• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

'flight'?

How did Lyssa Drak kill Peldak? I got the impression that she made the book with Peldak's sacrifice, and I thought she doesn't have inherent powers, so what am I missing that made her strong enough to beat Peldak? I guess Peldak was really weak, and Drak probably had some magic without the book.

Peldak showed up wanting to challenge themselves against spooky dangers because they feel strong with the ring and jumped into the trap without being forced or dragged in. The shadow world blocks or absorbs or whatever all the light, even the light of magic rings. So peldak was completely depowered just like everyone else that went in there. I don't think they would have mastered their emotions or learned magic from Constantine to stay calm and cheat their way out of trouble.

Peldak showed up wanting to challenge themselves against spooky dangers because they feel strong with the ring and jumped into the trap without being forced or dragged in. The shadow world blocks or absorbs or whatever all the light, even the light of magic rings. So peldak was completely depowered just like everyone else that went in there. I don't think they would have mastered their emotions or learned magic from Constantine to stay calm and cheat their way out of trouble.
Yeah, that makes sense. I guess it was just that Drak seems to need the book (which seems to be made from Peldak) to access the Shadowlands, but she probably had some access without it, and maybe she already had the book and she just improved it with Peldak's sacrifice, or something.

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess it was just that Drak seems to need the book (which seems to be made from Peldak) to access the Shadowlands, but she probably had some access without it, and maybe she already had the book and she just improved it with Peldak's sacrifice, or something.

They had help from sinestro and his allies that are trying to get his yellow lantern core started up too. OL has been stumbling into them pretty much the entire time since earth got anti lifed.

I scan the cover, and… Yes. That's her skin alright. I try scanning… Oh. Apparently I can scan the shrine now, and…

"Her body's-. The rest of her body is in one of the workshops. Her species doesn't really have a funeral tradition-" Because corpses draw predators. "-so there isn't much point returning her body to her homeworld. I…" I exhale sadly. "If we can't get in contact with Lantern Ub'x, I can perform a Hellenistic funeral service? Unless anyone's got a better idea."
You have a body, why don't you just resurrect her?

I'm glad that we have got back the closeness that we had before..
"We could deal with the corrupted Infinity Man ourselves.
Thank you, corrected.
How did Lyssa Drak kill Peldak? I got the impression that she made the book with Peldak's sacrifice, and I thought she doesn't have inherent powers, so what am I missing that made her strong enough to beat Peldak? I guess Peldak was really weak, and Drak probably had some magic without the book.
The SI doesn't know, but if you catch a weak Lantern unawares then it's not that hard to brain them with a rock.

The only time Paul did a full ressurection he ended up literally in hell.
Didn't he successfully get a guy back from a Vietnamese afterlife? Although he was traumatised. It was only with the people who went to Hell that ran a risk of causing trouble of that sort.

I can't really remember how extraterrestrial afterlives work. If people die in space they end up as miserable ghosts (?) and I think the same happened to the souls that died on Mother of Mercy, but then I seem to remember something about how maybe people who die on thaumically inactive planets usually go to Source afterlives?

Talok seems like the sort of place to be thaumically active so I have no idea how Peldak has ended up.

I'm just glad that there are New Gods acknowledging OL's ascendancy.

Sure it may technically be a SWLIHN charm, but it counts.

Gateway (part 10)
21st August 2015
22:44 Japan Time

"You were..? You were there? Ho-how were you there?"

Captain Thompson's sake-addled brain seems to be having difficulty with the idea that Lieutenant Itami was in Ginza when the gate opened. Honestly, I'm a little surprised myself. A thin orange film covers them both to translate drunk-English into drunk-Japanese, and vice versa.

Diabo nods.

"Did you hear something before it opened?"

"No. Nnnnn. No. It's a shopping district, yano? I was… Just shopping. Wasn't even armed. Just… Just started tryna get everyone away from them. Until backup came."

"We didn't know that cities this big could exist." Diabo isn't actually drunk -he values his ability to spot assassins too highly to allow himself to get that intoxicated- but he is tipsy. "In our… In Sadera, it's so much smaller, and there are so many more soldiers that we could respond more quickly."

"We could respond quickly." Captain Thompson drops his right hand to his side, deciding that reaching for a refill isn't a good idea. "Had helicopters ready to go. An' the guys in the embassy, the marines, there were only a couple a' blocks away. All they got to-to-to do was shoot a couple a' those pig-guys."

Diabo frowns. "Marines?"

"Yeah?"

"On land."

"Yeah?"

"So… Wouldn't they be soldiers?"

"Don't fuckin' tell them that."

That doesn't seem to make any sense to him, but he appears to let it slide, slumping back against the settee.

