1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Which should be a very curious idea to nearly any scientist worth their salt. There aren't many species that have that kind of exotic lifespan potential around, are there? But then, Humans can cheat, having evolved on the home of the White Light Entity, after all...

Heh, there's a sentiment many alien races seem to share about humans, alongside the 'Humans are insane!' one.

...Uh... :confused: Bit of a pinch there. Guy doesn't know the truth yet, does he?

Another possible answer: 'Older than I look, and younger than you might think.' Just for that added inscrutability.

And now we get a little insight into a possible source of some of Future-OL's more exotic knowledge and skills.

Good to see they didn't get interrupted or provoked again.

Seriously, what crawled up his ass and died to make him this twitchy...

See, this would probably be one of those things that would be outside the budget of even an animated series...

"And you thought you could take him?"
    "I could'a."

Since even that giant shield he used in the encounter with Grayven-16 wasn't the size of an entire system. Truly, size matters not...

Honestly, Guy. Tell the truth. Are you just jealous he's that powerful with the Green Light?

Especially things like the Unbounded Charge, eh? That would be ludicrously useful for any Lantern...

'Not bad', he says... Oh, you mean his character? Yes, well... He's a product of his time.

So Malvolio didn't just hold onto Priest's Ring? Lock it in a box somewhere? I rather think him destroying it would have been noted.

Love the unspoken poke.

...So, knowledge of his brief imprisonment was not made public. To be fair, most would probably agree he needed a vacation, if they'd read the files...

Not the strangest idea. I suppose Priest needed some way to keep busy standing watch.

Ah, OL, your sense of timing. Comedic as ever.

Not one for fancy, is he?

Given it was probably the first time off in three centuries, I would think so.

Indeed.

Heh. Kind of says something about how large a threat he considered, them.

Not quite blasted back into the stone age, but not for want of trying...

Before or after you acted like a cocky prick?

I'm sure Malvolio's cleaning staff didn't... :oops:

Not for want of trying, I expect.

If only so OL can stand nearby and call 'I told you so!' when he effs up?

Win-win then. Imagine Guy pulling some of Priest or Malvolio's stunts, then. :D Jordan will turn greener with envy.

All's well that ends well, then. I expect the next part will be a look at the Dreadnaught planet, and Guy being grumpy still. To be fair, I can see why. This was not a good showing for an Honour Guard Lantern. Still, Priest is back in the saddle (so to speak,) Malvolio has a minder and OL has a few new ideas for training his students. A good end all round, bar a few bruises...

Ah, the age-old error. 'Your'.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    mastermenthe, Vorian, BR549 and 16 others like this.
  2. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Did… did the super-bacteria that allowed Maltusians to skip the tech tree give them a sort of mental illness?

Or perhaps that one line about restricting themselves so they wouldn’t overrun (and rule) the universe was as unbreakable as a geas on their minds?

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or it's just the consequences of being billions of years old.

To them a few centuries may be the equivalent of a couple of long hours, so they don't give them much thought.

Cuchulin, CTrees, Mastigos2 and 6 others like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Malvolio maybe.

Guy has always been headstrong and assholish, and Malvolio was apparently subtly influencing him so maybe he increased his headstrong traits.

It's how you use it that matters.

Unless the method he used to destroy it also prevented the notification of its destruction.

5. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

Your

Edit : Ah, already said, sorry. Missed the light blue text.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    moralrelativity likes this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

7. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

And so the Guardians have collected another piece of information on what the SI does or doesn't know in meta-knowledge.

8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Usually hyphenated

enters

Appa

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

10. Threadmarks: A Waltz in Orange and Green (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

10th September 2012
    13:22 GMT -7

Huh.

Look at that. Finally got the laurel wreath.

I continue staring my the reflection of my own left haunch as I consider the implication. Is it.. because my rule is unchallenged? Because I don't have a rival? Because I'm the only Grayven? Or is it something to do with the mirror; is it interpreting my nature differently? Potentially differently each time, if the change in mental processes is different enough?

Perhaps more pertinently, is Luna going-

"Are you concerned that you are gaining weight, our swain?"

