1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

If the Muses don't show up as a back-up Chorus to Paragon's singing, I will be gravely disappointed.

I wonder if conceptually Hephaestus can reclaim his hammer if he argues it's a tool, not a weapon, and that progress requires discarding the old inefficient structures of the world- reframing the fight as a technological process of sorts rather than a battle- a bit like a rhetorical argument made literal with metaphysical concepts.

Speaking of rhetoric, I'd have expected all the godly-related italics to be in Invisible God-Speech, unless there's a Word of Zoat that I missed about it. If Diana's lasso can say 'Truth' in invisi-speech, I feel like the machinations of these Old Gods (though I guess Hephaestean is funnily enough a new Old God) should have the same effect.

If Zeus is overthrown, what will the implications be for his counterpart Jupiter? I assume he can't/won't intervene, but his reaction should be a consideration, I think. Athena's on the hopefully-winning side though, so I'm sure there's a plan if that would become an issue. (I personally don't care for the whole splitting Greek and Roman gods into completely separate beings as a concept, but I know canon isn't on my side).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
  2. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Can't help but wonder if they consulted Sivanna on weapons design for this.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  3. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Tools of genocide are definitely weapons. If you can kill the Citadelians with it, you've baptized it well enough for Ares to do what he wishes with it.

4. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

The reason that the godspeech isn't invisible is because Paul has stepped bodily into the godrealm. It's all invisitext, and he's playing with the revealer on, so it's all normal.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    I think I've been consistent about this.
    Haft, though shaft would work as well.
    If I fix it before you post then it doesn't count.
    I think you mean Hippolyta.
    Several years at least.
    Jerks awake, sees that nothing is happening, goes back to sleep.

6. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘men’ I think, though I’m not familiar with the lyrics.

Can someone explain what this means to me?

I would’ve thought an enlightened Waaagh user would act like a krork. Or do you not believe in them, since they’re new?

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Nope, I was talking about his other daughter

She's the only one we've see use divine abilities.

It means that Ares is looking at both Paul and the Ophidian and that Paul is probably going to get rid of Ares.

8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

No, he means Astarte, former leader of the Citizenry in the Renegade timeline. She was able to summon Barda's Mega-Rod to her hand after she beat Barda in combat, if I remember correctly.

9. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Oh, I get it now. I was confused about the war god part, but your post reminded me that Athena is a war god. I thought that maybe it was saying Ares wanted to attack Paul to remove competition, so I was wondering how Paul became a war god without me noticing.

10. Achillesaurus

Achillesaurus Making the rounds.

The purpose of War is to change a status quo, and there are less violent ways to do so especially in the modern era. If Eris shows up to help Hephaestean she may be able to relieve Ares of his seat at the big god's table and claim it for herself.

11. AR760

AR760 Experienced.

I...what the heck was up with the singing during such a dangerous and important moment? I mean, not only does if feel out of nowhere, but the inclusion of singing honestly feels like it takes something away from the significance of the moment imo.

Especially with the degree of buildup and foreshadowing which has led to the moment in question.

The link didn't show up when I first loaded the page either so I was admittedly confused at first when random lines from Paul got interspersed in the scene. Broke the hell out of my immersion lmao.

I'm shocked Hephaestan is capable of seemingly fighting so evenly with Zeus. Even for as long as he has.

I mean combat has never really been Hephaestus's thing, meanwhile in mythology Zeus has an abundance of feats ascribed to him in that sphere.

Moreover Zeus has had eons to adapt and integrate the powers of the Titans he is tapping into, as well as develop his skills and control wielding it, meanwhile Heph is incredibly new to having that level of power, but not himself.

And it would be strange given previous Olympian rebellions and cross-pantheon interactions and the Gigantomancy that Zeus would be unfamiliar with metaphysical beings fucking with his mojo.

Now their methods may have been more Arcane than tech based, but the underlying principles would be something you would think would inoculate him from being too surprised or stunned.

I do have a question for anyone who wants to answer though. Why exactly is Hephaestus so pissed off at Ares when Aphrodite, his wife was the one who decided to cheat and continue along with the affair. I mean, if anything, wouldn't she hold the majority of the blame given that she herself was the one in the relationship with Ares?

12. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Directly clashing with someone backed by the Ophidian when it comes to ownership of somethimg in that person's possession? That hardly seems like a winning tactic, Vae. Plus, Ares isn't just a war god. He embodies certain aspects of war. I expect most of his godly mojo will resonate more with increasing his own capabilities and increasing the blood & chaos on the battlefield than stealing other people's weapons. Well, at least now that he's already armed.

