1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Those Blessed with Talent

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Darkened, Feb 26, 2015.

1. rcnr

rcnr Dangerously Chuuni

Well status: Poisoned.

Still, our perception is great for our age, and the chance Lord Mu can bluff us is pretty vanishing. The biggest benefit of servitude has always been safety, and being the street-savvy friend of a young noble will give us some genuine goodwill and concern for our wellbeing. We also don't need a designer pet, since we're specifically good at training up normal beasties, and redaeth's omake got us our starter.

I bet we'll even be considered a good influence, since on top of being powerful we'll be able to curb his dangerous naivete, or at least back him up when things get serious. He sounds like he'd get into a lot of trouble.

10 Gold is pretty clearly a fraction of what we're worth, and the fact that he's trying to overwhelm us with sweets and more gold than we've ever seen in our life so we don't notice the unclear duties leads me to believe Yuwen Xiao is ready with the suicide missions or brainwashing techs when it becomes politically expedient.

[X] The Mu Clan's idiot brat: 20 silver a year, an idiot will help you find pets, education. You'll have to be this weirdo's friend?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    Pandemonious Ivy and Darkened like this.
  2. redaeth

redaeth Stubborn pedantrist

[X] The Mu Clan's idiot brat: 20 silver a year, an idiot will help you find pets, education. You'll have to be this weirdo's friend?

3. BFldyq

BFldyq It's pronounced Be-Fled-Ick

At this point, I'm contemplating just running for it.

Winged One and Darkened like this.
  4. Pandemonious Ivy

Pandemonious Ivy Making the rounds.

He had me at "I'll help you catch a dragon".

Pipeman and Darkened like this.
  5. BFldyq

[X] Reject everyone and try to make a run for it. You'll have to dodge Han Wei's thugs and Lady Yuwen Xiao might hold it against you.

6. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

Unless Mu turns out to be the heir to the clan or something, we really should have taken two days, but, even if Mu turns out to not actually be of much higher birth than Little Bee thinks he is, the fact that the Mu Clan is clinging to its status by virtue of its crazily powerful leader and isn't involved in any of the alliances means at least neither Han nor Yuwen will have an inside route to get back at us and the fact that we are the little lord's personal servant means we'd be somewhat insulated from the rest of the clan if it turns out they're a bag of dicks.

Considering that the Yuwen offer is kind of creepily suspicious, that the Han offer has obvious issues and that I very much doubt our ability to get away on our own or to recover from something like this, Mu would be the way to go, even if the kid hadn't won my heart over already.
    The risk is of course that we are being completely fooled by Mu, but as rcnr noted that seems unlikely.

Pandemonious Ivy likes this.
  7. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

Quick question: Do we know if it's possible for our 'contract' to be bought out by someone else?

Because I'm getting the feeling that we've completely outsmarted ourselves by going to an independent location to 'sell' ourselves.

Winged One likes this.
  8. BFldyq

That's the Zen clan, actually.

9. rcnr

rcnr Dangerously Chuuni

Right, because Mu is the family name, so Mu Zen would be the head of the Mu clan.

The awkward look Yuwen's servant is giving Lord Mu leads me to believe they're allies. He went off on Han's servant at the markets, and he ignored him at the auction. It's not awkward to bid against an enemy or someone you have no relation to, and Han's bid is worse, so it's not pity or confusion.

Since holding a grudge over picking an ally who is bidding for a personal companion rather than a disposable soldier is practically an insult, I don't think any Yuwen-based consequences will reach us if we go with Lord Mu.

10. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

11. Wawv

Wawv Getting sticky.

12. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

There is no Zen Clan.
    There is a Mu Clan, which is lead by the famous Mu Zen, can therfore also accurately be described as "Zen's Clan" (which is what I assume that one post referring to a "Zen Clan" meant to say) and this boy who didn't even give us his name belongs to.

Isn't he staring at Shouting at Storms, which is awkward because the old man doesn't stop smiling?
    The passage is a bit unclear.

If he's staring at Lord Mu though, it's probably not because they're allies (which the Mu Clan doesn't really have and Lord Mu seems to young for to have independantly of his Clan), but because Lord Mu's an unattended noble kid with no supervision and dirty robes that apparently decided to go visit the slave market on his own and offer 20 silvers for a A- ranked girl so he can have an awesome playmate.

13. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

It was and then it stealthily became the Mu clan when I realized that Zen isn't actually a real family name. (It doesn't seem to be a real given name either but that's less egregious.)

