1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I assumed that was a typo…

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Somewhere Hinon is screaming into the bleed at Paragons complete and utter idiocy...

MagnumForce likes this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    You're welcome.

4. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Early Oh El would hit current Oh El with a heavy trout.

There is a War and he is like "I don't care, I want more [DATA]".

Ardy likes this.
  5. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

Narratively speaking, wasn’t half of the point of that statement to be a setup for when Vetinari’s origonal, morbidly cynical worldview was proven wrong (or at least, in need of revision to account for the relatively less common exceptions)
    by the watch not making a power/influence grab at the end,
    and just asking for a little more furniture/a few cheap humble comforts for the watchhouse (not to mention the continued existance of Carrot as a living counterpoint)?

might not be the best example/quote for the usage case here

… also, OL’s still under the “seek data” compulsion,and it’s it’s gotten cleaver/strong enough to nudge him away from checking with his ring, hasn’t it? >.<

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    mastermenthe and Vorian like this.
  6. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

’something I shouldn’t have’

Mr Zoat likes this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think early Paul would be at least fine with current Paul.

8. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yeah... Except Vetinari's still running the city.

9. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Is OL not worried about Melion and the other two Gods he brought into a war against a power-hungry Demi-God.

Ardy likes this.
  10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

No he's not, nobody runs Ankh-Morpork, at best they just keep a tight hold on the reigns and hope it doesn't randomly explode.

11. Mr Zoat

It's not that he's not worried, it's that he thinks that the best he can do for them is get rid of Sparta and then negotiate a truce.

12. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Early Paul was a lot more heroic but keep having power problems.

He also resorted to violence and weapons a lot more.

Doccer likes this.
  13. Threadmarks: Sungate (part 36)
    Mr Zoat

11th September 2012
    21:00 GMT

"What is this nonsense?"

"Nonsense?"

"Were these images shown to you by the parasites?"

"No, I recorded them in person on Earth -or as I like to call it, 'Hard Mode'- while… Well, that one of Scott Free-"

I make the image pulse.

"-and Big Barda was taken not long after we first met, and that one of Canis was when he broke into an art gallery with a hostage because he couldn't resist the opportunity to study alien art, and… That’s the guy they sent to assassinate him. Did you find an example of their technology somewhere and innovate based on it?"

Almost certainly not, as the machinery that would be required to do that is significantly more advanced than any of the non-New God stuff I've seen either Karrakanian faction use. But I want to give her a face-saving out, just in case she's amenable to negotiat-.

"Lies."

Of course.

"If you don't believe me, we can just pay them a visit. You have a boom tube generator, I have the spatial coordinates. Or you could restore my ring's long-range communications and I can get one of Earth's many Lanterns to put them on? Look, I can understand if you want to keep it quiet, but one way or another your conflict is getting resolved here. The local team aren't in any condition to-"
    Stupefied By My Splendour.
    A blue and black aura spikes around Sparta's head and her bodyguards stumble backwards, their eyes growing vacant. Athyns stumbles and half-collapses backwards.
    **Fall.**
    "-take advantage…"
    **Fall.**
    I can feel her, the mental pressure she's… Bringing to bear. I'm not staggering because my armour's motive control isn't letting me.

Ugh.

Sparta… Closer. Floating… Balls…

"You shouldn't be able to resist, alien. Is there a god in your ancestry as well?"

Balls. Last time… Neural chaff. This time… Ball.

"I will simply have to risk making an enemy of the Orange Lanterns. I cannot have anyone knowing that I'm depending on another."

Recording?

Confirmed.

Sparta raises her right hand, bright glow.

"I will ensure that you receive the proper rites."

I can feel the balls.

My balls. Our balls.

"Whu-?"

Strands of orange leap from my spear, binding themselves to each of the Seeds. Sparta slashes at a strand with her claw of solar plasma and… Ah, I cause it to cool and dissipate as an act of will.

"I'm a thaumovore with an orange power ring. I've been feeding on the energies of your Ascendants ever since this fight started."

Let's see… That one belongs to Crius. And remove the mental paralysis from Athyns-

"Ah!"

