sit with us for the meet, despite his not having formally accepted her offer.

Of course, we both knew better. Grey Knight was about as close to a complete shoo-in as we were going to get, crew-wise, and would be quite useful in the training programs we’d want to implement as well.

Still, that was something for later. Right now, we had to deal with the usual politics and other BS.

There was a delay while a few fiddly bits got set up regarding connections, but eventually the various video calls were connected, revealing the images of several key personnel, notably of the type usually based in Washington.

Still, it was basically my meeting, so I’d have to start things off. “Alright, ladies and gentlemen, we all know why we’re here, so let’s get to it. I’ll cede the floor to the Colonel for now, unless anyone else has something pressing to add?”

There were no objections, so Col. Gibson took center stage. “Very well, sergeant. I’ll start off on our end. You have been introduced to everyone here in this room, but there are several others that could not make the trip down in person, and requested to be involved.

“First is the President, Raymond Gillen, who wished to speak to you regarding matters. With him are the current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, General Blake Cummins, as well as his support staff. The Secretary of Defense was unavailable to participate, though he does send his regards.”

I perked up at the mention of what was effectively the top end of the chain of command sitting in personally instead of letting the colonel handle things. I suspected there were other things at play for this, but kept my curiosity for the moment.

“Also with us are the Chief Administrator of NASA, a Ms. Wendy Hearthstone, who requested to be here as an observer. Something about history and whatnot.” There was a general chuckle shared across the room and beyond, considerably lightening the atmosphere, before the Colonel continued. “Alongside we have Donald Anderson, Chief of DARPA, and Art Renner from the NASA Jet Propulsion Labs, who both requested to be present for any technical demonstrations.”

“Finally, we have the Chief Director of the Parahuman Response Teams, Rebecca Costa-Brown, who I am informed insisted on being present. I apologize for the late addition.”

I waved it off. “No issues. I was going to need to make a few points anyway. Might as well do it to her face, so to speak.” My tone was deceptively mild, but those of us who had (or were still) wearing uniforms caught the meaning all too clearly: I was aware of the reasoning behind Costa-Brown butting her head in, and was not amused.

At all.

“Introductions complete, I now hand the floor to the President. Mr. President?”

President Gillen nodded, his face taking up the majority of the viewscreen. “Thank you, colonel. Sergeant Green, Mrs. Green,” I could distinctly feel Mio’s happiness at hearing that, “On behalf of the United States of America and the world at large, I would like to formally thank you for your contributions today. You have ended a threat long in its shadow, and as a result the world can now sleep a little safer, knowing that no more of the Simurgh’s machinations haunt the future. We are in your debt.” There was a solemn pause at the end from all parties.

I filled the silence after a moment. “You are more than welcome, Mr. President. I am just glad that the method we used was so effective in dispatching the feathered bitch. I was worried we’d have to break out the big guns for that one.”

Several heads perked at hearing that, the interest in the weapons capable of damaging an Endbringer clear to see. “I’ll elaborate on those later, however.”

The President barked out a short laugh. “I’ll hold you to that. Sergeant, but first, I believe that General Cummins had something to add in.”

The General took focus on the screen. “Thank you, Mr. President. Now then, sergeant, it was mentioned that you may have had some technology that was of significant military import. What exactly were you referring to?”

Mio was already pulling out the Box, having retrieved it from her storage before we began the meeting. I motioned to it as I spoke. “Well, most of what I have at the moment is primarily meant for NASA to play with, but there are indeed things there that could see some use if developed in the appropriate directions.” I gestured to the DARPA chief, who nodded back at my notice that they would inevitably be involved in whatever gets cooked up. “That being said, what we did bring down as demonstrators were…significant. Most of it is either propulsion systems or power generation and batteries technology, but I do have a project that I’m working on that is a fairly streamlined form of quantum computing, though it’s in the early stages at the moment. It's based somewhat on an extension and expansion of the old holographic storage concept, for those of you in the know.”

The various nods from the more technical minded confirmed that they had been still exploring the concept even here., so I moved on. “As for the propulsion stuff, it’s primarily a form of relatively cheap and energy-efficient counter-gravity technology, along with a similarly developed repulsor system that could be potentially used as a thrust mechanism with a little work. We already have a variant design in the works for that one that is still in testing, so we’ll get back to you when we have results.”

The NASA people were staring googly-eyed at me as if I had just said Santa was real.

