1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

I saw some video, and the gameplay does look very similar.

It looks like BotW with cute animu girls. And a bunch of non-Link traps, which I can also get behind, ifyouknowwhatImean.

Bacon_commando, Imabot and daimahou like this.
  2. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

I haven't checked hiw you get it on PC.I heard it will be Mihoyo personal launcher. But I might be wrong. Maybe check on their home page?

https://genshin.mihoyo.com

3. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

Didn't see anything like that. I'll have to check it out on my computer. Did pre-register.

4. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

BotW was just a generic open world game that happened to be Zelda themed so getting pissy about that is dumb as fuck. Still not gonna check it out cuz free Chinese game is code for "probably spyware." :V

5. Melmar

Eh, it's been a day. It's Nintendo Direct time and this time it's-a that guy, Mario, one.

Tl;dw Super Mario Game & Watch handheld thing
    Switch port of SM3D World
    Super Mario Bros. 35: Strange multiplayer competitive version of Super Mario Bros.
    Mario Kart Home Circuit Live: one of those altered reality(?) games where you race around your house.
    BUY OUR MERCH
    Super Mario All Stars for the Super Nintendo online thingy
    And Super Mario 3D All Stars which is a collection of SM64, Sunshine, and Galaxy 1.

6. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Transplanting a comment I made elsewhere about the recent ubisoft fuckery.

Not wanting to get political here on QQ, but people are generally upset about a Tom Clancy game where you play as government troops, fighting against a subversive political movement called Umbra. (which also looks a lot like the riots current going on in a lot of major american cities, which is all i'll say about that)

People keep bringing up that this is basically exactly the opposite of one of their other main IPs, Watchdogs.
    "Umbra" the villains from their new mobile game, are basically Deadsec, the heroes from one of their mainline IPs.

And... I kinda want to play some sort of crossover game now.

It'd be genuinely interesting to play the opening of a game as Deadsec, rioting in the streets, hacking the whole city and eventually leading up to the firebombing of the blume headquarters in response to yet another CTOS rollout that endangers people's freedom by... I dunno, making it impossibly to move from one district of the city to another without scanning your ID chip or something. Something dystopian and oppressive.

Then you immediately switch to a new player-character. An honest working-man who just got a job as a Blume Security Officer to support his family, and had his workplace firebombed by terrorists on day one.
    Gameplay shifts, stealth and hacking have been replaced by you doing your day-job as a security guard. Trying to prevent these anarchist scumbags from breaking into a server-farm under your protection to safeguard the personal data of Blume's users, all-the-while Deadsec makes a concentrated attempt to murder you and your coworkers with 3D-printed zipguns and IEDs.
    You finally get one of the little bastards in your sights, and then-
    Then you swap back to your Deadsec character as watched that cute hacker-girl he was sweet on get fucking domed by some Blume Rent-a-thug.
    ---------------------------

Nobody thinks that they're a villain, nobody realises that they're fighting for the bad guys.
    When guns come out, people die. And those people have people that care about them.

To the deadsec guy, Blume is a corporation of pure evil. Trapping people in cities that they can't leave, enforcing checkpoints with armed guards and profiling everyone while watching and listening to everything you do.
    Deadsec is a heroic resistance fighting against that, trying to pry off Blume's deathgrip on people's loves.

The security guard can pass through those checkpoints easily because unlike most members of deadsec, he doesn't have a criminal record. Likewise he has never been profiled, because he's a model citizen.
    Because of this, he doesn't have the context to understand their complaints or worries about the 'oppressive system' and thinks that people who don't like it are just upset that they can't get away with being criminals.
    He approves of Blume going Big Brother and monitoring everything you do, because his elderly mother had a stroke whilst home-alone and her Smart-house detected it and alerted the paramedics, which saved her life.
    Meanwhile, his views on deadsec are coloured by his first meetings with them being a firebombing, and the second one involving them shooting at him. As far as he's concerned, they're just terrorists.

