1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

"I know this game like the back of my hand."

*plays for at least five hours before figuring out that's where the healthbar is with the FRIK mod*

...I still have to figure out how to use a critical, since the prompts don't match the altered control scheme.

EDIT: Also, my Wolf Radio mod still works. Removed from Nexus for having licensed music. But I saved it so I can still listen to classic rock and metal along with an old Raider getting fucked up on chems and arguing with his Assaultron.

Last edited: May 21, 2023
    Keldin likes this.
  2. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Apparently some enemies can just straight up disappear in Elden Ring, so that's cool I guess? I'm talking about the Black Blade Kindred near the Great Lift.

3. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

This is objectively untrue.

If you pull them too far away from their spawn point they'll warp back to it.

UnthinkingWisdom likes this.
  4. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

No, like, I got killed by that boss in the Forbidden Land in front of the Great Lift. When I approached the boss area, the creature failed to spawn.

5. searcher8

searcher8 Are you trying to harden my Nanomachines Son?

>Start first match of Starship Troopers: Extinction on Quick Play.

>Step out of respawn bunker and IMMEDIATELY within 10 seconds get one shot by a plasma bug mortar, and get sent flying 100+ meters away, off a cliff.

1,000,000,000,000/10, Game of the Aeon, All Aeons, would gladly join the mobile infantry to become a citizen, would love to know more. I cannot say for certain that the devs were specifically drawing inspiration from this picture when they were designing the game, but by god, it's the closest any game has ever come to making something like that.

6. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

I like how they scratched off the EA logo.

Aside: The first encounter with a Glowing One I was underleveled to handle proved great motivation for finally figuring out the Critical button is A on the non-dominant hand. A bit counter-intuitive.

Finally found a mod for weapon-crafting that doesn't require all DLCs, so as soon as I grab Gun Nut I'll be able to make my combat shotgun. I'm allllmost to Diamond City, so I should be able to start buying things I need- like the Nuclear Material and Ballistic Fiber for the X-92 Combat Suit. I mean, I'll probably go back to the Deathclaw Hunter armor eventually, but hunting deathclaws for the parts is... a ways down the line.

searcher8 likes this.
  7. Keldin

Keldin Well worn.

It's hard to take literally anything you say about Video Game development seriously when you try to claim this and put it on QA "being lazy OBVIOUSLY look at these bugs!"

Let alone Video Game QA.

For the love of god do not make me get links or anything, this is something so simple and known well enough that you'd might as well ask for tons of studies to prove minimum wage jobs, from being a waiter to cashier to fast food joints, are all grueling and terribly paid instead.

8. Velk

Velk Brok3n1s

Yes. Besides, some glitches or bug become features like Skyrim being… Skyrim. Yesterday I crashed the game and had my save files corrupted, as in when ever I tried to load a save it would say it was corrupted after loading, rebooted earlier and most things are fine. I have my inventory, the important parts of it anyway

Besides the horses being halfway into the ground upon loading in.

tldr: Don’t give a fuck and let your hair down.

Rakdos92 and Keldin like this.
  9. rx915

rx915 Experienced.

Looks good?

10. Keldin

Keldin Well worn.

Point of contest, but prior to the recent one the (Toby Era)Spiderman 2 movie game was widely considered the best Spiderman game and the best movie-to-video game game in general.

I might have to check that out depending on if it has matchmaking or something, I love that he mentioned and talked a bit about how the movie critics weren't exactly very bright.

Bonus irony since the movie is a satire of the book which is actually a jingoistic sci-fi novel lol

Thread tax: Destiny 2's new Season drops in less then 10 hours, gonna check it out but not dive too deep.

I've spent like the last 8 months in the game and we just had an expansion drop at the same time as this ending Season so there was a lot of stuff to farm through lol

Thankfully the Light Level cap hasn't been changed so I'm not forced into game-modes chasing the limited Weekly Pinnacles, and so can just play whatever the hell I want in it so that'll be cool.

Anonnermus likes this.
  11. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

It sure seems like crafters are having a ton of fun here.

12. Knightfall

Knightfall Nui Harime lover, Cynic, and Archivist

This is gonna be good.

Derek58, Dapperfox101 and Anonnermus like this.
  13. Jamesson Locke

Jamesson Locke Best Chunnibote

Looks at Actiblizz.
    Graft, corruption, nepotism, executives taking all the money in their bonuses, universities not actually training people for the work, tiddy milk theft ... Take your pick.

doomlord9 and searcher8 like this.
  14. Evillevi

Evillevi Shadow Pika!

Basically the core problem is that bugs are unable to be ironed out in the content creation phase of the game creation.

The above problem in turn is created by having a compressed dev cycle, where you might be still working on features while doing content creation which introduces bugs late into the dev cycle. Rushed long term plans also means that rather then slowly build features between multiple game installments, you make a dev team do more features they they're ready for. And jsut people who scoped in too much stuff then they can handle.

15. rx915

rx915 Experienced.

Tiddy milk? Let me guess, someone took their baby to the company sponsored baby care center and someone nicked their tiddy milk they left there?

16. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

Not quite. First, a lot of lactating mothers who have to work pump their milk so the baby can be bottle-fed using it. If the kiddo was there, she’d have just fed ‘em.

Second, apparently it wasn’t just someone who got her milk stolen. They had to put padlocks on the fridge. And then people removed the padlocks to store beer in the milk fridges.

17. rx915

rx915 Experienced.

It looks like it when they left the baby milk in the fridge for use later only to have it stolen.

