Chapter 1089
Malcolm Tent
Monkey with a typewriter.
- Joined
- Oct 16, 2020
- Messages
- 8,598
- Likes received
- 518,758
The Lady's artifact was not, in fact, in the city. It didn't take me long to get through the town and out the other side, headed beyond the city and out into the planes beyond it. That was the bad news. The GOOD news was the the planes beyond the city weren't as large as expected, and on the other side of them, we found a huge white marble castle.
Obviously, the arrowhead pointed right towards it, and I let out a whoop of excitement when I confirmed the artifact was inside. We headed for the entrance, ready to find and collect the item in question…but ran into a small problem.
As we tried to enter the castle, a pair of huge statues on either side of the entrance came to life, swinging their huge polearms down to smash them into the ground in front of us, blocking our way. From around us, a melodious, high pitched voice began to echo. "Let those who enter with hungry hearts, beware the venom of power's draw. Dismiss not the guardian's arts, lest what's inside digest you raw."
I blinked, looking around for the source. "Um, hello?"
There was no response. "Can I get like…a clarification on that? Because I'll be honest, you weren't super CLEAR. And if you're not going to tell us anything why bother with the warning. Like you might as well not have said anything."
A slight pause reigned, and I was about to try to push on, assuming no one would answer, before a peeved voice said. "Look, rhyming is hard, ok? There's valuable stuff in here, but it's guarded, and you have to pass tests to take it. If you try to steal something is going to eat you. How about that? Clear enough for you, Mr. Critical?"
"Crystal," I said sheepishly. "Sorry. But wait, what do you mean the stuff inside is guarded. And how much stuff? We're here for one item."
"Well there's more," the voice said in an annoyed tone. "You stand before the Hermetic Hall. This hall was previously the fragment of the great god Deveskane, god of restriction, and after his fall ended up here. The Order of Deveskane, in hopes of reviving their fallen lord, began a pilgrimage across the Chaos Chasm, collecting divine artifacts and fragments and placing them within the vaults of the hall."
That made me pause. "How did they move them? Don't you need to be connected to a deity to move their objects of power? Or are they all fragments."
"Some are fragments," the voice admitted. "But the Order possesses a powerful artifact of their own. The Seal of Deveskane. Stamping the seal upon an object will render it inert and harmless, at least temporarily. Once that was accomplished, the items were transported to the Hall, a powerful divine artifact in its own right, built to work in tandem with the Seal."
I whistled. That was actually really impressive. So the Seal suppressed things to a containable state and then the Hall kept them in stasis or something? Unfortunately only someone connected to Deveskane could use it, otherwise I might try to bargain for it. I DID have over a hundred wish scrolls. I shook off the distraction. "Fine, so we need to pass tests?" I asked with a sigh. "Of what? Combat? Cunning?"
The voice snorted. "Do you think the Order cares about your faculty for violence? No, the tests are purely intellectual. Deveskane, as a god of restriction, was a fierce proponent of wisdom and good judgement. To be deemed worthy of removing an artifact from this hall, you must prove your intelligence and character."
I blinked at that. "Huh, that's…almost responsible."
"And what is THAT supposed to mean?" demanded the voice angrily. "Do you look down on Lord Deveskane simply because his story has faded from memory?"
"Not at all," I assured it. "I've just met a lot of gods and they're usually not worried about being responsible. Or reasonable. Or much of anything really, barring things that are actively trying to kill them, and even then it's a toss up."
The voice paused for a moment, then sighed. There was a warping of the air, and a woman appeared in a blur of shifting wind. Pale white skin, bone white hair, silver white eyes. Between the coloring and the blurry legs, I had a strong guess what she was. "You're an Aeriad, right?" I asked casually, having seen plenty variations of spirit being before.
"The correct term," she said sharply. "Is Aurai. Though Aurea is also acceptable. But yes, I am a wind spirit, bound in service to this patch of sky. I act as the first layer of protection for this place. Should you attempt to pass by force, you will learn the error of your ways."
I believed her. The Aurai was an A-ranker, and a STRONG one from what I could tell. We'd ventured far enough into the ring that I was pretty sure S-rankers could no longer be present here. Considering what a Dryad could do with access to their tree at A-rank, I was seriously doubting whether any A-ranker who came through here would be capable of taking this woman down, and I was POSITIVE we couldn't.
"My name is Solomon," I said with a short bow. "This is my companion, Dayna."
She nodded solemnly. "I am Elodie, eldest remaining member of the Order of Deveskane. For twenty millennia have I stood watch over this hallowed Hall, acting as its caretaker and guardian. I bid you welcome, in the name of my lord." Her eyes pinned me in place. "Your earlier claim rings true, I sense many divine auras upon you."
"You can sense auras?" I asked warily.
