1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I don't remember what kaahuite is. Can you remind us Mr Zoat?

An old but useful trick. Sometimes, you don't have to do anything particularly clever or complicated to take down a powerful foe, you just have to do something a little unexpected.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"not too long"

"to the rim"

I know you said you may not kill anyone here because of mind control issues, but i really hope this racist shot bag dies.

"too much"

Hmm, seeing that this place is symbolism, this could be a reflection of the Badlands trying to undermine and corrupt left-leaning politics.

And it would fit Smiley since he dislikes change and the left typically us all for change.

"have him beat"

"shouldn't"

And it's not like that stopped you before.

Yea, he mentioned why fix something that isn't broken.

3. Coltsguy

Coltsguy Colts fan. Anime fan. Breast and back fan.

I should not enjoy this sentence as much as I am.

4. 9adam4

9adam4 No emotion, only "peace"

But it's a different island than Great Britain. So "The Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland" is not redundant.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Sure is lucky the ring drain stopped immediately after he asked this. Because otherwise with the rate it was going down he would be at negative ring change by the time he freed Uncle Sam.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  6. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Them's fighting words.

7. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Also kind of want to say that technically slavery is still legal in the United States. You can be made a slave as punishment for a crime. But talking about how we use prison labor would probably violate the rules.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Amrynel and 18 others like this.
  8. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I'm sure he has many things he considers jokes. Basic human rights, freedom, racial equality... All the good things that the real Sam would be fighting for. Which is going to make his eventual defeat all the sweeter.

Impressive, that the Smiling Git actually thinks that highly of OL. Seeing in him a worthy opponent, perhaps?

No doubt wondering if he can get away with breaking you.

Ah... Darko did indeed call it! Because, folks, that motif...

...Is representative of the Confederate States of America, rather than the United States.

And of course he's as racist as he was a hundred and fifty years earlier. :oops: Pity any discussion of that would probably run headlong into Rule 8, screaming madly all the way...

On the upside, he does seem to love the sound of his own voice, so he's bound to let something important slip while he monologues.

Oh, right. Because those aren't attached to the battleship guns.

A reference to OL's rather eclectic family lineage, from a number of European nations, huh? Ah, right. Gypsy blood in the family tree, as OL told his Earth-10 acquaintances. To someone as... Old-fashioned as Johnny here is, that even 1/16th means a hell of a lot.

A good Lantern doesn't need to move to win a fight, after all. And OL is certainly well past good.

Leaving just the energy drain and whatever Johnny-boy wants to do to you as the only real threats.

Brought down to earth, eh? No doubt Johnny thinks you're on your last legs.

Of course, he's going to be in for a shock once you get rolling.

Heh. Been a while since we saw him employ the old 'filaments through the presumably solid terrain' trick.

Ouch. Not a pleasant speed.

Because Johnny wouldn't have been using it for a throne, nor have the Brass plugged into it, if there weren't something of significance there.

Goddamit, now I'm picturing them more like the videogame Worms characters. Except... :sneaky: Eviiiil.

...Well, guess that answers the question of where he's been. Presumably Johnny and the Yellow-faced Asshole nobbled him during a moment of weakness in the Seventies...

Because whatever they're pumping into him, it can't be anything good.

I hope that armour is rated for extreme temperatures. Then again, this might well be magical conceptual bullshit that can bypass any mundane protection.

Thank goodness for that. Handy for making sure they don't see anything they shouldn't, but not great for having them be on watch.

A for America, of course! And no doubt boiling hot with the fires of freedom. Kaahuite, by way of a quick Google, appears to be an elemental metal inimical to Angelic energies. Presumably to poison him and keep him weakened enough to hold him here...

Part of his soul tattoos, right? Though he was kind of magically drunk for a lot of the process...

Ah, something of a 'Take That!' at the politicking that drove them to secede, eh? Petty and small-minded. He's definitely showing what he's made of, then.

Yes, do blab all your secrets to the fellow you're about to dispose of. So glad this guy has likely never heard of the Evil Overlord's List, if he's aware of the Internet at all, outside of its use as a control medium...

...That kind of makes him expendable, doesn't it? On the upside, destroying him might well make America-16 a better place.

Ooh, dropping a line like that when he thinks he has you beat? Here comes the turnabout.

Bet he's been having all manner of dark, depressing visions while he's been down there. Like, say, the sort seen in the 'U.S.' Comic...

Brave show, but you have got to be running low on charge by now... Best hope Sam gets his striped keister topside right quick...

So, the location of the real Sam is discovered at last. No doubt being used as a battery to power the Brass and empower Johnny Reb (Oh look, another John.) But he's free now, if still ailing a little. So there's a good chance the next few minutes will see him bust out of the memorial, give Johnny Reb and the Brass a good kicking, then perhaps end the former like he did in 'U.S.', blowing him away like dust on a mantelpiece.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

From what I remember, it's a metal that can be found in Hell.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't forget gender equally, religious tolerance, basic decency etc.

