1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I'm reasonably confident that it's still a valid usage for someone from the 17th century.

2. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

...... I don't think he'll take the news that God has bailed on heaven quite well.
    But I do think a man like him won't lose his cool even were he were to be seated at a table with the damned.
    His ring/nature should stop any unnecessary rampages from happening.

3. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Marvollo winding up as an ally would fit Paragon's MO lol.

Gilhelmi, Bud-E, ChestBurster and 6 others like this.
  4. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

Well. They're certainly getting along swimmingly.

w34v3r and moralrelativity like this.
  5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Though hardly simple or undecorated, no doubt. Still, good to see him not flaunting rank here. I guess having taken some time to reflect, his anger has cooled off a lot. So, we're not looking at a punitive expedition...

Well, when someone as... Potent as you goes a-travelling, those in his path naturally feel some concern...

Surprised that comes as a surprise. The term Illustres does convey a measure of rank and command. And one as well-read as Malvolio presumably was would have heard of the usage in later Roman times.

The thought that he might be unique amongst those who wield Will? I suppose after this long, he has some desire for peers.

Probably a good idea to keep mum about the White Entity, after all. Since most of Earth's uniqueness stems from that.

Yes, definitely looking for more men like himself. Brothers in the Green Light who share the same gifts and burdens.

Probably a measure of confusion at the concept of a secret identity. Since such things - concealing the identity of an executioner, for example - would have rare in his Earthly days.

Well, at least you have someone to ask about it now. Imagine the things you could learn about history, if only as anecdotal stories, from someone who was there...

So sometime in 1649, going by that. Yes, quite a bit has changed in that time. I hope OL isn't going to...

...Ah. Please, OL, try to contain your urge to exposit. You can discuss history later.

Heh, even Malvolio's not that interested in English history. Still, I suppose he might be curious as to the fate of some of those he knew back in the day. And a good way to frame the Cape Culture to someone not used to the modern age.

"They come in blue, too? Are there ones for all the colours of the rainbow, then?" Surprised Malvolio didn't comment about that. Though unless OL was popping up images of each Lantern, I doubt names alone will mean much.

Admittedly, she's not from this Earth, but I suspect dropping 'Oh, there's multiple universes' on him might be a bit much.

:D Yes, you'd think there was something atypical about Earth, wouldn't you? Imagine, having four serving Green Lanterns all at once. On one planet! Even if his ring had a severely truncated database (as Alan's did) he'd surely have heard about the two-per-sector rule...

Indeed he is. Not quite the exact same manner of near-elemental as Malvolio, but he does have the ear (and Heart) of an Embodiment of Light... Though I wonder if Malvolio knows of such things... And now I wonder how Ion would get along with Malvolio.

A necessity to keep at the same eye-level, eh? Since Malvolio is quite the big guy.

Ah, so it is a friendly visit. Presumably the fleet accompanying him is an honour guard of sorts. Not that he needs it, but a man of his rank, well...

Ah. So the Orange Lanterns might find themselves evicted if the new Abbot of the temple hosting them bears a grudge over his predecessor's retirement. That could be awkward.

Not quite as advanced, I think. But then, he is only a century old, and spent less time with the Green Light. Still, given the healing nature of Blue Light use, he's going to have plenty of time to see what happens.

Science has come a long way since your time, Malvolio. Especially the sciences of magic.

Not quite as long and storied a trip as the Divine Comedy, but yes, you might say that.

A measure of Uncanny Valley at seeing a normal person of such size, eh? Given that sizes beyond six feet tend to have quirks of proportion, I can see it. On the other hand, OL is familiar with more exotic humanoid forms, so it's not going to creep him out much.

Ah, sharing stories. Quite the pleasant pastime of Malvolio's day, eh? Might want to let Lantern Dul know all is well so far, though?

Okay, that went much better than expected. Once OL lets everyone know Malvolio's not here to make trouble, I expect things will be a bit calmer. Perhaps he can even be persuaded to visit Maltus one day, so Hinon can look over his enhancements. But that's for the future, methinks. At this point, though, this sounds like a good chance for a time-skip and a cutaway back to Renegade or another alternate.

6. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

I love the whole 'peacful resolution' thing going on here, it's nice and enjoyable.

Paul and Marv, just a pair of bro's shootin' the breeze.

Can't wait for the local greenie to get ideas and fuck it up because the guardians don't like the idea of a Green/Orange 'Alliance'/Friendship. :V

7. Whiteeyes

Whiteeyes Non Breeding Bunny

Honestly OL, he's from an era where wars were fought on the regular about HOW you worshipped the same God in the same faith, let alone in other faiths, let alone other Gods. I do not see the discussion of your views on Heaven going over well.

8. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

"So you're saying the position is currently vacant? ...Iiinteresting."

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or Paul will fuck this up himself.