"I'm an AURAI," she enunciated with a roll of her eyes. "Where do you think that term comes from? Regardless, you are the emissary or perhaps the descendant of a divine being, and as such, you are due a certain amount of respect, hence my formal greeting."
Nodding slowly, I turned to glance past the statues. "I wanted to get a friend of mine over here before attempting the tests, is that allowed?"
"Of course," she nodded. "The rules are as follows: A maximum of ten participants may enter. Once the participants have entered, they may not consult any outside forces. The participants may not leave the premises before the completion of their trial without forfeiting the attempt. One attempt is permitted per person per century. The item in question must be declared before the attempt, and if the item is unknown, the participant must describe its provenance to the best of their ability. Finally, should the participants fall, their possessions may be added to the Hall, provided they are of sufficient value. In order to be retrieved, the trial must be undertaken."
I hummed in concern. "Are you familiar with entities native to a Domain?" I asked hesitantly.
"Domain bound beings may enter, but may not leave the Domain. Domains will be sealed on entry.," she answered immediately.
That took me by surprise, but on further examination I got it. Any building that could bind a divine artifact could bind a C-ranked Domain, and probably anything else shy of a whole world.I nodded my understanding, then turned and walked away. I called out Chloe, Azazel, Dantalion, Piece of Mind, and Wisdom of Solomon. Turning to Chloe, I gave her a sheepish smile. "You think Deanna could help us out? We could use the extra Focus."
I could have brought three more people (Dayna and I taking up two spots), but honestly I just preferred it this way. I'd have been picking just to pick if I did it like that. These were the best possible helpers I could think of for a mental challenge.
Chloe nodded cheerfully, then blinked her eyes. From one moment to the next, everything about her changed, and her sister was left in her place, smiling confidently. I started to explain, but she waved me off. "I'm aware. I have to say, I'm looking forward to this challenge. It's been some time since I had some good old fashioned intellectual stimulation."
Dan chuckled. "I too am looking forward to this. Do we need anyone else for the attempt?"
"I don't think it would matter," I shrugged. "You're all pretty much smarter than me anyway. Except for Piece of Mind. He's about as smart as me, just a bunch of times over."
That got a laugh, but everyone knew it was true. We all headed back over to consult with Elodie. "Alright," I said as we returned. "This is our group. Seven of us is within the rules, right? Like we can all go in?"
She squinted at us. "The auras of these beings is very similar to your own. Fascinating. But yes, you may all enter. Simply remember the rules as stated." Her hand waved casually, and the two huge statues lifted their polearms away, uncovering the entryway into the Hermetic Hall. "Enter, challengers!" she intoned in a booming rumble that reminded me of a storm breaking over a silent forest. Then, with a whoosh of air, she dissolved into a gust of wind and vanished.
"Well that was dramatic," Dayna observed dryly. "Some might even say TOO dramatic."
"Dayna, don't mock the omnipresent A-ranker who lives in the wind," I told her flatly. "It's a poor life choice." I was about to head inside, but I froze, thinking over her last bit of advice. Remember the rules as stated. I cleared my throat. "We're looking for an object of power previously belonging to Felicity, the Lady of Lamentation, goddess of torment. Her aura should be the most recent divine signature on me, and if there are more objects, I just need one that I can access personally."
The air of the archway fizzled, snapping and popping like cold water dropped into boiling oil. Then it rippled, leaving a reflected image that reminded me of nothing so much as looking through a pond that had just had a rock dropped in it. I smiled at the others reassuringly, then remembered I was wearing a mask and none of them could sense me emotions like Callie, so I cleared my throat and said. "Alright everyone, I think we're good. Let's head inside."
Making sure the others were on my heels, I stepped into the rippling reflection, and between one breath and the next, I felt everything around me change. It was hard to quantify HOW it changed, to be fair, it just did. My post D-rank senses were intermingled with my ability to sense Impact, and my grasp on the world went beyond things that I was actively aware of or could categorize. Still, I kept my eyes peeled, watching the shadows of the nearby hallway carefully for a minute or two, and when I confirmed we were safe, I gestured the others forward.
My Domain was, as I'd been told, sealed. I wasn't sure how I even knew that, I could just feel it, like a limb I didn't realize I'd been using had fallen asleep. It was an odd and unsettling sensation.
We walked down a long white hallway, arriving at a large set of double doors. Once we pushed them open we found ourselves standing on a huge floor made of grid squares. As we entered and glanced at the squares. Each of them had a simple image, mostly an animal or shape of a specific color. The squares stayed as they were for about ten seconds…then blinked and went blank.
I frowned, stepping forward onto the nearest square. Nothing happened until I tapped down again with my foot, and then a red image of a badger appeared. I froze. "Shit," I said with a sigh. "It's a matching puzzle." I turned to the others. "Please tell me one of you memorized that?" Dan stepped forward, cracked his neck, then stepped onto the square I was occupying. He bent his knees, rocked his arms back and forth, and jumped about five squares, landing halfway into the room. He jumped once, and the square lit up with the same image. I laughed cheerfully. "Alright, looks like someone did. Let's get started then."
