1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Bullet points. Why?

The answer to the third one is 'yes'. I think the answer to the others is 'no'.

2. Grek

Grek (she/her)

Ms. Caryle -> Ms. Carlyle in one spot that I noticed.

3. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

4. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

In the He-Man universe is Man at Arms Teela's biological father or just adoptive?

ChestBurster and Prince Charon like this.
  5. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

IIRC, Man At Arms is Teela's adoptive father/uncle while her actual father was Fisto.

I can never get over some of these names, holy shit the designers knew exactly what they were doing.

6. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

'He-Paul' ?

No real details other then Keldor getting dead-ish and the others either likewise, or in jail, super ultra mega jail or....I think something was mentioned of 'thrown into a tesseract'?

7. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

In the 2002 series it is implied that Man at Arms is Teela's biological father as well as adoptive but I don't recall it ever being 100% confirmed. For every other universe for all I know it is just Adoptive but I am not the expert.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Threadmarks: Vantavendi (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

21st October 2012
    13:54 GMT -5

"That Alva guy give you any trouble?"

Alan stares morosely at the bottles of liquor lined up on the wall behind the bar, his elbows resting on its surface and his chin resting on his hands. His ring's glow is dim to the point where I can't see his environmental shield.

"No." I pull out the stool next to him and sit down, noting the glass of whisky he has in front of him. "I don't know if that was because none of the local superheroes were with me or if he's more different to Lex Luthor than I've been assuming."

"Mm."

"Though if what Rocket told me is right, I'm surprised that he's still alive. If I'd been going on a murderous rampage I'd have prioritised him above anyone else."

"You... Got any plans to do that..?"

"Do I have plans? Yes."

Alan nods, his gaze still distant. "But you're not thinking about putting them into action right this minute."

"Now you've brought it up I am. But I wasn't, otherwise." I make eye contact with the barwoman, who I'm pleased to see hasn't picked up a camera. "Orange juice for me, please."

A nod, and a quick grab at the under-bar fridge later there's a glass filled with orange juice in front of me. I take a sip.

"Did I-? Did I do it wrong?"

"Not as far as I could tell."

He nods sadly. "Could you see something..?"

"No, sorry. Between the demons in the guns and the blue light, empathic vision wasn't giving me anything useful."

"I figured. But I wanted to ask."

I nod, and take another sip. Time to have another go at convincing Britvic to rerelease Still Tango. Or… I could just buy it. And Ribena and Um Bongo. Or I could just license the old recipes; can't assume that everyone shares my tastes. That would actually-.

"Think of something?"

"Nothing relevant." I shrug. "Are there..? Old drinks from the thirties you miss?"

"They stopped putting cocaine in Coca-Cola before my ma would let me drink it. Twen'ies were a big time for cocktails but I was too young, and there wasn't a lot going on during the Depression." He turns his head just far enough to look at my drink. "What, are they watering your orange juice again?"

"No, just… Thinking about things I used to drink."

"Buying another company?"

"Maybe."

He takes a small sip of his drink, then catches me watching. "You know, I do remember Prohibition. I've known people who ruined their lives with drink. I'm not an alcoholic, but I… I do use alcohol as a… What do you call it? A coping mechanism, sometimes."

"I… Didn't…"

"You don't get on anyone's case about it, but you don't drink at all yourself." He exhales through his nose. "I don't even really need this to steady my nerves, but… God damn. She just shot herself right in front of me."

"Yeah."

"What the heck did she do something like that for, huh?" He shakes his head. "We knew the guns were possessed. She wasn't going to get punished for what they made her do."

"It could have been the guns-."

"It wasn't the guns. I could… I could feel it when I got through to her. She decided to shoot herself."

"We can't know why. She might only have got a moment of freedom and decided that she'd rather stop the guns killing anyone else than take a risk on us being able to free her. Heck… Even if she picked them up willingly to start with, she can't have known what she'd have been driven to."

"Or what?"

"'Or what' what?"

"You're not exactly known for your light-hearted up-beat outlook, Paul."

"It could have been the guns. Sometimes, when demonic creatures get exposed to emotions they can't process, they do uncharacteristic things."

"Like shoot their host."

"Or that might have been her being driven out of her mind by the contrary impulses. Or -given how her body disappeared- she might not actually be dead."