Or Malvolio has alternative motives for coming here and is now just acting friendly.

Whiteeyes, Caerwen, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This is Paul.

Showing off is a pretty big characteristic.

To be fair I don't think a lot of people are.

I think most know things like Shakespeare, Victoria and Churchill, but aside from that nothing.

Or they may be thanked since they exposed a very deep corruption.

In places like Atlantis maybe, but I doubt Malvolio went there, and the magic on the surface world may not have advanced all that much.

Funny thing, the Divine Comedy is basically a self insert story.

A guy goes on an adventure and meets his heroes and a bunch of people he hates.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  11. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

I imagine that the local GL is screaming internally as Paul sits down for a nice tea with the scary uber lantern.

Also the guardians are screaming internally at the thought of those two co-operating.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  12. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

IIRC, it's widely believed by scholars that the origin of the story was Dante fantasizing about people being put where he thought they belonged, and then he decided to show others (the story being so well-known would greatly please him for that reason, methinks). So, both a Bible fanfic and a revenge fic.

Vorian, Whiteeyes, kerleth and 8 others like this.
  13. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

That would be B, as A is Jordan which he already knows and Stewart is both secret and B everywhere else

Whiteeyes and Otto von Saurion like this.
  14. Pez

Pez Spaceman

You could probably flip a coin to determine if it's Paul or the Guardians that cause the problem.

15. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

Jordan was also made an Honor Guard Lantern alongside Guy, right? So he is no longer 'assigned' to Sector 2814 and his designation would no longer follow that naming convention. A should be John now, with B being Anya.

16. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

A thing that seems interesting to me is that this guy says "our people" when talking about humans, so he sees a degree of kinship to them

17. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Well, he is human. From Earth, no less. It was a long time ago, but there's still a history there.

18. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Well, let's just find one and ask!

Whiteeyes and Michael Vonica like this.
  19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Half human who grew up on Earth. What his father was has never been revealed.

Priest had the intention of having him form a team of Freedom Fighters with him, Ray, Black Condor, Phantom Lady, the Hawks (Hawkman and woman, or Hawkman and girl? He didn't elaborate), Starman, and Arion of Atlantis.

DC passed on the idea.

20. Deadring

Deadring Screee!

Humanity, in works of fiction, often is shown as a state of mind rather than a state of being.

We have yet to see if reality will follow suit, but I would like to believe that it shall.

Whiteeyes likes this.
  21. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

Paul and Malvolio being friends is not a direction I expected this story to take, but I'm loving it.

Whiteeyes, kerleth and Cuchulin like this.
  22. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Both from Britain, no less!

Cuchulin and Whiteeyes like this.
  23. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

Maybe, but I like to think it would mean that he would be at least agreeable to human-like people.

Cuchulin and Whiteeyes like this.
  24. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

It would be nice if such a state of affairs would continue, but for some reason I have a few doubts about that.

Vorian, Whiteeyes and kerleth like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Britain didn't exist until 1707. Malvolio came from the Kingdom of England.

26. Threadmarks: A Waltz in Orange and Green (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

10th September 2012
    09:05 GMT

"…to people. Assess the mood of the place. This would be a frustrating time for them to turn on us."

"Yes, lord." Sinthia nods, then turns away to get in touch with whatever contacts she has amongst the Citizenry's citizens.

Gone? Good. I find myself relaxing a little. With the various factions of Vega awkwardly co-existing with as little contact with possible it's been possible for me to perform flying visits by hush tube to reassure my allies that I'm me and that this is just a scheme to avoid further bloodshed. Myand'r got Blake to check me over, but he seemed willing to go along with it. The Tamaranean navy did… Okay. Frankly, it's not yet big enough to have a large impact separate from the Orange Lantern Corps, but Dox wasn't complaining and that's practically a ringing endorsement.

I can feel how much less happy with me Tamaran is. They are more willing to bleed for victory than not bleed for a negotiated settlement. I understand and to a degree sympathise, but it's a foolish impulse. I hope that we'll be able to drum that mindset out of the fleet at least.

The Citizenry doesn't really have guards, but some soldiers make a point of getting out of my way as I walk towards the doors to what used to be Astarte's quarters. The door opens as I reach my destination, and I spend a moment watching over Donna and Diana's shoulders as the giant silver snake on the wall monitor eats its way through yet another population.

I bite down my initial thought, and toss a noise-canceller down as the door closes.

"Progress?"

Diana remains entranced by the spectacle, but Donna turns to me. She's clearly not taking this well. I'm-.

I'm…

I don't really know what I am. But becoming half Apokoliptian in fact hasn't made me more sensitive to slaughter.

"Why did they..? Do any of this?"

"How would I know?"

She's clearly not happy about that. "I thought you had the other Grayven's memories."