"I've been adding your magic to my soul. Effectively, I'm-"
    Separate!
    The deck buckles as Sparta draws on the power of Themis to reshape the rock of New Cronus, and then quietens as I use that same power to resist.

"-you. Any chance we could settle this like civilised beings?"

"Guards!" "Awaken!"

Her somewhat stunned bodyguards blink, eyes widening as they see their leader and some orange rando in combat.

She's not going to take the gracious way out. And I can't put her guards back to sleep now that she's trying to keep them awake. We've got about a half-share of the orbs each.

But I'm piggybacking on her access, and she wasn't designed to use the Seeds.

I swing the butt of my spear to strike the Ascendant closest to me on my left, and Athyns doesn't bother drawing a weapon as he tackles the not-quite-with-it Ascendant with the axe to my right.

"Kill them!" "Die!"

I feel… Whatever she just tried to do pass over me with no effect, but Athyns loses his grip and his target manages to strike a glancing blow to his head, forcing him off them.

Ring, play the recording, loudly.

Compliance.

"Look, I can understand if you want to keep it quiet, but one way or another your conflict…"

The Ascendants snap from planning to rush us to a cautious guard, watching the image for an attack. But that makes them see when Sparta stunned them, and-

"I will simply have to risk making an enemy of the Orange Lanterns. I cannot have anyone knowing that I'm depending on another."

-there's the confession. They know that they felt weird there, and Sparta can't edit their memories further with me in partial control.

"Who are you depending on, Sparta? You may as well tell us."

"It's just an illusion!" Your Queen Commands!

I feel the pressure of her spiritual force, stabbing the 'bloke wearing a lab coat and a stethoscope wandering around a hospital is fine' buttons in my brain. No, that's not how logic works!

Argument From Authority Fallacy.

Athyns' opponent shoves him back but doesn't follow up, staring with concern at the hologram. I set it to play on loop.

"You know things got a bit strange there for a moment. That's what happened. Sparta is lying to you; maybe not about everything, but definitely about where the weapons and armour you're using come from. You're supposed to be her chief agents, the next step down in the feudal pyramid. And she's keeping something like that from you, and trying to wipe your minds when I tell you."

"I don't really care who wins this internal Karrakanian religious dispute, but it seems to me that it's hard to make good decisions without accurate information, whatever your inclinations."

"Sparta?" The Ascendant physician who followed us in turns his head slightly towards her, while still keeping me in their visual field. "What is this?"

"I kept this from you because there are things it is best that you not know! And now this alien-."

"NO!" The Ascendant tears his helmet off and throws it at her feet. He's… Not very old. "I have killed thirty four Karrakanians today, and a dozen aliens! Our world was ruined by the Ascendant just.. fighting for their own interest! I follow you because you said that you had a better way, and now you tell me that you were lying too?!"

The other Ascendants shift slightly. They are deeply unhappy, and if Sparta's got any sense-.

BOOM!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  14. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Looks like Sparta's angry, going by this Godspeech...

15. Syphi

Syphi Reading four stories at a time.

Is it just me, or did OL just use godspeech there?

16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He did. He doesn't do it often, but he has shown that he is capable of using it, though mostly instinctually.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  17. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

OL: "Do you know the saying "You are what you eat"? Well, I'm eating you."

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

What did you think would happen.

Well not quite, but I guess the Ophidian can count.

If this isn't deliberate then it should be 'her right hand'

Heh.

'We've got'

She doesn't.

Welp, looks like we'll be seeing the big grey douchebag.

19. DarkBlackJack

DarkBlackJack What is motivation and why is it keep decreasing

Wait he can use godspeech? Or is "FEED ME!" also counts as one?

20. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

I've kind of lost the plot on how this Greek Gods in Space plot arc started. Are Melinoe and the other minor Greek Underworld goddesses Paul brought with him on this trip dead? I think there's something with Sparta and her enemy forces blocking communication or Melinoe was captured? This arc is interesting, but feels a little tangled.

The friendly gods Paul first met with are descendants of Olympians who left Earth and became new gods to aliens? Sparta is some abandoned or wronged Olympian goddess who got some level of New God backing for more advanced weapons and technology?

I just need some streamlining in how things fit and what's happened.