Then as the game progresses, Blume-guy comes face to face with how unfair and shitty CTOS's profiling can be, and how some of the security guys that he works with are just scumbag assholes, and the Deadsec guy is forced to acknowledge that deadsec has blown up several buildings, cut power to large sections of the city and committed mass-murder.

The actual conclusion? They're both terrible organisations. Blume's crimes were exposed at the climax and the whole corporation was disbanded by the government, but the deadsec cell is hunted down by an anti-terrorism taskforce and they all go to jail or die in the ensuring raid.

Oh, and just for kicks. The Deadsec player-character is a white twenty-something with rich parents and a university degree in computer technology, who was once arrested for throwing bottles at the police during a protest and now has a criminal record that will follow him everywhere.
    The Blume player-character is a 40yo black dude from a working-class background, with a wife and two kids. He took a pair of two-week courses to qualify as a security guard after robots made his last job obsolete, and he has no criminal record.

Ironically, the only game I can think of that did anything like this was Detroit: Become Human.
    If only that was written by someone competent, and the main fucking theme wasn't "What if black people were robots?"
    Ugh.
    But it is a story-driven game where you can play as characters on both sides of a violent political movement.
    There's even a scenario in which two of your player-characters fight, and one of them can die.

Edit: Themes.

As an older man, the blume guy would be wiser and more experienced, but also more set in his ways and unfamiliar with technology.
    Thus, he realizes exactly how dangerous 'civil unrest' can be, but is ignorant of the real dangers of the CTOS.
    Deadsec guy is younger and full of burning piss, so's more tech-savvy and more aware of what Blume gets up to behind the scenes.
    On the other hand, he's willfully ignorant of the sins of his own group, and how many people are being hurt by his own actions.

Maybe a plotline later on where they both try to infiltrate the other's group.
    Blume guy struggles to pass as a Deadsec operative, because he's too stuffy and out of touch with the kids, and he's trying to fake being a hacker by using a phone loaded with scripts that he just triggers, because he's not tech-savvy enough to write anything himself.
    Big conflicts with the 'Wrench' of the group. The big violent anarchist bomber member of the squad. The one who designed all the guns that they 3dprint.
    Also, his cover story is that he joined Deadsec because a self-driving car ran over his daughter, which is a little...

On the other hand, Deadsec guy blends in as a low-level computer technician almost too well, to the point where he ends up in a room full of people who are sitting around talking about their coworker who was horribly burned to death in the terror attack last month.

They then realise that they're 'scaring' the new guy, and hastily reassure him that they have dozens of armed guards and a three-layer security checkpoint to even get near the building, so this is a perfectly save place to work.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  7. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

I play it. It's fun.

Personally, I like the weird class system, where your starting class gives you three skill-tress, but you can totally just ignore them and equip light armour and a restoration staff, or heavy armour and a greatsword.

I just wish that the guild skill-lines were more useful.
    Undaunted is themed around monster-hunting, but most of their stuff is useless. There are PVP skill-lines, there's a mages guild skill line.

Oh, and ESO supports mods, so grab yourself Minion (a mod-manager) and get mods that add all of those pesky collectables (like skyshards, which means skill-points) to your map.

Only real issue I have with the game is that there's no real Auction-house. You can put your stuff up for sale on your guild's npc-salesman, but that requires you to be in a guild that has a salesman in a major city, and then for someone to walk up to that specific npc and buy your item.

I'd rather just a unified trade-hub that shows everything.

Bacon_commando, daimahou and Rakdos92 like this.
  8. The-Lewd-Dude

The-Lewd-Dude Experienced.

Also TOTALLY not stolen idea from that mario royale fan game they DMCA'd a while back

9. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Talking about this now... I kinda just want a whole game (or a show or something) about an out-of-touch 40-something Straight-laced dude trying to go undercover with the hipster-hackers from Watchdogs 2, but not being able to hide how law-abiding and generally whitebread he is.

