1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Yeah because Christians have never stole stuff from other religions... come on, even the Simpsons made fun of that!

2. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

I meant that it would be silly, because if the villain had the power and cunning to dethrone Zeus, he probably could have beat Shazam without even doing the first step. Silly, but potentially fun.

3. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

The Cross of St Peter as a symbol predates Christians meeting the Norse by centuries.

Lord Ernest likes this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Green Arrow was the one that told him.

And it's possible that he told him way before any of this Zeus business.

Yeah, not the best thing.

That's saud he did, but maybe Zeus gave him another punishment.

Heck, he may even be unable to do if his other name has some mystical components.

I think Zoat changed it in this story so that Althouse bad stories about her were just stories told by the descendants of Herakles.

5. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Direct contact, but Germanic peoples had contact with and had converted to Christianity centuries before that. Also, I doubt that the symbols that look like Thor's Hammer or the Cross of St Peter are rare. A Labrys pendant that hangs head down could also look a lot either of those.

Prince Charon likes this.
  6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You know what would be neet?

If what we saw was Hephaestus starting down the path to going full on "people are just replaceable cogs to the great machine" and like a year from now LePaul has to hunt down and return Zeus to power because he's the only one with an actual shot at doing it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. RichardWhereat

Yes, I know. Probably one of the few things I dislike about this story. Zoat whitewashes a child murderer/attempted child murderer, but keeps the dirt on Zeus and Apollon.

Yeah, it is an extremely common and simple geometric symbol.

Vorian, Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Zoat had to.

Because if he didn't whitewash Hera, then LePaul would have been in the wrong for helping her.

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

Eh, it was new to me. Yesterday was the start of a major holiday called Pesach that kept me away from the computer for ages. Alas.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  10. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Also, Nordo-Germanic pendants that look a hell of a lot like the later Thor's Hammer pendents date from something like the Bronze Age. Admittedly, I think part of the problem is that some of the people in this thread are assuming that the Mjolnir pendents all look like the Cross of St. Petrus, when really only some of them do, and others (possibly most of them) just look like an upside-down hammer.

11. Threadmarks: Regnancy (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Regnancy

28th October 2012
    09:15 GMT -5

"U-um."

"Oh." He looks at me uncomfortably. "Did you..? Do something?"

"Yesss. Yes, I did. Ah, how quickly do you need to change back?"

"I got school tomorrow? W-? Why?"

"The fastest way to turn you back would probably be to get Adom or Osiris-. What's happening with Lieutenant Marvel and Mary Marvel?"

"Mary's stuck in normal mode." He shrugs. "Freddy's still in bed. I mean, it is a Sunday. But you think Amon could transform us?"

"Maybe? I've never tried studying the spell that transforms you. I didn't even know you'd.. be affected like this."

"Oh, ah, yeah, the Wizard says you're not allowed to study the spell. Ah, or anyone else. I think he… I think he thinks you're a bad influence."

"Yeah, that's… That's fair. Of course, since I haven't studied the spell, and since Adom and Amon use different gods, it might just not work."

His eyes narrow suspiciously. "Did you..? Do something to Zeus?"

"He's not.. dead or anything. Just… Feeling a little under the weather."

"Isn't he the God of Weather?"

"No, the-. It's a metaphor. The point is, they might not be able to turn you back, so we might need to work out something else. Has the Wizard said anything?"

William looks away awkwardly. "See, Zeus's Power is how I visit him, so I can't really get there right now?"

"Darn it. Um, okay. How does the… Sponsoring you thing work?"

"Oh, the Wizard handles all of that. I've never even met any of them."

"Okay. So… Zeus lost his link to the titans in Tartarus, but he kept his own-."

Or did he? What exactly did Hephaestaean take away when he cast him out? And he… Didn't give it to someone else. He just locked it away from Zeus. So… A lightning bolt. The Cyclopes, perhaps? Or just ask Hephaestaean to arrange for a substitute until Zeus sorts himself out.

"If Zeus is unavailable, do you have any preference as to who substitutes for him?"

"I guess… As long as it works. I just got kinda used to saying 'Shazam'. And shouldn't we try using Amon's lightning first?"

"That will turn you back into William Batson so you can go to school tomorrow. But-."