Clarified wording. The old man is looking at Mu and a bit weirded out seeing him there. You don't know why.

The Mu clan lacks allies institutionally, individual branches might have some.

That said, it's borderline impossible that a noble child anywhere near Little Bee's age would be able to slip out on his own to anywhere like the slave markets, much less make a contract to purchase Little Bee.

14. BFldyq

Meaning either a) he's not actually a member of a clan, b) he's older then he looks(age-retarding skill?), c) he's there with permission of the clan, or d) he's just that good.

Or finally, e) any combination of the above.

15. rcnr

rcnr Dangerously Chuuni

If the Mu clan actually approves and put guards in the audience, that's a huge benefit. No having to beat feet getting chased by Han's muscle and then trying to convince a powerful adult that we haven't ensorcelled their beloved relative.

If we're getting duped by some kind of Master-of-Disguise class with bullshit high charisma, the deal's not that much worse. When not interpreted charitably, "become friends with Lord Mu" could mean brainwashing, but Yuwen's offer is just as bad. It makes his offer to go beast taming with us better, since he's an adult with a scout class instead of a kid, and we get education either way. We lose out on money, but our term is 3-5 years shorter.

To be honest, I kind of doubt it. I don't think the same person would consider dirtying up his clothes but slip in "little sis" when he's trying to act our age. It's not like he had to improvise on the spot, we weren't exactly a dynamic conversation partner.

Of course, this is all OOC knowledge, so basing a vote off of it would be wrong and immoral.

Winged One and Pandemonious Ivy like this.
  16. Xicree

Gloved hand means we can't see if he has a mark... Ie... he might also be Talented.

Pandemonious Ivy likes this.
  17. BFldyq

...Everyone has them in this. This isn't DCQ.

Unless you mean his rank, in which case is high, then yes, it's possible. But all Nobles have the glove coverings. He could be D ranked, for all we know.

18. Pandemonious Ivy

Pandemonious Ivy Making the rounds.

Personally, I think we'd be better off with a friendly face, regardless of where we go. Between the options of "asshole slave driver, child manipulator", "creepy old man with vague intentions", and "potentially duplicitous, but fairly friendly kid", I'll take the bait and go with the last one.

Besides, guys, X RANKED TORMENT INFERNAL DRAGON! IT DOESN'T NEED TO EXIST, WE CAN JUST QUEST FOR ONE!

Nolrai2, Winged One, Darkened and 2 others like this.
  19. Xicree

Screw that Panda... I want back my Nightmare.

20. BFldyq

Um, what?

21. Xicree

Heh. Something from the Last game which this is basically a remake of.

22. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

Or it could be further indication of the Mu clan having a "Who gives a shit? We're lead by the Mu Zen" attitude regarding things like keeping a close eye on their children and forming alliances.

23. rcnr

rcnr Dangerously Chuuni

Being held afloat through the sheer power of your clan head probably does a lot to shape their opinions about nobility. I wouldn't be surprised if Lord Mu's adoption offer was serious, assuming we actually show our rank during our time as a servant.

Seriously doubting we can be strung along for five to seven years with ever-increasing charisma, so if we do get the option to join, we'll know what we're getting into.

Winged One likes this.
  24. Garahs

Garahs Soil Surveyor

[X] Mu clan

25. redaeth

Well, there could be another reason why the old man is so nervous at such a lackluster bid from the Mu clan. This is Mu Zen himself, turns out he was a shouta all along.

R.A.G., Arkeus, Winged One and 2 others like this.
  26. BFldyq

You'll notice that such a thing could easily be included in my possibilities above. :p

27. drake_azathoth

drake_azathoth Fabulously Evil

We'd have to be pretty dumb to take either of the alternatives.

28. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

29. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

We kind of were dumb enough to wait three days, so that's not saying much.

Honestly though, even if it turns out that Mu is the best of all possible outcomes, that would basically just be dumb luck saving us and it's rather clear that waiting three days was an obvious mistake we still threw ourselves into with all of our might.

Winged One likes this.
  30. redaeth

Lord Han Wei's ire wouldn't have faded with the auction over. Those who were cowed by his threats\listening to his recommendations would still be susceptible to such after the auction.

Instead of viewing it as losing chances, view it as weeding out the chaff. /optimism

That isn't to say we couldn't have picked a good buyer at day 2, just that Han Wei would still be hanging over our heads.

Pandemonious Ivy and Xicree like this.