"Anyway…" Captain Thompson frowns as he tries to remember his place. "Anyway. I know… Y'know… Japan-American… Diplomatic stuff ain't so hot right now, but what was up with that? I mean, we've been friends for decades. My sister-in-law's Japanese, an' her family... Okay, they don't live anywhere near Ginza, but they might have. It's like… There's plenty of people I don't like much, but if they were on fire right in front of me I'd still put them out."

Lieutenant Itami nods, eyes not entirely focused.

"I think… I think… You know everyone's supposed to call it 'The Special Region'?"

"Yeah, why is that?"

Itami's eyes drop to the floor. "It's a… Legal thing. So that we can pretend that it's part of Japan."

Captain Thompson frowns and shakes his head.

"I'm-. We are the Japanese Self-Defence Force. Not the Japanese Army. Because the treaty we signed at the end of World War Two made it so that is all we are allowed. It's in the constitution. And we can't conquer new land, because it's in the constitution."

"But that's…" Thompson's frown deepens. "But you're… Doing it anyway?"

"Sort of. Yes, but… No?"

"Oh. Like Iraq. And Afghanistan."

"No. N-o, they keep saying that we're not doing it like that."

"How is it different?"

"They haven't got to explaining that part yet. We only just started fortifying the other side of the gate."

"I'm sure your generals know what they're doing." Captain Thompson chuckles. "Glad someone learned how not to do it from those shit-shows. Word of advice? Make sure that your local allies aren't heroin-dealing child-rapists."

"Ah." Lieutenant Itami appears to realise that he should pay attention to a statement like that, but his brain isn't cooperating. "Okay?"

"Yeah, you wouldn't think that was something you… Something you had to spell out, but here.. we.. are."

There's a moment of quiet contemplation.

"You know everyone's supposed to call it 'The Special Region'?"

"Didn't we just..? Yeah? 'cause they're pretending it's part of Japan."

"I think… There's a plan."

"Sure?"

"No. I mean… Making relations worse with America. Calling it 'The Special Region'. Some things… If all we're supposed to do is defend Japan, a Self-Defence Force is all we need. But if we start arguing with America and they move their fleet and close their bases, and we might have to fight China by ourselves, then we need a bigger army."

"Oh. Yeah…"

"And I think… I think there's a plan. Because most people wouldn't see what they were doing, they just see America moving its military away. Which would make them worried. So… Maybe they could get the support to change the constitution."

"I could see that. But… They couldn't know about the gate. Could they?"

"No, but it's… There's an actual attack. People in Japan actually died."

"Well, yeah?"

"But if Americans actually help… That ruins things. Because if they get to Ginza too quickly, then it looks like we need Americans. But don't need a bigger army."

"Oooooooooohhh… So…"

"Nothing. There's nothing… It might not be real. I don't think we have a plan for being invaded like that."

"Britain does."

Three sets of eyes lock onto my ring, though in Diabo's cause it's more because I just reminded him that I exist. Lieutenant Itami frowns.

"The… British army has a plan for Roman soldiers teleporting into Britain. That seems a bit… Strange."

"Yes. And for the Biblical apocalypse. And for being invaded by an army of elves. And for a lot of other things like that. It's a planning exercise the British Army gives to officer cadets. If they're good enough, they go in a drawer, get assigned a reference number and become the official plan for that eventuality."

"Huh." The Lieutenant nods slowly. "It's weird, but it makes sense. It would have been helpful if we had something like that."

"So… Look." Captain Thompson leans a little closer to Diabo. "Can..? Can your people open more gates?"

"No. We couldn't even open this one. Our gods open them for their entertainment, and close them when they get bored. They might open one to your country… The Sanderan Empire wouldn't attack you, but some other nations might. Or they might not. It's not up to us."

"Can we pay them to open gates?"

"I don't know. Maybe. They want things, but if we could persuade them to open gates somewhere useful we would have been doing that already. And we wouldn't have come here."

"Yeah, that makes sense." Captain Thompson flops back against the settee. "Man, we coulda saved so much time just asking you this stuff."

Lieutenant Itami nods. "We could have just told you."

Diabo nods as well. "And we should have just left the gate alone."

Captain Thompson picks up his sake bowel and raises it as a toast.

"To doing stupid shit."

Diabo and Lieutenant Itami smile.

"To stupid shit!" / "To stupid shit!"

Last edited:
I'm just glad that there are New Gods acknowledging OL's ascendancy.

Sure it may technically be a SWLIHN charm, but it counts.
He also has some Solar charms. Ready in Sixty-Four Directions hasn't been necessary recently but the upgrade on Eight Directions is still in his arsenal.

Not sure whose charm !Exalt Ingroup! is, but it's safe to say it's Exalted.

"Nothing. There's nothing… It might not be real. I don't think we have a plan for being invade like that."

"Britain does."