Obviously, the arrowhead pointed right towards it, and I let out a whoop of excitement when I confirmed the artifact was inside. We headed for the entrance, ready to find and collect the item in question…but ran into a small problem.
As we tried to enter the castle, a pair of huge statues on either side of the entrance came to life, swinging their huge polearms down to smash them into the ground in front of us, blocking our way. From around us, a melodious, high pitched voice began to echo. "Let those who enter with hungry hearts, beware the venom of power's draw. Dismiss not the guardian's arts, lest what's inside digest you raw."
I blinked, looking around for the source. "Um, hello?"
There was no response. "Can I get like…a clarification on that? Because I'll be honest, you weren't super CLEAR. And if you're not going to tell us anything why bother with the warning. Like you might as well not have said anything."
A slight pause reigned, and I was about to try to push on, assuming no one would answer, before a peeved voice said. "Look, rhyming is hard, ok? There's valuable stuff in here, but it's guarded, and you have to pass tests to take it. If you try to steal something is going to eat you. How about that? Clear enough for you, Mr. Critical?"
"Crystal," I said sheepishly. "Sorry. But wait, what do you mean the stuff inside is guarded. And how much stuff? We're here for one item."
"Well there's more," the voice said in an annoyed tone. "You stand before the Hermetic Hall. This hall was previously the fragment of the great god Deveskane, god of restriction, and after his fall ended up here. The Order of Deveskane, in hopes of reviving their fallen lord, began a pilgrimage across the Chaos Chasm, collecting divine artifacts and fragments and placing them within the vaults of the hall."
That made me pause. "How did they move them? Don't you need to be connected to a deity to move their objects of power? Or are they all fragments."
"Some are fragments," the voice admitted. "But the Order possesses a powerful artifact of their own. The Seal of Deveskane. Stamping the seal upon an object will render it inert and harmless, at least temporarily. Once that was accomplished, the items were transported to the Hall, a powerful divine artifact in its own right, built to work in tandem with the Seal."
I whistled. That was actually really impressive. So the Seal suppressed things to a containable state and then the Hall kept them in stasis or something? Unfortunately only someone connected to Deveskane could use it, otherwise I might try to bargain for it. I DID have over a hundred wish scrolls. I shook off the distraction. "Fine, so we need to pass tests?" I asked with a sigh. "Of what? Combat? Cunning?"
The voice snorted. "Do you think the Order cares about your faculty for violence? No, the tests are purely intellectual. Deveskane, as a god of restriction, was a fierce proponent of wisdom and good judgement. To be deemed worthy of removing an artifact from this hall, you must prove your intelligence and character."
I blinked at that. "Huh, that's…almost responsible."
"And what is THAT supposed to mean?" demanded the voice angrily. "Do you look down on Lord Deveskane simply because his story has faded from memory?"
"Not at all," I assured it. "I've just met a lot of gods and they're usually not worried about being responsible. Or reasonable. Or much of anything really, barring things that are actively trying to kill them, and even then it's a toss up."
The voice paused for a moment, then sighed. There was a warping of the air, and a woman appeared in a blur of shifting wind. Pale white skin, bone white hair, silver white eyes. Between the coloring and the blurry legs, I had a strong guess what she was. "You're an Aeriad, right?" I asked casually, having seen plenty variations of spirit being before.
"The correct term," she said sharply. "Is Aurai. Though Aurea is also acceptable. But yes, I am a wind spirit, bound in service to this patch of sky. I act as the first layer of protection for this place. Should you attempt to pass by force, you will learn the error of your ways."
I believed her. The Aurai was an A-ranker, and a STRONG one from what I could tell. We'd ventured far enough into the ring that I was pretty sure S-rankers could no longer be present here. Considering what a Dryad could do with access to their tree at A-rank, I was seriously doubting whether any A-ranker who came through here would be capable of taking this woman down, and I was POSITIVE we couldn't.
"My name is Solomon," I said with a short bow. "This is my companion, Dayna."
She nodded solemnly. "I am Elodie, eldest remaining member of the Order of Deveskane. For twenty millennia have I stood watch over this hallowed Hall, acting as its caretaker and guardian. I bid you welcome, in the name of my lord." Her eyes pinned me in place. "Your earlier claim rings true, I sense many divine auras upon you."
"You can sense auras?" I asked warily.
"I'm an AURAI," she enunciated with a roll of her eyes. "Where do you think that term comes from? Regardless, you are the emissary or perhaps the descendant of a divine being, and as such, you are due a certain amount of respect, hence my formal greeting."
