1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's Apokaliptian, what did you expect?

Unless he didn't collapse and is just being blocked by Grayven.

I think future him in the April Fools episode mentioned that he's no longer the only enlightened Lantern in his Corps.

New Gods seem to like to get their hands dirty.

During the British takeover episode the Spider, an assassin renegade hired and healed, basically told renegade that Apokaliptians seem to like to get into fights even when it wasn't really practical or necessary for them to do it.

2. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Any Commander that doesn't see decisive action is needed in this situation...

Dox better be dead, fired or relegated to backline duties.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He could just be blocked by Grayven.

moralrelativity likes this.
  4. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

Hopefully everyone remembers that this version of Vril Dox II has a history of:

Abused and used by his Father/Creator => Abused and used by the Dominators => Randomly became the head of L.E.G.I.O.N (Stellar Navy and Orange Lantern Corp).

This could very well be his first ever combat situation (aside from escaping the Dominator prison). 12th level intellect or not, millions of simulations or not. This is (may be?) his first time in actual battle.

5. DAT_NOOB

Then why can OL talk to his subordinates?

Maybe but given how he handled himself in the prison break I'd hope he was more competent.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Because Grayven may just be blocking any communications that OL is trying to make that extend beyond the part of space they are in, but leaving him the ability to talk to those closest to him.

Ardy and moralrelativity like this.
  7. frommerman

frommerman Getting out there.

Or, as the New God of Conquest, he may be doing something to sow confusion in the ranks of his enemies by cutting off their ability to communicate with their leadership.

8. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

If communications were cut off, I would expect Dox to just sit around and twiddle his thumbs. Blocked communications are an insurmountable obstacle, after all.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm expecting him trying to figure out how to reestablish communications, maybe with the help of the mages, if this is because of Grayven's powers.

10. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

OL is the Cake Guy not the Pie Guy Darko.

Oh he's awake. It's just that he was so busy being a boss that he forgot to recharge his ring before the attack and he now can't find his charger anywhere. It happens ;)

That dastardly Apokoliptian keeps jumping ahead and killstealing!

Well... OL is hanging out with Angelika isn't he.

11. MagnumForce

MagnumForce Making the rounds.

That, and the simulations probably didnt include 'suddenly New God', which would be even more distressing.

12. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

... to you... It doesn't seem right to you. I get that. But remember English isn't standard across the world and one of the language's greatest strengths is that lack of a central authority... It might not sound right but the meaning gets through.

Edit: I meant to add that I agree with you, it doesn't sound right to me either.

Fellow likes this.
  13. DAT_NOOB

But OL spoke with the Fleet didn't he?
    That makes more sense but wouldn't OL and the ship captains also count as leadership?

14. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

I’m assuming Dox is either dead or incapacitated through some exotic New God-means, either through a direct attack by whoever is leading the Gordanians (probably Grayven-16), or by some countermeasure that he triggered when trying to scan/collect information about them. Him folding under the pressures of actual battle seems out of character for someone as in control/dispassionate as him, as does being so laser-focused on something else that he’d ignore his duties as commander. And I don’t think it’s just that his communication is being blocked - Paul was still able to communicate with the rest of the fleet, not just the other lanterns, and Dox, with his huge, throbbing brain, would likely have found some sort of workaround for that.

15. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

I'm with Darko on this one. Adding a 'willing to' after 'more' or since this is the orange light, 'eager to' would sound better.

Darko and moralrelativity like this.
  16. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

That song was so very orange lantern that without the Nazi paraphernalia I would have assumed it to be an obscure song about something else.

Can see why the song applies to this situation.

Dox clearly got fucked when he tried to learn what the fuck was going on, or by Grayven using his divine portfolio to fuck with the commander of the NEMO/LEGION force (and Dox has no oomph to defend himself from such an attack), but little did Grayven know that the second in command is orders of magnitude stronger in the metaphysical sence than the actual leader and now his efforts and constant Godspeech tantrums and demands for attention are being ignored by OL, and thanks to the Renegade we know being ignored weakens Grayven by a fair deal.

Vorian, Gantradies, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  17. DAT_NOOB

Worse OL is actively mocking him, by singing in his face.

18. Agent Orange

But shouldn't Grayven know this already? He had a chance to see OLC Illustres pull a construct fleet out of his ass on that war effort conference. If he knows anything about Lanterns he knows that Paul lifts.

19. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, Grayven targeting the enemy commander with his Conqueror's mojo seems the most likely reason.

20. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

His envoy did, but I get what you are saying.

However, knowing Paul is powerful isn't the same as being ignored after a powerful display like that. Is like watching a guy lift a ton of weight then purposefully sitting in the bench next to him to lift a similar amount only for the guy to get up and completely ignore you.

21. Agent Orange

Grayven will not accept being ignored like that. There's really only one way to resolve this issue and it isn't 'who can sink more Reach ships'. It's one big, widely televised Cake Off competition.

22. DAT_NOOB

Hopefully with singing.

23. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

Darko, try reading it as "Hopefully they'll be more do-it-on-their-own-initiative in- ... -future.", as I'm pretty sure that's what Mr Zoat is going for. The hyphenated part is to be treated as a single unit. If you were to replace it with something like "independent" or "self-motivating", to use another hyphenated construction, and it works, then the sentence as a whole works. That said, I would personally have written it with the hyphens for clarity's sake, but I'm not the author, so it's not my call.

24. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yes, you're correct. I think I was looking at the wrong part of the sentence.

25. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I'm pretty sure the song predates the Nazis (although my low-effort attempt to find out quickly just lead me to an article on Cabaret), they just claimed it very loudly, same as the swastika, and probably other things.

moralrelativity and Chaoswind like this.
  26. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Guessing he tried to fight a Soul War with a New God. And it went about as expected.

Think there should be a ‘to’ between achieve and manifest.

Gantradies and moralrelativity like this.
  27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Some guy (PortionoftheCure) who tattooed the OLC symbol on his hand as a tribute to this story accidentally just posted on the archive thread.

28. PortionoftheCure

PortionoftheCure Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Yeah my bad long time reader and haven't payed attention to this site format

29. PortionoftheCure

PortionoftheCure Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

30. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

PortionoftheCure, you know what you-.
    Whut?