1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Oh hey, looks like it is a False Flag Operation.

Whiteeyes likes this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It may be something Zoat made up that the Reach use as an insult.

3. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The GLC has robots in its ranks like Stel.

One of the canon (to the comics) feats of the scarab is absorbing energy.

These super-rings don't run out of charge.

So how dangerous should a beetle who can go up to 11 thanks to having an infinite power source to play with be?

The Manhunter Laurel Kent was able to use the Glow to give herself Kryptonian superpowers- flight, invulnerability, heat vision, superstrength.

Cuchulin, Xmaster3000 and CTrees like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat is there any chance that this can be replaced with a picture that works for everyone? I'm not sure why it isn't working for me.

6. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

'wrangler' doesn't suggest someone who's fucked things up though, does it?

I really want to see a deep-cover mission into the Reach core and society, the snippets of the history we've gotten seem quite interesting. Could maybe be a narratively and strategically relevant chance for Paragon and Jade to work together in a mission that requires both their skillsets.

7. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Contexually, it's being used in the same meaning as if he was being called a 'cowboy'.

8. Mr Zoat

Not really. It's a whole article.
    'Writ-wrangler', literally 'someone who things that holy writ is up for negotiation'.

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think that should say: 'strategic acumen who believed he could threaten'.

Chojin Patriarch and Xmaster3000 like this.
  10. Mr Zoat

I don't think so. I suppose it might be clearer if it has a 'which' after 'force', but it works as is.

11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, I've been re-reading a few other episodes, and I noticed that John Quinn is being referred to as Lord Fate instead of Doctor Fate. Is that his superhero name? I suppose he would want to distance himself a bit from Nabu by having a slightly different name.

Whiteeyes and Xmaster3000 like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Nabu was called that at least once.

If I remember correctly it was Sephtian who called him Lord Fate, or maybe Lord Nabu during the Oceanus episode.

Bramble Thorn and Xmaster3000 like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

It was either a mistake on the character's part, a reasonable alternative given that he's a Lord of Order, or a mistake on my part. Whichever takes least work.

14. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

I mean, a Green Ring mostly adds a whole heck of a lot of utility. Without a chance to reformat the Scarabs weaponry, on the other hand, it definitely isn't as helpful: If the Scarab had a chance, it could switch all its weaponry to massive-power weapons and use the ring for smaller-scale stuff.

Cuchulin, PDV and Xmaster3000 like this.
  15. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yuuuup. Had a feeling that would be how this went.

Would it be Chekhov's ring or Murphy's ring?

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm not sure how much - if any - it's possible to just use the direct ring summoning methods or whatever - an honor guard lantern should be able to summon a ring off of a newbie, regardless of the technical knowledge so...
    I'm modestly confused as to how it's even possible for a green ring to be without those sort of safeties, if the design of many of the safeties is green light wide so...
    (And of course, it's only a single charge, presumably)
    I wonder how well desire manipulation works on scarabs...

Prince Charon and Xmaster3000 like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It may be because this Honour Guard Lantern isn't so good at the more esoteric powers her ring offers.

The ring was apparently a prototype so it lacked some features such as safeties.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  18. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

LeeROOOOY JENKIINSSS!

Xmaster3000, BR549 and Cuchulin like this.
  19. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

I wish Dox was here, so that we saw yellow get the one-letter treatment for once.

Rings may not add much offense, but they are a whole lot better at covering passive defense so the Scarab can spend its effort and focus on going all-out.

I'd tend to read it as "barracks lawyer", someone who's reinterpreting their orders very creatively. And "off-mode", so not in a way that most Reachers would understand.

Whiteeyes likes this.
  20. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Trying to assimilate the Scarab Lantern seems like the first tactic Paragon will use, since like others have said it could at least trigger the Scarab's self-destruct.

How much progress have the Controllers made in their studies to possibly reverse orange assimilation or at least permanently destroy constructs so (presumably) their souls are free to move on? I suppose easily reversible assimilation isn't really necessary to the story since Paragon can just brand people (can other Lanterns brand people? I forget if we've seen any examples).

How many Construct Lanterns does Paragon have at the moment? He's lost Teekl (who I'm missing all over again since I recently reread earlier portions of the story) and the Praexis Demons, but I don't remember the current statuses of the Hellwraith and the Saremite. He definitely still has Morrow, who now that I think of it might be well-served being relocated to Maltus, both to study him and to use his expertise in some way, especially with magitech ships being a burgeoning thing for NEMO.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I know that Xor managed to usurp some people Paul branded, so it's possible.

They're still around.

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  22. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

OhEl has the most practice fighting against GLS, this should be fast.

Prince Charon likes this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

On one hand, most of his combat experience against Green Lanterns comes from practice fights, which can be very different from actual fights since the ones practicing may not be using their full power and are not trying to kill or seriously injure the other guy.

This is not a practice fight.

On the other hand, this Scarab Warrior just got the ring so chances are most assuredly high that they have very little skill on wielding it.

Though if the Reach has wanted the ring then they may have actually managed to train said Scarab Warrior in how to wield it even before he got it.

Ngamer11 and Cuchulin like this.
  24. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Didn't he beat GLs in non practice fights? That's how he got his first extra ring.

Cuchulin likes this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Good point, though I think it was just one fight, and I'm not sure if Steward was fighting at full capacity due to being mind controlled.

26. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Scarabs are mind controlled and if anything GLs power rings should have anti Scarab firmware.

But then again Zoat is the one writing this story so who knows?

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There is the possibility that this Scarab Warrior is actually a loyal Reachian who is not being mind controlled, like Black Beetle.

And it was mentioned that the ring lacks safeguards.

28. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

How in the bloody Nine Hells did the Guardians not issue updates to the rings when not only the Reach want their tech but power rings have already been copied?

If they can shut down the rings remotely so they can update them remotely.

And even if they can't do a remote shut down here, they can still block access to that ring lantern.

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This ring was apparently a prototype of some kind, so the safeguards weren't added to it.

30. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

It should still have a remote shutdown considering one of their biggest screw ups before the rings was AI going crazy.

Is a good thing GLs are not important part of my story or I would have an engineer lecture the greenies for days on correct safety measures.

Cuchulin likes this.