1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Actually, it looks like something went wrong.

You removed the 'd' from the wrong word.

2. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Ah the same thing Twilight Sparkle used to rescue her friebds from Discord's brainwashing.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

[​IMG]

4. DaftTechno

DaftTechno Standard Gamer Metalhead

Think you have that backwards. AFAIK, it should be "current name" née "birth name"

5. Clell65619

Clell65619 Making the rounds.

Knowing nothing of He-Man lore, this is a fun side story. However, I've never seen 'beau' used to describe a woman. It's a term for boyfriend... Or is this yet another inexplicable difference between Brit and US English?

6. Mr Zoat

He doesn't know that.
    Again, it's more that the SI doesn't know that's correct and sees no reason not to use it.

7. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Mr Zoat Is this version of Paul only called Orange Lantern? Does he have a name that people call him in this universe?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  8. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Surely Paul could just taze her and lock her up for a bit, until the party is over and the sorceress comes back? I don't see why he's playing along and taking so many risks.

Bud-E likes this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may not be aware of her full capabilities and powers so he's playing it safe.

Plus he wants her to realize who she is and of she's attacked then she may not wish to cooperate.

10. Mr Zoat

Not reliably. Eternians are really tough. Enough electricity to stun her might only put her down for a few seconds. As much as he could make would risk frying her.

11. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Beau is primarily (if not exclusively) used for men.

It has French roots though so I can understand Paul having his own novel way of using it.

12. Mr Zoat

Well, there's your problem, right there.

13. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

Evelyn has the access to the sword, even with her geass this could be a problem but not beyond repair. Doesn't take much imagination to figure out what the Sorcress and Man at Arms were doing.

I know that Red Lantern Paul is going to have a baby with Blackfire and that Avengers Earth's mightiest heroes Pauls adopts Rogue and I believe that Renegade Paul adopts some girls as well but I don't recall any other Paul having kids though we pretty much always see him find a love interest or at least potential love interest.

Something I've been wondering about the alternate Paul who became The Ancestor, did he die a long time ago or is he immortal and if the latter, did he encounter some historical figures like Niccolo Machiavelli and maybe ensured he got a yellow lantern ring?

I really want to know more about the alternate Pauls, a least a summary of their stories including what we haven't seen.

14. Clell65619

Clell65619 Making the rounds.

Really? That unto itself strikes me as odd, given the vocabulary used by the both of the 'Main' SIs. I'm constantly learning new words from this story. Just a general disinterest in the romantic arts?

ChestBurster and WhiteNoise like this.
  15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Krono doesn't have one, and Saul turned down Auntie Sis' proposition because using the indigo light made him aromantic and/or asexual.

The latest chapter about the Ancestor implies that he's become an immortal who walks the Earth, and possibly beyond, and helps out anyone he comes across. The chapter itself involves a Native American tribe who was tasked with guarding ancient technology made by a precursor civilization.

16. BrotherofaStudio

I forgot about Saul but didn't know about Krono

I actually did read that side story and I suppose it does imply that he is immortal.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Ngamer11 like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Lord Protector Paul, the one with the yellow ring, is probably now a stepfather to two Thundercats.

He's still alive and he may not have helped Machiavelli either because he didn't want to alter history too much or because he couldn't.

Yeah, apparently he did have sex with her but by that point the ring had altered him to such a way that he can't really experience desire or love to a great degree.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Ngamer11 like this.
  18. BrotherofaStudio

Oh yes, I forgot about that Paul.

I suppose it makes sense but I was thinking more along the lines of maybe Machiavelli is still alive but in secret using a yellow lantern because despite what most people think of him, if you really look he was much more of a neutral figure and someone I would be surprised by if Paul were to entrust with a yellow ring.

Thanks for the info, by the way you have a typo.

19. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Why would he have a yellow ring? Where would he have gotten it from? If he had the ability to go around gifting those things, why not set up an organization that does whatever he expects from those that he gives gifts to, but in a more dependable and orderly fashion? That version of Paul seems like he just has immortality, and his ring is out of juice.

ChestBurster and Jaron like this.
  20. BrotherofaStudio

It was more random thought than anything specific, but in regards as to where he might have gotten the yellow ring he could have reached a deal with the guardians of Oa to find a candidate who could use the power of fear wisely. As for whether the Ancestor Version of Paul is out of juice for his ring we don't actually know.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He had a Lantern-like device created using the Dreaming so he can recharge his ring, so he most likely still has power for his ring.

22. BrotherofaStudio

Good point, I forgot that detail.

23. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Something I gotta ask. I am sure it was just a tag line when He-Man was first made, but by now I am sure there's been a number of media to justify it.
    What is a "Master Of The Universe"? What makes one a "Master Of The Universe"? And aren't they stuck on a singular planet? Maybe 2 counting Adora's? Do they control fundamental forces of the universe?
    And what is the magic of Grey Skull? Just the magic housed in the building or is it apart of the universe?

24. Aelyx

Aelyx It is I, Q, who are you?

I've been thinking of something ever since I did a re-read of some of the possession chapters where Paul is joined with the Ophidian and bathes in the Orange Light. What would be the equivalent be for someone who gets absorbed in White Light for too long? Would they somehow attract the attention of the Entity?

25. Mr Zoat

For reasons best know to the Elders, 'Masters of the Universe' is the name for the special forces unit of the city-state of Eternos. They're usually referred to as 'The Masters' in-universe. I have no idea how that name was chosen.
    A powerful repository of raw magical power housed within Castle Grayskull.

26. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

That was a while ago, so most of us (like me) probably only vaguely recall it, or don't remember at all.

