1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Crooked Cross.
    No, I've only written one other Transformers Prime segment and don't plan any others.
    Thank you, corrected.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  2. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Mostly? Survive.

It is telling that eventually the Autobots decided to leave, expending vast resources doing so that they could instead have used to continue the war.
    Equally telling is that the Decipticons decided to pursue, also expending vast resources, rather than declaring victory and trying to restore their wrecked planet.

Megatron started the war and refused to let it end under any conditions other than his absolute victory.

Well, no. That happens when all the survivors travel to another planet. There is no one left to engage in fighting.

True. My assumption is that strategic weapons, due to the square cubed law, aren’t actually very efficient/effective at killing people as tough as a Transformer. For a 2 meter meat-bag the lethal radius of kiloton and megaton nukes is multiple kilometres. For a giant robot the radius might not be all that much more than a grenade.

Seats of government are wherever the rulers say they are. Once Megatron had more than half their civilisation answering to him, he was the one who decided where the seat of government was.
    And given Optimus was ‘the last prime’ I suspect everyone in the old government was dead pretty early.

3. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

So the guy that had to spent A LONG time fighting in gladiator combat killing other slaves for the pleasure of the cybertronian elite that only "earned" his freedom because he became way too fucking popular and when he started to talk everyone started to listen THAT guy has a warped view on how freedom is earned? You don't say.

That is a point people often ignore, Megatron didn't earn his freedom fighting, there was no way to earn freedom in Cybertron, he just became incredibly popular as a warrior and when he spoke others listened including members of the high class that also went Decepticon (like Soundwave?).

Megatron isn't a good guy, but he is 100% not at fault for Cybertron being a shit hole, Optimus holds A LOT more of the blame for that because he turned what would be a one sided purge of extremely guilty amoral slave owners and suffering peddlers (dismantling slaves for parts to sell to the high and middle class) into an actual civil war.

Megatron thinks in terms of fighting because that is all he knew about life, he needed moderate voices around him to keep him grounded and Optimus took all of those when he switched sides.

Also this update highlights why peace was no longer possible after the war started, too many cybertronians on both sides had lost close friends in combat, their equivalent to close family members. Even if Megatron wanted to stop too many of his troops wouldn't because they wanted revenge for the friends/family they lost, same with the autobots side.

If Megatron had ordered the Deceptions to stop fighting how many of them would actually do that? How many autobots would have stopped if Optimus had done the same?

The #1 reason for each cybertronian to join up either side was for revenge, you cannot stop bloodlusted troops, some would listen, but way more wouldn't. It took aeons of combat for some of the survivors to start to grow tired of killing and fighting and a lot of them are still extremely emotional in their desire to make the other side pay.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  4. Mr Zoat

Depending on which bits of that continuity we're talking about, Optimus Prime has already stolen and hidden the Allspark. That meant no more transformers or energon, and caches left during the earlier parts of the war were all there was to eat.

And I'm pretty sure that in the game the Autobots fled because Iacon was about to be overrun and that was their only alternative to death.
    The High Counsel doesn't get to enslave someone and then imply that them fighting back is them starting a war. The war started when they decided that people are property.
    No, they had photon missiles. Apparently they showed up in the novels, though I remember them from the 1987 Transformers annual where Vos and Tarn MADded each other with them.

5. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

There is just so much I could unpack in this, but as reactions go I think I'll just go with this instead.

6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yea... Maybe you should avoid the setting then...

You don't do well respecting setting's you don't really know all that well...

7. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Do any Paul's have a green ring? I know there's an anti-green Paul but have we seen any Paul's work for the Guardians or have an unalliened green ring?

Xmaster3000 and Prince Charon like this.
  8. Ostentatiousnessness

Ostentatiousnessness First of his name, last of his kind

I can’t wait for the various Pauls to become to frustrated with the hair pulling levels of stupidity across the realities that they decide to form some sort of… Citadel… made up of Pauls, in order to sort that shit out.