"Yes, but he only made contact with Astarte a decade or so ago. And they only started fighting alongside one another a little over a year ago. Grayven-. He's old, but the galaxy is a big place. And the memories I got don't really have a common point of reference so I can't even tell you how old." I nod at the monitor. "Look, I get it's horrific, but there's nothing much to be gained at this juncture by watching all of the worlds they murdered get murdered. Are any of them suitable for habitation in the short term?"

"They are all heavily picketed." Diana shakes her head, her eyes remaining transfixed on the screen. "And I doubt that the Green Lantern Corps would be willing to leave the Citizenry their spacecraft."

"I can use the Orrery to create new small rocky worlds in Vega, but they wouldn't really be liveable for a while. Even if we use cold guns to speed up the solidification process, you've still got the atmosphere... Or rather, they wouldn't. Or soil."

I shrug.

"Hinon… Controller Hinon had another option."

"If it is better than the nothing I have, I will hear it."

"The Controllers are fighting the Reach. They're a pretty evil empire on the other side of the galaxy. The Controllers can always use more ships and soldiers, and they're willing to build a planet for the Citizenry if they agree to provide both. The Reach are who Grayven was fighting before he heard about me, so the Citizenry are already familiar with them."

"That would mean encouraging their warlike ways."

"Yes. This is what ruling somewhere that isn't an isolated island in the Aegean is like. This is what it means to leave your enemies alive. You will be constantly choosing between things you don't really want to do. Learn to enjoy it, or else you'll be miserable for a very long time."

Diana turns off the screen and then turns around to face me.

"I never expected to rule Themyscira. And now that I must rule a people I find I am unprepared for it."

I shrug.

"Technically, I can help with that. But you'd need to pledge yourself to me for me to be able to share my insight, and I don't think that's desirable. Of course, you… Could ask Queen Hippolyta to handle it. It's not like Themyscira really needs her."

"When things are more settled I will be discussing the situation with her at length. Including your suggestion that we simply wipe my aunt's memory."

"Do you have any plans for your cousin?"

"We are currently weaning her off all of the chemicals they were using to allow her to fight at our level. I do not even know if she will survive."

"Knockout managed to knock some sense into Persuader. You could just hand Theana over to me. She won't enjoy it much and I doubt that she'll reform, but I'll make sure that she's better directed and controlled."

"I believe that she.. can be made whole."

"Oh, I do too. I'm just not sure that spending all the time that would be required to do that on a single individual while the future of the Citizenry is in your hands is efficient." My eyes dip as I shake my head. "I didn't mean for that to sound like I'm enjoying your discomfort. It's just-."

She nods. "These are the decisions that a person must make when they are a ruler."

"Or not make them, and bear the responsibility for the outcome with none of the control. Alright, time for me to get checked out by Scott again. Donna, do you want a lift back to Earth?"

"No, I'm-. I'm going to stay. College will still be there in a year, and I-. You're right. I'm going to take some of that responsibility."

"Welcome to godhood. The hours are constant and the work is hard, but after a while you feel like a round peg finally being slotted into a round hole. Mother Box, hush tube."

"Ping."

I step out into the all too familiar New God diagnosis room in Scott's basement. Barda's gone back into mid-level hostile from the barely catty level we had managed to achieve, while Scott…

"Grayven. Sit down." "I'll never believe that people shouldn't have freedom, but maybe in your case you should exercise it a little less."

I sit down.

"So how badly have I messed up this time?" "I can no more defy my nature than you can."

"It's not how badly you messed up, it's how badly you're messed up."

"Ping."

He glances down at his Mother Box and nods.

"It's definitely the Omega Force. Have you actually tried using it?"

"No, I'm not that stupid." "I don't like unmaking things."

Barda regards Scott with a stony face. "How is that possible? Darkseid absorbed the Omega Force to become Darkseid."

"I don't know. How does it feel?"

I shrug. "It doesn't feel like anything much. Though whether that's because I have so many memories of it being there that it doesn't feel strange, or because it's not as active as Life Equals Pain I don't know."

He shakes his head. "That doesn't sound right."

No. It doesn't. "Or it's because it conflicts less with my nature. Eliminating my enemies is perfectly in tune with Conquest where being miserable all the time isn't. Any idea how we can store it outside of me?"

"Why not just get the ponies to shoot it again?"

"Just keeping my options open. This isn't crippling me and I might need it."

"I…" He shrugs. "I don't know how to do that, and I think if Himon did then he'd have said something by now."

"So we can't do it?"

"So we'll have to ask Metron."

Oh bother.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  27. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I think it's more likely to be the Guardians. We'll see soon enough.

Whiteeyes likes this.
  28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Some godspeech:

29. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

New line, probably not deliberate.

30. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

I was thinking of some Ponies to New God parallels (as one does) and Celestia= Darkseid and Sunset=Metron jumped out at me.
    Lol.