Hmm, didn't catch that when he said it; I thought he was talking about his morality.

And to probably corrupt him and by extension the rest of America.

I mentioned previously that since those things are on his left side then Johnny and Smiley may be using it to corrupt left-leaning politics since those are things the both of them would hate.

I don't think long-term planning is his strongest point.

11. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

"You sly dog! You caught me monologuing!"

12. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

remove "get"

Assblaster5000 and Mr Zoat like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, it's like 'Americana ian'.
    Thank you, corrected.
    I'd call it The Confederate States of America. Americans from all over volunteered for either side.

14. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Are we gonna see an Uncle Tom?

Jaron likes this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

It gets described in a few segments. Basically, the place where the First went when God told him to 'get out of my sight' doesn't... Fit with the rest of the universe. A bit like what happened when the Exalted killed the Primordials and found out too late that the universe wasn't coded to cope with that. Kaahuite is stuff that... Accretes around the hole. Demons make their best anti-angel weapons out of it.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Are you Scottish?
    A little while ago I'd have said that it wasn't as long as you talked about it in the historical context, but it turns out that not breaking the rules is no defence.
    Not at all. He believes in full racial equality for Anglo-Saxons, Franks and Danes.
    A reference to what he's told the Nazis he's been working with; that one of his great grandfathers was a gypsy.
    Thank you, corrected.
    How brave do I look?

16. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

...Accurate, but kinda funny. Especially given the Confederate Flags I've seen waved in states like New Jersey and PA.

Very... Goebbels, was it?

Googling Johnny Reb actually just gave me the context of the icon. 'Reb' being short for 'Rebel', as not all rebels and rebellions are good things.

Admittedly half of what I was thinking was 'if Rocket had come along this battle would have gone very differently'. Namely Johnny Reb wouldn't have been able to finish a sentence before getting hit.

It's going to be a long recovery for Uncle Sam- assuming the side effects of the kaahuite can be fully mitigated.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I hope Paul gives her a video of Reb's upcoming beating.

18. Windona

It would make an excellent birthday present.

19. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

So... Johnny Reb is Zoat's creation? And since this is the worst of the American Psyche its the worst of the antebellum south... Or is this just Zoat having far too little understanding of American Civil War.

20. Windona

Johnny Reb was a historical piece of propaganda for the Confederacy ala Uncle Sam. At least according to Wikipedia. So Zoat knew at least one thing about the US Civil War I doubt that most Americans know

21. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Reb

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No, Reb is from the comics.

During the Civil War, Sam was split into two different beings that fought each other.

23. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Ah, good old Johnny Reb.

Kill him, Paul.

That ghost has stalked us for far too long and sadly will continue for quite awhile hence. It grows a bit weaker each day but there's still a lot of work to do.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This will be the second time that Paul would kill a national embodiment connected to horrible things like bigotry and oppression.

25. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

Since it happened more than a twenty years ago, I think I'm allowed to say that all of the antebellum south is part of the worst of the American Psyche without running afoul of Rule 8.

And... Johnny Reb is just the generic name used for Confederate soldiers, similar to G.I. Joe, Tommy Atkins, or Johnny Turk in other conflicts. The Union equivalent was Billy Yank.

Here's the reference to the split in the comics:
    Perhaps of interest is that Uncle Sam is in the select group of people whose memories aren't affected by reality alterations like Crisis on Infinite Earths.

26. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

what is this from?

27. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Hmm. Is it Rule 8 to talk about something that while it is still happening today started long enough ago that it's over the time limit?

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's...complicated.

The mods can sometimes issue warnings even if the subject is over 20 years old.

Prince Charon likes this.
  29. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

I believe it's from the 2008 reboot of "Uncle Sam & the Freedom Fighters." I got it from a synopsis of the character on another website.

I have previously been informed by staff that someone displaying the Confederate Flag as their profile pic was a historical issue not prohibited by Rule 8.

If display of the Confederate Flag is fine, obviously saying "Fuck the Antebellum South. Fuck the Confederacy. Fuck the Confederate Flag." would also similarly be fine.

You know, unless staff are only enforcing Rule 8 based on their personal political beliefs, and I'm sure that would never happen.

30. Windona

We are talking about a comic book character, and as everyone knows superhero comics have never ever in their history been political, right? ;)

Don't see how 'the embodiment of a government that existed to preserve slavery over 150 years ago is a bad guy' would be controversial. Especially if canon.

Seriously though, I can easily see Rocket going "huh this totally makes up for how weird things were with Overgirl. Next time you beat up the embodiment of the CSA make sure to invite me!'