• A notice about Rule 3 regarding sites hosting pirated/unauthorized content has been made. Please see here for details.
  • Staff is working to deal with the problem of synonymous tags. See here for more information and to suggest tag mergers.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.

Video Games General

The fact that several of the giants are conventionally attractive women that happen to have normal-sized soldiers clambering all over them, and are capable of destroying buildings and trampling whole battalions underfoot, and that there's a mechanic that involves said normal-sized soldiers harpooning and restraining them in a semi-Gulliver's Travels sort of way, honestly terrifies me.

Not because I'm scared of giants, I generally like them as a trope, especially if they are actually civilized rather than monsters (see those of DnD that aren't Hill Giants, or Mekone in Dominions 5), but because I know the internet is gonna do some really nasty things with that, and I already try to avoid that Macro Fetish shit like the plague whenever I can.

But that might just be me. I might be thinking way too deeply into this.

Also, "Man Ye The Shell", the theme song of the game by Bear McCreary, is honestly pretty good.
Reminds me of Age of Mythology: TITANS. The Titan Unit being the end game "stomp EVERYTHING" auto-win by conquest route.

Also Planetary Annihilation now that I say that. But Titan Units are much less the end game and merely one step towards ending a round.

just crave more fantasy mixed with Stream/Dieselpunk.
Driftlands.
DDO. Eberron is literally just the Steampunk magitech Setting of DnD and the Artificers are Steampunk engineer mage with their own robot dog.
Iron Danger.
Iron Harvest is primarily Steampunk/Dieselpunk mechs. I also need to get back to Playing that, never finished the campaigns.
Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends.
The Dungeons quadology is all Comedy with the gobbos being Steampunk.
Monster Train is Trainpunk Rogue-like deck builder. I found the Umbra to be the most useful. It has a sequel out.
Airships: Conquer The Skies.
Technically the TITANS Expansion for Age of Mythology counts from the Atlantis faction. One of their early siege units is literally a flamethrower tank.

Need to check my Library...

Being reminded of Remnants of Skystone. A short lived MMO from Kongregate.

just really want my Dieselpunk Ottomans.
Iron Harvest. The 1910+ Setting takes place primarily in an alternate WWI where Tesla did wacky zaney things to the Timeline for shiggles. Now you have power armored Americans, Russians with land battleship, Polish with jury-rigged walking turrets, etc.
 
Last edited:
I just crave more fantasy mixed with Stream/Dieselpunk.

Or "out there" ideas that don't limit themselves to one hat or take themselves too seriously, for the most part.
Lorewise, the Giants are apparently the embodiments of Dreams and Nightmares. Like the Nightmare of Rage, the Dream of Victory, but also rather esoteric ones like the "Dream of the War Effort". Hence why they are apparently giants. They are also implied to have been Human once, with one of them explicitly being called a former officer and another a veteran captain.

At least from what little I could find out.

But overall I need to finish my first game before I could start working on my prefix-ship RTS and worry about solving the naval question. Given how one of the faction's "hat" is naval and have to deal with two other factions with a greater amount of movement freedom.

Airships start weak but can uncover the map early before bombing everyone without a wall of Anti-Air or Air Force.

Landships can unlock amphibious options by mid-game so they can walk into the ocean before floating.

Thus the issue with regular ships is land maps and if they should also be the odd-one-out by being the only non-nomadic faction with less fantastical/mundane units. With every other faction following a similar format or being one of the other two but side-ways.

I just really want my Dieselpunk Ottomans.
If you wanna start small, try to get into modding for Rusted Warfare, a 2D RTS kinda like Total Annihilation or Beyond All Reason, since it gives you a foundation to build onto, and some people did some seriously impressive shit with it by just pulling some tricks to allow for factions when the base game didn't have any, such as making your first "building" not a building at all, but instead a unit that can "build" your faction choice, and then turns into the first building, just one specific to your faction, which in turn builds your specific builder units. Neat tricks like that.

