1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. aabbcc

aabbcc Well worn.

The gameplay is rock paper scissors. it's grindy rock paper scissors.

The characters? On top of how wooden and stale the dialogue is and the shit plot and the crap VA, the main cast is painfully generic.

2. Deathwings

Deathwings Questionable French Guy

Until you get carriers, at which point it become Nuke-paper-scissors. Tough honestly, I never actually had to grind outside the very beginning of the game. :D

What VA ? There's no voice acting.

3. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

And speaking of paper:

Paper Mario returns in Paper Mario: The Origami King on July 17th.

4. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

... on my screen the title of the video is cut off like this "The Origami Ki..." and my mind went to "Origami Killer"...

5. aabbcc

aabbcc Well worn.

There is for some combat and a couple anime cutscenes. Adult!protagonist is just painfully faking that voice, and the rest go from meh to flat.

6. Deathwings

Oh, right, the combat lines. The audio quality on the DS is so bad I just ignore them, so I didn't even think of them. But really, THAT is a deal breaker for you ? Man, you must have some serious trouble finding any RPG whose story you actually like, because IS's is firmly above average at worst.

7. aabbcc

aabbcc Well worn.

You consider that above average?

It's average at best. Plain story, generic as fuck plot, cardboard characters, shit combat with no depth, boring exploration. There isn't anything in it to make it stand above the pack, and plenty of demerits.

I'll take any generic <whatever> <whatever> <insert_roman_number> over it.

8. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

And on the Sony front, they gave a presentation of Sucker Punch's Ghosts of Tsushima's upcoming killer feature. It isn't the ability to play in black & white like your own personal Kurosawa movie, it is a simple addition:

You can pet the foxes.

They knew and they were networking!

9. Deathwings

Well, first, it's DS game with a 50+ hours storyline that include multiple branching arcs and more characters then freaking Suikoden. So yeah, sure, if you're using current AAA games as a comparison, it's gonna be lacking in term of gimmicks.

Second, the core cast is hardly flat, far as I'm concerned, but at this point I think it's been pretty firmly established that we're just not using the same values to determine that. And even the purely optional characters can get surprising amount of representation pretty far into the story if you actually bother to look and talk to the crew.

As for the plot...I have no fucking clue what you're on, honestly. It use cliche, sure, but cliche are cliche because they work and here they're used well enough. Seriously, putting aside it's from 2009, did you expect something completely original ? Originality is DEAD. All we have nowadays is pile of cliche and the hope that the writer will arrange them in a pleasing fashion, and IS does a good job of it, far as I'm concerned. But hey, if you're that determined to proclaiming I have shit tastes in stories then do go on ahead, knock yourself out. :rolleyes:

And if you don't resort to the cheese option of drowning your enemies under an unending tide of fightercrafts, the combat get plenty deep as the story progress, between juggling finding the proper distance to shoot from for maximum damage and the best way to attack. You say that the gameplay is just rock-paper-scissors, but that's ignoring the Attack Gauge, which introduce an element of timing where you have to decide if you can afford to use a Barrage and still have the time to Dodge the enemies replying in kind or stick to a normal Attack immediately follow by a Dodge for the same Action Point cost.

I can totally get hating the combat system, because it's quite a change from the usual RPG mechanics, but saying it has no depth is fucking stupid. If anything, it get too complex during Act 2 if you don't use the one game breaking strategy to trivialize it.

wayne82444 likes this.
  10. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

I think like raccoons, foxes are realizing that if they play nice with the big pink giants they will get food and protection from predators just like dogs before them.

11. Deathwings

Why does it sound like they're laughing ? That's what foxes sound like ?

...I think I've now fully grasped why foxes tend to be seen as mischievous trickster spirits.

12. aabbcc

aabbcc Well worn.

That, and they can dig under fences and steal poultry/eggs/whatever, so they're sneaky thieves that sound like they're laughing.

Other animals that steal food or things often get tied to trickster spirit myths and the like.

They also dig burrows to sleep in, and are perfectly willing to exploit man-made structures like, say, a house's foundation, much to the surprise of farmers trying to find where the hell the chicken-stealing foxes are hiding.

13. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

Been playing a bunch of Gwent lately and it's so satisfying to set up some card combinations then watch them play out.

I think my favorite is playing Cathomir(?) which lets you spawn a 1-point duplicate of any other card, even Gold Cards which are normally limited to only one, in your hand. I use it with The Beast which gains +2 per your turn as long as it isn't the card with the highest points. But! Since there are now two Beast cards they continually increase in power giving you +4 points each turn. If the opponent can't stop it and you play it early enough in the round it can get pretty silly.

14. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Phantasy star online 2 comes on may 27 on the pc.

15. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

Why am I just now finding out a new Shantae coming out on the 28th?

Rakdos92, Deathwings and Renko like this.
  16. OverReactionGuy

That plant villain is going to get soooo much fanart.

17. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

I'm surprised QQ doesn't have a thread for it since the series is full of cute, lewdable girls.

18. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

For all those mourning how Silent Hill has been reduce to slot and pachinko games, we have good news. It seems some people out there still remember that Silent Hill is a horror game:

Yes, next month Dead by Daylight will be going to Silent Hill with a new map (SH1's Midwitch Elementary), SH3's Cheryl Mason as a Survivor and Pyramid Head in his SH2 glory as the new killer.

Thus proving that Jim Fucking Sterling was right all along. Konami should just drop the video gaming production business and license their IPs to those who not only care about them, but actually know what the fuck they are doing.

Thank GOD for Him!!

19. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Jimmy-boy is like a broken clock, right only twice a day. But yeah, licensing out their IPs is a better idea for the customers than the pachinko matter. Would be an interestening twist of fate if Kojima's studio ends up creating yet another game with the MGS license.

20. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Dude, there is a reason why we don't talk about Metal Gear Survive. Hell, even its own production staff wished they were woking for Kojima Productions and stated so in-game. And after the shit show Contra: Rogue Corps was, Konami acting as a licensing company would be a better move business wise.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Imabot and wayne82444 like this.
  21. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Well, PSO2 is now available on PC. But good luck with the Microsoft Store. -_-

Also, new servers opened up with PC release. I suppose I should watch where the crowd is going.

Imabot likes this.
  22. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Derek58 likes this.
  23. OverReactionGuy

If they figure out how to bypass windows store entirely I'll probably be up to clearing up space for the game on my comp.

-edit-

I believe it's confirmed to be coming to steam in the second quarter or something.

24. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

I heard absolutly nothing about a steam release. It's just wishful thinking right now, last I heard.

25. OverReactionGuy

It appears to have been confirmed though. There were a lot of sites saying steam release confirmed or something because of the manual for the game. Though I guess they could have changed it when it was actually released.

26. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

That link to said manual is now a dead link, was apparently from 3 months ago and we sure hear nothing about it right now.

Also, you know what is the most stupid thing? Apparently, people are realizing a good part of the errors we get now are also in the JP launcher.

For fuck sake, Sega.

At least we got Tweaker team allowing everyone to play now.

27. OverReactionGuy

And this was out 8 years ago!

These guys are taking advantage of the tweaker team fixing this shit for free.

daimahou likes this.
  28. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

It's that stupid, yes.

Anyway, Sega also went out of silence. maybe they'll open the new servers soon? You may want to clean up space for the game just in case. Reddit seems to start calming down from install rage more now.

29. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

I'm playing Sleeping Dogs again and there is something fucking hilarious about a badass like Wei Shen singing Cyndi Lauper's 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' at karaoke.

Imabot and Derek58 like this.
  30. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Dude, if you think that is hilarious, try the karaoke from any of the Yakuza games: