1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Kori and Komand'r were made Lanterns before OL met Ragnar, and they were doing Lantern things at the time.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

3. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Is there a reason they didn't hit some place deeper in? If the Reach have mothballed their anti-lantern fleet then it seems like it wouldn't matter if their target was more built up.

moralrelativity likes this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The deeper places may have more ships and advanced tech than this place, so it could be more difficult and chances of failure are higher.

This place is dangerous, but the chances of failure, and thus losing support, are much smaller.

w34v3r, Gazing Eye, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Because it's not just starships that are a danger to them.

It's also Scarab Warriors.

And the deeper in you go, the more Scarab Warriors there likely are.

Senevri, Jaron, w34v3r and 2 others like this.
  6. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

point- if they’ve been preparing their anti-lantern combat techniques for decades/centuries, AND have established doctrine/surviving combat records from the war with the bobbleheads to base newer on, long shot or not commtting the ace in the hole bar extremis would a heck of an unacceptable risk- the Reach are one of the few powers likely to have put the effort into designing countermeasures for that kinda scenario...

granted their countermeasures would -probably- be minmaxed towards countering/knocking out a greenie hosting Ion, but given the demonstrated adaptability of their tech given one of their crews rewired their drive system into a AOE Weapon on the fly, and how bullshit the breadth of capabilities of a scarab warrior are.....

7. Mr Zoat

Actually, no. The Reach have never encountered Ion, and based on the very limited records they've accessed about it have tentatively concluded that it was probably either a very powerful Lantern or a Guardian.

8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Jaime's scarab landed on Earth 4 thousand years ago, so they might have been coming up with anti-lantern weapons and strategies for millenia.

9. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

huh. fair enough!
    well, i guess its better to overestimate an enemy then the inverse XD

Xmaster3000 and Gilhelmi like this.
  10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Of course, the procedures for killing an Entity in a host are pretty much the same as the procedures for killing a very powerful Lantern or Guardian.

11. néocorvinus

néocorvinus Versed in the lewd.

Wait a minute, the Sheeda are dealt with, the Reach are the next arc. Are we reaching the end of the story? I suppose Renegade will deal with Darkseid while Paul is dealing with the Reach, but damn...

Gilhelmi and DAT_NOOB like this.
  12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The Reach will take years/decades in-universe. They'll also eventually visit Earth. When either Paul/the Renegade finds out, they will wreck them.

Gilhelmi, DAT_NOOB and Darko like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Oh, this story will probably continue on for several decades, or at least one decade, before it finishes.

Gilhelmi and DAT_NOOB like this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Yes, the Reach is huge, and L.E.G.I.O.N. hasn't built up anything like enough ships to contest their entire border.

15. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

This is a single battle, an important one as it is the opening battle after a long cold war between Maltus and the Reach, but still a single battle.

Even if the Reach are defeated, there are still plenty of stories left that could be told.

How does Paul's relationship with the Justice League grow?
    Does Jade and Paul get married? Do they have kids?
    Does Paul nudge Earth into getting Starships? Colonies?
    Does Apokilips decide to attack?
    How does the Orange Lantern Core transition from a military organization to a trading/militia organization after the war? Stick with a Sector Lantern system, go with more Lanterns per Sector, or a completely new system that works better with Orange Light?
    Does the War of Light start? Will the Darkest Night fall? Who will wield the White Light of Life? (my money is on Dr. Mist. He already seems to achieved White light enlightenment.)

Most importantly, does Boss Smiley get defeated allowing Earth to finally advance both socially and technologically?

Speaking of captain Chuckles, I have been wondering if he is the reason the attack on the Reach started so suddenly. It is a mighty big coincidence that right after the Sheeda were beaten, the Reachian/Maltus war went live. I thing Mr. Smiles wanted Paul off-world for a while to try and work some devious scheme to slow advancement down again. What's he plotting?

16. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

And there it is.

You know someone should really go tell the Crumbler that his technology is literally the most powerful crap in the universe. It basically tells every single thing it's ever been thrown at except magic to piss off

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  17. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

I am Flora not fauna, Foliage not trees.
    What am I?

The Worst Kind of Shrubbery, Ambush.

18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And this is why you shouldn't massively buff an obscure bit of technology.

For those who didn't know, in the comics Crumbler technology is psychic-tech that only works when it's physically connected to a person's body.

19. Threadmarks: Over Reaching (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

3rd July 2012
    10:53 GMT -5

Gordanians.

Since Dox expressed displeasure at being told things he probably already knows, I don’t point out to him that the heraldry and transponder marks them out as the Unending Conquest clan. The three yellow lines and a white blob emblem that every ship, weapon and adult clan member will have somewhere. The ships are mostly as I remember from the flotilla they sent to the meeting in Youlsi. None of the civilian ships or support ships that accompanied the diplomatic mission, but the general design and the slight headache I get when I focus on them are much the same.

The dreadnaught's new. And very clearly not gordanian in construction.

It.. utterly dwarfs the other ships. It could treat the heavily armoured battleships in the fleet in the way most carriers do their parasite craft. Their fleet is making excellent time to the Reach facility and as far as I can tell it's because that ship is blocking the effects of the FTL jammers. I'm having trouble matching it to anything on file. Most species don't build ships that large, and most of them are civilian ships. In a military setting they're too clumsy; equal tonnage of smaller ships are a better bet in most situations. It… Could be a support ship of some kind; shipbound gordanian clans do generally grow their own food and raise their young on ships, and something that size could have plenty of space…

Fall Before Me!

But that doesn't feel right. This… Feels like a warship. A pure warship.

A squadron of gordanian cruisers accelerate away from their formation, swiftly running down a Reach vessel which had been heading in their direction. They open fire at what a professional navy would consider optimal engagement range, their shots are accurate and disciplined, and one ship that took a hit from the Reach vessel's primary weapon falls back in formation and takes cover behind a ship with fully powered shields. Most gordanian warfleets would struggle for that degree of discipline.

Hm.

It's not gordanian, but I'm not sure whose it is. It's also got the same headache aura that the small-. Relatively small gordanian ships have…

"Any of you recognise that?"

Light-Click Quiet-Cough Rasp gives their antennae a shrug-wiggle. "No. Not the ship or the style or the underlying technology."

Velus shrugs. "It's big."

Brobranbrak doesn't respond, but does continue studying it in detail.

"When you look at it… Do you feel..? Strange?"

Velus smiles awkwardly. "No, no, you're thinking of the khundians. Killing doesn't arouse me. It's more of a… An intellectual satisfaction."

"I didn't mean in a libidinous sense. Like a… Headache? Like there's something… More, than what you're seeing?"

"I don't think I even understand what you're asking. Moving pretty fast, there. How worried are we right now?"

"If it really came to it we could accelerate just as hard. We're not because we don't need to. The gordanians might be racing to get into position to aid the Reach…" But the Reach ships are reforming their formation in a way which suggests that the other interlopers aren't any friendlier than we are. "But that doesn't seem to be what's happening."

"How did they even get here? Are there… Two of you?"

"I've met hundreds of me, but they all came from parallel universes and I've got a way to detect that. But if I can do something, I'm not arrogant enough to assume that no one else can have a similar ability."

All… Right. Given the speed of light and the relative position of the fleets…

Out I go

and back again, ready to take advantage of light speed sensors. FTL ring scans show the gordanian fleet not all that far behind me, and I take advantage of that fact to get some better quality scans in. The gordanians don't change direction, and while something they're doing causes my scan returns to glitch slightly, I'm able to power through it. Slower than light scans in the direction of their sudden appearance…

A giant portal.

I shift further away

for another look, knowing perfectly well that the quality is only going to degrade. That-. There are a lot of different forms of portal, some of which don't need a device at the end point. Even a zeta tube technically doesn't, as long as you don’t mind a degree of imprecision. And I didn't detect any zeta radiation. The other type of portal like that which I'm familiar with is Canis Minor's boom tube. Canis always seemed rather dismissive of warships, but apparently their ships did make use of boom tube generators.

Going the other way

is easier, the focused desires of the Orange Lantern Corps standing out rather obviously. I send the images I recorded to Dox, then wait for a response.

Velus points at the gordanian fleet. "Find anything?"

"Know anything about Apokolips?"

He doesn't respond, his eyes flashing-.

"Oh."

"I can't be completely sure, but I think that's a New God dreadnaught. I'm not 'worried', exactly, but I'm concerned that there's something going on that I don't know about."

Hm.

"Orange Illustres to…" Who's going to be on Earth? Coutara doesn't have the connections yet, the greenies could be dealing with things anywhere else in the Sector. Alan's probably still on the tour. "Dame Carol."

Her face appears almost immediately. "Lord Citrine. What aid can I lend you?"

"Nothing exciting, I'm afraid. Are you anywhere near Canis Minor?"

"The dog rider from Apokolips? No. Do you wish for me to relay a message?"

Transmit.

"I'm sending you the image of a ship. Please ask him if he recognises it."

"You believe it is Apokoliptian?"

"Yes, though if it's not there's still a good chance that he'll recognise it."

"I will begin-. Ah, I have him. One-"

The image vanishes for a moment, then reappears.

"-moment. Hail, warrior!"

"That may not be the best-."

The image shudders and then vanishes.

"That may not be the best approach, because Canis is Apokoliptian and considers violence to be artistic."

The image reappears.

"I should have made my intentions slightly clearer, but he is now restrained and still able to speak with you."

"Thank you. Could you put him on?" Canis's face replaces hers. "Canis."

"Do you need me to return? I was conducting a tour of the most heavily damaged sites to gain inspiration. I had informed Aqualad…"

"No, I just need to know if you recognise this ship. Dame Ferris, if you could..?"

Canis glances away for a moment, then nods.

"Yes. Though this image tells me little. It appears… Older. I have no idea who commands it."

"Thank you. I'll-."

The gordanian and Reach forces begin firing at one another.

"I'll let you know how it goes."

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  20. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Oh, hi, Actually Grayven.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'things'

Ah, the big grey guy is here.

'ship is'

'falls back'

either add 'no' or 'a way'

maybe 'is not'

maybe remove 'like'

'focused'

'then reappears'

'he is now'

Did he try to attack her?

22. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

What makes you think that?

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The God-Speech shown in this chapter, the Apokaliptian tech.

Also if this Grayven is like his Earth 50 counterpart then he conquered a bunch of Gordanians and is using them as his army.

24. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Oh no!

Now that they being fired at each other, who knows what will happen!?

What if they start knot de-escalatoring these situation!?

//Lol

25. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Paul's mystic senses are pinging again.

26. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

"The 'Actually' is important I think." ;)

27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.
    Thank you, corrected.

28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

"Oh, shit, there goes the planet system." Oh, this is not good. Now who do we know who has Gordanians in proximity to Reach territory? ...It's Grayven! Real Grayven-16, not our dear Renegade.

Yep, definitely Grayven's lot. Not unexpected, honestly, Grayven did play a role in the affairs of L.E.G.I.O.N while Kyle Rayner was involved with them, yes? A reminder: Grayven (DC Wikia).

Clearly compensating for something. Most likely feelings of inadequacy as a rather lame-duck god of Conquest. No doubt bristling with weaponry of all sizes, from point-defense lasers to a full-length main beam weapon.

And OL can feel that narrative aura of Godspeech, I see. Not cleanly, that's nothing new, but he's picking up on it...

So, moving as if someone else were in charge. And not just at the command level, but at the individual ships' scale. I bet someone's mico-managing!

I eagerly await the day when OL hears Godspeech clearly for the first time... It'll mean he's broken through to a whole new level of interaction.

:rolleyes: Yes, Lantern Velus, we can all see that. How about something that is actually more insightful?

Phrasing!

Man, if only he knew someone who can pick up on things like that... Oh, wait... Time to phone a friend, methinks?

I love how he thinks of that. And how he sounds as if that's a thought more horrifying than getting in the middle of two separate, non-friendly armies.

Time to abuse physics for thinking time!

I wonder, could he break a hostile Godspeech narrative by pushing through it? He's certainly resisting its' arcane disruption well enough to get scan data...

A Macro-scale Boom Tube? No, he'd recognize that, surely. I presume it's actually a giant Hush Tube, then.

...How have you not made the obvious connection yet? Clearly it's using New Genisisian or Apokalyptian tech...

And Dox is probably going "What the fuck is this shit? Anyone recognise this?"

Ah, he does suspect. Now to do some fact-checking, eh?

Yes, 'oh.' For the record, Apokalips beat back the early Green Lanterns by using Fear-based counter-attacks and defences. And then strong-armed the Guardians into a non-aggression pact based on that beat-down... So 'oh.' sums it up about right. And top marks for accessing your Ring database rather than have it explained to you.

And now he gets the idea to call a New God, huh? Avarice Enlightenment, folks. Great for direct focus, not so good for sudden swerves, huh?

...What about Ghia'ta? Off-world? Or does she know not to answer his calls, because shit gets crazy when she does?

She sounds almost insulted, doesn't she? Don't tell her she was the last option...

Very quick of her. After all, Canis is Apokaliptian... And why else would OL want to talk to him? Only surprised that he didn't Greedport over to Canis to ask in person, but I guess he has a responsibility to remain on-site.

One quick scan and transition...

Oh, god, he's going to go, "Let's you and me fight!" Isn't he?

Yep. I'm suddenly reminded of Agent Coulson talking to Black Widow on the phone during the Avengers movie. Listening to the sounds of violence like it's hold muzak...

:oops: ...Please don't let him be turned on... :rolleyes: Oh, who am I kidding! Of course he is!

...Though hopefully his arousal isn't because of Dame Carol...

Maybe have him boom tube on site long enough to taste the Godspeech? After clearing it with Dox, though...

Great... And now I'm reminded of Sengoku Musou 1, when Date Masamune shows up during your story battles...

Well, this is a pickle. Do the NEMO forces join the fight and try to swamp both forces, or let them fight it out at the cost of showing off their stuff? Why did Grayven-16 pick right now to take action? Did he have warning of the NEMO action or is it just coincidence? I'm sure we'll find out soon enough!

A little Godspeech!

It's been a while, is that actually how she spells her first name?

29. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So Grayven shows up at the exact moment the Corps and the Reach clash? That's not suspicious AT ALL!!!

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This clan of Gordanians did show up on that diplomatic meeting and asked about Reach planets that they may claim, so it's not all that surprising that they'd show up.