Avernus
Experienced.
- Joined
- May 22, 2020
- Messages
- 3,655
- Likes received
- 44,096
I agree that zalgotext (what I think you are referring to) generally gets irritating when overused. Like a lot of gimmicks it can be cool once but gets old fast.I hate adventurers guilds being in EVERY fantasy story. Same fucking guild receptionist, same ranks, and always some easy copout like 'we don't get involved in kingdom politics' THEN when the MC, an adventurer gets involved in kingdom politics, it's not his fault, because he rescued some Duke/King's daughter on a mission. Man, I want to read a fiction about the Adventurers Guild leader. About how much BULLSHIT he must have to put up with when handling all these egos. Like, so many pre-Madonas amongst this class of people. "Nobles" always get a bad rap because poor people (yes I'm poor too), ahem, because poor people are like crabs in a bucket happy to see those higher up in the bucket suffer. But how many times are adventurers depicted as part time bandits/scum of the earth? Yeah, I could go for a western fantasy without this uninspired slop.
I hate corrupted text. (I think I said this before?) The corrupted text from some eldritch thing. ESPECIALLY those fics that spam it. Once is a mystery, but every other time after that, it's like, dude, you already revealed God is real, should we be surprised the thrid, fourth or fifth time? But the people seem to get off on this ig. Sigh. I hate people.
As for adventurers guilds being everywhere, that's not so. It's endemic to things inspired by Japanese light novels (think they are called that), but outright rare in Western fantasy.
That was one reason why I liked the Salvos books; competition between adventurers guilds (including violent competition) was a major plotline early on. One got the general impression that most Guild politics was fairly similar what you'd see in organized crime.It really is always so uninspired. I'd like to some day see an adventurer's guild dealing with some repercussions, or at least being treated as it is by either nobility and nations, a force that can turn hostile at any moment and become a real threat. Like they're in almost every city for some reason and have consolidated power of thousands of superhumans, yet the king/queen/parliament is just cool with it?
There's a reason PMCs and companies are heavily regulated when forming forces. Like yes, I get monsters and dragons and what not are out there, but some originality would go a long way.
Heck, make it be a competition between other guilds and the adventurer's guilds. Information and crafting guilds might buy more items than the adventurer's guilds thus causing less of a monopoly. Heck, have multiple different adventurer's guilds in different cities all vying for dominance with their own local and regional politics.
I also agree that it's nice to see a focus on other people and guilds than just individuals, including crafters.
As for the government not having control of the adventurers, historically it was quite common for the government to not actually control the majority of the soldiers in their territory. Yes, governments try to keep PMCs under control now, but in the past they often just weren't strong enough. Standing armies are very expensive, and your standard medievalish kingdom is relatively poor.
Everyone moved away from mercenary armies when they could afford it because that's terrible for stability. Both in the sense that the mercenaries might decide to pressure or overthrow the government, decide to take employment with the other side of a war, or just decide they aren't paid enough and loot a city.