Three sets of eyes lock onto my ring, though in Diabo's cause it's more because I just reminded him that I exist. Lieutenant Itami frowns.

"The… British army has a plan for Roman soldiers teleporting into Britain. That seems a bit… Strange."

"Yes. And for the Biblical apocalypse. And for being invaded by an army of elves. And for a lot of other things like that. It's a planning exercise the British Army gives to officer cadets. If they're good enough, they go in a drawer, get assigned a reference number and become the official plan for that eventuality."
I knew the British had a plan for a zombie apocalypse but I didn't know about this. Where did you learn about the planning exercises Mr Zoat?

21st August 2015
22:44 Japan Time

"You were..? You were there? Ho-how were you there?"

Captain Thompson's sake-addled brain seems to be having difficulty with the idea that Lieutenant Itami was in Ginza when the gate opened. Honestly, I'm a little surprised myself. A thin orange film covers them both to translate drunk-English into drunk-Japanese, and visa verse.
Ah, back to Gate-verse. I see that once they got past the introductions, they resorted to the universal language of soldiers nearly everywhere: Alcohol! :V And honestly, after everything they've seen in the past few days, they could use a drink or five...

Diabo nods.

"Did you hear something before it opened?"
Nothing that rational, sadly.

"No. Nnnnn. No. It's a shopping district, yano? I was… Just shopping. Wasn't even armed. Just… Just started tryna get everyone away from them. Until backup came."

"We didn't know that cities this big could exist." Diabo isn't actually drunk -he values his ability to spot assassins too highly to allow himself to get that intoxicated- but he is tipsy. "In our… In Sadera, it's so much smaller, and there are so many more soldiers that we could respond more quickly."
Yeah, historically, cities up to the medieval period were simply not that big (barring a few exceptions.) One of the main limiting factors tends to be food supplies. Bigger the city, bigger the population, the further afield they have to gather staple foods.

"We could respond quickly." Captain Thompson drops his right hand to his side, deciding that reaching for a refill isn't a good idea. "Had helicopters ready to go. An' the guys in the embassy, the marines, there were only a couple a' blocks away. All they got to-to-to do was shoot a couple a' those pig-guys."

Dibo frowns. "Marines?"
Yeah, pretty much one of their main duties outside of open wartimes. And given the political climate of Gate!Earth, I expect they're a little more proactive.

Amphibious Operations, you know...

"Yeah?"

"So… Wouldn't they be soldiers?"
And saying that would probably get you a punch in the mouth from a Marine. :p

"Don't fuckin' tell them that."

That doesn't seem to make any sense to him, but he appears to let it slide, slumping back against the settee.
Hey, the Saderan military doesn't have a similar elite force, does it? I could see them being as touchy about matters like that.

"Anyway…" Captain Thompson frowns as he tries to remember his place. "Anyway. I know… Y'know… Japan-American… Diplomatic stuff ain't so hot right now, but what was up with that? I mean, we've been friends for decades. My sister-in-law's Japanese, an' her family... Okay, they don't live anywhere near Ginza, but they might have. It's like… There's plenty of people I don't like much, but if they were on fire right in front of me I'd still put them out."
Simple human empathy. Unfortunately, international politics kind of stifles empathy in the name of patriotism, if not jingoism. :oops:

Lieutenant Itami nods, eyes not entirely focused.

"I think… I think… You know everyone's supposed to call it 'The Special Region'?"
Heh. A semantic dodge, I assume?

"Yeah, why is that?"

Itami's eyes drop to the floor. "It's a… Legal thing. So that we can pretend that it's part of Japan."
Ah, yes. Because other countries might think Japan's feeling a little imperial again. :rolleyes:

Captain Thompson frowns and shakes his head.

"I'm-. We are the Japanese Self-Defence Force. Not the Japanese Army. Because the treaty we signed at the end of World War Two made it so that is all we are allowed. It's in the constitution. And we can't conquer new land, because it's in the constitution."
All true... To be fair, the winning side was a little pissed off at them...

"But that's…" Thompson's frown deepens. "But you're… Doing it anyway?"

"Sort of. Yes, but… No?"
'Securing a potential risk to national security' would probably be the political explanation.

"Oh. Like Iraq. And Afghanistan."

"No. N-o, they keep saying that we're not doing it like that."
I can only hope things went a little better in that universe, but I suspect discussing it might bump into Rule 8... :oops:

"How is it different?"

"They haven't got to explaining that part yet. We only just started fortifying the other side of the gate."
And now that they know the Gate might not stay open, I suspect expansion plans have been curtailed if not abandoned.

"I'm sure your generals know what they're doing." Captain Thompson chuckles. "Glad someone learned how not to do it from those shit-shows. Word of advice? Make sure that your local allies aren't heroin-dealing child-rapists."