As an aside, I’d be very interested in seeing a version of Orange!Paul dropped in Brocton Bay for one of these “Tales from Beyond” just to see how he’d deal with that cluster fuck.

9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Eh, he saw the show, that's the important part.

It's not like the Stargirl thing where we're supposed to respect Infinity Inc despite them being so incompetent that they couldn't find supervillains in a decade when they were using their real names.

I mean did Jade fuck his brains out until that Paul lost his memories? Couldn't remember Jordan and Cameron Mahkent? henry King Sr who was married to Merry Pemberton and Jr? Larry Crock, Paula Brooks, and Artemis Crock? Isaac Bowen? Not a single one of them?

Paul should have been able to find the Injustice Society in a weekend leaving Courtney rescuing cats out of trees ten years later

10. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

We had enough greens that Krona was able to work on his scary project, but no, I don’t believe we have seen any traditional Green Pauls. I recall Mr Zoat once saying he’d probably struggle with Green (Willpower) the most of the whole spectrum. Remember Buffyverse Paul with the black ring? He is so much more functional than anyone could expect from his situation!

Part of that is due to the lack of Nekron in his head, but whatever. Mr Zoat knows himself best and he’s opted not to write as Paul for interesting green lanterns.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  11. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Someone made an omake of it at some point. Zoat also had the yellow enlightened version visit.

Xmaster3000, Lord Ernest and Vorian like this.
  12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Not really?

Because he's already making up a bunch of stuff that's contrary to the show so he can do the whole "Oh my SI shows up and lectures others for beings idiots" thing.

13. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

As clear as I can tell, the powers in worm are completely technological in nature, and a ring shouldn't have too much difficulty interfacing or hacking into them. Judging from that story's plot, the powers shouldn't be all that smart, and hacking them shouldn't be that difficult, as long as Paul wanted it enough. Copying the powers directly, on the other hand, would likely drain ring battery fast.

As for a power source, while I'm sure he could find plenty of exotic energy forms around, and even work on making some new ones, I doubt he could quickly find anything that could power a ring. But as long as he was able to establish a controlling position over a network of enough powers before losing ring battery, he should be able to deal with most threats, find a method to continue to clean up the rest of the messes in that setting, and maybe even set up some sort of background research into fixing up and studying his ring, however long that would take. I'm pretty sure that Kronos from Fallout has done the same, despite how long making any progress there will take him. Not like he doesn't have the time, with his lifespan.

Of course, for a while, Paul would be left baffled, asking himself questions like "What is going on?" and "Why would anyone do that or let this happen?". And there is a very real non zero possibility of someone immediately attempting to kill him after his appearance. I should also mention that I have yet to read Worm, although it is on my future reading list. Near the middle.

14. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not really tech-based, more hyper-advanced, multi-dimensional biology, and the powers only work within a certain range of Earth, with WOG from Wildbow himself that if you were to just start sniping people from space no one could do anything about it and precogs couldn't predict it.

Hacking is seemingly possible though, just a question of how to actually go about doing that and getting the useful stuff out of it. A non-blackboxed Tinker power, preferably with restrictions removed, could maybe let him reliably recharge the ring, but it's iffy.

15. Odysseus2099

Odysseus2099 Versed in the lewd.

Citation? Given we have the Entities being shown precogging Earth from several galaxies away, I doubt its that limited.

Xmaster3000 and Wetbananas like this.
  16. Assblaster5000

His direct words to the question of how PtV interacts with anything space-borne are:

"Powers don't generally range well beyond Earth's atmosphere - a conceit of setting. So flying into the empty darkness of space and bombarding the planet would do fine vs. PtV."

And here is where I got that from. The first response to the question is his, with the specific quote being one of the last ones in that comment, though it goes into several other things that could be relevant as well.

Also, I never said anything about The Entities, just powers. Same difference, I know, but I felt like pointing it out anyways.

17. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

By tech based, I mean conforming to a set of pre determined rules of reality. So anything with a specific structure to it, whether that be biological, mechanical, or some weird fundamental particle arrangement. In a setting that mixes tech and magic/divinity/random bullshit powers, like DC, the line between the two is very wavy. From what I can tell about Worm, and correct me if I'm wrong, the powers come from giant semi intelligent super computer machines which have specific features, processes, and purposes built into them, and which require a great deal of energy to function. This makes it seem that they are really obvious in terms of function, with no intentional or unintentional attempts at obscuring their own inner workings. I put this clearly on the tech side of the line.

For a power ring, which is the equivalent of a multi function super computer itself, interfacing with something like that, or even copying it, with some effort, shouldn't be too difficult. The powers already interface with each other quite a bit under normal circumstances, so recognizing those channels and taking advantage of them would be the goal.

Now, with magic/divinity/random bullshit powers, it's really hard to define what exactly sets them apart from crazy super science, which in stories, can often do the same sort of feats. One approach would be optimization. The kind of powers that I've just mentioned lean on some kind of mystical aspect of the world to function. In DC, they can all pretty much be tied back to some sort of soul. Instead of requiring a bunch of different components and structures in order to do what they do, these powers offload everything about themselves into the soul. They are so optimized that they require only one component, and no outside observer would be able to determine their function through any means other than trial and error. Of course, technology can reach such a point as well, and that's where the line gets wavy again.

This has been my random ramblings on how I think fictional power systems should be catagorized. Take from it what you will.

18. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

Fair enough. Most of the backstory I am drawing upon is from the 2 novels: Exile and Exodus I believe they were called.

The consequence of the dark energon was that it was corrupting all of Cybertron so they had tp shut down the core or risk losing everything. This meant a long time to wait and in the meantime Cyberyron became a dead world.

The Autobots then attempted to leave. The Decepticons then chased after them. And then they destabilized multiple governments on the colonies.

But fair enough if you have only seen the cartoon. Personally I have no issue with using only that as "primary canon" and then filling in the gaps with modified Aligned canon. That is basically what you do with YJ already. Stick yo canon for S1 and S2 and fill in the rest where it fits or make it up.

It has been a while since I watched Prime but I remember that Cyberyron was dead because Optimus shut down the core to keep it safe. Especially since thw war devestated the planet.

Also that as of episode 3, Megatron had already used a massive shard of dark energon to corrupt cybertron and make a zombie army.

Megatron certainly started off with noble intentions, but went way off the deep end long before the war left Cybertron. And certainly by the time it came to Earth he was definitely gone.

19. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

Another interesting part of Aligned continuity is that Optimus wasnt actually just a librarian but a mindwiped member of the Thirteen Primes. After their version of satan betrayed them. Nova wasnt a true Prime.

Of course yhe history of the 13 is always kind of sketchy since supposedly they are unique across the multiverse families, which doesnt really work for a bunch of reasons.

Man this is really making me reminisce. I used to really be into transformers. The UK comics had some pretty good sci fi. Plus actual progression driven by the fact they qere selling toys.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  20. Assblaster5000

Spot on about how Shards work from what I know, but how intelligent they (and Entities for that matter) are is a bit debatable without WOG on the matter, which I've sadly got nothing on for this particular topic.

They seem to operate with some kind of driving will and agency at times, but that could just be them possessing a lot of very advanced code that makes it look like they've got any sort of personal intelligence.

But the main issue with the hacking is that the Shards are in other universes, so, while they do send signals out, how viable it is for a beginning Paul to detect, access, and then hijack those transmissions for his own purposes is up in the air since at least most versions don't start with the ability to scan for an extradimensional anything from what I recall. An actual hack could likely be done by a Power Ring with relative ease though given the likely gap between Entity and Malthusian technology. Baring them being weird, crystalline meat getting in the way at least.

The real issue is Zion potentially noticing that part of its brain was just taken over. Or some maybe spoilers that could very well not be true about Eden.

