• A notice about Rule 3 regarding sites hosting pirated/unauthorized content has been made. Please see here for details.
  • Staff is working to deal with the problem of synonymous tags. See here for more information and to suggest tag mergers.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.

What are your most hated fanfic tropes

What's PHO? I'm not going to bother googling it, because I'm only going to get results for Vietnamese restaurants.
 
A different way trope 4 manifests is that they do give a description of the character but then post an AI image of that which completely ruins whatever image I've built in my mind. And it's usually shit 99% of the time.After the first few times I just learned to ignore that shit completely

Honestly it reminds me how most novels don't actually get into detail how a character looks. They just give us the general vibe of the character.

But for anime novels, you're kinda expected to have character illustrations along with it. And naturally, some of those illustrations won't be good, AI or not.

It's why it took me a long time to find the character design that suits my characters in my story. Pre AI I commissioned artists for it. These days I throw random shit on the AI gen, hoping I'll get a design I like.
 
On character images, I keep falling into the trap of searching for images to inspire how I will describe the character, then I find one I like so much that I have to link it. But then for a different character I can't find any image that matches my imagination, and so I either have to settle for one that's only halfway there, or no image at all (and thus be inconsistent, with some major characters having images and others not).

Beyond that, I don't know how to describe a particular shape of a face, length of nose or jaw, curvature of cheeks and eyes and ears, all those little details that make all the difference in whether a face is beautiful or ugly. An image communicates all of that in a single breath.

A different way trope 4 manifests is that they do give a description of the character but then post an AI image of that which completely ruins whatever image I've built in my mind.

I'm guilty of that in my story. I started out with the desire to not include images, since I couldn't find any on a search that would do my characters justice. But then a friend offered to generate some images using AI, based on descriptions I gave and some porn stars I sent him as a reference. He did a good bit of editing after generation to smooth it out and clean up all the janky artifacts that AI always introduces, and then he posted the images after I was already several threadmarks into the story.
 
i hate "Merchant" fics that doesnt respect money or are unserious/too kind to charge too much. how many fics are there where a guy sells something Unique and he undersells it completely? no mark-up for his Monopoly or his rush-work or anything. or that faux humbleness that he insists he doesnt need too much money or gives away stuff for free. if your story has a Merchant/Economy part of it, then dont cut it by the balls like that -.-
 
i hate "Merchant" fics that doesnt respect money or are unserious/too kind to charge too much. how many fics are there where a guy sells something Unique and he undersells it completely? no mark-up for his Monopoly or his rush-work or anything. or that faux humbleness that he insists he doesnt need too much money or gives away stuff for free. if your story has a Merchant/Economy part of it, then dont cut it by the balls like that -.-
Why sell when you can force the customer into a permanent subscription service and indentured servitude? Are they dumb? :V
 
The Instant family Trope annoys me.

the writer doesn't want to go through the ick pregnancy and rearing a child, so they find some orphan child to adopt, doesn't matter if the character doing the adopting is a teen(as in so many Harry Potter fics where this happens)

ooh cute kid! Adopt! now we can show We're responsible parents! look at our maturity!
 
I do find it weird how people jealously guard their AI generation keywords. Honestly a lot of them don't make sense to me. I read the prompt gens and I'm like "Yup, that's word vomit alright"

I use a lot of different prompts and LoRA, but the prompt is pretty easy to get right-ish. It's the model that's the bottleneck. Want an image of Taylor getting bullied by Emma and Sophia? The model might have problems doing more than 2 people like this...

adc0659d-f600-4d3e-9988-e724b485da27

Doesn't really look like bullying, does it? The prompt follows without the Lora's for art style. Also this Taylor is short...

score_9, score_8_up, score_7_up, extremely detailed, masterpiece, best quality, newest, highres, extremely detailed, amazing quality, cinematic shadows,

The image shows four young women standing in a park, 3 of them bullying the other. The background is slightly blurred, suggesting that the focus of the image is on the women and their actions. One girl has red hair and brown eyes. One girl has dark skin, black hair, and brown eyes. One girl has short brown hair and blue eyes. The girl getting bullied has long black hair, messy hair, and green eyes with glasses. long hair, shirt, long sleeves, blonde hair, brown hair, multiple girls, gloves, jacket, ponytail, pants, coat, 4girls, scarf, hug, denim, jeans, checkered shirt,

You can also add (artist:jakky, artist:aster_crowley, artist:sasha_khmel, artist:shirow_masamune, artist:chiba_toshirou:0.9) for extra artist style. You can write the prompt out as a description of a scene. Again, how well that does is based on the model. Where did the blonde girl come from?


Thread tax: Taylor in Slytherin. Why? A reborn Taylor gets sent to Slytherin because of reasons by the author that never make sense to me. Ravenclaw is right there. Sending Taylor to Ravenclaw makes far more sense than a Muggleborn (they're all Muggleborn) going to Slytherin for drama and reasons.


Edit: I guess I'm blind I just noticed the word blonde in the prompt...
 
Last edited:
Doesn't really look like bullying, does it?

Yeah, if you use open source models, you really can't use "high concept" words like that. The model might understand a bit of natural language but it doesn't understand what bullying means and how to portray it in an image.

GPT Image 2 might do a better job in understanding and drawing that kind of thing but I'm not exactly sure.
 
Thread tax: Taylor in Slytherin. Why? A reborn Taylor gets sent to Slytherin because of reasons by the author that never make sense to me. Ravenclaw is right there. Sending Taylor to Ravenclaw makes far more sense than a Muggleborn (they're all Muggleborn) going to Slytherin for drama and reasons.

Ravenclaw Taylor is just as eggregious. She isn't a "knowledge for knowledge's sake" kind of person. She's almost never the smartest, and certainly not the wisest, person in the room at any one time.