Like, Hank from King Of The Hill.

Frank-of-the-hill: "Wait, you just sole money from that lady on the street, why'd you do that? She didn't do anything to you!"
    Sinetra: "Well she had bank-access on her unsecured phone, so..."
    Frank: "So if someone doesn't lock something away throughly enough, you feel obliged to just steal it?"
    "Don't tell me what to do old man, you're not my dad!"
    "No young lady, i'm not your father, because if I was then i'd have raised you better, or atleast spanked you more."

Followed by goofy hijinks as old man Frank casts around the Hackerspace, before spyinga minifridge.
    "Is this... your lunch?"
    "...Yeah, why?
    "Well, I can't help but notice, that you didn't secure it!"
    *Mad scramble to steal food, eventually frank gets away with the food and Sinetra lets him go*
    "Good Lord, what is this?"
    "It's Macaroni and cheese, non-dairy, non-gluten, non-wheat, non-sugar..."
    "Is there anything edible actually left inside this 'meal'? Or is it just a bowl of cardboard?"
    "If you hate it so much, then stop eating it!"
    "No. I'm doing this to teach you a lesson, young lady. Being stolen from doesn't feel nice. If that means I have to spite-eat this putrid bowl of cardboard to show you that, then that's exactly what i'll do. Bleh."

Or a scene where he comes back into the hackerspace the next day, and Sinetra has wrapped a chain and padlock around the fridge, to 'secure' it.

Frank just looks at it and drops his backpack onto the table with a thump, before going into a speel about how all devices are secured, until someone finds a way around that security.
    It's basically an arms-race between people trying to protect their stuff, and people trying to get into that stuff. ("Yes" Wrench sarcastically responds, "that's generally how 'hacking' works.")

"Does that mean that it's fair game to take the things of anyone who falls behind on defending their lunch?" Frank continues.
    And then Frank unzips his bag to reveal a massive set of bolt-cutters.

10. Garlandknight

Garlandknight Happiest Arbites

Not gonna lie, this is comedy gold. You should write that fic, or commission someone to write it. The world needs Responsible Boomer Undercover Agent being the father these hacker kids clearly never had.

Anonnermus likes this.
  11. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Not even an undercover agent. He's a security guard who was pressured into this bullshit by his bosses, which is why he's doing such a shit job of blending in.
    His cover-story is crap, he doesn't have the attitude or the skills to pass himself off as a member of Deadsec and he's too upright to hide his open distaste for their methods.

Meanwhile, the infiltraitor on the other side is being prevented from getting into the server-room to steal the data he needs by 'helpful' coworkers and overly friendly security-guards.
    And also the target for Oblivious Guilt Slinging, as people keep bringing up Dave, who was 'horrifically burned to death' in the firebombing last month.
    "Horrifically, you say?"
    "Oh yes, it was terrible. I mean, I never liked Dave, terrible B.O, but he didn't deserve that."
    Which segues into a talk about how expensive therapy is and whether they should get hazard-pay for working here.

Edit: Funny how this was intended to be a serious bit about how both sides are equally wrong and how even if you think you're fighting for freedom and truth, you might still be killing a bunch of mostly innocent people.

Then it somehow evolved into an absurd Boomer-vs-hipster sitcom.
    Edit2: QQ keeps eating my edits.

12. Garlandknight

The best ideas take on lives of their own. And it can be a story about how both sides are equally wrong, and an absurd boomer-vs-hispter sitcom.

I'll say it again, this is comedy gold. This is gold-plated gold.

Someone really, really needs to write this.

Anonnermus and searcher8 like this.
  13. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

SURPRISE HYRULE WARRIORS 2 REVEAL! SET IN BOTW WORLD, DURING THE WAR.

To be released November 20 this year.