“Also included are notes and technical schematics on several forms of power generation, with a focus on fusion power, including a variant that, while a bit difficult to implement, allows for power generation well beyond anything that conventional fusion is capable of. We would have brought a demonstrator, but the size factors involved precluded this. The other stuff, like the collar cells and the theory behind them, are included here, along with some samples.”

“As for the battery tech, well…this shit has to be seen to be believed.”

I pulled out the portable holoprojector and set it in the middle of the table, then set the playback to the battery tests we’d run on the Imperial Power packs. Included very prominently was the practical examples of the packs being able to gain significant charge from damn near anything up to and including a goddamn campfire, and still function. Also included was the differences between the ‘base’ specification of the power pack as implemented on Necromunda, the actual STC standard version (which was superior in all ways), and the variants that Mio and I had cooked up, that were varying levels of superior in certain categories from the STC counterpart, clearly showing what could be improved and how.

The looks on people’s faces were priceless.

“Also in this nice box here is some stuff related to superconductor theory, along with practical examples thereof. I am well aware of how much of a pain in the ass those are to work with, and the designs here are meant for multiple applications, including three designs for RTSC’s and at least one that I’d worked out that is workable in more…hostile environments. I leave it to you to determine how to work with that.”

“The final contents of this nice box here is a grab-bag of various alloys and compounds that might be useful, along with notes on the composition and possible methods to create them. Note that this may take some time due to industrial needs, but aside from that feel free to go nuts.”

The room was deadly silent. NASA and the DARPA reps were completely starstruck, and Ms. Hearthstone was all but vibrating in her seat even through the monitor. JPL’s reaction was even more amusing, as the feed there was visibly muted, and there was obvious shouting and celebrations going on as the mere existence of some of this stuff solved so many issues they’d had prior to now.

General Cummins had somehow managed to keep his cool, despite his subordinates on his end of the screen (and the Colonel and Majors on ours) all but gaping at the implications involved in just that box alone. He somehow kept himself a very cool customer, even in the face of massive technical advancement staring them in the face, and his own clear excitement at the possibilities inherent within, which I considered quite the achievement.

I liked the guy already.

The one holdout was Costa-Brown, who had a distinctly neutral expression on her face, one that was completely at odds with everything going on in this meeting. Mio noticed it as well, and was almost immediately on guard for shenanigans based solely on the fact that she wasn’t celebrating.

I set Thoth into research mode to figure out why, before continuing. “I believe that these, with a little R&D work, should be more than sufficient for you to work up something interesting for use, particularly in reviving the space program. Past that, the sky is the limit.”

“Please excuse me, but there is reason to believe that this may be some form of Tinkertech, and thus needing your personal involvement in the maintenance and upkeep thereof. We at the PRT would have to do thorough testing to ensure that this is not the case before allowing–”

“Lemme stop you right there, Costa-Brown.” I cut in. “I know you head me mention that the technical schematics were included with all of this, and on a personal note, my own background as a technical specialist completely precludes me from trying to hoodwink people on this scale. Take your attempt to butt in and kindly stuff it. If you want access to the tech, talk to NASA or the DoD. I’m already pissed off enough with your organization as it is. Do NOT make it worse.”

My glare at the screen now having Costa-Brown’s face on it was NOT kind in the slightest. Costa-Brown, for her part, stared right back as if nothing was amiss. “Regardless of your statements or feeling on the matter, we at the PRT are directly responsible for all matter parahuman and as such will need to vet all technology applications to ensure that they comply with relevant federal law. This is non-negotiable and you will comply.”

I stared at the screen, barely containing my shock at the sheer gall being displayed here, before changing my line of sight to the window displaying the President. There was no change in his demeanor, though it seemed very forced. I then glanced at Gen. Cummins, who subtly shook his head.

And a picture painted itself in my mind. This Costa-Brown Character, despite only being the director of a law enforcement agency covering a very specific and equally well-defined category of persons, was somehow able to amass enough political capital that she was able to completely step on the turf of the second most important governmental department of the United States with no repercussions whatsoever.

Mio, as always attuned to my moods, was already working with the agreed-upon contingency and contacting the appropriate people. I stalled for a brief moment to let her do her thing, before continuing on.

“Costa Brown. I do believe you are out of line.”

The whipcrack that went through the room was almost audible at my response, and I noted several people moving to speak all at once, including the President.

I did not let them.