"I saw the back come off her head, Paul. I felt it when her brains sprayed all over the inside of my construct. Then just…" He swirls his glass around. "Poof. Gone."

"I'll try and get hold of Mammon. See if her soul ended up downstairs."

"Yeah. I'm going to finish my drink and then try and work out what the hell happened to make this whole mess happen."

"Alan, I'm kind of a psycho. You're not. I could take people blowing their brains out all over the inside of my construct all day and it wouldn't bother me. You can't, and it would. If you want to knock off early..?"

"I'd rather keep working." He exhales sharply, downs what's left of his whisky and deposits a few dollar bills on the bar. "Even if it's just fetching and carrying, I'd rather have something to focus on. Something to keep me busy."

"If you're sure."

"I may not be an alcoholic, but if you keep using a coping mechanism you can fall into the habit." I nod. "Bet you're impressed I know what a 'coping mechanism' is, aren't you?"

"I assume you and Guy talk about something when I'm not around." I raise my own glass to my lips to finish my drink.

"And don't call yourself a psycho. You're just resilient. Maybe a little callous. But you're not a psycho." He stands, his cape billowing around his bar stool. "Things going well at your end?"

"We're gathering information, certainly." I lower my empty glass and place my payment plus a small tip down next to it. "But since we don't understand why this is happening, we're just acting as drift nets until we get a better idea about what's going on."

"No red flags, then?"

"None so far. A lot about what the Alliance does is odd, but then this life isn't exactly 'normal' to start with."

"I'm not so sure. Diana told me once that back in Ancient Greece they didn’t have any kind of police. If people wanted to keep them and theirs safe then they had to do it themselves."

I nod. "True, mostly."

"Then really, this sort of grass roots thing is a return to form. The unusual thing is people assuming that the police could handle things on their own."

I nod. "There's something to that. Ah, Alan."

"Yeah?"

"If you want to talk about anything, I'm just a ring call away, right?"

"Yeah." He nods, reaching out with his right hand to pat me on the right shoulder. "I know."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  9. Mr Zoat

[​IMG]

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ohh, shit, now I'm worried that he may become an alcoholic.

The guns may have been trying to get her to kill people who could reform or who's actions could lead to a lot of good being done.

Alva probably doesn't fall into either category.

'Now that you've'

'from the thirties'

'I've known'

To be fair, a person blowing a hole through their head isn't a permanent thing in your universe.

No shit.

He's a bit of a psycho.

11. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Aww, that violet between them was wholesome.

I think Alan has nothing to blame himself for. I think he gave her the hope of being free from the guns and she took it.

ChestBurster, Vorian, Jaron and 7 others like this.
  12. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

' reaching '

13. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I can't imagine anyone missing cocktails from the 1920's much, as I understand they were invented largely to cover up just how nasty the booze often tasted what with the raw alcohol and being cut with stuff like formaldehyde.

14. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I see he isn't taking things well. It's probably not the first time he's seen someone die, of course, nor would it be the first he's seen someone commit suicide (Or at least attempt it...) But thinking that he triggered it, that might be weighing on him.

I would assume he's trying to maintain his veneer of innocence. Not that it seems to work too well on the local heroes.

Nah, he'd only do it if he judged it needed.

Would killing Alva right now improve matters for Dakota City? Probably not. Exposing his criminal affairs? That might help things.

No doubt the sort used to make cocktails. Still, any drink is fine. Bet it sounds a bit comedically stereotypical for him, though. :D Orange Juice?

In any other situation, it would probably have ended the fight then and there. :confused: In a good way I mean...

Concerning. Suggests the lady has sunken herself uncomfortably deep into her role. Or the Guns aren't leaving her much freedom to feel.

Ah, the joy of companies 'retiring' flavours you love and no-one else seemed to. I know that feeling with potato crisps (especially tomato sauce-flavoured...:mad: )

Good, distract him from the thoughts of Crimson Avenger.

Yeah, he isn't that old, after all. Being in his nineties would put his childhood in the twenties... Wonder if he was into the pulps? His costume idea had to come form somewhere. :p

Not like he's hurting for money.

You didn't have to say anything, OL. Your face was doing all the talking for you...

To be fair, not everyone likes alcohol.

Would she have known that, though? I mean, I know she was a lawyer. But she may well not have been thinking clearly right then.