18. BeardedMaiar

BeardedMaiar Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Quality of games has def dropped these days. I still remember being hyped for the OG halo games on Xbox as a teenager, these days 99% of games are just poorly optimized advertisements to drain wallets as fast as possible. Not much creative passion left anymore.

19. rx915

rx915 Experienced.

Rakdos92, searcher8 and BeardedMaiar like this.
  20. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Probably doesn't help that there's not much we see as new stuff these days.

First gens and some after had their golden age when many things where new and we were amazed by new games by gameplay we did not try before. Now, nowaday... Same old again and again for most things. So if the devs cannot bother trying for quality, well...

21. Evillevi

Evillevi Shadow Pika!

22. BeardedMaiar

I was really hoping New World was gonna be good, been getting hankerings for a good mmo lately, but nothing for the past few years has really satisfied the cravings. I think it’s more the people that I used to play with more than the actual game is what I miss more though, to be perfectly honest. The new generation has been raised in an environment where being totally awful to people is okay as long as it’s online. Didn’t see as much of that 15-20 years ago, at least in my experience.

23. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

I feel like this is a combination of nostalgia and signal to noise ratio. Shovelware is super-cheap to toss out ad nauseum with fresh coats of paint, and digital distribution means you don’t even have the little costs of putting it on a disc first.
    Again, nostalgia and noise. You get Vampire Survivors, then a week later it’s become a genre filled with P2W junk.

BeardedMaiar likes this.
  24. BeardedMaiar

To a certain extent. I think the one game that stood out to me was Destiny. It’s been one of my favorite games for a long time, but it’s been almost physically painful to see how bad it’s gotten. They went nuts with microtransactions, the story has gotten so janky is honestly comedy at this point, and the amount of technical problems the game has is mind blowing for a live-service game at this point. If you want a laugh, go look for the director guy’s speech at some business seminar about how they were so successful at keeping the game profitable for the last 4 years… It boiled down to “max product, minimum quality”. It’s depressing to see how corporate the industry is becoming, and the quality of available games reflects that for the most part, at least in my experience. Maybe I’m just old and grumpy, idk.

Rakdos92 and Jamesson Locke like this.
  25. Evillevi

Evillevi Shadow Pika!

Honestly I don't think this is true.

Generally I think what is happening is that there's a dilution of attention. Where while last time you have a masterpiece game that everyone had to play because there was nothing else, now you ahve great to masterpiece games to any level of granularity/niche that you want.

This massive amount of niche and great/masterpiece games you can now relatively easily search means that the people you like to play are also going to be diluted as they flock to the games of the niche they like the most.

At the top of my head we have vampire survivors, Cassette Beasts, Elden Ring, and a masterpiece games for every year for the last few years. But all of them are aiming for a specific niche and if you don't like that niche then the game and it's community isn't for you.

Rakdos92 and Amazon Climber like this.
  26. Keldin

Keldin Well worn.

The new God of Wars, Hogwarts Legacy, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Elden Ring of course, Metroid Dread, Psychonauts 2, Monster Hunter Rise, Hades, Doom Eternal2016 was better fite me, HuniePop 2...wait shit no

Creativity-wise Valve dropping Halflife Alyx to showcase VR and it's advancements, Neon White and Hi-Fi Rush's unique take on things etc

Sturgeons Law is still in effect, 99% of anything is crap, but there are undeniably great games that have come out.

27. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Story wise, I will agree on 2016 all day everyday. Gameplay on the other hand, Eternal.

28. rx915

rx915 Experienced.

Looks good for a demo.

Imagine Classic Doom with 40k aesthetics but updated. Maybe Doom Classic remake even but with 40k decals.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    doomlord9, Keldin and Anonnermus like this.
  29. Keldin

Keldin Well worn.

God yeah, my screen was pretty much covered in Red Flags the moment they showed his face and so casually in the opening Cutscene.

They showed his face, he talked in his backstory, he was completely feral before they fixed him, despite being in Hell fighting 24/7 for years or whatever they had to train him because he wasn't "good enough", they gave him special power blood-juice because he was too weak..

It's like they both based him off of Comic book Doomguy and missed the point of him in the first place, actual Doomguy isn't a gibbering mess, his anger is controlled, he's not an "Angry Guy".

He is "A Guy That Is So Angry That Despite Being A Human Ignores All Limits Rips Through Everything Because He Is Just That Angry".

Overall game-wise Doom 2016 was a good game and a good Doom game, Eternal on other hand was a good game but it didn't feel like a Doom game.

The gameplay loop was just too tight for me, it ended up being focusing on the Health>Armor>Ammo cycle and swapping weapons to tactically preserve ammo.

2016 I didn't see targets to chain together, I saw soon-to-be-gibs and other weapons just gave me new ways to make that happen lol

30. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

For me, what did it is that it felt like they were trying too hard to have an epic story. They were trying to make everything too big and too impressive, to say nothing of the DLC doing shit like turning Hayden from this crazy ass but understated mad scientist out to exploit hell into some archangel bullshit.

The story is dumb as hell, which is upsetting because Doom 2016 had a story. Doomguy, for all that he never said a single word had a character that was conveyed clearly by his actions.

Gameplay wise, that's a bit more subjective. I liked how tight Eternal was, you were fast as all hell and super maneuverable once you get all your upgrades together and had powerful weapons out the wazoo. But it wasn't enough to just be strong and fast, you had to think tactically, had to draw off some enemies, avoid others until you could focus them down, had to know their weaknesses, and how to exploit it all to leave a sea of blood behind you.

But different strokes, you know?

Biofan09, Rakdos92, searcher8 and 3 others like this.