1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Let's see

Original Flavor
    Golden Boy
    Demon
    Quinn
    Until show otherwise assuming New Demon is another
    Kon-stan-tyn distant ancestor who looked just like him and was also a dick (sacrificed one of his children)

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well the Dreaming is a place of great mystical power, so maybe he can get access to that power.

Also it can allow him to protect against demons since Dream isn't exactly fond of them.

3. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

So new theory, Quinn might have taken Demon Constantine from Bell Reave for some unspecified reason and now Quinn or someone else has been impersonating Demon Constantine since we've seen Demon Constantine's pov during this trip we can assume this person truly thinks their Demon Constantine. Fuck this is complicated maybe if Paul talks to new love elemental Chantelle she can maybe clear this up. Knowing Constantine there is also the possibility that he altered her memory or locked her in a closet somewhere and threw away the key.

Cuchulin, Ngamer11 and kerleth like this.
  4. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Will admit I'm rather enjoying the twist here.

Vorian, kerleth and BlueMangoAdea like this.
  5. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

This could maybe be an alternate timeline Demon Constantine? The Crisis Of Infinite Pauls opened up the floodgates for stuff like that, but it's been quite awhile since it happened and we haven't really seen any consequences from it.

6. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Was that the party member from the tutorial that was unkillable because some munchkin abandoned the tutorial with him, considering an immortal lackey would be better rewards than whatever completing the tutorials actual rewards would be?

...all for the low low price of said lackey occasionally/constantly bringing up his dropped quest line.

kerleth likes this.
  7. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

This is the Demon Constantine that was part of the B plot of the episode that dealt with the Soviet speedster program and that dead evil speedster coming back as a demon and possessing Alan's friend Jay Garric or whatever.

That is what the Demon means by Azerbaijan.

Paul got dupped, the demon he was traveling with isn't the original so it's likely another Golem made by Quinn and this whole thing was a trap.

Ngamer11, Bud-E, Vorian and 1 other person like this.
  8. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

If I wasn't lost before... but this is sure turning spicy.

Lord Ernest and Vorian like this.
  9. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Also for the low price of removing a necessary NPC of the tutorial, leading to a bunch of newbs who didn't know how to play the game.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  10. Threadmarks: Tower Offence (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

8th November 2012
    12:21 GMT -5

"Buggered if I know. One moment I'm staring at the wall in Belle Reve, the next I'm being strung up here by John."

I wince. "Given the number of people who could reasonably lay claim to the name 'John' that we're dealing with, could you please specify-?"

"Constantine."

"Did you confirm it was him?"

"What d'you mean 'confirm it was him'? You think I can't recognise-?"

"John Quinn looks like a John Constantine who didn't smoke and takes regular exercise. And there was someone claiming to be you who looked a little less rotten but could change his shape. So did you confirm it was John Constantine, or could it have been either of them?"

The Demon looks away a little. "What the hell has he been doing?"

"If I knew that, I-."

"The other me. Where did he come from?"

"He escaped from Belle Reve."

Alan lifts Dr. Balewa up to us. Dr. Balewa blinks for a moment, then frowns.

"He used a blood marker as a resurrection point after inducing the wards in Belle Reve to kill him."

The Demon hesitates for a moment, watching us. Then he gives up, snarling.

"I made that marker! The only way someone else could use it is if they were so close to being me-. Or John made another me."

"Could he do that?"

"Why not? Morals weren't gunna stop him, were they? Maybe get a shield-soul who actually likes the pain, and-."

"No. If there were another soul present, I would hev felt it."

"John Constantine isn't exactly a stranger to pain."

"That's not enough. It's Hell. You can't just tough it-"

"Hey, fellahs! Could one of you take a look at this?!"

"-out."

"Excuse me." I float around the wheel and then fly down towards the sound of Sanderson's voice. He's below where we came in, and-. Upside down, standing on the-.

Wha-?

My orientation just changed. Even wearing my ring, down is now where 'up' was.

"Sandman?"

He raises his right hand, pointing towards-. A glass container, filled with what looks like a miniature dream storm. Glass pipes run off it, eldritch sigils carved lightly into the exterior. Here there are-.

"Doctor Mist! I think I've found Chaos crystals!"

Not a lot of them. There are still more of the golden Order crystals, keeping the whole of the machinery nice and orderly. The sparkly red Chaos crystals should be a discordant element, but… This isn't like any thaumaturgical work I've seen before, but based on the general structure they're… Incorporated. Somehow.

"This is dream sand, isn't it?" He's looking at another, smaller, glass container. "He got this when you freed me. He's been studying it. Working with it."

"Right, but-." I float back, trying to make sense of the gerbil run of glassware. "What does this do?"

