1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

compass -> encompass ???? maybe. I've never seen compass used like that before but I think I get what you're trying for.

2. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I think Mr Zoat is using "compass" to mean something like "direct" or "chart".

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

While not covered in any depth in the comics, the few images we see show Alignment naval personnel in something that looks like a dress uniform while on ships, rather than space suits.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.

4. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Just another example of how scary Lanterns are to most civilizations with no direct counter to them, especially when not holding back.

Also its just not economical to send fleets after a few lanterns most of the time.

5. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Are you sure you're not making OLs too overpowered? Because nothing that Paul can do is fundamentally unreachable for other OLs, especially if given a few decades. The only things OL has that makes him special is an orange infused soul (can be done with magitech), very quickly obtained orange enlightenment (which can be gotten over a normal amount of time with proper instruction) and an apparently strong drive to reach his end goals (but not unnaturally or impossibly strong for an OL).

Vaermina likes this.
  6. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Experienced power ring users are OP, news at 11.

7. Ancalador

Ancalador Know what you're doing yet?

I feel I should point out the time one of the Green Lanterns made a construct large enough to cover the entirety of Earth and was strong enough that Superman could use it to drag the planet into a new orbit. Or was it back into obit? Either way.

8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Found a broken picture.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  9. Mr Zoat

The Alignment are a regional power with no super tech. Experienced Lanterns are supposed to be able to deal with them.

10. deccan2008

deccan2008 Getting out there.

OL uses construct hands now? The Greenies were right all along!

Bramble Thorn, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And he has the audacity to make fun of them!

The hypocrite.

12. Mors

Mors Making the rounds.

Lanterns are apex exotic offense/defense/utility. Especially for colours not governed by the Guardians (less malware on the rings). Galactic superpowers, who can make the Guardians sit up and take a bit of notice, can deal with them. Everybody else... (Of course, this does not include mad scientists and supervillains.)

Street gangs have no chance against national-level agencies, if I had to go for an IRL comparison.

13. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

To be fair, this is what guerilla tactics are for. While you're not entirely wrong, Lanterns and glow manipulation technology will always have drawbacks and weaknesses. If that wasn't true, Truggs would never have gotten ahold of Paul's ring at all. Opposition to overwhelming force is mostly a matter of creativity and how willing you are to part with your ethics.

14. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

I'm honestly disappointed that OL didn't call out, "Bigby's Crushing Hand." I know it's not necessary, but the early days when he still called his attacks were endearing.

15. Mr Zoat

I've played one game of D&D ever. I was a fighter.

16. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I've never played D&D but i'd make that joke just for the Lulz.

17. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Not strictly wrong, if you're analogizing it to dog food, but the typical term is "greeble."

I don't think "detachment" is considered a mass noun in British English? So that would mean it should be "emerges".

But it's not Bigby's hand, it's Paul's.

18. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Bigby's Expressive Central Digit.

19. Mr Zoat

Kibble.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Who the heck is Bigby?

20. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

In DnD lore, Bigby is the wizard responsible for making a bunch of force spells based on the shape of his hands performing actions.

21. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

[insert obvious jokes here]

Prince Charon, Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

How? I thought D&D magic involved performing the random series of actions which trigger the Weave to cause an outcome. How does a person 'make' spells in that sort of system?

23. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Ask Harkell Harpell or more seriously Wizard's like Bigby and Tasha work out how to do something cool/useful which others copy.

Prince Charon and Vorian like this.
  24. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Gold, time, spellcraft checks, saving throws, fetchquests for proper components and materials, bargains and divination from magical beings with better perception or knowledge of the Weave, and finally GM approval.
    It's just as accurate to say that for every intended effect there exists some discoverable trigger which causes the Weave to enact it. Spellcraft research is the attempt to hone in on it, just as the spellcraft skill is to identify and perform it.
    Which is why most research wizards end up with a theme. Once you stumble upon the random motion for "shaped like what my hand is doing right now but giant and made of force", you've got something workable to base a carrer off of.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  25. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Were these ... connectionless Constructs?
    Using his recent link to the desires of others in order to reach through from his desires, to their desires, to produce a construct or filament from the point where another person is feeling avarice?

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

I think Bigby is from the Greyhawk series originally?

Also, only the forgotten realms has the weave, when the various standard spells work not just there, but also in settings like dragonlance, greyhawk, dark sun, etc. With the implication that the weave is a is basically a divine version of the chinese firewalling the internet to keep the populate from using it against the rulers.

27. Mr Zoat

No, I just didn't specifically mention it.

28. Threadmarks: Onslaught (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

22nd August 2012
    16:44 GMT

I finish reading the missive, then raise my eyebrows as I look up at Onigar.

"Genuine?"

"The bodies of quite a few members of the government are hanging from the walls of the State Security headquarters." She nods. "My father is still on the planet, and his contacts have confirmed as much of this as they can."