Doccer likes this.
  27. Threadmarks: Vantavendi (part 15)
    Mr Zoat

21st October 2012
    13:32 GMT -5

"So we're pretty sure that White Dragon and Vigilante never met each other?"

Marcus types a new search and presses 'enter'.

"So far as I can tell, they never met at our events. Beyond that I could not say." He moves a mouse and highlights other names on the attendee lists. "According to this, there are at least three people who attended meetings at various times with both of them."

"I see that your name is one of them."

He nods. "I try to attend gatherings in as many areas as possible. Given how the Alliance has expanded of late, that is not as great a proportion as it once was."

"Oh? What sort of area do you cover these days?"

"All corners of the world, saving only China. Though finding appropriate partners in all places has proven to be a little difficult, and while the majority of our affiliates are American, we can provide training in almost every country on Earth."

"Oh. I hadn't realised. What's the take-up like outside of the US?"

"It varies a great deal. In Europe we're replicating the model we use in America, though with a little more contact with national governments. South America is… Difficult. Accalacan doesn't have much use for us, and the other nations are experiencing a wave of newly ascendant tyrants who do not wish to be seen to be too closely aligned to foreigners. In Africa, there is a great need but the infrastructure is so poor that we cannot gather enough metahumans together to be truly effective."

"What about magicians?"

"Where would we find tutors, when even the mighty Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps has struggled?" I make an amused 'hm' noise. "When magicians come to us, we are forced to train them as if their abilities were no different from the natural powers of metahumans, and hope that gradual experimentation amongst their own supporters will allow them to gather knowledge. Eventually, we will have a library of sufficient volume that we will be able to provide the answers they seek, but for now…"

"Magic not a big deal in Rome? Or on the virmiru homeworld?"

"In Rome, there were the mysteries revealed to those who gave their lives to the cults of the various gods. As a Christian, I was unconvinced how many were engaged in devilry and how many were simply charlatans. My time amongst the virmiru moderated that view only in that it opened my mind to the possibility that they had access to knowledge of the functions of the natural world that was not widely known."

"And then you came back to this."

"It was not the greatest surprise, but it was noteworthy."

"It's funny; a while ago I mentioned taking this approach to the Justice League. Forming contacts with superheroes across the world and providing direction, a code of conduct…"

"They don’t appear to have made any moves in that direction."

"No. I'm… Sort of used to them ignoring my advice on organisational matters. Though I am pleased that someone's doing it."

"Now you've made me curious. How are the Justice League organised?"

"Rotating chairmanship, everyone votes on major decisions, new recruits need everyone's approval and there's no set criteria."

He gives me a mild frown. "That… Sounds…"

"I know, and I told them that." I shake my head. "They might have changed it since then, I don't know."

"Would you be willing to assist us?"

I shrug. "I move around too much to be involved in an organisation. I could probably build you a few virtual reality training suites if you have a site in mind..?"

"We would appreciate that, but I understand that you were responsible for the Justice League's worldwide training exercise?"

"I was the directing mind, but that took the input of a great many people."

"Could you run an exercise on a smaller scale?"

"Certainly, but the Alliance doesn't have the same degree of official recognition that the Justice League does. It would be a good deal harder to persuade authorities to participate in training exercises; that sort of thing is highly disruptive."

"While it is true that the Alliance does not have the League's mandate, we are beginning to sign cooperation agreements with a number of cities. Even a few countries."

"Then I… Suppose I could commit to one a year? I don't know how you're going to decide who gets it."

"My thought on the subject was that we would form a mobile reserve of volunteers. When there was a surge in crime in a particular area, or a supervillain emerged who was in possession of far more power than the local members could safely engage, we could move our reserve to that location. It would be something like what the Congregation do when they call for aid."

"Sounds like a good idea to me, but Congregationalists can teleport. They can call in aid for a particular fight. A reserve force would take… They'd usually have to get to an airport and fly to wherever they were needed. That could take a day or two, assuming that they didn't need a visa or other travel documentation."

"We're building a teleportation network."

I raise my eyebrows. "You are?"

"My sponsors were familiar with teleportation technology. And while I'm sure that your efforts to sponsor genius technologists who wish to use their intellects commercially are quite helpful, a significant number have offered us their assistance."

"Satellite based? I tried to sell the League on the idea, but they didn't go for it."

"No, transmission towers. They generate a weak quantum entanglement field, allowing us to transport our people to anywhere where the fields intersect. Getting enough towers to cover the world will be the work of decades, but we believe that three will be enough for the United States."

I have… Heard of the technology. It's not popular in most places because the quantum manipulation can interfere with other devices that civilisations advanced enough to build them would be using. But I suppose that's not a problem on Earth. Powering the things might be a problem… Or might have a few years ago. Global energy costs have been slashed as a result of my threat to the energy market. It might actually be viable, though there would be the problem of having infrastructure on Earth where national governments might decide to get in the way.

In terms of effectiveness, the system would be immune to most forms of conventional interference. And since the field is constantly active, it's far easier to conceal its use than the use of other forms of teleportation.

"I'd be interested in-."

My ring blinks.

"Excuse me." I raise my left hand. "Yes?"

Alan's face appears, though he's not looking at the camera.

"Paul, get to Dakota City right now. Avenger's here and she's not playing around."

I nod. "With you in two, one."

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  28. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Is the JL still run like it was before Paul killed Nabu? I would think most of the League would want to at least revisit his complaints after that.

29. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

meeting -> meetings
    delete "much"
    and -> and while

30. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I don't remember the chapter in which OL directs a training exercise. Which was it?
    America
    And while

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022