Edit:But this has gotten pretty off topic, so if you have anything else to say on the subject it's probably best put in DMs or the like. Maybe wait for another Worm segment if that ever happens.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There was the version that ended up in the Stargirl universe and got Alan Scott's ring.

Bud-E, Cuchulin and Assblaster5000 like this.
  22. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

So what does 'Crooked Cross' being the title signify? Is it in German just to shout-out that we're dealing with Nazi Earth in the main chapters of the episode, or something more significant?

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

'Crooked Cross' is a reference to the swastika. Specifically, one of the names in German: Krummkreuz. Pretty clear guess OL will be dealing with the Reichsmen, maybe his alternate, and likely encountering the Freedom Fighters.

24. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I actually misunderstood (maybe because of the late threadmarking) and thought Krummkreuz was being used to title the Transformers segment, but I now see that's called 'Plus Two'. I was just confused over that but now it makes way more sense.

I don't know what happened to Freeman's power ring but I hope Paragon helps him recover it or gives him some gear or something.

Thinking about alternate selves, is Blue Lantern Paul going to show up again at any point? I'm actually completely blanking on whether he was there at the Crisis of Infinite Pauls or not, when I remember Red, Indigo and Black being quite prominent.

Zelnik and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Overman mentioned that it was confiscated. They did some tests and found that it affected the mind of whoever wears it, so it's most likely in a secure facility.

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  26. Threadmarks: Krummkreuz (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

16th September 2012
    15:07 GMT -5

A shocked face looks up from where its owner is prostrate on the floor, his Superman-themed robes matching those worn by Wolf Krieger on the other side. There are other cultists.. around, but none of them appear to be participating in the ritual.

"Is something-?"

Killing the ritualist has a chance of keeping the portal open and I need it closed now. Sander constructs slash out, scouring the blood-daubed walls free of runic inscriptions as I fire a pulse of orange light at the open portal itself.

There's a… Smell of sulphur and a momentary sensation of pulling, pulling at my internal organs… And then it's gone, and the room is just a room.

"Heretic!"

The ritualist leaps to his feet, his youth making him look a little ridiculous even as his hands glow a sort of purple-red.

"Blasphemer! I will cast-."

A pithing needle construct hits him in the back of the neck, causing his body to jerk and the glow around his hands to fade. Wasn't completely sure that would work as magic is the province of the soul, but I assume that what he does has somatic elements.

Okay, got a bit more time. Ring?

Standing by.

Drain magic.

Orange light flashes in his eyes and flickers around his skin. There's no further source of demonic-

A hail of bullets rattle off my environmental shield, prompting me to erect construct shields around the two of us.

-power other than in this parallel, where it should be a little less freely available. I'm not seeing any runes or sacrificial areas that could be used to open up a portal to the local Hell, and from what Wolf was saying that would be contrary to their intent anyway.

Ring, any trouble digesting the demonic magic?

Energy conversion efficiency low. Process in progress.

I suppose that's the most I can ask for. The cultists attempt another volley, but give up when it clearly doesn't work. They then make way for another of their number carrying an oxyacetylene torch. Which won't work, but I'm mildly impressed by how rational a move it is.

Ring, can we fix his face?

Confirmed. Reconstruction in progress.

Good, and-. Really? Ugh, remove the brands as well.

Compliance.

The torch flares into life as I feel the last of the demonic magic drain from whoever this is. I take one of Wallace's healing potions out of subspace… Yes, looks to be in reasonable condition. I pour it down the boy's throat. That much demonic magic isn't good for a person, but I need to know if it's a survivable experience with moderate intervention. With the potion bottle empty I remove the pithing needle and let him collapse into a construct stretcher.