“No, all of you shut up. I don’t want to hear it. I just watched this woman here completely steamroll every last one of you with a single sentence like she was entitled to it, despite it being blatantly clear that I nor anything I have to offer should not fall under her purview. Last I checked, Mr. President, The PRT was a federal agency and under your final command, correct? And the Department of Defense in general held primacy over enlisted and officer personnel?”

Of course, Costa-Brown refused to back down. “Regardless of what you think, this is what will happen. I will also require you to speak with the local PRT branch as soon as possible regarding your contact with the Simurgh, and to undergo Master/Stranger protocols as appropriate. Otherwise, we may be forced to brand you as a potential threat vector, and respond appropriately.”

Mio finished her setup, and the holoprojector image immediately changed again, this time to an office occupied by a man in a suit.

A Mexican Flag was clearly visible in the background.

“Buenos Dias. I am President Julian San Marcos. You mentioned you were having some trouble with our American counterparts?”

Mio smiled at the man. “Some trouble with the PRT regarding jurisdiction and control. I trust you have reviewed the packet we sent?”

The Mexican President brightened noticeably. “But of course, señora. We would be more than willing to host you and yours if the PRT insists on turning you away. We can implement anything you need as you need it, just let us know.”

You could hear a pin drop in the room, the gauntlet clearly having been thrown down in regard to the PRT interference. Most of those present were looking at us with shocked (and in one particular case, downright terrified) eyes, all but watching their big score walking out the door because one of their number couldn’t accept that she would not be the one calling the shots.

President Gillen tried to regain control of the situation. “Sergeant, I do not think that will be necessary–”

I cut off the President of the United Stated of America. “ I believe it is, in light of the continued insistence of the PRT, and it’s leadership, to assert authority in a situation where they have none.”

“I came here with the intent to spread around the good news about the Simurgh, and to provide technology and opportunities for NASA to get back into the space exploration gig. I had also intended to liaise with the Department of Defense regarding their participation in this matter, as well as access to certain potential technologies that they would find interesting. I intended to do this solely out of goodwill, with my only requested concession being a favorable recommendation for setup of certain business ventures relevant to these ends.”

“As things are currently, I am being forced to consider alternatives to my previous plan, and instead set up in a favorable location in Mexico, complete with offering them whatever they need to meet my standards of approval for housing personnel on Miakoda Station.”

Thoth pinged me back with a blurb of information that I assimilated instantly…and brought me a bit of surprise as I considered the implications of the data. It did give me an idea to use, however.

“But, since it is clear that not even the President of the United States is capable of reining in his own Chief PRT director, I will offer a compromise.” I turned back to Costa-Brown. “You say you are worried about our exposure to the Simurgh, correct? I will agree to undergoing your screening under two conditions:

“First, all of the tech contained within the Box will be studied and vetted by non-PRT sources as to their usability and reliability, and their status as tinkertech. They are literally the most knowledgeable people in the world regarding the subject, and can farm out to other agencies as appropriate.”

Costa-Brown seemed to relax a bit, and I smirked. Gotcha Bitch.

“The second stipulation is related to the exposure limits of Simurgh engagements, which I have done some research on. The standard for exposure is…20 minutes, correct?”

Costa-Brown nodded.

“Then I propose that your Triumvirate, specifically Alexandria, be held for time proportional to their exposure to the Simurgh as well. And before you start thinking to be smart, I will note that our total exposure to the range of the Simurgh is six point four two one seconds. I will be requiring that every Hour of holding for screening be measured against that chunk of time and applied to the total exposure for your people.”

“Oh, and before I forget, this applies solely to American agencies and organizations. The Mexican government is its own entity and will be treated as such with regard to any tech sharing prospects.”

For the first time, I finally understood the concept of silence being violent. It was very much the case in that room at that moment. My smirk only got more vicious as I saw Costa-Brown suppress the normal motor functions that would indicate her shock…and her rage.

Thing is, the Force is bullshit, psionically amped up force stuff even more so. Focusing on her, even with us being so far away, allowed me to get a good read on her mental state, and all the confirmation I needed for the conclusion that Thoth had come to based on the available data.

‘Hello, Alexandria. So nice to meet you, too.’

The message got through as intended. The bitch was pissed as fuck, but she knew I held all the cards and was more than willing to burn every bridge to see her burn if it came to it.

So, of course, she quickly changed tacks. “I see. In that case, in light of your…protracted engagement time, I see no need to subject you to Master/Stranger screening at this time. We would still like to speak to you regarding the Simurgh and the details of the encounter, but understand that you have other priorities.”