-to have an episode? I remember that Littlepip had an episode when she got shot in the cutie mark, but I'm reasonably confident this isn't the Fallout: Equestria timeline.

Luna trots into the room, smiling at my unannounced arrival. I briefly consider armouring up, but she'd just want to know why and it would be a sign that I don't trust her.

"No. But, well…"

I nod my head at the reflection of my labour tattoo. Luna narrows her eyes slightly as she tries to work out what my game is, then appears to decide to go along with it and take a closer look. Is 'take a close look at my cutie mark, no, closer' the pony equivalent of 'pull my finger'?

Then she starts, blinking and winding her neck back.

"What happened?"

"You remember I mentioned that alternate version of myself?"

"The one who caused you to break the containment upon your anti-life fragment?"

"No, the other one."

I can't help it. I bow my head slightly, grinning to myself. I love living a life where that sort of statement actually makes sense.

Luna walks around me to look me in the face.

"The one who would at some point threaten your domains?"

"Yes. He did threaten my domain, and… The matter is… Sort of resolved. Unfortunately…"

"You have acquired a new anti-life fragment." She nods. "Do you require the aid of the Elements?"

"No. I mean, it's something like that, but I doubt that the cure is… Quite the same. Is there any object in Equestria that you want totally and irrecoverably destroyed?"

"We have entertained that fantasy of many objects in Equestria, some of which had the power of speech." She considers for a moment. "This method of destruction is absolute?"

"Absolutely absolute. There are ways to defend against it, but they mostly revolve around not getting hit."

"Then… There are indeed such objects. The peytral and helmet worn by Nightmare Moon were shattered by the Elements, but they were not destroyed. They are being studied by some of Sister's 'top ponies', but We would be happier knowing that they were utterly unmade."

"Gotta say, that sounds like an accident waiting to happen."

"That was what We said." She breathes in deeply and then exhales. "But it was not long after Our return, and Sister assured Us that matters were well in hand."

"If you want to see what this fragment does, lead me to it."

She regards me curiously. "We think that We should discuss that with Sister afore We take such action. We take it, then, that this new power is your trophy of victory?"

"Eh. Not sure. Basically, he hit me with it when I hit him with an assimilation attempt. I'm-. The me you're talking to now is what walked away from… What might have been a merger, after Artemis shot his-. The other Grayven's strongest personality traits out of him. Us. … Me."

"You have his memories and power?"

"Y-es, but it's more than that. I-."

"You are the both of you together?"

"'I' might be 'him'." I glance back, letting her react as she will without worry about what I think of her reaction. "I've no idea what his cutie mark would have been. I don't know if Starswirl's Mirror ever changes how it portrays them."

"We… We must confess that We do not know. Does it trouble you?"

"No. I mean… I'm a little worried about-. Hah! Like you and Nightmare Moon, I suppose. Worried-."

"Worried that you couldst become that other you again."

"But not worried that I'm suddenly going to think 'eternal darkness, what a good idea'. Or in his case, 'absolute tyranny, that's a viable way to control a large multispecies empire'. I mean, I… As far as I can tell, my… My beliefs and behaviours are still… Those of the 'me' I'd rather be."

I bow my head slightly.

"Care to share your wisdom?"

"You mean to ask, 'do We still believe that We are the same mare We were before We became Nightmare Moon?'"

"Yes-. Mostly because it lets me put off trying to set up a meeting with Metron to try and get this…" I blink slowly, then realise that she won't know what that signifies. "Metron's a New God who can probably work out how to get rid of this fragment."

"Why didst you not seek him out to remove the last piece?"

"Because, one, he'd sell it back to Darkseid in a heartbeat, and, two, he's… Unpleasant to deal with. Not dangerous, not monstrous, just… Unpleasant."

Luna frowns. "If this cur would sell it to Darkseid, why offer him this piece?"

"Because it's part.. of… Or a backdoor connection to… Or something, to a power Darkseid is using all of the time. He's already got it, so even if getting it back made him a little bit more powerful, it wouldn't really affect things on a strategic level. He wouldn't gain any new capabilities."

