1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

The other Inversions are demons who hang around Atrocitus because of all of the suffering he will inflict. They're not exactly deep in any canon.

2. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Wait, they’re really demons? Huh. I though they were just alien magic-users that became dictators (only some of whom were genocidal). Figured they’d be equals who’d used terrible rituals to enhance themselves, hence why they survived crucifixion.

Whatever then… DC writers are weird.

mastermenthe and Doccer like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hell, I think Atrocitus was also originally intended to be a demon before they changed him into an alien that looks something like a stereotypical depiction of a demon.

4. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Popcorn

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Technology and or bloodmagic.

In fact, in the actual comics if you drain a ring completely of it's charge you can just recharge it from another "Light" and it would work as if it were a ring of that color.

Cockus Blockamus and Doccer like this.
  6. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Yeah. IIRC Atrociticus being one of the Inversions was a shoehorned-in retcon; he's the one who doesn't really fit.

Doccer likes this.
  7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I believe the original depiction the Oans made the Central Power Battery out of "solidified psychic power." Which of course begs the question, how are the rings technological at all if they are made out of solidified psychic power that the Guardians made without the assistance of any actual technology?

Then a Flash storyline revealed that rings and lanterns are made out of Oarum. Maybe the other way around. Ditto yellow rings made out of a substance mined on Qward, named Qwardite.

Fighting Dr Polaris who has magnetic powers, he actually made Kyle punch himself because Kyle's ring was apparently a magnetic substance, which implies the Oarum origin. Why would a psychic crystal be magnetic?

So as is often the case with DC it's a matter of which canon you like.

The red rings were made out blood thanks to magic.

The Star Sapphire rings were made from the crystal that grew out of hawkman/girl's skeleton.

Indigo rings were made out of an underground river of compassion.

Black and white rings were made whole cloth by cosmic entities.

8. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Crazier and crazier.
    These square rings make a circle.

ChestBurster likes this.
  9. Threadmarks: A Waltz in Orange and Green (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

10th September 2012
    18:31 GMT

"-ue."

Green fire billows in the void, swelling into the shapeOf a fortified gate, heavy wood with iron reinforcement.

"Alright, heads up guys. Chief asshole incoming."

The other Green Lanterns turn away from the barrier, forming shield constructs.

"Guy, he punched Jordan through a planet."

Guy and Apros form multi-layered construct armour around themselves while the other two spread out into flanking positions.

"You feel like helpin' out, that's great."

"I feel like slapping you upside the head, you… Dummy."

Which if you're from 'Baldamore', serves both as a term of endearment and an insult. Which from Guy's smile, he knows that I know.

"Ayo, you do care."

"I'll try to make sure that you don't die if you agree to do the same."

"Hand on heart: I'll make sure I don't die too."

Which is actually what I want him to say.

"Illustres out."

Another surge of green flame and the door is thrown open. Something… I can't quite make sense of the flash of… Something beyond the door, but I see it clearly when Lord Malvolio storms out, the green fire surrounding the door appearing to stick to him.

"What scurrilous yaldson dares to intrude upon mine domain?"

Technically inaccurate, though I doubt that Guy would complain, true or false.

"To arms!"

And I immediately detect the closest fleets turn in our direction, while those a little further away change direction-. They're getting in position to intercept if the local Green Lanterns flee.

I fly towards Malvolio-. Is he going to have ring communications? I remember that Alan did, but that it had all sorts of technical problems. Try it; it's not like I can shout from here.

"Illustres to Lord Malvolio. Please respond."

I talked about it with Alan once, what it was like to try flying long distance in space without an AI. Apparently he and Doctor Knight went to the moon once, but when the two of them discussed the astrophysics of the system they both decided against trying to fly to Mars. No AI meant he'd have to rely on a construct telescope to see the object he was flying towards. No AI meant no speedometer. He could accelerate far harder than any rocket ship but FTL was a struggle requiring him to bend space manually with a full understanding of exactly what he was doing to spacetime. Essentially, he decided that it wasn't worth it.

Malvolio clearly has no such problem. Though I don't know where the door came from.

"Illustres to-."

He looks directly at me, and I raise my right hand in an awkward wave, slowing my travel as I do so.