14. Derek58

Derek58 Rocket Punch is Best Punch

I want my fucking Divine Beasts combination Nintendo! :D

Dakkaface likes this.
  15. Melmar

...huh. They're actually gonna cover more the part in BotW where the plot happened. Y'know, BotW Link being a Warriors protagonist in the past does explain how he managed to fight all those Guardians at once before he finally dropped. Guess a hundred year coma really takes it out of you. :V

16. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

MAXIMUM OVERHYPE

Dakkaface likes this.
  17. Deathwings

Deathwings Questionable French Guy

Holy shit.The Warrior paradigm fit fucking perfectly.

Dakkaface likes this.
  18. Bear_Mint

Bear_Mint The LewdBringer. The Breast Observer.

A sequel set in a time period that helps justify the warriors gameplay? Sign me the hell up.

Jiven and Dakkaface like this.
  19. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

Sony hasn't sold me on the PS5. In terms of games or capability. It's certainly not something I will probably buy within the launch window.

20. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Speaking of PS5, let's talk about that supposed backwards compatibility. I have no reason to believe that later editions of the PS5 will continue to include that feature. Mainly because they promised backwards compatibility for the PS3, included that for the first consoles, and then quietly phased it out because it cut into their profits. I fully expect them to try and pull this bullshit again.

21. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Sony's censorship policies have already given me good reason not to support their future consoles so I'm fine sitting this one out for now.

22. Deathwings

Deathwings Questionable French Guy

To say nothing of their smarmy "You'll get a chance of pre-ordering our super awesome new console that we're only making a limited number of" nonsense. Creating an artificial supply limit so as to drive the price up.

23. Melmar

Disgaea 6 trailer time:

>Switch exclusive apparently
    >Make my numbers GROW
    >Hey, we remembered to give the main character a personality this time
    >What is this third dimension?

Gonna go with tentatively hopeful on this one. It already looks more entertaining than D5 at least.

Edit: Also FF16

>Noticeably different aesthetic. The character/weapon designs aren't as fantastical as usual. Well, besides the Dragoon anyway.
    >I smell GoT on you
    >Unless I missed it, they didn't actually drop the MC's name.
    >Did you notice something missing in those battles? Have they abandoned the notion of party combat? It didn't look like bad combat but uh, yeah. That's weird.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Maragas likes this.
  24. Bear_Mint

FF16's gameplay reminds me more of DMC's combat than say something like FF15's combat.

25. Melmar

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Kinda looks like they didn't even bother with having a party this time. MC's casting spells, dodging all over the place, and I'm gonna guess that burning wing thing means he was using Phoenix's power somehow.

26. Bear_Mint

If my interpretation of the trailer is correct. The MC is the Ifrit host and he ended up killing the blonde boy during his rage mode; afterwards claiming the Phoenix power.

daimahou likes this.
  27. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

That's what I was thinking of. The bit fighting monsters in a swamp had me thinking The Witcher first but it was too DMC-ish for that. Not really sold on the whole thing so far, I like my Final Fantasies to be over the top high fantasy stuff and this looks more like Tactics.

28. Melmar

Poked around a bit and there's some speculation that Ryota Suzuki, formerly of Capcom that worked on stuff like DMC5 and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, is the battle director for FF16. If true, that'd explain the DMC vibes we all got.

29. Garlandknight

The aesthetics in the FFXVI trailer aren't really that surprising to me. It looks like a middle ground between FFXV's more grounded and less fantastic designs and the usual medieval-ish Final Fantasy fare. It has more of a FFXIV vibe than anything else, which isn't surprising considering who's the producer.

I don't get all the Witcher comparisons I've seen either, but I suppose that's just Witcher fans seeing a medieval action RPG and jumping around like JoJo fans when they see anything that even slightly reminds them of their favorite franchise.

30. Valikdu

Valikdu Not too sore, are you?

So, um...
    I've heard good things about Crusader Kings 3. Is it worth bying right now?

Previously I've thought I'd just stick with CK2Plus when that's done, but CK3 seems to not be a disaster like Imperator/HoI4