"Is there no advantage to him believing you to be the other Grayven?"

"I tend to assume that Darkseid knows everything I'm doing. But it doesn't really make much difference; I have Grayven's memories. He was every bit as committed to acting against Darkseid as I am, and had less contact with him than I have."

I clench and relax my haunches a few times.

"This doesn't weird you out? I'd have thought that ponies would get a bit fixated about a cutie mark changing."

"A good many would. However, Our mark changed when we became Nightmare Moon. Not only that, but We have borne witness to outbreaks of Cutie Pox before, and are hardly so timorous as to be mentally enfeebled by a change in demarcation which you do not even possess in your native form."

I walk closer and nuzzle her.

"Thanks. I-."

She jerks her head back from my nuzzle attempt.

"Though We will chide you for avoiding your duty. Are you not the one who hath lectured Us on the duty of a sovereign to address their flaws?"

"Yes, but… It's not quite the same thing. You and Celestia rule as joint autocrats. I don't have that much day to day decision making to do."

"Do you truly expect us to believe that?"

"Yes. But.. you're right, I should just get on with it."

"Would it calm your quailing heart if We were to accompany you?"

I smile. "Any time I spend in your company is time well spent. Even if there are other people there as well."

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  11. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Are the laurels surrounding the faces, or did the laurels replace the faces?

12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, Renegade. It appears something fundamental has changed about you, if Starswirl's Mirror did something that drastic. To be fair, I'm not aware of any pony changing their Cutie Mark other than some manner of temporary disguise... Seriously, you need to see Metron, man...

I know, right? Human brains are hard enough to work out as it is. It gets even crazier when you've got two similar yet different forms of cosmic enhancement bubbling away in them...

Be honest, Grayven. Are you just here to keep putting off seeing Metron, or is some part of you hoping she'll kick your dumb flank into it?

And trust is something she's very nervous about, that much is clear. Given her history.

Well, it would involve having your head in close proximity to a pony's arse... You don't have to be Cheese Sandwich to realise the comedic potential.

...Oooh, that's the 'Speak swiftly or Thou whilst be residing in the kennels.' tone of voice...

Because meeting just one alternate version of Grayven is for wimps. That's Grayven of Earth-50, by the way.

Well, at least you haven't been playing the Paragon's storyline, and the multiversal fuckery of meeting dozens of yourself... Yourselves... Argh, English doesn't have the words needed for this shit.

And a threat that isn't carried out... Isn't much of a threat.

Which could be awkward this time, since they would still be in the Tree of Harmony at this point...

Gee, it's like ancient wizards had no sense of right or wrong...

Never mind the reminder of that time, who knows what kind of dark magic still lingers about them?

In other words, while she still had her pretty little head up that expansive flank of hers...

Trophy... Curse... Potahto, Potayto. It's all a matter of perspective, really.

...Would it help to point out that she basically shot him with ersatz versions of the Elements of Harmony? Or would that just upset her more?

Well, the other guy's been pretty quiet so far...

...Why do you think he's here, Princess? Besides the pleasure of your wonderful company?

Yes, she would definitely understand what he's going through, even if it's not entirely the same thing.

And if he does resurface, the Renegade has plenty of friends to help smack him down again. They'd practically be lining up to take a shot...

Well, that's be unlikely. You are a thousand years separated from that time...

...Ah. :confused: Damn, drawing a blank on any pony I could compare him to, other than Twilight Sparkle herself.

Ever tried selling Ice to Polar Bears? Or Sand to Saddle Arabians?

Like He doesn't already know what's been happening. He has many spies, and many of them don't even know they're His spies...

At least you two agree on that detail, if not the execution.

She's got you there, Grayven.

Don't think you're off the hook yet, though, Casanova.

Outside of your own household. And the kids are mostly old and smart enough to be able to take care of themselves.

See, Renegade? All you needed was a good kick in the flank.

...I don't think the Princess is interested in exhibitionism, Grayven. :p

Now... Which form would she be planning on using for this presumed visit to Metron? Human... Or Alicorn? Because I can see the New God of Inquisitiveness being very interested in the folk of planet Wilson... Still, at least the Renegade will have moral support when dealing with him. Probably a good idea not to go alone anyway, just in case.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's like a prostate exam.