Sounds likely, but there's still something else you haven't thought of, isn't there?

Ah, he knows OL so well.

It might not even have been a willing choice on their part. A kill-switch in whatever magical binding is on the Guns, to prevent capture and destruction. A safety release for the host to use if they can't feasibly complete a 'contract'...

On the other hand, she still feels the pain of dying. Just as much as she feels her contractee's pain when it forms.

Maybe checking on the origin of the Guns, too? That's still a dangling loose end.

Don't forget, OL, he still has a big mass of Will in there. He's not quitting until this is done.

And if nothing else, a Lantern is very good at heavy lifting.

And if the Guardians should take note of how well Hope and Will work together... Well, all the better. Perhaps one day there'll be a Blue Corps for Alan to serve in...

Quite literally trawling through the sea of data that is the Alliance, eh? Seeing what gets caught in the net? Sometimes the biggest things start out that way.

For a modern person, probably.

The closest thing they'd have is a rich landowner's personal guards, I suspect. Otherwise, if a bandit group showed up to a small farm, well... It came with a death sentence for a reason.

And when the criminals are running around with sci-fi weapons or enhanced physiognomy, normal cops can't do much anyway...

Like the son he never had. Well, in this universe, at least.

So, Zatara didn't have something waiting in the wings to capture Crimson Avenger, eh? Not this time, at least. With any luck, the next time they spot her, they might be better equipped to take her alive. If nothing else, they'll know to prevent her lining up a shot on herself too. Still, she could do a lot of damage before she goes big again...

15. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Resilient, and probably a bit prideful about it as well. After all, if he's going to want to be a resilient person, it'll be because he thinks that's the best sort of person for him to be.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Ngamer11 like this.
  16. TodaBruh

TodaBruh Fiction is life's spice <( ̄︶ ̄)↗

Dawwwwwwwww!

17. Liquid Night

Liquid Night Getting sticky.

Maaan, Alan is definitely best bro. Wish he got a bit more screen time.

0zymandias, ChestBurster and Bud-E like this.
  18. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

The comics make it even better really.

ChestBurster and Bramble Thorn like this.
  19. Liquid Night

Liquid Night Getting sticky.

...the fuck did I just watch?
    Mr Zoat, if you have any context, I'd love to know it. The Tango ad, in particular, was... interesting.

20. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I bet they just told the actor the character's name, and his grin didn't leave from that moment until they finished Revenge of the Sith.

21. Mr Zoat

I think that's alright.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Tango was a brand known for crazy adverts. Try watching some of the rest.

22. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

A fan hypothesi is that Fisto was gay and the whole adoptive father thing was a cover because Ethernia is very traditional and Man-At-Arms and the Sorceress had an affair but didn't marry because if they did their daughter would be a target.

In other words, it was a way to have a child of an unmarried woman in a children's cartoon.

23. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

"P-Man", surely?

24. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Unlikely, even if it was the wizard would need to construct such an emanation and make it more potent than the emenations of hell itself to really have a significant impact, and keep itupall the time.

25. Bud-E

I always assumed the way it works was the Danner formula altered the biology of the person to allow them to perform super-human feats. The only energy needed was the energy to create the formula and implement the changes once injected into a person. So it's less like the Garrik formula making them draw energy from the Speed Force more a magic super drug that makes the person invulnerable/super-strong. Though I could be wrong tbh.

26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Remember, this was made with help from some unknown person/being. Paul thought of it possibly being a New God, but had no way to investigate further. I wonder if this will ever come back up?

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  27. Bud-E

I don't remember that. When was that said?
    BTW does anyone know what vantavendi means? I've googled it and just got this fanfic as a result.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I don't remember when, but Paul was speculating on how the Danner Formula could have been created and thought it might have been developed by a New God. As for the title, Mr Zoat says it means
    Though he didn't say in what language.

ChestBurster and Bud-E like this.
  29. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In the comics, which Zoat isn't really following much I admit, the Danner enhanciles get stronger with age.

Iron Monroe, in the prime of his life, was weaker than his father who looked like this [​IMG]

While Iron was in turn stronger than the Sons of Dawn because they were enhanced with an inferior version of the formula made with substitutions Hugo could find in the Amazon rainforest instead of an American lab.

30. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

And now those substitutions will be provided by a nature goddess.