General Cummins burst out laughing. It was a jolly thing from such a man, but was welcome all the same. It was nearly a full minute before he calmed enough to speak. “See, that is the backbone of an NCO right there. Any doubts I had that you were one of ours, regardless of where you came from, are gone. Good job, Sergeant.”

President Gillen finally managed to pick his jaw up off the floor (metaphorically, anyway) to regain some semblance of order. “Very well, if that has been settled?”

Mio decided to twist the knife, “One more thing, Mr. President. In light of recent events, I feel that we must now insist on a total cooperation in terms of technical advancement and resource sharing between the United States and Mexico considering the Box. To prevent international incidents, of course.” She added, almost as an afterthought.

President San Marcos could not have been happier.

The nitty-gritty of the meeting had concluded, with us having turned over the Box and it’s contents to the local NASA personnel, along with a formal request for volunteers for stays at Miakoda Station. The same had been pitched to Gen. Cummins, who noted that he would get his people working on it ASAP and have a list ready to use.

Shockingly enough, the separate listing of potential replacements for me on Miakoda seemed to vanish overnight after word of how poor Becky got handled spread. Seemed that nobody wanted to risk my ire, especially when I’d made it clear that I played international hardball.

That being said, the response to our having formally requested Grey Knight (and only Grey Knight) as a Protectorate Liaison was…muted. People probably suspected ulterior motives, but nobody could prove anything., nor did they actually want to.

And so, meeting over, I found myself standing before Colonel Gibson at his request regarding a matter he said was sensitive. Mio was leaning on a wall nearby, doing some people watching, while she checked out Bet’s internet and set up the initial sites for the manufacturing bases in Mexico.

“Alright, Colonel, what’s so important you had to get away from the PRT oversight to ask about?”

Gibson snorted out a laugh. “Thought you would pick up on that. Anyway, there are two matters that I needed to address. The first is regarding a hunch of mine that I need confirmed: Your abilities…you can teach them to others, can’t you?”

I actually blinked at that question. God DAMN this man is good.

“...I won’t deny it, but how the hell did you even come to that conclusion in the first place? Especially with the preponderance of parahuman BS going on?”

A small smirk spread across the Colonel’s face. “General observation and experience, son. Also, I overheard your wife speaking to Grey Knight, and put some pieces together. So…second point is somewhat related, as the brass has tapped me on this subject to ask what it’s going to take to get access.”

Now it was my turn to smirk. “Well, aside from waiting a bit for me to make the offer, that you have now beaten me to? I need to screen the recruits. Not everyone is going to be qualified for what I have to teach, Colonel, and I fully intend to create an instructor core out of these guys so that they can teach everyone else.”

I waited until I saw the full implication of what I had just said had sunk in. “This world… parahumans have taken over entirely too much to be safe, and they are unstable at the best of times. My dressing down of Dispatch is proof enough of that, really. I got worse than that in Basic, but he all but shattered under the strain. Do you really want those people having power while the rest of the world does not?” It was a rhetorical question and we both knew it.

“Besides, there is a second factor. Grey Knight was kind of unexpected, but it proves that people can awaken their own latent talents and use them without any formal training, and most will think that it was just a nonstandard trigger. These people both can and will be invaluable in stemming the tide of parahumans later on, especially the crazy fucks rolling around.”

Gibson could only chuckle to himself. “Damn. This is excellent. More than I could have asked for, really. Makes what I am about to do all the more justified.”

And, to my shock, The colonel came to attention. “Attention to Orders.”

It was pure reflex that I obeyed the command. I felt Mio’ attention shift over to me for a moment, curiosity in her mind.

“Technical Sergeant Satori Green, it is with great honor and humility that we recognize your accomplishments and contribution to the Armed Forces, both in word and deed. Your skills have been proven to the satisfaction of the President and the Joint Chiefs, to such a degree that an exceptional merit is required.”

He then pulled out a very familiar piece of paper, along with a small box, “Please raise your right hand and repeat after me: I, state your name, having been appointed a Warrant Officer in the United States Air Force…”

This…this changed a lot.

The US Air Force had done away with its Warrant Officer corps back in the sixties, citing a lack of need due to having the senior enlisted ranks of Senior and Chief Master Sergeant. It had held for decades, despite having a distinct crisis regarding availability of pilots and the lack of commissioned officers to fly them.