"But I can't just get them to transform me whenever I need to transform." He nods. "Billy doesn't need to do anything today, so I can just come-." He realises something. "Do you need to do something else today?"

"Explain to Batman why I thought overthrowing Zeus was a good idea, but I'm happy to put that off for a few hours." Hm. "Have you ever used anything else to transform?"

"One time, Freddy transformed me by saying 'Shazam' and dodging out the way so the lightning bolt hit me instead. Oh, hey." He smiles. "Shazam. Shazam! Shazaaaaaaam."

I look at him in confusion for a moment.

He shrugs. "I can say it without transforming. I haven't been able to do that for a while."

"Does the word 'Shazam' come up a lot in conversation?"

"It didn't, and then I couldn't say it?"

I nod. "I understand. Okay, let's try…" I raise my left hand to my mouth. "Orange Lantern to Osiris. Orange Lantern to Osiris. Come-."

"Osiris here! Am I late already?"

"No, no. Captain Marvel has a problem we're hoping that you can help with. Could you-?"

"Recognized, Osiris, B One Nine."

Amon flies out of the zeta tube the moment the lights dim, smiling enthusiastically. "How may I help?"

"Hey, Osiris! I'm having trouble transforming right now, and I'm hoping that your lightning can do it."

"You want me to hit you with my lightning?" William nods. "Okay, I-." His head jerks slightly. "Ah. Lord Zehuti says that he doesn't think it works like that."

William nods. "We figured it might not, but it worked with Lieutenant Marvel so I'm hoping it will work with you."

"Before we… Do anything. Amon, have you noticed your powers working differently in the last few hours?"

He blurs up to the ceiling and then slowly flies down. He looks around, then closes his eyes and concentrates for a moment, listening and… smelling.

"No." He opens his eyes, shaking his head. "Everything feels the same."

"Good show. Captain, if… This turns out to hit you like normal lightning, will it..? Hurt you?"

"Yeah, but not too bad." He nods. "I'll be okay."

"Right then." Construct armour, bubble shield and retreat back a small way. "Go ahead."

Amon floats up to William and puts his right hand on his left shoulder. "Are you prepared?"

William nods. "Uh-huh."

"Teth Adom!"

Lightning flashes from nowhere and Amon drops to the ground, having taken the precaution of wearing a copy of his costume on his normal body. William-.

"Ow." Smoke rises off his still-adult body, and he takes a moment to look at his arms. "Oh."

"Okay, that's slightly more of a problem. Do you think the Wizard would be alright with Amon visiting the Rock of Eternity?"

"Ah." He brushes some fragments of ash off his costume. "That should be okay. Un-less… You haven't..? Done anything to Solomon, right?"

"No, and I have no plans to."

"So it should be okay." He turns to Amon. "I can show you where to go."

Amon nods. "I would like to meet the Wizard who murdered my brother."

"And while you're doing that I'll see if I can find out what happened to Zeus's lightning. Ring, find Zeus."

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He has a point.

'why I thought'

I'm sure you are.

Probably not, seeing as Amon works with Adom.

Yep.

I wonder what Solomon's been up to.

Still killing people for justice?

I'm betting he'll be in a sorority or a fraternity.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat, in the spoiler box for this episode the number for every chapter has a link to this chapter.

14. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oh yeah, let's go see the great and powerful wizard who hates the guy Anon is mystically linked to. I'm sure nothing will go wrong.

15. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

I doubt Zeus has had time to do anything too stupid since being sent to Earth "Trials of Apollo" style. But I also feel like he's going to be obtuse when it comes to helping Paul with anything.

16. RichardWhereat

The main reason why renaming Captain Marvel, Shazam, was a dumbass decision.

17. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In some stories just being hit by regular old lightning will transform Billy back to normal, such as Billy from the Flashpoint movie.

Or here [​IMG]

Sometimes it does nothing because he's invulnerable.

Honestly I kind of like the electricity vulnerability. Superman has magic, red sunlight, and kryptonite, MM has fire (or heat in YJ), WW has had a weakness to piercing and slashing attacks for most of her career, why not electricity for Captain Marvel?

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

19. RichardWhereat

Amon's brother? As in brother in law? Or am I missing something?

Because the old noggin runs on electricity.

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You're still not explaining how Hephaestus just randomly gained the ability to do something Hecate said was impossible.