"Surprisingly quick." I nod. "Which means this is more a palace coup than a sudden outbreak of revolutionary zeal. Someone in the old guard thinks they can survive while keeping the old system going if they dump enough of their old colleagues over the side."

"That was my conclusion. Fortunately, I have a tireless advocate of justice to call upon." There's a very brief flash of uncertainty. "I assume that I do have him to call on?"

"I wish you and Lantern Xor every happiness together?"

"That's-. Thank you, but that isn't what I meant. The Orange Lantern Corps is fighting a war. With the majority of the fighting here over, I assume that you will want Xalitan to travel to Maltus."

"How does he feel about it?"

"He feels intensely obliged to you. He would go, if you asked. And… I've read the files on his ring about the Reach. They are.. worse than the Alignment has ever been."

"That's objectively true. But it's long been my belief that the orange light is extremely subjective. If this is where he wants to be, it would be churlish of me to try and insist that he leave."

"He doesn't see it that way. He sees you as his superior officer."

"Well then… Consider that the war with the Reach won't last forever. Eventually, over the bodies of many comrades, we will pull the whole edifice down." I shrug. "Then what?"

"You will have to rebuild."

"Rebuild what? The Reach? With an army of Lanterns whose greatest desire is to destroy them?"

"The.. people they enslaved?"

"If there are any left, but I doubt that most Lanterns will have the visceral attachment to them. The Reach don't maintain slave populations. We won't have to go far into Reach space before we stop finding other species. I imagine that we'll have fixed all that we can well before the Reach finally collapses."

I shake my head.

"I imagine that most Orange Lanterns will want to quit. To go and return to their recaptured worlds and try to have a life. Some might keep their rings, but they're not going to want to live under military discipline. So how will that work? That's one of the things I want Lantern Xor to work out in advance."

"Xalitan would happily live under military discipline his entire life."

"He doesn't need to tell any of the others that."

"What's.. wrong with the Green Lanterns' Sector system?"

"Nothing, if you're a Green Lantern. Maybe nothing if you're Orange. We don't know yet. I'd like to have Lantern Xor doing this sort of work so that we've got a worked example to draw on. When we get to that stage I'm probably going to send a few Lanterns this way for retraining, but otherwise, unless the Reach get to the point where they're actually pushing onto Maltus itself I'd rather that Lantern Xor stay here."

She nods. "Thank you."

"Serving your interests serves my interests, which is how this should work. Though going back to your revised government structure…"

"Yes?"

"There's a country called 'Russia' on my world that went through a couple of traumatic government changes during the last century. And whether it had a monarch, a communist dictatorship or a representative democracy, the fundamental character of the place remained much the same. People are going to try going back to the old way of doing things."

She nods. "And Xalitan will stop them, until eventually they learn not to."

I nod. "Good show. The L.E.G.I.O.N. fleet is lurking nearby just in case you need them, but it's probably best if this remains an internal matter."

"I agree, but thank you for your foresight." She walks over to the view screen showing the work being done to bring the captured ships back into working order. Xor's doing the lion's share of the heavy lifting; the revolution hasn't captured any space docks yet and so their engineers are mostly limited to internal repairs. "Do you think… Returning in warships sends the right message?"

"'We took these guys with little effort, how lucky do you feel?' Yes, I think that's an excellent message. I mean, don't try and govern from one…"

"But people need to know that we are strong enough to maintain order until things are settled."

"Just so." I nod. "Have Lantern Xor send me a message if you need me for anything."

I raise my right hand to my forehead,

step out

22nd August 2012
    11:47 GMT -5

and reappear-.

There's a crackle, a small explosion, and a billow of decidedly toxic smoke.

"Thaddeus?"

"Heh." Thaddeus Sivana Junior kicks a smouldering box under his work bench. "However did that get there?"

"Are you really that bored?"

"No, I'm not… Bored. Merely… Undirected." He kicks whatever that was, and there's a loud crackle! "Agh!"

He hops backwards a pace, clutching his right leg, as Georgia pokes her head around the door.

"Paul! Are you looking for Father?"

"Not specifically."

"Good." She walks into the room. "Because he and Mother are… On a date."

"So they're..? Getting on?"

Staying on one leg, Thaddeus Junior takes a spray can of some sort out of a wall-mounted box and sprays his injured leg. He then cautiously puts his foot back on the ground before returning the can to the box.

"Yes."

"And how do you… Both.. feel about that?"

"I… Guess it's good."

Georgia ducks her head, glancing aside. Thaddeus turns to her with a frown.

"What?"

"If neither of you are busy?" They both look at me. "How would you like to visit Maltus?"

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat, you forgot to threadmark the chapter.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ahh, how cute.

They both have a thing for justice.

'happily'

Though they didn't have a Lantern telling them no.

Yep.

A bored Sivana or an undirected one.

I can't decide which is worse.

Ahh, Paul, bringing two mad scientists on a trip to a high tech planet.

When will you learn.