Renegade knows he has to go and get it, but he just doesn't want to have someone sticking their hand up his ass.

Maybe both.

Alternates may work.

Don't do magic kids.

Sunset may work.

Hell the Mother Box may also be a spy.

I remember a scene in the comics where Darkseid has Himon, an Apokaliptian resistance leader, standing right in front of him and he does nothing.

Himon is actually opposing him and yet he just lets him go.

He could have somehow implanted some spying devices on the Mother Box.

Some of them maybe, but not all of them.

For some of them 'taking care of themselves' involved eating people older than them.

He needs a lot of those.

Yeah, you have no idea what could happen in a prostate exam.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    mauke, Ardy, Sockmonkey and 3 others like this.
  14. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Is.

Before.

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  15. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

"ere" is correct, same meaning but it's the old fashioned way Luna talks.

WhiteNoise and Silveraith like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

Surrounding.
    Thank you, corrected.

17. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Littlepip had a lot of ‘episodes’. Consequence of being a ‘hero’ in an apocalyptic hell-scape where murder, mutation, mutilation and mistreatment are the norm.

Strange that an SI doesn’t seem to get the reference.

WhiteNoise and mastermenthe like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Going a little crazy because you find out that one of the major local meat suppliers are cannibals and you might accidentally be too is understandable. Going crazy because you get what is by your own standards a relatively small wound isn't.

19. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Yeah, that's heartwarming.

Anyway, even if Metron figures out the whole SI thing, is not gonna be so bad.

moralrelativity likes this.
  20. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

To be fair to actual Grayven, absolute tyranny -is- a viable method of running a multi-species empire when you have literal god powers that make it work. Pretty sure there was even a bit where it was mentioned everyone in his domain/influence instinctively knew who the best person for any given job/role just because Grayven would know as an aspect of his godhood.

Ardy likes this.
  21. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Hmm... Given that Grayven referenced Fallout: Equestria and the fact that ponies were studying paces of Nightmare moon makes me think this could be the Nyxverse. Well if Twilight shows up with a cute black filly 'cousin' we will know.

Though that does lead to the question if this is the orginal Pen Stroke Nyxverse or the (imo superior) RHJunior Nyxverse.

22. Mr Zoat

I've only read one of those, so probably that one.

23. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Well both start with Past Sins by Pen Stroke then diverge after. Pen Stroke's sequels being less humorous and a darker take on subjects with almost sole focus on character relationships (And doesn't acknowledge anything past season 2) and Rhjunior's (Aka Realitycheck) having a closer feel to the show and frankly a far more entertaining tales that manage to balance the character development with world-building plot. If you have not read his works I HIGHLY recommend them. Very very few fanfics can I say that I have reread more then once and even less more then twice. His works I have probably each read more then half a dozen times. I even sprang to have Dr. Wolf on youtube do a couple of readings for some of his shorter works.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/RealityChecksNyxverse

mastermenthe likes this.
  24. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

affect

chide

25. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Or we could just not have Nyx at all. The eminently superior option.

26. Threadmarks: A Waltz in Orange and Green (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

10th September 2012
    20:58 GMT

"Found the-?"

"I ain't tawkin' ta you, yet."

So it's like that.

I turn away, looking down at the.. seventh? Largest city on Padrook, planet of origin of the fourth most significant species in this Sector. There are warships in orbit above us, but they're making a point of not taking position directly above us. Perhaps because they don't want to look too menacing, but more likely because they know that if they open fire from that position every missed shot would kill thousands of their own people. Far better to come at us from below or from the side.

I found it revolting that the Tearing Bite ships around Tamaran had kinetic harpoon launchers, because those were only any use against soft ground targets. This city is the opposite in some ways. It has levels of anti-air weapons usually only seen in places where either their enemies make mass use of assault skimmers or where their enemies are other people living on the planet. The buildings aren't strictly fortified, but they are clearly built to be tough enough that they won't collapse if someone has a fire fight in one. The city has some pretty powerful force field generators and impressive capacitors to power them under full bombardment, but no ground to space weapons I can see.