And yet, here, on Earth Bet, the Air Force was willing to reinstate the Warrant Officer Corps, starting with myself, as a means of both retaining my awesome technical expertise…and as a note for the future corps of those who would follow in my footsteps as wielders of their innate talents.

I was literally being asked to create and train a corps of combat mages for the Air Force, along with my other duties in all areas technical. It was kind of surreal, but I was getting over it quickly.

“So, what does this mean, exactly?” Mio asked me, lightly draping herself onto my shoulder.

I took a moment to steady myself before answering.

“It means we have our jobs cut out for us.”

She was silent for a moment.

“Very well. I will activate the Tower, and get started on some training plans. You, on the other hand, have to go through a service school, I believe?”

I shrugged. “Supposedly there is a waiver in place or similar due to the circumstances, or at least while the rest of the Air Force absorbs the change and figures out what the hell a Warrant Officer School is supposed to look like. In the meantime, I’m kind of just here, and only a mere WO1 instead of the intended rank that had been authorized for me, but that is bureaucracy for you.”

Because the Military definitely had bureaucracy, even if it was far more efficient than it’s normal governmental counterparts. This, of course, meant that my actual rank of Chief Warrant Officer 5 was being delayed until I checked off the boxes, despite the general agreement that I had more important things to be doing and the fact that this was coming directly from the President and the Joint Chiefs themselves, with the Secretary of the Air Force being read in even now, and Congress being rustled to put their required stamp of approval on the decision.

The thought brought a light peal of laughter to my lips. Some things truly never changed.

That being said, what Mio was suggesting activating was kind of a big deal: it was part of the ongoing updates in the Forge log that Watts was still crunching through, and based on the notes was the equivalent of the same facility seen on SR388: a Chozo-made Weapons and technology testing center complete with automated test robots to perform all the work. The interesting part was that this version came fully stocked with all the modifications that we would have wanted to be applied already effected, and would be ready for anything we could throw at it from day one.

This didn’t add in to the other thing that came through the pipe that changed everything.

Because included in the update was the distilled knowledge of a true and fully-trained Device Meister…along with everything that meant. We were going to have to redo the Computation orb designs again, but this time it would be worth it–

An error message popped up in my HUD before a spike of pain burned itself into my back. It was bad, but not horrible, so I was more than capable of keeping my wits as it burned itself into my back. A light gasp from Mio confirmed she was feeling the same pain, and was equally handling it.

I quickly forced myself into the forgescape to figure out what was going on, only to be met directly by a woman I assumed was Watts’ wife. At least judging by looks.

“No time to explain, just PUSH!!”

I pushed, and a malicious black mass of something was summarily ejected from the forgescape, leaving behind an odd residue that was quickly cleaned up and contained…but it was clear that it had left its mark. Parts of the forge seemed to be glitchy, and inactivated nodes were looking downright corrosive compared to their normal cheery counterparts.

I turned to the woman to ask for an explanation, but she beat me to the punch.

“That thing was a remnant from your run-in with the big black mass that tried to corrupt you before. It acted like a sort of trojan horse, seeking out and attempting to destroy the forge itself through corrupting your soul. We were able to isolate most of it, but then some kind of failsafe activated and, well, this happened. The damage…we’ll have to get back to you on that part, but you should be able to activate at least one more set of nodes before we take things offline for a bit to do some cleanup. Shouldn’t affect usage of things already on and imprinted, but the rest…I’m not sure what we can save, if anything. We’ll let you know.”

She quickly stepped towards me, and then gave me one of the most intense kisses I’d ever gotten from anyone that wasn’t Mio–wait a minute–

“Take care of her. And don’t forget to take care of yourself as well. I’ll see you soon.”

And I was gently pushed out of the forgescape and back into normal waking reality, but with a very weird question on my mind.

Why the hell was Watt’s wife kissing me that hard…and why was she Mio?

Yep. This actually happened.

No, I am not sorry.

For those of you confused by events, this is a nice way of letting me get a perk out of my queue and slow down rolls for a bit while I focus the story on other things going on. It’s about to get Crazy, yo.