Nodding slowly, I turned to glance past the statues. "I wanted to get a friend of mine over here before attempting the tests, is that allowed?"
"Of course," she nodded. "The rules are as follows: A maximum of ten participants may enter. Once the participants have entered, they may not consult any outside forces. The participants may not leave the premises before the completion of their trial without forfeiting the attempt. One attempt is permitted per person per century. The item in question must be declared before the attempt, and if the item is unknown, the participant must describe its provenance to the best of their ability. Finally, should the participants fall, their possessions may be added to the Hall, provided they are of sufficient value. In order to be retrieved, the trial must be undertaken."
I hummed in concern. "Are you familiar with entities native to a Domain?" I asked hesitantly.
"Domain bound beings may enter, but may not leave the Domain. Domains will be sealed on entry.," she answered immediately.
That took me by surprise, but on further examination I got it. Any building that could bind a divine artifact could bind a C-ranked Domain, and probably anything else shy of a whole world.I nodded my understanding, then turned and walked away. I called out Chloe, Azazel, Dantalion, Piece of Mind, and Wisdom of Solomon. Turning to Chloe, I gave her a sheepish smile. "You think Deanna could help us out? We could use the extra Focus."
I could have brought three more people (Dayna and I taking up two spots), but honestly I just preferred it this way. I'd have been picking just to pick if I did it like that. These were the best possible helpers I could think of for a mental challenge.
Chloe nodded cheerfully, then blinked her eyes. From one moment to the next, everything about her changed, and her sister was left in her place, smiling confidently. I started to explain, but she waved me off. "I'm aware. I have to say, I'm looking forward to this challenge. It's been some time since I had some good old fashioned intellectual stimulation."
Dan chuckled. "I too am looking forward to this. Do we need anyone else for the attempt?"
"I don't think it would matter," I shrugged. "You're all pretty much smarter than me anyway. Except for Piece of Mind. He's about as smart as me, just a bunch of times over."
That got a laugh, but everyone knew it was true. We all headed back over to consult with Elodie. "Alright," I said as we returned. "This is our group. Seven of us is within the rules, right? Like we can all go in?"
She squinted at us. "The auras of these beings is very similar to your own. Fascinating. But yes, you may all enter. Simply remember the rules as stated." Her hand waved casually, and the two huge statues lifted their polearms away, uncovering the entryway into the Hermetic Hall. "Enter, challengers!" she intoned in a booming rumble that reminded me of a storm breaking over a silent forest. Then, with a whoosh of air, she dissolved into a gust of wind and vanished.
"Well that was dramatic," Dayna observed dryly. "Some might even say TOO dramatic."
"Dayna, don't mock the omnipresent A-ranker who lives in the wind," I told her flatly. "It's a poor life choice." I was about to head inside, but I froze, thinking over her last bit of advice. Remember the rules as stated. I cleared my throat. "We're looking for an object of power previously belonging to Felicity, the Lady of Lamentation, goddess of torment. Her aura should be the most recent divine signature on me, and if there are more objects, I just need one that I can access personally."
The air of the archway fizzled, snapping and popping like cold water dropped into boiling oil. Then it rippled, leaving a reflected image that reminded me of nothing so much as looking through a pond that had just had a rock dropped in it. I smiled at the others reassuringly, then remembered I was wearing a mask and none of them could sense me emotions like Callie, so I cleared my throat and said. "Alright everyone, I think we're good. Let's head inside."
Making sure the others were on my heels, I stepped into the rippling reflection, and between one breath and the next, I felt everything around me change. It was hard to quantify HOW it changed, to be fair, it just did. My post D-rank senses were intermingled with my ability to sense Impact, and my grasp on the world went beyond things that I was actively aware of or could categorize. Still, I kept my eyes peeled, watching the shadows of the nearby hallway carefully for a minute or two, and when I confirmed we were safe, I gestured the others forward.
My Domain was, as I'd been told, sealed. I wasn't sure how I even knew that, I could just feel it, like a limb I didn't realize I'd been using had fallen asleep. It was an odd and unsettling sensation.
We walked down a long white hallway, arriving at a large set of double doors. Once we pushed them open we found ourselves standing on a huge floor made of grid squares. As we entered and glanced at the squares. Each of them had a simple image, mostly an animal or shape of a specific color. The squares stayed as they were for about ten seconds…then blinked and went blank.
I frowned, stepping forward onto the nearest square. Nothing happened until I tapped down again with my foot, and then a red image of a badger appeared. I froze. "Shit," I said with a sigh. "It's a matching puzzle." I turned to the others. "Please tell me one of you memorized that?" Dan stepped forward, cracked his neck, then stepped onto the square I was occupying. He bent his knees, rocked his arms back and forth, and jumped about five squares, landing halfway into the room. He jumped once, and the square lit up with the same image. I laughed cheerfully. "Alright, looks like someone did. Let's get started then."