Everything here is purely defensive, but… It's designed to keep people alive while their fleet deals with the fleet of whoever's attacking them. It's not efficient to use your ships to attack civilians somewhere that has a fleet defending it. Even if your fleet is superior, it's always more sensible to hit the enemy fleet first.

Oh, you might threaten civilians with bombardment in order to force the enemy fleet to move into a disadvantageous position; that would explain the shields. But the AA and the structural reinforcement suggest that these people thought that being attacked by a ground army was a risk. No, something that actually happened often enough that they built or rebuilt entire cities with that in mind. Deploying an army to a world where you don't have orbital supremacy is generally a stupid thing to do, because you're putting men and materiel somewhere where it's hard for you to get it back and easy for your enemy to shoot it.

This means that not only did the local fighting get to the point where they were prioritising killing each other's civilians, but that their soldiers hated their enemies so much that they would gladly drop to certain death just to kill some of them.

That's not-. Unless the stellar nations fighting had regressed technologically to the point where the only way they could get through force fields was on the ground, that's a terribly inefficient way of fighting. But I guess that sometimes it's not about being efficient.

"Found the concentration camps yet?"

"No."

"Did you know they were invented by the British?"

Guy frowns, then glances my way for a second before returning to staring at the city.

"No. How come?"

"During the Boer War, when we fought Dutch settlers for control of South Africa. Their civilian population wasn't best pleased to see us, so… The decision was made that moving them from their homes and putting them in camps where their population could be concentrated in one place was a sensible way to manage them and avoid problems with partisans. A bit like the villages America made for Vietnamese people they displaced during the Vietnam War."

"What're we lookin' at, Paul?"

"A place built during a very nasty war, which is now over."

"Been takin' a look at their internet. They really like Mally."

"And I'd guess that it's not just in the official records that they say that."

"No. It ain't."

"Why didn't this Sector have a Lantern after Priest quit?"

"Yeah. I been wonderin' that, too."

"There was no one primary instigator in the war. It's not like when Abin Sur stopped Devlos Ungol. Their unified civilisation was built around the vision of one man."

"What'd'ya think I'm thinkin'?"

"Same thing I am. If things fell apart like this, the Guardians should have left him in place."

We each glance at the other.

"Or removed him earlier, before he could become that important."

"Would'a been bettah."

"For who? Because looking around…" I pointedly look around. "The locals consider further war inconceivable."

"See if they still think that aftah they get t'know him." He contemplates the city for a moment. "What were you an' him tawkin' abowt, anyhow?"

I smile, raising my right hand. "Check it out."

He looks, then frowns. "Thought you were seein' that assassin chick?"

"Larfleeze's ring. Or at least a manifestation of the desires that went into it."

"So it didn't get destroyed by qwa energy. Or… Only tha physical part did. How'd you get it?"

"Reaching around inside the Honden, looking for a ring. That might work for you; a lot more green rings have been destroyed than orange ones."

He nods. "Give it a shot. Anythin' else?"

"Remember how the first personal lantern I made looked?"

"Like a melted pile a' scrap?"

I take my latest effort out of subspace. "This is my second attempt. As you can see, it's a little better."

Guy looks it over carefully, his eyes flickering green.

"Huh. Thought it'd take longer t'get this good at it."

"It wasn't quick, and I haven't had Hinon check it over yet. But it looks better."

"Can Malvolio do that? I know he had that big Lantern in his space station, but if that took three hundred years I ain't too worried."

"It's a Central Power Battery. He doesn't make personal lanterns because he doesn't need them."

"A Cen-? Does that even..?"

"As far as he knows, yes. He hasn't got the hang of making rings yet. But when he does-."

"He gets his own Corps." Guy frowns. "I don't even know how I feel abowt that."

"I don't think it's ever happened before. I'll be interested to see how it works out."

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

28. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

29. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Paul really just said "sounds like a you problem" right to Guy's face.

30. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

build -> built

That didn't last long. I think it's sweet how Guy can't stay mad at Paul for long. They're a cute couple.