"I think-?" Sanderson runs his gloved right hand along one of the sand tubes. "I think it-. Can you fly me down? I mean, up?"

I create a platform for him and he gets on. Okay, the shaft goes that way, the glass tubes appear to gather up there… Ring scan shows some sort of compartment that way, maybe. May as well try it.

"Yeah… That way."

Sanderson is looking up and trying to make sense of things. I'm not sure whether or not Morpheus's gift comes with enhanced senses, but-. Okay, is that some kind of filter? And…

And a large glass-walled booth? Dream storm stuff and dream sand is being… Funnelled into it, obscuring the contents.

"There's…" Sanderson steps of my platform and onto the support struts holding up the booth. "Someone… In there."

"Hello? Do you require assistance?"

"No."

The stuff inside the booth coalesces into… What is-?

Okay, it's an older John, white hair with a receding hairline and generally looking worn down.

"But I fear that you might."

John's original Liverpudlian accent has been worn down by decades of living in London. This man splits the difference between Liverpudlian and Received Pronunciation, and despite his haggard physical appearance his eyes are razor-focused.

"Whom do I have the pleasure of addressing?"

"In our youth, John called me The Golden Boy. As I called him The Sickly Boy."

"I've.. heard of you. I thought that the two of you merged together."

"We did. And given that you know that, perhaps you have some idea what this contrivance is for."

"Pulling you… Out? I half-thought that John Quinn was you."

"A weak attempt at misdirection. In my history-that-never-was, I carried the weight of the world on my shoulders. It was not a light burden."

"So who is John Quinn? And who is the Second Demon Constantine-? You know about the first one?"

He nods sombrely. "We were already merged when we had that stroke of brilliance. I take it that he's down below us as a counterweight?"

"Yes."

"John Constantine, the Hanged Man. You gave him more power than he could bear. Parts of him could cope with the power of Chaos, and parts could cope with the power of Order. But his whole self couldn't cope with both together."

"He used you and the Demon to offload it?"

"No. That wouldn't have worked, but it would have been far less dangerous. Instead, he used us to split himself in two."

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  11. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

So what, we got Golden Boy, and John Quinn, and they are both complete halves (of what's left) of Constantine?

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Jesus, how many Constantine's are there?!

He seriously needs some magical birth control.

13. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Wait, so we have two demon Constantine's (assuming one of the demons isn't just normal john taking the piss), John Quinn, golden boy and possibly another John running around.

What I don't understand is why didn't Quinn come clean immediately and say "I'm an artificial John, John created to be a lord of order."

I mean this assumes none of the Johns are lying.

14. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Fuck's sake John, what the hell did you do!? This is messed up, and I'm still lost on what's going on with the Demons!

I definitely think Constantine outdid himself with this harebrained scheme. I'm honestly waiting for when the universe implodes due to too many Johns in the same place Constantining about!

15. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I believe the official Vertigo/DC Tarot has John as the Fool, actually :). Plus the Tarot Archetype in the first Vertigo comics resembles John (or the other way around) too. Not sure who the Hanged Man was in the official Vertigo deck.

So there should be 4 Constantines right now, I believe? Original John, Demon Constantine, Golden Boy, the latter two being used as magical foci to split Original John into Quinn and the second Demon. Though I think I'm getting the sequence of events wrong (4 John Constantines, anyway, we also have his sister, Morgana's daughter, Gemma and John's long-lost nephew, though I don't know if 2 people can be the Laughing Magician at the same time or anything).

And then there's Anti-Life around just to make this even more fun. If only John had taken a metaphysical day trip and run into Hawk and Dove's patrons or something, maybe a lot of this mess could have been avoided. He probably wouldn't be a Constantine if that happened, though.

16. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

"where" to "were"

17. Ina_Meishou

Ina_Meishou Not too sore, are you?

That would require any version of Constantine to have some kind of communication skills more developed than pissing off everyone around himself.

Utterly impossible.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  18. Coltsguy

Coltsguy Colts fan. Anime fan. Breast and back fan.

I... think... we're at five of him. Two demons, Golden Boy, John Quinn, and a yet as seen chaos version. Unless Golden Boy or the other demon are the chaos version. Then it's four.

19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I think the new Demon Constantine is the other half of the split Constantine, yeah.

20. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Does anyone else thing that something very bad will happen to all of the (non-demon) Constantines if one of them dies? Something along the lines of how ground flour is dangerously flammable, the evaporating soul of a Constantine will cause nearby magic to run amok? Or a fragment will drain its surroundings to acquire enough energy to drag itself to the nearest living Constantine?

In other news, it looks like John is finally nearing the end of the Harry Potter series. What a shame he took a shine to Tom of all characters.

21. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Blaming someone else for your shitty life decisions yep he's John.