It's also the product of some of the most advanced technology in the universe which puts it under Hepestian's authority and belongs to OL which puts it under the Ophidian's authority. I don't think it's conceptually defenseless.

A hammer is a potent symbol for a god of the forge, but not as much of a symbol for a god of technology. Plus, since he's moving onto a new role it could be beneficial for him to lose that symbol of his past nature.

kerleth, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  13. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

This got me thinking about how the Save icon for most common user interfaces is still the floppy disk, even though the actual object is obsolete.
    Since 40K exists in this world, maybe Paragon's references to mechadendrites (both in relation to Io earlier, and Hephaesteon now) means his new symbol will more or less resemble the Adeptus Mechanicus sigil (if that leads to Games Workshop suing a god in court or something, that would be fun). I don't actually think that's the case, but it's fun to imagine.

kerleth, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    He thinks that Athena can cover the domain without Ares. She can't, actually, but he doesn't know that.
    Brain Boys were mentioned in 2nd Edition. They're not new.

15. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Nice fight scene. Shame about the singing.

Chaoswind and Xelloss like this.
  16. AR760

AR760 Experienced.

If you believe the wikipedia articles there arguably shouldn't be a DC Jupiter or even a Roman Pantheon at all at this point depending on how you're integrating the source material. The pantheons were originally separated due to the fuck fuck antics of Darkseid, only for them to be be reunited later on, which should have happened by this point in the timeline.

Wonder Woman (Volume 2) #130

Wonder Woman (vol. 2) #131–133

17. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

I mean.... we've got pretty clear evidence that isn't the case here.

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

All Hepheastus would have to do is to promise to divorce Aphrodite and Ares would switch sides.

I second the motion of the Muses showing up and beatboxing in the background tjough.

ChestBurster, kerleth, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  19. AR760

AR760 Experienced.

I wasn't trying to deny that, haha. That does appear to be the case.

But I was more replying to Dr.Thoth mentioning their disinterest in the Greek Roman divide as a concept by sharing that it eventually was no longer a thing. And that offhand I could not remember how Zoat was planning on or already had integrated this portion of the continuity into the story.

Ardy and DrThoth like this.
  20. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Would you call a gas chamber a weapon? or the cold?

Replying to Vaermina

Wouldn't that make him the god of basically everything? water, fire, lightning, magic, cars, horses etc?

Ardy and Jaron like this.
  21. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I doubt it will be that easy to get Ares to switch sides. Does Ares even want to marry Aphrodite? And Hephestus' main reason for doing this was to get revenge against Ares so I doubt he'll drop it now.

kerleth, Ardy, DrThoth and 1 other person like this.
  22. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I guess I was just thinking about how they got massively fleshed out relatively recently, like with The Beast Arises.

23. Mr Zoat

I am, naturally, rejecting supersized orks in the same breath with which I reject supersized primarchs.

24. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

As I understand, Paul does not actually need the rings to manipulate the orange light anymore. He is a being made of light just like Alan, but with more self awareness. The rings serve as a conduit to access Best Snek's power without needing to fully merge & also provide AI support for complex actions.

And the Ophidian is basically 1 tier above a Titan. The light Entities & Titans are both manifestations concepts, it just happens that the Entities happened to be the first Titans to form, and so took up slots as sort of fundamental pillars of the universe which lets them survive the Guardians shackling of magic because they are more "real"

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zeus may be out of practice in the fighting department and the reason he may not be so good at integrating the powers is because he never bothered to practice it since there may not have been much of a need for him to do that in the past.

Plus it's possible that all those rebellions never happened in this story.

I doubt that Ares cares about Aphrodite being married.

Paul still needs his rings to do a lot of things and I don't think the Guardians shackled magic in this story.

Ardy likes this.
  26. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

Yeah, when a sovereign does that, it's a bad sign.

Oh this will be good

A sure sign that a rebellion must occur.

That describes Zeus quite well.

Obvious solution and he's had it coming for a LONG time

Well said, it's about time someone said this to Zeus' face.

Oops, completely forgot about Ares.

Uh Oh, I hope Paul has a plan for this.

27. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

as

desires that are
    desire that is

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  29. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I don't understand this line.
    What's Gar?
    Eris is Zeus daughter (and full sister of Area and Hephaestus) here instead of being one of Nyx's get?

Or is she, in some weird way, both?

Ardy likes this.
  30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He's talking about Cassandra "Cassie" Sandsmark, the future Wonder Girl.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.