No, and he shouldn't be able to since he uses the same power as Teth Adam, who was very specifically locked out by the wizard.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, boy howdy, did he ever do something, Billy-boy... OL's got a hell of a lot of explaining to do ahead of him. Not just to the league, but to folks like Billy, who use Zeus' power. ...Food for thought: How would Dana Dearden be affected by this, since she's in an alternate future timeline that likely doesn't have a dethroned Zeus.?

Well, that's a heck of a time limit to sort this out. roughly 22 hours, assuming Billy wants to shower in his civvy form before school once this is sorted out.

Well, at least it's only Billy facing issues with his secret identity.

Again: "That's fair." I don't doubt the Wizard has very sharp opinions about OL and his deeds.

At least he's self-aware about it. And accepting of that opinion. How many DC heroes would say the same if someone said that about them?

:rolleyes: Booo, OL. Save the Dad jokes for when you're actually a father...

I bet he's panicking a little at the sudden shift in his powerbase...

Like Billy's ever thought about it? He's ten, Wisdom of Solomon aside. Logistics is not his strong point. :p

Hold on. How was this accomplished, again? Did anyone think to double-check that?

Hephaestaean probably has enough authority as King now to force Zeus to maintain his obligations. But that would have its own consequences, i bet.

On the other hand, if the removal of Zeus' support has removed your resistance to electrical damage... The Stamina of Atlas will only go so far.

How considerate of Billy. Though I fear for Bruce's blood pressure when he hears about this.

...Really? The Wizard didn't think to add an 'intent clause' to the transformation phrase? Lazy ass.

Only in superheroic circles, I suspect.

Best to get things started now. Time is of the essence.

And boy, does that sound wrong, if you look at it the right way.

Swiftness of Heru for the win.

Ha! Joy of a God of Magic providing your Wisdom. :D Clear Word of literal God about spell mechanics and loopholes.

Different pantheon, OL. But work checking, I suppose. Just for completeness' sake. Like the old 'turn it off and back on' trouble-shooting advice.

Thankfully, their powers are relatively easy to test and gauge. Good old FISS package, mental stuff aside.

Well, if you're confident about it. It's your ass that'll be smoking if you're wrong. :oops:

Thanks goodness they don't need open air for this. Would be rough on the old secret identity.

...Because Amon has the same deal as Lieutenant Marvel: He calls the name of his partner rather than the Wizard... Probably makes it hard to talk about him. :p I'm picturing Freddy using nicknames like 'Marvel' or 'The Captain'...

The joy of not physically changing for your transformation. No giveaway to tell the bad guys you're now powerless.

...Well, this could get awkward. Let's hope the Wizard doesn't tar Amon with the crimes of his mentor.

As long as you don't turn left at the second star and head straight. That's completely the wrong alternate dimension.

Bets on the ring not being able to do so?

Well, time to see how well Zeus is taking his sudden disempowerment. Hopefully he's at least patched himself back together. Personally, I picture him having staggered into the nearest bar and drown his sorrows in ouzo (since I doubt they'd have ambrosia.) Which means he's likely in jail, after either a drunken fight or an inability to pay. At any rate, we'll see how willing he is to honour his obligations concerning certain wizards.

"
    Darn it. Um, okay. How does the… Sponsoring you thing work?"
    Double Space.
    "Explain to Batman why I thought overthrowing Zeus was a good idea...

23. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Well, the gods granting Billy's powers did change in the comics. Let me check...
    So, the wizard has a plan for that.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  24. RichardWhereat

And it'll be good to see what god Zoat chooses to replace Zeus with a Z.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Even if she loses the Zeus powers, she may still have the other ones.

Unless he just refers to him as Teth or Adom.

Plus Amon has the Danner Formula treatment, so even without divine power he should be fine.

26. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Wait, do you mean Amon or did Adom just show up there and no one commented on it?

27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Amon was previously unable to actually hear Zehuti speak to him. When did that change?

28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Zeus probably lives like in the car commercial, just without Hera.

Dana Dearden must have lost her power to, unless she brought a spare Zeus back in time.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Mr Zoat

The date hasn't changed.
    Thank you, corrected.

30. Tbryan

Tbryan Know what you're doing yet?

I'm pretty sure Blaze know how to modify the Shazam spell, why not ask her?