One person made the "Virsenian Glory" mods, which is basically Company of Heroes, but in a self-made setting instead. Another turned it into a Warcraft-style game, and yet another did a really cool Battletech mod that allows you to customize Mech loadouts individually at a specific building. So, if you want to make your own RTS, but lack the skills with 3d modeling, or making a game engine, then start small with pixel art and a 5 Dollar game that is moddable as hell.
 
Last edited:
NTE Thread isn't very popular, so I'll say it here:

This game's story writing is REALLY, REALLY good at PISSING ME OFF.

...And I appreciate that.

I've wanted to reach through my screen and strangle the villain on multiple occasions. The major story bits, with the exception of Shinku's filler episode, have all been pretty dark, involving madness and murder and essentially ritual sacrifice.

Latest one? Witch trials. All the dirty dealing and fear and greed and double-dealing and playacting. All the seven deadly sins represented.

Really, really good writing about things that really pissed me off.
 
Iron Harvest. The 1910+ Setting takes place primarily in an alternate WWI where Tesla did wacky zaney things to the Timeline for shiggles. Now you have power armored Americans, Russians with land battleship, Polish with jury-rigged walking turrets, etc.
But sadly no Dieselpunk Ottomans. Which, unfortunately, is a deal breaker.
 
But sadly no Dieselpunk Ottomans. Which, unfortunately, is a deal breaker.
For that (though it's sadly not been used for a game), there is Leviathan by Scott Westerfield. There, WW1 is between the "Darwinists" who are big into Biopunk and artificially alter living creatures to serve as technology, such as the titular Leviathan airship, which is a Whale, and the "Clankers", who think biotech is an abomination against nature, and instead went really hard into mechanical contraptions.

The Darwinists are the Entente, and the Clankers are the Central Powers, with the Ottomans among them, and they have giant mechanical elephants, alongside more conventional Walkers. Meanwhile, the Germans went so crazy with it they don't just have legged "Land Dreadnoughts", but also seaborne warships with legs, making them amphibious.
 
Last edited:
Personally I prefer thick stompy legs instead of arthropods.
modding for Rusted Warfare
I can only feel disappointment for not doing basic frankenstiening for a proof-of-concept myself.


SUSHIMAKI's Nations series is my favorite and primary inspiration for my hyper-specific unsymmetrical prefix-ship concept. Although another one has to be the upcoming Veil of Ashes.

Overall my current Dream RTS is a combination of various Steam and Dieselpunk for combined-arms warfare with landships. Maybe indirect fodder-control since the focus is on giant multi-terrain warships.
 
For that (though it's sadly not been used for a game), there is Leviathan by Scott Westerfield. There, WW1 is between the "Darwinists" who are big into Biopunk and artificially alter living creatures to serve as technology, such as the titular Leviathan airship, which is a Whale, and the "Clankers", who think biotech is an abomination against nature, and instead went really hard into mechanical contraptions.

The Darwinists are the Entente, and the Clankers are the Central Powers, with the Ottomans among them, and they have giant mechanical elephants, alongside more conventional Walkers. Meanwhile, the Germans went so crazy with it they don't just have legged "Land Dreadnoughts", but also seaborne warships with legs, making them amphibious.
Huh, the elephant reminds me of this one attraction I think is in France? It's meant to be a giant mechanical elephant you can ride inside of as it "walks" around. Also looks like they have giant robot ground sloths.

Personally I prefer thick stompy legs instead of arthropods
There's Rust Out? Or something like that. Been a Decade since ever heard anything about it and 90% sure that's not the Name. MMO vehicle combat arena Game where the vehicles are Player Designed. Very Mad Max in appearance.

There's also Teratech I guess? Don't think they have walkers there though?

There's SAND: Raiders of Sophie that's basically cowboy mech Mad Max Sea of Thieves on Tattooine with fully customizable mechs.
 
Last edited:
Played some Smash Ultimate with my nephew.

It's probably been five years since I last played.

...I can still kick his ass.

And the COMEDY.

"Did I catch that!?"

"Yes you did!" I replied gleefully, which should have warned him that it was in fact a Sticky Bomb that he'd caught.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top