1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

\
    Guess that means it's time to destroy that universe...

2. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

May I sig this, please?
    ^-^
    Ooh, we got more evil juice Paul. I am sure nothing bad will happen to Artemis.

3. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

I feel the alternates are being used to show us what we whine for, only twisted. Or are being used as hints. Im not so much examining what was said, but why Zoat wrote it. I've always been more interested in behind the scenes and watching things with directors commentary. I like knowing why a decision was made and i'm more interested in discovering why choices are made a certain way. I'm trying to figure out why showing us this now, was important.

Vorian, zeebza, DrThoth and 3 others like this.
  4. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Me.

moralrelativity likes this.
  5. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Yeah, no not a fan of that. I posted without knowledge of where this was headed.

6. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Tang is, I assume, from tangerine (a shade of orange).

Cuchulin, RichardWhereat and Darko like this.
  7. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

I guess that's happens because he is more alternate in his way of thinking that other Pauls. As in even before getting the Serum he tended to think in selfish ways and cost benefits. And he didn't mind losing his sense of touch since he could fake it with his ring.

This evil Paul was... too stupid besides a perfectionist. Since you have to he a dumbass to think animal testing is enough to test things on yourself. And he also blindly trust his ring to not screw him over.

When even the Sibarite is smarter, you know you goofed.

Cuchulin, zeebza, Chaoswind and 2 others like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah I can see that.

Tangseid is basically what we get if we want a more ruthless and controlling version of paragon, because a lot of us, hell even me at one point, wanted that kind of version.

Him being evil wasn't on demand though.

9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I wouldn't say this Paul was particularly more stupid then any of the others. It's just that he didn't have the dues ex machina protection the others enjoy that protect them from the downsides of their stupid decisions.

For example those tattoos Paragon had carved onto his soul? Canonically they have the serious downside of killing a being if they ever go to Hell.

zeebza likes this.
  10. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

Tang is an orange coloured powdered drink mix brand. Alternatively, tangerines are fruit with orange peels. Either way, put it together with Darkseid (because this version of Paul is a sick monster like Big D, but orange) and you get Tangseid.

11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He's Tangseid because he's benevolent tyranny. Mr Zoat wrote that this means he is permanently robbing Darkseid of potential power, and the New God of Tyranny doesn't like that. Although he's aware of Tangseid, he hasn't done anything about him yet.

12. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Tangseid origin history is finally canonized. His first appearance was after fhe cross over episode that had all the Pauls fighting the guy that watched the origin of the universe and caused entropy.

Apparently slowly sauntered towards evil after a super soldier evil potion made him evil (going to guess his weak arcane presence/soul is what is makes the process slow, otherwise the effects of the evil potion would be more readily apparent).

This is unlikely to be relevant for a while IE the next cross over episode happpens.

zeebza likes this.
  13. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Sugar, spice and everything EVIL!
    The sample was glowing green and if he held if without a ring he would've heard maniacal cackling and gigglesnorts. Sounds like some obscure DC take on Erskine's super soldier serum. Paul turned himself into Red Skull (just ya know, Orange).

Do we know why he was so desparate for a power up? He had a lantern right? That's why he could afford to mind rape (and then literally rape) everyone and their dog.

zeebza likes this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The serum could have been purely chemical and not alchemical, kinda like the serum the Red Skull took that increased his sociopathic tendencies.

zeebza likes this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may have been worried that he could lose his ring or run out of charge during a fight and become helpless, so wanted to give himself some upgrades.

zeebza likes this.
  16. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Dr Jekyll's formula, or a derivative thereof, showed up in Seven Soldiers: Bulleteer. It was green.

It's what supposedly turned Sally Sonic into such a psycho. You know, ignoring the years of abuse that could legitimately break someone without such excuses.

Either the formula was altered or they got lucky.

The actual Hyde showed up in Xombi. He looked like a furry ogre who survived Jekyll's death like something out of Immortal Hulk.

17. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

!Want Shinies!, I think. This Paul looks like he's been searching for a power-up for a long time. Maybe it started as a curiosity, but his ring pushed his unenlightened desires towards obsession. And once he had the serum, and he couldn't find anything wrong with it using a power ring, why not?

What could possibly go wrong?

Vorian, Cuchulin, zeebza and 2 others like this.
  18. Agent Orange

Why is it that all of cinematic Hydes look like Hulks recently? Wasn't he smaller than Jekyll in the book? I don't remember anything about him turning into a Hulk.

Vorian, Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Yes, smaller than Jekyll, but in the book Hyde was growing bigger.

So there is an excuse for that in stories that take place after Jekyll's death in the book like in Xombi or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Stories that have people immediately hulk out after taking the formula, that's probably cultural osmosis from the Hulk, I figure.

Or maybe just a case of a visual medium. "Oh no, he's turned into a tiny evil person! The horror! The horror!" doesn't play as well as "Oh no, he's turned into an evil ogre of a man! The horror! The horror!"

20. Agent Orange

I guess that shows that using a mind affecting drug while wearing a mind affecting piece of jewellery is less than wise. Who would've thunk. Lesson learned I guess.

Now I have to wonder if Deathly Hallows would've been more interesting if Harry had more than one horcrux on his person.

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. BlueMangoAdea

Looks like he took some precautions, but problem with mind alteration is that once your mind has been altered to want different things, why would the new you want to go back? Additionally, you can't force your future changed self back to present baseline with an orange power ring, because your current desire-set would be non-existent by the time your future altered-self's changes are detected by the power ring.

Cuchulin, zeebza and Prince Charon like this.
  22. Agent Orange

You can preprogram rings to execute commands. It doesn't take a superhuman planning ability to add 'and revert me to baseline/previous benchmark. Ignore any commands to the contrary.'

Stsword, was this serum actually called Hyde serum? And was the inventor actually called Jekyll? In universe that is? I know Paul has Oh Shiny! problem at this point of story but you'd think knowing the name and backstory behind the superserum would be enough of a hint even for Paul. I mean this early on he still had enough left over genre savvy to act like an actual person which includes basic trope awareness right? It was only post-Ophidian that he went native.

Cuchulin, zeebza and Prince Charon like this.
  23. BlueMangoAdea

Do preprograms even work if the current user doesn't want it to work? I mean, all actions by power rings require the emotion for it, don't they?

zeebza likes this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may not know about the name or backstory of this serum, but just found it somewhere and tested it on some animals before using it on himself.

25. Agent Orange

Considering that he didn't suffocate while still unconscious at the beginning of the story I'd say that at least some functions don't require user to feel anything in particular. Also, how do you think rings look for new users after the current one croaks.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    zeebza likes this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Good point, though he may be able to overpower some of the rings functions if he wants it enough.

Just a theory.

moralrelativity and Agent Orange like this.
  27. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Well, didn't he improve on them?

moralrelativity likes this.
  28. Wheenesss

Wheenesss Versed in the lewd.

I reserve judgement on this Paul until we see more of him. He probably IS going to be evil, but I don’t believe Tangseid was in a version of Earth 16 like Paragon, Renegade, Common Sense and Eros. So this is likely a brand new Paul.

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

In addition to having a female Superman clone, they also had something that looked like their version of the Metro Tower from the DCAU. Also, this is the Paul that deleted Wonder Woman's soul and replaced it with one more agreeable to his desires. We last saw him about to rewrite the personality of a hero who realized what Tangseid had done. He has already taken over the Justice League and ensured there will be no war on Earth by strategically controlling key individuals. How can you not call him evil?

moralrelativity and zeebza like this.
  30. Agent Orange

He ain't evil, he's just written that way ;)