Perks for this Chapter (note: not all of them are mentioned yet)

-Bonesinger (Warhammer 40K - Craftworld Eldar Jumpchain) (400CP)
    Dear child, the Eldar do not simply build their wondrous technology. Instead, they rely on the power of song to shape their creations into being. This is a very demanding process, which requires a unique mix of artistic and scientific knowledge. Most importantly of all, a strong mind is necessary for this process. Bonesingers sing a psychic song, and its melodies form a psychoactive material from the warp itself, called Wraithbone. This lightweight material is stronger than titanium but is far more flexible and weighs less. Additionally you can psychically grow crystals that are the basis of their laser & lance technology. You have the knowledge and ability to sing any Eldar technology and any technology you know into being and more than that, eons of experience in doing so. Even so, the more complex an item is, the more time it takes to create said item. A whole choir of Bonesingers is required to create large and complex items such as starships and Eldar Titans unless you are willing to sing alone for years. With enough time, perhaps, you could even sing forth a brand-new Craftworld but how and where would you acquire that much time? Even an Eldar is not immortal.

“Minor” Infection (Special)
    You came to Ragol aboard Pioneer I, and you were one of the first to be exposed to Dark Falz. You were able to escape, but not before being infected by DCells. Thankfully, your situation wasn’t quite as bad as poor Heathcliff’s, and you avoided telling anyone about your issue. The signs of this encounter are obvious to anyone who knows where to look—it could be anything from a curious tattoo to a festering wound, but it won’t significantly impact your life.
    That doesn’t mean you escaped unchanged, though. You find yourself capable of working powerful illusions over an area. You can convince people there is a spire where nothing stands, or that they’re walking on green grass as they step on a field of crushed skulls. As soon as the world fails to match up between two of their senses the illusion will break, though, and you can’t do much about touch. You get additional effects based on the other perks you’ve purchased.
    (this is a capstone booster).

Walk Towards the Light Dr. Osto’s Successor
    You’ve gained an unnatural understanding of how D-Cells interact with other organisms and technology, in large part because you yourself are now something of a D-Cell organism. Creating Mags, alternate lifeforms, D-Cell based weaponry, Artificial Intelligence, all these things are within your grasp. Given enough time and effort, you might even be able to surpass Dr. Osto himself and create Mags with greater limits, or none at all, or lifeforms surpassing anything seen on Ragol. Just reaching Dr. Osto’s level will require a lot of work though, and surpassing it much more. Perhaps you can find his notes, to help you along?

-Nullspace Computer (Megas XLR) (100CP)
    You have a computer tower you can summon from and banish to nullspace. allowing you to upgrade it but otherwise keep it safe. You may summon a holographic interface for it at will.
    * Massive upgradable supercomputer that can be kept safe by existing outside reality and simultaneously be used due to its holographic interface making it an extremely useful item which benefits from all abilities which improve its performance while being entirely tamper proof.

-Neoalchemist (The Glass Scientists) (200CP)
    Invisibility serums, subtle poisons, superspeed formulae, if the Victorians ever imagined it could be done with chemistry, you can do it.

-Tenebrium Basics | Tenebrium Mine (Divinity - Original Sin) (800CP)
    Tenebrium Basics (200CP)
    Tenebrium is an odd mineral. It grows like a crystal, but can be melted and forged like iron. It is easily enchanted, but highly resistant to other kinds of magic. In addition, it is highly dangerous and inflicts a disease known simply as Rot upon all those who handle it in any form. Worst of all, Rot cannot be cured by simple magical spells, requiring rare and powerful artifacts to cleanse the infected. Most cannot afford such things and slowly wither over the months following handling a single chunk of crystal. But with this perk, you have come to understand how to safely handle Tenebrium without infecting yourself.
    Tenebrium Mine (600CP)
    Tenebrium is an utterly useful material, for all that it is also incredibly dangerous to handle. Still, considering all its uses, one can hardly be blamed for desiring to have a steady supply of the crystal on hand. The Tenebrium Mine attaches directly to your Cosmic Warehouse and takes the form of a traditional mining tunnel about a hundred feet deep. Inside one will find a few dozen crystals of Tenebrium growing, each large enough to produce a single ingot when smelted. Once harvested new crystals will slowly grow in their place over the course of a week. The mine is also capable of producing other metals, crystals, and even gemstones if given a sample of such material. These will form in veins along the walls of the tunnel, but grow much more slowly. Exotic metals will form at a rate of one ingot every two weeks and crystals will produce roughly the same amount. Gemstones seem to be easier and the mine will produce a collection of small stones that will fill a cupped hand in a week. Normal metals, like gold and silver, can also be produced at a rate of one ingot per week. An ingot here refers to enough material to forge a traditional longsword with.