"The manner of your leave-taking left a little to be desired."

"Sorry, but I felt that getting here ahead of you gave me the best chance of preventing bloodshed."

"And how fare you?"

"I haven't necessarily been entirely successful. But if you could give me a little more time-"

The door doesn't fade so much as get sucked into his flaming aura.

"-I'm reasonably hopeful that I can talk them down."

"Have they made aught progress in their maleficent designs?"

"Not as far as I could see."

"Then we shall see if my steel fares better than your honey."

The glow intensifies and he's gone, flying towards Guy at extremely fast sublight speed.

No. No. No…

"Illustres to Gardner. Look, you can probably get out before he reaches you if you make an effort."

"He know how to block Crumbler shots?"

"Ah, I haven't told him, but I can't guarantee-."

"This is th' job, Paul. Stand back and watch us kick his ass. Or you can always say-"

I watch him generate a minigun construct just big enough for crumbler ammunition.

"-you told me so."

Guy strikes a pose and opens fire, my ring tracking the trajectory of his shots. Malvolio sends forth a gout of green flame, causing the sophisticated anti-construct rounds to be destroyed without activating.

"Ah, sh-."

The ring communication cuts out as the fight takes all of his attention.

Apros is hanging back a little, his preferred avenue of attack being telepathy. Neither Malvolio nor his constructs seem perturbed, but Apros is able to space swim around Malvolio's burning beams.

Oh, for goodness' sake.

I don't want to attack either party. I want this to stop, preferably before anyone-

Having trained with me, Guy's much better at dodging Lord Malvolio's punches than Jordan was. He's having trouble, though. He should really have disengaged by now; that's standard protocol for Lanterns fighting super strong opponents.

-dies. What should I do?

Malvolio manages a glancing blow and Guy goes spinning through the void, construct armour exploding outward from where Malvolio's fist hit it. Ablative armour is great against crumblers, but not anything like as good for more simple attacks. Guy recreates his armour as I try and work out what he's doing. Is he intentionally tanking? That-.

Guy's a little slow recovering and this time takes a punch to the chest. He hurtles towards the barrier imprisoning Priest while Lord Malvolio goes in for a follow up attack.

Apros intercepts him, his construct tentacles being incinerated almost as quickly as they're being made.

I need to stop-.

I fly towards the barrier as the two Lanterns I don’t recognise pelt Lord Malvolio with green bolts of energy, which as far as I can tell doesn't even distract him as he stops burning the tentacles and starts pulling them towards himself.

Okay, barrier, barrier.

I unfocus, searching inside for-. Ah, it's not decontaminated. We can feel the desires of those who were on the other side, and something of the patterns of their lives. We transubstantiate, flying along the corridors until we are where they were. And then we appear-.

"Oh dear. This really wasn't necessary."

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  10. FourthPear

FourthPear Frequent Flier.

Paul better tell him “I told you so.”

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And Guy is much stronger than Jordan.

'die too'

So this is Malvolio's version of the Honden, or ar least a transportation technique.

Add a "

Probably just a transportation technique.

Pail always loves saying this.

Of course he does.

'stops'

No time to be zen, Priest.

12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

13. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Which pose?:)

14. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

I choose to believe that it was a jojo pose.

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Welp, looks like he did pull a Goku, and now he can teleport via Will. Well done, Guy and friends. At this point, all OL can hope for is that Malvolio takes a moment to look before he leaps... And that ain't likely.

Dang Lanterns, bullheaded as ever.

And it'll do as much good as for hunters with sticks did against a mammoth....

Save it for after the fight, along with the 'I told you so's...

If only so you can kill him later for being a twit.

Now, will he follow through on that promise in the heights of stubbornness the Green Light can produce? We'll see...

Hmm... A glimpse of Will's Realm, or merely a powerful wormhole? Given that Greediporting is basically instantaneous, I'm leaning towards the latter... But OL did take longer when he first started using it...

I'm not sure what it means, but clearly it's not a pleasant term...

Not bad. I assume that was some manner of comms call, as managed without the Ring VI.

From the looks of it, he's not in a talking mood. This is going to need some fast talking.

Though I bet it was one hell of a trip. Not like many people before them had seen the Earth from space, nor the Moon up close...