22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

There would be at least four at this point, maybe more, depending on how actively Original Recipe Constantine has been carving chunks off himself. And doesn't that sound like such a Constantine plan? Chop off all the bits that aren't working right and shove them into a homunculus of yourself and see what's left...

Ah, right, he's a bit behind the times, isn't he? Had Quinn been active as Fate before the Azerbijan thing?

Or someone else entirely with the same face. It seems to be something of a fad right now. :p

Honestly, if you knew what he was doing, it'd probably be something you'd feel obliged to stop. Which is probably why he hasn't been in touch...

Or so he believes, anyway. They did check that the Demon's cell is empty, right?

Ah, good, so that part was true. Given how much other stuff we can't trust right now...

Fellah's been getting around, hasn't he? Did you think what he did with you was special? :D

Unless Original John is a masochist (and I would not be surprised) a copy of him probably wouldn't be...

...Okay, guess he is. :confused: Why does this suddenly explain some things about him?

Oh, yeah, Sandy's still down below, isn't he? Joy of being the only non-flier (Well, the Doctor is being carried, but...)

And there's the bizarre arcane topography again.

That can't be accidental. I'm betting it's got something to do with this whole setup.

I'm guessing that's the linch-pin of the whole shebang. Best not to go tossing any wooden shoes in there, though... Not until you know what it does.

Fractals, mate. Chaos and Order in harmony.

Besides make for the world's most complicated hookah? :p ...What, you're gonna say John wouldn't try and smoke some of Dream's sand if he could?

And now I'm picturing a giant hour-glass-shaped machine... Made of kirby-tech.

Maybe there's some sort of seventh sense involved? A kind of intuition? If nothing else, something to help make the visions make more sense. Like the ability to see names of people involved, that sort of thing...

Well, that sounds like heavier restraints than what the Demon got. Evidently, whatever's in there has a lot more mystical oomph.

Well, at least they can talk. Maybe they know what the fuck's going on...

Oooh, boy. There's Constantine number five. And I think the universe has blown its vocal cords out, so it's now [Screaming Internally]...

And probably sounds a lot more like one of the Beatles than Sting.

...Well, shit. So this hasn't been a Golden Boy plot. He's been locked up the whole time, it seems.

Hey, he's good, but he's no miracle-worker...

Which probably explains the Dream Sand. Without the physical anchor of John's body and soul, he's little more than a dream now...

...So, this whole thing is a... What, a gyroscope, keeping the Constantines balanced and stable?

That means he pulled himself apart until he had something that could handle each bit? :confused: Huh, my guess in the introduction was closer than I thought.

...And Quinn got all the Order bits? So where's the Chaos part?

Man, that must have left him with a splitting headache. But seriously, this really is a Constantine plan at the core, isn't it? Couldn't trust anyone else with the power, so he just made more of himself to cope with it? I suppose that's one way to deal with consuming an energy field (or two) larger than your own head... But where did the Anti-Life come into it? Or has someone been taking advantage of the way Original John cracked himself apart? o_O We're gonna need more mops...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No, that all happened before Nabu was killed.

Bud-E, Chojin Patriarch and Cuchulin like this.
  24. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I think there are four.

He used "Golden John" and "Demon John"as weights to balance his soul enough to split into " Chaos John" the Demon form we met and "Order John" alias John Quinn.

I guess the Chaos and Order forms modelled themselves after the spiritually closer Demon and Golden Boy forms.

He needed the Dream sand to manifest Golden Boy, since he never technically existed.

And at some point the Order John got infected by Antilife

25. LC Poketoon

LC Poketoon Not too sore, are you?

From what I can tell john pulled a Adam warlock but rather then good an evil he split order an chaos.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

So rather than pursue the wiser Alchemical path of strengthening/improving himself to handle that power, he divides and thus weakens himself.

John's basically pulled a Voldemort.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You're falling into the same trap as LePaul and assuming it's actually possible to be a stable Lord of Balance.

kerleth likes this.
  28. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

The second "Demon" John who traveled with Paul/Alan/Mist/Sandy was about to marry Kit, the love of John's life, when they found him. That seems like a clue.

I would imagine the one trying to marry Kit is actual John.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

1. Sickly Boy + Golden Boy = Combined John
    2. Combined John - Demon John = Fic Start John
    3. Fic Start John + Klarion Sauce = Chaos John
    4. Chaos John + Nabu Sauce = Overload John
    5. Overload John / (Golden Boy + Demon John) = John Quinn + False Demon

I think that's everything.

30. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Hellblazer 39.
    According to The Golden Fogey, there are four. Himself, The Demon, and the two halves of John, one of whom is probably infected with Anti-Life.
    Thank you, corrected.