Relyt33, Vorian, Wheenesss and 7 others like this.
  21. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

So
    Renegade ate other Grayven. Plus part of the elements of Harmony.
    Paragon just ate Sparta and a significant portion of titan power.
    Clever parallel.

22. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

And here I was thinking OL finally was brought low to baby cussing!

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zeus banished Rhea for refusing to marry him, she later escaped and went to an alien planet where she mated with the locals producing demigods who later on fought each other in a destructive war.

After that Rhea used pieces of her siblings Titans power to birth new Titans.

Sparta is a granddaughter of one of the alien demigods Rhea had.

24. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

The last BOOM is missing some godspeech

Perhaps:

Exit Stage Left

Fuck This Shit I'm Out

or

Peace Out, Homies

Finerc, BR549, ChestBurster and 15 others like this.
  25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, dear. Does she seriously believe only she and hers can truly be Gods? Or was it the suggestion of doing business that has her enraged? And how much of this is her putting on an act in front of her followers... Any way you turn it, it looks like that Diplomacy check failed hard.

The joy of being such a provincial being. No conception of the greater world. Sparta and her ilk are sitting at the bottom of a well, and pretending they know all there is.

Ooh, nice attempt to gain a retry, eh? Alas, I doubt her mood will improve any.

Okay, Negotiation looks to be off the table. Hopefully this can still be resolved without violence, though.

OL, enough. Your Diplomacy modifier is so far in the negative right now, it can't even see zero from where it is... It's not going to magically wrap back around to plus-infinity.

Ah, resorting to the age old 'Shut up!', backed by psychic attacks. The clear sign of someone losing the argument.

Careful, though, you might end up dying standing up...

...No, I'm pretty sure she's female, OL. :V Or are you just swearing?

Ah, go for the sneaky 'yoink!' while she's distracted, eh? No god, certainly, though. Just the heart of a primal force that even your ancestors respected.

Whoopsie. Too bad she put everyone under. At least he got it on tape, though I suspect some of her followers will deny the truth of it...

Yeah, right. You'll say something over the pile of ash?

Unleash the Orange Light! Because if I read that right, he's having a little Ba-BUM moment with the Ophidian...

Best feeling, subverting the enemy's own power against them...

Preferably while leaving Sparta's troops napping. Two against one sounds fair.

Sparta may have the edge in skill, but OL's got power to burn... :eek: Until he runs out of charge.

Well, spit. Athyns might have to play Tank while OL runs Crowd Control on Sparta... Or maybe the other way around...

So it's basically a tug-of-war for the power. Great.

If OL can get at least one of the Titans up, maybe they can tilt the balance.

Whoops, debuffs!

Just be sure to be ready to heal any friendly ear damage...

I wonder how many doubted her before seeing that...

...Because I suspect that number has grown considerably now.

Uh-uh, honey. No mind-whammying them into subservience now.

That's one way to resist outside control, I suppose. And how very OL of OL to phrase his Godspeech that way...

I can't imagine that makes any of them happy. It's a good bet many of them were on the fence already, given she seems to have press-ganged and indoctrinated many of her fellow demigods into this crusade...

Ah, the first dissenter. Let's hope she doesn't respond how most children do when having a temper tantrum...

Ah, the voice of rebellion. And with every voice raised against her, her self-proclaimed authority crumbles further.

Now, is Sparta running, or could that be her sponsor coming to step in?

Well, Sparta, that's what happens when you try to build an empire on such fragile foundations. One stiff breeze (or a particularly clever outsider) comes along, and down goes the whole house of cards... But then, this whole affair seems to be the foolish plan of a child... Let's just hope whoever's coming through that Boom Tube isn't too powerful...

Unless he's putting it rather tersely: 'Sparta raises her right hand, brightly glowing.'
    ...there are things it is best that you not know!

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You really think that's how this will go?

Really?

Hey you don't know Karrakian biology.

For the love of all that is holy, stop taunting Murphy!

27. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

God I'm so childish, this made me laugh hysterically.

mastermenthe, CTrees, rdfox and 10 others like this.
  28. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

OMFG this is the BEST bit:
    OL is becoming the New God of Rationality!

29. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Alternately, the New God of Arguing on Reddit.

30. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

I was actually thinking
    It's all about the
    BOOM