Just in case he thinks you're coming at him with intent. Good move.

Unfortunately, you've been foiled by Guy's bullheadedness...

And I can see Malvolio giving him a 'Really?' look.

And the Look deepens. I really don't think he's in the mood, OL.

After all, they were probably trying to work out what sort of construct Malvolio had used... I doubt a Crumbler would have done much, no matter how large.

Well, at least he isn't travelling FTL yet. Which is going to make him a very visible target for the Lanterns.

Has Guy ever backed down from a fight he thought he had a chance of winning, OL? Do you really expect him to start now?

For all you know, his aura will blow them away before they make contact with anything solid...

Oh, he's gonna hold you to that, Guy. While he patches you up.

I have the feeling the flame is working more like a tiny swarm of constructs. No crumbler will snuff more than a tiny bit of it...

Someone never learnt to ignore natural reflexes while moving under Ring power, did he?

Then do something, OL. You're going to piss someone off no matter what you do, so why not restrain all of them?

Problem with backing off is, Malvolio will simply pursue. And making an FTL hop to open distance probably feels like retreating...

I can see it. Unfortunately, his squad-mates' DPS leaves a lot to be desired.

Okay, that's impressive. Subverting a Lantern's constructs with a Light other than Orange? I suspect a lot of Malvolio's strength is that he doesn't know it's not possible...

Ah, going to haul Priest out of there and hope he can talk Malvolio down? At least we have confirmation that he is Enlightened.

I suppose busting the person the Green Lanterns came here to recover is one way to sort out the fight. Not going to make the 800-pound gorilla happy, but he's already in a bad mood, so I doubt things can get that much worse... Unless someone calls Ion in. Of course, there's still the matter of the bubble of Will holding Priest there.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  16. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Is this Guy? I feel like this isn't something he'd say, but it has green quotation marks.

SaltyWaffles, Whiteeyes and caspian1a like this.
  17. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

It’s Priest. The lantern who used to be imprisoning LM, but is now imprisoned, instead.

mastermenthe, Vorian, BBJimmy and 9 others like this.
  18. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

There have been mentions of summoning Ion but I really think it would be weird to see Ion take much of a side in Green on Green violence. But then IDK much about DC outside fanfics.

19. Whiteeyes

Whiteeyes Non Breeding Bunny

I'm half expecting Priest to just walk out of the prison like "Look I could have gotten out at any time but I was trying this whole diplomatic thing. Way to ruin it guys."

20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The issue where Hal enters the Green Central Power Battery is called Willworld. Mr Zoat may use that as the name for Willpower's equivalent of the Honden of Avarice.

That should say 'what'.

21. c3qo

c3qo Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Sure looks similar. Wonder if Malvolio did copy the technique by observing Paragon.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  22. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Are we not talking about Priest achieving Green Enligthenment?

I'm still waiting for one Paul to assemble a whole set, sooner or later.

I think we got Red, Orange, Yellow and Green so far.

Otto von Saurion and Bud-E like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    The SI has never met Geoffrey Talbot, and probably never will. He died fighting the Sheeda, having never had his revenge.

24. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

who had yellow enlightnment

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think he's talking about Lord Protector.

Bud-E and Handlewithcare like this.
  26. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Michael Siskin did too, though he's (probably) dead now.

Not sure how he managed this. I thought he would have just triggered them all in one go or something.

We now have three green-enlightened Lanterns in play (maybe four if Chaselon shows up- he's my first pick for who I would have sent to face someone like Malvolio). I'm not going to get my hopes up for Ion (because he's willpower, not hope) but things should be interesting.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That's sad.

At least the Angels destroyed the Caligula Club and killed the members.

At least the demon magic using ones.

Speaking of that particular shit hole, are its non magic using members trying to rebuild it, or are they trying to repent after their colleagues died because they're afraid of being stabbed with a flaming sword by an Angel?

28. Mr Zoat

They lack the required knowledge, and so limit themselves to more mundane corruption.

29. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

That just means more interuniversal travel

ChestBurster and Bud-E like this.
  30. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

Either extraneous word or missing a word right after.
    If neither then you are missing a word in one of the previous sentences.