"Ah." Lieutenant Itami appears to realise that he should pay attention to a statement like that, but his brain isn't cooperating. "Okay?"
...No comment. <side-eyes Rule 8.>

"Yeah, you wouldn't think that was something you… Something you had to spell out, but here.. we.. are."

There's a moment of quiet contemplation.
A quiet contemplation of how their bosses are idiots.

"You know everyone's supposed to call it 'The Special Region'?"

"Didn't we just..? Yeah? 'cause they're pretending it's part of Japan."
I expect he's going somewhere with this. Let him think.

"I think… There's a plan."

"Sure?"
Probably a poorly thought-out plan, given the suddenness.

"No. I mean… Making relations worse with America. Calling it 'The Special Region'. Some things… If all we're supposed to do if defend Japan, a Self-Defence Force is all we need. But if we start arguing with America and they move their fleet and close their bases, and we might have to fight China by ourselves, then we need a bigger army."

"Oh. Yeah…"
...Which they're not allowed to have. Yeah, no winners in that scenario.

"And I think… I think there's a plan. Because most people wouldn't see what they were doing, they just see America moving its military away. Which would make them worried. So… Maybe they could get the support to change the constitution."

"I could see that. But… They couldn't know about the gate. Could they?"
Ah, the joy of their universe's author having political opinions.

"No, but it's… There's an actual attack. People in Japan actually died."

"Well, yeah?"
Wouldn't be the first time a nation got up in arms because people died from the actions of an enemy nation. honestly, I'm not even talking about anything more recent than 1900, either. It's a common casus belli.

"But if Americans actually help… That ruins things. Because if they get to Ginza too quickly, then it looks like we need Americans. But don't need a bigger army."

"Oooooooooohhh… So…"
Some arsehole in the government was playing stupid political games, and winning all the stupid.

"Nothing. There's nothing… It might not be real. I don't think we have a plan for being invade like that."

"Britain does."
Honestly, I suspect a lot do, they just don't talk about them...

Well, planners have to do something to justify their paychecks in peacetime. :p

"Huh." The Lieutenant nods slowly. "It's weird, but it makes sense. It would have been helpful if we had something like that."
There probably is a plan in the Pentagon's archives. Multiple, even. But no-one bothered to look them up yet.

"So… Look." Captain Thompson leans a little closer to Diabo. "Can..? Can your people open more gates?"

"No. We couldn't even open this one. Our gods open them for their entertainment, and close them when they get bored. They might open one to your country… The Sanderan Empire wouldn't attack you, but some other nations might. Or they might not. It's not up to us."
And I suspect they're starting to lose interest already...

"Can we pay them to open gates?"

"I don't know. Maybe. They want things, but if we could persuade them to open gates somewhere useful we would have been doing that already. And we wouldn't have come here."
Especially if they'd been able to peek ahead and see what they'd be facing...

"Yeah, that makes sense." Captain Thompson flops back against the settee. "Man, we coulda saved so much time just asking you this stuff."

Lieutenant Itami nods. "We could have just told you."
Sadly, the arseholes in charge...

Diabo nods as well. "And we should have just left the gate alone."

Captain Thompson picks up his sake bowel and raises it as a toast.
Bet that feels a little odd compared to a cup. Drinking from a traditional bowl is not easy for westerners....

"To doing stupid shit."

Diabo and Lieutenant Itami smile.

"To stupid shit!" / "To stupid shit!"
Ah, the bonding of men. By lamenting the foolishness of their leaders.

I'm guessing that's the last we'll see of them for a little while, then. With the Paragon's main plot basically done bar a debrief and this at a nice stopping point, it looks like we might get to move on to more concerning matters. Like Renegade dealing with Ah'rian's little coup and relocation of Atlantis. Which I am looking forwards to, for one.

Well, planners have to do something to justify their paychecks in peacetime. :p

Well, partially that. But also note - it's an assignment given to officer cadets. It's an exercise in creative, lateral thinking. Yeah, they could say to draw up a plan for an invasion by Potential Enemy Nation X - but they have those. They have lots of those. They don't need more, the cadet knows they don't need more, and odds are the cadet already knows one or more of the plans - they'd just be regurgitating it. By saying 'produce a plan for reacting to an extrauniversal gate' or 'defend the realm against an attack by Grand Fenwick', it both forces the cadet assigned the plan to come up with something original, and - perhaps even more importantly - it engages them by being interesting. It's the same reason the CDC has run literal, real-world exercises in which the entire thing is based on 'zombie apocalypse' - it's interesting to the participants, so they don't just yawn their way through it and forget 7/8th of it five minutes after the exercise finishes.

Last edited:
Ngl, not personally invested in Gateverse OL. Still, suppose I can wait to return to Paragon to continue reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back