Nazi Earth. Who do I know here who's even remotely someone I want as my first point of contact? With Overman gone, none of the other Reichmen really struck me as reasonable people. But Angelika spent more of her time with her own team, and…

Well, she's not an objective judge of character, but she talked about them more and I'm confident that I could more easily convince them that I do actually know her. So her team are a better choice, and once I've talked them around I can get them to talk to the Reichsmen. I know what Baroness Reiter's favourite food is. What her favourite film is. About that time Otto Arnold started trying to come up with an actual catchphrase for himself.

I don't know their phone numbers or anything like that, but Axis Germania operate out of Wewelsburg so finding them will be pretty easy once I get out of here.

I extend orange filaments and send the oxyacetylene torch into subspace before shock crowning the cultists.

Okay, the local police are likely to be national socialists and know nothing about magic. There's very little chance that they'll accept what I say about mind control magic… Darn it. I'm going to have to imprison them here -wherever here is- and hope I can talk them into sparing the cultists.

"Sorry about this."

Now, chaining people to walls in certain positions can be quite dangerous due to how the human circulatory system works. But I can't risk them killing themselves while I'm away. Alright, manacles around the wrists, with short chains linking them to the bricks in the walls. The chains are long enough to let them sit or stand, but not long enough to reach another cultist. Then I rifle through their robes for anything that could be used as a weapon. Knives, pistols and a few assault rifles vanish into subspace. Ah, manacles for the legs as well, and I think we're done.

Exit is this way, and I'll take summoner boy with me. Scans don't show any other cultists on-site, and it didn't look like any of the other cultists were magic users.

Al… Right, looks like we're in a.. sub-cellar, and… Up the ladder, I'm into the main cellar. Large barrels of wine stand fermenting in rows all around me, the smell of wine permeating the air. There's light through barred windows high up on one wall, but otherwise the place is in the dark. Looks like that barrel is in position to be moved over the hatch. That would stand up to a casual inspection…

But there's no magic detection on this planet. There's nothing in particular to draw attention to here, so a quick search is probably all that they would have to deal with.

There are a pair of wooden doors over there, so I unlock them with a construct key and pull them open. Ah, good, a goods lift to the surface. I fly up the shaft with my cargo, emerging into the open air. Looks like a… Medium sized town in a fairly rural area.

Ring, where are we?

Western Russia.

Not in this universe.

It seems like mid-morning here. Not all that many people around, though I see a few spot me and stare for a few moments before returning to what they were doing. No real alarm. Curiosity. Curious.

Fear there, but-. The man with her points to the stretcher. Right, it's clearly medical, so I'm helping someone.

Ring, plot course to Wewelsburg.

Compliance.

I should probably call ahead a little, but right now I want to fly up out of sight of the ground. Kryptonian aerospace sensors were good, but even assuming that they've implemented a full network I can turn it aside. Once I'm high enough I accelerate, heading into Germany-proper. That could get me in trouble, but even if Germany is the most secure part of the world, they're still using Kryptonian technology. It's nothing I haven't seen bef-.

I'm knocked back as a yellow blur slams into me, environmental shield briefly flaring as I take a… Low to mid power super strength hit. The figure remains a blur, well below Flash speed but fast enough that I'm struggling to track them by eye.

"Baroness, I-."

"I don't care how much Overman likes you, you do not have permission to have that ring, much less fly here."

She's got the sense not to stop moving as I generate construct armour.

"Looks like you will be going back to Leatherwing. So sad. Your column was doing so well."

"This is going to be tiresome."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  27. Vice Xarno

Vice Xarno Versed in the lewd.

He forgot there was another version of himself there didn’t he?

28. Mr Zoat

It's also from a prophecy of Nostradamus, where he made a reference to a crooked cross.

With regard to the shards, it's true that powers don't work away from Earth. But that's because they're programmed not to, not because they can't. It's like how Queen Administrator can do far more than control insects.

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

How many super-Nazis is Paul going to have to take down before they realize this isn't Paul Freeman?

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't bet on that.

Nice to know Freeman is doing good.

I think this should be Paul's catchphrase.