Honestly, though she's more likely to get sorted into Team Red for story reasons, Hufflepuff is pretty much right where she belongs imo.

Thread Tax: Cliffhangers get really fucking stale after 30 chapters ending on a "oooh no." It's a blight upon all web fiction.
 
Ravenclaw Taylor is just as eggregious. She isn't a "knowledge for knowledge's sake" kind of person. She's almost never the smartest, and certainly not the wisest, person in the room at any one time.

Honestly, though she's more likely to get sorted into Team Red for story reasons, Hufflepuff is pretty much right where she belongs imo.
If you see Slytherin as "the house of ambition" and not "the house for the wizard racists" Taylor can fit there surprisingly well IMO. She doesn't make it obvious in her personal narrative but anyone who can take over massive swathes of their hometown as a criminal warlord will be quite ambitious, making them a perfect fit for Slytherin.
 
If you see Slytherin as "the house of ambition" and not "the house for the wizard racists" Taylor can fit there surprisingly well IMO. She doesn't make it obvious in her personal narrative but anyone who can take over massive swathes of their hometown as a criminal warlord will be quite ambitious, making them a perfect fit for Slytherin.

That just depends on when you use her in my opinion. Post extermination, sure I can buy that. It's a bit of a harder sell putting pre-canon/chapter 1 Taylor into Slytherin though.
 
That just depends on when you use her in my opinion. Post extermination, sure I can buy that. It's a bit of a harder sell putting pre-canon/chapter 1 Taylor into Slytherin though.
I mean, even pre-canon Taylor had that potential, and the Sorting Hat is eldritch enough that I can see it peering into Taylor's future, seeing her rise as Skitter, and instantly throwing her into Slytherin based on that.
 
I have some troupes i particularly hate :-

I hate how children are written in some works like a 5 yr boy can say a full sentence , act like an adult my god why can't writers write children like CHILDREN

A great number of works are written with this big reveal or big moment and then the author just ending excuse after excuse to prolong the BIG REVEAL like for example take wistoria the big moment in this work is the two main leads finally being with each other.
Well the author just keeps adding excuse after excuse so we the audience don't get to see that.

Another thing i hate is villains getting redemmed 😭, I don't want to see a guy who torture someone, murder someone getting redemmed four panels later
 
I mean, even pre-canon Taylor had that potential, and the Sorting Hat is eldritch enough that I can see it peering into Taylor's future, seeing her rise as Skitter, and instantly throwing her into Slytherin based on that.

Ehhh, edge cases are usually left up to the individual. See Harry and Hermione. People attribute a lot to the hat? But it never really looks in to the future or anything. It's just a really good judge of character.
 
I wonder if there's ever been a fic where the sorting hat says, "This kid's gonna be a school shooter! Get his ass out of here!"
"This kid's gonna be a school shooter! Slytherin!"

Fixed


Thread Tax. The (ab)use of the onomatopeia. We are not reading a comic, you should say "there was an explosion", not just "BOOM"
 
Last edited:
People writing fanfiction way before or after the canon events is both irritating and bewildering to me. Maybe they have good reasons for that, but I want to read fanfiction specifically because I want to see protagonist directly interacting with characters and influencing the plot I've read about
 
"This kid's gonna be a school shooter! Slytherin!"

Fixed

I dunno, I want to think Slytherin has standards. They'd be the ones bullying the shooter until he snaps.

People writing fanfiction way before or after the canon events is both irritating and bewildering to me. Maybe they have good reasons for that, but I want to read fanfiction specifically because I want to see protagonist directly interacting with characters and influencing the plot I've read about

I'm one of those people who likes to do far-distant prequels and sequels, but that's just me, I have a different take on fanfics where I only want to re-use the same setting without involving the same characters or plot elements. I always feel icky when I try to write using characters that someone else created, like I wouldn't be able to portray them accurately. Instead I go digging for aspects of lore that haven't yet been told in a story, and I use that gap to squirt my creativity into.
 
I hate how children are written in some works like a 5 yr boy can say a full sentence , act like an adult my god why can't writers write children like CHILDREN
People have trouble writing people different than themselves, and children are different. And, I strongly suspect many such writers have had little contact with children since their own childhood, leaving their memory of actual child behavior fuzzy.
 
Isekai fic protagonists only having two reactions to waking up in an entirely new universe, possibly with superpowers:

"Oh, no! The horror! Far-future plot point/antagonist is going to kill meeeeeee!!! I'm going to curl up in a ball and cry myself to death!"

Or

"Oh, damn, this just like 'generic-self-insert-trope-the-readers-don't-care-about-no. 12826479493. I'm gonna be as smug and ironic about everthing as possible so no one thinks less of the author for being an uncreative hack who can't think up a way to execute the tropes in an interesting manner. Also, I have superpowers now. This is in no way an upheaval of my worldview and self-image and I feel absolutely nothing besides the desire to use them in the most boring hashtag "pragmatic" manner possible!"

Like, yo. Where is your humanity? Where is your curiousity and wonder?
 
Last edited:
Isekai fics seem to forget that plans don't survive with contact with enemy quote because somehow all their plans execute flawlessly. Like, somehow the villain runs on a script to make the SI seem smart when reality everyone IQ level just drops.
 
Isekai fics seem to forget that plans don't survive with contact with enemy quote because somehow all their plans execute flawlessly.
That's less an isekai problem than it is with most portrayals of clever planners in fiction.

And a fair number of would-be clever planners in real life, for that matter. Except they don't have an author watching over them to make sure events run on rails for them, so their grand master plan goes off the rails after a few steps. That tends to end poorly.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top